Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• gib11gib11 Member Posts: 47
    Maybe this is the good picture then

• xumed07xumed07 Member Posts: 6
    This is my first post and I just want to say that I own a 2003 Toyota Corolla S. I really have no problems with it except I wish it had a little more power. I like the car and I plan on keeping the car for about 15 years.

On a side note, I wonder how much the new Corolla would weigh? Any guesses?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    My guess is it will put on 100-200 pounds just like the Yaris and Civic did just now going from gen to gen.

I am really hoping that the next Corolla at least maintains the fuel economy it already has now. The Camry just lost a point, the new Yaris maintains the old EPA numbers. I would hate to see them drop mileage to gain speed in something as utilitarian as a Corolla. And adding weight as they will undoubtedly do causes a concern as far as gas mileage.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yeah, I'm afraid you're right that the next-gen Corolla might gain between 100-200 lbs. I don't know if the next-gen. Corolla will be able to attain the new Civic's gas mileage, especially if Toyota replaces the 1.8L with a 2.0L. I believe the next-gen Sentra has a 2.0L 135 HP engine and it gets 29 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway.

I really don't care if the Corolla gets bigger. I like the current size the way it is. Besides, I am a single guy hoping to get into medical school, so I'll be single for a while. Like I said, I really don't care about space.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Thats because the sentra will have a 5or 6speed manual and a cvt.
  • fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    Hello Japanese Design Engineers!!! I would like a new 2008 corolla with this specifications: Corolla LE
    2.4VVTL with 180-200 HP with Hybrid Tecnology, header
    Tiptronic Transmision with 5 speed.
    Tires 17 inches with 215-55-17 tires.
    Nice Suspension, Front and rear Stability bar
    Trusty Brakes, 4 disc brakes, ABS, EBD.
    One Centered emission mufler 2 inches Diameter, square.
    Agressive exterior, sunroof.
    A new interior with digital gauge more nice than civic 2006
    Bose Digital Sound with CD, Casette, and Mp3 input, much better with satellite radio sirius.
    think about the lexus IS350 2006, and get every new tecnology design into my new corolla 2008. Thanks. fast and Style :)
    the head lamps with 8000 K white xenon lights, with a design that rotate 15 degres in angle for a better view in curve.

The fog light with 10,000 k blue or yellow xenon lights and internal high level adjusment. :D
    whew! Is that a Toyota or a Lexus you're describing?! :-)

I suppose they could have an XRS with some of that stuff as long as they decide to continue the XRS, but some of that stuff won't be available no matter what, I'm sure.

Swiveling HIDs are on my list of "no way that's going to happen"s. Tiptronic is on that list too. And I doubt they will go with digital gauges, as their big thing is the Optitron instruments, which the Corolla LE already has, and which the new Camry has in all trims. I think it likely that the next-gen will get Optitrons for all trims too.

Now it would be VERY interesting to me if they offered the Camry's new hybrid system on the Corolla. Rated around 190 hp and making about 40 mpg combined in the Camry, just think what it would do in a car that weighs a good 500 pounds less. However, I think the most you can hope for here is them plugging in the Camry's 2.4 for a sport version, with a 2.0 as the engine all the regular Corollas get. Hopefully, they will manage to improve the fuel economy a bit at the same time. I really don't want to see them backslide on that score, and after seeing both the new Yaris and the new Camry backslide, if only slightly, I am afraid they will do just that in the new Corolla too.

Oh yeah, and the new model better have stereos that play every conceivable digital medium of music known to man, and have sat radio options too, if Toyota hopes to keep it competitive.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Your comment about a Lexus os appropriate. For most people, the Corolla is an economy car, a little larger and nicer than entry-level.

Me, I'd settle for better seats, modern auto transmission, and increased fuel economy. One day gas is going to hit a price that causes most people who want more power to wonder, "What was I thinking."
    Is there still life in the 1.8L for the next Corolla? Apparently, the '07 Dodge Caliber's base engine is a 1.8L 148 HP w/ 125 lb-ft torque that uses Regular fuel; however, from what I've read, the Caliber is pretty heavy and the base version gets 26-27 mpg in the city and 30-32 mpg on the highway (msn.com).
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Out on a limb...

Toyota usually keeps engines and platforms for 10 yrs. This 1.8L is in it's 10th year now. IMO it goes to a 2.0L next Spring.

However this 1.8L still gets great FE and gets along very nicely when driving. Leaving it just wouldn't generate any 'WOW' appeal.

But what if the standard engine was the 2.0L but the top trim model had the 1.5L HSD power train from the Prius? Now there is two potential 'WOW's in the same way that the new Camry has two 'V6's' now.
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    mileage is abysmal. didnt that car replace the neon. what is chryler offering for those that dont want to live at the gas station?
    if you follow the desigen history from corolla since 1966 to 2006, tou will see the evolution from a compact, economic and lack of safety to a new order: a Midsize sedan that deliver power, economy, safety, confort, reliability and trust in costumers, that why its the most sold car in the world, more than VW Beetle. But I think the evolution and competition Continues, Corolla design Engineers have a new chalenge a midsize sedan with a revolutionary design that combine power and fuel economy with the hybrid electric technology, plus and agressive exterior and interior design to compete with civic market share, I new model to stand over the competition and keep and affordable balance in price, power, safety, confort andstyle. Fast and Style ;) 2008 Corolla A Revolutionary Design dedicated to enthusiastic and passionate drivers! :) ">
    I assume the WOW you refer to would be in the FE department? While I would appreciate that, I doubt many would be more than underwhelmed by a new powertrain for Corolla that made less power than the standard gas.

Actually, the way the hp wars have gone in the compact segment, the HSD from the new Camry would be just about appropriate in the new Corolla, as the sportiest trim (XRS or whatever it turns into). 192 hp and a combined mpg of 40 or more would be just the ticket to WOW. But what of the price? I am sure that would have to sticker well above $20K, and at least 20% more than the next cheapest Corolla, which would mean it didn't sell well, I think.

How about a turbo? Would Toyota get back into the turbo games for an extra-sporty Corolla? If they do that, I hope they make a lowered 2-door version too, harkening back to the 80s Corolla sport coupes. Since they have apparently decided never to have an actual sport model in the Toyota line-up any more, it would fill a large-ish gap.

Ooooo - imagine if they built a Corolla XRS with the 2.5 out of the IS250 - 200 hp and 180 lb-ft in a 2800-pound sedan. I like it! :-)
    Honda is about to have a Civic SI sedan for the first time ever, and the new Sentra will have a new SE-R - is Toyota to be totally left in the dust here?

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Why don't they just make the engine smaller but massage it to get the same power. Why does it have to get faster all the time? How about focusing on better mpg now that gas is spiriling upwards? Not everybody wants a hybrid.
    There is public perception as stated above. Wheher it's right or not a vehicle has to be in the same class as the others or many buyers will ignore it or will not give it serious consideration. The vehicle has to be capable enough and have a wide enough appeal to attract 350,000 new buyers every year.

A new 2.0L with 150-ish hp but the same FE as the current 1.8L would be a strong selling point to continue to attract new buyers. But add the 1.5L+HSD with 60-70 mpg FE as the premium trim and that's a huge attraction for both the traditional Corolla buyer as well as the environmentally conscious one looking for a less expensive option to the Prius and Camry.
    those pics are of the European model, with which the NA model has shared little except a name since time immemorial. I think that 5-door is most likely the next Corolla Verso across the water.

I would love it if there were a proper Corolla hatch next time around, though, not one quite so large as the Matrix. I would like to see the Matrix renewed too.

dudleyr - I hear you. I would love it if Toyota would do that, but do you really suppose they would boost the FE rating when the current model is already nipping right at the heels of the brand new Yaris model? Who would buy the Yaris after that, unless the new Corolla's price jumps way up (which is unfortunately quite possible :-()

Not to mention, in the real world the Prius does 45-48 mpg. Imagine if the next Corolla would do real-world 40-42. That is so close they would see a decline in Prius sales, I think.

Someone can tell if there`s some page to contact japanese design from toyota? I would like to describe them my ideas about the new corolla in power,2.4, FE Hybrid, transmision, tiptronic 5 speed, wheel comand, new trusty brakes, stability, 4 inches wider, better wheels and tires, better xenon head light, new egonomic seats and interior console, digital gauge, new exterior, new power train, all wheel drive, I think they cant add all these stuff in a sporty version, and still keep de FE near 30-32 mpg, and the price raise to 23,000 USD, think about the Mazda 3S, the sentra R, or the civic SI, I want a new corolla fun to drive!!!! in sedan version, and keep ahead of competition. But I don`t want mechani six speed transmision, think in Rush Hours. Fast and Style, :D
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    mpg of 40-42+. granted this is primarily highway driving and its a 5 speed. even with a 50/50 city-highway mix im getting 37-39 mpg. im beyond happy with this and i didnt have to spend the extrsa $$$$$$$$$$ for a hybrid.
    Please keep searching the web to fin more picture from corolla 2008 an post it!! :) DId you see the new yaris lately!!!looks like like somebody wash a Corolla and ShrinK!!!! :):D
    This is intentional btw. Toyota does it all the time when a new major launch is being prepared. ( ses new RAV preparing the way for the new Highlander ) ( see new Avalon/XLE Camry preparing the way for new ES350 ).

The Yaris sedan is a mini Corolla with more features than the CE but at the same price. A buyer can choose a stripped Corolla or a loaded Yaris. It helps to keep the Corolla insulated from severe price pressure.

Now if a hard bargainer wants to buy a CE Corolla for $13000 he can get a loaded Yaris for the same price. It's very smart marketing.
    I was checking the spec from corolla verso, there`s an diesel engine 2.2 DID, with 136 HP, that is faster 0-60 mph than the gasoline version, I ASk, How is this possible?? somebody please tell, Fast :) & Style ;) With the petroleum at US$75 Barrel, it`s much better think about economy and no to much in power. :(
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    I just read thru the last 100 or so posts here as I will be replacing my 2000 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 in the next two years. I've pretty much reached the point where I'm either getting a Corolla or a Civic.

But this stuff??? The posts about Xenon HID self-leveling headlamps? 200 + Horses and six-or-more-speed trannys? Or, from just above, Hopefully, they will manage to improve the fuel economy a bit at the same time, in relation to adding liters, horses, and still spending less time and cash at Exxon than does the owner of a Chevy Suburban?

There is something Economists call "The Law of Diminishing Returns." Essentially, what this law boils down to is adding features and value (in the case of autos, bigger, faster, options, features, and gizmos) gradually produces a lesser result over time: there is a point where a product is "the best it can be" and all that is required from that point out is keeping the quality superlative, not adding features.

The Corolla is just where it needs to be, "youse wiseguys."

The Corolla is an economy car. ECONOMY car. It's a DAMN NICE economy car, but, at the end of the day, it's still an ECONOMY car.

All you pavement-blasters out there? Either embrace the SEMA mentality and learn to do your own mods rather than whining for Toyota to hand them to you -OR- do like the Medschool Candidate and get the training for an income to blow $165 grand on a Benz SL because, from the sounds of it, that Benz is what you really want: it already has all the features described built-in.

A Benz SL is *NOT* an economy car - and I think illustrates the feature difference between a Corolla and, say, pretty much anything else, far better than I can.

The reason I'm piping up my two cents worth is this - like the MD Candidate, I'm getting a medical education as well and the reality is, I just don't have a boat-load of cash to throw around. I spend a crap-load of time at the university, a crap-load of time at the hospital, and a crap-load of time in libraries.

And, realistically, I, too want a decent car. I like driving. I like comfort and style. I like features. I like some ooomph when I hit the gas.

I want a car that has nice creature-comforts like leather seats, an integrated power package, and a good stereo. I want a nice smooth ride with really tight steering and handling. And, given my real-world life ADDED TO some predictions that gas will hit $4.00 a gallon this summer?

I want to be pumping my already-limited funds into something other than my gas tank.

The current Corolla can offer all those features AND the MPG I just described. And given the interior aesthetic is pretty tasteful (Edmunds and Motor Trend compare the quality to bordering on Lexus - and from what I see, I agree) and that the Corolla can now be had with "aftermarket" leather from a Toyota-approved, OEM, airbag-compatible supplier (Bartlett Corp, http://www.bartlettcorp.com/), I only have one hope: that Toyota takes what it already has and just makes it better.

Having driven the Corolla S in a 5-speed and comparing it to the Civic (both 2006)? The Civic has more interior road-noise and engine-noise than the Corolla. And while the Civic may be a tad "tighter" in handling, the end-result is *NOT* better: unlike a Lexus where "smooth" and "tight" meet in a dream-like synergy, the Civic is just "tight" without the "smooth."

For what it is, the Corolla is really good. I'm especially fond of the Corolla S model and would like to get that one in the 5-speed with curtain airbags, sunroof, aluminum interior trim and the Bartlett seats (probably two-tone, charcoal-and-tan).

My only concern is that Toyota will turn the Corolla will turn into what the Camry USED to be . . . and that just ain't the car I want. And given I have to wait 'till next year to buy . . . I may end up SOL because, after doing the comparision between Corolla S and Civic LX/EX?

I really do like the Corolla better.
    My only concern is that Toyota will turn the Corolla will turn into what the Camry USED to be . . . and that just ain't the car I want.

To clarify, I meant the original V-6 with 5-speed SE version that a lot of kids pimped-out after their dads cast the car off (late 1980s, early 1990s).
    Hello SonataBeam!!!
    I`m agree with you, Corolla is a midsize car with FE vision in design mind. Some facts that you already now from corolla:
    Best selling car in history.
    Safety
    Confort and soft to ride
    reliability
    All mechanic knows how to fix it!!
    Yor can't find parts in a grocery store!!! (Is easy to find)
    Easy to sell and keep the price. speccially sedan.

I Know about the crisis and the gas increasing prices, but think about competition: Corolla is nor fun to drive (except for XRS), if you check the Civic SI, Subaru, WRX, Mitsubishi Evo X, I want a Corolla Powerfull and fun to drive, and Keep ahead of competition, Corolla is losing market and Japanese market Manager Knows it!!! The need to create a new Platform with atractive exterior design, ergonomic and digital interior, a more powerfull engine, transmision, a better stability and brakes. thats why I am betting safe for a new corolla 2008.
    Mr. Sonata Beam, if you want an economic car, think about a toyota Prius or Yaris, maybe a Honda Fit. :P :D
    at its heart, Corolla is meant to be an economical car. The fear is that now that Toyota has Yaris and the little Scions to fill the roles of "economical" and "gas-sipping", it is going to lux up the Corolla to extract profits better, figuring it has the "bottom" of the market covered with other models.

I hope not. I hope Toyota still remembers what Corolla is and has been for the last 30 years.

With the amount of luxury features you are looking for, fastandstyle, I am not sure why you are looking for a Corolla. Perhaps it is out of the same wish we all have that Toyota had any genuinely sporty models left in its line-up? But molding the next Corolla to fill that gap is inappropriate, I think. It is primarily a commuter car, economical to buy and operate, and reliable at the same time. It is one of the few models on the market today to survive as long as it has with such a consistent mission.

Now, with all of Toyota's global resources, it would be like the snapping of fingers for them to find some other model to import to the U.S. that could be fast, stylish, and luxurious by various turns. Look at the Avensis on whose chassis the Scion tC is based - how about they bring sedan and hatch versions of that here with hotter engines? Toyota is just not committed to this sort of thing outside its Lexus line, that is the problem.

Yep - you hit the nail on the head, there, in my opinion.

The fact one can get a Corolla with some added creature-comforts and even some neat exterior features (I'm thinking the "S" ground effects, wheels, and fogs) can even make for a stylish economy car.

Now, with Bartlett getting the sanction from Toyota to supply the leather (Bartlett is actually the original OEM supplier for Toyota USA) via approved aftermarket restylers directly to consumers, one can even get a GROOVY economy car.

What fastandstyle wants is a Civic SI or a Corolla XRS.

Sure, there is a place for such cars.

But there is a place for the decent, stylish economy car, too.

Yaris is okay - but the weird center-stack dash gauges and the fact it's so darn small are more "first new car."

I'm in the 30-something range; I don't want to spend more than 22 grand at most; and laying tracks on pavement is both expensive on gas and tires.

It also leaves the utterly wrong image commuting to and from a hospital ER: namely irresponsible.

I just hope they stick with what they have and make that BETTER.

Fast just needs to bite the bullet and get a 3-year lease traded Lexus IS: that car, not the Corolla, is what he's describing.
    ...not to mention, I'll be trading a Hyundai Sonata V-6 with absolutely every possible option on this car.

The reality is, the newer Hyundais are okay (mine is now 6 years old) . . . but the long-term quality is not the same as Toyota.

Add that even 30 MPG is crap when gas is $3.50 a gallon, and the 'Yota Corolla looks better every day - especially given similar MPG numbers out of the Camary Hybrid cost about ten grand more.

Which leads to the other point: the Yaris is a kid/starter car. The Prius is neat - but also has that damn weird dash design. But for decent options?

Try a price near 30 grand US Dollars.

Corolla S. With an approved Bartlett interior. 5-speed. Sunroof, curtain airbags.

For me, that would do it nicely.

I just hope that car I describe will be AROUND 18 months from now.

Wasting time on forums is easy, huh (and fun, too)?
    that's not consistent: if you want a Corolla S with those options, then you should be aware that a similarly equipped Prius will NOT be anywhere "near 30 grand US dollars". In fact, the most base model would have everything you want except the curtain airbags ($650 option) and the moonroof, which isn't available from the factory at any price.

But the point is, the Prius is a luxury gas-sipper to Yaris' spare and spartan gas-sipper (and Prius has some more cargo space due to the hatch design).

GAWD, I hope Toyota keeps its head screwed on straight and doesn't drop the FE rating of the '08 Corolla. The first time I get any inkling from advance reports that that will be happening, I am going to have to think seriously about grabbing one of the last of the '07s. Or just giving Corolla up as an future alternative for me.

I really hope Toyota keeps some sort of Corolla hatch in the line-up though. I am just going to keep on repeating that here in the hopes that the psychic vibrations of my words reach the product planners at Toyota! :-P

• ic_designeric_designer Member Posts: 28
    Diesel engines generate lots of torque at low RPM, great for get up and go situation. 2.2 D-4D 140 (134 HP)engine genarates 310 N-m (228 lb-ft) @ 2000 RPM, but 1.8 VVT-I (127 HP) only generates 170 N-m (125 lb-ft)@ 4200 RPM. Maximum torque is only available at high rpm for the gasoline engine. That is why diesel is faster than gasoline for the 0-60 mph.

1 N-m = 0.73756 lb-ft
    that's not consistent: if you want a Corolla S with those options, then you should be aware that a similarly equipped Prius will NOT be anywhere "near 30 grand US dollars". In fact, the most base model would have everything you want except the curtain airbags ($650 option) and the moonroof, which isn't available from the factory at any price.

Ummmm - try again.

Prius Base: $21,725

Package 8 (only one with leather): $6890

Shipping and delivery: $580

Accessories: $470

Subtotal: $29,665

You can confirm via http://www.tmsbuyatoyota.com.
    To insure an accurate result;

Corolla S: $15,150

Option D: $2,960

Shipping and delivery: $580

Accessories: $768

Subtotal: $19,548

Casback (500)

New subtotal: $19,048

Bartlett interior: 900-1000 installed

New subtotal: 20,048.

Just shy of ten grand less.
    I missed the part about needing the leather. But of course, you can go get the Bartlett leather for around $1000 in any car, can't you? Why buy some huge awful package for the Prius? Just get the base car with SAB and curtains for $22K, spend $1000 putting in the leather seats, and voila! A $23K alternative to that $20K Corolla you just built. :-)

I mentioned earlier that 22K was my upper limit.

Part of my own personal plan is moving from the current house I have about 20 grand equity in to a neighborhood closer to both the university, the hospital, and my community affiliation. I plan to sell the current house in the next 6 or so years.

Given a similar home in that particular neighborhood would increase the mortgage by 50%, why even waste a grand on something that, in the end, just depreciates???
    I clearly have a liking for a nicer car with some creature comforts. I also clearly like reasonable punch and decent handling.

Being a car fan is not an issue: I am a car fan.

BUT - until I have cash to blow without worry, budgetary sensibility has to rule, too - whether at purchase, at pump, or in upkeep.

I mean, outside actors, Republican-affiliated petroleum execs, and Hollywood plastic surgeons, who has dough to blow these days?

I know I don't! Ergo, my ultimate goal being a goovy, well-appointed, decent-driving economy car.

I also think you may have missed my comments about finding the Prius dash annoying. Splitting a series of digital readouts across a dashboard and center-stack may appeal to the "Jetsons" and "Star Trek" fans in the driving community . . . .

I like gauges. Real gauges. With needles pointing at numbers.

The Corolla, in current form, is perfect.

Given I also spent 12 grand on putting a new roof on this home I want to sell in 6 years or less, though, means no Corolla until at least next year.

If, in design, the Corolla goes the way of the current Civic?

I'll just keep the Sonata and start taking the bus.

Seriously - I'm not kidding.

I love the Civic sheetmetal . . . but it's much louder and harsher than the Corolla.

And it has a weird dash, too.

I guess my ideal car would be the Camry Hybrid, but loaded that is over 30: no go until better cashflow!

;)
    This isnt accurate since there is much more of everything in a Prius at $30K than a Corolla at $20K.

It's the wrong comparo ... but if you do compare the two you should take a base Prius at ~ $22300 add pckge #3 ( $1500 ) and then add the same Barlett interior ( $1000 )then subtract the $3150 tax credit.. It's more like $1600 difference.

While the Corolla looks and drives sportier the Prius is more comfortable and about 30% better on fuel. Each tho appeals to different buyers so both are correct.

It's not $10000 it's $1600 difference in price.
    Camry hybrid, now we're talking. The leadfoots at R&T just did a 300-mile test, managed to get 37 mpg from the Camry hybrid. That's about what I would expect to get from a Corolla stick, maybe a point or two less. Too bad there's no stick for the Camry hybrid, and yes, there's the small matter of the $30K price tag and what will undoubtedly be long lines and no deals under sticker, just like Prius. :-(

But if Toyota can just (please, please) hold the line on the 32/41 EPA rating for the '08 Corolla redesign (adjusted, of course, for the new EPA testing procedures that will take effect 1-2-07), I will be satisfied. I think they can do it, but I am not sure there is the will to do it, now that they have the 34/40-rated Yaris below Corolla in the line-up. More power and luxury features may help the new Corolla better compete with the up-and-coming new Elantra and the new Civic (not to mention Sentra - who knows what it will look like for '07 arriving this fall, but with the pretty nice Versa below it in the Nissan line-up, it will probably be loaded up with nice stuff in base form), but will probably result in a 5-10% slide in fuel economy, is my guess. It used to be you could count on Toyota to improve the fuel economy of its models with each successive generation, but no more.

Side-stepping, that's the best I am hoping for, side-stepping. :-/

Am I mistaken, or are those credits being phased out over 2007 thru 2010?

If I am, then I stand corrected - but the last time I checked, the credit was scheduled to diminish over time to zero.

???
    Camry hybrid, now we're talking.

Yeah - I know a doc/faculty member who manged to get one just a week or so ago via some mad genuflections and a relative who owns a dealership in one of the nearby states (Jersey, I believe???).

VERY nice vehicle - she got it utterly loaded: JBL stereo, leather, aluminium trim, the whole damn thing.

So far, she's getting an average of 39 (not a lead-foot) and the car is probably not even pushing 1,000 miles.

I really liked the interior in it: tawny leather with brushed aluminium trim. VERY "Lincoln," but with a sort of Toyota-European kind of flavor. I think her sticker with tax, title, and plates was floating just over 35, though (she won't give an exact number - and yes, I know I was rude to ask).

Money does seem to cure a lot of ills, no???
    Yes through the beginning of 2007 for Toyota... unless the movement afoot in Congress to extend them suceeds. But then the new Corolla will be out and it may even have it's own hybrid version. Time will tell.
    I just reviewd the Camry Hybrid forum.

Seems everyone is paying 30 for a Camry Hybrid with all four possible packages added.

Thanks to a relative who moved to CA, I know it costs about 5 grand to ship a car via flatbed from Atlantic to Pacific coast: that Camry I noted above?

I'm betting the whole house she bought it in CA and had it shipped here to New York State on her own dime.
    there won't be a Corolla hybrid. Just a gut feeling, nothing more. If there ever is a Corolla hybrid, I'm betting it's the very last hybrid model Toyota phases in after it has done the hybrid treatment on all the others.

there won't be a Corolla hybrid. Just a gut feeling, nothing more. If there ever is a Corolla hybrid, I'm betting it's the very last hybrid model Toyota phases in after it has done the hybrid treatment on all the others.

I bet you are right, too. Makes a good deal of sense.

I'm betting Avalon is next for HSD.

On reflection, I think the desire for, say, two (or even three) Corolla lines makes sense.

For people like me, the LE and S to compete with the Civic DX and LX and also the Civic EX.

For people like the rubber burners, the XRS to compete with the Civic SI.

Coupe, 4-door, and either wagon or hatch bodystyles would be good too.

That way, everyone can get a "perfect fit" Corolla (and Toyota could limit option packages at the same time to help keep costs down).
    HSD schedule..
    Sienna is definitely first
    Tundra is second
    Updated Highlander
    Corolla is in the wings IMO
    Gen3 Prius

Toyota is committed to 'having a hybrid option for every segment' ( key word ) according to a recent statement.

At the moment there is no small vehicle hybrid, although the Prius could be shrunk into this segment now that the Camry is out.
    I am surprised there will BE a gen3 Prius. Once HSD is spread out across the line, why continue it, unless there is some other new Toyota tech that the next Prius will showcase?

Just drop HSD in the next Matrix, and be done with it.

As I understand it the Prius is intended to be the 'launch platform' for all new techie developments.
    Gen2 - BT, affordable Navi, SKS + push start.

Gen3 - ? Rumors rampant about PHHEV with up to 10 mi range on electric; 90-100 mpg, Li-ion batteries, plus???
    Hello show new pictures corolla 2008!!!!

Sonata Beam, don`t you think corolla is losing market with the new "spaceship" Honda Civic Si, The new Mitsubishi EVO X, Sentra R, Subaru WRX and Mazda 3S.

Okey I am agree with you about a FE and afordable price, but I need a corolla ahead the competition, Why Not?
    Maybe is going to cost 25K to 28K. A Price range to this car range. :)
    If yo check the exterior design from corolla 2003, looks pretty close to Lexus IS200 from 2002. Maybe the new Corolla 2008, will have a similar exterior design like the new LexusIS250, 2006.
    Because the current 2003 corolla design it`s being transfer to the new 2006 Yaris.
    Give me some feedback about my new guess, Has some logic??
    :):D