Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    Sonata Beam, don`t you think corolla is losing market with the new "spaceship" Honda Civic Si, The new Mitsubishi EVO X, Sentra R, Subaru WRX and Mazda 3S.

Given I don't work for Toyota and am in no way involved in market research, demographics, and consumer spending, my answer is, "no - and even if I have an opinion, it's irrelevant because I don't work for Toyota."

There is a place for the zippy little cars - and that is what the Corolla XRS as well as Toyota-authorized TRD mods for Toyotas address: zippy little cars. SEMA is a good place for more info on aftermarket mods that manufacturers recognize, too. I suggest you get familiar with these three ideas.

As for "spaceship," I have this story to share with you.

When I graduated high school in May of 1986 (was 17 - do the math), that VERY same month, my Mother bought a new Continental with a digital dash. At first, we were all, "Ooooo! Cooooool! It's the Star Trek Lincoln!"

And, of course, I always wanted to drive her car, not mine, precisely because it was the Star Trek Lincoln.

As myriad wee annoying things about that car gradually led to collective mounting irritation, my Mother finally found a way to solve the issues.

Her solution?

An E-class Mercedes-Benz station wagon equipped with gauges and independent circuitry for things like "windows" and "seats" and "climate control."

"Trendy looks and gizmos" are only about trendy looks and gizmos. Quality and practicality are another issue - as evidenced by how RARELY the really-high-end builders change their interiors and sheet-metal.

You will have your road racer, rest assured: between the XRS model and TRD mods you can buy for any Toyota (and have installed, no less) from your dealer, all your needs will be addressed. SEMA affiliated auto restylers can also add cold air intakes, light turbo boosts, spring-lowering kits, and low-resistance exhausts to your car, too.

My needs, as with most Corolla-buyer's needs, are about a nice, reasonably-priced, well-equipped, well-made ECONOMY car.

If you must road race in spite of all, I suggest you do like my mom: marry a dude with lots of dough and embrace the idea that, whether you put the dough in a car or whether you put the dough on the grill and set it ablaze, you will have about the same result at day's end (although the former requires a good mechanic; the latter just requires some matches).

Besides, if you take the above option, you can go for a BMW M3, which is more the car you are describing, and just entirely ditch the Corolla altogether.

In a sentence, my friend, the key point here is this: A Corolla is a Corolla, not an M3: an M3 is an M3.

I swear, from reading you, you really, really, really sound like you want an M3.

Or the wee Lexus.
    I *JUST* got off the phone with my younger brother (he will be 35 this summer) today - he lives in Los Gatos, about an hour south of Berkley (where his wife is doing her doctorate).

His first car in 1989 was a 5-year old Lotus. I think it was an Elan Lotus; the really fast 4-banger, whichever model it actually is.

The Lotus got totaled in Washinton DC when, while parked, it was rear-ended by a very amazingly drunk (and fast) driver.

His second car was a Legend coupe, 5-spd. He kept that until 2000, when he wanted something REALLY fast. Nothing bad happened to that car in 180 thousand miles.

So he bought an M5 sedan. It was, indeed, really fast.

The M5 got wasted by a combination of unmarked pavement ending (about an 8 inch drop) and subsequently getting swiped by a garbage truck. Both times, the car was repaired, but it was "not the same."

So two years (or perhaps three or four now???) or so ago, he got an M3. Fast. But cheaper.

The M3 has been peppered by Cali road debris like crazy as a result of drives up to see his wife - and by the Berkley crowd literally mashing bumpers together to make parking space (he describes the bumpers now as "technicolor").

Brother was planning on an Acura TSX because it's easier on gas than the M3, sporty, and the least expensive of these high-performance cars: he decided he does not want to pay so much money to drive.

So, on a test drive, just today . . . the salesman backed the TSX into a cement parking post in a lot where the salesman was demonstrating the tight turning circle. Left a huge, brilliant yellow stripe on the deep-forest-green bumper.

Poor guy (brother) has thrown in the towel: he's getting a Corolla S - especially given a gallon of 87 octane is $3.59 where he lives.

I suggested he check out the 5-speed and find out who the authorized Bartlett installer is.

I love irony!!!
    especially given a gallon of 87 octane is $3.59 where he lives.

I meant 91 - not 87: sorry 'bout that
  • mark63mark63 Member Posts: 27
     Corolla  Toyota

World preview on teenage eye Corolla magazine

The toyota world car and Corolla where at worldwide 140 national or more years 1,000,000 or more is sold this summer, carry out baton pass in the teenage eye. As for the inside of the world having observed as the car which represents Japan until you say, it was found with investigation of the scoop group that the labored work which meets the expectation without, is prepared. To summer only in the world where it cannot wait, just this journal delivers the decision raw photograph of that new model Corolla with the monopolistic scoop.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fww- w%2emag%2dx%2ecom%2fblog%2findex%2ehtml
    The toyota world car and Corolla where at worldwide 140 national or more years 1,000,000 or more is sold this summer, carry out baton pass in the teenage eye. As for the inside of the world having observed as the car which represents Japan until you say, it was found with investigation of the scoop group that the labored work which meets the expectation without, is prepared. To summer only in the world where it cannot wait, just this journal delivers the decision raw photograph of that new model Corolla with the monopolistic scoop.

What the hell was that?! :surprise:
    Mark,

You know what you doing. Move zig - for great justice.
    It's the left side...........
    It just sounded a hell of a lot like the .mov Zero Wing intro linked on this page below.

http://sun.dragon.gr.jp/columns/allyourbase/allyourbase.html

Look for "ZERO WING海外版 OP."

Click it.

Laugh. It's funny.

Make your time.
    Were supposed to be either Korean of Japanese characters.
  • fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    Well!!! One picture talks more than one thousands sarcastic words!!!! Check Around. looks like the new lexus IS2006. i`m talking about the future corolla 2008. :):)

Check the link in message 309.
    Well!!! One picture talks more than one thousands sarcastic words!!!!

I'm not sarcastic - I'm utterly serious.

You are just not getting a Lexus-rebadge at a Corolla price, Fast. That's daydreaming.

It won't happen - in your lifetime, or in mine.

Proof?

Why does Toyota make a Lexus, in the first place?

Why does the Lexus cost more?

Toyota is not in business to make your dreams come true for a few pennies.

Toyota is in business to make as much money as possible, just like any other for-profit industry on the planet.

Check Around. looks like the new lexus IS2006. i`m talking about the future corolla 2008.

Check the link in message 309.

I did check out the link - ergo my comments about the readability of the language, aggah keh'tahbeh bozzorg.

It looks just as much as a Nissan Altima as a Lexus.

But, hey, like I said, TRD (Toyota Racing Design) and SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) will take care of all your hopes and dreams (seriously - that is what these folks do: make cars like the Corolla more like a Lexus). Your Toyota dealer can get you all sorts of stuff from TRD and SEMA to make your Corolla exactly what you want it to be.

That said?

Your Corolla will never be a Lexus Is-250.
    I could not open the link in your message N. 313. What is thos link about??? A new picture from corolla 2008???
    PLease let me know :)
    It's actually my own twisted sense of humor. The 1990s video game "Zero Wing" ended up having the intro translated about as effectively as the Google translator. The post with the Google translator text reminded me of the Zero Wing intro.

Not pictures.

I still think that picture posted on the Asian site could pass for an Altima, too: similar lines.
    http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3545/557/1600/corolla.0.jpg

It's the same photo revealed in my last post......

I check it out.

Looks seriously Mitsu, IMHO.
    I check it out.

Looks seriously Mitsu, IMHO.
  • supra4lifesupra4life Member Posts: 5
    It's the current Corolla under some wraps look at it more carefully. No way this car is the next-generation Corolla AND no way it comes out in August 2006, it's supposed to be a 2008 model.
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    Agreed, the tail lights are the same as the 06's if you look closer. Talked to a dealer yesterday, and he said that the 07's will be no different than the 06's but the 08's coming out in early 07 will be. Wish Toyota would refresh the 07's like they did with the 06's in Japan and I just might purchase one.
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    http://www.intellichoice.com/future/future/year/2008

says end of 07. Anyhow, hope they keep the prices down.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    "Edgier" is the key word in description of the new Corolla. Toyota has sold a lot a cars that were often labeled "boring." But they were practical.

Windshields with extreme rakes scream style. Lowered roof lines look sleek. But they also mean less usable room, less ease of entry/exit to the car, etc. The 2007 Camry, for example, achieved the dubious distinction of extending the wheelbase and reducing interior volume at the same time.

Meanwhile, Yaris & Fit demonstrate that it's possible to design attractive cars with more usable space than other, much larger cars.

I will now step down from my soapbox.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The Camry's interior passenger space drop is less than 1 cubic foot, owing almost entirely to a (thankfully) lowered roofline that makes the greenhouse look much less cartoonish and added side impact protection. The wheelbase extension helped get some of that room back, and you fail to note that in several dimensions, Toyota increased usable space - footwell room, and rear legroom among the notable improvements.

Actual comparison, per Toyota's spec sheet:
    101.4 cu. ft in the '07 w/o moonroof vs.
    101.8 cu. ft in the '06 w/o moonroof.

OMG WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?

(The real loss in the Camry is cargo space, down from 16.7 cu. ft. to 15, and I'm not sure that has anything to do with the windshield).

~alpha
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I thought someone might point out that the EPA volume reduction was small. True. But that, I'm afraid, understates the loss in usable space. As the windshield angle increases, so do does space, fore and aft, that is largely useless.

Yep, rear leg room is up, a plus. But head room is down, a minus for those not height challenged. Anyone wanting decent head room now has 2 rather odd choices: SUV or something in the Yaris, Fit category.

As you put it, the lowered roof line looks better. My point, exactly. So, the Corolla heads in the same direction, and function will follow form.
    Hello Sonata!!! Do you remenber whwn I ask you, about the lost market with the new civic design, The CEO from corolla hear me, enjoy!!! :)
    2008 Toyota Corolla
    Expect Toyota to get edgier with its next-generation Corolla, hitting showrooms in late 2007--especially after Toyota execs demanded a last-minute redesign after seeing the daring Civic at the Geneva Motor Show. This change illustrates the automaker's resolve to shake its "conservative" image, at the penalty of about six months' production delay. The 2008 should bridge the generation gap between the Scion and Toyota lines and will have more interior volume than the current model. While the Scion roster consists of hatchbacks, the Corolla will continue here as a three-box sedan, with hatchback versions for overseas markets only. A hybrid-powered version may follow
    Well, that WOULD be a better source: why you still harp on my opinion, though, still baffles me.

I'm finishing training to work in an operating room assisting with general surgery.

I'm not an auto executive.

I assume you can, in some small capacity, understand this fact?

As I stated before and will state again: as far as the car goes? What I think?

Irrelevant.

Although, frankly, if the new Corolla does not offer me what I happen to want?

I'll buy a different car - just that simple.
    And, actually, I need to add I'm also 38 and will likely buy the car with cash. Given my career, 4-years down the road, I will easily be able to afford the Lexus-IS you describe as your Ultimate Dream Corolla in a post above, assuming I don't have my [non-permissible content removed] sued into oblivion before such time.

The reality is, though, I'd never buy the Lexus: cars both wear and depreciate. If anything, I'd get the most loaded Camry Hybrid and pump the rest of the cash into, say, a great vacation or mind-numbing home improvements.

And, as I stated, I hope you get what you want.

Seriously.

And should the stock Corolla fail your expectations?

Toyota Racing Design (TRD) and SEMA will take care of you.

Again, seriously.
    Please dont be disapointed, just understand the competition, corolla needs to be reinvented from insight to keep ahead in the road and incoming financial targets for another 5 years. I'm agre with you, corolla is a economic car, I have the corolla LE with 126 HP, and runs grate, plus the cruise control you will have a nice Fuel efficience, I Hope the design 2008 Team from corolla will create a balance between fuel economy, power,and good taste.
    I hope you finish your surgery practice and pray to God, you can save many life in you hands. :D
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    So.....

....anybody know anything about the '08 Corolla?
    Here you go, Earth: from up the thread.

"Hello Japanese Design Engineers!!!

I would like a new 2008 corolla with this specifications:
    Corolla LE 2.4VVTL with 180-200 HP with Hybrid Tecnology, header Tiptronic Transmision with 5 speed. Tires 17 inches with 215-55-17 tires. Nice Suspension, Front and rear Stability bar Trusty Brakes, 4 disc brakes, ABS, EBD.
    One Centered emission mufler 2 inches Diameter, square.
    Agressive exterior, sunroof. A new interior with digital gauge more nice than civic 2006 Bose Digital Sound with CD, Casette, and Mp3 input, much better with satellite radio sirius.

think about the lexus IS350 2006, and get every new tecnology design into my new corolla 2008."

If that is not "childish" as for expcations of a Corolla, I dunno what is.

A Corolla is an ECONOMY car, just like the Civic. Even the Civic SI is an ECONOMY car, just one with a sterioidal attutide (and, further, one that does not define the Honda line).

Childish is petulantly demanding something for nothing and expecting the outcome to be reasonable.

Adult is realizing that there is no something for nothing and being willing (and, moreso, able) to pay the bill.
    What I really want to know, and have been wanting to know, is news of a Corolla with HSD.

IS that going to happen via any news either confirmation or denial from Toyta Motor?

Everyone seems to have their laundry-list of wants for the 08 Corolla and everyone seems to have an opinion.

All I want is a simple answer - because, to date?

I have not found one attributed to Toyota Motor corp.
    "What I really want to know, and have been wanting to know, is news of a Corolla with HSD."

HSD? Hybrid Synergy Drive?

I don't think this would make sense for Toyota.

If Toyota was planning on HSD for the Corolla, why would they have developed a Prius? Why wouldn't they have applied the HSD technology to the Corolla in the first place?

I can understand adding HSD to the Camry or Highlander (or perhaps even to the Sienna). But what would be the point in having BOTH the Prius and a Hybrid Corolla in the same lineup?
    So the argument goes - yet Edmunds reporters themselves state the automotive rumor mill says otherwise.

I guess there is just one legit answer given I want either a "yes" or a "no." And that would be, "wait and see."
    Hey - if anyone finds a ToMoCo press release or press packet on the new Corolla, could you kindly post a link to it?

Speaking just for me - all I want about the pending new vehicle is some factual data (and that is, seriously, all I'm after).
    "So the argument goes - yet Edmunds reporters themselves state the automotive rumor mill says otherwise."

:confuse:

I must have missed that. Where would that be?

I still don't think it makes sense for Toyota to add HSD to the Corolla. Sizewise, the Prius and Corolla are fairly similar (with interior room slightly in the Prius's favor). Adding HSD to the Corolla would bump up the price to very close to Prius levels. I'm just not sold on the idea that there would be enough differentiation between the Prius and a Corolla HSD to result in a net increase in sales to Toyota.

Would a Corolla HSD sell? Sure. But would it's sales be at the expense of the Prius? For those looking to get very good economy in a small commuter car, a Corolla HSD makes lots of sense. For those wanting more room and performance but still pretty good economy, the Camry HSD is available. It seems like the middle ground between a Corolla HSD and Camry HSD would be fairly small.

If someone else offered something in that exact same range, I could see Toyota keeping a Prius alongside a Corolla HSD. But quite frankly, I think most sales of a Corolla HSD would be at the expense of the Prius.

I think you're going to have to settle for 'wait and see'.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla

Last line;

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/apr2006/gb20060403_308133.htm?chan- - - =autos_autos+index+page_news

Pay close attention to:

Toyota Winning the Hybrid Race

.... On Apr. 1, Japan's Nihon Keizai Shimbun (Nikkei), Japan's leading business newspaper, reported Toyota's latest plans for ramping up hybrid sales. Toyota plans to offer hybrids in all vehicles classes by 2012 from top-of-the-line luxury models to subcompacts such as the Vitz -- known as Yaris outside Japan -- in 2010 or later. If so, that could turn the whole hybrid category from a niche for the tree-hugging crowd into a mass-market auto category.

"GLOBAL STANDARD." The Nikkei says Toyota will roll out a new hybrid every time one of its cars undergoes a model change. That's pretty much what's happening with the new Camry, which will include a hybrid option, built in Kentucky, from the end of 2006.

Koji Endo, an analyst at CSFB in Tokyo, reckons that Toyota will offer a hybrid version of all models that sell more than 100,000 units. At present, that would mean hybrid versions of 15 of Toyota's 65 models.... "When it comes to hybrids, Toyota will become the global standard," Endo says.

Ergo my comments.

I can't conveniently find the Edmunds theorizing same, but I read that in the last week (unless I'm brainfarting and it was MSN Autos).

As for making sense . . . companies do a lot of things that do or don't make sense.

Given HSD is more evolved now AND the Corolla is light, it's possible, from a mathematical perspective, that the Corolla would actually get better milage than the Prius (without, of course, considering air drag).

Anyway . . . back to "wait and see." Just wanted to point out my question derives out of what's being reported from what are, typically, reliable sources.
    And just as I was about to give up, I re-stumbled across this article from IntelliChoice!

http://www.intellichoice.com/future/future/year/2008

2008 Toyota Corolla
    Expect Toyota to get edgier with its next-generation Corolla, hitting showrooms in late 2007--especially after Toyota execs demanded a last-minute redesign after seeing the daring Civic at the Geneva Motor Show. This change illustrates the automaker's resolve to shake its "conservative" image, at the penalty of about six months' production delay. The 2008 should bridge the generation gap between the Scion and Toyota lines and will have more interior volume than the current model. While the Scion roster consists of hatchbacks, the Corolla will continue here as a three-box sedan, with hatchback versions for overseas markets only. A hybrid-powered version may follow.
    "As for making sense . . . companies do a lot of things that do or don't make sense."

True.

I'm just trying to figure out WHY someone would buy a Prius rather than a Corolla HSD?

I guess it makes sense if the Corolla is available only as a sedan and the Prius is for those who want a hatchback. But wouldn't it be simpler to just offer a 5-door Corolla (in both HSD and non-HSD flavors) to go with a 4-door?

Oh wait, there's that 'makes sense' issue again. Nevermind.

If you are interested in HSD, why wait for an '08 Corolla HSD? Why not simply buy a Prius?
    If you are interested in HSD, why wait for an '08 Corolla HSD? Why not simply buy a Prius?

I actually LOVE the Prius - save for two things.

(1) price - loaded out, where in live in New York State, the Prius creeps up towards 30 G (US Dollars). In my own thrifty mind, that is WAY too much money (but, then, I also remember when the top-of-the-line Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham was 22 G with every possible option).

(2) dashboard - I just *DETEST* digital dashboards, and not just aesthetically: my Mom had a Lincoln with the digital dash in the 1980s. Among other complaints, washout in mid-day sun was an issue (one the Edmunds reviewer noted as an annoyance with the Long-Term test Prius over the summer).

Granted, the new Corolla could blow my hopes and jack the price AND offer a digital dash - which means I'm SOL.

I have considered purchasing an 06 or 07 Corolla - but I really need to be putting some $$$ other places right now, ergo my hopes and concerns about the 08.
  • amick780amick780 Member Posts: 1
    Toyota does plan on building a HSD in the corolla, the next gen corolla will be offered in a hybrid model, Toyota plans to stop producing the prius in the future. So look foward to seeing a corolla that nears the numbers of a prius, just so everyone knows the corolla is going to be built on the scion tc platform....so look for a bigger better corolla :D
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Interesting first post with a very definitive statement. Do you have special info on this. There is already a Gen3 Prius on the way so it will likely be around until 2014 or so.
    Will yo imagine 2008 corolla with a 300HP with TRD technology in competition with the new Mitsubishi Evolution X!!!! Oh maaaammam Mia!!!! Mahe a dream come true!
    Sonata this is a forum to dream and to share ideas. Our Ego only wants 3 things: Be in control, have the reason and looks well.
    Your opinion is valid but we are talking about future, and nobody is for sure.... Maybe I dont exist tomorrow, so enjoy the ride!!!! Maybe is your last!!! :)
    As long as they don't put that silly gimmick of a digital dash in, I suspect I will be quite happy!
    Sonata this is a forum to dream and to share ideas.

I guess I'm old and boring in that respect: I can dream all I want, but there is no way an $18,000 - $20,000 US Dollar car will come with the features you describe - and add my desire for a power package, leather seats, and an average fuel consumption clocking at least 40 miles per gallon.

Not to mention the dreaming that counts comes from a Toyota engineer - not me.

All I wanted to know was some factual info about the 08 Corolla - verifiable data to let me know if I will get the comfortable, slightly-stylish, practical economy car I want to buy.

I've encouraged you do seek what you want: bliss comes in many flavors.

Check out these folks. If Toyota does not make it for you?

These people most certainly can.

http://www.trdusa.com/

http://www.toyota.com/motorsports/trd.html

http://www.toyota-trd.com/

And ya won't even void the warranty.
  • gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    Did read somewhere that when they saw the new Civic at one of the Auto Shows... it was back to the drawing board... lets hope Toyota can produce something "futuristic" as the Civic...

Maybe it time to blend the Prius and Corolla with a new Corolla Hybrid... call it the "Priolla" or "Corollis"

... in a few years even Hyundai will have one.
    Actually, at the rate things are going?

In ten years, we will get a choice of the next-generation of Model T.

Hyundai pushed back their hybrid by one year - and given I drive a Sonata V-6 that eats fuel like a much larger car, I just don't want to revisit the Korean maker until they address the fact that all their designs are, compared to Toyota and Honda, thirsty.

YO! FAST!

If you really want Fast and Style, don't aim for a Corolla Econobox with your dream.

Dream big. Dream REALLY gosh-darn big. :shades:
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Then why not save several grand by skipping the prius and get the unadvertised toyota? The current 2006 Toyota Corolla LE? Speaking from a personal experience (and recent too), this car got my mom and i from Miami, Fl to Jacksonville, Fl on a tank and a half of gas. It looks exactly like this:

Not bad since the since our corolla was corollin' (we were going) about 70-90(mostly 85)mph with the radio blastin'(volume level 40), ac blowin'(level 2&3) and loaded with luggage. The little car wont even take $30 worth of gas from E unless you make it take it.

If toyota makes a new corolla or corolla hybrid, I hope they can improve upon this. Our car has the in dash 6disk cd changer, stabillity control daytime running lights, and power door locks & windows +keyless entry.

Whomever asked for a corolla hatch is crazy for waiting. Its been out in two forms and offer awd in both. They're the pontiac vibe and Toyota Matrix. Both use the corolla 1.8 and wheel base.

If... no i mean WHEN toyota improves upon this, I'll personally commend them for "moving forward" :) !

ps, the half tank took us from jacksonville to gwinnett county atlanta, georgia. Then we added $28 for a full tank and got back to jacksonville with 3quarters worth of gas. No we have t make a long 6hr drive back to miami.
    Cuz I spent 12 grand on a new roof this year!

No car this year - and undecided on next: I just have this thing about paying interest on an asset that depreciates, so I buy cars with saved cash.

So, while your idea has merit, I can't write the dealer a check: the 2000 Sonata stays for now.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    will be one of the first models tested by EPA under their new system, which is supposed to result in a 15-20% decrease in rating for most cars tested. So look for the numbers for the next Corolla to drop BIG-TIME. The real question is, will actual mileage drop? If they use a modified version of the Avensis platform as someone suggested above, it will make the car more rigid, and heavier too, probably to the tune of 200-300 pounds. That's a lot of weight for a little car to gain. Look at what it did to the new Civic. :-(

Honda didn't manage to raise the combined fuel economy of the new Civic at all from the old model. But I would imagine the new-found weight does make the car feel much more substantial, and it would do the same for the Corolla.

Toyota can offer all the sport and luxury items on the new Corolla that it wants, but I think buyers for these goodies will be a small minority of Corolla buyers - people know what they are buying a Corolla for, and it is not those things. It is cheap-to-buy, cheap-to-operate, rock-solid-reliable commute transportation. With good build quality and a few nice touches so it doesn't have the feel of an econo-mobile.

And heck, using that formula, Toyota created a very good '03, and four years later sales are actually UP year over year! Geez, maybe Toyota shouldn't bother updating the model at all!

(not serious about that last - they should get us a new model at the normal time, not wait!) :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Toyota can offer all the sport and luxury items on the new Corolla that it wants, but I think buyers for these goodies will be a small minority of Corolla buyers - people know what they are buying a Corolla for, and it is not those things. It is cheap-to-buy, cheap-to-operate, rock-solid-reliable commute transportation.

Bingo, Nippon!

The only reason anyone can even GET an Corolla S with leather is the fact that the Toyota interior supplier, Bartlett Corp, has been authorized to sell the interior kits thru "authorized dealers," although I understand the actual installation is done by a subcontractor.

That said, given Bartlett supplies the original OEM leather panels, that "authorized dealer" installation means it is as-if the car came with the equipment via factory (check out Bartlett's website for more details - they have the info up for consumers).

My ideal vehicle is that Corolla S with the leather option.

The only reason for that?

The BMW 318 sedan and the VW 1.8 Jetta with the Corolla-like gas milage and the few creature comforts I want?

No longer made - both manufacturers took the models up-market, up the price scale, and down the toilet with both economy and (apparently) reliability.