Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Interesting. In Japan, the Corolla's FMC release is "understood" to be in October 2006, meaning that although Toyota has made no official pronouncement, the Japanese press has widely reported that to be the timing. Actually, the release was supposed to be this month, but it was then reported in Japan that Toyota had decided to push it out to October.

I now wonder whether there will be a North American Corolla design different from the Japanese market's, which will be released much later. That would be unusual for Toyota, however, and exceptionally so for the Corolla. Or could it be that Toyota has decided to massively rethink the Corolla's design at this juncture? But there is currently absolutely nothing in the Japanese industry press reporting a delay like that.

Just an added tidbit: There is a well-known blog site run by an alleged Toyota salesman in Japan (in Japanese only). He has a page dedicated to the topic of Toyota's future models, and this page shows model-by-model links to get more info. Very curiously, the Corolla's link is missing right now. Has there been a gag order of some kind?

I will be in Japan in four days, so I will talk to some insiders when I get there to see what kind of information I may be able to get.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Over on Toyotanation there have been long discussion about this. One or two posters actually work in Cambridge, Ont. They have been posting for a while that it will be 18 months still until the new model is here, i.e. early 2008 as a 2009 model.

It was originally due out in early 2007 as a 2008 MY renewal. I think that the Tundra/Sequoia took precedence but that only my opinion.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    It was originally due out in early 2007 as a 2008 MY renewal. I think that the Tundra/Sequoia took precedence but that only my opinion.

I lean more towards Toyota getting concerned that their new redesign of the Corolla wasn't better than the new Civic or soon to be released Elantra (this was actually stated in an auto mag recently by a Toyota spokesperson, specifically referring to the Civic's sales). Considering that they had no problem releasing an all new Rav4, brand new FJ Cruiser and all new Camry within about 6 months of one another, why would they worry about taking away attention from the new Tundra? It's not like anyone is really cross-shopping a Tundra against a Corolla anyway.
    I have just read on a Japanese car bulletin board that one of the posters went over to a Toyota dealer on August 16 and was reportedly told that Toyota was no longer accepting orders to build for the current Corolla. Unfortunately, this poster did not verify it by visiting another Toyota dealer.

Be that as it may, if we take the above info as a fact, then at least in Japan Toyota appears to be trying to wrap up the current Corolla production, and in the meantime, to help dealers get rid of their inventories. All that seems to mean that the release of the 10th generation Corolla is in the near future (in Japan, that is).
    I'm in Japan right now. The totally redesigned Corolla will definitely be released here in October 2006. The press in Japan has all the details out. There does not appear to be any question any more about the release timing as far as the JDM Corolla is concerned. It will be in October of this year.

I have seen the photos of both the exterior and interior of the new Corolla. Being totally in line with the tradition of this model, there is nothing revolutionary or eye-catching. Someone who knows little about cars might not even notice the new Corolla even if it showed up right in front. No, Toyota clearly has no intention of taking the Corolla along the direction that Honda has taken the Civic with its design. But the build quality is expected to be extremely high, again in line with the model tradition.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that the North American Corolla may look very different from the new JDM model. In the U.S., I am sure they will try to make it mimic the "family look" exemplified by the Camry and Yaris.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

what I wouldn't mind seeing? A little pick-up version of the Corolla. Sort of a Matrix-length vehicle, but with an open bed where the cargo area usually is, either behind the front seats (giving it a 2-door cab and longer bed) or behind the rears (making it a mini-crew cab, with a small bed).

The Tacoma is HUUUUGE now, and Toy should really have a proper compact trucklet.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "A little pick-up version of the Corolla."

You know nippononly, usually you make a lot of sense. Other times, you don't.

This would be one of those OTHER times.... :P
    >> that the North American Corolla may look very different >> from the new JDM model. In the U.S., I am sure they
    >> will try to make it mimic the "family look" exemplified >> by the Camry and Yaris.

This is possible, although I strongly doubt that the new NA Corolla would look radically different from the JDM. Toyota has maintained throughout the history of at least the Corolla sedan the tradition of having one-body for the global market. This has been the formula that the company has used that has made the Corolla the best-selling passenger car in the world. Therefore, Toyota always puts an incredible amount of time and efforts into the one Corolla design that is intended to be acceptable everywhere. The company's focus is not so much that people fall in love with the Corolla's style - the true focus is for the design not to be hated by anyone. Yes, it is more important for Toyota that its Corolla is not loathed by anyone than it is to be loved by some but not by others. Thus, the Corolla design is conservative, and I expect this tradition to continue in all of its markets.

Here is the JDM design for the all-new Corolla:

http://corolla2006.jugem.jp/?eid=2#sequel

That having been said, Toyota is also expecting to release a hatchback model based on the new Corolla. The Corolla liftback has been known as the Corolla Runx/Alex in Japan, and the report is that this will now carry its own badge (Toyota Auris). It will have a wider body than the "regulation Corolla," and it looks to me a lot like the Versa (Tiida). I'm not sure whether this body will be released in North America, but here are some images to see:

http://auris.jugem.jp/
  • 96corolla96corolla Member Posts: 94
    Thanks for all the great info and pics. I would love to see a true wagon/hatch version of the new corolla. I'm not sure that we have our answer yet though. When will it be out? I guess it is all speculation at this point. Would love to see it in early 07, but if have to wait longer, may have to go with Civic. God, I'd hate to by a Honda!!!
    Ick! That looks exactly like a larger version of the new Kia Rio sedan. Double ick. I sure hope they don't go with that. As for "tradition", Corolla in most of the rest of the world has been a line consisting of microvans and creative hatchbacks, not the extremely boring 3-box sedan we get in the U.S. I just don't know how much you can extrapolate from the JDM model. Remember, Toyota stated it went back to the styling drawing boards after it saw the new Civic - surely the pics above can't be the result. What blinding blandness was planned before, in that case?

Rorr: even I don't remember what I was thinking when I wrote that! It's been a looooong day. :-)

I would like a new true compact truck from Toyota, but I would like it to be a real truck, not a unibody Frankenstein based on the Corolla.

The JDM Corolla line does have a station wagon called the Corolla Fielder. It is possible that the Fielder design or a derivative thereof will replace the Matrix in the North American market. The photo of the Fielder has been posted here, but here it is again:

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r27670177

There is currently another line of the Corolla, which is a microvan, called the Spacio. The rumor in Japan is that Toyota will drop it for the JDM. However, the European market should see its market-specific model called the Corolla Verso revised. I doubt strongly its arrival in the U.S., however.
    >>I just don't know how much you can extrapolate from the >>JDM model.

As far as the Corolla's four-door sedan design is concerned, if Toyota decides to radically depart from the JDM design when it comes to the release in the U.S., that will be the first such departure in ten generations of the Corolla. Staying close to the JDM design has always worked commercially for Toyota when it comes to the Corolla in the U.S. market, so it would be a radical step.

Toyota will produce the Corolla-derived hatchbacks, station wagons, and microvans (in Europe only) as they do now for Japan and in Europe. Will they show up in North America? That remains to be seen. As I mentioned in another post, the new station wagon body may be used to replace the Matrix.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "I would like a new true compact truck from Toyota, but I would like it to be a real truck, not a unibody Frankenstein based on the Corolla."

*whew!*

nippononly is making sense again.......

For some reason, when you were talking about a small pickup-let based on the Corolla, I was picturing a smaller, two-door version of the Subie Baja.

...and that vision just wasn't working in my head... :sick:
  • 96corolla96corolla Member Posts: 94
    So what will happen to the matrix? Clearly it is a popular model. I've read on here it may get moved to a scion version?

Still though, we seem to be unable to answer the biggest question which is release date. Toyota is phenomenal about keeping us in the dark!

Guess for now, I'll just keep driving my old faithful 96 dx.
    >>So what will happen to the matrix? Clearly it is a >>popular model. I've read on here it may get moved to a >>scion version?

I am not sure what will happen to the Matrix. Being that the Matrix is a joint project of Toyota and GM, it may survive in the Pontiac Vibe form even if Toyota decides to drop the Matrix or to revamp it. Commercially, my opinion is that it would be prudent for Toyota not to move the Matrix to the Scion network in order to keep the Matrix in the mainstream. But then, who knows?

I have seen a photo of the future Scion xA here. It will be about two inches wider than the current model. Sorry that I don't have a photo link.
  • fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    Never in the 9th upgrades corolla's design existed a corolla truck.
    I have seen. sedans, coupes, hatch back a station wagons.
    Bute never a truck.

I prefer a corolla coupe RSX with a 200HP to be in competition with the new civic. Dont you remenber the corolla GTS 1986-1988 hatch back.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    From the reports of the Matrix going to Scion I would think that Toyota would bring the WISH which is a Sport Wagon which sits 6, 2+2+2. This would compete against the Mazda 5 and the Honda Stream/Latitude whichwill probably also be offered here.
    >>From the reports of the Matrix going to Scion I would >>think that Toyota would bring the WISH which is a Sport >>Wagon which sits 6, 2+2+2.

That would be an interesting possibility indeed. The WISH is a huge seller in Japan. As of right now, I don't believe that Honda has the capacity to produce any more Stream than they are producing for the JDM, but this can change in time. Being that the WISH and Stream directly compete (WISH was introduced as the Stream killer, a plan that did succeed overwhelmingly for Toyota), if one is introduced in the U.S., the other may decide to respond in kind.

The U.S. users may find the WISH (and the Stream) somewhat underpowered and tight inside. If so, Toyota may consider bringing its JDM Ipsum line. But then, this could cannibalize the Sienna.
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    modern version of the VW Rabbit pickup?

They were a pretty popular vehicle in their day and had great fuel economy.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    I would think Toyota would put their 2.4 in the WISH if (I hope) it comes to the N.A. market. I believe that is what Mazda did when they introduced the 5 here. In Japan under the name Premacy, and has a 2.0 and 2.3 engine. The WISH is really nice, especially the 2.0Z, but probably up for a redesign. The Steram is all new. I would think both Toyota and Honda will have something to offer here which is SMALLER and more fuel efficient then the Sienna and Ody.
    I have just returned from Japan. Well-informed sources in the Japanese automobile press are now saying that, for the next-generation Corolla four-door sedans, Toyota will introduce at least two separate bodies, one exclusively for the JDM and at least one another for the non-JDM. This is a totally new approach for the Corolla's standard four door sedans.

For the JDM body, it will have Japan's usual "5-number" size dimensions. And for the rest of the world, the Corolla four door will be in Japan's "3-number" sizing, meaning that the width will be at least 1,700 mm, among others.

As to what this non-JDM body looks like, I could not find anyone to provide this information. Would it look radically different from the JDM designs that we have seen thus far? That will be an interesting thing to watch for.
    all XRS models are discontinued as of right now - there will be no '07 XRS's, neither Corolla nor Matrix. (nor Vibe GT). That engine just got too smoggy for the ever-advancing smog standards.

So who is taking odds as to the return of a sport model with the next generation? Will it happen? I like the rumors I have seen of a sport 2-door model, like the old GTS from the late 80s/early 90s. I sure hope they do SOMETHING like that.

On one of the other sites a Canadian member has just seen what will likely be the new '09 model ( Q1 of '08 ). He says it looks much more like the current Camry than the JDM Corolla ( confirming jacksan's post above ). It was an actual vehicle as opposed to a clay model or video or picture...specs to follow - subject to change.

Ditto the Matrix for the same launch.

Both with a 2.4L XRS trim w/CVT!!! DING!!!!
    If the actual car is available for someone in Canada to view, I find it hard to believe that they'd wait until 1st quarter of '08 to start rolling them out.....sounds a little fishy.

I will continue my policy of believing nothing I hear or see regarding the next generation of Corolla until I read it and see it on toyota.com. Everyone wants to be the one that breaks the big news and posts the first pics, but I still believe they went back to the drawing board and have nothing even close to being finalized.
    I'll bet a month's silence on these forums that the next Gen comes out in early '08 and looks something like a cross between the Camry and Yaris. I actually heard this about 10 mo's ago when the Corolla 'went back to the drawing board'.

On the other sites are several members of the staff at Cambridge and Fremont, one a manager, as well as staff or workers at the new Tundra plant.

Who's making the diesel powertrain for the new diesel Tundra?
    CVT? Blecch! There better be a 6-speed manual option. C'mon, Toyota, don't screw this up! Sport models need to have a manual option. And I sure hope they keep a manual available for the regular models too. Since there is still a manual option for Camry (in principle, if not in reality), I am confident they will keep a manual available for the regular models.

As for the looks debate, my $0.50 is on it looking exactly like a cross between the Yaris and Camry. Isn't that typical Toyota? Thing is, Honda went out on a limb with the new Civic, and it looks like it paid off big. But Toyota is all about safe, conservative designs and aiming for the midmarket.

>>Toyota is all about safe, conservative designs and aiming >>for the midmarket.

This is absolutely correct for this model. Toyota will NOT go for a radical look for the Corolla, despite what the Civic or others are doing. Toyota is completely capable of going for eye-catching designs, and we have seen some in the past, and there will be a few in the near future. But the Corolla, in some ways, would not be the Corolla if it were not for the boring design, so to speak. The thing about the boring Corolla is that it sells all the same in the world market. Thus, Toyota need not take a chance. Companies like Honda and Nissan have to strike something different to be competitive.

While not necessarily representative of the world, in Japan Toyota typically sells five or more times as many Corollas as Honda sells the Civic in any given month. This is despite the boring design of the Corolla. Toyota's ability to get away with such a sleep-inducing design is nothing out of amazing, but the fact is that they do get away, and they get away with a lot of cash. So there is no reason for them to change the pattern. The non-JDM Corolla may look different from the JDM, but not that different, I predict. A cross between the Yaris and Camry sounds pretty good to me as well.
    >>CVT? Blecch!

Toyota's CVT is pretty good, actually. I don't know how likely this is for North America, but it would be interesting if Toyota decided to bring to this market its CVT with a 7-speed sequential mode that is available in some markets.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    CVT?

Three pedals or no deal.
    If you analize the design strategy from Japanese market Engineers, you will see a Yaris 2006 like a corolla 2003-2007 body box, and for me, the new corolla 2008 will be a cross design between the Camry 2006 and the lexus IS 350, 2006, a litle more agressive exterior design, maybe 2.4 VVTI engine with 150-160 HP, and 5 speed automatic transmission,a new interior design, and maybe an Hybrid Option. Maybe Xenon Ligths. But still Keep looking more conservative than the competition. This is my vision to 2008 corolla design.
    DO bring a 2.4L sport model, it had better have AT LEAST 170 hp. Both from the POV of competing in the market (where many other carmakers' sport compact models have 170 hp or well over in most cases) and also because the existing engine in the Camry makes almost 160 hp - I would expect to see that boosted a little for an all-new model.

Seems odd to me that they would go "back to the drawing board" and come out of those meetings with a design that is a cross between the Yaris and Camry. Wouldn't it make more logical sense for THAT to have been the original design idea all along anyway? Makes me wonder what the original design was, if that is truly the case.
    The thought of putting a 2.4L engine in the Corolla is not that far-fetched. The rumor mill in Japan says that the Blade, to be released in Japan in January 2007 and which is a twin of the Auris, a wide-body hatchback based on the next-gen Corolla slated to be released next month (JDM), will have a 2.4L option. The Blade/Auris is really the Corolla liftback, designed to compete with the likes of the Mazda3. The Auris will first be introduced JDM with 1.5 and 1.8. But if the rumor in Japan is correct, Toyota is thinking about a bigger engine for at least one of the future Corolla derivatives.
    Hello Partners I will be in my vacation in Zurich, for 3 weeks and one week 14-23 oct 2006 in New York, please tell about any Motor Show near these dates and the location, please so maybe I will find somo corolla prototype with any luck.
    Regards :) I heard about the Jacob Javit Center in NY???
    Again the 'back to the drawing board' was the interpretation of some analysts when the Civic came out. All along Toyota has said otherwise.

Yes I think that the original vehicle always has been a 'baby Camry'. It always has been that way.
    I just don't get the whole bigger is better mentality in a Corolla. We are just coming off $3.00 gasoline. How about a smaller engine in the Corolla. A 1.6 should do just fine.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Well, take a look at the values of most people in our country. Most people "must" have huge houses, cars (or SUVs and trucks), TVs, etc., and they must have large engines in those cars! Our society is VERY materialistic!!
    You can be materialistic and efficient at the same time. In Europe you can get a BMW with a 1.6 liter engine.

You are right though - we buy cars on image not what they do. Even today most adds state the HP even before the name of the vehicle. "intoducing the new 300 hp model x"

Still makes me ashamed. We are pawns of media.
    >>I just don't get the whole bigger is better mentality in a Corolla. We are just coming off $3.00 gasoline. How about a smaller engine in the Corolla. A 1.6 should do just fine.

If not 1.6, I feel that the current 1.8 is just fine for the Corolla. Because it is a boring engine in a boring car, no one pays much attention to it, but that ZZ-FE 1.8L engine is a masterpiece. It has a good usable torque band that stretches very nicely, revs freely with its low friction characteristics, and as a result, gets an excellent mileage as well. For a car of the Corolla's size, you really don't need anything bigger. In Japan, in fact, 1.5 is the standard issue engine for the Corolla. That'd be underpowered in the NA market, but 1.8 is plenty, in my opinion.
    I've gotten my '97 corolla with the 1.6 liter engine (and somewhere between 90 and 95 ponies) up to approx. 120 mph before.....so, to me, underpowered isn't a word I would use to describe it.

For me, anything more than 1.8L with 130 or so horses is just overkill in this class (and I'm only going that high because the current generation is about 300 lbs heavier than my '97).
    Yes, but what if the next-gen is 500 pounds more than your '97 (as it is very likely to be)?

If it gains 10% in weight, should it gain 10% in power to match? Or should the next car be slower to increase fuel economy. This question is rhetorical, BTW, there is certainly no "right answer". I wish for a little slower and a LOT easier on gas for the base model (and whatever for the sport model - I mean, sport models need more power, that's their purpose), but alas, it is unlikely Toyota will do that. The best we can hope for is just as speedy as the current model and a big bump in fuel economy, and what is most likely is speedier and just a small bump in fuel economy. :-(

Maybe they should start offering three trims - regular, economy, and sport. The economy could have the 1.5 instead of the 1.8. 50 mpg would be worth being the slowest up the freeway ramp! :-)

Yes, but what if the next-gen is 500 pounds more than your '97 (as it is very likely to be)?

read my post again. I allowed for over a thirty percent increase in power over my '97 (with a 10-20 percent increase in weight, as you anticipate as well) and said anything over THAT would be overkill. So, even if it does get heavier, the added power that a 130 hp engine would give would still give it a much better power to weight ratio than I have in my '97....which is more than adequate for pretty much all uses of a car in this class.

Sad part is, with current technology, a 1.5 liter engine in a Corolla, even if it does increase in size, would still give it the capability to go faster than my '97 (which is certainly fast enough to break speeding laws with the best of them).....so no need to worry about being the slowest up any on-ramps. We've gotten waaaaay too spoiled with cars with more horsepower than we could ever use.
    Toyotas's own 1.5 is currently rated at 106 hp in the new Yaris. Say they manage to boost that to 115 while increasing mpg at the same time, you could be looking at a Corolla that makes a solid 40-45 round-town mpg while still not being embarassed on the road, although without making gearing a lot shorter than it is now, it would be one of the slowest cars in its class. That power to weight ratio is only a bit better than the last-gen Jetta, which was a bit of a dog (AND got lowish gas mileage - go figure!),and that VW 2.0 was torquier than the Toyota 1.5 is.

I used to have a first gen Odyssey minivan. 3,500 lbs and a lot of air to push with only 140 hp. It did fine cruising at 80 mph with a full load and A/C running. Even took it over the rockies - yes it had to downshift, but it maintained the speed limit.

The current Corolla is a rocket compared to that car, and that car was more than adequate.

Slow is a 52 hp VW bus, not a 100+ hp small car.

A 4-cyl Accord with a stick is faster than some model years of the Corvette, yet some people think it is a dog and requires the V-6. I still remember the cover of one of the car mags from a while back describing the 6.9 liter MB as the fastest Sedan on the planet at 140 mph and 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. They went on and on about the rush of power. Now a stock Passat with the 4-cyl engine can match those numbers. Why does everything need to be so fast now?

I just don't get it. How did the marketing types brainwash so many of us?

My guess is the dirty little secret that the cars with the best efficiency are the cheapest (and lowest profit). Manual tranny is cheaper, fewer options means less weight and better mpg, smaller base engines are more efficient. Car companies want to upsell and make more profit, that is whey they are developing platforms like the Prius to showcase economy - at a price.

I don't think the new Corolla will be much more efficient if any because they want the prius to stand out as the leader.
    >>My guess is the dirty little secret that the cars with the best efficiency are the cheapest (and lowest profit). Manual tranny is cheaper, fewer options means less weight and better mpg, smaller base engines are more efficient. Car companies want to upsell and make more profit, that is whey they are developing platforms like the Prius to showcase economy - at a price.

I tend to agree with you in most aspects in this thread, but have to disagree when you say that the cars with the best efficiency are the cheapest. The stripped down cars with less weight theoretically get a better mileage not because they are efficient but simply because that's the law of physics: less weight, less energy to propel them. To me, an efficient car is one that is equipped the same or similarly to and weighs as much as another vehicle and yet burns less fuel. That kind of technology is hugely expensive to develop. Considering that, the Prius is an absolute bargain basement case at $22k or so.

Make no mistake - I do not care for the horsepower craze, often hyped by those car magazines which seem to believe that the best cars are the ones that end up helping the OPEC most. But since the reality is that the car buying public in most developed contries today could not be convinced to all switch to the Geo Metro or Smart For Two that simply go by the law of physics, we need car makers to work on the efficiency. In this aspect, Toyota is the clear leader right now.

Oh, by the way, if between the two, Toyota would so much rather sell more Corollas than the Prius. The Corolla is a money maker, a profit-generating machine for Toyota. The Prius, on the other hand, makes pratically no money, if not generating losses (they were in the first generation), for Toyota.
    Prius is on a collision course with a real problem - the revised EPA fuel economy test for hybrids. When its rating is reduced to 45/40, the fuel economy ceiling at Toyota will be low for all the other models to get under. I think they will switch to promoting gee-whiz new technologies in the Prius, as opposed to just pushing its fuel efficiency all the time. Which will allow models like Corolla, which is a much more basic car than Prius, to really excel in fuel economy, if they can manage it.

But if Toyota of the last 30 years is anything to judge by, increasing fuel economy will not be their top priority. The Corolla has stood pat in power for the last what, nine years? I am all for that if the fuel economy jumps way up, as it did in 1998 and 2003, but I think the next round will be like the last Camry update - more power with just a slight boost in fuel economy. Pity.

Oh, by the way, if between the two, Toyota would so much rather sell more Corollas than the Prius. The Corolla is a money maker, a profit-generating machine for Toyota. The Prius, on the other hand, makes pratically no money, if not generating losses (they were in the first generation), for Toyota.

This is why I too agree that the changes will be incremental rather than significant. With the Corolla's current volume at about 400,000 units annually and two very efficient plants if Toyota only makes 5-10% on the wholesale prices the bottom line is still $400 Million in profits - every year.
    It probable that the new ratings next year will show significant differences in the window stickers.

Estimates ( new EPA's vs current )
    Gen 2 Prius - 47 mpg combined vs 55 mpg combined
    Gen 3 Prius - 57 mpg combined ( ???? )
    Corolla - 31 mpg combined vs 35 mpg combined
    Camry 4c - 25 mpg combined vs 28 mpg combined
    Camry hybrid - 36 mpg combined vs 39 mpg combined
    ( My feeling from driving the new TCH and comparing it to the sticker is that Toyota has already implemented the new EPA criteria on this new vehicle so it will have only a small effect on the TCH. Protecting the Camry's image is key. )

One's personal driving characteristics of course may make all of this subject to conditions. On my personal daily drive in moderate weather I can get
    32 mpg all day long in any 4c Camry
    40 mpg all day long in any Corolla
    51 mpg all day long in any Prius

My personal drive will allow me to exceed the likely EPA estimates by 10%. This will become commonplace now as many many drivers will be able to state that they exceed the new EPA sticker numbers.
    The prius may not be making much money now, but Toyota plans for far in the future. They are setting up fuel economy as premium feature. Eventually the Prius will make plenty of money (along with other hybrids). It certainly makes money for the dealers.

To sort of stay on track my biggest hope for the new Corolla is a true stationwagon version. Unfortunately this will not happen for similar reasons. SUV's cost more and make more profit. If you want the space you need to buy an SUV. A corolla wagon might take sales away from higher profit SUV's.

I don't buy the excuse that wagons have not sold well in the past - they have never marketed them. When they sold the Corolla wagon, there was barely a picture of the wagon in the brochure, much less any mention in print or TV ads. Look at Subaru, the Legacy/Outback wagon outsells the sedan 10 to 1 because it is marketed that way.

BTW by efficiency I was not specifically refering to the engine, but to the fuel mileage, where the least expensive model of most cars gets the best mileage.