Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Does anyone have any idea when we will see pictures of the NA 08 corolla.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    No no, I said six-speed MANUAL. There won't be a 6-speed auto in any Corolla for at least a decade.

If they make 4-speed AND 5-speed autos available in Corolla, it will just further cement the idea in my head that Toyota has begun to nickel and dime its customers WAY beyond the point of acceptability. I mean, it's already bad enough now.

And OH GEEZ! I didn't mean NOTHING AT ALL changed inside the Yaris when it got revised this year. I just meant nothing of any note or importance changed. The "different door panels" are still just cheap tacky Rubbermaid plastic, as is the "different steering wheel", the sun visors aren't enough nicer that you'd notice, if you even give them a glance during the test drive, and OK, now instead of gray the interiors of all the new Yarii are black. And oh yeah, they made a styling change WRT to the locations of the HVAC controls.

Compared to this effort, which did improve the Yaris in many ways but not a huge ton inside, I expect the Corolla update to be much more comprehensive, and compete much more with other cars in its class. The compact class is a WHOLE LOT more competitive than the "little car" class.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I just meant nothing of any note or importance changed.

In other words, the only thing in the Yaris' interior you consider important is the location of the gauges? (since everything else has changed in the interior from the ECHO to the Yaris) Okee doke.

The Yaris was designed to sell starting at $11k. The new Corolla will probably start at around $14k-15k. So there's a lot more money available to apply to interior refinement on the Corolla than on the Yaris. Even then, I hope Toyota does a better job on the next Corolla's interior than on the current model. Other than the faux wood trim in the LE, I don't find anything about the Corolla's interior that stands out. The HVAC controls in particular scream "cheap" every time you turn them and get the plasticky feel and noises, vs. the silky smooth knobs or electronic controls found on some competitors. And I sure hope Toyota fixes the driving position on the Corolla with the new model.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    On October 23, the Auris was released in Japan. From Toyota's announcement about this car, it now sounds unlikely that the Auris, in its original form at least, will be introduced in the North American market.

The reason I say is this. In the release, Toyota made an unequivocal statement that the Auris is intended to be a strategic model set for the Japanese and European markets. Toyota said nothing about the North American market in its announcement. They said "The Auris is intended for Japan and Europe." Of course, they did not say, "It is NOT intended for North America," but the implication seems rather obvious. In Europe, the Auris will be released in the spring of 2007, according to Toyota.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    It has been a while since the corolla has been offered in a coupe version but the next gen. corolla will be offered in a coupe! or at least that is what the rumor is. This would be awesome because the civic comes in a coupe version so why should the corolla be any different? After all, the Camry is offered in a coupe and so is the yaris(actually hatchback but you get my point). It only makes sense. Maybe if we are lucky the coupe will get a sporty engine, like the civic Si. :D all we can do is hope!
    Remember those halcyon Corolla days when there were (at various times) coupes, liftbacks (including the hot GT-S), 2-door sedans (2 kinds, regular and sport), 4-door sedans, and wagons? I think there was even an AWD wagon at one time. So it would be great to have a coupe, or maybe a sporty 2-door hatchback (which would compete with the tC, however).
    I sure 'nuf don't care about the location of the gauges in the Yaris nee Echo. As for the rest of the interior, no, little has changed. Everything you touch is still hard (this is true in the sedan; again, the liftback is much better), the shifter feels about the same, the seats are no better for lateral support or comfort in general, visibility outward from the driver's seat is actually worse. The HVAC controls are different, but I wouldn't say better (maybe more stylish), and hey! Here's something notable that changed - the cupholders are a new avant garde design that only allow the driver to be able to reach one now, instead of two when they were grouped together in the Echo. An improvement? :-P

The Corolla will have to have a telescoping steering wheel when it is redesigned. That and an optional 5-speed (NOT 4-speed) auto will keep it up with the Joneses. I am going to cross my fingers that a manual transmission is still standard, and that it has six speeds in future. But I won't hold my breath.

Toyota's announcement on the Auris COULD just be Toyota's usual cageiness at work. If it comes to the U.S., I am sure it won't be called the Auris, for instance. It may just be a Corolla hatch, or perhaps it will be the next-gen Matrix? I like that second idea. Either way, as others have mentioned, it is high time and BEYOND time for Toyota to bring back some of the interesting body styles of past Corollas, instead of just having the stodgy 4-door sedan. :-)

As for the plood, I find myself at odds with backy's opinion, an unusual turn of events. I think it's fairly ugly in the Corolla, and ages the car immensely. I would love it if they had enough left over from their $15 billion/year profits to slip a little bit of real aluminum trim into one or two of the upper trims of the next Corolla. Keep the others standard plastic interiors, and how about making it soft-touch plastic this time Toyota?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

The Corolla will have to have a telescoping steering wheel when it is redesigned.

The new JDM Corolla has the telescopic steering wheel as standard in all trim levels. Whether Toyota will keep it for the North American market remains to be seen.
    Well, just like you didn't say NOTHING has changed from the ECHO to the Yaris, I didn't say the plood was great-looking. But it does stand out in this class, and I think it's better than the cheap black plastic used in the lower-end Corollas and in some competitors. Now that the Elantra Limited has dropped the standard plood for '07, I think the Corolla LE may be the only car in the class with it.

Good luck getting more soft-touch plastic on the next Corolla. The trend from Toyota and other automakers is more hard plastic, to keep costs down. But if they have to cut, I'd rather it be there vs. powertrains and safety gear. I mean, how often do you actually press on the dash and door side panels--other than when buying the car to see if it's hard or soft plastic? As long as there are soft spots for my elbows and the hard plastic looks good, I can live with it.
    I have just watched a video showing parts of the release presentation of the Auris in Japan. Mr. Watanabe, the president and CEO of Toyota, said in his keynote speech that the 2007 sales target for the Auris is 200,000 units "in Japan and Europe combined." Mr. Watanabe also kept on emphasizing that the car was tested and tuned to match the European road. Not a word of "America," "U.S.," or for that matter, "Yankee Doodle." It's now clear to me. This particular model, Auris or whatever name it gets, will not come to the U.S.
    But that's just the problem with the current models - no soft spots to rest elbows!

Just one of the reasons I don't own a Corolla today. My car has comfy spots for both elbows. ;)
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I think the fact that people buy Corollas so quickly that there's no incentive for Toyota to improve them (eg standard curtain airbags, ABS, softer interior, etc). People that buy the Corolla are sacrificing a lot of features for the Corolla reputation.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Toyota often moves glacially when it's in mid-model. Somethings like standard S&C airbags just have to wait for the model changeover.

As a previous poster noted the market actually determines what a manufacturer offers. The market is roaring - 'Leave it alone! It's fine the way it is for the greatest number of us.'

There is a HUGE segment of the population that only wants 4 wheels and a Toyota/Honda name on the back. Nothing else. Power windows and locks are often a struggle to get buyers to accept. Keyless entry? Why?
    Is it that buyers don't want features like keyless entry and power windows/locks, or they don't want to pay the price of a Corolla with features like that? That is, if there were a Corolla with side bags/curtains, ABS, keyless entry, power package, and other goodies for around $13-14k, do you think lots of people would want a car like that?
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    would be surprised if they use the CVT in the U.S. Despite all the publicized advantages of a CVT over a traditional auto, they haven't been very popular here - just look at sales of the Nissan models that have had them, in comparison to other vehicles in each segment.

That's because up until now CVT's had this slipping clutch effect that some drivers dislike (I don't find it a problem on my 1998 Civic HX CVT coupe). If Toyota's CVT-i unit on the new Corolla sold in Japan can "adjust" its operation automatically to suit driver perferences like the JATCO CVT's used on the 2007-model Nissan Altima and Maxima, then I think we will see the CVT on the next-generation Corolla for the North American market.
    However, I think the Auris is in many ways a preview of the 2009 Corolla coming in January 2008 for the US market. Restyle the rear end of the Auris so it neatly integrates a full trunk and that coule be the 2009 North American-market Corolla sedan.
    Yes lots would go for a vehicle like that. Now it's the mid-trim Yaris at $15365 that has all of those items. But still a huge part of the population of buyers opt for the $14100 Yaris with none of the above. It's about 5/1 in favor of the more basic trim.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Do you think we will see pictures of the future corolla by summer 2007.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    It would make sense to have a corolla coupe as i said before, but toyota already has the yaris competing against the scions. So i do not think that the corolla coupe would have much impact on the sales of the tC. Toyota is definately going to have to put out an affordable sporty model, i would hardly classify the new supra as affordable, but it would definitely give honda some competition when it comes to the civic.
  • elemoncellielemoncelli Member Posts: 43
    Id like to the new Corolla have ABS and front, side, and curtain airbags as standard equipment. Even better if it had traction control too.
    Here is a consideration along those lines. The NHTSA and the IIHS are mandating/pushing for all new vehicles to have VSC ( and TC ) as standard equipment in the near future. If the new Gen Corolla didn't already have it I'd be fairly certain that it will have those in this next 'delayed' iteration.
    The all-new JDM Corolla is off to an excellent start in sales, Nikkei has just reported. Orders for 35,000 units have been received in the first month of sales. The monthly sales target for the JDM Corolla is 12,000 units.

The production of the Corolla sedan is being off-loaded to Central Automobile, a production subsidiary of Toyota, due to the Takaoka Plant that regularly builds the Corolla being overwhelmed with production demands.
  • sicwoosicwoo Member Posts: 2
    Well looking at the jdm features and price which is pretty much the same price as the present model corolla for us, what person in this segment wouldn't choose the corolla over any other vehicle. The corolla has nav, xenon, backup camera, self parking, pre-crash (tightens seat belts if detects possible crash similar to the Mercedes safety feature), and more. It offers more features than even the larger classes. Hopefully we get some (being realistic here) of the features.
    make a "Limited" trim for the Corolla line next time around, we may get some of those things in the U.S. Otherwise, I seriously doubt it. And that Limited would probably have to be in the range of $22K, without additional performance attributes over the rest of the line - that price is pushing it for a Corolla.

Look at the Mazda3 - the only way to get those "luxury" items in that model is to go for the "Grand Touring" model, which bundles many of them together, and is above the regular Touring models. And is quite pricey.

The only one of those you can get in the new Civic is NAV, and then only on the higher trims. And the brand new Sentra - the best you can do in that car with the very priciest package is leather seats, Bluetooth, and keyless start. No nav, xenons, rear cameras, or anything else.

My bet is Toyota won't step too far outside the established mold with the new Corolla - they are all about the relentless quest for maximizing sales volume.

posted pics of the new Corolla just intro'd in China. I'm nearly certain that this is what we will see as well.

It's a Camry Corolla.
    Here is the link:

Corolla Release in China
    It's EXACTLY as if they took a Camry and miniaturized it! Not cutting edge, by any measure. Not bad looking either, but "aged" to my eyes. They have obviously taken a different, but predictable for Toyota, direction with the Corolla than Honda took with the Civic.

Agreed, I guess it goes along with the idea of not messing with what works..
    that precious youth market is going to leave Toyota even more...

I hope they offer one of the two new Scions with the powertrain from the new Corolla and less stodgy looks. But I don't suppose they will...

• fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    #492 of 591 Thats my point of view a new corolla 2008 by fastandstyle Sep 10, 2006 (6:48 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    If you analize the design strategy from Japanese market Engineers, you will see a Yaris 2006 like a corolla 2003-2007 body box, and for me, the new corolla 2008 will be a cross design between the Camry 2006 and the lexus IS 350, 2006, a litle more agressive exterior design, maybe 2.4 VVTI engine with 150-160 HP, and 5 speed automatic transmission,a new interior design, and maybe an Hybrid Option. Maybe Xenon Ligths. But still Keep looking more conservative than the competition. This is my vision to 2008 corolla design.

It looks like This is the way it is... 2007...2008 I hopr de XRS sedan comoes mre loaded...200 Hp
    The transmission tiptronic.... Lexus IS 350
    Rear styke..................... Camry
    Front style.................... Camry
    Dash board, Speedmeter Gauge.... Lexus IS350

Keep searching for more information :)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I thought new Corolla was going to debut with the new series of Toyota 4 cylinders? This seems to be a modified version of the existing 1.8L???

~alpha
    The Nikkei has just issued an article saying that Toyota will show its European-spec Corolla at the Helsinki Motor Show, to open on November 30. Here is a photo of the Euro Corolla:

European Corolla

By the way, this Corolla is basically the same one as that which was previously announced in Beijing.

One of the engines to be used is 2ZR-FE, which is a completely new 1.8 L engine.
    what about the power, Horse power, torque, pounds-feet, Fuel efficiency,
    There's some dat about the XRS, is thos model still alive? :)
    what about the power, Horse power, torque, pounds-feet, Fuel efficiency

The following specs for 2ZR-FE come from the JDM Corolla. This engine is expected to be used in all Corolla markets, as well as market-specific motors (e.g., diesel for Europe, 1.5 L gas for Japan).

2ZR-FE
    Displacement: 1,797 cc
    Horsepower: 100 KW (136 HP) (JIS)
    Torque: 175 Nm (129 lb-ft)/4400 rpm
    Fuel Efficiency: 17.2 km/l (40.4 MPG) (in Japanese 10-15 Mode, using Super CVT-i*)

*Super CVT-i = 7-speed mode CVT

I know nothing about the sport version of the Corolla at this time.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    Wow - I like the looks of this.

More stylish and elegant than the current US Version, but without the "weird" factor of the new Honda Civic and the new Nissan Altima.

I just hope Toyota does a similar update of the interior: I was just checking out the new Elantra today as an option for my 2000 Sonata. While the new Elantra is truly a very nice car . . . there is something about it that leaves me a bit cold: the new Elantra is just a bit TOO generic.

The Civic and Altima, with the oddball shifters blocking some of the dash controls as well as some of the strange design features, are starting to enter the "too weird" zone of design for me.

Well, not too much longer and we'll see for ourselves how this new Corolla fares!
    Oh - and the look strikes me a hell of a lot like "wee Camry."

That seems a consistent theme with Toyota for the last two body styles: the Corolla, side-by-side with a Camry, looks like Camry's official little brother.

Not that such consistent brand design is bad!
    I think the Nissan you mean is the Sentra. No worries, and I'm not ragging, just trying to avoid confusion. Also, you should be able to see a good glimpse of the Corolla's interior in via the link about a dozen to two dozen postings back.

~alpha
    Actually, Alpha, I do mean the Sentra: I was in that very 2007 vehicle in the dealer's lot and the "transmission stick thing" stuck out from an ovoid pod in direct line of the climate control panel.
    Mark if that info is correct I will eat the first one off the line. The body might be accurate but there is no V6 Corolla. Pulleeeze. From everything others who are at the plant's have posted in other forums there is no 2.0L either.

You seem just to be trying to make yourself important. But be realistic. V6 Corolla?
    that precious youth market is going to leave Toyota even more...

Nippon,

You forget that the average buyer in the youth market lacks something the "30-to-40-something" crowd has.

And to what do I refer? What do the kiddies lack?

Money. They have precious little of the stuff.

In fact, the kiddies who buy in the Toyota-Scion class generally get their money from folks in that "30-to-40-something" crowd because we, the folks with the money, are their blasted PARENTS.

The kids with the big money - the ones who go and buy their own cars - are buying Lexus convertibles and BMW roadsters, NOT Corollas or XAs.

There is, after all, a damn good reason some Scions start at 13 or 14 K whereas the "real cars" cost more.

Granted, I'm of the school where the first car is "used car" and the kid gets to slave at a min-wage job to pay for it, thus learning a vehicle like "Convertible Bently Coupe" is only served up for people like Paris Hilton . . . and even Paris Hilton has to show a bit of T&A to get that much lovin on wheels.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Even the body might not be accurate. I've seen some of those "artist renderings" before and it looks more like a Photoshopped Yaris.
    I don't believe any of that information, quite frankly. A 150 horse 2.0L is about the only piece thats plausible, though I think even if the engine is that powerful, Toyota would downrate it intentionally until the Camry adopts the new engine family or Dual VVTi... or ANYTHING... to bump output up above 158 from the 2.4L.

The styling of the 'uncovered' pic looks photoshopped, and WAAAAYYY TOOO Yaris. It would make much for sense for Toyota to make the next Corolla look like a shrunken, 7/8ths Camry than a Super size me Yaris.

And a V6 in the Corolla line? I dont think so. Maybe a new XLE version or something, but a V6? Toyota is so not radical enough to do that.

~alpha
    Toyota does have the 1AZ-FSE which is 2.0 L and puts out 155 horses (JIS). It's used in the JDM Premio/Allion, and matches very well with the CVT. I just cannot see Toyota using it in the Corolla, however. Then again, I have been wrong before. But V6? NFW.
  • ilijabmwilijabmw Member Posts: 15
    Here is more information and new photos including highres images of the interior

http://carphotosite.com/2006/12/02/wallpaper-2007-toyota-corolla-european-versio- - - n/

this is the eruopean spec

By the way, it's very likely that the upcoming US version of the 10th generation Corolla will offer the navigation system as an option. After all, Honda does offer the navigation system on the current Civic on the EX, Hybrid and Si models as an option.

Also, the reason why Toyota has likely delayed US introduction for a year is because they maybe working on either a five-speed automatic or adapting their CVT automatic to better suit American driving conditions.
  • ilijabmwilijabmw Member Posts: 15
    that's true. I hope the US version comes looking like that, with the push button start and everything.

I remember the RAV4 had the push button on the euro specs but did not when it came over to the north americas
    You won't see push-button start on the US version, though. But the new Corolla sedan with a new 2.0-liter I-4 rated at 145 bhp (SAE 08/04 net) with either a five-speed automatic or five-speed manual will be what we'll get, and the navigation system will likely be a US$1,000 option.

I believe the reason why North America will get the new Corolla last is because Toyota won't switch over to the new model at the plants building for Corolla for the North American market until probably early fall 2007.