Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Options
    cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    True or False: Will Toyota reveal the 2008 Toyota Corolla at the North American International Auto Show or at one of the other upcoming autoshows in 2007.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    People are saying the "new" Corolla has been delayed and now will be a 2009 model. So, the 2008 Corolla will be the same car as a 2006 or 2007 and there will be nothing to announce at the upcoming auto shows.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It does appear that from all reports that the Next Generation Corolla ( NGC ? ) will arrive in early 2008. whether it's a 2008 ( late ) or 2009 ( early ) is just a naming issue. Apparently the from all the pics from around the world, China and Europe, and the reports from those that have already seen it the sedan already exitst and could be release now on schedule.

But this is the Tundra's year, so everything else takes a backseat - even the loyal faithful footsoldier Corllla.
  • Options
    fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    IT t is XRS Model Alive in 2008?, Im hoping, corolla is moving to a more powerful engine, to be in competiton with civic Si 200 Hp and Volkswaguen GTI 200 Hp.

What do you think about a 2008 corolla model with same specifications that Mitsubishi EVO or Subaru WRX with 300 HP, Brembo brakes.... and some more special features.... Just Dreaming awake....Happy Holidays and Good Luck in this new year.... :)
  • Options
    This is dreaming because all the models you mention are tiny volume and do not make enough money.

The new hybrid 'son of supra' might be something you'd like.
  • Options
    Check wwww.autoblog.com

Los precios del Corolla Sedán parten de:

Acabado Terra, desde 63.100 zlotys (17.234 €/ 22.726 dólares)
    Acabado Luna, desde 66.300 zlotys (17.254 €/ 22.795 dólares)
    Acabado Sol, desde 76.100 zlotys (19.839 €/ 26.165 dólares)
    Acabado Prestige, desde 80.600 zlotys (21.000 €/ 27.712 dólares)
    :surprise: I think its too high, the US range is between 18K and 22K full loaded, but there is not diesel engine
  • Options
    ch3456ch3456 Member Posts: 4
    The answer is pretty simple. With Toyota, you have Avalon on the top, Camry in the middle, and Corolla on the bottom, so to speak. Toyota isn't going to offer more options on a Corolla, when some of them aren't even found on Camry's. They have to keep each car in its own "position."

For example, if Avalon gets rain-sensing windshield washers, Camry will not have them until later. When Camry gets that option, Corolla won't get it until later or at all.

Put point blank, Avalon has to be a better car overall than Camry, and Camry has to be a better car overall than Corolla; which is where pricing comes into play.

I like how Toyota does things in steps. Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    newmr2newmr2 Member Posts: 1
    More does not mean better.
    My wife drives a 2004 Corolla LE.
    I drive an 2006 Avalon XLS.
    On myy day off I drive her Corolla.
    Great cars, just different.
    Just like Cream and Chicago.
    Two great groups, but more musicians
    doesn't have to make it a better band.
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Whatever toyota does for the new corolla should come across as a refresh for the scion tC.

Both need the things you mentioned +

A 5 speed automanual and a 6 speed manual
    Starting at 15k(spec tC.

The corolla by itself needs:
    To continue trim designations. -S(E), CE, (X)LE, and le.
    A 2.0l i4

-Cj
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    For me less is more - I much prefer the Corolla to the Avalon. Just can't justify the added impact on the planet (and my wallet) just so my behind rides a little smoother.
  • Options
    sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    Dudley - I think your point is what some of us have been trying to make, but in a different form.

I like my creature comforts - very much. I'm spoiled and I know it.

I don't care if I can rocket around corners and pass muscle cars on the freeway, though. I just want enough to merge on the freeway safely.

I don't want a large car, either: I do not like large cars.

What I basically want is a Corolla with the 1.8 L engine and some of the better features of an Avalon because I, like you, and like a few others here, too, see the real tangible gains to a small, efficient car.

I like small and efficient very much.

Spartan, however, is not my thing, either.
  • Options
    mexcarmexcar Member Posts: 21
    I feel the same way; it would be nice to have a greater range of options on small, affordable, fuel-efficient cars. As an example, if Toyota would offer dual-zone ACC as a stand-alone option on a Corolla -- without requiring lots of additional options -- my guess is that this possibility would make a lot of people opt for the Corolla over its alternatives. This could also be a relatively inexpensive way to encourage buyers to opt for more fuel-efficient cars. Hyundai markets its new Elantra with ACC in other markets -- outside the U.S. Wouldn't the offering of this option on an otherwise-basic Elantra in the U.S. bring with it quite a lot of market share? It almost makes you wonder whether there's some kind of wink-wink/nod-nod collusion among auto producers who market in the U.S. But I guess that would be illegal.
  • Options
    You can still buy a loaded Mini or A3.
  • Options
    Jax,

Those cost more out the door - and the fuel economy is not as good as the 'Yota Corolla.

The Audi A4 would be an option for me at this point - specifically the 1.8T FWD model with the 5-spd auto. The MPG on that model is good.

But it also costs mid-30s, which I just can't abide: I spent too many years in the "struggling to get by" economic group to blow more than, say, 20 to 22 USD on a car.

I have considered the new Elantra. The body seems a bit weird, but the interior is nice. I guess I need to go test-drive one.
  • Options
    Yes; the loaded mini or A3 would be very nice if they just weren't so pricey. I'd like to see Toyota try a marketing experiment: Try giving consumers ala carte choice of those luxury options that are ordinarily reserved for cars selling around $30K. If there is no defacto collusion among auto vendors in the U.S. there should be every incentive for Toyota to do this. The result COULD be lots of people shifting away from less fuel-efficient models. We would all benefit from that. I'm hoping that if Toyota won't break with the cartel maybe Hyundai will with the Elantra. I agree with you that it looks great inside for the price.
  • Options
    It flies in the face of productivity and lower costs and better quality. Look at Honda they essentially offer no options, 'We build them one way'.

This is one of the key reasons why Toyota and Honda have been so successful in keeping down the production costs, they aim for the center of the market and let the others, Mazda, Subaru, etc supply the small volume niche products. There's more money in the center of the market because the volume is bigger and in the end it's all about money.
  • Options
    Great point, kdhspyder. Although I still suspect that Corollas might sell in much greater numbers -- enough even to offset the advantages of scale you mention -- if options that all the manufacturers seem (suspiciously IMHO) to reserve for loaded and/or larger vehicles were made available on the otherwise-very-remarkable Corolla.
  • Options
    Now that the price of some options like Navi and BT and 6 disc premium sound systems is coming down these are able to find their way into 'economy' vehicles ( weird name for such a vehicle ).

But there is a lot of safety/convenience equipment that must be added first because either it's mandated or the market demands it...
    ..6/7 Airbags
    ..Stability Ctrl
    ..Traction Ctrl
    ..Tilt & telescoping steering wheel
    ..Power seats (?)
    ..All power windows and locks etc.
    ..Cruise
  • Options
    You can also buy the small Lexus IS250 to have luxury features in a small sedan. It gets 32MPG highway.
    In a slightly larger package, there is also the Acura TSX you can probably get for $27K or less after discounting, so I don't think a $25K Corolla would sell.
  • Options
    Is there some news about the Hybrid engine?, is possible to use the Camry Tecnology with 2.4 VVTI and a Hybrid engine too in the new 2008 corolla box? :) 160HP

Plus Pirelli P7000 205-60-16 tires, alloy wheels,4wheel disc brakes, EBD, ABS.
    5 speed automatic tranmission, sun roof, cruise control, Bose Premium Sound, 6CD in dash, electric seats, power w/p/Locks and p/mirrows, and all that nice loaded package. Range 23K to 25K US$.
  • Options
    Another issue I note in this current thread is the propensity to 6-cylinder engines.

I really don't want a 6: I prefer a 4.

I already have a 6 that is SUPPOSED to get 22 and 32. The only time I have ever seen anything close to 32 was cruising the desperately-flat midwest in October with outside temps in the low 40s (F): under those conditions, with no need for the aircon compressor running, I got 31.

I have *NEVER* seen 22 or 32 otherwise - and I drive reasonably (no more than, at most, 10 over the posted limit, no hard starts).

Fuel will, surely, go up again: I just have no desire to keep pumping gas into the tank and money out of my wallet. Consistent mid 30s for all-around driving would really do me nicely.
  • Options
    It may well be true that a Corolla outfitted with (say) dual-zone climate control and extra sound insulation would not sell at the cost premium they'd need to charge to cover those extras. And maybe it's just that the manufacturers know this. All I'm really saying is that it's just possible that what they actually know is that a $17,000 Corolla with those things would in fact sell big time and that this prospect terrifies them -- possibly to the point of colluding against such offerings industry-wide -- since it takes away sales of higher-margin vehicles. (I do understand that the Elantra has something like this but not here; why?) If this were true it would be a shame just because, to whatever degree it leads people to buy less fuel-efficient (and more expensive) cars, it drives up overall fuel consumption. Besides, everyone loves conspiracy theories! :)
  • Options
    Corolla CE
    $14,205 MSRP [1]

Corolla S
    $15,250 MSRP [1]

Corolla LE
    $15,415 MSRP [1]

You’ve got a strong sense of where you’re headed in life. So, all you need now is the right set of wheels to get you there. Enter the 2007 Corolla. Under its skin of stylish, contemporary design is a foundation of legendary quality, dependability and value. But, out on the road, the new Corolla is all about thrilling you with a fun-to-drive attitude that’s a perfect match for your own. And no matter which model you choose — the CE, the well-appointed LE, or the aggressively styled S — one thing’s for sure. Wherever it is your Corolla takes you, you’re going to get a lot more satisfaction out of driving there.
  • Options
    Check the 2007 LE price, maybe the full loaded corolla 2008 will be in the range US$ 17k to 21K. and Hybrid will cost 2K more. What do yo think abou this price pronostic? :)
  • Options
    There will be no hybrid Corolla in the next release.

$16 - $21 sounds about right. It's right where they are now but without a true upper trim level. Put a nice Euro upper trim with Navi and it's at $21K.

It makes sense too for the customer because at $21K they can choose between a very basic or nice Camry with a much bigger engine and much more room vs a spiffed up Corolla. That's a good choice for the ex-Scion buyer who's a little better off than at first and wants some nice features. It also might appeal to the long time Corolla owner who doesnt want to go all the way up to the HUGE Camry to get some niceties.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    1. Fix the driving position so it's comfortable for most drivers. It's frustrating not being able to even consider a nice small car like the Corolla because it's painful to sit in the driver's seat.
    2. Keep the excellent fuel economy. Don't go the "bigger, more powerful" route that many other small cars have gone unless the fuel economy numbers stay at least as good as they are now. A study was released today that shows fuel economy is the #1 criterion for car buyers nowadays, with reliability #2.
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    If the corolla got a tilt-telescoping wheel, better padded seats with lumber and height adjust, optional leather with heat, and a new 3 spoke design (think old BMW E46 328Ci) and that takes care of number1!

A 5-6 speed automanual takes care of #2 #1!
    -Cj :)
  • Options
    Anyone here about power seats in the future corolla.
  • Options
    Autoblog.com check the Detroit Auto Show
  • Options
    elemoncellielemoncelli Member Posts: 43
    All I want is a small car with great handling and gas milage. Give the new Corolla a MINI like ride with Corolla fuel efficency and quality and you'll get a Corolla buyer for life.
  • Options
    It also might appeal to the long time Corolla owner who doesnt want to go all the way up to the HUGE Camry to get some niceties.

You know, you do have a point here. I remember when the Camry came out - the very first iteration.

That car was the size of the present Corolla.

And the present Camry?

It's the size of the long-running (and now defunct) bastion of the blue-haired older lady: the several-years-defunct Buick LeSabre (late 1980s - 2000).

brrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • Options
    I want a new corolla FE anf Fun to drive, I hope Japan Engineers bring with a nice design and a powerfull new XRS to United States. Dont you remenber the Corolla FX-16 GTS in 1988. That was a real fun to drive small car.

Please check the Edmunds report about the Civic SI Sedan 4 doors, 2007. with 197Hp. and the new mitsubishi Laner GTS, steal the box and concepts from Lexus IS 350, I love that new design, only have 152HP.
  • Options
    drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    Apologies if this is old news, but I'm not a Corolla owner, nor have anything to ever say about it... but, if you haven't seen the actual new Corolla... here it is.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/rsslink.cfm/article/2070119.005/toyota/all-new-toyot- a-corolla-in-depth
  • Options
    That is the 10th generation Corolla that is going to be put into production in Europe. That is not the Corolla that is going be put into production in the U.S.

The U.S. 10th generation Corolla was said to be delayed and most likely won't come out till late 2007 or early 2008.
  • Options
    agalasagalas Member Posts: 38
    I hope the styling of the Corolla is the same as this 10th gen Euro model.

It looks fantastic, whith an aggressive front facia similar to the Camry and a very upscale look overall.
  • Options
    mark63mark63 Member Posts: 27
    http://2008corollaus.blogspot.com/

THIS IS THE NEW COROLLA FOR US MARKET

IT'S VERY DIFFER FROM EUROPEAN MARKET

THE CONCEPT SHOWN..... SIDE MIRROR FROM THE UNCOVERED PHOTOS
  • Options
    Sorry Mark that is a crock. You posted it elsewhere previously if I'm not mistaken. The concept drawing is just that. The one revealed by drjames is much much closer to what we will see.

... and there will be no V6! ... and probably only a few if any 2.0L either. Some of the people working at Camrbridge in Ont have the new engine specs already. The sedan body has been ready for nearly 6 months already. Again some have seen it in person.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I am BIG fan of the Euro-Corolla's interior styling - clean, modern without being overwrought, ergonomically sound. I hope it finds its way to the US basically unaltered.

kdhsypder - Can you post the engine specs as you know them?

~alpha
  • Options
    "That is the 10th generation Corolla that is going to be put into production in Europe. That is not the Corolla that is going be put into production in the U.S."

I thought this was the new Euro Corolla....

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/204745/toyota_auris.html
  • Options
    Might it be UK-only? Its also not called Corolla.

I prefer the sharper creases and front fascia of the sedan previously shown. This HB looks far too cartoon-like. At least the interior is the same (well, on the wrong side)

~alpha
  • Options
    There was a long discussion on Tn beginning back in July and moving over to a couple of other threads but as I understand from those more knowledgable ..
    ..the current 1ZZ and 2ZZ 1.8L VVTi engines will be replaced by new 1ZR and 2ZR 1.8L dual VVTi engines with slightly better HP but better FE. As I read it there could also be a 2.0L ZR for a special model.

I will admit that I don't have direct knowledge but from the feel/sound of the discussions and Toyota's normal evolutionary approach it seems right.
  • Options
    "Might it be UK-only? Its also not called Corolla"

Looking at several automotive news websites, they all claim that the name 'Corolla' is dead in Europe (including the UK)... and replaced with Auris. Since Europeans seem to love their small hatchbacks, it'd make sense. For example...

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/23/europeans-gets-first-look-at-toyota-auris/
  • Options
    There is no atraction because tis new Auris looks like the Skoda fabia 2002 box. I dont like it. :(
  • Options
    I really like the Corolla showcased on World Car fans. Just make sure it has good fuel economy and a broad powerband, make the torque available in the 1500-3000 range where its useable.

I punched the pedal on my V6 camry yesterday all the way to the floor after rolling through an electronic toll at 30mph just to see if the car would take off, and it rev'd to 4500-5000 max before shifting so I never reached that magic number where max HP and Torque were produced which is usually around 5500rpm. I usually cruise about town in the 1500-3000 rpm range, even at 70mph. What good is 192hp (2002 V6) if most of that doesnt show up until 3000+rpm? :( Even being a calm driver I only get 18-23mpg. In perfect conditions I might get 25- but I've never seen 25mpg :mad:
  • Options
    You sure sound like a calm driver, lol. And show me an engine in this class that has peak hp under 3000 RPM?

Actually, assuming you were coasting in OD (4th gear) if you nailed the accelerator at 30MPH, you should have near red-lined in second gear around 70MPH, well past 5000 RPM so I'm not sure what you mean?

In Consumer Reports test of your model, they averaged 21 MPG overall. I've found their overall ratings are typically very close to what I've averaged in my cars, and yours don't sound like they are that far off.

~alpha
  • Options
    Haha very funny alpha. :P I never go more than 5 over the limit and rarely punch the throttle to the floor (I've done it about 3 times in the last decade, literally.) So I believe I am a calm driver. Everybody else in town passes me like I'm standing still when I'm at the speed limit.

I had to slow down from 65 to 25 to go through the toll, so I doubt I was in 4th gear. the car shifted twice on its way back to 65, so I was probably in first or 2nd at 30. By the time I reached 65 again I think I maxed at around 4500rpm.
    I guess I'm just wondering why the bother advertise horsepower when most drivers never get to use all they advertise. My car has 192 @ 5300rpm and 209ft/lb at 4400rpm. I never make it that high in RPMs. It's like buying a dozen eggs and using only 6 when they sell eggs in half-dozen too.

I'd prefer lower horsepower, but it all be usable. Say 150hp diesel 200ft/lbs of torque available at say 2000-4000rpm. You'd get great milage and have more fun, if the car handles well youd be a lot safer too since you could get out of the way faster as well.
  • Options
    OK, if you FLOOR the accelerator from a rolling 25MPH, you will definitely reach near red-line in the climb back to 65MPH. Either you didn't floor the car, or your speeds are off. Try it.

Why bother advertising horsepower? Are you kidding? That's like telling Starbucks not to advertise specialty drinks when most people order plain coffee.

What other metric do you suggest? Max horspower and torque are measureable and can be standardized. If consumers want information on acceleration and economy, the whole picture is easily constructed by consulting the various automotive resources available simply by walking into a corner bookstore, or logging on to the web.

And, normally aspirated (and many turbo) diesels aren't typically faster than similar sized (gasoline) engine vehciles.

~alpha
  • Options
    xumed07xumed07 Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys, I noticed the xD's specs are similar to the current gen. of Corolla.

ENGINE for xD

Type: 1.8-liter, 4-cylinder, DOHC 16-valve EFI with VVT-i

Bore and Stroke: 3.17 x 3.48 inches (3.11 X 3.60)

Displacement: 1798 cc (1794 cc)

Compression Ratio: 10.0:1 (same)

Horsepower: 128 hp @ 6000 rpm (126 hp @ 6000 rpm)

Torque: 125 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm (122 lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm)

I'm curious how much the xD weighs. Anyways, The engine for the next gen Corolla isn't that much powerful than the xD, which is the same by the way. Add another 6 hp and 4 pound feet of torque and there you have it.
  • Options
    One thing I did notice about the xD, though, is that the 1.8L unit is physically marked 'DUAL VVTi', which is something the current Corolla doesn't have. This makes me wonder - is this the same engine that will be in the next Corolla, only de-tuned, or is the new Corolla 1.8L an entirely different engine?

Still, I feel that for the NG Corolla, assuming weight doesn't increase significantly, a 134 horse (SAE rated) unit will do fine, especially if they can keep the MPG up. The new Corolla, also, is expected to have a 5A instead of the current 4A.

~alpha
  • Options
    Interesting catch. 134 hp is plenty. My 97 & 00 Camry's only had 135 Non-SAE.