Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Well, yes, but those Camrys also weighed 3100 lbs and were painfully slow when paired with the 4A. I sure hope the Corolla doesn't befall the same fate, lol!

C/D's best 0-60 in a Gen 4 Camry 4 4A was 10.5sec
    C/D's 0-60 in the Gen 6 Camry 4 5A is 8.7sec

~alpha
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Whenever Toyota releases the new Toyota Corolla it will look like a mini 2007 generation Camry.
  • fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    it will be a fussion between the Camry 2007 and the lexus IS350. Check the new Mitubishi 2008, the Mitsu design Engineers stealth the 2007 lexus I350 and launch the new Lancer GTS 2008. with 150 Hp :)
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    ...It will probably be very similar to the Corolla sedan that recently debuted in Asia but with a few changes:

1) The engine will be a 2.0-liter I-4 Dual VVT-i unit probably rated at around 138 bhp.

2) The transmission choice will be either five-speed manual or a version of the CVT-i automatic used on JDM Corollas but modified to better suit American driving conditions.

3) It will use the more upscale interior derived from the JDM/European Toyota Auris hatchback.

4) Toyota will tune the suspension for better handling so it can better compete against the Honda Civic and Mazda3.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Why are people making these pronouncements without facts?
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Because they can :P
    if you analize the toyota design strategy you will find a pattern that follows this way.

Lexus box modelo 2000 to 2005 tranfer the design to corolla 2003, then corolla 2003 tranfer the design to yaris o echo 2006.

Now is the same.... Lexus and Camry tranfer the box to corolla 2008, and then in 2011 corolla tranfer the box to Echo.
    This design have some logic if you think about that Toyota is more conservative than Honda or Mazda designs.

Tell me your point of view :)
    Check out the complete list of prices* below.
    Lancer DE (2.0L/5M) $14,615
    Lancer DE (2.0L/CVT) $15,515
    Lancer ES (2.0L/5M) $16,615
    Lancer ES (2.0L/CVT) $17,515
    Lancer GTS (2.0L/5M) $18,115
    Lancer GTS (2.0L/CVT) $19,115
    *All prices include an extra $625 for shipping.
    GTS com0os full loaded, 152HP, theres is another option The Rally Art, 2.0 pñus turbo and 4WD, EVOX cousin.

Tell me about Corolla 2008, looks like nobody mades the homework?
    :)
    For that country.
    The US Corollas and countries on other continents' Corollas have different styling.
  • elemoncellielemoncelli Member Posts: 43
    All I know is the new Corrolla better be on the ball, other manufacturers are going more upscale and Toyota will be left behind if they arent careful. VW's 2008 Jetta will have a 140hp diesel motor with over 200ft/lb of torque which will make it fun to drive and give it fuel efficiency in the 40+ mpg range not to mention side and curtain airbags, and a virtual alphabet of safety features. If it had Toyota reliablity I'd snap one up in a second flat. At the rate things are going reliablity is the only potential drawback I see.
    I wasn't aware of that :confuse:
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    other manufacturers are going more upscale and Toyota will be left behind if they arent careful.

It depends. If other manufacturers are going upscale and climbing up in terms of price points as well, that would potentially create a nice vaccum for the Corolla if it stays within the current price range. Not everyone wants to pay 20 grand for a high quality small car.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    "More upscale" could mean having standard safety and convenience features such as telescopic steering wheel, ABS, side bags/curtains, and active head restraints, and optional features such as VSC, heated leather seats, satellite radio, Bluetooth, SmartKey, and navigation. Corolla currently has none of these in the U.S. except optional VSC, but some of its competitors have most if not all of these features. And they don't cost $20k. The bar has been raised since the current Corolla debuted in 2002.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I agree. This segment has been changing fast in the last five years. The current Corolla's continuing sales success (increasing in sales as it ages, to well over the 300K point last year) may indicate that people would rather save the bucks than pay for the additional features and safety content, but of course with models like the Elantra out there, people don't necessarily have to pay more to get more.

I think it is virtually inevitable that the next Corolla will match the Civic dollar for dollar on pricing. The only difference is Toyota won't build a DX without A/C. If there still is a CE, I expect it to be $1000 more than a Civic DX, and to have one or two more standard features, probably the A/C and a 4-speaker CD stereo (and I expect all Corollas to have six standard airbags, ABS, and VSC). Certainly if the cheaper Yaris has standard A/C and CD, Toyota won't leave them off the base Corolla. (This is also probably the last generation Civic in which the base model lacks A/C)

That means an '08 Corolla S will go for almost $20K before options with an automatic. Look at the competition. Why wouldn't they raise the prices that high?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Side airbags and ABS need to be standard, I think, although Toyota left them off the Yaris as standards. VSC as standard? Only if Toyota wants the Corolla to stand out as the only car in its class with standard VSC. I think that's doubtful as they try to keep the price reasonable, especially on the CE.

If the S has leather standard, plus ABS and the side bags, then it might garner in the $19's with an automatic. Some competitors like the Lancer GTS and Elantra Limited are $1000-2000 less than that MSRP, so it can't be much more as real-world prices for the competition are even less ($1500 in rebates on the Elantra right now, for example).
  • elemoncellielemoncelli Member Posts: 43
    The pictures you posted... I found a Business Week online article about the Geneva Auto Show and they showed your 2008 Corrolla without the Rally paint job, as the Toyota Auris. Saying that will be the name of the 5 door, the 4 door sedan will still be named Corrolla, at least in Europe anyway. I'm not sure I like the idea of a Corrolla 5 door, but I really like that front end. I hope the nose stays the same on if they ship the Corrolla over here.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/03/0305_geneva/index_01.htm
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I'm fairly certain that all the well known safety features and the alphabet soup of electronic devices will all be standard except possibly VSC/Trac on the base CE. Tilt and Telescoping seems pretty important because that was one of the key comments about the current Gen that the wheel seems awfully far away.

Here's a weird one. Toyota just eliminated all the incentives nationally on the Corolla!!! Are they expecting a cos of fuel spike like last year that drew the inventory down to nothing? Too many fleet sales? LOL. This is a 5+ y.o. model for heaven's sake.

They certainly have to keep an eye on the Elantra and Sentra but what is happening to the Civic? Sales are way down last month!!
    The Lancer GTS, offers more features than Corolla, is more loaded, I am waiting to see the new corolla, but im in love with thos state of the art. Lancer GTS. :)
    Toyota made a public pronouncement last year significant enough that I still remember it: all Toyotas will have VSC by 2009. At the time, I took it to mean that VSC would be standard by then, in which case making it standard across the line for the '09 Corolla would make a lot of sense. But now I am wondering if maybe they just meant it would be at least optional for all '09 Toyotas?

Right now, I don't think it is even optional for the Yaris. But a lot can change in 2 years. Plus, NHTSA is probably going to make it mandatory for all 2011 or 2012 vehicles, right?

And gas is already $3/gallon in my neck of the woods, now holding steady the last 4 or 5 days. But Corollas are still flying off the lots around here, they can't keep them in stock.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

The Camry would get VSC standard first, I'd think. If the Corolla gets it for '08, I'll bet Camry does too. There was a review of the Yaris that stated the car really needs VSC--so let's hope Toyota holds to their promise.

Once a car has ABS, how much more does it cost to add VSC anyway??
    In the other markets where Yaris is sold, it already has VSC (and optional HIDs, and ABS and 6 airbags, and keyless start, and...oh never mind). So it's not a problem of design, it's one of cost. They could put it in the Yaris tomorrow, but then they might have to raise the price of the car $300 - oooohhh!! Americans always get jipped in equipment content in their small cars. :mad:

That's because small cars like the Yaris are pegged in the U.S. as "cheap econoboxes." People expect a low price and usually don't expect much in the way of features. They'll even put up with a car w/o side airbags or ABS or a seat height adjuster! But there's a shift happening with cars in the Corolla's class, as people get into saving gas and realize that a car of that class can meet 95% or even 100% of their needs, just as it does for people in other countries. So we're seeing upscale features moving into the compact space, and you can now get a pretty luxurious compact car. I hope the '08 Corolla continues that trend, so that people who want a small, fuel-efficient car don't have to sacrifice safety and convenience features.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Take that one step further and make a wagon version of the same well equipped small car and suddenly it has plenty of room and fits an even greater percentage of peoples needs.

A Corolla wagon has more space than the Matrix and gets Corolla efficiency. Unfortunately if they bring such a vehicle here they can't say "all the utility of an SUV without the guzzling" because it would hurt sales of more profitable SUVs.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Well said.

Who would want to hurt sales? ;)
    Toyota used to sell Corolla wagons here. They didn't sell very well, even in the days before the huge popularity of SUVs. If Toyota thought a Corolla wagon--ANY wagon for that matter, they used to sell Camry wagons also--would sell in any volume in the U.S., they'd bring it here. Wagons just don't sell these days. How many wagons are available in the U.S. right now from non-luxury marques? Not many.
  • enajenaj Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any information as to when the 2008 Corolla will go on sale in the US?
    At the usual time. The 2008 Corolla is the same as a 2007 Corolla. The new design will be a 2009 model, so you have a very long wait.
    Same for the new Mazda3. It will be a 2009 model also.
    How are you so sure the new Corolla will be an '09 model? I highly doubt that, as the current one debuted as an '03 in March of 2002.

~alpha
    It has already been posted.
    Yes, it is an unusually long period, but there were delays.
    Too bad for them. Luckily for Toyota people will still buy them due to high fuel prices.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes they did have a Corolla wagon in the past, but its demise was predetermined. They did not spend a dime on advertising and it only got 1 picture in the entire brochure.

People will buy wagons if they are advertised - Subaru sells 10 wagons for every sedan.
    The delays I don't believe have anything to do with the Corolla itself. Some here in NA have already seen it. It's done and has been since mid 2006
    Yep there are more Matrix's sold than there were Corolla wagons just as there are way more Highlanders sold than Camry wagons.

Seems like both were pretty good moves.
    See post 409 from months ago.
    Subaru is irrelevant for this discussion. Subaru sells mostly mid-sized wagons, and all are AWD. If you put AWD on a Corolla wagon and upsized it to the size of an Outback, there goes the fuel economy benefit you mentioned.

How many compact sedans have wagon variants in the U.S.? VW dropped the Jetta wagon from the U.S. Ford is dropping the Focus wagon. Small wagons don't sell well. Small SUVs and cross-overs sell quite well, however, and hatchbacks are making a comeback. There's not a big difference between a wagon and many of today's hatchbacks. So little that even Edmunds.com calls them "wagons."
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    They have a Corolla station wagon (Corolla Fielder) in Japan, with available AWD. They get a pretty decent mileage, if not to the extent of the "regular" Corolla. I wouldn't mind driving the Fielder in the U.S. But then again, I may be in the minority.
    a Fielder if I could get one into the States! As it is, my Matrix was as close as I could get. Now with the new Blade coming out, similar size and purpose, I suppose we STILL won't see a wagon offered with the next-gen Corolla. :sick:

• camfancamfan Member Posts: 1
    I've owned an '86, '94 (my fave), and now an '02 Camry. As you can tell, I'm partial to Toyotas mid size sedan. With gas prices responding negatively to a news story of a Saudi sheik farting at an OPEC meeting, I think the writing is on the wall that petro based fuel will cost dearly from here on out. After examing my lifestyle and usage patterns, I've come to the conclusion that I don't need a mid sized car. The Corolla offers good economy as it stands, and if Toyota is to be believed, will soon be hybridized ala Camry. I'm planning on keeping the Camry for a few more years, because for its size, the fuel economy is superb. I have been researching what the next Corolla may look like and found the following site:http://tinyurl.com/3axl8e (I've condensed the url) which may give a fair indication what the next Corolla may resemble. If you look at all the pictures, you see design elements from the new Avalon and Camry. Hope all my fellow Toyota fans enjoy.
    I talked with a Master Sales Rep from my local Toyota dealer at the auto show today. I've known him for several years. He trains the other sales reps at this dealership. Here is what he said about the all-new 2008 Corolla, FWIW:

* It will come to the U.S. this year as a 2008 model.
    * It will be a sedan only--he hasn't heard anything about Toyota bringing the wagon here.
    * It will have a Dual VVT-i 2.4L engine standard. I questioned him about that, because I found it hard to believe, but he reiterated it would be the standard Corolla engine.
    * very very curious.. It could happen but I'd be surprised.
    * very likely
    * very doubtful from what I gather over at TN where some who work at Cambridge seem to stating that it will be a 1.8L dual VVT-i or a 2.0L dual VVT-i. I do believe that the 2.4L dual VVT-i will end up in the new Matrix though.
    I doubt that info is true, but we will find out later this year.
    Yes the Wagon will never make a comeback because in today's age it is the land of crossover vehicles. The Toyota Corolla Wagon became the The Toyota Corolla Matrix. While the Camry Wagon was discontinued in 1996. Later Toyota came out with the Highlander which is basically a Crossover Camry wagon. But today the word "Wagon" hurts sales so they slap another name such as Matrix, Highlander, Vibe, and etc.

In regards to Toyota coming out with a new Corolla later this year as a 2008 model it will be interesting because I am curious if Toyota keeps the current model another year. But what I believe happens is Toyota releases it early next year as an 09 model. I have gotten mixed responses because it keeps changing but I keep hearing early next year.
  • eutiqueoeutiqueo Member Posts: 4
    Go check the Toyota websites in Ireland, Australia,and spain. In Ireland they have a wagon as well
    check the "Aurion" in Australia and the "Auris" In Ireland
    In spain there is this cool video of the Auris
    I relly like the Aurion
    How come in America we get the worst models

Toyota.ie
    Toyota.com.au
    toyota.es
    corolla
    image">
    corolla verso like a wagon
    Aurion
    Aurion
    Auris
    Inside Auris
  • eutiqueoeutiqueo Member Posts: 4
    here its the new corlla axio allredy selling in japan

:P the following website It show how they can modefie the car

http://toyota.jp/customize/corollaaxio/
    If you can read japanese

Here is the link

http://www.motormagazinesha.co.jp/medialog/modules/wordpress1/index.php?p=185#

• twq83twq83 Member Posts: 19
    It looks like a Scion tC ......... Anywho ....... here's the scoop:

those for 2007 (MY08) release get ........ Zer0 points :cry:
    those for 2008 (MY09) release pat yourselves on the back. :) Your right and there wrong :P ..... Toyota just released the Tenative Release dates for the NEW :surprise: (Major Changes) and Improved 2009 Corolla ..... Release date is set for February 2008 ( If hell doesn't freeze over or global warming submerges all dry land, BUT you know Toyota is always a Month or two late ;) )............ AND FUNNY enough release for the NEW (Major Changes )and Improved Matrix is ..... you guessed it February 2008 for the 2009 Matrix. This comes right from the Top so it is very good Information.

Comments ..............
    Agreed, this has been the position all along of the people working at Cambridge and Fremont.

Now if someone has more updated info on the new 'ZR' engines that would also be interesting. 1.8L or 2.0L? Dual VVT-i assumed? New 2.4L 'ZR' in the new Matrix?
    That sounds right because the current Corolla came out in February 2002 as a 2003 model. So technically Toyota said the Corolla was delayed one year and that is accurate. Because the Redesigned Corolla was supposed to come out February 2007 as an 2008 model but it was delayed a year and now is coming out February 2008 as a 2009 model.

Also the Matrix will no longer be called the Matrix when the redesigned model comes out it will be renamed the Toyota Blade which I have heard from various sources.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/12496/2009-toyota-blade.html
    I think February is stupid and too early for a following model year release. Why can't the damn thing be an '08 introduced in Februrary '08. It must be due to CAFE or something along those lines. March is a little better (like the Camry, for example), and April is fair, but February is just plain odd, for me. I mean look what happened - the current, outdated, less safe than the competion Corolla will have been on the market for SIX model years!

~alpha