Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I'm thining seriuosly to move to Lancer GTS, i am waiting the new corolla box to take a decision

Don't have a clue to what this means :confuse: Maybe somebody can translate for me. Thanks :shades:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    He's waiting to see what the Corolla looks like before deciding to get a Lancer GTS.

Please remember that not everyone who participates on these boards speaks English as a native language!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    won't look at the new Lancer as its primary competition, partly because it doesn't intend Corolla to be especially sporty, and partly because of the traditional rivalry with Honda. I am sure it will have the new Civic very much in mind when it decides all the specs of the new Corolla. Hopefully, it won't be too unstylish. :-/

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, and also the Lancer is a blip on the sales charts compared to the Corolla, Civic et. al. The Lancer is more aimed at cars like the Jetta and Mazda3; the Corolla is aimed at the economy market for which fuel economy is a top criterion.
    Of course, the model I didn't mention, but which Toyota would do very well to keep its eye on this time around, is the new Elantra. Because when this Corolla is only three years old, there will be an even newer Elantra, and you can bet they will jump forward as much as if not more than they did with the current model. And doesn't Hyundai Korea have some stern new mandate to Hyundai America to double their sales or something? You can bet they will be going all out to achieve that goal.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    That's all well and good, but as it stands, through end of March, the Elantra is behind pace compared to last year, down 11.5% (though tomorrow's figures may change that), and the Sonata is down 30% (due primarily, one would hope, to the pull back from the "butts in seats" strategy that dumped gluts of 06 Sonatas on the rental lots).

My point being that the cars are significantly improved, but its going to take awhile before perception catches up with reality. If Toyota's redesign of the Corolla is more along the lines of its recent successful redesigns (Avalon, RAV4, etc), and not its mediocre ones (Yaris), I think the organization will maintain a perception of leadership.

But you're right - right now, especially with incentives, I'd choose the slightly awkwardly styled Elantra over the Corolla.

I certainly agree and understand that Toyota is smart in continuing on with the Corolla's historic attributes of efficiency and reliability. Evidence to this continued emphasis is seen in that all prelim info points to the Corolla's introduction of a new 1.8L engine and 5A, while many competitors have upped displacement to 2.0+ liters.

That said, I still think there is room in the Toyota or Scion lineups for a fastback 5 door sedan to compete with the 3 and Lancer (a vehicle I really feel people are underestimating at this point).

Don't forget, at one time, the Corolla line was much more than just a sedan... hatch, hot-hatch (FX16), two door twin cam coupe, wagon, and All-Trac wagon.

~alpha
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Wish they would bring back some of those. I gues they make more profit on SUV's and Sports cars though.
  • fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    Hello Partners!!!!
    I Apologize if my grammar insult you IQ, maybe your english will be better , but the thing is to expose ideas an criteerias and try to grow together and leran from each other....
    Check the cahrt Cost and benefit and compare the Corolla 2007 to Lancer GTS, Design, power, style, fuel economy, power, extras,( 18 alloy wheels, GPS, ABS, tires, Rocford Fosgate Radio Satellite plus Mp3, paddles in steering wheel, tiptronic transmission, and a lot of things more!!!! As a customers what are you looking for???? more car for your money, think about 20 grants and check mazda, civic, corolla, hiunday, and Mitsubishi... Thats my Point of view, getting more quality and a loaded car for my money. And there is a new 20 to 30 generation that is demanding more technology in a compact cars.... not the one Toyota engineers designers want to sale like a satnadra sedan..People want moooorrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! :)
    Sure, but there are lots of folks at that end of the spectrum - Nissan will go head to head with the new Lancer with its own Sentra SE-R and Spec V, and that's before you get to the Civic SIs, the Mazda3, the VWs and Subarus at $20K, and more. OTOH, at the other end of the spectrum, there is what exactly? Corolla, not much else that leads in reliability and fuel economy and resale. Toyota knows that, that's why the Corolla is the way it is.

I hear what you are saying, and it would be nice if Toyota would take some chances with the Corolla. But the very profitable midmarket seems to be where they are the most comfortable these days.

The 2008 Lancer is a good car and much improved over the old one, but it doesn't hit my buttons. I don't need a zillion watt stereo or paddle shifters. I don't need swaths of hard plastic everywhere in the interior in a $17k+ car. I certainly don't need under-30 mpg fuel economy, especially without the extra power to compensate for it. If I buy a small car, I want small-car fuel economy. If I want mid-sized fuel economy, I'll get a mid-sized car for the same money as the Lancer.

One thing I hope and expect the Corolla to retain is its high fuel economy. I don't mind if it has only 1.8L, that's plenty big for a compact car. Fix the driving position problem, update the styling, sharpen the handling just a bit, and maybe add a bit of room in the back and keep the price reasonable and I'll be satisfied with the new Corolla.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Backy, I think the Lancer's interior looks pretty good.
    Also the engine is at 152 horses (SAE certified), and the EPA ratings are those of the stricter 2008 methodology, so I disagree with your assessment of power and efficiency; I don't necessarily want a compact car solely on economy.
    For a compact, the Lancer is pretty roomy, and I like that it offers a lot of tech features for under 23 grand loaded -including SmartKey, advanced stereo/MP3 capabilities, paddle shifting..its nice to have those options.

Not everyone wants a midsize car just because its available at a similar price point. (Though, in all reality, there are no midsizers at 18K that I'd want...)

Clearly, the Lancer is more aimed at the MZ3 crowd, but even so, its mainstream versions look to be good values, especially if best-in-class fuel efficiency isn't your only goal. Its nice to have options, and I'm happy to see that Mitsubishi is finally bringing its A-game. The current Galant is a joke, for example.

I hope for the same things that you do for the Corolla (except I think the backseat is fine as is), all I'm saying is that it would be nice if Toyota, given its pockets full of cash, provided us more options than vanilla-bean sedan.

At the very least, I want to see the tech stuff that the Lancer (and Sentra) have available, available on the top trim Corollas. On this point, the new Elantra lets me down. And why lose the hatch at launch? I'm sure this more than accounts for the decrease in sales...

~alpha
    I think the Lancer's interior looks pretty good also. But try touching it...

Check out the power to weight ratio of the Lancer vs. Corolla and Civic, and then compare fuel economy (even the strict er 2008 regs). Look even at mid-sized cars like the Accord, Camry, and Optima that get better fuel economy than the Lancer but have more powerful engines even though they are heavier.

I did forget to mention one thing I expect and want on the next Corolla: standard side bags/curtains and ABS (ok, that's two things). Also better availability of VSC would be nice, in advance of the federal requirement.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    What if the corolla was optioned with 2 engine choices?

-140hp 1.8l I4 with a 5AT and 5MT

and

-215hp 2.4l I4 from camry with turbo and 6AT and 6MT.

If the corolla matched the Jetta in size and stayed the same price as it is or increases slightly, I'd be happy!

-Cj That big engine gives Civic SI, sentra SE-R ect a run for their money!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    215hp I4T

Exciting...but it doesn't make any money.
    Nope but its higher than the si, SE-r, and previous XRS.

Really, if the corolla uses the camry SE's parts it would be fun to drive. 215-230hp is great for a car now a days for any car under 3klbs!

If the Corolla had an optional sport suspension, 220hp turbo I4, 2.7klbs, costs 18k, had a 6MT(6automanual) it would be great.

If anything, toyota does have the 2.4l I4 that gets 160hp. With a 5-6AT/MT, in a 2700lbs car that is aerodynamic can be 28 city and 35highway under new testing. May that turbo'd will be good for 245hp.

-Cj :)
  • elemoncellielemoncelli Member Posts: 43
    Now your dreaming autoboy! 220-245hp and the Camry SE suspension in a Corolla will never happen. This is Toyota, boring but reliable is the name of their game.

I'd be plenty pleased with SE suspension and the automanual but i fear asking for even the 2.4 is too much.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    If Toyota would put all that in a smaller car, they would create an all-new model. Not in a Corolla. Not a chance. Corolla = Boring = Sells Well Toyota would not mess with this proven formula.
    YOu are so right. By doing this it marginalizes the Corolla and takes it out of the mainstream. The marginal products belong to Mazda and one Civic model. Everybody has to eat so the smaller volume vehicles go to the smaller volumer vehicle makers.
    A guy can dream right!! :blush:

Most likely the 1.8 tuned to 140hp and the 2.4(or turbo 1.8) for the XRS tuned for 200hp with sport suspension 6AT/6MT for civic SI and SE-R and mazdaspeed.

Toyota may bring the 2.4 into the corolla because the the MAZDA3 is the best in that category. The 2.4 can get great numbers. Maybe the corolla on the scion tC's platform. All it needs is a 6AT to keep the revs low when cruising and that puts the corolla ahead of the civic and sentra.

The LE just needs leather(heated)/leatherette, standard sunroof, and some optional NAV and 6AT. The S with sport tuned suspension and premium cloth.

CE as the base and maybe XRS as the sport for the mazdaspeed, si, ect.

If toyota can get the corolla with the same engine and a 6AT it would get better MPG.

-Cj
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Standard sunroof? Hope not - some of us won't fit very well. Why make it standard when it can be an option and people can have what they want.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    alpha i agree with not wanting a sub 20k car for nothing BUT economy...but lets face it, the lancer, as good as it handles, is simply not peppy, its barely adequate.

Put the world engine in it, and ok. But as of right now, the lancer needs is to loose weight. Even my over weight bunny is peppier.
    why would you want a turbo corolla? true a guy can dream but...i would prefer a nice dream.

Can you imagine the fuel economy on that thing? The 2.4 as of right now is nothing to write home about...

a six speed auto in a toyota? we'll be lucky to score the 5A on the corolla.

maybe a sportier version of the corolla with the 2.4 would be good...but it wouldn't really give the si or ser a run for thier money...i'm pretty sure the corolla will only be slightly heavier or ligher thant the tc, which as of right now cant match the si or se'r's numbers. and then there is the handling; i will truly take my hat off to toyota if they can make the corolla handle better than the si, but it simply wont happen.

If you want a turboed toyota; buy a supra. Or 'dream' of a re-introduction. (and it wont compete with the si or se-r either.)
    Actually, i don't care for turbo that much. I like to see naturally aspirated engines but i say turbo because thats toyotas best hope for more power and low displacement. I was actually hoping the sold a turbo tc instead of a supercharged one.

The tC can use a lot of weight easily but not cost effectively. If the tC had aluminum suspension, it would drop alot of weight. Also magnesium since currently its cheaper than aluminium. Then maybe carbonfiber pars like the hood and hatch. Then move the battery to the back of the car for weight distribution. Then add rear wiper. Cost of car now, about $20-30k.

A 6AT adds some weight but the revs will be lower at speed which is good. and reduces gear hunting. Ask GM/Ford! CVT are ok but I don't like them personally. Maybe the one in the Altima but thats about it...

-Cj
  • cklho818cklho818 Member Posts: 29
    The new Corolla was launched some time ago in Japan.

The official Toyota Japan site:

http://toyota.jp/corollaaxio/exterior/garally/index.html

Specifications:
    1.8L Super CVT-i w/ ~136hp (2WD or 4WD)Luxury Pkg
    1.5L Super CVT-i w/ ~110hp (2WD or 4WD)
    1.5L 5MT w/ ~110hp (2WD)

Colors: 7

The Japan Luxury version also has the following features: side mirror lite-market, Navigation system (new generations w/ 3D Landmarks), sonar radar, VSC: Vehichle Stability Control, EBD: Electronic Brake Force Distribution, ABS, rain sensor wipers

In addition, they have a car named Blade, which is a hatchback that may potentially replace the current Matrix.

Exterior:
    http://toyota.jp/blade/exterior/garally/index.html

Interior:
    http://toyota.jp/blade/interior/index3.html

Found all these information from the Toyota link. Hope this is helpful. ;)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    No. A Corolla in Japan or Europe is not the same as what the US gets.
    Look at their previous Corolla and you see it does not match the US Corolla either.
  • elemoncellielemoncelli Member Posts: 43
    I like your thinking CJ

I want the 1.8 (non turbo) w/ sport suspension 6AT and Leatherette. That would be my perfect car. A high milage car with sporty handling (not necessarily speed) and a nice interior.

I wonder if I could buy a standard 2008 corolla and stiffen the suspension? Hmmm..... :blush:
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    The XRS didn't fly, since no one looks to Corolla for performance, so I wouldn't expect to see it back.

MT said the XRS was almost as good as the Mazda3, it just needed hipper clothes. :surprise:

A coupe would be a good idea, and could give Scion tC some competition.

DrFill
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    When you ask a salesperson at a toyota dealership when the next generation corolla is coming out you sure get mixed answers. I asked two different sales people when the next generation corolla is coming out and got two different answers. One sales person says the next gen corolla will come out later this year. While the second salesperson I talked too said it is coming out next month. I swear do sales people know what they are talking about. Has anyone heard any other info on the launch date besides hearing that it is rumored to launch in spring 2008.
    Sales people do not know anything this far in advance. Many won't know anything until they see the car at the dealer.
    That's correct..and it's intentional.. also most have no idea that forums and sites like this exist....and that's intentional as well.
    true...but the blade is rumoured to come here under a different name.
    I swear do sales people know what they are talking about.

Most sales guys are clueless.
    20-30k with all aluminum body and some carbon fiber? Yeah, your not getting it from toyota first of all, and it wont be under 30k. as of right now, the only car in the corolla/scion pricerange to offer a 6A is the rabbit (and maybe entry level versions of the jetta.)

i like some of the ideas thrown around here, but toyota is not the company to dream it for, or expect if from.

Unfortunately performance and economy are a trade off and don't neccessarily co-exist MOST of the time. (this of course depends on your opinion of what performance is and what economy is.)
    you could stiffent the suspension using aftermarket mods...maybe toyota will make some trd ones depending on how they pitch the corolla.

There are plenty of great handling affordable fwd cars on the market; you'll just have to make do with decent and not stellar fuel economy, and more than likely a higher price point and only a manual being offered.
    Most customers hit the road when you tell them the car they may consider buying will be obsolete in 2 months. :surprise:

If this were Texas Hold 'Em, a salesman would put on "Fossilman Glasses" when questions like this come up. Not good for business. Sell what you have, not what you don't. :blush:

Think about it. Would you rather be clueless or broke.

DrFill
    Many people who are fully aware of the upcoming redesign are buying the 2007s anyway because they want the big price discounts and don't want to deal with first year glitches and backordered replacement parts for warranty repairs on all-new models.
    With the only significant changes being the new EPA numbers (28/37).

So expect a redesigned 2009 in March of 2008.

DrFill
  • fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    I Like you dream!!!!! Autoboy16. I Hope US Corolla comes with more power and competitive options. 215 HP plus turbo sound like music to my ears.

I am not agree with tou with the standar sun roof. Actually i'm driving a corolla LE 2003. Perfect!!!! I like the sun, so I prefer my sunroof. But My brother has the same LE, 2006, with more head space, meaybe 1.5 to 2 inches, because the space used by the false ceiling to cover sunroof mechanism. He's taller than me, and his head is almost close to the roof in my car.
    Please somebody show me new picure from corolla 2008, Is thos a Top secret porject??? Or something like this??? :)
  • popeyedotpopeyedot Member Posts: 3
    Scion is from Toyota. Why would they want competition for something they already own?
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Toyota hs forgotten how to build a sporty car for the consumer market. Solara is a luxury coupe as is the SC Lexus models. The Scion tC looks the part in a sort of strange/funky way, but doesn't have a sporty bone in its body. The 2nd generaion MR2 and Celica GTS were the last sports cars Toyota built.

The Corolla is about as far away from sporty as you can get. Sure, anyone can find aftermarket parts to stick in, but this car's personality is efficiency and realiability.

If you dream of sporty, best to look elsewhere.
    Toyota has surely lost interest in sporty cars, at least the kind that most of us can afford. Toyota does have plans to release at least a couple of supersports under the Lexus label (like the V10 LF-A), but I really wish they would release a sporty car that is affordable and enjoyable to drive.

Toyota says that the market does not support such models. Unfortunately, they may be right.
  • synpthesissynpthesis Member Posts: 28
    My '05 XRS was a pretty good car. Highly strung though. Bad accident with some truck making an unsafe left turn ended our relationship. Switching to a '01 TL was so vastly different that I wonder now if wringing out a 4cly is still in my near future. For good gas mileage you really can't beat a well designed inline 4.
    Toyota is too focused on volume and will continue to make more neither here nor there vehicles. Very good for the bottom line but that will finally play out - see cheap plastic in the new Camry, very Ford Taurus like.
  • synpthesissynpthesis Member Posts: 28
    A lot of Toyota's current philosophy seems so GM like (when GM was the dominant player). They know it all; where the market is at and where it is headed. I concur that you don't become the world's top seller by idle talk yet this company can't seem to match quality with passion. A page from Google - do all your core stuff, but set aside some time for those 'projects' and 'ideas' that MAY yield dividends in future.
    Mazda's Miata is a nice and affordable car in that segment you refer to.
    they did have the xrs corolla and matrix, which borrowed the gts' engine and made it sing a different tune, but the suspension was sorely lacking in both these models.

no market for this car? or no market for a car from toyota in this segment? :blush:

(ahem...civic si, volkswagen gti, mazdaspeed3, nissan sentra se-r...)
    civic si, volkswagen gti, mazdaspeed3, nissan sentra se-r

Those models exist, but how much of the market do they have? Very little, pratically neglible, and yet they are expensive to engineer and market. They are image leaders, and I do acknowledge that they definitely have places in the world.

Toyota does not want to spend millions and millions on such a small segment of the market. I am not saying that is the correct or wrong way. That is just the Toyota way today.
    Agreed and this is where Toyota differs from GM and the others. It stays focused on profits, more profits and more profits yet. The glitzy products make the enthusiasts go GaGa...but when all 43 of them pick up their vehicles how do you fill a production line?

The auto industry is only about volume and more volume. Without volume profits are not possible for a mainstream manufacturer.
    Just one little extra note: Interestingly, Toyota IS developing a couple of very expensive sports cars, SUPERsports cars, to be released to the market. While these will occupy even a smaller segment of the market than those other cars mentioned above, these planned supersports to Toyota are basically engineering experiments (e.g., a V10 engine), and by releasing them to the market, these cars will serve to showcase Toyota's capabilities. To that end, they are well worth the investment for the company. Their motorsport participation like that in Formula One is in the similar line of thought.
    Toyota does not want to spend millions and millions on such a small segment of the market. I am not saying that is the correct or wrong way. That is just the Toyota way today.

exactly. My point was not wether or not the market is big or not, but if it in fact exists and it does.

And, to echo my original statement, there is a market for these cars, just no market for one from toyota.

But if toyota is following in gm's footsteps...don't they even have the cobalt ss?

I guess no one will take toyota peformance seriously unless it says 'SUPRA' on it. :blush:
    Toyota does offer some pretty fast cars in Japan, even though those are not sports cars per se. A sedan model like the Mark X is really pretty sharp, with excellent handling characteristics and plenty of horses (256 hp JIS).

But considering the volume that this company produces, it IS remarkable that they at this time have nothing that can be called a sports car.

I sometimes wonder whether their partnership with Subaru could cause an oddball sports model with a Toyota label on to be born. Just a fancy thought. ;)
  • yysyysyysyys Member Posts: 51
    The new 2008 Corolla sedan, now called Corolla Axio, and the new wagon, Corolla Fielder, are the tenth generation. The American versions are expected to look more like the American Camry up front, with the protruding Camry nose, with a current-generation rear clip.

Toyota focused on enhancing basic performance and deepening the sense of quality, by responding to customer needs. Some specific examples are the rearview monitor that is standard on all Corolla Axio models and the one-touch double-folding rear seats that are standard on all Corolla Fielder models. In addition, the Corolla features a newly developed 1.8-liter engine and Super CVT-i (Super Continuously Variable Transmission-intelligent) transmission that provide outstanding cruising and environmental performance. The new Corolla uses advanced equipment not previously seen on compact vehicles, such as a Pre-crash Safety System using millimeter-wave radar and an Intelligent Parking Assist system, which lets people park just by using the gas and brakes (it turns the wheel for you). The Corolla is the second vehicle in the world to get this system - and it costs under a thousand dollars (translated from the yen). This system includes a backup camera monitor, which is probably also going to be available with the navigation system
    The American version of the Corolla, to be built in the usual North American plants, will be delayed around March 2008, in order to shake out any bugs for the world’s largest auto market, and probably to allow for factory upgrades and various Americanizing touches. (Past American Corollas have undergone considerable suspension and engine tuning along with the usual regulatory compliance measures which affect headlights, child seat anchors, and other systems.)
    Body notes: 2008 Corolla
    The front corners have been given a curved design to achieve effective maneuverability.
    The backseat floor hump is minimized to create flat-surfaced legroom, enabling three adults to sit in the rear comfortably (front-wheel-drive models).
    The steering wheel has a telescoping function that allows its position to be adjusted front to rear for a comfortable driving posture.
    To enhance visibility, the top surface of the instrument panel is low while the front pillars have been extended forward and made slimmer.
    The Smart Entry & Start System employs a Smart Key to lock and unlock the doors and a button to start the engine—all one needs is to have the vehicle key on one's person or nearby.
    The HDD (hard disc drive) navigation system features a 6.5-inch wide display screen and a 30GB high-capacity HDD, as well as a variety of multimedia functions and advanced navigation functions.
    New Toyota four-cylinder engine and CVT
    The new Corolla models feature a new 1.8-liter 2ZR-FE engine and Super CVT-i (Super Continuously Variable Transmission-intelligent) transmission developed as the main powertrain for compact and medium-class vehicles.
    A newly developed 1.8-liter 2ZR-FE engine adopts Dual VVT-i (Dual Variable Valve Timing-intelligent) that optimizes both intake and exhaust to achieve smooth and powerful acceleration, while offering fuel efficiency and environmental performance at class-leading levels.
    Both the 1.8-liter and 1.5-liter engines are combined with a newly developed Super CVT-i transmission for smooth cruising and linear acceleration without shift shock, as well as for a quiet ride and improved fuel efficiency.
    The new Corolla has a light-weight, high-rigidity body that seeks both a quiet cabin and superior aerodynamic properties; it uses an advanced chassis to achieve performance that makes it truly possible to experience the joy of driving.
    Key components of the front and rear suspensions have been tuned to provide brisk maneuvering and cruising stability, as well as a comfortable ride.
    Americans will probably only see the 1.8 liter engine.