Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW M3

boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
edited March 2014 in BMW
Is 2008 really the estimate for the next M3 to come out? That's what Motortrend has listed anyways. Engine-wise they hint at a V8 this time, producing around 400hp.

I can't see BMW using a V8 in this car personally. Motortrend reasoning was a V8 version of the new V10 going in the M5.

Either way, I'd expect prices to soar farther up?

Comments

• rikkrikk Member Posts: 14
    With the Acura RL, Audi S4, Volvo S60R, and other all wheel drive performance sedans I certainly hope BMW has a M3 sedan with AWD lurking on a design board somewhere. Come on guys lets have something to compete with them!
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    The M3 is a coupe currently. I've heard rumors it'll be changing to a sedan and a even higher performance M4 coupe will supercede it. Who the heck knows!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    a V8 is a must in the next Gen M3, given the V8 competition (S4, IS400). As for awd, many think it a neccessity to get all those horses hooked up.

I don't neccessarily agree but that's where the marketing side comes in. Speaking of marketing, there's no way BMW can wait til '08 for the next M3/4 while Audi cleans up w the S4 and Lexus introduces the IS400 (or is it a 430?).

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

The current 3.2l pumps out 333hp, but the torque is a bit low.

Why can't they just up the displacement a little? If they went up to say 3.4l, they could get about 355hp probably out of it!
  • westgmnwestgmn Member Posts: 11
    have you test driven any of these cars?
  • radox5radox5 Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of buying BMW M3 2005, but I'm a little afraid that I'll be stock with old model when the 2007 M4 comes out. I will like to enjoy my M3 at least for 3 years before the new model comes out. What you guys think???
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    Being "stuck" with an old M3 is a problem a lot of people would like to have, including me.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I can see waiting if you want SMG. Otherwise this is the last chance for the one with the rowing machine and stairmaster. Sad isn't it?
    This thread should be entitled 2006 M3. That's when the new model is scheduled to come out!

"To tide over buyers anxious for the V8-powered 400-hp M3 due in 2006...."

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_detroit/la_show/m3/pa- ges/1.htm

Got the above quote from the 2005 AutoShow.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Actually, though it will come out in 2006, it's scheduled as a 2007 model. Title changed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    you: Why can't they just up the displacement a little? If they went up to say 3.4l, they could get about 355hp probably out of it!

me: Or why can't they keep the engine the same displacement as it is now, and apply any technology enhancements to getting better mpg?

I guess I'll answer that by saying that the hp-race going on now is what consumers care about, over any mpg-race that others hope for.

If BMW wants to stay in the hp-race then of course they need to address the competition. And many people who test drive a vehicle do not care what the hp is, if they don't feel the low-end torque, from a stop.

I would guess the C-6 Corvette would be a direct competitor. Does BMW want to keep up? The C-6 Z-06 will launch next year with 500hp and close to that in torque. For the same money, most people are going to buy a Vette; unless you really want a back seat. Or that person might buy a 400-hp GTO, for less $.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    I don't think too many potential M3 buyers will be shopping a GTO.. A Vette or an Audi S4 maybe.. Not that the cars aren't basically similar (2+2 coupes with lots of horsepower).

For the same reasons that Lexus LS400 buyers weren't shopping Impala SS.. sort of..

Too far apart in price..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    you: I don't think too many potential M3 buyers will be shopping a GTO..

me: you're probably right, but the GTO is a viable alternative. If you like to pay $20K extra for the marque, and a different sort of performance (some pluses and some minuses). $20K can buy a lot of vacations to Hawaii though for instance. :-)
    Most people (meaning..not like me) that can afford $55K-$60K for an M3, don't have much trouble paying for that Hawaiian vacation..

It IS a different sort of performance.. More pluses than minuses IMO... but, even disregarding that.. different enough that it won't be cross-shopped..

I have a co-worker that has an '04 GTO... To me, it looks like a stretched Cavalier.. The '05 looks marginally better.. But, really, it is mostly horsepower... It handles like a pig on the stock all-season tires..

The Vette, I could see... But, then you have the 2-seat thing..

And... no one spends over $30K on any car.. and doesn't at least consider the brand image.. Nothing wrong with that, either..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    If you're that afraid of the new model, then lease an '05 M3 for 3 years. By the time your lease is up, the new V8 powered M3 will be out for about a year and should have all of the bugs worked out. The V8 id bound to have some problems like the current S54 motor did when it was introduced in 2001.

andys120: I completely agree with you. I'd love to be "stuck" with an E46 M3:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I love the current E46 M3 and would love to snatch up a leftover '06 model when the new E90 M3 comes out. As long as it has a 6-speed manual, black interior, and sunroof, I'll be happy!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

My new Road and Track just got here. It's got a mention of an upcoming M4 - a coupe with around 385hp.

I've seen mention of the M3/M4 -> where they mention them as maybe being the same car, so didn't know. I know the M5 will be the larger V10 sedan. I know the M6 is coming out, which will be a much larger coupe.

So, where would the M4 fit?
    BMW toyed with having the sedans as 3-series and the coupes as 4-series..

They dropped that idea, but much of the media seems to keep hanging on to it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• radox5radox5 Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a 2002 or 2003 BMW M3 convertible. I found one for sale that is 2002 with 12000 miles garage kept, SMG, 19 inch wheels, Navigation system, basicaly the car has everything that you can imagin. Also the car has BMW warrany until May 2006, and maintanence warrant until May 2005. The owner is asking $45000. I have few question for you guys;

1) Is the car worth it $45000?

2) Before I decide to buy this car should I take this car to a dealer for inspection?

3) Can I extend the warranty to 100k?

4) What should I look for when I go for a test drive?

Please let me know what you guys think.
    How about - off topic. 45k; no.
  • scotth6scotth6 Member Posts: 43
    I traded my 2003 M3 in Sept for a 2004 and discovered one week later that most of the 2002 and 2003 M3's were recalled to replace the connecting rods. If you remember there was some problems with engines blowing up and the problem was discovered as bad connecting rods. the problem is that the entire engine has to be taken apart and its a full uninterupted days work. Be careful buying a used 2001 to 2003 and make sure the service has been performed. It is covered under warranty and your engine gets a 100,000 mile warranty. I got this information in a letter from BMW because I actually owned a 2003 coupe and a 2002convertible. I traded the convertible on a z4 3.0 which I love.

The 2007 has the 4.0liter 400 HP chopped block from the 5.0 V10. I also read where it may be magnesium/aluminum combo like the new 3.0 and 2.5 to save weight and fuel economy. I'm sure the price will go up and if the don't offer a 6 speed I will keep my 2004.
  • iancariancar Member Posts: 31
    I dont believe horsepower alone can sell a car. If you want to have a GTO, good for you, because a lot of them just sitting in the inventory for more than a year now. Porsche is able to sell dorky interiors and inline-six for some ridiculous price tag. I can surely tell you that people who loves American cars may cross shopping to see Japanese and German cars, but European lovers wont even consider American options (especially Chevy and Pontiac).
  • darstar007darstar007 Member Posts: 2
    I'm close to buying a 2005 M3 coupe. As it is nearly at the end of its model run, I was wondering if there are any educated guesses on what to expect in the new '06/'07 M3 (or whatever it will be called). I hear that it will have a V8. Does anyone have an idea on how the pricing will be affected, how worse the the mpg will be?
    There won't be a new M3 until '07, at least.. No info as of yet..

The '06 shouldn't be any different than the '05..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• darstar007darstar007 Member Posts: 2
    Some websites have posted photos of a new M3 for 2006, is it safe to say this is bogus. What feature will be new in the '06 M3 if it is still the E46?
  • ultimatedriverultimatedriver Member Posts: 74
    To answer your questions with as much accuracy as my experience has granted me:
    1) The car lists at $45,240 but that's in "good" condition, which basically means that it'll last until the bad connecting rods go, or the f-ed up semi dry-sump oiling system goes on you. This buyer basically got his kicks out of the vehicle and is dumping it off for what he should've paid for it in the first place.
    2) Take it for a full diagnostic. Try engaging the seller in a conversation about the performance of the vehicle. Find out why he/she bought it. There was a lot of excitement when the E46 M3 debuted. The car flew off of the lots and into the hands of a lot of wannabes with lead feet. When the practicality wears off, they sell for Blue Book value because it's a BMW, but understand that these cars were driven hard and put away wet on more than one occasion, which is never good for any car.
    3) I'm not sure about the warranty extension.
    4) During your test drive, you're not going to find anything apparent. The problems will remain hidden until everything goes haywire at once. It's the BMW way.
  • joe6pack2joe6pack2 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone give me some feedback on the SMG transmission vs the six.speed.
    In the market for a late M3 or possible an 05.

Thanks
    Joe
    Would like to hear some thoughts from M3 owners on the merits of SMG as opposed to a manual transmission.
    I like to shift, but sometimes an auto can make life easier. It seems like an SMG is the best of both worlds, but it really doesn't shift like a real 6 speed.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Having driven both, I'd go for the manual if given my druthers. BMW has long been regarded as having the some of the best manual transmissions in the business. Go for the SMG if you're either stuck in rush hour traffic in your daily driving, or planning on eeking out the best lap times on autocross days.

The automatic function of the SMG can definitely make life easier as long as you're patient with the clunky upshifts. Remember that the auto feature of this transmission is software based, and therefore based on algorithms stored by driver input. In time, you'll get used to it, but you may not always enjoy it unless you're wringing the snot out of your car.

A viable resolution may be for you to obtain a short-shift kit for your car. As it is, the Getrag Type 226 in the manual transmission M3 has precise gates and decent throws. If your arm is getting tired, then an aftermarket short shifter may be the answer you seek.
    Thanks for the info ultimate.

joe
  • cartrackercartracker Member Posts: 1
    I saw a BMW M3 spy photo in a magazine that showed a car with a covered roof. Does anyone have any hard information that a hardtop convertible feature will be included in the 2007 feature lineup? Including this feature would make a lot of sense to compete with the M-B SLK350 AMG and the SLK55 AMG.
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    I read something similar, and that there will be a 4-door variant. I agree that the hardtop would be good-for competition and me.
  • j0mammaj0mamma Member Posts: 26
    Um, LEASE IT.
  • nuveen1nuveen1 Member Posts: 1
    I have driven the car, have a history of ownership with BMW and would enjoy a new toy. I just find if difficult to justify the $68,000 that I was just quoted for the model on the showroom floor this morning. Is it common for dealerships to ask this fee for a model that is fading out of favor for a 2007 remodel, or is it just that this dealership is trying to screw me? How dnegotiable is the pricing these days?
    Is that price in Pesos? Yen?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Is that how much BMW is asking for the ragtop? You've got to be kidding me. Everyone knows that the M is legend. But the E46 M3 hoovered on the edge of absurd when compared to the high $30K- mid $40K asking price of the E36.

Admittedly, you got $50K worth of performance with the E46 model, but bringing it up to Boxster prices means you have to bring the performance up to Boxster levels. Not in terms of out and out performance, but the balance has to be there as per the philosophy of BMW M.

I'd love to say I'm going to go after one, but $68K can get me into a new ZO6.
    They had an M3 convertible on the lot with an MSRP of $63K... and, it had a whole lot of options.... I can't imagine loading it up with $5K more..

3-series convertibles don't get discounted a lot in the summer... And, the M3 doesn't get discounted a lot..ever..

I think you might get a $2K discount from MSRP... if you can shop around... If you are stuck with one dealer.....then, who knows..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• psdeverepsdevere Member Posts: 1
    hey, i have seen two different pics of what the new 2007 m3 will look like. here on edmunds, they show a black one driving in the snow. I have also seen a red one on various sites. The red one looks sweet. the black one looks disgusting. What is it really gonna look like, and what is this red one that people are showing?
    Why don't you see a V8 going into the M3? It's supposed to weigh the same as the inline 6 and produce more power...
    Are you for real? The reason why Acura, Audi and Volvo come out with AWD drive trains is because their RWD delivery and control systems can't even come close to BMW RWD technology... On the track stock M cars destroy the AWD competition.
    Someone that isn't a noob... thanks for the thoughtfull and intelligent post.
  • gadawg1gadawg1 Member Posts: 13
    Hey All,
    Check out this site ( http://www.germancarfans.com/manufacturers/bmw/ )
    for answers to a lot of the questions I've read in this forum. There's also http://www.autobild.de has a lot of stuff as well, but it helps to read German. They are making an M3 coupe AND sedan like they did back before '99.

I myself am waiting for the new 330Ci, but LOVE the renditions of the possible '07 M3...I hope the standard coupe is close. This site has a lot of info that relates to Bimmers worldwide, but it might give us a good idea of what's going on. I have some GREAT pics of possible M3 configurations, but I'm not sure how to post them in this site...tips kyfdx?
    I rode in my buddies 05 M3 with the competition package and SMG. Very sweet, but I'm not sure I can see paying the $63k that he paid for it.
    And again with the newer models, it's hard for me to justify north of $50k on a car.

Oh, and I retract my statement about the V8 not going into the new model M3. I've done more reading on it and have seen the stats and specs on hp/weight.
  • ilvebmwilvebmw Member Posts: 1
    Is the new V8 engine going to be heavy is it going to have enough power to move itself?
  • croakcroak Member Posts: 1
    The new V8 should weigh the same or LESS than the current M3's heavy inline-six. For an example, the 4.0 V8 in the last-gen E39 M5 weighs many pounds less than the 3.2 I6 in the E46 M3 (for that matter, the current-gen M5's 5.0 V10 weighs less than the 3.2 I6.

I love the BMW I6's, but those long engines tend to weigh a LOT.
  • beamermdbeamermd Member Posts: 1
    i think all the M's vehicle should come standard with a radar detector/jammer...i currently have a 330i and have a couple of tickets in my glove box... :cry:
    can't imagine what kind of trouble my right foot will get me into with the new 2007 M3... :shades:
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I am interested in the M3 Sedan. Does anyone know when it's going to be released ????

Thanx

Rocky
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The new V8 will weigh less than the current M3's engine because the V8 will have an aluminum block and the 3.2 liter I-6 has an iron block. The next M3 will likely gain weight overall though just as every version of it has.
  • elsie3elsie3 Member Posts: 1
    Rocky
    Not 100% positive, but I am pretty sure it will be coming out in 2008.
    Elsie
  • s200087s200087 Member Posts: 7
    I have an 03 Laguna Seca Convertible M3 with a removable hard top, SMG, installed radar front and rear as well as some other goodies. The car cost a pretty penny, over the 65k mark, and although it's a steap cost most people can say that once driving the car themselves day in and day out, as well as occasionally taking it to it's limits it's one fun car to drive! I have an 05 300C SRT 8 as well as an 05 STi and I have to say that the M3 is the most fun out of all to drive. It's expensive yes, but if it's your kind of car...I find it hard to be dissappointed with it.
This discussion has been closed.