Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - VII

14567810»

Comments

• scottssssscottssss Member Posts: 147
    .. Once again, At Least FORD offers options. A person can get what they want. And also we can see that FORD is trying to meet what the consumers want. with any luck 4 Wheller mag will compare the two trucks again. should be a fair comparison this time. Lets just hope the New Grill on the Taco will qualify it as a new truck. Thats Toyota's inovation for you. :)
  • scottssssscottssss Member Posts: 147
    http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/chicago/toyota/tacoma.html

An examplehow toyota doesnt offer options. in reference to the double cab "The only transmission offered will be a 4 speed automatic."

No Manual tranny on the "LEGENDARY" Offroad truck. What happened to that "OFFROAD PHILOSOPHY" ?
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Wow, I was only kidding in my last post but none of the Ranger guys are arguing so I guess my statement was true.
    Your statement ".. Once again, At Least FORD offers options. A person can get what they want".
    The 2001 Ranger 4x4 with the sacred 4.0L V6 will only come with an automatic too. I guess Ford will give you what you want as long as you don't choose any options other than the one offered.
    Excuse me, I'll stand corrected. You can only get the automatic on the 2001 Ford Ranger Edge, the new, supposedly super, off-road Ranger.
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    "Your statement ".. Once again, At Least FORD
    offers options. A person can get what they want".
    The 2001 Ranger 4x4 with the sacred 4.0L V6 will
    only come with an automatic too. I guess Ford will
    give you what you want as long as you don't choose
    any options other than the one offered"

lol.

Hey Scottsss-

I agree about the grille. Damn thats ugly. The 2001 Tacoma sure as heck won't be in my driveway.

What in the heck was Toyota thinking slapping a Pontiac grille onto the Tacoma?

As for getting "what you want",

NO truck should come without a manual t-case , skid plates, and fuel tank plates, PERIOD.
    I have to admit that the Ford Ranger Edge is a nice little truck for the money. Scottsss, I have to wonder why they're only offering and automatic on the 4x4, 4.0L model just as I wonder why Toyota is only offering an auto on the double cab.
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    I would consider that statement you highlighted a plus.

Either it is a new shifter mounted transfer case or an optional new transfer case. Remember your favorite Four wheeler article complained about the knob vs a shifter lever, well complaint listened to and in some peoples minds corrected.

Quite frankly the automatic shift on the fly is quite nice.
    "a more refined vehicle"
    "is quieter"
    "provides more power"
    "with greater fuel efficiency and a longer range"
    "it promises to extend its sales leadership title"
    "It is also more environmentally friendly"
    "will meet low emission vehicle standards"
    "achieve approximately 20-29 miles per gallon"

29 mpg
    I am not seeing that the automatic is the only transmission for the new 4.0. I see a brand new automatic reference but nothing that says it will only be an automatic.

"and a new 4.0 liter SOHC V-6 that pumps out 207 horses and a torque rating of 238 pound feet. Transmission choices consist of either a five-speed manual floor shift with overdrive or a five-speed adaptive automatic transmission that automatically adjusts to driving style"
    Roughly a 30% increase in hp and 6% increase in torque. Well, thats what you get when you get higher compression OHC engines, they percentage wise do not deliver the torque as well as the 60 degree german engineered engines.

But still a nice little increase.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    No, I'm not a Ranger owner in disguise. Spoog knows this. I lurk around this site 'cause its most interesting watching spoog and cpousnr duke it out. Once in a while I'll post if the topic is interesting.

re: hard-shifting in my '99.... I almost never used the "power" mode. The engine had so much power I didn't feel the need to use it. Again, IMHO the auto tranny was just a very hard shifting piece of machinery. BTW- I disliked this truck so much that I dumped it after 8 months.

re: manual xfer case in my '95.... No spoog, not all '95s had a totally manual xfer case. Mine was the fully loaded SR5 and it had a button to shift into 4x4 High from 4x2. As I recall, I did have to shift the lever to get into low range.

re: '95 suspension problems.... As I vaguely remember, the suspension recall was on 4x2 trucks, not 4x4s. However, the 4x4s had a most miserable suspension which surely needed to be recalled.

The '95 Tacoma was the worst Toyota product I ever owned. The '99 was an improvement, but IMHO, is STILL not up to the standards Toyota set with the '89-'94 trucks. Those were a bit underpowered, but wonderful trucks. I thought four years was enough time for Toyota to bring the Tacoma up to their previous benchmark, but it seems that a turd (no pun intended) can only be polished so much.
    Im not disagreeing that the 95 Tacoma had its share of problems. It was a new model year. But it was STILL better built than the competing Range model. Of course....that may not be saying much...........
    a 4x4 should come standard with skid plates, fuel tank plates, and a manual t-case.

And Ford didnt even offer that standard? OUCH.

NO wonder you can get them for so cheap.....
    Hey gang, how about comparing the "dots" for the 95 Tacoma and the 95 Ranger......?
    Consumer Reports highest rated vehicles of all time:

Lexus Ls 400
    Toyota Pickup
    Toyota 4runner
    Toyota Land Cruiser
    Honda Accord
    Toyota Camry
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

1999 Ranger recalls - 3
    1999 Tacoma recalls - 0

2000 Ranger recalls - 1
    2000 Tacoma recalls - 0

Total recalls from 1989-2000(Ranger)-

Total recalls from 1989-2000(Tacoma)-

------
    Why do you keep quoting Consumer Reports when they CONTINUOUSLY rate the Toyota Tacoma SIGNIFICANTLY more reliable, and durable than the Ranger with their "red dot" system?

Kind of silly.
    According to cardirect.com the Ranger Edge 4x4 will only come with an automatic transmission. You're other statements confuse me:

"a more refined vehicle"
    "is quieter"
    "provides more power"
    "with greater fuel efficiency and a longer range"
    "it promises to extend its sales leadership title"
    "It is also more environmentally friendly"
    "will meet low emission vehicle standards"
    "achieve approximately 20-29 miles per gallon"

29 mpg

Maybe you're quoting someone but:
    1) More refined than what? The old Ranger?
    2)Quieter? The Explorer forums are full of people complaining about the noise from the 4.0L which will be in the 2001 Ranger. If they're speaking about interior noise, I'd like to drive one because the 98 is not quiet inside and picks up lots of road noise.
    3)29 MPG? Not from that 4.0L V6. It has lots of power but it eats gas. The Explorer Sport gets about 18MPG on a very good day.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    For purposes of efficiency....

this topic is being frozen. Please continue these discussions in Topic 2143 Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - VIII. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
    I'm not knocking you spoog. I just figured that they'd pick you because you drive them crazy. You keep this forum from being dull so keep it up.
This discussion has been closed.