Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Tahoe Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• nflguynflguy Member Posts: 90
    I would also go to Capital One Auto Finance online and apply for a loan. They take about 5 minutes to tell you the rate you are approved at. At the very least get two offers for financing before you walk into the dealership.
  • edward23edward23 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the info.

So to get the GMS discount, I need to find someone who works for Chevy?

Also, regarding the 5K cash back. I was really looking at getting the 0% or 1.9% APR. My main question was if you think it's possible to get that APR now and still get about 8 to 10K knocked off the MSRP.
    They don't have to work for Chevy. They can work for a GM supplier as well. Just ask around your family and friends and see if anyone gets a GMS discount.

I doubt you can get 10k off msrp AND get 0%. It might be worth a shot though.

I really like doing the transaction via email. No dealership games for me! I walk into the dealer to test drive and to sign papers not negotiate. Over email they can't wear you out with delays and "Let me go ask my manager" bs.
    Yeah...I like email as well...for the same reason you stated above.

What do you think is reasonable if not 10K, if I want the APR incentive? I always like to have a number in my head before I start negotiating with the dealer, but I definitely don't want to go overboard.
  • kylechoffmankylechoffman Member Posts: 79
    I emailed almost every Chevy and GMC dealer in my county to get pricing on vehicles that matched my quals. Now that Im armed with my GMS discount (via my brother) and my Ford Partner & Chrysler Discounts (via my wife) and prices from these dealers, I am walking into a GMC dealer tomorrow to make a deal. The dude that cuts my hair is friends with the Wholesale/Fleet manager at the dealer I am visiting tomorrow and I already have prices from one of their pawns in the internet dept.

They have a dealer demo with 7k miles on it - they offered it to me at 12k under new msrp plus the 0% but I want to see if I can drag it down another 3-4K with this fleet manager. (Only things missing from this ride are ent and nav)
    I'm sure there are others around here with more experience then myself in negotiating a good price but.....

Typically when you contact dealers via email they will give you the MSRP and the "special" internet price. The internet price can be three or four thousand under MSRP.

Keep in mind that I'm getting a model that is a step up from yours for 37k before rebates(MSRP 42,500).

Contact several dealers and ask for their best price before any rebates are factored in.

Keep in mind that 0% only goes to those with awesome credit.

Checkout this site: www.carbuyingtips.com
    12k under MSRP plus 0% sounds like a decent deal.

Whats the MSRP on the car?
    I still advise against doing in person negotiations. They ALWAYS try to wear you down by making the process take longer then it should. "I will be right back...let me go talk to my director".. blah blah blah

They can negotiate these things via email or over the phone. Instead of taking 2-3 hrs to get the deal done you can wrap it up in 10 minutes.

I dealt with some dealers online who spent every third word trying to get me to come in to the dealer instead of keeping things online. They would say they have plenty of Tahoes that fit my needs. I would respond by saying, if thats the case then it should be easy for you to provide the vin # of a Tahoe that meets all of my needs (colors, features etc) and give me your price. Some didn't like this approach. The reason they don't like it is they want to sell you whatever they have on the lot. They get you to come down to the lot, drag the process out, then hop they can convince you the deals are so good its worth not getting the car/features you really wanted.

Also avoid the Extended Warranties offered by the Dealer. They also might offer you Gap insurance and it too is marked up bigtime by the dealer.

I'm currently shopping at warrantydirect.com for my warranty.
    Can someone give me more information on GMAC discounts? I actually have my home mortgage through GMAC (assuming same bank) and I wonder if I could even call my lender to help me out.

Is it the same company?

Whoops...I just realized I might be confusing GMAC with GMS...can someone fill me in here? :)
    A local dealer has a 2007 Yukon on its lot with 7100 miles. Its got every option available except rear ent package and nav. MSRP new is over 48k. You can title this as new and apply the financing incentives. It was offered to me at 35 and change but im ready to off 32 plus ttl and ask for some other stuff (extended warranty for the mileage, loaner car and the first couple services free). We shall see how that goes.
    google.com - search gmac and it will be the first link.
  • tahoeguytahoeguy Member Posts: 1
    Good Info,

I have been going round and round w/ dealers in the Tampa Bay area on Tahoe's and Yukon's and can not get anyone go below 33k on Tahoe LS's or Yukon SLE's. This is w/o the rebates as I would like to take advantage of the financing. All my communication has been email or phone and no one will budge.

Can anyone share dealer info in the Tampa or Florida area where a dealer was able to move on price on a Tahoe or Yukon? My target is 30-31K for LS or SLE.

Thanks
    Ok...sounds like it's the same company as does mortgaging.

But is there a difference between GMS and GMAC discounts?

Also, does it have to be family...or just anyone willing to give you the "number"? Like I mentioned earlier...is this something I could go and ask my Ditech lender about?
    GMS - employee or partner program discounts - IE you are an employee of GM - your family (includes siblings and a lot of other quals) can get the discount. OR you are employed by a conpany that has a partnership with GMC - you can extend it to your direct family.

Ford has a program, so does Chrysler. Im sure toyota and nissan may too.

GMAC discounts - never heard of those but i know you can use earnings from CCs
    So it doesn't apply to friends? I think nflguy mentioned that they include friends as well (if I misunderstood, my mistake)
    I think your friend can put you down as Family even when you really are not.
  • jsatjsat Member Posts: 2
    2wd Tahoe LTZ, MSRP 50445

quoted $44700 WITH 0% financing
    2wd Tahoe LT3, MSRP 44945. Quoted me internet price of 40677 + TTL.

Think I can get it lower than that? This was first offer.
    Depends. You want 0% or rebates?
    0%
    Hey...just in case anyone was wondering...I visited a dealership today.

There are two "employee related" discounts: GMS and Supplier. In this particular situation the GMS discount was 2K lower than the Supplier.

However, on almost the exact same car, another dealer's "internet" price was 1K lower than the Supplier discount and 1K higher than the GMS.

I've heard other people question the "validity" of these referral discounts. Has anyone seen any real value to either the GMS or supplier discounts....do they REALLY make a difference?
    Email the internet sales dept. and get a price. Dont tell them you have the other discounts. I would then call and ask to speak to the internet manager and tell them you have a discount (supplier or GMS or both) and ask for the price on the same vehicle you are interested. Give them a fake name if you want to for two reasons - one if the internet price is better, you can go in and try to haggle them down a bit more and the internet manager doesnt know you called. If the discounts are better, go in and work with your internet sales guy telling him you have the discounts - you have the ace in the hole since you know the prices you are dealing with.

Just a thought on how to find which is best.

I have internet prices from some clown in internet sales, I also have GMS pricing available to me. I also have employee pricing at competitors and Im going in to a dealer in which i was referred to the fleet mgr. This doesnt mean i will get a great price, but i feel having as much leverage as possible is the best strat. Also doesnt hurt that its the end of the year and sales are slow on these babies. If I purchase I will report back.
    kyle,

Thanks for the info...will definitely use that tactic.

I do want to mention that I did think dealers would be more flexible considering it's the 07 model and it's almost 08...but the one dealer I visited last night wouldn't even match a competitor's price and just let me walk out the door. He was very nice, though and simply said he just could not do it. This was the sales manager, btw.

Also, some dealers haven't even gotten back to me (via email). It just seems like they are "whatever" in terms of trying to get sales. Are these Tahoes selling like crazy or what? I remember when I was shopping for my bmw 2 years ago...I would send an email and I'd get a response sometimes right after I hit the Send button and dealers haggled like crazy with me...
    Some have been quick to respond but some are terrible at communicating. I have noticed that the internet managers tend to followup on their workers sometimes - I rip into them if the level of service has blown.

I think getting a deal depends on how many are left on the lot and also if the vehicles have sat there for a while. Dealers pay monthly fees for every month those cars sit.. I would assume the best deals will be in december.
  • jbwilkjbwilk Member Posts: 5
    When I was shopping for our Tahoe, I compared our GM Supplier Discount price (from husband's work) vs. invoice pricing from Edmunds, and really didn't see much difference.

GM Supplier Discount offered a bonus 1k at one time this summer, so that was the only advantage I really saw.

I checked the site constantly for any new "exclusive" offers.

Also, info on friends & family members...but you better hurry!!!
    Are my family members eligible for the vehicle discount?
    Yes. Through October 31, 2007, eligible GM supplier employees have the opportunity to obtain authorization numbers for two friends or family members. In addition, each time you purchase or lease a new GM vehicle under the GM Supplier Discount program, you can share your supplier discount with one friend or family member.

Msg.#185 for our Tahoe. :)
    Yeah...I'm sure the dealers get more desperate later on in the year, but then there's a lesser chance of getting the vehicle you want in terms of color/options, etc. It's a trade off and I guess it depends on how picky you. Personally, we aren't that picky, but our "must haves" are white exterior and at least LT2 trim. So do I take my chances and wait or do I take a less attractive (but still good) offer now? I mean, in all honestly, invoice + 0% is a great deal no matter how you look at it....
    jbwilk,

The dealer I visited last night...his Supplier discount price was higher than another dealer's internet price, by nearly 1K on nearly the exact same vehicle down to color and options/trim. The MSRP on both vehicles differed by less than 500 bucks.
    Got a call back from the dealer I visited. Their original offer was 41500 for a 2WD Tahoe LT3 MSRP of 44995. They are now offering 39,900. I'm thinking of trying to get them down to 39000 even and then it's a done deal. But if they don't budge...does 39.9K sound like a good deal?

This is including the 1.9/72 incentive, btw.

EDIT: They called back and said they can't budge on 39.9...they are already losing money, etc. etc. Funny...I thought they were already losing money at 41.5K...yet they drop it almost 2K. I dunno...sounds like a good deal already. I guess I'll call around and see if anyone can beat 39.9K.
    Six year loans? Yikes
    Nothing wrong with 6 year loans at 1.9%. That's only a little over 2K in interest over the entire term. It drops the monthly over 80 dollars. I'm buying this vehicle with the intention of it lasting me a very long time. If I wasn't going to keep it for a while, i would have just gotten another lease.

Also, with the longer term, you always have the option later on to kick in a little more each month and pay it off sooner...though at 1.9...I don't see why you would want to.

btw, just wanted to add that it's not a bad deal as long as you know what you're getting into and that you better be prepared to keep the vehicle for a long time because you will be upside down for nearly the duration of the term.
  • jbwilkjbwilk Member Posts: 5
    We also did 6yrs on our Tahoe, with the same concept, kick in more on the payment, in our case when the other car is paid off in a few years. It definately kept the payment down, and we too hope to own it a long time.

We bought used, so we used our credit union and got a decent rate.

Msg. #185 For our Tahoe. :)
  • zoesamzoesam Member Posts: 33
    Just a note on fake names - keep in mind that dealerships all have caller ID & they grab your # the second you call.
    My understanding from books I've read on car buying is that they start a digital file on you the second you have first contact with them. So the fake name thing may make them lose respect (like they had any to begin with lol) for you.
    Every dealer I've called, when they ask me for my phone #, I ask if they already have it & they admit they do.

Unfortunately, like Edward23, I experienced a lot of dealers letting me walk. Tahoes are in short supply here, the 08's haven't hit the lots in any significant numbers & the one I wanted had been sitting on their lot for 577 days. Didn't matter. They were still unwilling to negotiate as much as I expected.

Question, re; the supplier & GM discount? Do you have to tell the dealer. Back in 92 we bought a Ford (that we still have) & had a vendor discount. The way it worked was that we never had to say a word to the dealer. We were free to negotiate our best deal & after the purchase, we sent our paperwork into Ford & got a $2K rebate sent directly to us. The dealer & sales rep never knew. Are there any supplier/vendor rebates like that? I would think
    that would be far more advantageous then having to tell the dealer you have a discount.
  • zoesamzoesam Member Posts: 33
    Do you have a Tahoe brochure? If not, go to a dealer & grab yourself a brochure, there's a nice ez to read spreadsheet near the back with every model & every option & whether it's standard, optional or n/a. It's broken down into categories of options.

It's really a piece of cake once you have the spreadsheet. I imagine the same thing is printable from Chevy's website.

According to brochure, sunroof is n/a on the LS & is Optional on ALL other models.
  • sdoo25sdoo25 Member Posts: 25
    Can anyone share dealer info in the Tampa or Florida area where a dealer was able to move on price on a Tahoe or Yukon? My target is 30-31K for LS or SLE.

I know this relates to a Suburban but I've also seen the same deals on the Tahoe. We previosly had an early build 2007 Tahoe and just recently traded into a 2007 Suburban. We saw an ad for Bill Heard Chevy for up to $14k off a Suburban. I wasn't convinced that we could get that price but my wife wanted to try to she went out to the dealership to negotiate. A few hours later we were offered $9k off plus the special financing rates or $14k off w/other financing. She just stuck to her guns and outwaited them. This took place on Sunday, Sept 30th, so don't know if being the end of the month helped us out or not. We got a LTZ w/every option. It was built in Dec 2006 so there may have been some extra money to give to us due to its age, although from reading on here that aged bonus seems to have expired before we bought. Hope this helps.

Tom
  • zbillzzbillz Member Posts: 1
    Is it reasonable to expect to get a 2007 Tahoe MSRP around 49,000 for the stated invoice cost or lower at websites like Edmunds.com and then another 5,000 off GM incentives and rebate? Thanks
    I would say yes. I just purchased an LT3 tahoe...44945 MSRP, got it down to 39300 (which is about 1K below Edmunds invoice) including the APR incentive. But I could have gotten the 5000 discount instead which would have dropped it down to 34300.
  • gannon1gannon1 Member Posts: 4
    2007 LT1 4x4 with MSRP's between $40-$42K for $14K under MSRP? We also have $1000 GM points, could we get to the $14K under w/o and then tell them? Dealer willing to locate does this hurt our chances? Not looking for 0% but will be taking rebates instead. Likely not going to purchase until early Nov.
    14K? Very doubtful, IMO. I had to pull teeth to get 700 below invoice on my LT3 MSRP 45K. I got it for 39300 and that was, by far, the best deal I was offered in my county. I took the 0%, but if I had taken the 5K instead, it would have been about 10500K off MSRP. Asking for an additional 3.5K is a LOT. Especially when it seems like the 07s are selling well (according to a few dealers I spoke to) and the incentives are fairly new. I would wait until end of year if you want a deal like that.
    Drove home in my new 2007 Tahoe LT3 today

Silver Birch with Black leather interior

2nd row captains chairs

Both driver and passenger have power and heated seats

Power Sunroof

Premium 20" wheels- Polished aluminum

Bose sound system/ XM Radio/6 cd changer

rear parking assist

remote start

Several other features I can't think of right now.

The vehicle has 14 miles on it

MSRP $44,000

My price after GMS Discount plus $8,000 in rebates and dealer cash= $31,847

Total out the door price $33,327.76

I put down $18,300

I'm financing the balance (just under 15k) at 7.45% for 60 months.

I will probably try to refinance at better rate down the road.
    When you say $8000 in rebates, what is figured in there? I know of an available $5500 in rebates but that is all. Was the rest from your GM card savings? Looking to purchase in the next month and trying to maximize our savings.
    I received 5,000 in rebates as are advertised.

I also received $3,000 in Dealer Bonus Certificates

These are certificates dealers get from GM for having inventory on the lots.

They don't have to give you the DBC and some will even deny knowing about them. There are Dealer General Managers who don't tell their sales people about them so they can just pocket it all (especially at smaller dealerships where they don't sell as many cars).
    I don't have a GM card.
    What part of the country did you purchase in? We are in NC and aren't sure if a similar deal would be possible. We did know about the DBC but did not realize you could get as much as $3000 off. We also have the military discount and $1000 GM card earnings. Hoping to get about $14000 off of MSRP. Seems possible based on your deal?
    I live in North Texas. Though I took a flight to a dealership located 5 hours away in Southern Texas (35 minute flight) to get this deal.

Even with the deal I got, the dealer made something like $3,200 profit becuase of holdback and other incentives they get from GM.
    12.5k off MSRP is probably more realistic
  • sacurtis1sacurtis1 Member Posts: 2
    What dealership in Texas? I live in Dallas area sounds like you did your homework may want to check their inventory.
    Try Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine. One warning though. There are very few LT3 models left on the lots. I'm not sure if they have any left. If you want a certain color then it gets even tougher.
  • jsatjsat Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know of a good dealer in California (northern or southern) that can come closer to these numbers? Or are Tahoes selling so fast here that dealers don't have to? I've been trying to get 7k off MSRP with 0% financing, but the best I've come across is $5700, which I just might take. Also, any ideas if the 0% will really end tomorrow? Don't think I can make it to the dealer tonight to close this deal and taking kids trick or treating tomorrow.
    Anyone else notice wind noise by the driver side window when going 55+
  • hardo2727hardo2727 Member Posts: 1
    2007 Tahoe LT3
    MSRP $49,500
    Got down to $43,500 OTD with 1.9%, 6% sales tax

I wanted $41,500 OTD. Dealer said he was giving me dealer certificates and giving up commissions to get his price. I walked.

What do you think?