Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Future Models

Comments

• hondaruhondaru Member Posts: 11
    These aren't EPA numbers, but the numbers come from this site, about what they call in Europe a Golf [can't recall the name]: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=120684
    My cousin's Jetta Diesel gets the same mileage you predicted, so I'd be surprised if this next iteration fails to surpass that. My point was that the lighter and presumably more aerodynamic Accord could be expected to at least match the Jetta. Honda, bring it on!
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Make that the much longer (12 inches), heavier (likely weight gain with new 2008 model)Accord with a larger diesel motor (>=2.2 versus 2.0). That is why I expect no better mpg from the Accord diesel than the Jetta diesel. A Civic version may be a different story.

Although the new Volkswagen diesel is more efficient, it is also larger and far more powerful than the old 1.9 so I think any small improvement in mpg will be a good feat. I hope with the new version of the Honda diesel we will see similar fuel efficiency gains over their present 2.2.

Those claims by Volkswagen remind of the claims by Nissan that the Versa would get 38 mpg combined. In the end it was really 33.

Hey, if it was 60/40 for the 2008 EPA numbers that would blow away the Prius 45/48 for 2008. There would be a long line at the VW dealers if it turns out to be the case especially for drivers that do a lot of highway miles.
  • rpacrpac Member Posts: 83
    OK So I'm an older guy with an extremely bad back. In the past 7 years or so, I have owned 2 V6 Accords. I loved both of them, but alas I had to letthem go and replaced them with the Lexus RX350. Yes, more expensive, but my back cannot in any way shape or form take the 'hard' ride in the Accord. If only they would change it a little. Maybe like the Camry which I've driven at times. Any of you good people out there see any answer to 'my'problem.
    Yes the Lexus is a luxurious SUV, but as far as driving is concerned, and getting your monies worth, their is nothing like an Accord. So what do I do? :confuse:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Well, the ride that you feel is "hard" in the Accord is the reason it handles so much better than vehicles like the soft Camry, so I really don't know what to tell ya!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I think it's a combination of the firm ride, and the firm seats. Have you tried an Acura TL? It may at least have softer seats.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Do what I did. Got a set of Goodyear Assurance Comfort treads. They ride much "easier" than the oem Michelins.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Careful, the Camry SE can keep pace with Accords, from everything I've driven and the test results I've seen...may lack just a smidge in steering feel, but definitely on point.

~alpha
    A class-leading spec sheet does not a sporty sedan make.

I have read that the SE Camry is a much closer competitor to the Accord than it used to be. The LE/XLE models are the ones that make most of the sales though, so the majority of Camrys (Camries?) are worse handlers and better "riders" than the Accord.

I haven't driven a 2007 Camry (they weren't out when I was car shopping, just the 2006 were), only a 2006 LE model. It didn't take long to figure out that I'd be asleep at the wheel before I got home from the dealer if I bought that car. Great interstate cruiser, no doubt, but it was NO FUN. I'm hoping the reviews are true, and the new SE is a real sport-edition Camry.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I drove a 2007 Camry LE and did not think it was that bad. To be honest the Accord is closer to the Camry than to my Integra or cars I had driven recently like the Focus and Mazda3.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    hmmm...given the only every so slight damper rates and spring stiffness, i seriously doubt its THAT much better. probably the 17 inch wheels more than anything.

Double wishbone=>machpherson struts.

and the accord comes with it standard. no se trim required. ;)
    and you know what? its not biggie. ANYONE complaining of gettin 2mpg off is silly.
    true, but under the new guidelines, they are probably going to be closer to real world driving than ever before.
    It is HEAVILY reliant on driving style, so we really can't do an apples-to-apples comparison of driver A's car vs driver B's. That's why the EPA testing is helpful, it gives a level playing field.
    you shouldn't be, because most sources that talk about reliability of the mkV jettas/rabbits have shown it to be a major imporvment. (unless of course you are citing what has been written about mkiV and earlier.)

the 1.9 tdi 2005 jetta under the 2008 estimates are as follows:

30/38 for the auto
    and 32/41

there are many who routinely surpass these numbers with ease; and while the 2.0's numbers seem optimistic, i figure they would at least get around this.

if the new accord does come with the 2.2 diesel, there should be no reason for it not get similar numbers and AT LEAST 28mpg in the city. 35 mpg on the highway should be attainable too.
    def. true. I'm on the same page as you grad. Thats why those getting upset over 2mpg discrepencies are just silly to me. What do you average in your accord again? I know you get over old epa right?
    Here's the rundown for me, in both cars

1996 Accord LX 4-cylinder, 4-sp Auto, 173,000 miles
    EPA 23/31

Average in commute (5 miles of 40 MPH with 9 traffic lights, 10 miles of interstate at 70-75 MPH) of about 27-28MPG. Filled up today and was over 28 MPG. I average just UNDER 28 MPG in that car, but since gas has been so high, I've reduced my interstate cruising speed.

2006 Accord EX 4-cylinder, 5-sp Auto, 20,700 miles
    EPA 24/34

Average in commute (same as commute listed previously) is between 29 and 30 MPG, with MUCH higher numbers when I go strictly highway. If I limit myself to staying under 75 MPH, I get 37-41 MPG depending on conditions, load, and A/C. The longest trip I took was over 1,500 miles to Oklahoma City (From Birmingham, AL). For the trip, we got 35.43 MPG. Three people, constant A/C usage, and fluctuating speeds from 75-80 MPH, with some traffic in Memphis. I'm convinced ANYONE who doesn't drive like a fool will get at least EPA highway figures. The tall fifth gear is really helpful in the automatic particularly.

On the highway in my 1996, at 75 MPH, I have averaged 30 MPG (3,000 RPM). At that same speed, my '06 is running at 2,500 RPM, a substantial amount lower.

I don't take trips in the old car anymore. There's really no point when the newer one is more comfy, roomy, powerful, and MUCH MUCH better on fuel.
    awesome numbers. Its nice to see someone who can give real world driving experience and get decent numbers. (and not plauge the civic forum with ridiculous numbers!)

ok we better stop before we get kicked to a mpg forum! ;)
    28/35 mpg for the diesel would be pretty low even for the new numbers. I would expect the diesel Accord to get 50 mpg driven at reasonable speeds on the highway.
    It can't get 50mpg 'cause it's not a 2.2 and it's an auto. :) Actually, most people won't get 50. Maybe you and Grad.
    What. I want a 2.2 with the stick. Diesel won't do me much good if it does not get much better mpg than the gasser. :cry:

Seriously bad news if this is true.

If I wanted an automatic diesel I could have bought a Passat - and in the much more practical wagon body.

Dream car - Accord diesel stick wagon. Space of an SUV, efficiency of a hybrid, and drives like an Accord.
    I think Honda heard about you coasting feats and decided to offer you only an automatic.
  • stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    OK So I'm an older guy with an extremely bad back. In the past 7 years or so, I have owned 2 V6 Accords. I loved both of them, but alas I had to let them go and replaced them with the Lexus RX350. Yes, more expensive, but my back cannot in any way shape or form take the 'hard' ride in the Accord. If only they would change it a little. Maybe like the Camry which I've driven at times. Any of you good people out there see any answer to 'my'problem.
    Yes the Lexus is a luxurious SUV, but as far as driving is concerned, and getting your monies worth, their is nothing like an Accord. So what do I do?

You can wait for a BMW diesel that's affordable or hope Lexus makes one or you can buy a custom drivers seat for your Accord. Maybe a Recaro and you can always put softer springs in the car which will give it a more pliable ride but in the end you have to buy a car that really is comfortable to drive. It doesn't make much sense to buy a car you hate to drive to save on fuel. I know as I also have back problems and chronic sciatica. But I'm only driving about 6,000 miles a year right now. I do not like gassers but when I get back to the US about June-August 2008, I will need a car within a week of getting there. So if the Accord diesel isn't available then whatever is a diesel will be high on my list. My Toyota Hi-Lux diesel 4 door pickup truck easily gets 45 mpg on the highway.
  • wardcowardco Member Posts: 27
    I've got a bad back also and the Acura TL is murder. The Accprd V6 is light years better on my back.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Many of us wonder why Honda refuses to address 2 major consumer complaints: road noise & road shock.

This doesn't mean a softer, floatier ride...just better isolation of the forces to the subframe i.e. rubber mounts.

Honda dramatically improved the road shock in the '05+ Odyssey by adding the rubber isolation subframe mounts. However, the road noise is still excessive.

I am hoping the '08 Accord has more sound insulation & less road shock transfer noise into the cabin.
    This doesn't mean a softer, floatier ride...just better isolation of the forces to the subframe i.e. rubber mounts.

Road shock? The Accord isn't even the firmest midsize sedan out there. If you want something even less sporty, maybe look at Sonata, or Camry. PLEASE Honda, don't take away my road feel and firm suspension. I enjoy the driving experience!

I am only 19, so I don't remember cars before the 1990s really, but my '06 is so much quieter than my 1996 Accord, that there is no way I'd need it any quieter, if it was, then I would just be too isolated from the driving experience.

Seriously (and not sarcastically), it sounds like a Camry is a perfect fit for you. Quiet, smooth, not very involving, but fast.
    Posted this once boys, don't waste my time! The GACTs smoothed and quieted the ride on my 02 V6 EXL substantially My V6 had a harsh ride I attribute to stiffer suspension settings than the 4. These cured my discomfort. I do not consider them great handling tires but they are very smooth and quiet. Don't ax me again! :)
    "I think Honda heard about you coasting feats and decided to offer you only an automatic. " :sick:

If true they will lose 3 sales just from my family. Others will make a diesel though. Altima for one, and VW will have a slew of them. Less concerned about VW reliability with a diesel.

Would have really loved the Accord though - especially with the 2.2. Of course this is the land of too much is never enough, so what is considered excellent in Europe would be panned here - mostly by people who have never driven one. :( Silly of me to think 250 ft/lbs of torque was enough. ;)
    Yes,but you will be embarrassed when the VW body falls off the drive train!
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Have you seen for a fact that there will be no manual transmission on the diesel? I would be another buyer who will look elsewhere if that is true. Does Honda not realize a person who wants a diesel car would also tend to be a person more likely to want a manual?
    I think it's possible they may offer a manual also for the reason you suggest. If they do, we can see if Dudley can coast 55 mpg out of it.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Though you will see many loud and vocal posters in many forums ranting about how badly they want manual transmissions, the fact is there is little demand.
    It has been proven time and again and automakers reduce production of manual transmissions over time in response.
    I think Honda, BMW and maybe Mazda probably attract more manual transmission buyers than Toyota, Mercedes or Ford, but the numbers are low and resale is difficult except for sports cars/roadsters.

I wonder if the same is true for diesels? I keep seeing people posting how they want diesels in this car and that car, but I wonder if they will really sell.
    Automakers are dragging their feet with release of diesels. I thought many manufacturers would have new diesel cars ready to be released as soon as the low sulfur diesel became available, but it isn't happening despite many years advance notice that the new, cleaner fuel was coming to the US.
    Even VW that had previous mass market diesels in all 50 states before the emissions standards become too strict, has nothing 50 state compliant available now or in the very near future.
    The automakers have to wait to be sure there is demand prior to designing and building a car for sale in the U.S. Then the design to production pipeline is 4-5 years. Witness the larger and not particulary fuel efficient cars and giant trucks just now hitting the market.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    They have had many years to have diesels ready by now especially those automakers that already produce them and are not starting from scratch with a blank slate designing these engines (most especially VW).
    People still buy cars beyond what they need. They are not blinking at $3 a gallon gas since is still cheap compared to Europe. The extra 4-5 or more mpg or so between an Accord V6 and and 4 cylinder is often dismissed as "only a few extra dollars a month," so I don't think diesels will catch on at these fuel prices.
    When the US has $6 or $7 per gallon gas is when the US will flock to diesels and much smaller cars. Maybe even mass transit.
    Disagree. Do the math on 15,000 miles per year and there is a real savings at $3. When the mideast spins off kilter do the math on $4 and $5. I think these diesels will sell like hotcakes. They were never previously popular because gas was cheap and the engines were not very sophisticated.
    :blush:

man i hate being a honda AND vw guy.
    it probably could, but it wont be something that the epa will claim. i was just thinking about what the actual sticker would say. mabye it would be a bit higher.
    It can't get 50mpg 'cause it's not a 2.2 and it's an auto

what are you saying? that because its an auto it wont achieve high mileage, or as high as a manual could? Don't most automatics today get better mpg than their manual transmissioned bretheren?

the fact that its a 2.2 and not a 1.9 or 2.0 like in vw is valid, but i dunno about the auto tranny part of it.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    but i dunno about the auto tranny part of it.

Even though I believe they are currently rated the same, the Accord's 5th gear in the automatic revs at lower rpms than the manual (to allow for the fear that us stick people who use cruise control might make the engine lug). So for strictly highway mileage, the auto can do the same or better than the stick. City mileage is another story... the stick wins there.
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Given that the small car market is now the fastest growing segment of the auto business it's pretty clear that gas prices are making a big difference to people.

The gap in price between here and Europe makes no differnce at all on the decisions buyers make. The impact they perceive in their pockets as costs go up makes the difference. It's all relative, gas is relatively 33% more expensive than 2 years ago, that's a huge gap regardless of cost elsewhere.

Being able to get compact car mileage with family sedan size will be a great selling point.
    Actually, I was talking about everyday driving like most of us do. Dudley gets 35 in his regular driving. It seems from all the posts that, in the real world, the manuals get slightly better mpg. Better ability to coast etc. It could also be that the manual drivers posting on this site might be better drivers and more in tune w/ their drivetrain than the automatic drivers. Just my .02.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Some drivers may choose to coast. But in my state, as probably in most states, coasting out of gear is against the law. Doing so precludes your ability to instantaneously accelerate to avoid a potential accident.
    Going over the speed limit is also against the law (I am sure nobody here does that ;) ), so is driving barefoot, or in sandals (depending on state), and in PA it is (or was recently) against the law to drive at night unless you fired a flare every 5 miles.

BTW a sudden need to accelerate to get out of trouble is required very rarely. On top of that I (and the vast majority of MT drivers) can shift in the gear I want as fast as an automatic can decide what gear it needs and then downshift (lots of cars hesitate badly here - the Camry comes to mind) Maybe automatics should be illegal to drive because of the hesitation. ;)

Braking and/or turning is what almost always gets you out of trouble. Coasting can also be done in gear. The whole point is not to give the car gas if you are approaching a red light or stop sign. A car will glide quite well in top gear - it does not have to be in neutral.

The MT has the advantage of letting you chose the gear as it will not use engine braking to slow you down unless you want it to. An MT also is not fighting a torque converter at idle, and uses less gas there.

Anyway - I hope Honda continues to offer the MT. Freedom of choice is a nice thing to have. :)
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    IME manuals are bought by folks who would be doing less stop and go driving, so all else being equal I'd expect users to report getting better mileage. As we research replacement vehicles, wifey will get the manual because her drive is primarily freeway with moderate traffic volumes, but I'll get an automatic because of my routine drives into Detroit with heavy freeway (stop and go) traffic and occasional arthritic bouts.

I hope Honda puts more "distance" between Civic and Accord. The initial cost (overlap of various versions exist), fuel economy (real world, end of the month pocketbook), and interior space (with Accord's overstuffed seating) are nearly the same. Perhaps a lighter hatchback version of the Fit would answer this need as I really don't want to see Accord get bigger.

My dream car would be a Fit sized car (tall, narrow for elder access and ease of parking) that's built to Accord level of solidity (is that a word?) with a bigger engine (like the Civic's 1.8L) that still gets good fuel economy.

On a side note, I really hope Honda improves the looks of the Accord. To me, except for the recent mid-model redesign, they've gotten uglier with each new generation since the early 80s. Even if I never own another at least I don't have to look at them.
    I disagree with "distance" for seating. The Accord has 103 cubic ft. to 90 for the Civic. That is a huge difference.
    maybe on paper, but sitting down in both of them back to back is not a life changing experience.

the civic now is as big (or at least almost) as the prev. gen accord.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Contrary to popular belief, Civic hasn't really grown much (has become taller, but length and width have been under control). It is still about 3 inch shorter than Accord from 20 years ago. The biggest change that 2006 redesign brought was a long wheelbase (comparable to 1998 Accord) but that is a benefit afforded by cab-forward design, resulting in shorter overhangs.

1994-1997 Accords had an interior volume of 94 cu ft (qualifies for compact), which grew to 103 cu ft with MY1998 (qualifies for midsize). Civic is about 91 cu ft right now (probably was about 87-88 cu ft in the 1980s). 2003 Accord stayed at 103 cu ft.
    Um, for me (6'4", 190), sitting in them back to back makes for a very obvious difference. My parents surprised me with a car as a reward for getting a scholarship to UAB (I'd eyed the Civic Coupe in blue since they came out in late '05), they brought home an Accord. Turns out it was a good thing they did. The Civic's lack of headroom leaves me a little claustrophobic, and sitting in the back seat of their 2007 Civic EX Sedan leaves me crouched over with my knees splayed, and this is sitting behind my 5'5" mom.

It was kind of funny; when I lived with them, and we went out as a family, we took my car (the '06 Accord) because the "family" car, the Civic, was too small for me to ride in back. I was happy to oblige my car though, it meant I got to drive my baby!
  • sploarsploar Member Posts: 4
    I know that when MotorWeek did it's testing of the Civics the Si actually got better mileage than the EX in every day driving. I just traded my leased Civic in on a 07 Accord LX Coupe MT and I bet it gets better mileage than my 04 Civic. I never got better than 30mpg in the Civic in every day driving. Seemed to me the engine was always revving pretty high in all situations, although it could have been the way I drove it. BTW, my monthly lease payment on the Accord is $8 more than the 04 Civic was. It's $241 a month, nothing down, $12000 residual. I couldn't pass it up!
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Revving high doesn’t necessarily translate to worse fuel economy, considering that Civic has still got a considerably smaller engine. When I had a Civic (EX, MY2000, AT), it got me 31-32 mpg in mixed driving. At the time it was rated 28-35. Under same conditions, 1998 Accord (EX, MY1998, AT) got me 25-26 mpg.
    i know its more room grad, but for someone like me, it wasnt a deal breaker.

its not my fault you are so damn big grad! ;)
This discussion has been closed.