Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Suburban

Comments

• 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    i am sort of developing the same problem with my 88 suburban. cant seem to figure out whats wrong with it.
    it might just be the front end alignment, or a tie rod is worn and the brake pressure pulls the wheel slightly.
    ~tom
  • thur5d4yf4nthur5d4yf4n Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys I have a 1998 Suburban and I was going to replace my front door speakers but ran into a problem, I couldn't seem to figure out how to get the door panel off revealing the factory speakers. All replys are appreciated!!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Are you prying the trim panel off? They have clips behind the trim panel. There are 4 down across the bottom, either 3 or 4 up the front side edge, two black screws in the middle of the door (part of the inside door where you grab it to close), take out the courtesy lamp, carefully pry out the trim panel.

I have a 97, but I think it's the same for a 98
  • bretdqbretdq Member Posts: 1
    I used to own a 99 Suburban and looking for another. I will be pulling a trailer with weights 6,000 to 9,000lbs. I have found an 04 2500 w/8.1 but the unknown fuel mileage is holding me back I have also looked at the 1500 Z71 02-04 models. Any suggestions?
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    The 2500 model is the 3/4 ton Suburban with the big engine, right? If you were used to a 350 ci (5.7) engine that was probably in your '99 you won't be happy with the 5.3 standard V-8. The 5.3 runs fine and makes more horsepower but just doesn't have the balls that the older 350 ci (5.7) engines or the older 454 V-8s have when it comes to towing. As far as economy goes, none of them are going to get great gas mileage if you are towing. Just bite the bullet and get a Suburban 2500 model with the bigger engine.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    A 1500 would be overlimit towing 9000lbs. You could do it on the rare occasion, but it won't be much fun.
    I tow a ~6500 lb boat with my 03 1500, 5.3L. So here's my 2 cents, it tows great on flats and mild to moderate inclines, steep grades really slow you down. Overall I am happy with its towing performance, and consider it a great overall package (best economy/ towing performance).
    I previously had a 96 2500 Suburban with 7.4L. Both had 3.73 gears. The only time I miss the 7.4L is on steep, long grades. I get about 10-11 MPG towing with the 03, depending on speed, I got 7-8 MPG with the 96.
    That said I wouldn't want to tow anything over 7000 lbs on a regular basis with a 1500 model.

If you are relly going to tow 9000 lbs, I'd get the 2500 with the 8.1L, you'll get 11-12 mpg empty, and 8 or so towing. Not a huge loss over the 13-16 empty in the 5.3L.
  • drlrosevilledrlroseville Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the exact same problem with my '01 Tahoe. What solution did you find?

Thanks,

David :surprise:
  • msidemanmsideman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 burb 3/4 ton, with the 6.0 and 373 rear end.
    I just sold a 7,000lb travel trailor and it pulled it with a hitch. That being said I just purchaced a 2004 Cardinal 31 bh Travel Trailor that will weigh in at9,000lb. Will probly go to a 4.10 rear end. If i were buying today I would look for a 8.1 for serious towing, but the 6.0 is pretty good. Towing with the 3/4 ton is much much better than the half ton, the supension is awesome. Enjoy
  • jnevinsjnevins Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 with 246,000 and just now developed a transmission problem. It just happen yesterday, when I left for work the truck would do 50 mph however the rpm was 3k. I'll drain & flush the transmission this weekend & change the filter and inspect the TDV cable.
  • macalanmavmacalanmav Member Posts: 1
    I have this ticking sound when I am going slow, it sounds like its in the front by the tires. I know that it needs brakes, but not sure what this sound is. I don't want to get robbed when I take it in. It sounds like metal ticking...if that helps any. When I go faster I don't hear it any more. Can anyone help me out on this? Thanks Guys!
  • paulctpaulct Member Posts: 16
    I just picked up a 2007 Suburban LTZ and noticed that the windshield is distorted. There are slight waves and variations horizontally across that windshield. Images tend to grow and shrink as you move your line of vision slightly up and down. It doesn't matter if you are the driver or passenger. I'm aware of windshield problems in GM vehicles back in the 90's but I thought GM had it fixed. Does anyone have the same experience? Thanks.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    We had the windshield on our '07 Yukon Denali replaced under warranty for the same reason. The distortion was right at eye level but only on the driver's side. Our salesman was playing stupid, but the service manager sided with us.
  • spence57spence57 Member Posts: 26
    I have an 03 suburban. I've left other messages but had some more "experience". My sub. sometimes won't coldstart with less than 1/2 tank of gas but this may be a seperate problem.
    For over a year now I've had a very intermittent stalling problem. It actually doesn't stall but usually won't run over 500 rpm. It won't get better until I shut down and wait 15 min. or so. I now know to stop and bang on the bottom of the tank and it will always go fine. Yesterday I had the problem and didn't shut down, just banged on the tank. It wouldn't do better than a rough idle even trying that twice. I had to actually shut off the engine. My 75 year old mechanic Dad told me he's had a similar problem with his truck and thinks that the pump sucks debris onto the screen in the tank. When the engine is off, the debris drops off and drops off faster if one shakes the tank by banging it.
    Just changing the pump wouldn't help, you would have to totally clean out the tank. I think I accidentally put dirt into mine when I transferred fuel from my boat into it.
    spence57 said: My 75 year old mechanic Dad told me he's had a similar problem with his truck and thinks that the pump sucks debris onto the screen in the tank. When the engine is off, the debris drops off and drops off faster if one shakes the tank by banging it.
    Just changing the pump wouldn't help, you would have to totally clean out the tank.
    I had this happen years ago on a '68 Dodge Charger. I got a tank full of bad gas with water in it. I would be rolling down the road and the engine would quit. After 15 or 20 minutes it would start again and run for perhaps 30 minutes then stop again. The water in the tank turns into a jelly-like glob and that mess would get sucked into the filter and stop the good gas from entering. The solution was to take the gas tank off the car and totally clean and rinse it out. Also you may have to clean out the lines to your fuel injection system. I did that, no more problem.
  • j2reyj2rey Member Posts: 2
    Have you had an answer to your problem? I have a 97 Suburban where you can hear the heater/ac fan run (through all speed setting) but very little air comes out any place (defrost, vent, or floor). Any thoughts?
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    The guy at Kwik Kar told my wife that the freeze plug is cracked and leaking coolant. I find this unlikely given that we live in Texas, and the car (2005 Yukon XL, 5.3) has seen maybe 10 days below freezing its entire life. He said there was coolant leaking and topped it off. I haven't noticed any fluids in the garage, but I must admit that I haven't checked under the hood in quite some time. Guess I'll watch it closely for the next few weeks. My questions to the forum:
    1) Is this a common issue? (I searched and found no other posts containing "freeze plug")
    2) Where is it? I'd like to inspect it for myself, although I'm not the most mechanically inclined person I know. What does it look like? Rubber, plastic, or metal?
    3) Is this expensive to replace? Or difficult to do on my own?
    5) Recommend using some sort of stop leak fluid?

Thanks for any responses!

Andrew
    Ft. Worth, TX
    The guy at Kwik Kar told my wife that the freeze plug is cracked and leaking coolant
    If the freeze plug is leaking you should find coolant on the vehicle frame and/or engine block...and there should be some coolant on the garage floor. This should be a pretty easy replacement for a qualified mechanic.
  • jbran95jbran95 Member Posts: 10
    my 2001 8.1L Suburban goes into safe mode (reduced engine power)quite often while driving. The code it gives is manufacturer control fuel air metering. I have replaced the following sensors: MAF, TPS,Crank angle sensor,Cam angle sensor, every possible filter, and the whole throttle body. When I replace the throttle body it runs good for a few months, then it starts all over again. It does this at any given time, cold, warm, @ acceleration, steady speed,sometimes even at idle. Anyone ever experience anything like this?
  • jbran95jbran95 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 8.1L with a clanking noise in the front end (I believe). It sounds like a suspension problem but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have some Ideas?
  • stk_adamstk_adam Member Posts: 5
    I was driving last night and it slipped out of gear. so i pulled over and went to put it in park and it made a clicking noise so i turned it off in neutral put it in park and started it up again and no gear worked so i got it flat beded home and put it in 4 hi and it worked put it back in 2 hi and now it works. what could be the problem?
    4wd transfer case problem
    thanks. so i should just change it out?
    You need to figure out exactly what is wrong with it, and what it costs to fix it. Swapping out might actually cost you more. Call a reputable transmission shop, tell them your exact symptoms as they occurred, and see what they suggest. Based on the symptoms, they can probably give you a range to fix it....but wouldn't be able to give you exact until they get into it.

If the initial estimate they give you is higher than what you think you can get a 'good' replacement for....then you might want to go the replacement route (but you may be getting some other problem as well).
    thanks for all the help
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    FYI, still no coolant leaking as of yesterday. Reservoir is full and no drips on the garage floor. Guess I'll just let it go.
    i found out it is the encoder motor sensor. is there any books to tell me how to replace it?

thanks adam
  • burblover84burblover84 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying this 86 C2500 that's been sitting at this litle dealer for some time now. I know when buying an older vehicle there are always things to look out for. But I was wondering if anyone had any insight for certain problem areas with this year/model. My dad had an 85 GMC K1500 when we were growing up and I know it was a really good truck. So I was wondering what people out there thought.
    i figured it out
  • maad4maad4 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 03 Tahoe, my current 01 Suburban and my buddy had the same problem with his 05 SS Silverado. If you can feel it in the steering wheel more than you can actually heat it it is most likely going to be the Steering Itermediate Shaft. It is very annyoing. It was covered under warranty on th 03 Tahoe and the Siverado but I had to cough up $250 bucks for my Suburban. There is no real danger in driving it that I have heard of but DAMN IT GETS ON YOUR NERVES.
  • hardwaregirlhardwaregirl Member Posts: 5
    I have an '03 Suburban that is due for a transmission flush. Does anyone know what many quarts of trans fluid I will need?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to talk with consumers who just purchased a new large SUV. Please send the make and model of your vehicle along with your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 8, 2007.
  • gmc10gmc10 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 94 suburban with original runningboards that have front and rear fender flares built in. the passenger side is damaged and i am having a hard time finding a replacement. can anyone help me. i really like the style of the originals and would like to replace the damaged part. it is made of fiberslass. thanks
  • georgeousgeorgeous Member Posts: 2
    1994 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 4wd - When I had the transmission replaced, I didn't check if my 4wd was working. When I tried my 4wd it seemed like the transfer case was engaging but my front hubs were not locking. I found a wire by my transmission that is black just hanging. I have no idea where it goes. I traced the wire back to the front axle and an actuator for the front hubs. Does anyone know where this wire connects at the transmission or transfer case? or above them? so I can get my 4wd working again.
  • gracyegracye Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 1994 suburban, I am happy to have this forum to connect with other suburban owners. I am looking to do some upgrades. As this will be my project car. Any suggestions for where to start????
    I'd wait for 3 months on putting upgrade money into it, until you had enough time to see how the vehicle is running. You need to know that it is running okay, make sure you understand what is not working, and/or what needs to be fixed. If you find out that you have a serious problem which will be expensive to fix, you may decide the better alternative is to unload the vehicle than say.....do an engine rebuild or transmission replacement.

Only after you are completely satisfied that the vehicle was mechanically and electrically sound, and you didn't have any other mandatory repairs that you needed to do, should you consider putting money into discretionary upgrades. None of the 'upgrades' you do, will you get any money back for them when you sell the vehicle.
    Thanks for the feed back.

I live in an urban area and wanted to install an alarm system and a back-up signal. What would you suggest???

gracye
    Does the key only work in the driver's door???
    Door key is supposed to work in all the doors.

I used to have a 96 which I kept outside about half it's life, and used to have to spray a little wd-40 into the unused locks (passenger and back barndoor), as they wouldn't unlock if I didn't. Got to be a regular maintenance item about twice a year or so.
    I have no personal experience with adding either to that vehicle.

I have inquired into an aftermarket back up sensor a year or so ago, and have seen some that are part of the license plate mount. They appear like that might be an easy way to mount the sensors, but I suspect any aftermarket kit isn't as good as factory installed.

Having factory sensors on two of my current vehicles, they work well...but not really anything that you can't already do with mirrors.
  • geauxnowgeauxnow Member Posts: 3
    I recently installed an aftermarket fuel pump in my 2000 Suburban 1500 5.3L. If the truck has been off for longer than 15 minutes, I have to let the pump run for a few seconds before I expect the engine to turn over. I don't smell fuel, as in a leak. Is there a check valve in the OEM pumps that aren't in some of the aftermarket models?
  • gaboy3gaboy3 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the transmission in my 94 surburban won't go into 3rd or 4th gear after it changes out from 1st and 2nd so easily?
  • rj220402rj220402 Member Posts: 2
    what fuse is the stock DVD player hooked up to.
    Guessing that you are looking at a transmission shaft problem.

Had a 96, that lost R and 2 about a year or so ago, which were on the same shaft (about $1700 ballpark fix, if I remember correctly) .

Don't drive around on it, have it towed to a transmission shop if you expect to keep the vehicle. If something broke, you'll have metal pieces loose, and you don't want them moving around and ruining any of the other gears.
    My speakers are busted in my '94 burb and would like to upgrade the stereo system to include a cd player. Any suggestions???
  • cheesehead2cheesehead2 Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to find a replacement latch that holds the fold out section behind the middle row seats in the upright position. I managed to find the inner piece made by a company called Southco pt#12543139 but cannot seem to locate the discontinued piece or a manufacture for pt#15663869. The color is blue. If anyone knows where I can find this piece I would like to buy 2 or 3 for spares. Thanks!
    Why don't you try a wrecker yard.
  • cheesehead2cheesehead2 Member Posts: 3
    I have already been to 3 or 4 wrecking yards in the Rancho Cordova area. They all refuse to sell that part as they feel they can sell the complete seat assembly for anywhere from $200-$400 regardless of how thrashed the seats appear. I have also gone online to many wrecking yard parts locators but have had no luck. Apparently blue is a tough interior to find in addition to the age of the vehicle. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • unburbanunburban Member Posts: 3
    my 04 with bose system starts giving feedback sometimes thru the left, right, or both sets of speakers. if i hit the steering wheel at different spots it will go away, or cause the other side to start feedback. maybe a loose ground? any clues?
  • pronightowlpronightowl Member Posts: 1
    The problem began Friday evening after leaving a phone charger in the electrical outlet all day. That evening my 2000 Suburban wouldn't start. At first I thought it was a dead battery, but we were unable to jump start the vehicle. The engine tries to turnover, but I am unable to get it to complete the start up. I realized if it was a dead battery it would probably just make a clicking sound, but that is not what is happening. After leaving it for 45 minutes and doing nothing, it started up fine.

I was careful not to leave anything plugged in over the weekend and it started fine Sunday morning so I went to run errands. After shutting it off at the first stop I was unable to start it again. I left it at the store and came back 12 hours later. Again it wouldn't start so I called a tow truck. When the tow truck arrived 20 minutes later, it started right up.

What would intermittently prevent the Suburban from completing the ignition and start up? Perhaps a fuel filter??

Thanks!!
  • quist2quist2 Member Posts: 1
    My 07 Suburban has had five occasions where it would not start. Three times it has been towed to the dealer. They have not been able to recreate the problem, so they think nothing is really wrong. The alarm system has been removed and a new starter has been put in. They also reprogramed the keys. When it happens, everything electric in the car works fine, but you get nothing when you turn the key. An hour later it might start right up. Needless to say this is annoying when you are stuck with kids in the car away from home and have to be towed. A hefty monthly payment to have this happen!!
    Has anyone had a similar problem with an 07 Suburban or Tahoe? Any suggestions what else might be the problem?