Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    No. I have the Northstar and have used all grades of gas without any noticable difference in performance, although I haven't paid close attention to try to track the difference.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    The difference in performance between regular and premium is very subtle. If you are happy with the regular, there is no point in paying for premium. I use premium in my 2002 Seville, which has the same engine as the Lucerne. Where I notice difference is in the down shifts under full throttle, with regular there seems some hesitation after a downshift, while on premium there isn't. There does not seem to be any difference in fuel consumption.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Considering replacing our '04 Suburban (gas hog, and just too much unused space) with a new Lucerne.

The model of choice would be a CXL V6, and the local dealer we deal with has about 8 of them, all that same model--and 2 are pretty much exactly what I think we'd want. Just a single option each, a Platinum/Titanium with chrome wheels and a White Opal/Cashmere with 6-CD.

It looks like the current bonus rebate is $1500, according to GM, but Edmunds also lists an additional dealer incentive of $1000 if the vehicle was invoiced prior to 4/1/06--i.e., old stock. Any idea if this is really true? And is the 2.9% financing limited to a certain term?

Planning on driving one for the first time tomorrow, but already like the looks, the gas mileage, and the price.
  • loyalbuickfanloyalbuickfan Member Posts: 63
    Welcome! Please let the Forum know your , road test impressions of this car.

As you are a first time driver of Lucerne, they may be more accurate than mine which are biased!

This format allows you to plug in words you choose using the "search " function ,but if you have time, reading some older messages may give you some detailed info about this great automobile.
  • b88lazerb88lazer Member Posts: 21
    Is this forum still active?
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Yep, got a question/comment?
    For Readers:FYI
    Some time ago someone wanted to know if Lucerne had Auto- Level Control. It Definetly does.
    This was included on my older Park.Ave and I can say that the car's ride and handling is great,even when loaded with four or five people and luggage. (and we have all seen cars on the highway with their rear bumpers far closer to the ground than the front when loaded like this).It was not found on Lesabre until 2000,(I think).

Strangely the 2006 Lucerne Brouchure says nothing about it, but the Caddy 2006 DTS(both cars made at same factory) Brouchere shows it's standard. I hope it will be listed in '07 and hate to think GM wants it this way!

My 2007 ordering info given to me by a Dealer shows it as standard on all models. When I thought about buying an '06 I called a contact at the factory and he said it was on all '06 models also.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >It was not found on Lesabre until 2000,(I think).

Strange, my 98 LeSabre has it. And earlier LeSabres, like 1989, had auto load leveling. Not all Park Avenues had it. The base models, e.g., in 95 didn't seem to have it when I had one as a loaner.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I stand corrected to a degree.

I know that when I bought in '94 it was Standard on all versions of the Park Ave.

As I have the '94 Full line Brochure I just learned that auto-level
    was included with the LeSabre "grand touring"suspension option only.

Once had a blown fuse that prevented auto level from working
    in my car and that may have been situation in the '95 you mention.

Perhaps in '2000 it became standard on LeSabre

The Buick fans here keep each other accurate!
    You might want to see if the load leveling was included in the Limited's SE option package. It was available on 93 and 98 when I bought them.

The 95 Park Avenue didn't have it because I looked. There were no lines to the rear struts. I'd noticed it didn't have the pump run after starting so I looked.

I do have the '93,'94,&'95 Full Line dealer handouts.
    In that time frame they all say ths same thing:

The Park Avenue got auto level as standard equipment in all suspension variations.

The LeSabre would not have auto level in any trim style unless
    the "Grand Touring" suspension was ordered as an option.
    I think Buick wanted to deliver it's softer Buick
    ride to it's known customer base, unless a person wanted to specify otherwise and then
    the firmer struts were paired with auto level.

As to the '95 loaner you used ,maybe it's rear struts were changed with after-market types.
    And again no pump run=blown/missing fuse.

Doesn't it make sense that the Park Ave.,had auto level as standard equipment in all styles as this premium car did cost those customers (me) over $ 5,000 more, than a base LeSabre?

Before the Host says something, I can only tell you what I own and read in the books.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I have a 94 brouchre which shows that the Park Avenue had auto level control standard. The 1995 Edmunds price guide also shows auto level control as standard equipment. The LeSabre only offers auto level control with the grand turing suspension. My 1998 Edmunds price shows that the auto level control was an option on the LeSabre independent of either the Grand Turing Package or trailer towing package. However, the 1SA trim was an exception.
    The Buick Lucerne was recently included in the top 10 List
    of THE safest cars being sold today.(Forbes.Com)

Forbes describes THE safest vehicles like this:

"Which cars are the most likely,according to crash tests and available facts and figures,to keep their occupants from injury or death in an accident?"'

Forum Comments?
    It is a big Buick!
    Yes it is, and I think you smiled when you typed your comment!

I never minded "giving up" a few MPG.and paying more(As compared to smaller cars)
    in return for years of a real comfortable ride with saftey included as a bonus.
    I'll take Lucerne's 28MPGs. and enjoy the trip.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A new discussion has been created to discuss Lucerne safety and crash ratings. A few recent posts have been moved there.

Buick Lucerne: Safety & Crash Ratings
  • dvpriemdvpriem Member Posts: 11
    I noticed on the Buick web site that the LaCross can be had with telescoping steering. But I could not find it on the Lucerne. Does anyone know if it is availalbe on the Lucerne? :confuse:
    Lucerne does not have telescoping wheel available.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Web site you see pics of a wood trimmed steering wheel and a NAV system, yet youwould be hard pressed to find a Lucern at any trim level with these options.

Also, in the same packadge that Buick offers the wood trimed wheel, they should ofer a wood trimmed console shifter.

Anyone have a lucerne with any of these options?
    Nav was an interim introduction. Also, as with all vehicles that have this option, few order it. Just too expensive for most folks. I would have thought though that a Lucerne with MSRP's over $35K would have a few out there. The market for Nav in an under $30k car is just not there yet.

i do not see the wood steering wheel available yet on the website.
    The wood-trimmed steering wheel and walnut shifter knob are dealer-installed accessories.
    Most readers of this column are probably pro- GM Buick,
    and enjoy their Buicks for many valid reasons.

Would anyone like to post their opinion about Lucerne on this other new Forum listing?(Large Sedans Under $30,000.)

In appears on each large sedan forum and not one positive thing has been said of Lucerne, just negative.

As of this writing the Ford 500 has been mentioned nearly 50% of the time by the creator of the column with Azera and Avalon on the 500's coat tails.

I will be posting soon.

Your comments would help balance the bias too.

What do other readers think of that column so far?
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    This sould br from the factory! The dealer puts in this accessories that cost 50 bucks, and charge 800 for them! Finish the job GM! You got a great car here!

Oh yea, any chance on replacing the 3.8 and adding more performance to that V8, don't really want a V6 avalon to outgun this car, IMO.
    GM seems to re-act rather than anticipate demand,rather than "create ahead of time". I hope they read your comments and others found here.

I drove Avalon and Azera before deciding on Lucerne.

Ride: I want a non-jarring smooth ride. I felt "tar-strips" and every pebble on the road and more body motion than I wanted. The Lucerne CX version was far superior,in that respect.(The 3.8 engine is ok for me.)CXL,CXS,available with more ride control.

Engine: Avalon definitely noisy at idle,major hesitation when downshifting(over 50MPH) and approached red line RPMS doing so while engine unpleasantly screamed!

Lucerne's V-8/Transmission combo may not be fastest by .8 of a second or whatever the spec. is but the Northstar Engine is smooth quiet and really immediately resposvive to the drivers wishes. Like power under control and enough of it for all but a few.

I think I prefer a delay in the latest of high tech until it's works right. I'm sure faster V-6's are wating for us.

Look at what GM is putting in that new Cadillac series with 0-60 times at frightnigly low numbers! High tech is at GM.

Let them get the bugs out at Caddy and then offer it at Buick later.
    3.8 will be gone very soon in the Lucerne.
    You seem to have a back channel to a lot of GM insider information. What's the real-world schedule with regard to the Lucerne 3.8 phase-out?
    I get the info from web and other places. The 3.8L plant I believe is going to close in 2007-8.
  • bc101abc101a Member Posts: 1
    The steering on my CX has a jerky feel at low speeds especially when close to center. It is most noticeable when going back to center slowly from a minor turn. The dealer tells me this is normal for the car and there are no adjustments. The car has around 1,200 miles, the tires are balanced and properly inflated. This is not torque steer, it is the same in neutral with no acceleration. If it is normal, fine I'll get used to it. Otherwise no problems, great car. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Did this happen from day 1 or did you just notice it? Ask for a drive in a Lucerne with miles on it and see if it is there. Never heard of it but you may be sensing some pump pressure variation???
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I've always noticed this on my Intrigue and I wonder if it's how Magnasteer, an electric motor that provides variable input effort in addition to the power-steering, works...
    CX only comes with the standard variety power rack&pinion
    but on CXS Magnetic Variable Steering is standard, and on CXL,optional. (I think with the V-8 only)

I am awaiting my CX and would not want the condition bc101a describes in my new car.

Liked 62veeps's sugestion try another(or 2) on the lot.
  • daboiddaboid Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new CLX Lucerne V6 three months ago to replace my old '97 Lesabre which was a great car. I like the quietness and smoothness of the '06 and find the 3800 engine very quick for normal driving. However, compared to the '97 Lesabre the one thing I really dislike in the Lucerne is the excessively WIDE turning radius. This is something i didn't notice on the test drive. When you live with the car awhile and have to park it, it is a very agravating trait. I also find that at interstate speeds it is not as stable as the old Lesabre in the way it steers at speeds above 65 MPH. Otherwise I like the car. I guess no car is perfect.
    I've had my CXS for 8 months now and have over 10,000 miles on it. It's still a nice ride. The steering is wide, and it's my understanding that they had to increase the turning radius to enable the 18" tires to fit and work on the CXS. Maybe someone can confirm whether I am correct. As for the interstate, mine is extremely stable - don't know if the magnetic ride control is part of the reason it seems that way to me or not. Overall, I'm still very happy with the car's performance and ride.

I have noticed a rare clicking from the speakers (it's happened maybe 10 times) that almost sounds like an older speedometer cable sticking. Wierdest thing is that if I hit the turn signal, it stops immediately, otherwise it will go away on its own in about 20 seconds. Also, at about 8,000 miles it felt like the brakes were cutting into the rotors. I took it to the dealer (my brother is the service manager), and the brakes were fine with only a very small inconsistency in the rotor. I'm curious to see if this recurs.
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    Does anyone else think it's odd the way Buick ran the exhaust pipe on the V-6? It looks alright where it comes out the back but hangs down and makes a strange turn as it comes under the fuel tank(I assume)....look at it the next time one passes you going up the road. Looks like the exhaust was just tacked on as an afterthought :confuse:
    Has the alignment been carefull checked and set to center of the specs by a knowledgeable alignment tech?

Re clicking sound in the speakers,it sounds almost like a
    "static discharge" within the radio's electronics.

The next time it happens,try to turn on other items like the brakes, tail lights or cigar lighter. Seems that as you draw power from another path it "fixes" the radio for now. Try to describe problem in great detail (as you have done) to the service manager but ask if he can e-mail the radio electronics division,(Delco) at Buick that they may be able to come up with a fix.

Does your car have the Harmon-Kardon Radio Option?
    My new Lucerne,soon to be delivered will have this option.

Too bad,no matter the kind of car,it takes some time to get out those darned "bugs".
    One review of this car stated the steering felt "Vague".(V-6 only)Perhaps they did overdo the amount of power assist.

My old 94 Park Ave. had some sort of auto-valve that changed power assist over about 15 Mph. and it felt just right at both low and high speeds. In trying to improve things Buick should not forget what was already proven to be a perfect balance.

I hope that you can get this back to Buick so it can be
    reviewed and this calibration may be changed in future models.

Dont let it go,Let Buick Know!
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    Yeah all newly designed cars seem to have problems, just check out the 2007 Camry woes forum :(

I guess your getting an '07 buickfan? I'm still trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on an '06 or not....a '07 Harley is in my near future so I don't know.
    They're changing the motor and tranny in those this year I hope they have the bugs worked out....ah what am I thinking not Harley :)
    It does have the Harmon Kardon system, which, by the way, sounds absolutely fantastic. My brother is the service manager, so I've tried to explain it to him, and he is in the process of checking any service bulletins to see if something shows through them.
    Would you please post if you get info that is suggested, even the TSB# ?
    Thanks.
    This"Buick Lucerne" Forum is the best source of observer/owner info concerning the Buick Lucerne at Edmunds. However a companion Forum has been made available.

A detailed message about the Lucerne is posted on a newer
    Forum called "Large Sedans for under $30,000 Comparison."

Click on that Forum at the start of the choices found in the Buick Lucerne Message Board heading.

Posting #108(@ Large Sedans---) took me quite some time to write, but I think a prospective buyer might find it helpful.
    Its called dither and can vary from imperceptable to slight. There is a small valve that opens and closes to vary the pressure and can sometimes be felt.
    The wider tires would rub the black metal in the front which did not change from the old LeSabre. Therefore higher steering limits were built in.

Also the new Lucerne steering is quite a bit more sporty/sensitive than the old LeSabre. Buick has been racheting up the steering/handling and compromises are made which some will not like.
  • wayne55wayne55 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, the alignment has been done.
    Here's the info I got on the clicking problem, although I'm not sure it quite matches my experiences. It's "document number" 1761596 (not sure of that's a TSB number or not). Subject is "static, whine, or loud pop noise in speakers when radio or ignition is on." Begins by saying this occurs when it is turned on, and mine can occur at any time. The cause is "instrument panel wire harness may be cut or chafed by the steering whell column bracket." Labor time to repair and reroute the instrument panel wire harness is listed as .5 hours.
    Rake2

Thanks for info. I will save it.
    Determined to read older postings.

YES a car is a rolling billboard, great "free" advertising.

Buick definitely should have retained the3 color tri shield emblems,rather than saving a buck, and use chrome only.
  • bonnevillebonneville Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking in the Cadillac & Buick websites at the
    DTS & Lucerne CXS, I've noticed that the DTS offers overdrive with the NorthStar but the Buick website does
    mention overdrive for Lucerne CXS w/NorthStar. Does anyone know if this is available with the Buick?
    It has overdrive.
    Color was not done to save money.

The chrome shield with see thru to the body is much more high end appearing. Simple and sharp.