Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    All GM cars have "overdrive" today.
  • bonnevillebonneville Member Posts: 3
    Thank You!
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    More to the point, the northstar V8 comes with a "northstar" transaxle. For the base 275 hp northstar, the axle ratio has been 3.11:1, with the 4th gear rato (overdrive) 0.68:1. On my 2002 Seville that combination allows the engine to run at about 2000 RPMs at 70 MPH.

The high performance northstar would get a 3.71:1 axle ratio and the Pontiac Bonneville's with the northstar V8 also got the 3.71:1 axle ratio.
  • bonnevillebonneville Member Posts: 3
    Thank You sls for the info very much appreciated
  • jh1977jh1977 Member Posts: 40
    I hope GM make changes to the Buick Lucerne for model year 2008, such as a more modern V6 engine like the 3.9 Liter or 3.6 Liter and other refinements the car needs as noted in some car review websites. If no changes are made by model year 2008, I will leave Buick (I currently drive a Buick LeSabre) and might buy a 2008 or later Ford 500 or Mercury Montego with its new 3.5 Liter V6 engine, with 250 HP, split folding rear seatbacks and other amenities currently not available in the 2006 Lucerne with the 3800 V6 (an outdated engine for 2006).
  • hjw1hjw1 Member Posts: 17
    The problem I have with the 3.9 is that it has a cast iorn block, and aluminum heads. I think that is asking an awful lot from a head gasket.

The 3800 is reliable and efficient. A solid engine.

If you would like more HP than the 3800, why not go with the Northstar?
    Have you heard the latest news. The 3800 is being phased out by GM in calendar year 2008 and the 3.9 Liter engine is its successor. I prefer a strong V6 engine in a car the size of the Lucerne. A V8 engine burns to much gas for me.
  • hjw1hjw1 Member Posts: 17
    Yep, thats why I'm planning to purchase either a Lucerne or Lacrosse in 2007.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    The 3.9 is hardly what I would call a modern V-6. It's roots come from the old 2.8 Chevy V-6 found in the Citation and it still uses pushrods. I wouldn't go near one.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    The LS7's roots come from the 1955 Chevy 265 small block and it still uses pushrods too. What a piece of junk! LOL!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    The Chevy small-block's main virtues are low cost and ubiquity. It is hardly a technical tour de force. In fact, back when each GM division had its own V-8 engine architecture, it was generally considered the weakest of them all.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    Saw '06 and '07 Lucrene CXL's side by side on the dealers lot Wednesday. Identical except the '07 was $12,200 more :(
  • jef4jef4 Member Posts: 11
    The 2006 CXL I looked at was about $32000. Are you telling me that the same car for 2007 was $44200? I just bought a 2007 CXL (picked it up today) and it was about the same price as the 2006. The dealer must be living next door to Bill Gates.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    According to kbb.com the difference in 06/07 base price is about $1200. on the CXL V8. What extra items does the '07 have as standard that the '06 does not?
    I meant 12 hundred dollars more, sorry about that :D
    and the CXL's I where looking at where V-6's so it appears to be 12 hundred across the board

I think the only difference in the 2 is the inceased price not any additional equipment
    Looks like a heated steering wheel was added as standard on the CXS.

Alos tire pressure monitoring is standard
  • aquaknot2000aquaknot2000 Member Posts: 30
    I believe my 06-CXL is equipped with the tire pressure monitor.
    Not the same. I think the '06 is ABS based while the 07 has a sensor in each wheel.
  • loyalbuickfanloyalbuickfan Member Posts: 63
    The Info I have is as follows:
    (Destination Charges Excluded)

2006Lucerne MSRP CX $25,990(Source Buick Website)---- 2007 CX $25,440 or $550 less. (Source Edmunds)

2006Lucerne MSRP CXL $27,790(Source Buick Website)---- 2007 CXL $28,460 or $670 more. (Source Edmunds)

Two new exterior colors and two new combination interior colors are new for 2007. Tire pressure monitors now standard, on all trim levels,Heated steering wheel is part of a Luxury Package(PCK) on CXL and is Standard on CXS.

However a $1500 cash rebate is available only on 2006 Models until 9/5/06.(as of this date)
    2006 MSRP Base price CXL V-6 $27,265
    2007 MSRP Base price CXL V-6 $28,460 - $1165 dollars more ....source looking at stickers of 2 cars side by side

add in the lack of rebate on the '07....the '07 is $2695 dollars more....of course you still have the option for 0% for 60 months on the '06 instead of the rebate
  • darlashadarlasha Member Posts: 4
    My first post to this forum! I have had my '06 CXL for about 6 weeks and just love it! I have the Memory Package that will recall the settings for 2 drivers but have a question...It appears in the manual that this should allow the seat position, mirrors, temperature, and radio settings to be recalled, however, mine is only recalling the seats and mirrors.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if this is normal; whether there are two types of this package; or if I am not setting it properly?? To set it, I am just hold the "1" or "2" button until I hear two beeps.

Thanks for any help!
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    Looks like my 94 Pontiac Bonneville with the same 3.8 liter engine.
    0-60 in 9.4 seconds? Damn, thats slow for a car in 2006. I think my old Suburban did that. I can't be too hard on the car cause I haven't drove it, but you put a Northstar into about anything, you got a nice car.
    I would not put this anywhere near a 5 series BMW. That guy is going to loss is shirt on depreciation. To me, its got small car styling and the size of a Crown Vic, looks better in pictures than live. Car choice of this (with the 3.8), Chrsyler 300 (no hemi), Ford Five Hundred, Pacifica and Dodge Magnum. Will do a final test drive, but got to go with the 300, can't see where the Buick has it beat and it's tight if so. Am I missing something here? The big engine's are not worth the huge increase in the sticker price. A northstar or hemi is not that much more costly to produce. Why can't America make a quick six cylinder that gets to to 60 mph in around 7 seconds? Got to put these small block V8's that get around 10 mpg in the city.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I don't have one but my 04 Trailblazer remembers all including temp and radio and even the power gas/brake pedal too. I have had about 6 GM's with this feature and they all remembered that and some more. Sounds like something loose.
  • gatorraygatorray Member Posts: 4
    That is normal. Mine is the say way.
    I just bought an '06. I love mine too.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Just saw photos of the new Lexus LS sedan. Aside from some front and back end details, I'd have a hard time telling it apart from the Lucerne, especially the side view. So maybe the design is not as boring as I had thought.....
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Did you mean the "ES"? They do look very similar. Toyota has copied many of it's styles from other cars.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

No, their flagship. Think it's now the LS460. Saw it in the new Car&Driver.
    haven't changed their building of their tires to the quality level needed for modern cars.

• jib4jib4 Member Posts: 13
    Well my friends. My sis just rented a lucerne and after stopping for a bite to eat she came out to find her car on fire and watched it burn to a crisp. Complete toast. Just glad nobody was hurt but this car. It may be that the '06 recall for the power steering hose may be in play for the '07 model as well. That hose break caused fires. Can't say what the cause was here but....

BE CAREFUL FOLKS !
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    My first reaction to this is that the problem lies entirely with the automatic dimming/twilight sentinel feature and/or the light sensor. When it is going bad, you get those sorts of lighting issues.

Try turning it all the way off/manual lights mode and see if that doesn't fix it.
    The test would be to completely switch wheels with a good car on the lot. The dealer can do that to test _if they want to_.

• nimmernimmer Member Posts: 6
    I've tried to follow this thread and on several occassions there was a mention of TSB'S for the Lucerne, does anyone have a comprehensive list of TSB'S for this vehicle?

Thanks in advance for responses.
  • jbrichjbrich Member Posts: 23
    I wish I did. If you get one, please post. There are some here on Edmunds.com. I also found a phone number on the Buick site that said you could call and order Service Bulletins 1-800-551-4123. I haven't tried it. Found a site called mycarstats.com that lists complaints, recalls and TSB's but not much applied to my issues. Good Luck.
  • llt2llt2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. New guy on the block. I have a Lucerne with steering and handling problems. The car drifted to the right and was unstable on any road in the wind and on truck rutted roads without wind. My service department didn't like it much when I told them that my '93 motor home was more stable. The end result after the second try on the alignment rack was to increase caster to max (+5.5) and to adjust camber and toe to get rid of the drift. Drives great now. The short story on the loose, grinding, binding, or whatever in the steering is that "It was designed that way and there is no fix." Through my shop foreman and looking at GM's discussions on this problem is that the angle on the universal joint between the steering shaft and rack and pinion is too great. The initial "fix" is to loosen the four bolts that hold the engine cradle in place and move the cradle as far forward as possible. This may get you an eighth of an inch. Seems to work for some. It worked for about 200 miles for me. Same problem.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    What suggestions would you make for improvements on the Lucerne?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Talk about what you love or not so much love about Lucerne design.
  • frostyrfrostyr Member Posts: 20
    The car is extremly good looking. Three suggetions:
    1) Make is smaller (198 inches).
    2) Make is lighter
    3) Make is more fuel efficient.

Also, keep making the split bench seat.
    1) Put the trunk release latch on the door of the driver's
    side, like it is in the Buick Lesabre (2000 thru 2005).

2) Improve Agility.

3) Improve emergency handling.

4) Improve braking distance.

5) Have a folding rear seat.

6) Have an optional newer V6 engine engine which has better
    acceleration and fuel economy than the current 3.8 liter
    engine in the Lucerne. Maybe GM's 3.9 liter or 3.6
    liter engines could be used in the Lucerne.

7) The length of the Lucerne (203.2 inches) is perfect.
    Please do not change it unless you want to increase its
    length a few more inches.

8) Keep the outside mirrors which can be folded in.

9) Keep the battery under the rear seat as it is in the
    buick lesabre (2000 thru 2005.)

10) Have a stability control system standard on the Lucerne.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    I would say the side profile is pretty good and the interior is richer looking than GM cars of the last three decades. The rear looks like my old Corolla '98 model only larger. While this is good in a way, as I really like the look on the smaller car, I do believe on a larger Buick it needs to be different. Something more aggressive looking - more pronounced would look good for the tail end. The DTS has a better rear. The front is fine, but the eyes are a bit too large. Do not car for foot brakes for emergency brakes, but the interior overall is OK. Put the 3.6 V6 engine in there and sell the car for around $25K to $28K and it would be a deal. Make the warranty 5 yr. bumper to bumper.
    -Loren
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Right or wrong, I feel that I got screwed by being one of the first to buy the car.

That is always the case, with any new model coming out. You pay a price to be the "first" on the block to own the car, and I'd think anyone who watched GM over the last 10 years would know rebates would be following the launch of a new vehicle soon. Shoot, they might as well just put the checks in the glove compartments of every new Ford and GM product.
    Pretty much agree with you. The side looks just fine, and actually a 3/4 from the front looks pretty good too. But I'd want a car that I can recognize from a distance, not have to wait until I see the badging and from the front at a distance, the Lucerne looks like an old Maxima. The rear looks more to me like a Honda than a Corolla but still, neither is a compliment. The back is too flat and too boring. Also, don't like seeing the undercarriage from the back. Do like the interior, but think it's time GM did away with the ancient mechanics and switch gear, especially the set detent tilt wheel. They probably still have the multi-purpose stalk/turnsignal that was on my '85 ParkAve. And give me some new power. The 3.8 was also in that '85 and think it's time for a change.
    (But actually what I'd really like is a new Riviera.....)
    Here's what I'd like to see improved:
    1. Put a finished edge on the headliner fabric where it meets the windshield. Actually a heavier fabric would be better too. It would hide some of the lumps and bumps and wrap around curves a little better.
    2. Put a SCAN button on the stereo.
    3. Make the whole seat leather - the fabric on the sides looks cheap.
    4. The front end is very plain. I'm not sure what it needs but something to make it stand out a little.
    5. Make fog lights and option on the CXL.
    6. Put Michelin tires on it from the factory. Continentals are junk and have to be replaced anyway.
    1. Place a handle on the upper front area of both front doors to assist closing . ( I have to lean outside the car
    to reach the standard door pull if fully open)

2. Raise the rubber "air deflector" that extends below the front fender as it scrapes on moderate changes in road surfaces and curb stones when parking.

3. Add Stability Control on all Lucerne models.

4. Widen the front seats.
    I am more comfortable in the smaller
    Buick Lacrosse seats as they measure 20 inches wide at the front of the seat and 20 inches at the rear of the seat.
    My Lucerne is 20" in front but tapers down to 18" at the rear.
    I chose a Full Size Car for it's ride and large interior volume,and paid more money for it.

The seats found in First Class Air provide extra room and are more comfortable than just those in "Coach"with adequate room.

Now please don't respond to say the seats are just perfect for you because some did agree with this issue in the Lucerne Interior Messages,and I am sure not one person would refuse first class seats if somehow they could be found in the entire plane!
    Yes the radio can Scan in three ways:

Press and hold the Seek Up button until scan starts, then press to stop. Same thing with seek down. The steering wheel control also works the same way, but only seeks or scans up.
    Thanks, I guess I missed that in the manual.
  • grandmarquisgrandmarquis Member Posts: 17
    I am considering buying a Lucerne. I need clarification of item 9. Is the battery of the Lucerne under the back seat or is it in the engine compartment?
    The battery is under the back seat. Please verify what I'm telling you by examining the car yourself to see where the battery is located. I like having the battery under the back seat because it last longer. I'm hoping the Lucerne gets a more modern V6 engine with far greater HP for the 2008 model year compared to 2006 and 2007 model years.
  • grandmarquisgrandmarquis Member Posts: 17
    I went to a Buick dealer today. The battery of the Lucerne is under the back seat, like you said. I had 3 salesmen scrambling around trying to find the battery ("maybe it's in the trunk"). I also went to a Cadillac dealer. The battery of the Cadillac DTS is also under the back seat.
  • nugbanugba Member Posts: 3
    Hi all...

I love my CXS but I am having two problems that my local dealership cant figure out.

1. My car sometimes runs the battery down overnight while sitting more then 8 hours.

Dealership upgraded software but it still does it once a week or so. Battery is taking change and alternator is working fine.

2. Car gives a vibration noise in the rear while in drive at a light.

They keep messing around with exhaust thinking that it is touching something but after having it in twice the noise is still there loud as ever!

Anyone have these problems??

John