Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• cblaircblair Member Posts: 2
    sarge12
    I am having the same problem. Could you indicate what was done to correct the problem.
    cblair
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I'd also like to read details. I'm sure it could help others as well!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• cblaircblair Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, Car leads to the right and has some vibration. Picks up alot of road sound. Nothing like my former Park Ave. I was told that it was the European "feel". Since owning the car if given a choice I drive my wife's Camry. I was thinking about new tires but hate the expense if it is something else.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Camry suspension is about as close to an old style Buick out there anymore except for the base LaCrosse and Lexus ES330.

the Lucerne has a tighter suspension than the Camry.
    I was asking sarge for info on how they fixed the symptoms he had. I'm not interested in your Camry.

• sau777sau777 Member Posts: 1
    PLEASE! Let us know how this problem was fixed. I have had my 2006 Buick Lucerne in the shop 4 times for the terrible drifting to the right. Each time they rotate or put new tires, find nothing wrong in the specs for the front end and return it with the same problem. Just returned from the shop yesterday with 3 new tires and drifts (almost pulls) to the right worse than before. Told service manager I was going to bring it to a front end shop and pay myself and was told to let them know the cost. Could this be one for the lemon law? Let us know how your Lucerne problem was resolved.
    I've noticed something new in the tire business. The Hunter Road Force 9700 balancers that helped find the poor tire quality from some companies and models and fix the stiff frame vibration on H-bodies and C-bodies in 2000- on a few years...

Now I see that there Hunter can check for lead built into tires...

I wonder if that's a new symptom of tire quality not keeping up with car quality and you're finding it... read through the description of how they match up tires on the same axle that cancel each other's lead to give a better drive.

The call it straighttrack...Hunter 9700

The Accord got comments in the discussion in 03 and on with some lead problems. Same for the Camry.

I didn't word my comment very well. I meant I wanted to know what Sarge's car had in the way of service to fix his problem, which may be related to your problem. I've heard so many people bragging about their foreign brand car that the Camry is not what I wanted to hear about, rather I want to know what is the symptom the Buick has fixed...

• vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Just out of curiosity, is this pulling a function of road crown? I own a 300C and there have been numerous posts there for pulling to the right. I notice that on a 2-lane road, when I pull out to pass, my pulling to the right becomes a pulling to the left, clearly related to road crown. Also, what is referred to as "improved road feel" to me translates to hyper sensitivity to the road surface. Has Buick also "improved road feel" and the result is this sensitivity to road surface?? Also, for the Chrysler, many reported the problems were strongly related to the Conti tires, and disappeared when Goodyears were installed. You certainly shouldn't have to custom match tires to wheel location. If so, what happens when you rotate tires?
    Without driving an individual car just as you describe to test it on the left side of the curved road surface and on the right side it's difficult to analyze whether it's the wonderful European feel some thing every car should have or if it's being too sensitive.

I think tires make a huge difference. The road noise one poster mentioned can be from a tough tire tread rolling. I had one tire that was great other than on the interstate overpasses in downtown Dayton; they screamed when they hit that particular texturing which was done in the concrete on the last major resurfacing a decade or so ago. They did an epoxy pavement or something like that for extended life.

A few of the cars that I recall in the Accord redesign had the cradle shifted and that changed the characteristic lead. I'd have to search back through posts now to be sure I'm recalling correctly.

The tires are matched on the same axle; when you rotate both fronts go to the back and both backs go to the front so they're still matched. Ideally tires don't have an lead; I thought that was an indication the belt was off center slightly.

• llt2llt2 Member Posts: 2
    I posted #1756. The shop adjusted the caster to its max then played with the camber until it didn't drift to the right. Back in the old days alignment shops used to do this as routine. It seems that now days if the numbers fall within specs they do nothing. I'm still fighting with GM about the steering system being loose. It has only been one year.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I just found out from my local Buick dealer that the 2008 LaCrosse Super will be getting the 5.3 liter engine plus a heavy duty trans and suspension to handle the 303 ponies.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Preview/styleId=100704034
  • chuck21401chuck21401 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if this accessory is "plug and play?"
    I have a 2007 CXL and would like to add the remote start capability. The owners manual noted that some models are "remote start ready."

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accessoriesjsp/accessorydetail.jsp?make=buick&model=- lucerne&year=2006&detail=06_LUC_80RSJ073&sid=
  • sarge12sarge12 Member Posts: 3
    Well here it is Gentlemen.
    Dealer was not able to resolve the pull and drifting after (3) separate alignments, and installing Michelin plus tires. The tires did assist in the drifting , but had no effect on pull. Dealer sent me to get another alignment at a shop of my choice. I went to another but larger dealership. When making appointment with new dealer they were already aware with the Lucerne pull problem and assured me that they could repair the problem. I do not know all the technical repairs they made but the caster and camber was critically out of GM specks on the before alignment read out. The shop spent 3.5 hours alongateing adjustment slots to get the proper alignment. They took it out on the road and came back to shop to make minor adjustments to correct road pull. The test was to determine road lean to the right or left and to be equal steering pull. Yes, all vehicles will favor road lean , but must be minimum and equal to the left or right.
    I have driven my Lucerne on a couple of long trips now and have been 100% satisfied with the results.
    My advise is to change dealerships to someone who knows what they are doing.
    Hope this helps, Sarge
    Coould you call the 2nd dealer and get the bulletin number fot the repair from them and post it here?

thanks
  • aquaknot2000aquaknot2000 Member Posts: 30
    I'm new to this site. I've been reviewing all the previous post about "Steering pull and wandering". I need to know if this problem is specific to one particular Buick model.
    I have a 2006 CXL V8 and my steering is fine - it holds the road on any street condition (even bumps), without even holding the steering wheel.
    Are the problems been posted only related to 2007 models???
  • sarge12sarge12 Member Posts: 3
    No GM bulletin, just a experienced alignment technicion and shop foeman who were willing to correct the problem. I have the alignment print out after job was completed. All specs were close to the center of GM recommendations with only one exception. The caster on the left wheel was set to 5.2 degree, instead of recommended 6 degrees. Right is 6.1.
    Be glad to talk to you or personal e mail if you post info.
    Sarge
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Oh, c'mon. The Buick Lucerne gives you only a 4 star rating on side impacts. 4 stars! So many other cars give you 5 star front AND 5 star side impact ratings.
    But we have to compare the weights to get it in the right category. Four star, 5 star, smatter star. Means little, if anything, during an actual crash. Let me see... Do I want to be in a Civic which gets 5 stars from simulated crashes or do I want to be in a larger Lucerne? I'll take the Lucerne.

It is my opinion the companies build to the crash tests specifics but the same cars would be difficient at different angles and different scenarios.

• lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I assumed everyone knew that crash test ratings for comparison of vehicles are for vehicles within 250 pounds of each other. Certainly you don't compare a Lucerne with a Civic, that's common sense. (The Civic has a 4 star side impact rating, not 5). Still, the Lucerne, a vehicle of that size and weight, even with side air bags, getting only 4 stars in the side impact test, is disappointing.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Yes, essentially. Most new GM vehicles, if they don't come with the full remote start system from the start, come prepped and if you want the full thing, it basically consists of an add-on module and new remotes the dealer can install.

Since your car is ready, you just need to have the dealer order the accessory and install it, and you'll be good to go just as if you had the feature from the factory.
  • chuck21401chuck21401 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Beach 15, I'll contact the dealer to see how much it will cost. It would be a nice feature to have on cold days.
  • hal56hal56 Member Posts: 94
    the twin top holden looks a lot like the G6 Pontiac hardtop convertible.

Just how much can GM import?
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    GM, is going to build most of these cars in the States or in Canada, in the future. They have to get the factory's ready "retooled" which takes time to make it work and I think deep down GM, wants to test the market again before putting millions into another factory. The GTO, didn't sell as well as expected thus they want to be sure the G8 will be a hit. ;)

Rocky
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    "The GTO, didn't sell as well as expected thus they want to be sure the G8 will be a hit."

From what I've seen and read about the new G8 cars, I think they'll be a hit. Young and middle-aged enthusiasts are wanting a RWD performance car to be built, and sold for a reasonable price. My daughter is one of them. On the other hand, her father would be content with a FWD Buick (need comfortable seats) that's happens to have a V8, specifically the 5.3 with 303 horses.
    Well he will then like the 08' LaCrosse Super with the 5.3 V8 ;)

Rocky
  • eecneeecne Member Posts: 13
    Its physics. FWD will handle much better in the snow. Better control compared to RWD.
    Or will like the Lucerne "Super" with a 4.6 V8 Northstar from the DTS with 292 hp and a kick [non-permissible content removed] interior upgrade. :shades:

Rocky
  • brz71brz71 Member Posts: 4
    Shame the poor sods dont have the utes. I drive a VZ commodore ute (pickup). It's only a six cylinder but has the six speed manual. Comfortably overtakes those road trains and gets over 30mpg on the open road. As for the bloody roos, been there hit one. Spent three hours stuck in the middle of nowhere after midnight. Holden actually have a crash test kangaroo that they bounce off commodores at lang lang proving ground. Apparently they are one of the biggest causes of accidents here.
  • hjw1hjw1 Member Posts: 17
    Looks like the front motor mount on our 07 Lucerne CXL is leaking oil.

Has anyone else had, or heard of this problem?
  • kkeyes01kkeyes01 Member Posts: 1
    You cannot get lumbar for the cloth seat in the Lucerne. Its hard to believe that it is not even an option. I suggest they add lumber as an option for the car. In my opinion, it should be a standard feature.
    A reporter is hoping to talk with Buick Lucerne owners who never before owned a Buick. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, May 10, 2007 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.
    A reporter is hoping to talk with Buick Lucerne owners who are long-time Buick loyalists. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, May 10, 2007 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.
  • grandmarquisgrandmarquis Member Posts: 17
    On my 2007 Lucerne, there is a knob/button that controls the brightness of the instrument panel light. When you turn it to the extreme right, it turns on the interior lights. You can also push this button in and push it again to release. I can't figure out what the difference is between in and out. The owner's manual mentions pushing in and out but doesn't say why. What is the difference between in and out?
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I don;t have a Lucerne in front of me but my educated guess would be something like it overriding the automatic daylight sensor(dash lights on during the day, say, if it was overcast or something).

Buicks have always had a lot of lighting and convienence features like that. Kind of spoils you when you hop into something like a Civic or Accord.
    Pushing it out lets you get a better ergonomic grab of the switch.
  • hjw1hjw1 Member Posts: 17
    We brought our Lucerne CXL to the dealer a week ago Saturday to have the front motor mount replaced. We left the car in the shop and went to breakfast. Before we were finished reading the newspaper, our dealer called to let us know that the car was ready.

The leaking motor mount is the only problem we've experienced with the Lucerne. All is well, and the dealer service department did a nice job. We are very pleased with the Lucerne, and our dealer, which is Luther Brookdale Buick Pontiac GMC in Brooklyn Park, MN.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    GM was good about having automatic headlights. Chevy's late 90s Lumina with crank windows and only an AM/FM radio (no tape or CD) even had auto-on/off headlights.

The only problem I have with that feature is that I see tons of Tahoes, Suburbans, Buicks, etc... driving in the rain with no headlights on. :( They should turn on when the windshield wipers are activated for more than, say, 10 seconds.
  • turbo5lucturbo5luc Member Posts: 1
    I got my invoice right here on a new 2007 Buick Lucerne CXL. I got $2200 total rebate not counting my GM credits. Total cash used in the deal was $4426.61 from GM. Now that is not bad for a great car. Everyone who sees my car loves it. When they ride in it they fall even more for it. Its a big car and gets good gas mileage. GM did good with this car. It also has a wonderful 100,000 mile warranty or 5 years with 5 year road side assistance and GM provides transportation if it should ever have to go in for routine maintenance! I got a red one with creamy white interior.

Not bad for an American car company!!!

Turbo5luc :shades:
  • gmccoygmccoy Member Posts: 5
    I am also having the battery rundown problem on my 2007 Lucerne CXL. It has been to the dealer 3 times so far and this time they have had it for two weeks and still no resolution. What has your dealer found out so far about the problem?

Thanks!

Gary
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    Hi Gary,

Don't know if this will help, but I found that the battery ran down overnight for no apparent reason in a 2001 Chrysler 300 I used to have. Battery checked out OK. Discovered that the problem was due to my inadvertently turning on the instrument panel light switch when I wiped the dashboard. It seems that when the switch is turned full clockwise, the lights stay on indefinetly.

Dandydon
  • gmccoygmccoy Member Posts: 5
    I am sure that is not the case here, because the car has a battery saver which will automatically turn off the interior lights if they are left on. I did find a TSB 06-06-03-009 which deals with battery run-down when the car is turned off, but don't yet know if it is my problem. It affects the Lucerne, Tahoe, Suburban, Impala, Silverado, and presumably a number of others. Apparently, the Body Control Module needs to be re-programmed with new software. We'll see if that helps once I talk to the dealer about it tomorrow.

Thanks!
    Gary
  • nugbanugba Member Posts: 3
    After months and trying almost everything else my dealership found the problem. It was the OnStar Module staying on trying to get a location fix. They replaced the OnStar Module and after 4 months of driving never had the problem again. Before the fix I was jumping the car every 3 weeks...
  • richman64richman64 Member Posts: 15
    1. Better lighting (i.e. optitron) of the dash and guages like most under $20K Japanese cars have. It's a shame that a $30K-$40K car such as this does not offer this.

2. Split folding rear seats

3. Kill the ash tray and replace it with a storage area for CDs.

4. Offer the better (i.e. firmer) suspension that's available in the V8 to the V6 models, especially with gas at $4 a gallon.

5. Kill the lame port holes

6. Offer a darker colored leather in the V6 models. The very light tanned leather looks like it will get dirty easily.
  • richman64richman64 Member Posts: 15
    When will the 2008 Lucerne be available? Does anyone know what changes/improvements will be made versus 2007?
  • 0311vn0311vn Member Posts: 47
    What are some of the prices of Lucernes going for in various parts of the country? I'm from Detroit, where I just visited and looked at some cars, but now live in San Diego. Am I right to think that metro Detroit has better deals than here in SoCal?