Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Synus

ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Ford will be displaying a concept vehicle in the NAIAS named Synus. It's a concept vehicle for an entry level vehicle Ford is planning. Known as the B-Segment, the platform will be developed by Mazda for the B-Segment worldwide. Ford is using this platform for this concept vehicle.

A vehicle is needed under the Focus, to introduce a younger demographic into the brand, and push the Focus upwards in space and pricing. With Honda publically stating they wished to introduce a vehicle under the Civic, Ford is also wanting to take the same route.

The Synus in essense seems to be a Scion xB looking vehicle.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    That's pretty gross, oh well! ;-)

But I know the average fuel economy # is pretty low at Ford, even the city/hwy mpg of my '05 California-emission Focus ST 2.3 5-sp manual is only rated @ 22/31.

Ford needs the Synus -- most likely Fiesta based. By the way, even the Mazda2(121) & Festiva(Aspire) already switched to Fiesta based.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Yes Fiesta based, although next generation of the Fiesta platform, which will be headed by Mazda (Demio for them), or Mazda2...
  • odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    The concept may be called Synus but following current naming conventions if it goes into production it will need to be called an F-word.

Fiesta would work, but how about Falcon?
    That is correct, considering this is just a concept, the name can be pretty much anything, since it's just a concept. The name will either be "F" or "E".

Last Falcon was a sedan, therefore it'll be saved for something as such rather than this new entry vehicle.
    Falcons were made in many different variants including:

4-door sedans

2-door sedans

2-door hardtops

2-door convertibles

2 AND 4-door wagons

2-door sedan deliveries (wagons without rear side windows)

2-door pickups (the '60s Ranchero)

About the only thing they didn't make was a hatchback (the Pinto solved that), so Falcon would work. However, it isn't 'modern' enough, just as they haven't reached for Fairlane, the other good F-word from the 1960s. There's also Fairmont, but let's not go there...
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Synus? What kind of stupid name is that? Might as well call the production car the Fleghm.
    CADILLAC SEVILLE STS

CADILLAC CATERA CTS = CATERACTS? I read that somewhere, possibly from a reader's letter in C&D. Cadillac never combined these 2 words, though.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    isn't it phlegm?
    only those ill enough need Pfizer... ;-)
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I agree the name Synus (sinus) is just plain silly. Whoever came up with the name is just asking for ridicule.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Yeah it's phlegm, but flegm starts with an F and fits with the synus theme.

But I'm not a fan of naming it with European market names. It's confusing enough having two totally different Fusions... and why not just bring over the Fiesta? There's only so big a market for xB copies.
    Not to mention the confusion of a Freestyle and Freestar. Several car and non-car people have mixed the names up.

Honda also mixes up the global names too -- what sells as the Odyssey in Japan is nothing like the Odyssey sold here. Similarly the Euro Accord is nothing like the American Accord (it's actually the TSX).

Fiesta is the best name I've heard so far.
  • turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    here we go with the F-words again..... Just do Fiesta or Festiva again and be done with it. That damn X-b is selling just fine around here - I hate it, and think it should be a mail truck, but it's cool, it's popular, and it'll sell at least for now. Put bigger wheels on it, and you'll put Scion out of business. Call it the Ferris, and you'll REALLY have something.....
  • turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    That is the funniest thing I've ever seen! A mini armored bank truck!! HAHAHAHA!!!!

I spewed Pepsi out my nose when I saw that. Is Ford serious???

Turboshadow
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    Oh my aching synuses! All that thing needs are some gun ports and a push bar. They can sell them to Brinks and Wells Fargo! :)

Hope that Pepsi didn't go into your keyboard. :D Didn't that burn your nose? Perhaps it cleared up your "synuses". :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    This one is cute, but will never be made.
  • dave2222dave2222 Member Posts: 78
    test
This discussion has been closed.