Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda CX-7

Comments

• Options
    honakerhonaker Member Posts: 74
    Does anyone know if there is a factory installed roof rack option? It doesn't look like it, which would be a bummer.

Here's a link to the Features and Specs PDF posted on Mazda's website. I don't see a roofrack in there, and they specifically mention the height as being w/o roof rails.
  • Options
    twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    Does anyone know if there is a factory installed roof rack option?
    --------------------------------

A roof rack on the sleek CX7? Blasphemy!
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The differences here are not that great, but closer to Accord/Civic than Accord/Camry types of differences.

Are you saying that the size of the Accord and Civic are like that of the CX-7 and RAV4? I would have to disagree if that were the case. If I misunderstood you, then ignore the following :confuse: :P

According to you, the Accord is 14.2 inches longer then the Civic. The CX-7 and RAV4 are only 3 or 4 inches different in length, or something like that. Not 14. So, with those two vehicles you are talking about over a foot difference in measurement. There are many cars in different "classes" that are similar in width and wheel base(usually inches). The major difference is usually length.

The CX-7 and RAV4 are both classified as "crossover" vehicles by their respective makes. The Accord is a mid-sized family sedan. The Civic is a compact/economy car. Having them be in the same "crossover" class is what makes people cross shop them. IMO
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I'd have to agree with you, a roof rack on the CX-7 would ruin it's sleek sports car look.
  • Options
    There might be one, who know's. If I were to own one, I would not put one on.
  • Options
    udpumpkinudpumpkin Member Posts: 12
    I'll agree that it looks better without one, but I do choose my cars for more than just looks. If it is all about looks and not functionality, shouldn't the CX-7 be compared to sports cars/sedans?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    $27.6k for an AWD Sport with the moonroof/6CD pack, not bad.

14.2 inches is 1.18 feet. The Accord is more than a foot longer than the Civic. That's a fair amount.

-juice
  • Options
    Our first allocation of CX-7's are due in late March/early April. We are only receiving 5 or so. From what I've seen with other dealers, this is the norm. The second wave will come a month or two later. Then these vehicles should be in good supply.
    I really hope it is as good as Mazda is hyping it to be.
  • Options
    Our first allocation of CX-7's are due in late March/early April.

I'm jealous. Mine's not scheduled to be built until late March.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    http://www.carspace.com/kirstie_h

Check out the banner at the top w/our new personal pages. Be my friend :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    A factory roof rack will be available as a dealer installed option.
  • Options
    Funny how some vehicles look better with one, others without.

I think generally squarish vehicles look better, for instance a Pilot, Forester, or Highlander. But rounded off, stylish ones look better without it, including the Murano, Tribeca, and CX7.

-juice
  • Options
    richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    When I get my Defender, it has to have a roof rack!
  • Options
    dave90dave90 Member Posts: 27
    Sorry if my original message wasn't clear on overall length. I'm assuming that the spare tire on the RAV4 is at least 6 inches wide. Add that to the 3 inches spec difference (the RAV4 spec includes the tire) and we're talking 9 inches in overall length. Add this to the fact that the CX-7's wider and I think we are talking about pretty significant size differences. The CX-7 is closer in size to a Murano than a RAV4.
  • Options
    That one almost looks better with the entire spare up there! :shades:

-juice
  • Options
    There've been a few posts recently regarding the styling of the CX-7 vs. some other crossovers. I think the CX-7 styling is terrific - but I also find the Defender's "styling" to be wonderful - a true icon.

I see bland when I look at the Toyota.
  • Options
    They did a good job with the RAV4 update, the old one was just "cute", the new one actually has a bit of style to it.

The CX7 still wins the beauty contest, if I'm judging.

-juice
  • Options
    russ_49russ_49 Member Posts: 54
    I ordered mine the beginning of January, end of December. I'm not quite sure when I can expect it at this time. I do know that I got my order in to the dealer for his second order with Mazda for the CX. If I'm not mistaken, he stated that I would more than likely see it in the beginning of May. :D
  • Options
    My main complaint of the CX7 is the premium fuel required for the turbo. First, the fuel costs more and then, the CX7 mileage isn't that good.

Other than that, I like it a lot.

I know a non-turbo 2.3 would be a dog but maybe Mazda should have considered it for the more economy minded.
  • Options
    podracerdavepodracerdave Member Posts: 10
    Just got back from the Chicago Auto Show, and saw the CX-7. I thought others had posted that they were able to sit in the CX-7 at other auto shows? Maybe not? No one was allowed inside at the Chicago show. I really enjoyed the look of the CX-7, kind of reminded me of the Murano a little, maybe just a bit smaller perhaps. I am a little disappointed at the mpg for this car. Saw the new RAV4, seemed quite spacious inside and good mpg. I'll probably test drive both and make my decision...
  • Options
    unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    "I am a little disappointed at the mpg for this car."

Did you compare the mpg to the Murano?
  • Options
    podracerdavepodracerdave Member Posts: 10
    I only thought the exterior reminded me of the Murano...wasn't really comparing the two vehicles. But now that you ask, I believe the mpg is similar for both, around 19/24. I looking forward to a test-drive in April/May.
  • Options
    The Speed6 is still new, and they have yet to address the heat soak issues some owners are having.

This engine gets less boost, so it may not have the same issue, but I would not point to the Speed6 as proof that it will be a reliable powertrain...

-juice
  • Options
    Look, here is the deal...the difference in price from regular to premium is running based upon history $0.20 cents per gallon more! You are going to have to buy gas in the first place, right! So, if you drive 13,000 miles per year, and get 20 MPG, the price difference works out to be $2.50 per week!!! If $2.50 a week is influencing your decision, don't even look at this car!! GO TO THE KIA SITE, and look at something there!!! This is not for someone who is going to worry about $3.00 a week in additional fuel cost!!! This is a CUV for the sports car minded..........mine is on order and I can't wait for it to come in!!! :mad:
  • Options
    If $2.50 a week is influencing your decision, don't even look at this car!! GO TO THE KIA SITE, and look at something there!!!
    --------------------------------

LOL Ok, calm down. I think the turbo4 fits the zoom zoom image very well. And it fits the styling of the CX7. An additional 20 cents per gallon is an issue for some and not for others.

Besides, I have something else to gripe about... where's the 5speed (or 6sp) on a sporty vehicle like the CX7?
  • Options
    pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    I dropped 30k recently on an SUV but I didn't like it when gas hit $3/gallon and my tank bill went from around $30, when I bought it, to over $55! I was putting out $150/week versus less than $90 before the increases. And by the way, I didn't have to put in premium. For those of us who have to drive 1,000 miles a week, when premium is added to the equation, concern is not only reasonable but understandable.
  • Options
    At 1,000 miles/week, what SUV makes sense fuel-wise?
  • Options
    I absolutely agree...If I were driving 1K miles per week, an SUV would not be my choice of a ride!!
  • Options
    mikezoomzoommikezoomzoom Member Posts: 69
    Official release from Mazda North American Operations(MNAO)is that the ramp-up of production of Mazda CX-7 models has begun at the Ujina, Japan, assembly plant.

The first production model rolled off the line this morning and the initial pool of stock will be placed in adjacent holding yards. Once accumulative build up is reached, they will then be loaded to port to be shipped here to the United States. :shades:

The cool thing about this news is that after reading the release I checked my Dealer Assignment/Inventory Update... and I now have ETA Delivery Times of April/WK 2.

I will most likely still suggest to our pre-sold clients and new prospects to expect May/June delivery. This is of course with the hope of the new info from MNAO holding accurate.

I'd rather over compensate so I may overachieve, just in case any delays come about. ;)

I'm extremely anxious for the near future to unfold for our Mazda clients with full confidence in Mazda for creating yet another winner. Also... I'll be buying my own CX-7 Grand Touring AWD this coming November. :P

ZOOM ZOOM
  • Options
    The cool thing about this news is that after reading the release I checked my Dealer Assignment/Inventory Update... and I now have ETA Delivery Times of April/WK 2.

What's your build date and what part of the country are you in? I'm trying to get a feel for when mine might show up. :)
  • Options
    mikezoomzoommikezoomzoom Member Posts: 69
    WEIRD!!!

Maybe I caught a glimpse of info which was not to be seen. When I ran my Dealer Assignment/Inventory Report today... the ETA Delivery Times are no longer reflected. :surprise:

Most likely, someone caught this possible leak and withdrew the estimates. That's exactly why I said I'll still gear our folks up for May/June delivery. ;)

There are no build dates ever reflected. Mazda only reflects estimated delivery times if the vehicles are not actually at U.S. ports or holding yards. :)

I'm the Sales Manager at the only Mazda dealership in Fort Worth, Texas. We're able to pretty much serve the entire Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and a heck of a lot of surrounding rural areas. :shades:

ZOOM ZOOM
  • Options
    Mazda officially announced yesterday that there will not be a 2007 Tribute. I guess Mazda really wants to concentrate more on their own vehicle, CX-7, rather then the Ford clone.
    However, there is still a chance the Tribute will stay alive. There is talk about releasing a completely redesigned 2008 Tribute sometime in early 2007.
  • Options
    Hi Mike:

Thanks for the info...it really is great to hear from somebody who has the inside track on this stuff...I could use a little help here to determine what the sell price would be on the new CX-7 that I placed my order on, without knowing what the thing was going to cost me. What can I expect my dealer to try to hit me up for? keep in mind that you are the sales manager of a Mazda dealership.

I only deal with the General Manager of the dealership where I buy my cars. This is going to be my 6th Mazda from this dealership in a 5 year period. I've purchased 2-626's, 2-Millinia's, and most recently I purchased a 2005 Tribute S, fully loaded. I am definately a repeat customer, who forwards quite a few referrals to the dealership.

I ordered the CX-7 Grand Touring package, with the Navigation option, AWD, wheel locks, and winter floor mats, in the Copper-red metallic finish. :)

I will be trading in a 2002 Millinia S, with the two-tone Pearl White Metallic finish, 46K for milage, in excellent condition. Just put on a new set of Dunlops's, all new brake's and rotors, within the past 60 days. It has the 6 CD Bose system, and I keep it in pristine condition, having it detailed professionally every 6 months. The retail on this car in the Boston area per KBB is around $17K, what can I expect in trade?? :confuse:
  • Options
    I have a 2002 Milli S, with the miller cycle engine which requires premium fuel, so it's not going to be any different for me. Also, the MPG on the two, in comparison is of little difference to me. I guess I'm just accustomed to the premium fuel cost, and don't have a problem with it....
  • Options
    rogueangelrogueangel Member Posts: 6
    Will Mazda release any pre-info to current Mazda owners/leaseholders? :confuse:

I have a 2002 Tribute lease which is up on 5/21....

I would like to look into leasing this new vehicle as a repalcement..

Does, did, Mazda offer any incentives to current owners? :)

Thanks
  • Options
    Here is a video of the new CX-7 driving around..

http://www.fusionunleashed.com/index.php?categoryid=13
  • Options
    cowbellcowbell Member Posts: 125
    Not to start up all the venom again, but I think the CX-7 stands up very well when it comes to pricing. I compared it to the Rav4 and the Murano with as similar features as I could find. Now I don't compare all three because the Murano comes standard with a 7" LCD display, and the RAV4 doesn't have one as an option. I got the prices (which are MSRPs) from the manufacturers' websites.

CX-7 vs. RAV4
    with approx equal Horse Power and torque and AWD
    with leather, moonroof, 6CD stereo, and towing package.
    CX-7 : 29,680
    RAV4 : 30,055

CX-7 vs. Murano
    with approx equal horse power and torque
    with leather, moon roof, navigation, cargo net & tray, and high-intensity headlights
    CX-7 : 32,735
    Murano : 37,775

I'd say Mazda has done a very good job pricing this competitively.
  • Options
    Thanks. That is exactly the comparison information that I am looking for. I would never purchase a RAV 4, and the Murano just doesn't do it for me. I've been a real Mazda man for the past 6+ years, and it is going to be very difficult for another manufacture to pursuade me to change.
  • Options
    simagicsimagic Member Posts: 84
    Does anybody know anything about the cx-9????????
  • Options
    I agree, in fact I thought it was going to start at $30k. For that much you can get one pretty darn well equipped.

-juice
  • Options
    Does anybody know anything about the cx-9????????

Since everything is purely speculation, which is so much fun :D , no one really knows anything. Mazda is usually tight-lipped about new vehicles. However, I do think there is a possibility that the CX-9 will debut at the NY auto show in April. That is where the MX-Crossport (CX-7) concept was shown. Why I say this is because the CX-9 will be only offered in North America, or so the rumor goes, because we will no longer see the MPV. What better stage is there then the NY auto show to debut a North American only vehicle?? IMO
  • Options
    pisulinopisulino Member Posts: 78
    I will throw the 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander into the equation.
    Have a look at the new style, pricing very similar to Mazda with the exemption that it has 10 year warranty for the the powertrain and 5 years in all the rest.
    A beauty to be discovered.

I know, some people say that Mitsubishi is having financial problems...well so does GM, Nissan. (Mitsubishi is one of the largest conglomerates of Companies in the world - aerospace, banking, food, mining, etc.) so they'll be around.

I have both the CX-7 and 2007 Mitsubishi in mind.....we'll see later this year about a decision.

Just have a look it may be another option to choose from.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I thought they were bankrupt.
  • Options
    Not quite, but even Finbarr bailed after he saw the mess they were in. That guy saved Hyundai from extinction.

-juice
  • Options
    pisulinopisulino Member Posts: 78
    here is the link
    http://outlander.jp/

and if you want to know more about Mitsubishi....

http://www.mitsubishi.com/php/users/category_search.php?lang=1

Do you think they will go bankrupt???? lol
  • Options
    size isnt any indication of financial health....look at the worlds largest automaker. Mitsu came very close to leaving the US market last year and they are still debating the topic. Their future in the US is certainly a topic of discussion.
  • Options
    We used to carry a Mitsu franchise. We dumped it because of their troubles. Not only are they in financial trouble, but, are no longer building competitive vehicles as a whole (style, performance, reliability). Granted, Mitsu's do have an average track record.
    I would not count on Mitsu being here in 4 years. That would leave your warranty null, with no one here to back it.
  • Options
    dripgossdripgoss Member Posts: 7
    I'm very interested in the CX-7 and have been doing a ton of research on this and comparable crossovers coming in the next 2 years.

I have a few questions for the Mazda fans on this forum though:

• Any thoughts on how the CX-7 will stack up to the new Hyundai Santa Fe? I'm concerned about safety, features, power, warranty, etc. Speculation, anecdotal or hard facts - whatever your thoughts.

• Is the CX-7 based on Ford platform or not? I keep hearing conflicting reports on this.

• What's Mazda reliability like generally? Any potential problems I don't know about (never owned a Mazda)?

Thanks in advance guys and thanks for all the great info up here!
  • Options
    redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
    Drip, I've owned 3 Mazdas...all trouble free. They were the MX6, Protege and a 626. The first 2 I put way over 200,000 miles, the 626 had over 100,000...I traded it in on a Mountaineer. I love the space of the SUV, but I should have never traded in the 626. The engineering and
    reliability can't be beat. I suggest you ask Audia aka
    Rich, he'll give you honest information.