Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

1222324252628»

Comments

• carnut21carnut21 Member Posts: 38
    I think you can do a little better on the 07 model. The 07's have a $2,500 rebate and the 08's have $1,750 rebate. The Nissan should be a far better buy than the Toyota and you will also have a better truck.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    The Nissan should be a far better buy than the Toyota and you will also have a better truck.

Since no Tacoma owners have chimed in, I guess they agree with you. :blush:

Was there any upgrades/fixes on the 2008 Fronty that I shouldn't miss out on?

Many thanks!
  • ksenatorksenator Member Posts: 4
    I have a 05 DC LB 4X4 Tacoma. The manual indicates a 850 payload capacity. I want to put a cab over camper on the back. I noticed the Froniter in the same configuration has a 1392 payload

Can this be accurate?, is there that big a differece and if so does anyone know why??

At only 850 pounds I dont think I can do the camper thing with my truck and I go places to tight to tow a trailer
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    Try checking out the 4 wheel campers site. Some of their ultra light pop-ups weigh in at a measly 600 lbs. or so. I own a 07 crew cab Frontier Nismo 4x4 and have considered putting one of their campers on when I'm through using my truck to haul around my construction gear.
  • bigdave5bigdave5 Member Posts: 2
    THERE IS NO COMPARISON. Tacoma wins hands down!
  • hounddog69hounddog69 Member Posts: 34
    I have a 1994 Nissan King Cab that I bought new in 1994. It now has 355,000 miles with the original engine. It runs but won't pass smog unless I fix it and I don't want to put any more money in it. I figure I would try out a Tacoma this time around.
  • mattsowellmattsowell Member Posts: 1
    Hi There,
    I have been looking at buying a 2010 Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma and I wanted to know how your frontier has been treating you. I cant make up my mind but have to purchase in the next week.If you can let me know I would appreciate it. [email protected]
  • daileyaddaileyad Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2010
    So, long story short, I negotiated an actual contract with a toyota dealership and a nissan dealership, here are the numbers:

Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab 4WD with SR5 Package:
    MSRP: $29,700
    Invoice: $27,851
    Negotiated Price: $27,431
    Trade in value (2004 Pontiac Vibe): $6800

options:
    Tow package
    Alloy wheels
    Daytime running lights
    Floor mats
    Remote keyless entry
    Cruise control
    Sliding rear window
    Cloth seats
    Leather-wrapped steering with audio controls
    Backup camera
    AM/FM CD

Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4WD LE with LE Truck Package
    MSRP: $31,775
    Invoice: $29,452
    Negotiated price: $27,040 (after $2000 rebate)
    Trade in value (2004 Pontiac Vibe): $7000

options:
    Alloy wheels
    Automatic headlights
    Floor mats
    Remote keyless entry
    Cruise control
    Leather heater power seats
    Leather-wrapped steering with audio controls
    Spray on bedliner
    Roof rack
    Step rails
    Bluetooth
    Rockford Fosgate with AM/FM/ 6-CD changer and satellite radio

Drove home today in my new Nissan Frontier and I love it!
  • onoffroadonoffroad Member Posts: 17
    Both: Could get at Edmunds price! Better trade-in deal at Nissan! Better Truck! SE Crew Cab 4x4!22.5 MPG at 65,70%-30 driving ! My Toyota Tacoma 4x4 ext. cab 4cyl.,manual didn't get that good!
  • chukar1chukar1 Member Posts: 7
    What state did you get your toyota? I am having a horrible time getting them to come down. Got them to $300 over invoice but they won"t drop the TDA, dealer holdback or Wholesale financial charge (all gravy to them). Now he wants to charge us to get the color we want in. We are looking at an Access cab, V6, AT, SR5 with SL 4x4. vs a Frontier King cab, LE with value pkg. Nissan sure seems like they want our business a lot more. Just concerned about the longevity and quality of a Nissan truck vs Toyota. We love our Xterra but that's a whole different classification. Do you still love your truck?
    We're in eastern washington. I just got the best price from surrounding areas then took that to our local dealership that I knew would bargain from my knowledge of when we bought our last toyota.
    I am in central wa. So how did you get out of paying the dealer holdback or wholesale financial charge or the TDA? (they all add up to about $1200) Does your rig have any SL pkg on it or other pkgs? We went to spokane, they jumped at my first offer but then I realized we offered too much ($500 over invoice= what a car buyer could get us), got him down to $300 but still felt that was to much so walked away. I don't think Costco would be any better. Came back to the local dealer, he said they could match the $300 but we would have to pay to get a trade shipped in (NOT!), if they had to trade for a color or pkg. Have been at this a couple of months, really tired of all this but will continue to play the game. the hour they have spent with us is not worth the $1000s extra they want.
  • onoffroadonoffroad Member Posts: 17
    Gave edmunds quote to Nissan&Toyota sale manager(Internet) ! All was done over the phone ! Both would sell it at Edmunds price ! Got manager name,took print out to Dealerships ! The truck that I wanted was in other state they traded trucks,so my truck had little over 300 miles on it ! Truck was drove back ! Great,got color & truck that i wanted !! The auto that i bought before this through the internet & phone also was in other city ! Got quote,then local dealer when got the car at lower price for me ! Live outside Charleston S.C. !
    The truck we were looking at had the SR5 package (SL) on it. We did not end up purchasing a toyota because of the limited supply of 2010's left with just the base SR5 package and none of the colors were acceptable to us and it was too late for a factory order. We submitted requests to dealers from Seattle, Portland, and all across Washington. Once we had the lowest price from those, we went back to the 2 dealerships that seemed to be most competitive in price (which were Doxon Toyota and Appleway Toyota) and tried to get them to beat our lowest price. Hope that helps
    thanks, it does.
    Forgot to add that the local Nissan dealer was doing a factory repair on the crew cab LE we wanted to test. Said it would be done Wed afternoon, and we set up a time to come in on Thurs. Got there, they gave us the run around, they had sold it. Didn't even bother to call. They just lost our business. Tired of this stuff, so really appreciate your input. What Nissan dealer did you end up using?
  • yellowrubiyellowrubi Member Posts: 1
    Compared Tacoma and Frontier. Low-Mid range priced Tacoma or Fully Loaded LE Frontier was the choice.

It was no comparison. Power - Frontier, Style - Frontier, Creature comforts - Frontier.
    First trip with Truck averaged 20+ mpg on hilly highway driving. Roof rack holds canoe, sunroof feature a plus, leather seats and adjustable seats all out sold Toyota model.

We are neighbors to the Toyota dealer 1 mile away and visited often to try to make a deal. They kept calling back offering "USED" Toyota Trucks with 30,000 miles. We made an ONLINE purchase at the Nissan Dealership and have yet to visit the dealer. The salesperson drove the truck to our house and drove away our trade. This service can't be beat.

We purchased the NEW 2010 Frontier LE 4x4 Crew Cab loaded for the same price as the "VERY USED" Tacoma's and are very pleased with our decision.

Towing is great, power is great, acceleration is great, comfort great, Nissan Dealer (Abeloff) was great.
  • ken_nhken_nh Member Posts: 2
    In July I purchased a new 2010 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X4 replacing my 2001 Frontier. No complaints there- just wore out. But with the new purchase I quickly discovered that when stopped on a hill, while in drive, the vehicle rolls backwards. It will similarly roll forward if in reverse and stopped when backing up.
    I now know there is a “Hill start assist” that allows the driver to stop on an incline, release the brake and not roll back for two seconds.” See manual p.5-37. But after two seconds the vehicle rolls as if in neutral and will roll backwards unimpeded. Some assist. As effective as the Emperor’s New Clothes.

Unaware of this “assist” I reported the problem to the dealership (who I have worked with satisfactorily for 20 years) and I was told to bring it in. After their review – of which the tech guy tested another new vehicle and discovered it rolled back as well - I was informed that “the vehicle was operating normally.” The Service Manager told me that when on a hill I would have to “two pedal it.”

I contacted the Nissan North America consumer affairs department and asked “Why does Nissan think that a transmission design that has their vehicles rolling backwards (or forwards) when on hills is acceptable? Why is there not a bright light warning to consumers/owners?” After three months I am waiting for an answer.

My frustration is that I wasn’t informed prior to the purchase – and further that the condition is acceptable. Whereas you mention it to anybody and the response is “That’s not right.”

Consequently I have tested a new Toyota Tacoma. It rolls back too.
This discussion has been closed.