Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• tacomantacoman Member Posts: 1
    Guys, listen, and listen closely! Think about who the Tacoma caters too! The Toyota is built for off-road and rugged use in a truck that will undoubtedly last forever; longer than any Chevy or Ford! However, you guys are rating these two trucks (Tacoma and Frontier) based off of "who cares" factors!! Ride comfortability, cabin noise on the highway, roomy interior, and PRICE! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, REMEMBER THAT!!! Toyotas are not cheap for a good reason, they last longer than people!!!! Hey, if you want to worry about dependability, go ahead and get your Nissan, Chevy, or Ford, and when I'm in the shop for a routine oil change, I'll see you getting your second engine or transmission installed!!! HAHAHA!!!! And ad far as off-road, you know as well as I do, nothing beats a TACO! We are the JEEP recovery vehicles! I am the proud owner of a 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 reg. cab with a 3" suspension lift, 33/12.5/15 tires on 15x8 Pro Comp wheels...2.7 cyl DOHC 5 speed manual with 102,000 miles. I wouldn't drive anything else!!!!!
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    i own a chevy!! OWNED 2 NISSANS GREAT TRUCKS!! now a chevy,i hate it !! chevy should work on making a better motor that will better mpgs, the 4.3 stinks real bad!!toy& Nissan have more hp and they even get better mpg then i do,something wrong with this picture. wake up and smell the coffee chevy!!!
    I would never boy another chevy truck AGAIN!! ONE PLUS THE STERO AND AC ROCK,THE SEAT SIT SO DARN LOW,I THOUGHT I WAS SITTING IN 2WD TRUCK,SO I SIT ON A PILLOW NOW. :(
  • nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    I bought an 05 Tacoma five months ago and I've had enough of it. I've had every one of the common problems people report with the truck--cab mount bolt rattle, windshield water leak, brake shudder, acceleration vibration, and worst of all severe paint chipping. All I do with it is take it in for service and drive around in a different loaner car every month while I continue to make payments on it. I'm seriously considering trading it in for the Frontier, but I want to know if there are any common problems with the Frontier like there are with the Tacoma. Basically, I just want a truck I can rely on and drive every day, not something I have to take in for service week after week after week. Is that too much to ask for? My truck's currently in the shop for the paint problem (11 days in a loaner car for this problem so far and counting . . . ) and I'm stuck driving a Corolla, but as soon as I get it back I'm going to start looking for a new truck. I'm hoping it'll look presentable enough to sell or trade-in. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the lowest, my Tacoma experience so far has been a big fat ZERO. I don't want to make the same mistake again, which is why I'm asking about the Frontier.
  • matt30matt30 Member Posts: 27
    If you having that many problems trade it in ( although it might cost you). I'm a big tacoma guy but if your having that many problems you should get something you feel more comforable in.

IMO, you'll sacrifce some capability and probably lose the ammount of support (because nissan is a smaller company) but It's statisiclly improbable you would get the same number of problems. (Plus I want a cheap used 2005 tacoma).

If the shop has your car for too long you can get a new one under the lemon laws in your state.
  • stephgstephg Member Posts: 17
    The least they could do is give you a Tacoma or Tundra as a loaner... If you bought it 5 months ago, it was early in the production cycle and they obviously hadn't worked out all the bugs yet. Unless you have to bring it back for the same issues (which you didn't mention), then your dealer seems to be taking care of you. Regardless, it still sucks to have a new truck that's known for reliability but that's been in the shop since you got it...

If you're seriously considering trading it, before you go to Nissan, try getting the dealership to take it back and give you a new one. They can make the first one a demo, and put it back on the lot. If they're confident that it's fixed properly, why wouldn't they take it? The Nissan dealer probably won't give you as much for it as your dealer.

You chose a Tacoma over the Frontier originally, so I suggest you do what you can to stick with a Tacoma... just a few thoughts...
  • jpr_71jpr_71 Member Posts: 10
    After test driving both the Tacoma and Frontier trucks (on 3 occassions at 3 separate dealers) here are my observations: (Tacomas that I drove were access cab 4WD, auto trans with TRD off road #2 package. Frontiers were king cab 4WD, auto trans with NISMO package. Both had the V6)

Engine/Power-
    Nissan felt like it had more guts with crisper shift points. Although, the Toyota felt smoother and seemed like it could rev forever without reaching a red line. The Nissan accelerated quickly, but I'd be willing to bet that the speed was a little deceiving and 0-60 or quarter mile times for both trucks would be very, very close. Both engines had plenty of power and torque.

Suspension/Handling-
    I think both trucks felt solid and could easily handle any terrain. The Tacoma rode a little bit better as the Frontier felt "springy" and bounced around a little bit more. However, the steering in the Frontier felt tighter and not as "loose" as the Tacoma. At highway speed, both trucks were similar.

Exterior-
    This would have to be based on personal preference. The Frontier's front end looks great, but for some unknown reason Nissan decided to leave the rear access door hinges exposed and clearly visible when looking at the truck from the rear. Given this and the way the sheetmetal is formed on the front of the box, it almost reminds me of a Ford Explorer Sport Trac (which isn't a good thing). The Tacomas that I drove were sharp, but in other configurations, they didn't look as good. So again, personal preference.

Interior-
    This is the one category where Toyota is the clear winner. The Tacoma interior was more comfortable, had much more space, and just looked better. I think Nissan built a solid truck with a great powertrain and COMPLETELY missed with the mark with their interior. Things I didn't like aout the Frontier were- no space behind the front seats whatsoever. I am only 5'8" and with the drivers seat comfortably adjusted, I don't know if a set of golf clubs would fit in the back without having to jam and force the bag in. And, don't even think about putting adult (or child) passengers back there. One time, one of my friends went on the test drive and had to sit sideways with his knees in his face. The Tacoma just had a lot more room. Also on the Frontier, the center console arm rest is much lower than the arm rest on the door and sits back too far. This makes the driver feel lopsided when grasping the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and drove me nuts. However, the seats in both trucks were very supportive and comfortable. The Nissan interior also had an overuse of plain black plastic. For example, the entire door panel was plain black plastic. And the dash....plain black plastic. The Tacoma had better trim and finishes on the doors, dashboard, and gauges. The seats in the Tacoma are a little low as some people have stated. I would have to disagree with other complaints about road and wind noise; I thought both trucks were quiet enough and didn't notice anything worth mentioning.

Price-
    A Toyota will cost a grand or two more, but you're getting a bigger, roomier truck with a slightly higher resale...so I'd say both trucks are equal.

Overall-
    Both trucks would be good choice, but I'd have to say the Tacoma is slightly better because of the interior. Nissan greatly improved the '05 model from last year, but just did some things with the interior that I don't understand.
  • skytop1skytop1 Member Posts: 106
    After thoroughly checking out the Tacoma and the Frontier (both Crew cabs 4X4), I am voting with my wallet for a new Frontier LE 4X4. I placed my order today for a new Frontier 4x4 LE Crew cab.
    Why?
    The Nissan is loaded with real engineering merit and sensible designs. The interior is functional, not like the garrish arcade game setup of the Toyota.

The Nissan has 4 wheel disc brakes, not the 1965 drum arrangement of Toyota. Toyota needs to come into the 21st century. Drum brakes?????? Doh! Another hidden cost cutting move by Toyota that the naive truck buyer won't notice. After all, brakes aren't that important, are they? That's what Toyota obviously believes.

The Nissan has a full BOXED frame made of super high tensile strength steel and not a half frame like Toyota. Wait till the Toyota guys twist their body while snagging a heavy tow load. A full frame is ESSENTIAL in a truck. Toyota has a toy mentality. It looks tough but it is a sissy underneath. The Nissan has vitally important curtain air bags, Toyota has zilch. Good luck in an accident if you have a Toyota. Sitting in the Frontier, my left leg can relax and has full room due to engineers providing extra clearance in the door panel. The Frontier has a whopping 3" more hip room than the Toyota which makes for that real comfort while driving. Toyota clearly does not care about comfort and space for American legs as the door panel protrudes into your leg and bruises you on long drives. The cargo box track sliding mechanism in the Frontier is SUPER heavy duty and super trick. The Toyota track is pure Mickey Mouse crap. Really, it is small, dinky and quite a laughable arangement.

The drive experience of the Nissan was more responsive, better feedback steering control, more responsive braking than the Toyota. Its got an enlarged free breathing engine with CONTINUOUSLY variable valve timing and variable intake manifold based on the 350Z class engine. That's what Porsche and Ferrari does on its engines to help generate more power grunt with better economy. There is even two cigarette outlets in the dash (switched and always on) for accessories. Nice. The radio sounds wonderful and even has a knob to tune stations instead of the insideous all digital rocker button nonsense. Toyota sings the tune but does not walk the walk. The Toyota engineers are mainly about marketing the 'look' but not the machine. The clear proof of this statement is the hood scoop on the high end sport models. It is there but it is totally cosmetic, it does not work, it does not help, it is a wart on the hood. Nissan is all about performance and pure engineering design in my book. Toyota has succumbed to just trying to suck in the weak minded and inexperience people to buy the sizzle and not care about the steak. No flames please. This entire post is based on my experience over the past week conscientiously comparing the two vehicles. Nissan is a clearly a better vehicle than its comparable Toyota model, hands down.
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    i am sorry you feel so strongly against toyota, i proudly own a 05 tacoma and love every minute of driving it, long drives are very comfortable, i feel i made a very good choice in my purchase. tacoma has side airbags on selected options, just as nissan, tacoma has strong crash test ratings from the nhtsa. i have put 6000 miles on my tacoma in four months and all seems well with no problems, thank you :)
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    I have an LE crew cab V6 auto trans 2 wd with 6500 miles.
    18 mpg worst milage 20mpg best milage on regular gas.
    I love this truck Nissan got it right.
    Michael from florida
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I am a proud owner of a 05 trd sport a/t dc I did went around and looked at both and I have to admit that Nissan and Toyota are both great trucks.In regard the toyota having drum brakes in the rear other than having too many moving parts
    the performance is as good as disc remember that your truck will brake using the front about 70%and the rear 30%.
    greetings fig.
    BJW1:
    I am not strongly against Toyota as you erroneously state. They build a fine quality vehicle.
    In this case however, I feel that after comparing the Tacoma to the Frontier, Toyota seriously falls short in major areas. Mind you, these are actual shortcommings, not subjective opinions or groundless reasons. The frame, the brakes, the interior room, the engine, the traction controls, lack of roof rack, weak cargo box rail system, failure to offer curtain air bags (which save your life!), all combine to cause me to discount the value of the Toyota and select the Nissan. No frame, no air bags, and drum brakes put the kabosh on Toyota Tacoma. There's no denying these major defects in the Toyota design.

Prior to this, I always favored Toyota. Now, after investigation, I find that Nissan has emerged as the leader through brute engineering skill and providing real added value for their customers.
    BTW, when I first went to the Toyota dealer after seeing the Nissan dealer, the operations manager at Toyota asked me what I was compaing their Tacoma to. When I replied a Nissan Frontier, he actually sneered at me and then snickered. I was indignant at his rudeness and asked him to verbalize his obvious feelings and not sniker in my face. He remained silent. This is not a good sign at Toyota. His arrogance is ungrounded and totally misplaced. Dealers must uphold a respectful demeanor or out the door I go. Best of luck and enjoy your new Toyota.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Obviously, you just have a personal preference to the Toyota.

I noticed that for every "positive" of the Nissan, you dismissed it as unimportant or of no value and found no faults in the Toyota.

(Frontier not really as fast at it seems. Toyota not really any noisier etc.)
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    I'm researching a lot before I buy. I'm under 3 years till retirement and my next truck maybe my last. I'm an avid surf fisherman and run sandy beaches of
    VA,NC,SC alot. My truck must have torque sand bogs down the 4 cyl. XE 4X4 and
    I have to really get into it in lose sand., I have marked off the Honda because it has
    ALL/WD and doesn't offer low range. I'm down to Dodge,Nissan and Toyota. Shame about Honda though thier quality is right there with the Toy. Like Dakota but leary of buying Chrysler product,they don't have track as good as TOY, or Nissan. Have seen both Frontire & Tacoma both are outstanding trucks, Toy has better reliability record then Nissan,but I've seen many Nissans P/U's with a Zillion miles on them also. Price Nissan is cheaper and is quite a good buy, the Toy has the Rep for toughness, do I want to pay the extra $2000.00 for a Toyota comprably equiped, don't know thats why I'm reading thread here. Great Thread Here!

Good 4X4ing
    GIT 'R DONE!
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    Had an 01 Silverado Z71 4x4 extended cab that I traded for an 05 Frontier NISMO CC 4x4. Silverado was a great truck, decent mileage from the 5.3 (14-16 vs. EPA 15-18). I wanted a narrower truck with better off-road capability.
    Short list was Tacoma, Frontier, and Ridgeline. Colorado looks good but I agree with the press that it is nowhere near the competition. Dakota was impressive but lacks ground clearance, and power output from Dakota V8’s is less than Toyota, Nissan, and Honda V6’s.
    Tacoma was cut because it uses premium vs. regular, back seat folding is not as flexible as Honda and Nissan, real-world back seat room is less than Honda and Nissan, and lowest point on the undercarriage is the central exhaust crossmember, so despite having the highest body clearance, the exhaust will be damaged when off-roading. Toyota owner’s forums report a lot of quality problems with the 05 Tacoma. If I were looking at Tacoma, I would consider an 04 before an 05.
    Honda and Nissan were my final two. I am biased towards Honda because of previous good experience with an 02 Odyssey, 04 Accord, and 05 Odyssey. Went to the Ridgeline press introduction in January; before they chased me out I learned the undercarriage of the Ridgeline is virtually identical to the MDX and Pilot: this vehicle is not made for real off-roading. The exhaust is the lowest point from front to rear, and the brake lines run along the bottom of the frame rails. If you “ride the rails” off road like I do, you will do serious damage and disable the vehicle. In addition, the AWD system has serious limitations for true off-roading. The Ridgeline had trouble hill climbing at Honda’s own press introduction, and I believe Edmunds abandoned the off-road portion of their Ridgeline test. Off-roading aside, Ridgeline owner’s are reporting some initial quality problems (check vtec.net), but nowhere near the problems Tacoma owners are having. If I were not interested in off-roading, I would have had a hard time choosing between the Ridgeline and the Frontier. Ridgeline is wider, has more back seat room, a better center console, and the in-bed trunk is quite useful. Frontier is a “true” truck with incredible off-road hardware, amazing power on regular gas, great bed-features with util-track, and more availability of aftermarket parts.
    I’ve had my 05 NISMO CC 4x4 since late January. About 9000 miles now. EPA 15-20, actual 16-18. I can get the mileage as low as 13 when off-roading, or as high as 19-20 when cruising under 70. Most of my in-town tanks are 16-17; freeway at 75-85 comes in at 17-18. The built in mileage computer is VERY accurate, always within a couple tenths of what I measure manually.
    The engine rattle was minor and I probably wouldn’t have squawked about it if I wasn’t aware of the TSB from reading this forum. I sit with the seat all the way back and have a bit of a blind spot when changing lanes to the left as compared to my Silverado. I’m still waiting for someone to make an aftermarket lift-kit to go with the new 05 suspension design; the off-road capability of the stock hardware exceeds the available ground clearance.
    Overall, this is an awesome truck that is one of the best kept secrets out there. MT picked the Tacoma for dubious reasons, which has helped Tacoma sales. Everyone else has picked either the Ridgeline or Frontier. Off-roading leaves the Ridgeline out, but otherwise I would look closely at both the Honda and Nissan to see which you like better. The 05 Frontier is my first Nissan in 23 years, and I like it better everyday.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Tacoma does not require premium
    According to Toyota and every review I have read, the 05 Tacoma V6 requires premium. Has Toyota changed their recommendation?
  • lshipmanlshipman Member Posts: 3
    Back in 2001 when I was ready to purchase my first brand new truck, I wanted to consider Nissan, but they had switched to that UGLY front end (IMHO) and my wife was sold on Toyota name for quality and maintaining value. Guys at work and on the Internet said the 22R engine was the best and one guy at work has over 400,000 miles on his Toy w/ 22R. So we purchased a 2001 Tacoma with 2.7 A/T 4x4 Access Cab. I could not believe it had drum brakes in the rear when everyone else including F-150's had 4 wheel discs! One day I wanted to wash it. I started it to move it in the driveway and shut it off. Afterward, I tried starting it and it wouldn't start! I had it towed to the dealer 35 miles away only to be told it flooded! A fuel injected rig FLOODED! I was told that problem began showing up in 2001 engine. There was also another problem. When I started it, the engine would clack like it was a diesel! Another trip to the dealer shop only to be told it was perfectly normal for a little "piston slap" when the engine was cold. It also bounced all over the highway and was gutless as heck (my fault for buying a/t). So I just traded it in 2 weeks ago for a 2005 Nissan Frontier LE 4x4 a/t KC. All I have to say is OMG!!! Now THIS is a truck! This thing hauls butt in any gear, up hills no problem. They got it right with the 5 speed automatic. First tune-up is not until 105,000 (my Toy needed it every 30,000). The ride is smooth and quiet and POWERFUL. If there are a couple of boneheads plugging up the fast lane and don't have the sense to move over and I see a gap...ZIP...in nothing flat, I'm around them and GONE! 4 wheel discs w/ ABS, throaty sounding muffler tells you "WHO'sYOUR DADDY!!!" Seats are comfortable and the cabin is so quiet, my wife practically falls asleep everytime we go somewhere. Factory spray-in liner w/ utilitrack system is great! Uses regular gas and I am getting between 17 and 18 mpg average. Toyota screwed me once and maybe they got a little better in '05, but they won't get my business again! I'm sold on Nissan!
  • imin2mximin2mx Member Posts: 27
    I don't know how you could consider the Tacomas' frame weak. I witnessed a dealer demonstration in Jacksonville FL where they had the Tacoma and all of the competition (including Nissan) with one wheel on a ramp. The intent is to show body flex. The Tacoma was the only truck that you could open the doors and tailgate on. On most, if you got the door open, it wouldn't shut.
    BYW, side curtain airbags are an option.
    I've had Toyota's for years and love them. I also had Nissans. Currently, I have a 2005 Tacoma 4 door TRD sport and a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder Limited. To me, the quality of the Toyota is unmatched. My old Tacoma had 240K on it and was never in the shop. Right now, the Pathfinder is in the shop for a check engine light and the Navigation System has a busted button ($3000 to Fix!). The nissan only has 70K on it and just doesn't see to be holding up well.
    You don't have to use Premium fuel in the Tacoma. They recommend it for maximum performance, but you can run regular. I usually run 89 and get around 21 MPG.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "I don't know how you could consider the Tacomas' frame weak."

How does it tow 6500 with a weak frame?

What's the Frontier's tow rating?
    Yes, side curtain air bags are an option. So, what is your point? Air bag curtains are an extra cost option typically on all vehicles except the ultra luxury cars like Mercedes, Beemer, Lexus. We are talking about small trucks that can crumple like an empty cigarette pack when involved in accidents. Side air bags are ESSENTIAL. Those that don't acknowledge this fact are bone heads and leave themselves and their occupants at serious risk.

You completely and deliberately side step the point. Toyota does not even offer air bags. That is a critical shortcomming. Nissan wisely offers them and at a very fair price to help save occupants from deadly or critical bodily harm.
    I am not attacking Toyota but only stating the serious and glaring differences between the Toyota's vehicle and Nissan's. Please don't respond defensively, for you are wasting your time. There is not need for it.
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    Toyota does offer side curtain airbags on 05 Tacomas.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    As a fairly new member I have had to spend 3 nights reading this thread to read all of
    the posts. I have found a lot of good information along with some just as soon not read
    matter.

Two months ago I went through this same process of picking a new truck. I looked at
    several different trucks, but only drove the Tacoma and the Frontier. At my age I do
    not any longer drive hard so I found it difficult to tell one drove better than the other.

As a little background I have owned 2 Toyotas and 8 Datsun/Nissans. I had a 1969
    Toyota Crown new. I kept it 6 months and got rid of it as it was in the shop more than it was in my garage. My wife now drives a 2000 Solara which is probably the nicest car
    we have ever owned. we have also gotten more compliments on how nice it looks than
    any other car we have owned. We have had it 5 years and had to do nothing to it, but drive it and enjoy it.

I have had 5 Datsun/Nissan cars and have never had any trouble other than normal
    maintenance on any of them. I have had 3 Datsun/Nissan trucks. A 1977 KC that I
    drove for 24 years and 175,000 miles. I had to replace a couple of water pumps and
    generators, but nothing serious. I had a 2000 XE KC which I kept for 5 years and
    20,000 miles. Again no problems with it. The only reason I don't still own it is the fact
    that it did not have enough power with the automatic transmission and the air.

I don't think in this discussion we should even consider the looks as they are purely a
    matter of personal taste. It seems like the majority on this thread think the Tacoma is
    the best looking. I on the other hand think the Frontier is better looking by far. Just
    because I like the Frontier does not make it better looking.

I actually was leaning toward the Tacoma because I liked the bed set up much better.
    I thought the Nissan utili-trac system looked a bit too much for the size of the truck
    and I thought the bed material in the Tacoma looked better. I also liked the tailgate on
    the Tacoma better, It had a counter balance system that made it very easy to use.
    On the other hand the Frontier tailgate was very heavy to lift and it has that ugly plas-
    tic in the middle of it, a definite turn off for me.

I am 67 years old, 5' 7 1/2" tall, and weigh 133 pounds. That is probably why I found the tailgate to be a problem on the Frontier.

As much as has been said about the interior of the Tacoma being so much better, I did
    not like it as well as the Frontier. I found the seats in both to be acceptable, although
    neither were nearly as comfortable as the seats in my wife's Toyota Solara. Yes I know
    it is a car and not a truck.

When I compared the dealers although neither were what I would call really good the edge did go to the Nissan dealer. None of the salesmen knew very much about their
    products. I took the brochures of both and read them and no smarter than I am I knew
    more about their trucks than they did.

I found the Toyota brochure to be very difficult to read and pick out the options I want-
    ed. I was also daunted at every turn on both when I wanted one thing and had to take
    something else I didn't want to get the one thing I did want. I loved the good old days when you could go to the dealer and order each item you wanted separately. I guess
    you would call that a line item veto.

The clincher was the price. Toyota offered me a little over $5000 which was not even wholesale on my 2000 Nissan. It was low miles and hardly a scratch on it. They did say that they would knock $1000 off the list price of the Tacoma.

Nissan allowed me $10,000 on my XE plus they knocked $1100 off of the list on their
    Frontier. They also offered to let me have several accessories I wanted at their cost.

I did not see about $6000 difference in the two trucks, especially when the Frontier has
    more options on it than the Tacoma. I don't think resale would ever make up that differ-
    ence.

Having said all of that they are both nice trucks and I am sure I could be happy with
    either one. I'll have to say that of all of the trucks that I have owned this Frontier has
    gotten more compliments than all of the others together. At this rate we will receive
    more compliments on it than on the Solara.

Let's all be happy with what we have and be even happier for those who have chosen
    the brand we didn't.

Gerald
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    Thank you Gerald!

Well said enjoy your new truck.
  • aztechianaztechian Member Posts: 31
    I recently bought the Tacoma and my owners manual states the fuel type as regular unleaded. I asked the dealer about it at purchase (I had heard the same "Premium Recommended") and they said no way. You could run premium and maybe get a little perfomance boost, but it is built for regular.
    Have you actually sat in and driven a Tacoma and Frontier for comparison or just looked at brochures and pictures?.....just wondering how the Frontier interior has more space and room and is more functional than Tacoma??? I guess it's a good thing that those Nissan engineers thought of using a flat slab of plastic for the door panels.....now all those drivers that drive with their leg glued into the door rather than keeping their foot on the floor push pedal or clutch pedal will be much happier????? huh?
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "I recently bought the Tacoma and my owners manual states the fuel type as regular unleaded. I asked the dealer about it at purchase (I had heard the same "Premium Recommended") and they said no way."

Which engine do you have?

The manual that came with my '05 V6 Access Cab clearly 'sez "91 Octane Recommended"

The two different available engines have different fuel requirements.
  • aztechianaztechian Member Posts: 31
    I have the '05 DC TRD Sport. From page 380 of my owners manual:
    Fuel Type: 1GR-FE engine -
    Unleaded gasoline, Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended.

For some info on Octane ratings and what you get "at the pump":
    Chevron Motor Gas Technical Review
    Wikipedia article on petrol
    Google search it

From the articles, what you get at the US gas pump as "regular unleaded" is what the manual considers "Octane Rating 87" (the Road Octane Number). The Research Octane Number is typically used outside North America. I could see how this all would be confusing as saying 91 when referring to Research Octane Number coincidentally is the Road Octane Number corresponding to "Premium" fuel.

Bottom line: '05 Tacoma takes regular. You can use premium if you like for better performance, in fact, it's not a bad idea while towing or other strenuous activities.
  • gilliesgillies Member Posts: 2
    I live in the Republic of Panama and am trying to make a decision for a new truck. The Toyota Hi lux (4x4) has a 2.5 liter turbo diesel with a single cab and sells here for $19,500. The Nissan Frontier(4x4) also with a single cab has a 3.2 liter naturally aspirated diesel and sells for $16,900. The Toyota diesel has a timing belt that needs to be replaced every 100,000K whereas the Nissan diesel has gears. Toyota just changed this year to a turbo. In the past they used a 2.8 liter naturally aspirated diesel which also had the belt. Toyota is the number one seller here but I am leaning towards the Frontier because of price and the fact that a turbo is more expensive to repair if there are any problems. It seems the Frontier can carry a bigger load. Both trucks have 5 speed manual transmissions. Because of fuel costs almost all new trucks are diesel here. I would appreciate any ones opinion.
  • etoilebetoileb Member Posts: 34
    Timing belt replacement is standard on most Toyota's - no big deal.

Over here in Europe the HiLux 2,5d is an icon If you don't believe me check out this link and click on the Toyota HiLux photo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads/

Both are excellent trucks.
    Taking into account Toyota's recommendations and all the auto magazine reviews, it sounds like to get the full 245 hp from the Tacoma V6 you need premium, but you can run regular and settle for less power. For awhile Honda and Acura had a similar thing going where you got 10-15 more hp by running premium; I think most of the newer Hondas and Acuras are tuned for maximum performance with regular.

The 05 Frontier is tuned for maximum performance on regular. IIRC, there is a guy (reverendbiker) on the Nissan forums who has done dyno tests of the 05 Frontier V6 and measured no performance gains on premium, so it lived up to Nissan's claim of max performance on regular. Anyone seen any performance tests on how much of the 245 hp you lose running the Tacoma on regular?
  • na_alii90na_alii90 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased an 05 Frontier King Cab 2WD. Since this is my first truck purchase I wanted to research the differences between Toyota and Nissan. After about a month of reading reviews, spec's, and talking with a friend (a member of TTORA, AZ chapter), I decided to go out and test drive some trucks.

Since I don't go off roading I was looking for a truck that looked good, had good pick up with gas mileage, and to haul stuff when I need to for home projects. So the models I test drove was the 2.5 Frontier King 5SPD, 2WD, and 2.7 5SPD Tacoma Access Cab. First, I want to mention that between these two models the Tacoma offered more options ( swing out rear qrtr windows, limited slip diff, power windows, telescopic steering adjustment, etc.). The Tacoma had a smoother ride with no noticeable bounce. Although the Tacoma has 10 more HP/Torque@600rpms lower, the Frontier defintely had better acceleration from a stop. Both trucks felt equally comfortable but the Frontier sits higher. Which made it feel more like a truck than a car. For the exterior the Tacoma has more color options, but the Frontier has a more of a truck look. Probably because of the higher ground clearance and bigger tires. The Tacoma's interior and gauges looked nicer over the Frontier.

At first this was a hard decision until I went to three Toyota dealerships and received poor customer service. First they wanted to give me less on my trade than the listed KBB trade in value. Then, they tried to pressure me by sending out another sales person, following two sales managers, and a finance manager. Finally, they wanted me to look at the certified used trucks.

I only visited two Nissan delearships and both were great. The last delearship especially. The whole process from the time I got out of my car to delivery took 2 hours, and I only meet with sales and finance. They gave me full trade in value and $300 about invoice.

As for reliability, I feel both are about equal for my purpose. I owned a Toyota and a Nissan in the past with no problems. Also, my father in law had an 81 Nissan truck until recently. That truck never gave him any problems. He retired it not because it wouldn't run, but because Hawaii have annual vehicle safety inspections, and it would cost more than the truck is worth to pass inspection. If it was here AZ it would still running.
  • gilliesgillies Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. I think I will go for the Frontier mainly because of the price difference. Also the new Hilux is now for the first time being assembled in Argentina whereas the Frontier is 100% Japanese. At least this is true for the models being sold here in Panama.
    Toyota is great truck,But Nissan will deal more and you get about as good a truck
    at better price. Toyota dealers have a take it or leave attitude. Nismo is awesome
    offroad truck at a good price.

Git'r DONE!
    Toyota is real good no doubt,But 2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo is much different then
    past Nissans not that there bad. I have 1994 Nissan XE 4X4 with 5 speed / 163,000
    miles. I've looked and drove the Toy TRD and Frontier Nismo both king cab auto 4X4 and they are very close believe it. Nissan has little more power,but still close.
    I'm leaning toward the Nismo to replace my 1994. The Nismo is just a better buy,Toyota dealers won't deal as much and their truck isn't any better now if at all.
    2005 Nismo is awesome truck, will probably get one before months up. But it's all
    taste if you like the Toy buy it, I just think Nissan is as good and better price.

GIT'R DONE!
  • kittythedogkittythedog Member Posts: 5
    I drove a Frontier 2WD and a Tacoma PreRunner today and the Tacoma seemed to be way rougher on the bumpy roads; I was getting carsick in the driver's seat. Can anyone tell me how the suspension compares on the Frontier Nismo 4X4 and the Tacoma TRD OffRoad pkg 4X4? I don't like being carsick.

I am leaning towards the Frontier because of the price and being able to see over the hood. I was happy to see that I am not the only one to notice that! The Tacoma dash does not appeal to me, but that is not a decision-maker.

Also, are there camper shells available for the King Cab Frontier? It seems that Leer and Snugtop only make them for the Crew Cab??

Thanks.
    I thought the NISMO suspension felt stiffer than the TRD. Probably better for off-road, but for highway driving the Tacoma rode better. As I test-drove around the city and hit potholes or crossed a set of railroad tracks, the Nissan seemed to have more of a jolt. You're right about seeing over the hood on the Tacoma, it's high. Tacoma dash is Ok, but Frontier is LOADED with plain black plastic (in NISMO version.)
  • rutzmanrutzman Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a '05 4x4 Frontier 6spd. I'll have to say I did go in the market leaning towards the Toyota, but the styling(exterior) and interior, not to mention the Ford-like engine compartment (way to big and wasted space) were turn offs. I just traded my '92 Nissan 4x4 2.4 liter 4cyl with 225,000 miles (rot issues, you'd only understand if you live in New England), it was hard to part with, but i wanted to go with a [non-permissible content removed] Truck no doubt. The Nissan seemed to hold onto its old stylish values. I'll have to say since the time I acquired my old nissan I did admire the toyota trucks through the 90's thats why when I considered a new 4x4 I leaned to Toy, but again what an ugly truck the '05 is.

what happened to the old 9inch clearance and narrow look. between the Toy and Niss I choose Niss, no problems with my old '92 4x4 , except the regular maintance of brakes, exhaust, etc, never changed the tranny lube or clutch and the original battery lasted 11 yrs. I drove it when it had 140,000 miles to Mexico, then to the pacific Northwest, putting 16,000 miles on it in 2 months. During that trip I drove straight for 23 hours only stopping to gas up (only time to pee) acquiring 1,200 miles. I pushed the 4WD to its limit and it still wouldn't die.

I'd still own my old Nissan if oxidation wasn't a killer of [non-permissible content removed] Trucks, the frame was rotted and cracked, the brake and fuel lines were ready to dissipate. It got to the point , in order to pass MA inspection I would have to put more money into it.

Long live Nissan, sorry Toyota people, I tried to kill mine, thats with use , not abuse, and it wouldn't die. I hope with the same luck with my '05
  • streaksstreaks Member Posts: 64
    rutzman said "I did admire the toyota trucks through the 90's thats why when I considered a new 4x4 I leaned to Toy, but again what an ugly truck the '05 is"

Guess all the ppl who said my '05 Taco Off-road is sweet must be blind 'eh?? :mad: .
  • hungkhungk Member Posts: 14
    am on my third Frontier now Just ordered an 05 CC V6 two days ago.
    Im an ex Ford and Chevy mechanic, Now a Machinist . wrenchin just isnt fun any more, drove Chevy most of my life. had a Toy for some time, an SR5 short box. Must say that like the comercials . I had more fun in that thing,,,
    but It wouldnt do what My 68 ford Bronco would . depends on your needs, gettin too work on time Four Diggin or Creature comforts.after many years of workin on them and payin for them, I finally gave up on Chevy. wouldnt even consider a Dodge or a Ford , Same difference,
    I used to size people when they asked me what to buy , and most of the time Id tell them TOY, without a doubt!!!! just for the reliability, but for about 10 years or more Ive felt that Toyota Is running on borrowed time , And have worn out their reputation. so in 2000 I traded my Bronco for a Frontier 4x4 crew cab long box
    then in 2003 bought my wife an Exterra ,and me a new 2003 Crew Cab short box,
    I wanted the Super charger till i heard about the Premium Fuel thing , with Sensors that Know. Im a big guy 6 ft 2 inches and over 250, ive had a lot of minor cimplaints with my 2003 leg room , the bruises on long trips, not enough brakes with a trailer, good mileage, but not much extra pedal when u need it,
    it goes on and on, the hub caps the slots in the console the shifter thats a Switch on the dash now... .DUHHH HHH .. I went and drove a nismo , and was just blown away finally someone made a serious mid sized truck, I opted for a SE 4x4 Crew cab with the power package, and a few amennities but not the ones they want u to buy but the ones I need, nothing more , I was so impressed with things like the dual glove boxes 4 wheel discs which makes all the traction and anti wreck things work. the down hill assist. the hill holder system
    ever since we bought the Exterra , the Ride and cornering ,ground cleareance ive been wanting that in my truck. I think its just ludicruis that Toy is still getting premium $ for what U get , and I feel that they have been riding on the name the built back in the 80s........ with the 3/4 ton truck and the ever enduring cars like the Celica, but im done . Nissan and Yammaha. not Harley. or baseball hotdogs and Chevrolet, I just have to be practicle, now days its about time.......
    reliability, necessity, and money, any thing else Is pay as U go,
    Its about time people figgured out that they cant drive a Chevy on a Volkswagen budget and still make car payments and neglect the important stuff like regular Maintainence, . those people end up riding a Schwin on a volkswagon budget with payments and a great big planter for a Vehicle in their front yard, that they cant afford to get back on the road , cause they jus gotta look kewl in a black z71 chev with a non running Harley in the back................... Dan S
    what are you an english teacher or gear head 4-wheel enthusiasts. are you going to talk shop about your Tonka Toy and walk the walk like us Nissan diehards or criticize some ones spelling. don't waste our time like Toyota has been doing for the last three years
    sorry buddy 'boone", didn't mean to piss you off I wandered in here the other day to gain knowledge about the '05, honestly have i no idea what that guy was communicating. goodluck with your Taco, my other rig is a '48 CJ2A-keep on wheeling-

I think Taco and Niss owners should be proud they don't own some American junk.

;)
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...far more polite ways of expressing confusion. Name-calling is NOT allowed here.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • streaksstreaks Member Posts: 64
    Yeah,lets all play nice!! Toyota,Nissan,Ford,.etc. As I've said before"Whatever blows ur dress up!!" This site is great for help & info...if used properly!! I was a Nissan man for 25 yrs...But, I went to the "dark side". I bought an ' 04 Taco, then traded for the ' 05. I loved my Nissan's( last truck had 244,000 mi) but they gave me some trouble. It was time for a change!! I don't regret for a second..My Black Sand Pearl, Off-Road OG#2, Acc.Cab, V6, 6m is AWESOME!! Turns heads(very few here in Cent. Pa.) & feels like it could climb a tree!! But, you know, if I had bought the Nissan..I probably feel pretty damn good too!! Good Luck to all of you w/ your choice!! Be :shades:
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    No reports yet on 05 Frontier, but the 05 Taco took a hit on JD Power ranking. Lots of mechanical problems. Went from overall 5 star in '04 to 3 star in '05.
    Frontier has Titan frame and under pinnings, Autotranns same as Titan,engine stronger. Nismo gives more standard equipt. more bang for buck. TOY has to many
    options that add up to more then NISMO package. TOYOTA is too too complacent with the take it or leave it attitude. I think 05 Frontier will eat in to their sales with this new truck. 05 Frontier maybe best in class in my book,world a difference from old Hardbody and 04 Frontiers. Don't get me wrong Tacoma is great truck but price
    difference is a deal breaker with me.. NISAN NISMO is great midsize truck & powerfull.
    I owned a '92 Nissan Pickup 4x4 5spd, when I would have my foot in it during shifting and engaged the clutch pedal the rpms of the engine would drop quickly (naturally).

I drove the 05' Nis and Toy 6spd, when accel. to 3000rpms or more for example, after engaging the clutch pedal the rpms wouldn't drop as quickly as my old rig, making shifting a bit more shotty at high rpms levels.

Is there an adjustment for this this the throttle cable etc. to allow the rpms to drop more quickly between gears, any input would be appreciated
  • tjyodertjyoder Member Posts: 22
    Here is some information that I have come across while researching what to buy:

http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=944533

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38259/

As for buying - I recommend only going to a dealer to test drive your vehicle to know what you prefer. The rest do over the internet. They will give you their "internet price" which was the best price I could find.
  • qwert13qwert13 Member Posts: 24
    Concerning the splash guards... If you find yourself having to back-up with your Frontier on gravel/dirt, you'll see that the back tires will throw the stuff onto the lower front of the unprotected overfender chipping the paint. The fact that it is a large flare fender does not prevent this from happening. This is as bad as the Tacoma not having splash guards. Guess the answer is to not back-up while 4-wheeling. I've got the Frontier...
  • qwert13qwert13 Member Posts: 24
    Adding to the previous...
    the Frontier overfenders are bold and awesome...but...
    The lower front of the rear overfender is exposed to rocks hit by the front wheel despite the front wheel splash guard. These bounce back and hit the rear overfender that protrudes unlike other cars/trucks. Take a look at just about any other vehicle out there including the Titan. The Frontier is really flared. I have 4K miles on mine and that section of the rear overfender has approx. 2 dozen hits on each side in a 4 inch diameter area and fewer as you go up on the overfender. So...I should go 5 mph on a gravel road or never go off road to chance a spinning wheel throwing a rock to the rear? I'm getting the step rails ($320) to deflect these rocks and reduce the hits. Again... glance at other vehicles out there and see the step rails/rubber overfenders/rubber side panels to prevent this situation. I want a truck that can go there (like the Frontier), but can also come out without a scratch like a lot of the others. Now...do I spend hours meticulously touching up these chips with touch-up paint or let it go until the area is practically bare and have it repainted? Of those 4K miles, about 10% have been off of pavement and of those 400 miles, less than 100 suggest the use of 4-wheel drive. How about an adhesive type patch that covers this area (black or matching the color). Has anyone else noticed this...and is it just the front wheel doing this or is the back wheel also contributing..?
This discussion has been closed.