Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    I have 94 Nissan XE 4x4 reg cab 4 cyl 5 speed, I have driven 133,000 miles.has been good to me with few exceptions.speedometer 80,000, front breaks a little trouble. It's pretty good little truck,rides rough no power (4 banger). I'm in market for what maybe my last new truck,retiring in 2 years. For me it's tough choice Nissan has been decent,can't kick much. I want extended 4x4 Nismo or Toy TRD.
    I'm avid Surffisherman and run VA & NC beaches alot. My little XE 4 banger bogs
    bad in loose sand at times got to get revs up often.
    Toy has rep for durability & reliability is plus but NISSAN has held up for me,so I'm
    kinda hedging. Nissan Nismo is 1500 to 2000 better in price then TRD is the Toy
    worth the extra $$$$ vs NISMO. Drove a Nismo it has plenty of power,haven't driven
    TRD yet, plan to do so soon. One thing with Toy dealers I'm always put off by thier
    take it or leave approach, thats why I have 94 Nissan TOY dealer pissed me off.
    Anyway given the info I provided I want some feedback from who ever want too!
    Thanks!
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    I hope you go the for the Nissan,I to would of bought a TOy in 89,93 but toy wanted budged a little bit so I gave money to Nissan,I paid 14.500 for my first Nissan in in 1989 it was as se V6(Hardbody)( loaded and it was gear and the (93 Hardboday)was a se V6 and paid 18.500 Toy still wouldn't come down and I'm on the verge of buying my 3rd Frontty since they rock and and look Aewsome!!

Look out Toy their is a new sherffic in Town!!
  • hweaverhweaver Member Posts: 33
    We are trying to decide too...
    My hubby is an active duty officer currently in Iraq till Dec; I want a good deal on a truck for him. He LOVED his 2003 Toyota Tundra w/ SR5 and TRD sport. We bought it for cost minus a $2,500 rebate, we paid $24k. He had 18k miles on it, PERFECT. I'd just added the wheel wells and a line X liner. :(
    But we had a lot of equidy and such, so we sold it and my odyssey to pay cash for my car. So we want a CHEAP payment.
    He loved the drive of the tundra, it was SO smooth, but V8 SUCKS the heck out of gas...15mpg. :(
    The insurance is $$ too...He NEVER off roaded....
    The tacoma has nice features. We are considering a pre runner V4 with SR5. They are $15,200 invoice sticker 16,700. Most dealers are being terrible about anything below sticker; via e-mail that is. I am a TFS customer too (from the tundra). but that only gets .25% lower apr. :(
    0% for 60 mths on a tundra and good leases; but they are doing that for a reason; toyota is LOOSING money on promoting camary as the "best seller" plus GAS HOGG sequioa's and tundras make their fuel effeciant ratings LOW..!! They are probably NOT going to do any specail APR or rebates. I've called TFS and dealers. They said maybe sept; labor day..but don't count on it....
    I see the SAME features out of a nissan frontier PLUS the BIG thing for us; the nissan has the access cab "king" cab!!! That is 4k MORE on a pre runner!
    I see that the nissan is cheaper too...especially the deal below... what do you all think??
    I am thining of running by on sun when they are closed to snap digital shots for hubby to look at.. I got him the brouchures and they've made it to Iraq...

My mom saw an add in a Conway, Arkansas paper for Superior Nissan for $12,570 for an XE king cab with perfered pkg, floor mats, and bedliner with rails.
    The msrp is $18,200.
    - $3,500 dealer cash
    - $1,000 rebate
    - $1,000 if you trade a nissan in (I don't have)
    so for me it's $13,570 "26 at this price"
    So my mom goes to the dealer (I'm in NC near fort bragg), and it's the same salesman who sold her FIVE honda's!!! :)
    He said it's for real...plus
    8k off msrp for "any" titan...
    not a bad deal??
    I tried to e-mail several dealers here in NC, and one wrote back like I was dumb saying was it a "used 04' ".. Please, I'm not stupid.. ofcourse it's NOT!
    It's a NEW 05 not used, not a dealer, etc...
    This is a good deal...does ANYone know how I'd get a truck from Ark to NC??
    When people buy on e-bay and such, don't places ship for you for like $300??
    that way no miles are on it???
    I have 3 small kids ages 6,5 and 2.5 so I can't go get it...
    Any suggestions??
    And is this not a rockin' deal?? I think so...
    My hubby also likes the tacoma pre runner. but they are NOT bending well on price...even for a TFS customer...
    You can talk Nissan down,they're good people compared to Toy. ,
    Goodluck thoe.
  • catch42catch42 Member Posts: 2
    i don't know much about the frontier, since i was pretty much set on a tacoma from the start, so i'll just give some feedback on the taco ;)

i recently drove my new tacoma cross-country from atlanta to seattle.
    i was particularly impressed with the fuel economy of a vehicle this size.
    also the look and road presence of the taco is dominating.

as i was driving through south dakota and montana, there was a point when i saw about 5 tacomas of varying years/models on the road in succession. i sped ahead to pass them, and it seemed like they all sped up just to get another look at the redesigned style of this 05 model.

i also received 2 compliments from random people on the drive up, one at a gas station in tenn, and the other at a hotel lobby in spokane, wa. also, my friend who's an avid truck person absolutely loved the truck when i showed it to him and was complaining to me that even older t1000s are still out of his price range, so i gather the resale value of these vehicles are quite excellent.

the thing i'm hoping for the most is reliability, with minimal servicing.
    i've heard of toyota's reaching the 300k mark, but seldom have heard of nissans doing the same.

one other thing is the comfort factor. I drove 5 days continuously, with 1 passenger, and a bed full of stuff (glad i didn't have to rent a uhaul) ;), and neither my passenger nor i experienced any pain or discomfort on the long trip.

all in all, i would prefer dependability and reliability over extras such as leather seats and moonroofs.
  • ensembleensemble Member Posts: 3
    So you drove your taco around, saw some other tacos, and heard about some long lived tacos. Very convincing.
    So Badness you say go for the Nissan, Thanks for feedback. That NISMO really has my eye. Lot of truck for good price.

Thanks
  • time2time2 Member Posts: 25
    I'm about to buy an 05 Frontier SE Crew 4x4. Why? Because the Nissan Pickup I bought new in 93 is still going strong without a hiccup (215,000 miles). I'm sure the Tacoma is also a great truck, but Nissan has earned my loyalty.
    Goodluck man,My 93 had 260.000, in change when I sold if for my chevy,dumb I know, you can't kill these's Nissan truck as for Toys I don't know never bought one ,wish I never bought my 01chevy. ITs for sale if anyone is looking,99.587Mi. on it great shape its all Highway Mi, that what hurts me the most.drop me a line is anyone more info on this reply.
    Ps,I live on the east(NJ) coast,30min. from NYC,and 21/2 Hrs. from Atlantic city,,NJ
    Thanks.
  • catch42catch42 Member Posts: 2
    If you consider driving from atlanta to seattle just "driving around," then i guess i did.

you must have something against tacomas or toyotas in general.

and who's trying to convince? just giving my experience with the taco thus far.
  • hweaverhweaver Member Posts: 33
    Need to drive them both, I am looking at either for my hubby. He had an 03 tundra that he LOVED LOVED LOVED! We ONLY sold it due to equidy and high resale, I used it and my 04 honda osdyssey (which held value AMAZING, to put NOTHING down and 15 mths later have almost 3k to put into another car!)..I'm a LOYAL honda fan..too bad they don't make a nice small truck; HATE the ridgline,and who the **** has 36k for a stupid truck?! Not me, nor would I spend it.. another story.
    I paid cash for my 05 honda civic. Now my hubby needs something. reliable and cheap.. The dealers are not very flexable w/ toyota, but I have time to wait; dec before he has to have a vehicle, he's stomping on the Iraq desert now. :cry:
    I like the tacoma pre runner reg cab, he likes access cab..
    we'll see. I should drive them both and go from there.
    Nissan frontier is selling for $13,570 for an XE king cab w/ perfered pkg, floor mats, and bedliner/rails. Which is a great deal, but interst is high. I have PERFECT credit and they quoted 8.44% ! I nearly fell over!
    That is not as good of a deal as it "seemed" at first..
    Again, I have time for toyota to do rebates and or apr's.
    Which they say they "probably will not", but I bet they WILL. Even the wall street Journal quotes that with the sell of camary, they pushed to be "top seller" thus toyota is LOOSING money.. BUT they are selling tundra and GAS hogging sequioa's so they HAVE to sell more vehicles w/ better mpg or they will loose ratings for mpg averages on the vehicles they sell.
    So they have to sell more that get better mpg, long story short... so even though they are already loosing their profit margins, they have to get the 05's out...
    unfortuantely, tacoma is a good seller, so that does not help those of us wanting a good deal.. ; :mad:
    We'll see time will tell.....
    Some things I like about one, I dislike about the other.....
    it's not an easy choice...

rates..apr and incentives will prob be my push...
    Yahoo! We picked up our 05 Frontier SE CC yesterday, and I am in awe. Every so often I'm opening the door to the garage just to stare at it some more. What a difference going from our 93 Nissan Pickup to this one! It is a brute. It seems Nissan is taking the Frontier to a more "SUV" comfort level with the raw power and build quality of a truck.

To many things to list here, but one little thing I like is that chrome front with a nice big Nissan emblem. For that matter the chrome front and rear bumpers look classy with the "Super Black" paint. I just hope we have the long term durability with this one as we did with our 93. That's what brought me back to Nissan.
  • boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    FYI: Toyota has sold 2x as many Tacomas as Nissan has Frontiers.

http://www.aicautosite.com/editoria/asmr/svtruck.asp
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    Then that must mean the Canyon/Colorado is the best midsize truck? :)
    Your snide remark doesn't even make sense. First off, it's two separate trucks, neither of which sold more than the Tacoma. Second, GM had to resort to "employee pricing" just to sell off their '05 inventory. Third, we all know they are cheap pieces of crap but if nobody bought them, they wouldn't make them. Fourth, read the forum title. Nobody wants to talk about the Canyon/Colorado, not even Canyon/Colorado owners.

If you want to be so smart and sarcastic then yes, the Canyon/Colorado is the "best" followed by the Tacoma, then the Ranger/B Series (another high quality truck :surprise: ), then the Dakota and guess who's last. Yup, your precious Frontier.
    (I know you want to count the S10/Sonoma and Isuzu, don't you? :blush:)

It sucks when you open your mouth and your foot doesn't fit. :cry:
    Not real sure what the heck your initial post means if not to say that sales are not directly related to "most desirable". You think that GMC and Chevy are different trucks? Don't even know what to say. Even leaving that off, the sales show that the Canyon has about 3% less sales for the year compared to the Taco. The "employee pricing" has only been around for a couple of months if that.

You are the one who posted the sales. As far as precious Frontier, I will get a different truck in a minute if I have problems, but no problems, same good truck.

A wise man once said "It is better to appear ignorant and remain silent than to speak and remove all doubt" :D
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Did you order your Fronty? If so, how long did it take from order date to delivery? I'll be ordering an '06 (SE CC 6-Speed 4x2, Limted Slip, Canteen Green, etc.). I've never found one of this configuration anywhere, so figure I'll probably have to order my '06. Thanks.
    I didn't order it, but I searched three area dealerships (about 80 miles apart) and this one was scheduled to arrive shortly at my nearest dealer. (I had to wait a week) It was really configured the way I wanted it, so I lucked out.

Good luck with your search or 06 order!
    Yes, the Tacoma is more desirable. Since this is a "New 2005 Toyota Tacoma vs 2005 Nissan Frontier" forum I am comparing Tacoma sales vs. Frontier sales. That was my point and the original reason for the post.

For whatever reason the Colorado got brought into this. They are cheap, period. People who don't do research buy cheap, replaceable things. We here in this forum have obviously done our research and we know that the Frontier and Tacoma are superior trucks in almost every category.

Yes, the Canyon and Colorado are the same "truck", different brand, but same truck. Ray Charles could see that. Mazda and Ford don't usually post their sales of the Ranger and B Series together, same truck though :confuse: , which was my point. If you actually look at the numbers (I'll post it again for you: Here), see how many Canyon/Colorado's that GM sold in 2004? They didn't change anything on the truck for '05. Please explain how this sales jump is not attributed to the "employee pricing"?!? GM posted record numbers in June and July, again, my point misconstrued because you didn't actually read the post. You were just trying to be cute.

It's hard to remain silent on a message board. You've already proven belligerent and ignorant. :):D :P ;)
    I find it funny how angry you seem to be, I am just pointing out sales don't equal quality. You keep pointing to Taco outselling Frontier= better truck. Well if that wisdom holds true, then you have to look at who else is selling a lot of trucks (which includes Chevy/GMC/Ford). I actually made the mistake of reading your post and actually thinking it had a point, my mistake.

How to remain silent (I guess a mystery to you) is reading, not posting messages.

I have to commend you though, when the experts said that the kid from the short bus couldn't learn to use the internet, you proved them wrong. Congrats kid, you made it :D
    You type pretty well for someone who can't read. Follow your own advice and read before posting.

MY POINT:

"the Tacoma is more desirable. Since this is a "New 2005 Toyota Tacoma vs 2005 Nissan Frontier" forum I am comparing Tacoma sales vs. Frontier sales."

NOT:

"...sales don't equal quality...Taco outselling Frontier= better truck."

Not once did I ever say that. You did, with your "Then that must mean the Canyon/Colorado is the best midsize truck? :D" comment. Let's keep it semi adult here, why all the name calling? A little insecure?
    You are really making me laugh, so I thank you. I can't believe how aggressive this has become. I suggest you get some anger management counseling. If you are this frustrated over an "idiot" you have never met, and don't know anything about, how can you function in life? Take a break, take a breath, and relax. It is only the internet and some idiot's opinion on a couple of trucks. Life is way to serious to get worked up about this. Enjoy your truck and have a nice weekend, I know this belligerent, ignorant, idiot is definitely going to one (you have already put a smile on my face). :)
    Just because I use italics and bold type doesn't mean I'm angry.

By the way, good job changing the subject once you realize you're full of :surprise: .
    I really like a man/woman who has to get the last word and try to put in one more shot. ;) You have really made my friends and I laugh out loud, which is really what life is about. Cheers from sunny california :shades:
  • streaksstreaks Member Posts: 64
    Why don't you 2 get a room!! :mad:
  • trucksrgoodtrucksrgood Member Posts: 7
    The Internet was not made for two inane wannabees with too much time on their hands to flame each other. To topic is senseless; LESS FILLING, TASTE GREAT....Get the idea.

My question has to do with the next model year of Fronty and Taco. Can anyone advise on what changes will occur in both models. Thanks for your reply.
  • dttdtt Member Posts: 2
    Don't know what's gonna be new with Toyota but according to nissannews.com there will be just a few changes in store for the '06 models:

"Enhancements to the 2006 Frontier include:
    · Power Package added for the King Cab XE model – includes Power windows, door locks, outside mirrors, remote keyless entry and cruise control
    · Satin chrome ring accent treatment for meter gauges and chrome vent trim standard on NISMO and LE models
    · New shift knob design for NISMO manual transmission models
    · Standard glove box lock, lamp and damper
    · New exterior colors – Red Alert, Red Brawn and Majestic Blue"

Nothing major but if anyone knows of anything else, please let us know.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dennis
    05 Frontier SE CC 2WD
  • trucksrgoodtrucksrgood Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info dtt. My biggest problem with the 05 Fronty was the limited color choice. Hopefully, one of the new three will be good for me.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    Hey thanks for the updates on the 06 Frontier. I've been very happy with my 05. 19,000 trouble-free miles in 7 months.

For the gentleman claiming the 05 Tacoma is more desirable than the 05 Frontier: you are correct the Tacoma is selling more. However, with the exception of MT, who liked the many configuration options of the Tacoma, every other press review I know of has picked this order: Ridgeline first (provided you don't off-road), Frontier second, Tacoma third, then all the rest. Colorado/Canyon usually finishes last, but sells the most, probably helped by price as you pointed out.

My personal evaluation matches the press: Ridgeline, Frontier, Tacoma. I'm an off-roader, so the Ridgeline did not make my short list. I test drove four new 05 Tacomas; all had some sort of mechanical problem, such as difficulty getting in and out of four wheel drive. They did drive nicely with the exception of weak drum brakes. The mechanical problems and low lateral exhaust crossmember that would be damaged off-road dropped the Tacoma from my list. If you are lucky enough to have one without any mechanical problems, then you have a good truck.

The worst problem I've had with my Frontier is a squeaky hood latch that needs to be lubed about once a month. It has exceeded my expectations both off-road and on road. I suspect that some of its weak sales figures are caused by people not knowing how good it is compared to the 04 and earlier models; in those years I think most would have easily picked the Tacoma over the Frontier or anything else. 05 has been a great year for trucks. The press has enthusiastically welcomed the new Ridgeline, Frontier, and Tacoma. As I mentioned above, that's the order they finish in comparison tests, too. If you don't off-road, you'll be impressed by how well the Ridgeline drives and its interior and bed space.

Happy shopping to all.
  • frizzzofrizzzo Member Posts: 1
    Check out edmonds review, which doesn't include Ridgeline.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=104774
    "However, with the exception of MT...every other press review I know of has picked this order"

Well I know that both Edmunds (link above) and Consumer Reports both picked the Tacoma (CR Best Buy along with Ridgeline) over the Frontier.

You are referring to Car and Driver, don't generalize it by saying "everybody but Motor Trend"

I haven't had any troubles off-road with my "cross member" (:surprise:)

The truck is extremely "smart" it won't go in and out of 4WD if you're doing something it thinks may harm it. It's a feature, not a flaw.

I had squeaky clutch pedal, lithium grease cured that. No problems, just hit 5700 this morning after 3 1/2 months.

You should be ready for a Tacoma in 2008 when your Frontier is burnt out after 32,500 miles a year! Good lord, how much do you spend a week on gas? Betcha can't wait til we hit $3.00 a gallon, eh?
    There you go again, you really should have someone check your posts before you push the button. The EPA's are within 1 mpg between the Taco and the Frontier. These are controlled environments, personal mpg are dictated by individual driving habits. Add in the cost of premium gas and your precious Taco is no better. I guess you are excited about $3.00 a gallon?
    If you do any serious off-roading in the 05 Tacoma, you will damage the central exhaust cross-member because it is the lowest point under the vehicle. By comparison, all I've scraped on my Frontier is the rocker panels because 10.5 inches of ground clearance just isn't enough; the 4wd system exceeds the capabilities of its ground clearance, but everything on the undercarriage is tucked up and takes the abuse of riding the frame rails. I actually powered out of deep mud when only one tire had any traction, and didn't even have to engage the rear locker to do this. I don't remember now if the Tacoma offers 4-wheel limited slip like the Frontier, but I do believe you can get a Tacoma with a rear locker if I remember correctly.

Press reports matched my test drives on the difficulties of engaging 4wd, which would leave you stuck in 2wd when you really needed 4wd the most. The service department confirmed the truck I drove was broken, and commented the 05 Tacomas were having teething problems. I could accept one bad apple, but 4 out of 4 with a problem steered me away. No, they didn't all have 4wd problems. One had a leaking exhaust manifold, and they all had relatively weak brakes because of the rear drums. Quality problems aside, I personally didn't care for the gymnastics required to fold the back seat and relatively small space once the seat is folded. By comparison, the rear storage space in a Ridgeline rivals a Titan. On the plus side, the Tacoma is a great looking truck, and I especially like the power outlet in the bed. Curious that there is no light for the bed if I remember correctly.

Rather than a Tacoma, I might be interested in the new Tundra that is due in the next year or two, provided the quality is up to the standards Toyota established in the nineties. Newer Toyotas don't seem to be as reliable as the older ones.

Regarding gas prices, the next truck that I buy will have some sort of technology that delivers mileage at least in the mid-20's along with at least 300hp. Toyota seems closest with technology like the hybrid Highlander, although initial rumors about the 06 Civic rivaling the Prius should make for an interesting horse race.
    "If you do any serious off-roading in the 05 Tacoma, you will damage the central exhaust cross-member because it is the lowest point under the vehicle."

This cross member thing has been discussed. When I first read about this (Feb '05), I looked under my truck to confirm. Then, across the street, I saw a new Ford F-150 4x4. I asked the owner if it was ok to look underneath.Guess what.. cross member routed the same!! Without checking ground clearance height, I'll figure the F-150 has a little more. So, I searched the Taco forum, no damages reported yet to the system. I guess time will tell, but so far so good. Also, I have no problems engaging 4wd and yes, I have a locking rear diff on my Off-Road.

btw, you got any info to back this comment: "Newer Toyotas don't seem to be as reliable as the older ones"
    Not being a smart-[non-permissible content removed], just wanted to see an article or something. Thanks!

P.S. Just so you know.Until I bought my '05 Taco, I was a Nissan guy for 25yrs.(still have a ' 91 Max) They all were decent vehicles, but ended up 'nickel and diming" me to death.Just time for a change.
    Regarding Toyota reliability: the impression I have from reader owner's reports on the web, particularly on the 05 Tacoma, are that it is not as reliable as the older models. Of course you don't tend to hear as much from people who have no problems, but there does seem to be a trend for more gripes on the 05. I don't have a link to the press articles immediately available, but hasn't Toyota had a few late model recalls recently, too? While some of these troubles could be attributed to new-model bugs, Toyota seems to have more than its fair share recently.

I initially expected to get an 05 Tacoma; the 04 was my truck of choice, but was too small for me. The mid-size redesigns of the Tacoma, Frontier, and Dakota made 05 the ideal year for purchase. Based on earlier models, I was biased towards Tacoma, and still think it is the best-looking of the bunch.

I was going from an 01 Silverado and was interested in better fuel economy and more off-road ability. The biggest strikes against Tacoma were premium fuel, back seat folding system, back seat real world legroom, and the aforementioned exhaust. Look under an 04 or older Tacoma and you will see more ground clearance, plus the central exhaust is tucked above the frame where it can't get hurt. I don't understand why Toyota took class-leading ground clearance and made it worse. When I kept having mechanical problems on all four of the 05 Tacomas I drove, the Toyota got dropped from my short list. I really wanted one bad, which is why I kept test-driving them in hopes of finding one without any problems. Back in December, though, I struck out.

I went to the press introduction for the Ridgeline in January and learned that its undercarriage and drivetrain are not set up for real off-roading, so I bought my Frontier in January. Nissan had a TSB on early Frontiers for a noisy intake plenum; I did have that changed on mine. Fortunately, that's the only bug I know of with the new-model redesign of the Frontier.
    Thanks Daniel, appreciate your comments.Nice to see some level heads in here!! I have a couple problems w/ my Taco. Slight click in rear when going over bumps( leaf springs) Some dealers have reported this to toyota and a fix is in the works. Jump in RPM's when shifting in the lower gears. I've been told this is no cause for concern, but still checking on that.I know some people have said the Fronty seems too have a little more "snap", but my Taco is major quick!! I think break-in has a lot to do w/ that.

I do believe that the Nissan gives you a lot of bells and whistles for the $$$ though. Between the tube-steps, skid plates, etc.. I'm goin broke!! LOL

Just like you said, going to be a few problems w/ the new models. Every dealer I've spoken with has been more than helpful and willing to accomodate. I got pretty lucky. I've had my truck since Feb. and I love it. I got it pretty decked-out and it turns heads everywhere I go. Had an 84 yr. young customer of mine say "that's the nicest truck I've ever seen".

And as I said before on here.."I would have been happy w/ either one".

[non-permissible content removed] Luck w/ your Frontier!! :D
    Sorry about my typo...no offense intended!! Might of got some laughs though!!

Fun at others expense..It's all good....Cheers!!
    try comparing the stardard stuff in the Toys with the Nissan and you will see Nissan gives more for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!
    Hello!!
    Yeah, I said that!! Still bought the Taco... Hello!!
    Thats how bad US Auto makers let their product slip. Now it's Taco/Fronty.

Dakota better then Ranger or Colorado top domestic midsize I believe.
  • paulzzzpaulzzz Member Posts: 1
    OK...Time to weigh in.
    I have read these forums through and have seen some very good and very bad arguments for both vehicles. Here is my take!!
    Bought My first Japanese vehicle in 1974. Toyota Celica and one of the best vehicles I ever owned. Actually, drove it so much that I decided to disconnect the speedometer cable because I was putting too many miles on it. Sold it to a private owner and felt a little guilty. By accident, ran into him a few years later and tried to avoid the conversation, thinking that I had screwed him. Told me it was the best car he ever bought. Whew!! He felt the same way I did!!
    (and no..keep reading...this is not an endorsement for Toyota)
    Since 1974 I have been sold on Japanese vehicles and since then, with the exception of one year..(bought a GM 1978 Monte Carlo...forgive me....GM roots from my father run deep) ... I have owned all Japanese vehicle since then. The argument here is not Toyota vs. Nissan but is Japanese vs. GM, Ford, & hmmmmm...Chrysler + others.

Due to loyalty, incentives, family history, and fleet purchases American products (whether right or wrong) still control the truck market, I am thinking #1 GM should be worrying about #2 Toyota big time, and # 2 Toyota should be worrying about #3 Nissan, big time, and all should be worrying about Hunydai and Kia.... let alone a few new upstarts. (Gotta Love Competition in America)

Took both trucks for a test drive (wanted a Toyota Tacoma since they were introduced..and now was finally able to purchase one.) Money not necessarily the issue... income now $200k/yr, but wife, house & career came first.) Nissan had the leather seats, sunroof, disk brakes, smooth transmission and a very powerful engine!!

Knowing that most of the younger crowd here want to hear of the off-road capabilities and I also love four-wheeling, I will followup later.

I also work on Capitol Hill, Washington D.C. Trucks everywhere and ready to challenge them!!

Suffice it to say, I am the owner of a LE Frontier. Built in the USA.
    Thank You Nissan!!!
  • bill55bill55 Member Posts: 25
    Does the Frontier have an optional mechanical LSD as does the Tacoma or is it just the electronic version of LSD that uses brake intervention on the slipping wheel? To me it is important to have a true mechanical limited slip diff.
    Frontier has an electronic limited slip on the front axle and both an electronic limited-slip and mechanical full locking differential on the rear. I don't remember which models have the rear locker as standard or optional. My 4x4 NISMO CC has it.
  • bill55bill55 Member Posts: 25
    I know the locking differential would be for offroading at low speeds. Tacoma also offers this combination of the locking differential and electronic LSD on the offroad version. The mechanical LSD is for normal driving.
    Well Senator paul zzz,

Your' re yankin' down some nice loot!! Congrats!! It also appears you did your homework before you bought your Frontier.. Now do something about these gas prices!!

If possible kind Sir....May I bring my humble [non-permissible content removed] and my Off-Road (OG #2) V6..6M down there to D.C. to blow your doors in???

Sincerely,

streaks

Ps..Hey it's all good !! Oh, Thank You Toyota!!
  • rage151rage151 Member Posts: 8
    Ok, I've been through quite a few threads in this post. 9/7, I sold my trusty 1999 SR5/TRD Taco. It had 131,000 miles and ran/drove great! Love that truck. Naturally, I'm thinking of going w/another Taco but it's looking like the Frontier is in the lead for these reasons:

- The Frontier runs optimal on 87 Octane. The Taco suggests/requires Premium. (I had 80,000 miles on my '99 Taco and filled up w/its first tank of 92 Octane. 3/4 of a tank through, the Check Engine light came on. It blew the Bank 1 Oxy sensor. So, with gas prices, etc., Frontier is FAR ahead of the Taco.

- Road noise. I understand the 05 Taco cabin is a little louder on the highway. I test drove a Frontier and it was pretty quiet (and rode more like a car!)

- Flexible/Universal interior. More storage, standard din (radio chassis), back-seat folding.

- More ground clearance. I understand the Taco dropped an inch or two. Nissan is actually now the leader in this category.

Oh yeah, is it true the Nissan Automatic tranny is sealed? No dipstick? One more question: My old Taco was still as tight as it was 100k miles ago - no play in the steering, u-joints, etc. The bushings, etc., really hold up good. Do Nissan trucks fare age and mileage as gracefully?

The bullets above are just things that stick out. Please add/validate/modify any of them. I want to make a decision that will provide a good truck for the next 5-6 years.
    rage151,

It seems, my son, that you have forsaken us already and gone to the dark side. Where have we wronged you my son? Your bushings and u-joints are all still as tight as a 16 year-old cheerleader. It seems that you have made your choice already and there is nothing more that can be said that hasn't been said already in 8 months of childish bickering. I see that your Nissan Frontier will age gracefully, I have no basis for my prediction, but because I say it is so, it is so.

Sincerely,
    Nissanstradamus

- Just screwing around. Good luck with whatever truck you buy, you seem to have done your research. I'm sure you'd be happy with either choice. Everyone seems to be happy with whatever they have for their own reasons. Sorry to see you go. :(
    "Oh yeah, is it true the Nissan Automatic tranny is sealed? No dipstick? One more question: My old Taco was still as tight as it was 100k miles ago - no play in the steering, u-joints, etc. The bushings, etc., really hold up good. Do Nissan trucks fare age and mileage as gracefully? "

1. The Frontier tranny is NOT sealed. There is a small nut securing the dipstick. Loosen the nut and check the dipstick like any other tranny. Leave the nut off if you want to check the level on a frequent basis.

2. 20,000 miles in 7 months. I haven't used any fluids, including transmission or oil, between services. Very tight truck. Hood latch squeaks unless lubed on a monthly basis. Rear leafs get noisy after off-roading, solved with WD-40. Very impressive truck.

3. Get 18-19 mpg from CC V6 NISMO, which is good for a truck. I'm buying an 06 Civic to get better mpg and save some miles on the NISMO, which will be reserved for the off-road and hauling jaunts.
  • willsimwillsim Member Posts: 33
    It looks like the Tacoma has lost nine horsepower using the new rating system. The Tacoma now will have 236hp on premium fuel I'm even more sure about my purchase of a Frontier.
This discussion has been closed.