Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    In addition to the higher purchase price of the Tacoma, Toyota "recommends" premium fuel, which will add to the cost of ownership. Look at the central exhaust on the Tacoma where it crosses from one side of the vehicle to the other. You will see that the exhaust is the lowest point on the undercarriage and will be damaged if you do serious off-roading. The electrical outlet in the Tacoma bed is a plus, but the Frontier does have 3 outlets in the cab, and inverters are pretty cheap (less than $20). Tacoma and Frontier will both serve you well, but unless you're into serious off-roading, the Ridgeline is probably better than both. Bigger interior, bigger bed, better mileage, superior on-road ride, trunk, but limited hard-core off-road capability. Ridgelines have not been selling well and are available at a huge discount, including some very attractive Honda-sponsored leases. If you can live with only 8.5" of ground clearance, Ridgeline will serve you well. If you're big into off-road, Frontier is the choice, or else an 04 or older Tacoma. The 05 Tacoma exhaust will get dinged on the trail because of its low-hanging design.
  • m_specsm_specs Member Posts: 2
    What is the main difference between these two options, and what are the advantages over one and the other?

Both the nissan frontier NISMO, and Tacomo TRD models have these as options packages.. im just wondering what would be more advantagous in an offroad/snow/ or even towing situation.

** ONLY the frontier NISMO comes w/ locking rear diff., the crewcab 6spd i want only comes in an SE model which is not equipped w/ a locking rear diff**

** the tacoma TRD offroad package includes a locking rear diff.. where as the sport package is equipped w/ a limited slip**
  • bill55bill55 Member Posts: 25
    These two trucks are very close to each other in the comparisons i've read. The real story will be told in the years to come as these vehicles wear out and what problems develop with them. Time will tell.
  • fslaugtsfslaugts Member Posts: 36
    I really like the looks and interior of the Tacoma. But after reading the tough test and driving the Frontier. I think the frontier drives the best for me. Also the 6 speed felt much better than the tacoma's.
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    who reallllly gives a Rats what everyone thinks ,I love my Frontier just like every on loves their Toy,so give it up already,grow the hell up CHILDREN!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    Not really and Off Road Truck,and when looking around all
    were just about $30,000 or more. Not practical for Surf Fishing & running the beaches.

Critter in the Surf! :)
  • 21332133 Member Posts: 1
    I have 16,000 miles on my 05 frontier. transmission is loud and jumps around, there was a 4 inch bolt rolling around underneath the carpet and the tub and now there is a vibration at idle coming from the steering column. not what i thought for a $27k truck and turning in a 210k mile maxima.
  • time2time2 Member Posts: 25
    Gee, my 05 Fronty has 9000 miles and it has been perfect! Quiet and precise with loads of power. Your expereince does not dovetail with the Frontier owners I have been talking to. It's been called the "sportscar of trucks," and based on mine I'd have to agree.
  • toykicktoykick Member Posts: 104
    lol... well it feels more refined since it drives like a car and not like a truck... The last gen tacoma got bashed by critics for the same reason.. the suspension was a little bit to hard and you would feel almost every bump on the road... but offroad it would kick the competitions [non-permissible content removed]. Dont believe me? look at the tacomas that are being used by our military in iraq. People who buy tacomas, buy them because they feel more like a truck and not a sedan... if they didnt the last gen wouldnt sell over 100k a year even with all the bad reviews it got...

and again why would you buy a 26k midsized truck while most domestics v8 fullsize trucks get better mpg then the new frontier. :P

• toykicktoykick Member Posts: 104
    here some more old gen media i came up on... Thats a stock 2dr tacoma... tacoma jump

link title

if you want true life tests look on cardomain ;)
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    Those are some good pics. I had an 04 Tacoma TRD, which I really liked.
    But, how do these pics relate to the 2005 Tacoma or Frontier?
    Anyway, I now have a 2005 Frontier 4x4. Trust me, it is definitely a truck, and I know it when I drive it. It is, however, little more refined than the Tacoma. That doesn't mean that the Tacoma is a bad truck. It is just a matter of preference.
    I have not taken my truck off road, but I suspect it'd be more than adequate, as compared to any other stock 4x4 in this class of vehicles.
    Sorry for the extra post, but I forgot something.
    I average about 20.5 MPG. I don't think that is too bad, for a truck in this class.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    And the Frontier is better equipped! The Toy might get 1 m.p.g. better (not enough to notice) but 20.5 for a 4400 lb. vehicle is quite respectable. Also, the Fronty will do anything the Toy will do off-road, but I'd exchange the O.E. tires.
    Furthermore, have you seen the latest Edmunds truck comparison?
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Furthermore, have you seen the latest Edmunds truck comparison?"

Have you noticed that Edmunds recently chose the :surprise: '06 Tacoma as "Editor's Most Wanted"?

I think they're both great trucks... My last truck was a Nissan, the one before that was a Toyota, and my new truck is a Toyota.
  • qwert13qwert13 Member Posts: 24
    For anyone out there thinking about buying a Frontier, here's the verbage sent to the NHTSA:

I purchased a 2005 Nissan Frontier on 5/18/2005. Shortly thereafter, I experienced the transmission popping out of second gear on four occasions. Once on a bumpy road, twice on washboard roads, and once at a traffic light on dry pavement. All roads frequently used by passenger vehicles and traveling at low speeds under 20 mph.
    Nissan has attempted to correct the problem by adding wheel weights to the shifter assembly to dampen the shifter vibration and then replace the transmission. Both times I was able to reproduce the problem on washboard road used by passenger vehicles. Nissan then gave me a 2005 SE CC Frontier off the lot and I was able to pop it out of second gear.
    I now find myself driving the vehicle knowing that I must be careful when using second gear. The excessive shifter vibration and popping out of gear will cause abnormal wear and tear. I also consider it dangerous for a vehicle to pop into neutral when turning into traffic at an intersection as occurred shortly after the purchase. This issue has never happened while using 4-wheel drive, but doing so could also create a dangerous situation depending on the road being traversed such as exposure to drops and/or the incline on narrow mountain roads. This is a Frontier NISMO, advertised as being able to traverse some rather interesting terrain, yet every time the transmission pops out of 2nd gear, and only second gear, I have been on passenger car roads.
    Through a lawyer, I was told Nissan said they would not fix the transmission, but would give me $3000 for my time and inconvenience. I refused. I still must drive this transmission and as it gets worse, I would then have to decide when to use the $3000 to replace it and then the cycle starts over. A letter has been sent certified mail to Nissan (cc: Colorado Attorney General) stating these facts and I have asked them to fix it or buy the vehicle back. Nissan have a design issue that is now in the '05 and '06 Frontiers.

===================================

P.S. Love those pictures, toykick. Damn if I'd try that with a Nissan Frontier...
    Oh C'mon.
    That's never happened to me, and I've never heard of any other 2005 Frontier owner with this problem.
    Don't believe everything you read, regardless of its origin.

I do appreciate you trying to help out potential buyers, though.
    -------------
    If you tried what was done in those pictures with a Nissan Frontier, you'd do it, but in a little more comfort.
    (I'm just picking on you - enjoy your Tacoma)
    ...here's a complaint filed with the NHTSA. Amazing that Nissan puts all those skid plates on the NISMO and neglects this one. Check it out yourself. I noticed it after 4-wheeling and doing a just-in-case check.

WHILE DRIVING MY 2005 NISSAN FRONTIER, I NOTICED A GASOLINE SMELL. I GOT OUT OF THE TRUCK, AND LOOKED UNDERNEATH. GAS WAS POURING ON THE GROUND FROM ON TOP OF THE FUEL TANK. FURTHER INVESTIGATION SHOWED THAT GAS WAS SPRAYING FROM THE FUEL PUMP ALL OVER THE UNDERSIDE OF THE TRUCK, EVEN ONTO THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER. THE AMOUNT OF GAS SPRAYING WAS ABSOLUTELY FRIGHTENING. THE DEALER TOLD ME THAT THE FUEL TANK HIT A ROCK ON A RECENT TRIP. THIS CAUSED THE FUEL PUMP TO SMASH AGAINST THE BOTTOM OF THE TRUCK AND CREATE THIS PROBLEM. FURTHER INVESTIGATION SHOWED THAT WHEN THE GAS TANK IS FULL, TO 3/4 FULL, ANY IMPACT ON THE CENTER OF THE FUEL TANK, WILL RESULT IN CATASTROPHIC FAILURE TO THE FUEL PUMP LIKE I EXPERIENCED. IMPACT TO THE FUEL TANK IS ALMOST UNAVOIDABLE IN ANY OFF ROAD SITUATION. THE FUEL TANK IS THE LOWEST COMPONENT UNDER THE TRUCK, AND THE MAIN POWER WHEEL IN 4WD IS THE WHEEL DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE FUEL TANK. THIS PROBLEM WILL RESULT IN FIERY DEATH, AND/OR FOREST FIRES. THERE IS NO SKID PLATE KIT AVAILABLE TO PROTECT THE GAS TANK AT THIS TIME. THE DEALER REFUSED TO WARRANTY THIS ITEM THE SECOND TIME IT OCCURRED. A NEW FUEL PUMP COST IS IN EXCESS OF $600.00 THIS IS A POOR DESIGN, AND TRULY WILL RESULT IN DEATH.

By the way, in August I took a week off to 4x4, fish, camp, hike in the Telluride, Silverton, Lake City area of Colorado. I have found that my Frontier NISMO did all right on your average pure crap Colorado 4x4 mountain roads. I then did Ophir, Cinnamon, and Tincup Passes. Because of the way the Frontier responded, I decided NOT to do Mosquito Pass. No way in Hell was I going to destroy this truck there...even though I've done all these passes and many more in the past in a Ranger. Bottom line, for the pure fun the best Colorado mountain passes have to offer, Ford Ranger can take more punishment than Nissan Frontier.
    woodshop28,

Everything is documented on invoices, including the fact that the second transmission popped out and the one off the lot popped out too. I had a sales person with me. Sorry, my 1989 Honda Civic with 210,000 miles has been on these very same roads at same speed and in 2nd gear...many times. ...And so were my '86 Montero and '94 Ranger.
    Where did you see that?
    I'd like to take a look.
    Thanks!
    start here...register (free)...and continue. You'll get to all issues concerning the vehicle you're interested in.
    Let me know...

http://www.mycarstats.com
    Please disregard my last post to you. I managed to locate the Edmunds "Editors Most Wanted". Interesting to note that the Dodge Dakota won last year with the Tacoma getting honourable mention. For 06 the Tacoma gets top honour with the Frontier achieving honourable mention.
    I also think they're both great trucks!
    Actually, I was asking Wooddorker about the "Most Wanted" at Edmunds. I am already aware of mycarstats.com. That's a site that I look over periodically.
    Thanks all the same.
    Make: TOYOTA
    Model: TACOMA
    Type: PASSENGER CAR
    Year: 2005
    Complaint Number: 10116155
    Summary:
    2005 TACOMA PRERUNNER. AUTOMATIC-PACKAGE 2. HAD NEW VEHICLE SURGE 3 DIFFERENT TIMES AFTER PURCHASE FIRST WEEK OF MARCH. LAST TIME SENT ME INTO MIDDLE OF BUSY INTERSECTION. THIS WAS TUESDAY MARCH 29, 2005. CALLED DEALER AND THEY SENT A TOW TRUCK. ALL PEOPLE AT DEALERSHIP HAVE BEEN VERY NICE, BUT SAY THEY HAVE FOUND NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. FOUND OUT LAST WEEK, THAT A LADY ON A TEST DRIVE HAD A CAR SURGE THROUGH THE SHOWROOM WINDOW AT SAME DEALERSHIP. I HAVE NO FAITH THAT THE VEHICLE WON'T DO THIS AGAIN. I AM REFUSING TO PICK VEHICLE UP AT DEALERSHIP, EVEN THOUGH I PAID CASH.
    quess both Toyota and Nissan suck big time. Long live Ranger and Dakota...(too bad Chevy had to choose the name "Colorado" for a piece of feces).
    You crack me up. I wouldn't have time to copy and paste all of the Dakota and Ranger complaints. :-)
    Actually, I didn't look at them.
    The point is that there is going to be a lemon, or spotty problems with pretty much any vehicle.
    Sorry you have had difficulty with your Frontier. I've had good luck with mine, fortunately. I did drive it on a really bad gravel road that had serious wash-board, and it never came out of any gear, and I was in 2nd for quite a while.
    ...so why does it happen with 2 transmissions and one off the lot..?
    may I add...I read this site and all I see is "mine is bigger than yours". I don't care...all I want is the best I can buy for my money from a manufacturer that cares..? Just like politics..I don't care if they are Republicans or Democrats. If they lie/screw up...get rid of them/try them/convict them/put them away.
    Nissan has a poor design and sooner or later you and others will notice it. Sorry, look at the fine print...you are not covered for "normal wear and tear" under your warranty. If you want that coverage get an extended warrenty fron Warrenty Direct.
    Gee..maybe qwert13 doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission. My 1989 Civic is on its original transmission. It's on its second clutch...I only got 170,000 miles on the first one (documented). Quess that proves I don't know how to drive a manual...?
    The last time my Civic was on a road that the Frontier pooped out of gear..?...yesterday, today, and tomorrow......
    From my experience, Nissan's drivetrains have been, as Toyota's have, bullet proof. It sounds like you've run into a bad lot. Good luck with yours!
    Hey drive56,

Seems you're more of the objective type vs woodman who would rather die than admit that maybe there is an issue with a vehicle he loves..? Never, never "love" a piece of metal/plastic/components. You love you wife, kids, parents, family, friends, pets (especially dogs).
    I can take any Frontier ('05 or '06) with a manual transmission and pop it out of gear. I "learned" how to do it after the dealership asked me if I could reproduce it.
    Take your Frontier to washboard, go 20 mpg in 2nd gear and accelerate on the washboard. Watch the excessive vibration of the gear shift. Will it happen every time...no...but with practice, yes, as I found out. But realize that what you are doing creates "abnormal wear and tear". You have ball bearings/springs that are meant to hold the transmission in gear. They don't, allowing the transmission to pop out. This creates wear and tear on those components, meaning that the next time it will be easier to pop out of gear. I'm full of fececs..? Go talk to a transmission mechanic.
    ...And..if I'm full of feces, why did Nissan offer me $3000?
    ...so I should be happy with a piece of feces because all the others are double feces..? Personally, I don't think that I or you or anyone should be happy with the smell of feces. If these clowns continue to produce feces then maybe we all should tell the world about it and make them accountable. They pay engineers 6 figures to design this crap..? Hope you're happy in your litter box.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Not necessary...

kcram - Pickups Host
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    you should get at least 24.5mpgs on a long trip,thats what I avg.it kicks butt.
    but I will get 20-21 rd.trip from High way to city,not bad.
    IT seems as It breaks in it getts better I've noticed, I have 5.000 on my truck,I baby the heck out of it ,slow take offs and and easy breaking, the General tires aren't that bad either.
  • time2time2 Member Posts: 25
    I've got an 05 Fronty 4x4 CC Auto. It has been awesome! A lady I work with tells me her husbands 05 Tacoma has been a huge disappointment. Many problems. He's now trading it in for an 06 Frontier.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    Of course he is. That is why people are having to wait for the next truck to drop off Tacomas just so they can see one. Those dissapointing Tacomas are so bad that they can't keep them on the lots. Toyota didn't get to be #1 in the world by selling junk. Nissan probably has a quality product (haven't driven one lately), but making up stuff in an attempt to dog the king makes you look bad. If indeed someone is dissapointed with their Tacoma after a year, it doesn't say much for their future choices either. If the truck is too small, it was the same size when they tested it. If it is to gutless, it had no more power when they tested it. If it is a pain to have to shift, it was not a automatic when it was tested. If there is real problems with the truck, there are lemon laws. If you go to another lot after buying and find something you like better, it is still your fault that you didn't shop around or wait for the next model year. If the truck is a heap, use the law. If you blew it, be a man and admit it.
    They had concept vechicle at Jan Shows, looked awesome for Off Road. But Jeep reliability is an issue!
    Tacomas are on the lots as much as Frontiers are, around here.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    It is the same here in the OKC area. About the only time we have a real shortage issue on any vehicle here is when a new hot model is first introduced.

This did not happen for me on either the Frontier nor the Tacoma.

OkieScot
    Same thing here in Victoria, B.C. I drive by both lots more than once a week and have always spotted 3 or more of each on either lot. I'll add though, that there are definitely more Tacomas on our local roads.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    As of November 2005, 153,000 Tacomas and 66,000 Frontiers have been sold YTD '05 in North America.

This includes all body and drivetrain styles. The sources I Googled didn't break things out by door count, engines, etc...

November saw aproximately 13,500 Tacomas, 6,000 Frontiers, and 5,700 Honda Ridgelines (a record) leave the lot.
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    The Frontier won the "Tough Truck Test" link below so I sent Edmunds a message and ask why they still considered the Tacoma the Most Wanted in its class (small/mid-size pickups).

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=107904/pageId=66419

Edmunds response is below.

Thanks for your question. The Frontier beat the Tacoma to win our 2005 Tough Truck Shootout, but the Tacoma topped the Frontier to take the crown in our 2005 Midsize Truck Comparison Test.

What's the difference between these two tests? Well, the Midsize Truck Comparison was designed to single out the pickups best suited for the average consumer. The Tough Truck Shootout was designed to select the truck best suited for a consumer with a more extreme set of needs. As we mentioned in its introduction, the Shootout wasn't concerned with "calculating price points and comparing features lists;" instead, the aim of this test was to "see how these trucks tow up hills, run on the sand and race over washboard fire roads."

The Frontier won top prize in the Shootout on the strength of its ruggedness. But overall, we think the Tacoma is a stronger choice for most consumers. This is why it won the Midsize Truck Comparison, and why it was our pick for 2006 Editors' Most Wanted.

Warren Clarke
    Content Editor
    Edmunds.com

I'm quite please with my 05 Nismo. I certainly push it to the limits and it does fine. Waiting to see how it does in the snow we may get this weekend.

81 Trekker
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I've always advocated getting skid plates on all critical areas if you ever think you plan to go off road. (Based this on my 25 years of experience driving off-road with primarily 4Runners that come standard with skid plates.) Last year, we got an 04 Armada that came with 2 skid plates (don't recall which two). I had the dealer order the other two and install them. I don't do any serious off-roading with it but sometimes take it down a Forest Service road where it could hit something unexpected. Why take chances as it's just a few hundred dollars that can save you big time. Fortunately, my 05 Nismo came with them. That's one of the reasons I got the Nismo vs. the straight Frontier. - 81 Trekker
  • arkitectarkitect Member Posts: 75
    If I were going to get the tacoma or the Frontier for my first car which one would y'all recommend?
    A very general question. The very best thing to do is drive both more than once and pick the vehicle that you feel suits you best-they are both good choices.
    I agree with driver56. Both are good choices.
    For many people, money is an issue when buying a first vehicle. If that is the case for you, and if the Frontier suits you, you may be able to get more features for the $ with one of those.
  • johnonesixjohnonesix Member Posts: 5
    I am also deciding between the Tacoma, Frontier/Xtera or the Ford Explorer (but I keep hearing bad things about the Explorer). I have test drove all 4 a couple of times and the Tacoma has my vote so far. Does anyone know if the Tacoma has a Timing Chain as opposed to a Timing Belt? I also checked the owners manual and the Tacoma calls for 87 Octane but states it will perform better on 91 octane. I thought I read some where that Toyota recommended only 91 octane? I have also been looking under the hood, Looks like you have to pull out half the engine to change a spark plug on the Frontier/Xtera (same engine) and forget about the Explorer. The Tacoma doesn't look so bad. Take a look under the hood also. Still not crazy about the Aluminum Block engine on the Nissan. Only time will tell.
  • symbologysymbology Member Posts: 3
    This was taken from the "Tough Truck Test"

"This made choosing a winner difficult, but the Nissans take the win. If we were buying a truck that would spend its entire life in the dirt, one of the Tacomas might get the nod, but before you play in the mud on the weekend, you have to get through the week first. While equally as tough and capable off-road as the Tacomas, the Nissan Frontiers are simply more refined and more comfortable. Bottom line, had we been forced to endure another few days in the desert we would have wanted to be driving one of the Nissan Frontiers"

"More refined and more comfortable" I like both trucks a lot, but I drive a Frontier because when you are behind the wheel and driving down the road, the Frontier is more comfortable.

Both are great trucks IMO, it just depends on what features/characteristics are more important to you.
  • goofballgoofball Member Posts: 20
    The 1GR-FE V6 engine model for the Tacoma has a timing chain.

I don't know for sure what the 2TR-FE I4 uses but believe it is also a chain, not a belt.
  • lazarouslazarous Member Posts: 28
    Anyone knows, in what southern state is Tacoma manufactured? Thanks
    The Tacoma is produced at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, California. I believe there is also a new plant in Baja, Mexico.
  • dockeendockeen Member Posts: 68
    Mine is from Baja.

Wayne
This discussion has been closed.