Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    How is everything with your Tacoma? What octane do you use?
    How about m.p.g.?
    Thanks!
  • dennwialldennwiall Member Posts: 11
    All new tacomas chained... Here is complete link list (2006 models are not there yet but all engines the same as 2005) Toyota timing Belt/Chain list
    Personally I don’t see any difference using 87 and 93, power and mpg remains the same on my preranner 05.
  • dockeendockeen Member Posts: 68
    I have used regular, midgrade and premium. I have not noticed any performance issues with the lower grades, and no pinging like I used to get with my B3000 when I put regular in it.

I have been getting right around 22 MPG.

Mine is a 2005, Double Cab, long bed, with the automatic transmission. I put a shell on it about a month ago.

I have about 5700 miles on it.

Wayne
    Thanks for the info people.
  • tommybrocktommybrock Member Posts: 6
    Putting shocks aside, I assume no performance difference on securing Skid Plates after-the-fact and adding versus buying a NISMO or TRD Off-Road which already has them.

Correct?
    And, ofcourse, proper tires.
  • gandalf1gandalf1 Member Posts: 62
    Interesting read. I compared both and decided on the Tacoma. So much of this stuff is subjective, i.e., Motor Trend picked the Tacoma as their 2005 Truck of the Year. The two trucks are both so good that for me it came down to the back seat of the Frontier making me feel like I was sitting at 'attention', and I couldn't see making someone ride back there for very long. The Tacoma back seat had a (seemingly) more reclined seat-back and therefore, more comfortable.

If you are planning on the 4-door crew cab style because you actually plan on people riding in the back, this is an important consideration.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    "The Tacoma back seat had a (seemingly) more reclined seat-back and therefore, more comfortable.

If you are planning on the 4-door crew cab style because you actually plan on people riding in the back, this is an important consideration."

I'm 6-1. With the driver's seat set where I am comfortable, I don't fit in the rear seat of the Tacoma, but I do in the Frontier, though still not as comfortable as in a larger truck. The limiting factor was real-world leg room. Fortunately, most of the time I use the rear seat for storage. In that respect, the rear seat of the Frontier is easier to stow and has more folding options than the Tacoma, which requires a multi-step process and removing the headrests to stow.
  • johnonesixjohnonesix Member Posts: 5
    I want to thank Goofball and Dennwiall for taking the time to reply. I have sent an E-mail to Toyota concerning the 2006. Need to know. Has anyone looked at the engines? The Nissan dealer told me that I don't need to worry about maintenance because they will take care of it and besides, do I Really plan on keeping my truck for over a 100,000 miles! I can change a spark plug but not on the frontier. What about the Aluminum engine block on the Nissans? doesn't that concern anyone? Concerning the Tacoma, the oil filter is up top and real easy to change but doesn't crap roll down hill. I have never seen this before.
  • gandalf1gandalf1 Member Posts: 62
    I'm 6-1. With the driver's seat set where I am comfortable, I don't fit in the rear seat of the Tacoma

Uh, if the driver's seat is set where you're comfortable, you don't have to fit in the rear seat, right? :) Just kidding. Actually, I have the spec's from a comparison test, and it shows the Frontier has 1 inch more rear leg room - 33.6 vs. 32.6 for the Tacoma.

Fortunately, my rear seat passengers are closer to 4 feet tall so the 1 inch of legroom shortfall is a moot point. And, they don't have to sit at attention in the Tacoma.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I have tried every octane from 87 to 93 and not noticed any difference in performance or engine sound. So I just run the cheap stuff now. I have gotten as much as 23 MPG, keeping it under 70mph on a long road trip. I have a 2005 V6, Auto, 4x4, Double Cab Tacoma.
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    The oil filter bracket has a funnel like thing to catch what little oil is left in the filter. A removable cap on the bottom allows you to catch what oil didn't drain back into the motor,usually 2 or 3 ounces. A small bottle works nicely.
  • tonyc6tonyc6 Member Posts: 2
    Just finalized a deal for a 2005 Frontier LE KC. I found a leftover at a local dealer and got a great deal. $1500 cash back and $2400 off sticker. To me it wasn't a hard choice. I drove the Tacoma and did not like the seating position. I know that this issue has been mentioned alot in this forum, but it cannot be understated. I just was not comfortable behind the wheel. Also did not like to look of the front. The Tacoma also felt "boaty" The Frontier is very responsive. This was a noticeable difference between the two trucks. I have been driving Toyota's for 20 years and still believe that they build the best vehicles on the road overall. However, they have more than met their match with the Frontier. This is a great looking, great driving truck. Plus, you will always get a better deal from Nissan. Looking forward to my new Frontier.
  • parapara Member Posts: 1
    Nismo rocks. My wife and I went to a Toyota dealership to trade in my 2003 Tacoma 4x4 for a 2005 Tacoma. However, the Toyota people were sharp negotiators even though we were return customers. I was bummed, because I'd been off-roading all over Colorado with my little Taco. Yep, I loved my Taco, even though it was totally anemic in the mountains where I work. We left the Toyota dealership and passed a Nissan dealership. There was a row of Frontiers, so we turned around and gave one a test drive. My wife was immediately sold on the much-improved aesthetics of the Frontier, but I wasn't sure about off-road performance. I made some calls from the cab of the Frontier and a friend confirmed (on the Edmunds web site) a few performance and pricing details. Got a great deal from Nissan, and I am LOVING those 265 horses! Went elk hunting the week after purchase, and the Nismo was flawless on remote dirt logging roads over slushy mud and ice. My hunting partner (he always buys "domestic") was sincerly astonished at the places we went in the Nismo. Got my elk too. I'm sure the '05 Tacoma is very good, but Nissan took care of me and I got a sweet truck at a great price from some very nice sales people. Taking the truck to the desert for some camping as soon as this cold snap wears off.
  • tonyc6tonyc6 Member Posts: 2
    I had a very similar experience with my Toyota dealer a few days ago. I have purchased 3 vehicles from them over the past 10 years, and was confronted with an indifferent attitude. Already had a deposit on my Frontier, but this experience sealed it for me. Glad you are enjoying your NISMO. I am looking forward to picking up my Frontier tomorrow.
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    :( While they are still very good,I think they are overated now. IMHO!
    I walked off our local Toy lot with a poor impression after a breif discussion on Toyota pricing. The salesperson explained that Access pricing was no longer, but that their selling price was set. When I asked if they would accept an offer he said no. I laughed and walked away not giving him a chance to prove it one way or another. And now, Toyota is set to become #1. Maybe they'll end up going the way of G.M.
    At this point, I agree with Critter...Toys are good, but,over rated.
    Enjoy your new Frontier Tony! You made a good choice.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    Tacomas are high priced, but demand has driven the prices. If you walk off the lot, they could not care less. They can only get so many anyway, and the next guy will take the one you looked at. And he will be happy to see that his truck will have lost less value 3 years down the road than competitors do the day they leave the dealer. I lost less than 20% after 4 years and 60K miles. That is why I went back. The fact that you see 5 or more new Tacomas for every new Frontier on the road proves that Toyota is not having problems with their selling techniques.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    Maybe not a problem for you but it is for me.
    I had the same problem with one of my local dealers and my wife drives a Solara. If they
    keep this same attitude in a few years when we are ready to trade she'll not be driving a Toyota.

I might add that the first Nissan dealer I went to would not even talk to me about a trade unless I wanted to sign the paper work for a new truck at the same time. I walked on him faster than I did on the Toyota dealer.

After an accident my wife had a year ago I had it fixed and then took it to the Toyota dealer
    to see what it was worth. I wanted to see if there was any loss due to the wreck.

The dealer could not even find where the repair had been done. It is a 2000 model and
    was 4 years old with a little less than 40,000
    miles. They gave us an estimate that was a little over 50% of the new value.

Of course the same dealer offered me about 35%
    of the value of my 2000 Frontier XE KC with
    20,000 miles. I ended up getting 73% of my value back on it when I sold it. not too bad for a 4 cylinder truck.

What surprises me the most after all I have heard on this thread is the fact that my Frontier and my wife's Solara sit side by side in the garage and seem to get along famously together.

They are both excellent rides and look good too.

OkieScot
    :):) Buy a NISMO a much better deal and bang for your $$$$. Also looks like Jeep coming out with Gladiator Pickup in late 06. The concept truck looked awesome to me. Then there's Jeep reliability,If they offer the 70,000 warrnty on it then might be worth a look. Dodge Dakota needs more QA on them so they are alternative to TOY! In couple years TOY may have to sing a different song.
    I agree, no matter how good your product is if you treat your customers like dirt they will not continue to come back.

I think my wife's Solara is the nicest car I have ever owned, but if they treat me like they did on my truck buy when I am looking for a replacement for her I will not be owning another Toyota.

There are too many cars out there now that are almost as nice and pretty is as pretty does.

OkieScot
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    Hi all,
    I think car manufactures, Toyota included, are using statistics, demographics etc to go after market share. So don;t be surprise if they don't care to piss you or me once in while as long their targeted audience are in the bags.

Toyota earns it's reputation for reliability, though, my 95 Ford ranger should probably up there as well. I only had to replace the thermostat and EGR sensor other than oil changes. The truck is under mileage at 80k but very sturdy. Now my Audi is different story.

Only time will tell if Toyota will evolve into another GM, I doubt it. GM's problem is not solely reliability, the company reflects our social-security systems (very scarry). It borrows future money today and unfortunately the future is today for GM.
  • swampyoneswampyone Member Posts: 1
    First, let me say that I'm a professional wetlands biologist, so I took me vehicle selection very seriously. I plan to put 200,000 hard miles on this vehicle before I trade/sell. I have not owned a Toyata or Nissan vehicle before, so no "brand Loyalty" was involved. My choice was limited to the "mid sized" trucks on the market ( full size trucks can be difficult to maneuver in tight places we get into). I drove 5 makes a and finally had to decide between the Nissan and Toyota. I found several more features on the Nissan (boxed frame, 4 disc brakes, top 10 rated engine in the world, etc...) Both seemed to have other pluses and minuses but I finally chose the Nissan because it was the best buy. I have had it for six months and it has 9,500 miles on it. Its performed admirably and easily out performs the F-150 that we also have. It has had no problems, and so far its great. Perhaps I would have been equally satisfied with the Toyota, but Nissan had a better buy and more deluxe options. Hope this was helpful!
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    you people are messed up,how fast do you need to go!
    you should of bought a Muststang already,wake up guys...
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    the toy. Co. are so tight,they can keep their pitch and thats why I chose nissan over toy and I wanted a Toy too till test drove the Nissan,come over to nissan world where they just want to sell you a truck and not a pitch,their trucks are Aewsome!I've owned a 89,93,Now 2005 witch is the best I ever drove,the power the seating and the ride kick some serious *A*handles very nice, loves cornering the curves!!Rides like a Caddy,if you don't believe it go test drive one.....
    Amazing, Toyota sold almost 3 times more trucks over Nissan for year 2005 yet Frontier folks here on Edmunds forum (this particular thread) ten times more then Tacoma owners. What’s up with you frontier guys?...nervous?
    I am not sure what your post means, but I am certainly not nervous about anything to do with my truck nor yours for that matter. I am
    in fact very proud of my truck and very satisfied with it as well.

I also have a Toyota solara that my wife drives and I am equally as proud and satisfied with it too.

The funny thing to me is that inspite of all of the bickering on this thread both of my vehicles sit happily side by side in my garage.

Also my wife and I never have any heated discussions over the Toyota/Nissan controver-
    sy. I won't say that we don't ever have any heated discussions though, they are usually over more important matters.

OkieScot
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Looking at unit sales it'd be easy to assume that Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon are superb trucks, as they sell in numbers that nip at Tacoma's heels. Unit sales are interesting, but they are a result of price, marketing and product engineering perceptions. Toyota has an excellent reputation and their profits are the envy of the industry.

I'm a former long-term Toyota truck owner, but I'm going with an '06 Frontier because Toyota doesn't sell the Double Cab Tacoma 2WD with a manual tranny. Plus Frontier's 1-1/2" shorter length and 2" slimmer width make it easier to garage.
    :mad: It's better then the S10 series,but they were terrible for
    breaking. The Colorado 5 Cyl engine is a dog! If he quality holds and they put a V6 in,might be another option in year or 2. Hope TOY! gets more competition other then NISAN.
  • dockeendockeen Member Posts: 68
    I drove a Colorado before I got my Tacoma. My impression was that it didn't feel as tight as my B3000 that had 115K miles on it at the time.

Its funny, the number of people that report being put off at Toyota dealers. I found my experience reasonable and friendly. I was probably just lucky...I know I am not a uber negotiator..

Wayne
    I have not seen the numbers, but my guess would be that since they were giving them away this summer during the employee price promotion, that was the reason. I am a diehard Toyota guy after owning 3, but if I can't get what I want, i will cross the line too. When I went looking for my last truck, I decided it would be a stick. Thankfully the Tacoma 4X4 TRD was offered in a stick or I might me driving a Nissan. I have driven many Nissans of friends, and I cannot think of one negative. I just have had superior experiences with Toys. As for the 1 1/2 inch difference, I really don't think that is a factor. It starts being a factor when there are 10 inches of wheel base difference. That is why I got the short bed.
    Yes they make great truck,But not to extent that they are playing at deal time. NISMO is a BAD MOTHER! :)
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Your comment about dealers is spot on. I'm working with my third Nissan dealer right now. The previous duo repeatedly lost my phone number, wouldn't negotiate, etc. I felt like I was doing all of the heavy lifting. The guy who kept losing my phone number had said a week before that they hadn't sold hardly anything in weeks. Gee, I wonder why?
  • planetlndscprplanetlndscpr Member Posts: 1
    I just got an 06 TACOMA X/cab,On road Sport pack, V6 auto, Tow pack,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, $29,500 OTD """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""OUCH"""""""""""""""" (Not cheap no more). :confuse: Spent many hours,days testing and researching. Ended up between Frontier and Taco . I bet both r great. I chose Toyota for Resale,Reliability,MPG. I have had great luck with Toyota for 20yrs, STILL have an 87 MR2 and 88 4x4 running great :P .
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Toyota makes good cars and trucks and they have a good reputation. Therefore, they sell a lot of vehicles.

Nissan lost its way and was struggling for a few years. But now they are back.

People on this forum are automotive enthusiasts who tend to be very well informed. They know the Frontier is highly rated. Therefore, there are a lot of Frontier fans here. Unfortunately for Nissan, it is going to take a couple of years for the word to get out to the great unwashed masses who are not car nuts. When the perception catches up with reality, sales will increase.
    The only problem I had with the dealers is that they couldn't keep vehicles in stock. Trucks had owners before the wrapper was off (literally). There was a couple on the lots here and there, but I went looking for a 4 door Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 with a V6. There were none of any color. After a couple weeks, and 3 dealers I was lucky enough to find 2 identicle trucks on the lot. That was at 8:30 Saturday night. I bought the one that was left at 9:30 Sunday morning. One of the dealers I visited called me weeks later to say he had finally got one in. They don't need to deal. The trucks sell themselves. One thing I did encounter was that the salesmen were not very informed about their product. I had to answer my own questions by looking on the net. That kinda dissapointed me. Maybe it was an attempt to convince me not to wait for another truck. If they can't make another one look better, they will sell what is on the lot. Maybe they don't need much training because everyone researches the net anyway. They just need to know how to give you the keys and go "run that by the boss".
    I found the lack of knowledge of the product at
    every dealership I went to. I got the Tacoma and Frontier brochures took them home and studied them.

When I went to the dealerships handling both
    trucks I found that I was the only "expert" on the lot. I can't imagine trying to sell a product to anyone without taking the time to study up on it first.

As far as customers going on the net, I have quite a few friends who do not own a computer
    and even more that do not use it to research
    a product before they buy.

The sales people need to know the product.

OkieScot
  • toykicktoykick Member Posts: 104
    Damn Nissan Dealership Managers dont you guys have anything better to do? like get your sales up?!
    uttazaff! Glad you can afford what you want,but some of us
    have be more frugal. We must get best deal & bang for our buck! The Frontier Nismo is MUCH better deal then Tacoma, my fear is it's selling points will make them scarce too.
    Carmax in MD doesn't have any Nismo's 4x4 @ this writting,they get one and it's gone. 05 used or 06 new!
    I'm hoping some other mfger's step up and give them competion,we need more.
    :P :cry: uttazaff! Glad you can afford what you want,but some of us
    have be more frugal. We must get best deal & bang for our buck! The Frontier Nismo is MUCH better deal then Tacoma, my fear is it's selling points will make them scarce too.
    Carmax in MD doesn't have any Nismo's 4x4 @ this writting,they get one and it's gone. 05 used or 06 new!
    I'm hoping some other mfger's step up and give them competion,we need more.
  • qwert13qwert13 Member Posts: 24
    Simply out of curiosity, has anyone else received a notice from Nissan that starts out this this paragraph:

Nissan is committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. We know that towing a trailer may have been an important consideration in your vehicle's purchase. In new Titan, Armada, Pathfinder, Frontier, and Xterra vehicles, Nissan recently introduced enhanced electric circuitry which may further protect your vehicle from damage or fire caused by a short circuit wiring or mis-installation of trailer lighting or electrical accessories. This is to advise you that Nissan is making this production enhancement available to you free of charge so that you will have the same protection should you ever tow a trailer with a defective electrical system.
    I have not received anything in the mail on this, but there is a recall on it. You can see
    it at: www.nissanhelp.com/recalls/frontier/2005.htm.

I have the parts on order at my dealer to fix that and the TSB on the jump seat on the KC's falling down. Parts are supposed to be here Tuesday and I'll probably go in Wednesday to have it fixed.

You can see the TSB's at the same website, just click on bulletins instead of recalls.

OkieScot
  • willsimwillsim Member Posts: 33
    Yes, a couple of weeks ago. I think its for some of the early build trucks.
    I paid $28K not 30K. And the difference in new costs will be made up at trade time. :P
    28 or 30 G's still to much. :)
    Out of curiousity, I went on line and priced a NISMO that is equally equiped. Only came in $3K higher than what I paid. Of course it has a sunroof that my Tacoma does not have. For 3k, I will look out the windows.
    Can't be right with comparable equipt. I researched them Nismo much more standard then TRD. Toy hits you with options to get same equipt as Nismo. And it could be more if dealer wants to move a truck. I know I priced the 2 trucks too and Toy TRD much more and dealers hard to deal with. Take it for what it's worth. Personally I don't care if you have Toy $$$ and like it better so be it,I just think all things considered NISMO better for me. But both are great midsize trucks can't go wrong with either. :)
  • roadracer98roadracer98 Member Posts: 1
    Im picking up an 06 Nismo king Cab 4x4 6 speed with the bed upgrade and audio upgrade tomorrow. I can wait. 23,654 + tax and license. I wanted the crew cab but I need a truck with a bed.
    10-4 RoadRacer98, was $23,654 the bottom line. I will be looking for deal come late June early July. I may have to go with SE truck I'm on tight budget. I will be looking for King 4x4 auto with posi rear. Saw 06 SE at Carmax that war $22,108 + taxes. It had the posi rear. I run sandy beaches fishing & posi rear is a big plus.I could buy a used right now,but I can afford a new one come early summer,circumstances will be better. Can't wait till then. :)
This discussion has been closed.