Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XIII

Comments

• rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Don't any of you guys WORK?

I have an excuse... I teach high school and I don't believe in Summer school.

Anyway, I'm not 50, I just act like it (damn kids, get off my lawn). I'm 37. Or something like that. Damn numbers always get in the way of my math classes.

Is it better to be a smartass than a dumbass?

Richard
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    RYAN: Don't listen to these idiots trying to tell you how to lube your squeaky armrest...play it safe and rip it outta there.

DCH0300: Whats that stand for anyways?? Your are ordering a nice truck. Give your 89 a decent burial, say your goodbyes and you won't even look back once you do drive your brand new Silverado!
    p.s...I lived in Poulsbo most of my life.

SINISTER'S TRUCK: I got a kick out of everybody jumping over KHHARRIS for his comment on the modifications to the above mentioned truck. Hell, that's the fun of a forum like this, we all got our opinions and this is where we air 'em out. Nothing should ever be taken personnaly. By the way, I agree with him, I think he ruined a beautiful truck as well.

RWAGONNER: Back in 1970 I was a school teacher as well. Only lasted a year though...thats how long it took for me to realize that teaching would have been a lot more fun if it weren't for them damn kids!

clay
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I'm not gone...just forgotten, except by you. Thanks. Long 4th holiday weekend away from 'puter had me driving fence posts, swatting flies, repairing flesh tears from barbed wire. I wore eye protection...that's good. Didn't wear ear protection...that's where I got gouged when the wire sprang at me. Wasn't all work..saw a huge black bear on Monday, and surprised a little black bear in the gulch on Tuesday.

Just catching up on 75 posts or so. I see you all have been misbehaving...carrying on the oil topic without me (LOL!)
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    Geeez !! On a normal day I sit at my desk and I usually try to read or check out the posts a couple of times a day. Today and the remainder of the week I'm in a class and away from my PC so I only get to check at the end of the day - How many posts can we have in a day?? I'm tired of reading - you guys are amazing.

Since I use the autologin feature I don't see the Top 10 topics usually - I just had to go check - we are number 1 right now with 65 new posts today and still a ways to go before the end of the day.

For a couple of responses - I got the black handles on black truck as well - of course the black matte not painted black. Will admit though, friends just picked up their new Yukon XL and not only are the handles actually PAINTED to match but so are the mirrors, pickups are chrome. I don't know if the painted only comes with a certain trim level or all of them, I don't pay that much attention to them, but they are sharp.

Oil changing - I don't do it myself anymore, but have for years in the past, my vehicle as well as several farm vehicles and 8 or 10 tractors. You just get used to the fact that you're going to make a mess once in a while. As well - on that tractor you just get used to checking every time you get on!! Make it habit.

When draining oil though - hot or cold, within about 4 or 5 minutes virtually all of the oil will drain out of the vehicle either way.

Greg
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    on your decision. You will have a nice truck. With respect to you, may I suggest you consider the bucket seats over the 40/20/40. Of course if you need to ride 3 in the front or need the room that is understandable. The console with buckets is awesome IMHO.
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    For those of you with upgraded tires and the HPP III. I found an article that talks about the perfect/precise speedometer. It is GPS based and from http://www.intellitronix.com/. I went and looked at their web site but there is nothing there yet.

However, I had the doh factor go off in my head. I have a GPS and love playing with it, but had not thought about using it to check my speedometer. I did this past weekend.

I've put on 285's and used 32" in the HPP. What I've found is at 40 MPH my speedometer is slow by about .5 MPH. At 70 it is slow between 1.2 to 1.5 MPH. When getting the speedometer needle perfectly on 70 the GPS registers 71.2 to 71.5 and fluctuates just a tad back and forth.

I'm back in CA this week and in the rented pickup and tried the GPS here. It is stock with 5.3 L, 3.73 gears and 245 tires. The speedometer is just about dead on, maybe fluctuates by .2 to .5 MPH.

I may play with this when I have more time at home, but I think 32" is about as good as it gets for the HPP III and 285's. If anyone else has a scientific method that says otherwise I'm interested in hearing it.

Greg
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    We dont stop we keep going and going and going like the energizer bunny.

Listen to this one i was telling my dad how my arm rest squeaked and my brother was like oh yea the passenger side does too i checked it and ill be damned that one squeaks too. I think im gonna take bass advice and rip it out haha. Its not a big deal i love this truck a little noise once in a great while wont bother me all that much.

DAVID - good luck. They wont bother you only me i think its more because of my age than anything. I dont care this forum is great.

Richard - darn well your next truck you can get carmine haha.

Ryan
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Hi Nperkins,
    Yes, I don't think you or your wife are old but you must be since Ryan says only old people drive the Carmine Red trucks. I love them myself.
  • khharriskhharris Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for the support about sinisters truck like you say nothing personal just not my cup of tea.I think I'm going to take the plunge on the edelbrock shocks.00 LT 1500 ext cab Z71 5.3L,2500 miles and flawless,next oil change due at 5K,I'm going with 10/30 M1 and PF59.

Kirk
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    if it makes you feel any better, my armrest
    squeaks too. it started when the truck got to
    9,000 mi. DO NOT OIL IT. take the truck to the
    dealer and have them put a right angle zerk in.
    this way it can be greased whenever you grease
    the rest of the truck. my passenger side does'nt
    squeak but i'm gonna have a zerk installed on it
    anyway. also don't listen to the guys about
    summer or winter air for tires. go with all
    season multi pressure air. you can get it in
    35/40 lb. or other pressures.

good luck,
    red
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I was going to say my handles match my truck too..but I decided to be silent..

Rwag....smart [non-permissible content removed] or dumb [non-permissible content removed]..hmmm...how about a dumb smartass??

LOL

And what does Ryan know about Carmine?.....I think Blue is for Punks..

hehehhhhee

- Tim
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    is someone on fire tonight or what. he he he
    I never said i didnt like carmine. Its just not a color for me its a nice color much better than red.

If blue is for punks oh well then im a punk. Im gonna wear my hat backawards now so i look like one.

Oh yea old people dont add accessories to their truck either and if they do its usually a cap. You can always tell the younger crowd (nerf bars grill guard) haha uh oh i started another controversy.

Ryan
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Oil fill at 6.0 quarts. Helms specifies 6.0 quarts. Most dealers service departments guys are not knowledgeable about the new trucks?

I got the color keyed door handles on my white '00 Silverado LT 4WD. They are black to match my tires. I don't like the handles that match the body paint. My $.03 (inflation to cover the increased cost of gas :) )
    Dustyone
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    BTW, my Denali's service dept's Shop Foreman did not pass this test nor did the shop foreman before him nor the service manager: Which SUV from the list below would you offer as a test drive as a substitute for a '00 Denali.

a) 2000 Yukon XL 2500 SLT 4x4
    b) 2000 Yukon 1500 Z71
    c) 2000 Escalade
    d) 2000 Envoy

The first shop foreman picked (a)...he no longer is the shop foreman. The new shop foreman also picked (a) but service manager has no replacement yet. Service manager states they should know better. The Denali is a half ton so the correct answer is (b). Damn these are the guys I have to rely on to fix my truck. So the four SUV's were lined up and I picked (c) the SM and the foreman looked concerned, so I had to ask, what's wrong...they tell me there is no comparison between the Escalade and Denali cause the Escalade has softer seats and will automatically ride smoother since it is a Caddilac. NOW I really am concerned about my truck...
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    Still chuckling over your post. That was good.

KIRK: Yeah, we all need to keep an open mind in here. Sounds like you and I got the same truck, 'cept mine has almost 8500 miles now. I do like Mobil 1 5/30. I almost always have used Wix filters except now the local WalMart has tons of the P59 at half the price so I bought some of those. I am real comfortable with AC/Delco parts so it's really no big deal. I went with the 6 way power buckets and console and am sure glad I did. We all have our favorite colors, mine is Med Charcoal Grey with the graphite cloth. I've lost count of the amount of people that have come up to my truck and commented on how much they like it. I'm sure everyone here has had similar experiences. Mine is stock except I added a bug deflector, (no wind noise), and a bedliner and a fiberglass tonneau cover that I never have on it. I bought it mostly for trips. The only thing I have left to do is to run a dual exhaust system but have yet to make up my mind on which way to go there. Geez, now i gotta sell my "cap" cause RYAN says only us old farts have them. Darn it, I liked that cap to!!

Gettin' late,

clay
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    We're older and wiser. Caps are good.

Allows me to lock my surfboard in the back when I stop somewhere on the way back from the beach, take my dogs somewhere, throw all my camping gear in the back and have it protected, or sleep if I don't feel like setting up a tent.

You young people just like cosmetic useless crap like grill guards because they're "cool."

Now get off my lawn.

Richard
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Is that one of those safe sacs they are always talking about?
    Whats an "old" person like you doing with a surfboard? haha

My dad wants me to get a lid or cap i was like hmmm no i dont wanna lose the nice tailgate guard i really like that thing.

My dogg rides in the ext cab only bad things is all the damn dogg hair.

Ryan
    Well i used the just run water and do piece by piece of the truck. It worked nicely thanks guys. Great piece of advice.

It doesnt look like rain today uh oh think my streak is broken???

Ryan
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Ryan,
    The Gaylord fiberglass tonneau cover is molded to fit around the tailgate guard. Truckin Magazine will tipically have a picture of one in an ad.

Jerry
  • dennyaddisdennyaddis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Ext-Cab Chevrolet Sivlerado with 65000 miles. I am on 3rd master cylinder and wandered if anyoned has had problems with brakes/master cylineders?
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    i must be gettin' old. don't like grill guards, but am looking to get a cap sometime down the road. not crazy about the carmine red though. i like it, just like black better. must be middle-aged, i guess.

red - good call on the mobil one filter. i watched my oil pressure on this last trip i took (with pf 59). averaged right around 60. since installation of mobil one filter, been averaging around 50-55. interesting...

kyle
  • smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    Ryan,
    Since you're the official age consultant to the Silverado forum (and the 2000 Olympics?) I MUST have you review my choice(s) as I consider myself yet to be a young man.

I will be purchasing as soon as available:
    2001 Silverado Ext cab LT 4X4 (Z71?) in Carmine Red with the new medium neutral II interior.

Add-ons: ASC sunroof, CD changer, bazooka 8" subwoofer, XPEL clear plastic chip protection on hood and rocker panels, Chevrolet splash guards, soft tonneau cover, Line-x UTR.

I'm 37, drive in all lanes, look behind me when I back-up, and don't start sentences with "When I was your age...". I am extremely worried that I may end up with the equivalent of the wood-paneled Griswold family truckster. Do I have enough options? What do you advise?

Signed,
    Silveradoless in Seattle
    First of all get the Z71. Itll make you "younger" haha.

All the add on stuff sounds good. I wish gm had the sunroof factory installed i would never get an aftermarket put in (just me).

It all sounds good.

I am too thinking of getting a bazooka tube. I dont know when though i want all the cosmetic accessories first.

Good luck on your oredering process hope its a fast one. I doubt u will beat my record of 28 days from order being accepted to delivery to dealership.

The olympics are this year??? Where are they at isnt in australia??? Good day mate.

Ryan
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    smikes -
    I'm probably going to go thru Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg Idaho. He sells Dodge and GM products via ordering only, and charges only invoice price + $218 for dealer prep. The invoice price for my truck including all options, destination & dealer prep is $27,225. And with my Boeing employees discount of $500, that makes my cost $26,725. When they mail be the price list to review prior to my ordering, I'm going to take it around to some local dealers and see how close they can get to his price. If they can't, I'll order it thru Dave Smith, then fly to Spokane for $75, take his free shuttle to Kellogg and break-in my new Silverado by driving the 400 miles back to Everett taking the nice, 60 mph max, scenic Highway 2. Naturally, I'd rather have a local dealer order my truck, but if they can't get close to invoice, too bad. If I can order my truck by July 15th, I should be able to pick it up at the end of September 2000.

tex6 -
    I'd love to get the bucket seats, but I've got to have potential seating room for 6 people (myself, wife, 3 year old son, 6 month old daughter, and the mother-in-law and father-in-law). So it has to be the 40/20/40 front seat. And I will die before I buy a mini-van! Plus during hunting season (50 cal. muzzleloader for me), a dead deer or elk fits better in the back of a Silverado than in a mini-van.

-David
    Only way i am gonna get a lid is if my dad (who wants one on it) buys it. I seen one on a silverado with the lip on the guard it looked kinda funny i didnt like it to much. nice feature is the roof rack looking thing on the top of the lid dont see to many trucks with those.

Ryan
    Since I want the ever popular Carmine LT, my salesman figures he will be able to find/receive it without any hassles. I'm in no hurry since I bus/bike to work and will only use it on the weekends really.
    Hopefully they will be able to find you one.
    Back in february the salesman who sold my dad his blazer found out i was buying a truck he found one with everything yes even the flares but it didnt have the locking rear. It was 2000 mls away. he searched his computer and he only found one and it wasnt exactly like it. My truck is pretty unique then haha.

Ryan
    DCH0300 - I'm curious to know the general details of how a Boeing employee qualifies for a discount.
    I'm not a Boeing worker but will investigate discounts that may be available to me through my own employer based on your information...
    Where do you work. Usually only GM suppliers get these discounts. I got it through my dad (works for a steel company).

Ryan
    Ryan,
    I'm a Nordstrom employee. We have quite a few discounts/incentives through partnerships with other companies. BMW happens to be one, or atleast it was. I'm always surprised to hear who we have some agreement with.
    I don't know what it's called, but that thing you can put in the square hitch hole in the rear when you don't have your hitch ball inserted? I've seen all kinds of those with advertising, sports teams, etc. Has anyone seen one that looks like the gold bowtie on the front of the Silverado?
    Hitch receiver covers. I have a Z71 cover.

I have seen a nice one oval that says silverado and has the gold bowtie but it says silverado in blue. I have yet to see a plain one just with a bowtie. Ill let you know if i see one. Ive been coming across many of them lately. I still like the remove to tow ford one haha.

Ryan
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    haven't seen any in gold, but the local pep boys has one that's all chrome. prob'ly in the neighborhood of $20-$25. i just got a rubber plug at walmart...$8.

kyle
    What in the heck? A gmc truck with Chevy wheels??????? Did you change out the grill to a billet style with no gmc insignia???

Its funny to see older trucks at work all F-150s with old chevy rims.

Hey whatever floats ur boat.

Those gmc wheels are ugly i must say

Ryan
  • timhtimh Member Posts: 5
    Hi guys,
    I'm new to this thread. And believe that every problem that exists with the Silverado has more then likely been hashed over and solved a dozen times. But being that there are are about 2000+ posts in this thread i don't have the time to read them all.
    So please bear with me.

'00 LS, 2wd w/5.3L, extended cab. About 5500 miles. Problems (hope there are answers):
    1. I know there has been some issue regarding the windshield seals on the Silverado. Mine was fine until I installed a WeatherTech bug guard. Now it sounds, at speed, like there is a popcorn maker going off in my cab.
    2. After warming up, the engine makes a rather loud ticking sound (lifters?). Also I can hear what sounds like preignition pings when accelerating, even though I am running 89 octane fuel (SoCal - near ocean - about 75 degrees ambient). The ticking sound, after I lift the hood, also almost sounds like the belts or pulley bearings.
    3. Passenger door rattles. I've heard a rumer about stripped window fasteners. Anybody else?
    4. Airconditioning compressors fails to shut off. Whenever I use the A/C I have to actually stop the vehicle, shut down and restart, to get the compressor to stop cycling. This is with the flow to dash vents (not defrost) and non-recirc.

I know some of this sounds ambiguous, but I was hoping someone else had had the same experience and maybe some advice.
    Thanks,
    Tim H.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    either get a different bug guard..or seal down the rubber flaps in your cowl with silicone...

The tick is a problem many have...if not all and they just don't notice it..

I have a new theory guys!.....these trucks have 8 coils..instead of 1 in the rear....maybe the sound is coming from that source?....I have never had this sound...and I have never had 8 coils....hmmm

Door rattle....dunno

A.C compressor....bad sensor switch of some kind?...again....dunno

Good luck

- Tim
    ping...switch plugs to NGK TR55 or Bosch Plus 4...should read plugs
    dump the weathertech and get a lund interceptor

ping...switch plus to NGK TR55 or Bosch +4 (#4459)

one of the magazines had the support bolts for the windows were cross threaded and came loose to cause window rattle. either way prob #3 and 4 should be handled under warranty by your very helpful and knowlegeable Chevy dealer
  • j_offroadj_offroad Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 K1500 Extended Cab, it is 4X4 but without the Z71 package.
    What all was included with the Z71 option?
    I know about the Bilsteins and the Skid plates, was there any thing else?
    The ride height appears the same, mine has front stabilizer but not one on the rear.
    I don't care about the shocks but would like to add the Skid plates, any place other that dealer to get them? How many Skid plates are there on the Z71?
    What is your idea about the problem with the a/c compressor in earlier post? I like your statement "knowledgeable and helpful Chevrolet dealer"
    I believe the term you are looking for is "hitch plug" Go to www.cabelas.com and type hitch plug in search engine. Sinister (poster on this BBS) may also help. He had the gold bowtie on his truck. See pictures in earlier post.
    My best guess would be a faulty relay. My 97.5 Regal GS would turn the a/c "ON" after I turned the car "OFF" which kept killing the battery. Was found to be a bad relay switch. I would think that since the problem is not intermittent, the dealer should be able to duplicate and resolve the issue. Keyword of course is "should be"
    Try a local off-road accessory shop in your area or pick up a copy of 4-Wheeler or Off-Road Magazine and call up some of the advertisers such as Desert Rat or 4-Wheel Supply.

Jerry
    Tex6 - thanks for the info.

sinister - Is your hitch plug a gold bowtie? If so where did you get it? I'd really like to find a hitch plug in that Chevrolet gold foil. Also, I was looking through your photos again and had to laugh. Your 'rado is a first cousin to a monster truck and there's a handicap parking sign peaking out from behind the back bumper in one of the photos...
    You may also want to contact an "auto recycler", i.e. junkyard, to see if they have any 90's Z-71's and if the plates are availible.

Jerry
    Other than the absence of a factory sunroof, I find only one other feature I wish was a part of the X-cab 'rado. A folding 60/40 rear bench seat. I had one of these in my Integra and it was great. Just flip (down in this case) one of the sides and you had extra storage and could still fit a body (maybe two) in the back. This seems like an easy interior feature GM missed...
    looks like you have to trade for an Avalanche...
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Has anyone ever seen or heard of a bowtie hitch plug that is actually another brake light. The bowtie assembly would fit into the hitch plug and the electrical would plug into the hitch electrical socket. The bowtie lights up bright red when you step on the brake.
    If nobody makes one of these, they should.
    I think it would be really cool!
    Maybe I should design, patient and make them.

Hmmmmm...
    -David
This discussion has been closed.