Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• bobcathbobcath Member Posts: 13
    Definitely a buzzing sound. Like you said: "metal on metal." Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • cobragtcobragt Member Posts: 95
    Actually, for this one, no, I don't have any ideas. I was asking because I get that same sound when I start my car, but only when its cold out. I tested something, and I also get it if I just pull off right away without letting the car warm up, then at a certain RPM the sound does it again. But if its a warm day, or I let the engine warm up like its suppose to, then I don't hear it.

I'm still trying to figure out if this is a serious problem, or just something stupid do the the cold weather.
  • bobcathbobcath Member Posts: 13
    Now that you mention it, I also get it when first driving off in the morning before the car has warmed up. Thought someone mentioned the fan rubbing against the cowling. Could also be some harmonic. I just don't know.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    I have never heard this on my 06 GT, cold morning start or not.
    Just thought I would share with you guys how much people down in Pueto Rico are paying for 05/06 GT's Hows $37,000.00 + sound for a deal? Floored me when I heard the mark up, but this is common on almost all make and models. Maybe this is why Suzuki seems to be the most popular car down here. I can't wait to get back home, my headers have arrived and I am dying to put them on!
    Thats funny you mention that. The guys over in Germany I hear are paying something ridiculous like $50 Gs or more. Its like a luxury car to them over there. Ha.
  • tomford1tomford1 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought an 06 Retro Stang!(not the GT) Nice! I change my own oil anyone know the socket size for the oil drain bolt before I get under there? I'm going to change it at 1,000 miles due to break in. Then every 4-5K.
    Thanks in advance! :surprise:
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Always have loved the Stang... wondering if the quality of the 2006s has improved over the 04/05's that I've been reading about on here?
    Specifically looking at GT Convert (maybe hard top).
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    3rd year is usually the charm. Consumer testing on domestic cars has historically been the first couple of years - sometimes it is three. It is possible they get it right in the first year, but not likely. I would consider the '07. New Consumer Reports Auto edition should be out soon. Will be interesting to see how the Stang and other new cars are doing. The 2004 year is suppose to be very good for reliability. Was 2005 better than average, or average???

Loren
  • markdstmarkdst Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I bought my Mustang about 6 months ago now and I am still having that probelm with the filling, it gets a it irritating to say the leaast when it takes 20 mins to fill especially when the petrol station is busy! have you heard of any solutions to this? I was told by the seller that it was an anti-syphen trap problem and was told that the spring shopuld loosen up in a few months but 6 months on the problem still persists. Could you perhaps reccomend someone who could do a 5k service on my Mustang for me?

Mark
    If you read a few posts abouve, you will see a link to the 05/06 Mustang TSB. (Technical Service Bulletins) The problem you are having is a known issue that has been talked about on here 100 times. If you take your car to any Ford dealership, they have to replace the gas tank free of charge. Also, as a temporary resolution, hold the gas nozzle upside down, and that will allow you to fill your tank without it cutting off.
  • jetboyb747jetboyb747 Member Posts: 3
    yeah, i had similiar problems with a couple CD's and it is because of the copyright stuff. sent an e-mail to EMI Canada, who have an entire site dedicated to people having problems with stupid copy protected CD's. So I downloaded it in itunes as MP3 and then burnt the CD. The burnt CD plays fine. Go figure that one out!
    my 05 is in the shop because of water in the trunk too. this is the first post in many different sites that had same problem. i realized it when they asked me for the lock nut to rotate the tires. i kept it in the spare tire compartment. when i looked in there, it was filled with about two inches of water! did they fix this for you?
    Just got my car back and they had to take all of the interior moldings out of the trunk and reseal everything.
  • joelbjrjoelbjr Member Posts: 5
    Is there anyone out there not having a problem with their 2005 V6 convertible? I bought mine last July and other than an annoying A/C compressor click (which was fixed) I haven’t had any problems. No popping, grinding, dripping, or skipping. This is a daily driver (though I do keep it off the streets when the snow in on the road) putting about 80 miles/day to work and back. As far as the slow fuel tank fill I have noticed this to be an issue but it only happens at certain pumps with the vapor recovery system. Same pumps cause a problems with the wife’s’ Passat also. :):)
  • tampabilltampabill Member Posts: 5
    "...If you take your car to any Ford dealership, they have to replace the gas tank free of charge"
    I do not htink this is entirely true. I took my 3 month old 2006 GT Premium convertible to Ernie Haire here in Tampa with 2500 miles on it and they did not mention anything about a new tank.
    They did hand me this TSB and sent me on my way - tank still stops at 7 gallons on filling and than have to "beg" the tank to fill.

TSB 06-3-13
    TSB
    06.3-13

0 FUEl FILL-SLOW OR DIFFICULT TO FILL

Publication Date: February 3, 2006

FORD: ISSUE°

2005-2006 Mustang
    ~~ "

Some 2005-2006 Mustang vehicles may experience premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle. Several variables,,including variations in fuel pump nozzles, fuel flow rates, and fuel flow pressure mayn+ouKinthepremature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle making it more difficult to fill the fuel fuel tank, The automatic shut off in the fuel fill nozzle may trigger multiple times after delivering several gallons of fuel or it may trigger repeatedly when attempting to establish fuel flow into the fuel tank, The latter concern may be more common when adding fuel to a vehicle where the fuel level is at or above 1/2 full.
    ACTION;
    Refer to Service Procedure. SERVICE PROCEDURE
    On 2005 Mustangs vehicles built before 4/26/2005 that experience premature automatic shut-off of the fuel fill nozzle more than occasionally may benefit from replacing the fuel tank with a revised design tank per TSB 05-15-12. The revised design fuel tank may reduce the occurrence of premature automatic shut off.
    On 2005 Mustang vehicles built on or after 4/26/2005 and 2006 model year vehicles were built with the revised design fuel tank. As a result, replacing the fuel tank on these vehicles will not change the occurrence of automatic fuel fill shut off. Occurrences of premature shut-off may be resolved or improved by using a different filling station fuel pump. Unauthorized modifications and/or alterations to the vehicle are not reimbursable under warranty and are not recommended for this issue,
    OTHER APPUCABLE ARTICLES:
    05-15-12
    WARRANTY STATUS: Information Only
    DEALER CODING

NOTE The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ...OTHER APPUCABLE ARTICLES: ...

Is that your typo or theirs? Seems fishy. The dealer might be trying to give you a snow job.
  • tampabilltampabill Member Posts: 5
    "APPUCABLE" - my scanner misread
  • stanglexstanglex Member Posts: 1
    I think that i have the some problem. Did you find the solution?
  • ryetallicaryetallica Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys. My 05 V6 is my very first car I have ever purchased. I've always wanted a mustang and I finally got one. I picked it up on January 3rd, 06. One of the last 05 modesl they had so I got mine at the end of the year. For the last few weeks I've been getting this vibrating noise when I put it in drive. Sounds like its coming from the dash area. Is this normal? When I'm driving it goes away but when I come to a stop at a red light, or slowing down to come to a stop, there it is a again, vibrating. Its loud enough. But it seems that when the temperature gauge is in the middle, it stops. So maybe its only when the car is cold? I just don't remember it happening when I first got the car. Also...rather curious about the overdrive thing. Is the over drive always on when you start the car? Should I turn it off for in city driving? I also checked when my car was made and the sticker on the inside says 11/4. I haven't experienced the problem filling up and I've filled up about 6 times now, full tank every time. Hopefully it won't happen later. Any info would be great guys. Gonna' go check my trunk for water right now. I've never used the car for shopping or what not..just to get to work and enjoy a few rides.
    Well, if the car is still cold, perhaps the engine is revving higher and the car is trying to slip into 1st gear. Most every car, in that case will rumble a little. Just keep it in neutral at the stop lights. And the overdrive off while in town driving so the transmission is not having to go into highest gear, then right back on down, hunting as ya go in say 40 MPH areas.
    -Loren
    I hope this was not an attempt to prove something to me.... ? :confuse:

I am well aware of the TSB, and I was just trying to help him out...if he is having the issue, the car IS still under warranty, and whether he has a later build date or not, Ford is still responsible, and may still attempt to replace the gas tank. Trust me I know, I've talked with a couple dealerships on this issue as well as others.

If you intended that post for him, then reply to his question...and not my statement.
  • jerseymustangjerseymustang Member Posts: 3
    I bought my '06 Mustang coupe with the pony package two months ago. On one side of the car, part of the tape stripe came off. (Probably in the car wash.) The dealer replaced it, and a week later part of it came off again. I had it re-done. Same thing. Now, for the third time, a piece came off yet again in the car wash. I am about to get my fourth stripe put on. Anyone else with this problem? Could it be a temperature problem? (It's been cold here) Each time I've waited at least a week before having it washed. The dealer can't figure out what the problem is so far. This time I'm leaving it with the dealer for 10 days while I'm on vacation so they can keep it inside. Any other suggestions?
  • nowgfstcatnowgfstcat Member Posts: 19
    Sounds like the dealer isn't removing the wax before putting the stripe on. Make sure they use rubbing alcohol or something similar to remove the wax from the clearcoat. Otherwise it will come up everytime.
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    they can paint it on if they cant figure it out.
  • jerseymustangjerseymustang Member Posts: 3
    I thought about the wax also, and will talk to the dealer about it. However that doesn't explain why the original factory stripe came off in the first place. As far as having it painted on, I'm talking about the wide Pony stripe with the MUSTANG lettering, not a pinstripe.
    That can be painted on also.
  • nowgfstcatnowgfstcat Member Posts: 19
    I'm not sure if Ford is the same as Chevy but when I had ordered my pace car, there was a box in the trunk that has some of the decals for the dealer to put on. Are you sure the factory puts the rocker panel stripes on? They might just send them with the car for the dealers to install. If that's the case, then I'd bet somebody and your dealer doesn't know how to but viynl on.
  • n4crn4cr Member Posts: 1
    The Stripe problem is caused by a Ford supplier, the adhesive is bad. My side stripes were replaced by a local vendor, and paid for by Ford. The car has been washed several times with no stripe problems noted. The graphics shop that replaced my rocker stripes advised that mine was the eighth mustang to be repaired by them since 01-01-2006
  • smeadows1978smeadows1978 Member Posts: 10
    Several months ago someone side-swiped my Mustang in a parking lot and somehow managed to rip off the edge of the stripe you're talking about. I had it replaced because I thought the car wash would eventually wear off the rest. I've never had a problem with the stripe since, after many washes. My stripe was a "dealer option" and put on by the mechanics at the dealership, not the factory. I live in N.J, too, so my advice is to visit another dealer.
    Just a thought that came to me recently. Been having much more luck with a CD's that have been burned MP3 rather than CDMA or whatever the generic format is. This on my deck seems to help the skipping if you have it.

D
  • buckeyebeautybuckeyebeauty Member Posts: 4
    I have several problems with my 2005 Mustang V6 Convertible, built July05, purchased Oct05, mileage 3100, auto transmission. I have spent three days reading through the 1000+ messages posted here. I love my mustang, but I am not happy with the problems I have had.

First problem (and most annoying):
    There is a rattle in my front end. My rattle sounds like is it in the front of the car, possibly the dash, more driver's side than passenger side. They added a dampner, and it still rattles. I have read through this forum about a strut bushing/bracket kit that has helped others--what is this and could it help my rattle? I have read about different vibrations at different RPMs. I am not a car person, so I am not sure what that means...my rattle is noticeable when I pull out of my driveway, on the way to the grocery, driving under 40 mph. I have read there is a TSB about a rattle from the transmission bell housing area--could this be my problem? I have also read something about a crossmember replacement?

Second problem:
    When I took my mustang in for the rattle, they found a transmission leak. They removed the transmission and replaced a seal. It was still leaking. They did something to the torque converter. They said I would not have noticed this leak on my own...wasn't I lucky that they found it. My question is, is this a minor problem or a big problem? I feel some concern that this car is not so reliable.

Third problem:
    Gas tank refilling. Same problem I have read that many people have. According to the Service Bulletin, since my car was built after 4/26/05, it should have a revised design and no problem. Well, not so. What should I do?

Fourth problem:
    My side stripe that says "Mustang" is peeling off on one side. Will the dealership fix this?

Thanks for any help.
    Hi,

The new Mustang is a great car. I now have almost 42,000 miles on my GT and shes still going strong. It's a good car.

#1 The rattle you speak of. Does it do it when you are making a sharp turn, then you hear that sound, or just when driving down the road?
    If it does it driving down the road, does it seem to rattle when you hit a bump? Is it very noticable in the car? Sounds like the dash itself might be loose, it could even be the seal between then dash and the front windshield.
    The crossmember was an issue of mine, which replacement of that solves the vibrations at certain RPMs. I know you said you are not a car person, and I don't think what you described is the same problem related to the RPM vibration, BUT, just incase, when you drive, take extra steps to see if you can get the car to hang around 3100 RPMS. I know thats prolly inpossible with the auto unless you put it in 1st or 2nd, and then listen. The vibrations are VERY noticable. I don't think the V6 model had that issue though.

2nd, A transmission leak could possibly be a big problem. Depends on where, what and how much its leaking. If they fixed it then great. Remember, keep an eye on it, and if its something you can't see, then make sure you take it to get checked every so often. If they have to fix the same problem 3 times or more, lemon law kicks in and they have to give you a new vehicle.

3rd, As I explained to someone else, even though your build date was after the redesign of the gas tank, if you are having that problem...take it back and demand a replacement, the car is under warranty and the must replace it. Also, does it do it at just one or 2 particular stations, or at random ones? For a temporary solution, turn the nozzle upside down, or to the side, and it should fill no problem.

4th, I'm not quite sure about this one. However, if it was a factory or dealer installed option, then it is their responsibilty to resolve any problems. I've read a few topics about the stripe coming off, and the people have had them replaced or repaired by the dealership.

Hope it helps.
  • ryetallicaryetallica Member Posts: 3
    Just bought my V6, '05 automatic back to the dealers today so they can look at it. After the car has been sitting for awhile and I decide to go somewhere, I get a nasty vibration after a minute or two when the car is idling in drive. I can hear it a bit when its in reverse too. Sounds like its coming from the front. But once that temperature gauge heats up...the vibration goes away. I really don't recall this happening when I first got the car. I've had it for 3 months and I've only put 2400 KM's on it.

I get the feeling that they won't find the problem. I've left it there for them over night. I took it in last week and the technician tightened something with the exhaust. Sure enough I didn't hear it when I left as the engine was warm...but after it sat for a bit and I took off, there it was again.

My thoughts are that it could be anything. I get the feeling it will be one of those hard to diagnose problems. The last thing I want to hear is them say "its running fine, shouldn't cause any problems down the road". If thats the case I'd like that in writing after the warranty expires. As if they really care.

Other than that...no filling problems on gassing up, no cd player problems, car didn't come with stripes on the rocker panels, and I haven't found any water in the trunk.

Take care guys, and I'll give you an update when I get my car back.
  • 40yearswaiting40yearswaiting Member Posts: 17
    I've been driving stick for about 25 years now so I know the problem is not my coordination or holding the clutch down properly. Have a 2006 mustang, V6, with a stick. The shifting is no where near as smooth as my daily driver, a '96 Celica. The Mustang is "clunky" and especially when I downshift I'm not getting into gear quickly and smoothly. I finally figured out that my problem with getting into reverse was that I first had to move the shifter a little to the left of 3rd/4th. Any other quirks with the shifter that I should know about? Other than that my 40 years waiting for one has been worth it!

40yearswaiting
    I put the Hurst competition short throw, I believe that is the exact name, in my 06 GT and I love it. I don't know if you have ever had a Hurst before, I have not and this is my first one but it is smooth, very short, and firm. I personally like the firm feeling when going into gear.

D
  • ncfsbrigncfsbrig Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 V6 stick that I also waited 40 years later to buy one since my 1965. Mine also shifts like crap. A lot of bucking and clunking if you try to drive in slow traffic. I have been driving a stick for all the 42 years I have been driving. This one is the pits to live with on a daily basis. I drove a 2006 GT last week and it definitely shifts much smoother even at low speeds. Lesson learned: don't go with your heart.
  • summerdawnsummerdawn Member Posts: 3
    i drive a 05 mustang and have been having problems with the fuel system, my engine check light keeps coming on, my cd player is skipping when it is a brand new cd, and there is a popping sound. i have went to ford and they cannot do anything about the fuel pump but i have heard other stories and i put in a request for ford to buy back the car. they denied it. i have never had as many problems as i have had with this car. i wish i never bought it.
    You joined the forum just to post that? :sick:
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    I own a GT Premium with manual:

1) My check engine light came on and the car went into safe-mode within the first 4 miles that I drove the car. I took it back to the dealer and they found a loose sensor. End of problem.

2) I find the shift a dream. At first, after driving Japanese gerbel cars for 20 years, shifting seemed a little rough -- for instance, had trouble down-shifting into third. Now, I find shifting extremely easy: short throw, no problems, real easy to shift very fast. Also, easy to drive in stop-and-go traffic. I have, however, moved the seat up further than I was used to, in order to have greater control of the clutch. :shades:
    I purchased a 2005 FORD MUSTANG in AUG. of 2005. MY daughter also purchased one in JULY 2005. WE are both having fuel fill problems. THERE are specific gas pumps in our town that we can use to only receive a 1/2 tank of gasoline, upon movement of the car to another pump can receive other 1/2 tank of gas. some gas pumps will click off at 60, 70, 80 cents and will not fill tank. I have tried turning the nozzle upside down and sideways as suggested by dealership. sometimes this will work , sometimes not , depending on the gas station I am at . WE both work out of town and have difficuties getting gas at times. I have taken both cars to the dealerships they were purchased from (multiple times) . THE dealerships inform me that nothing can be done about the vehicles, there is no repair . THEY are stating that the gas tank was redesigned and there is no repair .These cars were built after April 2005. I did not spend alot of money on a car to have to perform special procedures to get gasoline in my tank !!!! This is crazy, I dont care how good the car looks, I need to be able to receive gasoline the same way all the other cars that I have owed for the last 30 years . Also, my daughters mustang is making a popping noise from the front end , cd player not working properly, spinner from wheel fell off , black piece from steering wheel fell off , engine check light is flashing on and off. Car will go back to dealership tomorrow . does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Check the manufacturer technical bulletins for the car listed on this site (under maintenance and projected costs). This lists known problems with the car, which include the gas tank issue. Armed with this, the dealer can't lie to you that there's nothing he can do.
    Exactly. Print out all the TSB issues relating to your probles.

There is a TSB for the gas tank, and I've said it 1,000 times, don't let them get away with the "its already the redisigned tank, we can't do anything" trick. Its under warranty, the HAVE to fix it. I suggest you take it to a different dealership.

2nd, there is also a TSB out for the popping noise that you hear. I forget exactly, by I believe it was the bearing or shocks in the front end.

And 3rd, there is also one for the skipping CD player. I believe if you hold in the 3 and 6 buttons at the same time, while on radio, the stereo will do a self test and at the end it will have a bunch of stuff followed by a letter, A or B. I do believe A was the problamatic stereo, and they replace it with model B.
  • riverronriverron Member Posts: 26
    I bought a 2005 GT in Feb 2005, and had all the listed problems, (gas filling, c/d skipping, front end clunking, etc.) and had them ALL FIXED. I bought the car in California, I live in Arizona, and had all the work done at a dealer in Arizona. All my problems were taken care of with the upmost courtesy and professionalism, that anybody could expect. They scheduled the appointments around my schedule, and would schedule appointments for 2 different problems at one time to minimize time in the shop. ALL OF THIS FROM A DEALER I DIDN'T BUY THE CAR FROM. I suggest you find another dealer to do business with and AFTER your problems are fixed notify "Ford Customer Service" about the first dealer.
  • wdanwdan Member Posts: 2
    JUST BOUGHT A BEAUTIFUL 06 V6 MANUAL AND HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TO DEALERSHIP IN THE MORNING FOR A FORD ENGINEER INSPECTION.....HOPE FOR POSITIVE RESULTS, BUT NOT HOLDING MY BREATH....ALREADY WRITTEN FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND EMAILED THEM....NO RESPONSE YET. I WILL NOT GIVE UP, 26,000 BUCKS FOR A NEW MUSTANG THAT SHIFTS WORSE THAN A MACK TRUCK WITH A MILLION MILES ON IT IS NOT RIGHT.....I HAVE NO PROBLEM UNDERSTANDING WHY FORD IS HAVING FINANCIAL PROBLEMS......
    A little off topic, but you spent $26K on just a V6? You got ripped.
  • wdanwdan Member Posts: 2
    GEE THANKS COBRAGT, THATS MORE GOOD NEWS........... :sick:
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    The new 2005 & 2006 Mustang V6's and GT's have many problems. The biggest problem being the gas tank issue, the shifting problems and the front end noises and rattles.

I own a 2001 Mustang GT and a 2002 V6 Mustang and I don't have these problems that the new 2005 and 2006 Mustangs have. I am glad that I don't own a 2005 or a 2006 Mustang. I love the Mustang, but it's been almost 2 years now and Ford has not been able to fix the problems with the 2005 & 2006 Mustangs.

I want to buy another Mustang in the future, but I am going to wait until 2009/2010 when the next new body style comes out. I don't like the 2005/2006 Mustang body style. It's too long and very "boring" looking. It's not as agressive looking as my 2001 GT and 2002 Mustangs. Maybe by 2009/2010, Ford will have a better looking design for the Mustang.

I really feel bad for everyone in here who is having so many problems with their new 2005 & 2006 Mustangs. The only thing that I can recommend is for you to get rid of your Mustangs. It's not worth it if you have to go thru hassles to get things fixed on your cars and end up with them still not fixed. I hope that Ford will correct all the problems that the 2005 & 2006 Mustangs are having.
    ....AND YOUR CAPS GOT LOCKED.

Well the 2004 model year seems like a very good year for reliability - I am more prone to look for the last model, though it is the old fox body.
This discussion has been closed.