Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• idamay27idamay27 Member Posts: 7
    The first time the battery was dead we noticed that the brake light was staying on all the time so we knew that is why the battery was dead. We took it to the dealer and they replaced the brake light switch and gave us a new battery. A week later we tried to start the car and it would not start as the battery was dead again. We put jumper cables on as instructed in the manual (positive cable on assisting vehicle, positive cable on dead battery. Negative on assisting battery, negative on a piece of metal but not on the battery in the dead car (ground) and it sparked and the horn honked. I am not looking at the manual right now, so it may have been negative first with the positive ground. I did it per the manual though. Anyway, we called the 800 number for mustang service and they came out and jumped the car and it started. I was a little concerned because they did not ground it but put negative to negative positive to positive on the battery. I don't know if I am making sense. Anyway, the car started. We drove it for an hour or so and then we would start the car every three days. We skipped a day and went four days and now it is dead again. We have not jumped it or anything yet. It is a hassle as it is parked outside and has two car covers on it and it is all tucked in like a baby. Our garage is full of a 1934 Ford and a 1931 Ford. We need a bigger garage. It is just sitting there dead right now. We are in California and it has been raining almost every day. It may be nice this weekend and we will try to get it started again. I wish it would start every time we wanted to drive it without this hassle. Thank you for being there to help with advice.
  • cobragtcobragt Member Posts: 95
    I'm begging you to please, please have the alternator checked. If the battery can not hold a charge for a long length of time...that could be the problem. Thats a commone problem in many cars.
    I don't know if you were talking to me on that one...or the original poster...but I do drive my mustang very smooth...however, thats not the point..point I was trying to make is that it is a normal occurance if you are not very smooth with certain cars.
  • 06mustanky06mustanky Member Posts: 10
    unintended post.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Hey guys, just started getting scratches on my front window tint... :cry: My only problem so far with my 06 GT. Not a big issue at all but I can tell it is coming from inside the door panel. Weird because my 05 V6 did not scratch the tint at all. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and had or know of a fix? Going to go to the dealer next week and have them check it.

Thanks,
    D
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Isn't the tint within the glass? Never bought a car with
    tint, but I assumed it was in the glass if from the manufacturer.
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    find the TSB's. There is one for alternator.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    I know there are those thinking about buying a 'Tang who check out this forum. For their sake, for the sake of balance, let it be known that I own a Mustang and have had absolutely no serious problems. Neither has someone I know who is also crazy about his Pony. :shades:
    I second that.
    Thank you finally someone agrees with me. :)
    What is a TSB please? Also, where do I look. Thank you. Have a great day
    I will, definately. I just have not had a chance yet. Thank you much! I really appreciate your feedback. :blush:
    A few posts back I put a link to the TSB's in my post.
    TSB's:

Click the edmunds.com icon above to go to the home page. Click the Tips & Advice tab, then choose maintenance costs. Enter the vehicle info. You'll get a link to technical service bulletins at the top of the next page.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    Took my 06 pony pkg vert for a synthetic blend oil change, its first at the local Ford dealer, I asked if they had 5w-30 , they said yes, guess what they put in 5w-20. I checked the Motorcraft website, and parts dept. they only come in as 5w-20. No problem, I drained and replaced the oil with Mobil 1 5w-30, exactly the spec. Ford requires. I used to own a Focus back in 2000 and the dealer always put 5w-30, instead of the required 5w-20. If you can't get them to do it right, gotta do it yourself.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    You are right. DON'T be afraid to buy a Mustang. The Mustang is a really nice car. I wouldn't buy the 05's & 06's though because of all the problems that they have. I would get the 99-04 Mustang instead. They have fewer problems and they also look nicer than the 05-06 body style.
  • v8z4rjv8z4rj Member Posts: 1
    my first question is does it also do it going forward when turning and going slow...if so, it may be in the rear diff ....not a real big deal...try and get it serviced and make sure they put friction mod in diff....
    Ok, do you own a 05/06? First, I OWN one, and only had 1 problem...easily corrected. I know several other friend who own one, and no problems. You can't judge the car because of whats on here. People post to this thread just to see if they can get an answer to their problem. That's why it seems so many have problems. #2, go read some articles about when the 99-04's came out. They are by far less quailty and also had their problems.

Not to mention, the whole 05/06 body style being less nice, that is mere opinion on your part. According to statistic, Ford has hit a gold mine with this body style, so obviously you are in the minority when it comes to liking the pervious body style better.
  • 40yearswaiting40yearswaiting Member Posts: 17
    Thank you for your comments about the 05/06. I've waited 40 years to finally buy a Mustang and this body style is sweet, a real throwback to the original my opinion) which I saw unveiled when I was a teenager at the 1964-65 World's Fair. And so everyone sees me coming down the road I purchased one in screaming yellow with black racing stripes

I previously posted a problem I was having with the manual shift, but aside from that I feel the wait was worth it. I spoke to the service manager where I bought my car and he's aware of the problem some of us are having. He spent quite a bit of time to determine if Ford had any fixes out yet and got back to me several hours after I called. He also suggested I contact Ford so if enough of us report the problem a fix will become available. He treated me respectfully and didn't make me feel like I was a dumb broad or something.

The Ford customer service rep was also polite and logged the info. She suggested I keep in touch with the service manager. It was one of the best complaint experiences I have had in a long time.
    I know what problems the 99-04 Mustangs had. Most of the problems were with the GT's with their automatic and manual transmissions. And some had problems with body panels not aligning up correctly. Other than that, they didn't have other problems. But the 05 & 06 Mustangs have "MANY" problems if you compare them to the 99-04 Mustangs. I own 2 Mustangs (a 01 GT and a 02 V6 Mustang). So far, I haven't had any problems with any of them and I purchased both cars brand new.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the 05 & 06 Mustangs, but I wouldn't want to buy one or to own one of the 05's and 06's only because of the many problems that I read about them in here that they have. But I still like them. They are Mustangs.
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    if you wait for the next generation you will likely encounter the same amount of first year problems that is typical with any new car.

The 06's dont have the problems the 05 had. I have an 06 and so far mine is fine.
    I am more than likely going to wait until the "next generation" Mustang body style comes out before I purchase another vehicle. I like the 05 & 06 Mustang body style, but not as much as the 99-04 body style. I'm hoping that the 2009/2010 Mustang body style will look much nicer than the 05 & 06 Mustang body style. If it does, then I may buy another Mustang. If the body style gets uglier, I will look at another model like possibly the new Camaro or the Dodge Challenger.
    But I still want to keep my 01 Mustang GT and my 02 Mustang V6. I love them too much to sell them or to trade them in for another Mustang or anything else.
    No way the '99-'04 Mustang looked nicer or had fewer problems. 1) Check Consumer Reports consumer ratings of the preceding Mustangs -- they were lemons. 2) The redesigned Mustang is hotter even than the original, imo. 3) The preceding design, rounded and soft, was feminine and lame, a woman's car, like the Miata.

The new car screams testosterone and speed. :shades:
  • trantitranti Member Posts: 51
    Hi! If you don't want to buy 05 or 06 Mustang, then don't buy. Don't argue so much. OK!
    1) Not true
    2) Not true, if talking looks the comparison is to '68+'69 and those years are slightly better in original form. If talking performance, yeah, that's a no-brainer since we are talking some 40 years of development.
    3) A modern car, unless a large van, will be rounded. Cars do not have a sex, as they are made of steel. Women like and buy Mustangs then and now, and a Miata is better handling sports car than all of above.
    You got three out of three wrong.

Is the New Stang the best Stang, perhaps yes, but not based on your assumptions. Hopefully by 2007 the problems are all resolved. Most people do not seem to have major issues, so one could buy it now; and to that I will agree. Since it is better handling, stiffer, slightly more power, has more of the retro look for those fans, better seats, and such, then yes, the new one is perhaps the best one to buy. That said, other previous years were good too.

Model years '99 and '04 appear to be very good for reliability. I personally like the '94-'04 era for styling. And these years are years of building a new look for an auto. Too bad it takes going back in time, and cherry picking different style elements of the best years, to make a car for today. Where are the new designs? Is the current one a knock-out for styling? Well yes, it is well done. I would say a definite style hit, and one I would buy. Is this the way to go for all your favorite cars of the past? I am not so sure we need go down that path. What I like most about the car is that it looks good, handles well, is RWD, and is priced right. You do not need a replica car to do that. For looks, I like the Tiburon. Does is have all the dynamics of the Stang? Well no it doesn't. No RWD for one thing. But it is an example of modern styling, and an effort to think up something new. There is a possible RWD totally new Tiburon coming out.

It could be that the 2009 Mustang will be a more modern day design. There would be nothing wrong in some change along the way. Even a perfectly good 911 design has changed with the time. As for the retro car of today, I like it, but could do with a different interior. I had a '65, and the interior design was OK for its time, but is nothing special. Telescopic steering would be nice.

-Loren
    No this is aftermarket tint. Something inside the door panel is scratching the tint as the window moves up and down.
    I just had a quick look. The '99 Mustang GT coupe has 210 TSB's (technical service bulletins)! The '05 has 23, the '06 2. By comparison, a '93 Accord EX has 20. :shades:
    QUOTE:
    "#1146 of 1146 Re: Don't Be Afraid of Buying the New Mustang [m1miata] by pony_pirate Apr 23, 2006 (1:03 pm)
    Replying to: m1miata (Apr 23, 2006 8:54 am)

I just had a quick look. The '99 Mustang GT coupe has 210 TSB's (technical service bulletins)! The '05 has 23, the '06 2. By comparison, a '93 Accord EX has 20."

-----------------------------------------------------------

That's odd because the major problems that I have been reading up on that the 99-04 GT's had were with the transmissions. As for the 99-04 Mustang V6's, they didn't have any transmission problems or any of the mechanical problems that the GT's had.
    Like I said, I am not aware of any other "major" problems besides the transmission problems and the fit of the front quarter panels and doors on the 99-04 Mustangs. The rest of the TSB's are probably minor things.
  • jerseymustangjerseymustang Member Posts: 3
    I'm still looking for the "proof" in your post that you say you gave, after reading your opinions. One's own opinion is very different from a fact, and should not presented as such. There are several things to take issue with here, but I'll comment on only the following:

"Also, "ONLY" the V6 Mustang model is percieved to be a feminine car or as I like to call it, a "tampon car". Even todays 05 & 06 Mustang V6 is considered to be a tampon car. The GT is the only model which is NOT a feminine car. The GT is purchased and owned by mostly men and the V6 by women. Do your research and you will see that what I am specifying here is true."

As a male owner of a 2006 V6 coupe, I am wondering what kind of research you used to come up with such irresponsible statements. According to the Wall Street Journal, April 12, 2006, women influenced 81% of new-vehicle purchases last year. That's a lot of "tampons" on the road, so I'm sure those figures also include V6 Mustangs. I can see how more males purchase the GT, but that's true of all muscle-type cars, and that doesn't mean the conclusion is that the V6 is feminine.
    By the way, my wife had nothing to do with MY selection of MY car. She picks her own, and I pick my own. The V6 works for me, and I love it.
    There's this screaming yellow GT coupe being driven around town by a woman, probably in her 60's. :shades:
    If you want proof, go to www.stangnet.com

Do a search and then do some reading to see exactly what problems the 99-04 GT's had. You will see that they were all transmission related problems.
    Ah, just wait, they'll be a coming :D
    So is that why they are now using an automatic transmission made in France? Better? Is the V6 automatic made in France? Where are those manual transmissions built now?
    -Loren
    I believe that all of the transmissions for the 05 & 06 V6 Mustangs are all built in Germany right now. All 4.0L Ford Mustang transmissions are built in Germany.
    And I think that the current 05 & 06 Mustang GT transmission is still built in the U.S..
    Kindly note that women are part of this forum and your comment about the preceding model is offensive. It definitely is not as hot as the new one.

However, you are wrong about one thing, the '05/'06 doesn't not scream testosterone. It's a real looker when a woman gets behind the wheel. I should know, mine is screaming yellow with black stripes.
    Statistics say that 65%-75% of the V6 owners are women. And that 85%-90% of the Mustang GT owners are men.
    If my remark was offending to you about the V6 Mustang, I'm sorry. But that's how we men refer to cars that women like to drive. My remark was not intended to offend anyone, especially a woman. I love women.
    Up until this posting of yours referring to the V6 as a tampon car, I have enjoyed your comments. Kindly note that women are part of this forum and your comments and comparisons are really inappropriate. Please don't tell me that if I don't like it not to participate.

If you don't like the new Mustang don't buy it.

And you are definitly wrong about the comparison of the new Mustang to the old Celica fastback style.
    Oh no, a friend bought an '05 GT and the transmission was made in France. I have seen some on the lot from France, but I don't know if all are made there, including V6. Possibly two sources being used.

Found in the Consumer Reports the 2003 model year as problems for Transmissions. As for the current car, it looks like suspension problems are the biggest thing. Should be something they can resolve. Hopefully just the '05s and the '06 will not have the suspension issues.

MSN Auto site is pretty good at listing the most common problems and the cost to repair them. Consumer Guide is good for that too. I use Edmund's to find JD Powers listing of car reliability going back several years. It is a good source - thanks Edmund's!

I see where the engine is made in Germany. A new 3.5 may be coming in a few years for the Mustang. Better gas mileage and a bit more HP. The current 4.0 has been a good workhorse, I take it. At least I think people prefer it over the old 3.8. Gas mileage is poorer though. So it has a German tranny mated to it - wundervoll. May try out a manual and an automatic the same day to compare the two. Usually, I get manual transmissions, but they keep putting up more stop lights and stop signs every day. Seems like I am wearing out the left leg.
    -Loren
    I think that you are right. The 4.0L V6 Mustang engine is made in Germany and the transmission is made in France. I am pretty sure about the engine being German made. And I think that you are right about the transmission being made in France.
    There is another interesting pkg. now in California. The California Special is said to have the spoiler and stuff, as well as the GT handling pkg. I am thinking that this one may be the best handling due to the V6 being lighter. Well, maybe lighter. A 4.0 is a larger V6. The one I saw on the lot was around $24K though, which is close to the V8 at $26K. But it has all the GT stuff. Now had I bought the California Special original Mustang, I would have something worth a few extra bucks over the average car. But I would not count on that happening this time. Come to think of it, I don't know what people will think of these retro years model cars some twenty years from now.

As for the new tranny, I see the stick is back closer to hand, and not bent. I take it the clutch is lighter, and the gears not too slot on in to. The old one was kinda interesting in a way. An old fashion mechanical feel. But the location of the stick and a heavy clutch gets old fast in stop and go and stop sign land.
    -Loren
    Back in Aug '05 when I test drove the new Tang, I told the female "salesperson" (is that the "political correct" term?) that the preceding design, well, sucked, looked like clumsily dripped wax, and, frankly, was a "woman's car."

There are definite male and female cars -- e.g., the Miata is notorious for being a female divorcee car. In fact, for the past 20 plus years I've been driving "female" cars, Honda Accords, indifferent to public opinion and gender characterizations. Now, at last, my imagination has been inseminated by a masculine "muscle" car, the square-edged, redesigned Mustang (and there's no going back).

Gee, oh m'gosh, there will always be women driving men's cars (Freud called it "penis envy"). In fact, one grandma in my environs pushes a screaming yellow GT. Go, grandma, go! :shades:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Host agrees, and offending post has been removed.

PLEASE don't grind the forum to a halt with repetitive and un-solvable arguments. Make your point and let's move on. Also, try to exercise courtesy in all responses so that I don't have to intervene and interrupt the flow of ideas.

Last of all, my hosting experience shows that discussions of weird theories about "chick cars" often lead to fatal consequences for the topic, so I'd suggest you all avoid this issue and stick to nuts and bolts (no puns intended).

thanks,

MrShiftright
    Host
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    The 5 speed automatic transmissions are made in France, the previous automatics were 4 speed , so I don't know where they were made. The 5 speed manuals are Tremecs, I think they are made in the U.S.A. The engine is the Koln or Cologne engine. Originally used as a 2.8 liter V6 on the 1979 Mustang. Displacement up to 4 liter in the 90's with the Ford Explorer, Rangers etc. I think in 1998 it recieved the OHC valve trains in place of the previous pushrods. Koln is where the Ford engine factory is located in Germany.
    I can't believe that you are stooping to a male to female look or appeal of a car...that is not what this forum is for.

Stangnet is also NOT an offical site that does reviews. Go to C&D or MT, and look up the previous year. As brought out over 200 TSBs. It doesn't matter if 199 of them related to just the transmission, thats STILL 199 PROBLEMS!!!

Like I said before...it SEEMS there is so many problems, because everyone who has a problem with the 05/06 comes HERE to get help. So obviously there is going to be a concentration of problems in this particular thread.
    Out of the 23 or so TSB in the new model, few are serious. A gas tank problem of not filling is not a HUGE problem. It DOES NOT make the car a danger to drive, nor does it impede its normal operation. HOWEVER, having transmission problems (your arguement for the last body) DOES effect the drivability of the car...and could also pose a potential danger to the driver as well as others.
    So please, lets keep it to facts, and not immature, kiddie arguements.

40yrswaitin...you are welcome. If there is anything else I can help you with just let me know.
    Can you help me buy that supercharger..... ;) I'm still jealous... lol

Daniel
    HaHa. By help you....what do you mean? Give you money? lol.
    And the Stangnet website has MANY posts in it from people who own the 99-04 and the 05 & 06 Mustang with all the problems that each of these cars has with its respectable year. Please don't tell me that Stangnet.com is not an official Mustang website. It is. It has more information about all the various problems that the Mustangs have than any other Mustang website around.
    Well you offered 40yrswaitin "if there is anything else I can help you with just let me know." so I figured it was worth a try... I mean not all of us can afford that 6 grand.

:surprise:
    Tell me you are joking....
    stangnet is just another website, with a forum section where people can post their problems. THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT OFFICIAL.

Anyway, there is clearly no reasoning with you...so I'm finished.
    How is the automatic transmissions in the New Stangs? Do they feel solid and shift smoothly? This new French made transmission used in any other Ford car? Wondering about any track record for reliability. Do like to shift, but it is of course less than fun in town - the land of a thousand shifts between 1st and 3rd to get nowhere.
    -Loren
This discussion has been closed.