Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    This is a "problems" board, of course you are going to hear about a few problems owners may have. Think about all the 05 and 06 Mustang owners (such as myself) that have no problems at all. To say that the new Mustangs are :lemon: 's is just plain ignorant.
    Oh yeah, the body styling on the '06 is much sweeter in my opinion than an '01 and '02... much sweeter.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I was one of the first to get an '05 Mustang GT when it first came out. Owned it for 9 months. Only sold it because I was offered more than I paid for it.

Whithin the first month of ownership, I went to a "Mustang Meet" in my 'burg.

There was a lady there who had just bought her GT, too. She was upset with all the "noise" it made. She said she had taken it back to the dealer several times and was planning to try "Lemon Law" procedures.

When I asked her what the issue was, she said the exhaust wasn't right and that it vibrated. I asked her to fire it up. When she did, all I heard was the beautiful exhaust note. When she reved it a bit and put it in drive, the tires would, indeed, "chirp" (the cause of her vibration).

I told her that everything was normal. She still didn't believe me. When I asked her what kind of car she had previous to the Mustang GT, she said she had a Toyota Solara.

Yeah....they are both coupes, but that's about the only thing that was similar about them.

I guess it's all about expectations and knowing what you have.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • trantitranti Member Posts: 51
    I tried to move the damper to many locations and even removed it, the vibration was still there. Yesterday, I fell that the car had vibration at all speeds. It was strongest between 60 and 70 mph. I will go to the dealer tomorrow. I will post when I have something new.
    Two weeks ago, my car ran smoothly. The vibration has happened just 2 weeks.
  • dave362dave362 Member Posts: 4
    I have this exact same problem with my 2005 V6, I had the car back to the dealer twice (they installed the damper to no avail) then I complained to Ford's corporate e-mail.
    This is Ford's reply to me, they are saying that this
    and the rattly front end are normal for the car. I too
    suspect the transmission or driveshaft. I think they
    need to fire some engineers.

Subject: Ford Motor Company
    Dear Dave,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the concerns you have experienced with your 2005 Ford Mustang.

In an effort to assist you with this matter, we have contacted Westfield Ford. According to your dealership's assessment your vehicle is operating within Ford specifications. Your dealership has factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information and specialized equipment to resolve your vehicle concerns. We concur with the dealerships assessment. If you require further explanation or the conditions change, please speak with the Service Manager, Steve Berry.

In addition, Ford is concerned with the satisfaction of all Ford and Lincoln-Mercury customers. Your feedback on the Mustang is highly valued by all divisions within Ford Motor Company and serves to provide us with insight into areas where we may need improvement.

We have documented your comments which will be forwarded to the appropriate department for review and consideration. Thank you for your feedback and we hope that your future experiences with Ford products will be more positive.

If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
    Alice
    Customer Relationship Center
    Ford Motor Company
    Oh! No. Tomorrow, if the dealer tells me it is normal, I have no choice but get rid of the car right away. I get my title ready to trade it in tomorrow for a Toyota and never by any Ford car.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    You are doing the right thing by getting rid of the Mustang. There's no excuse for it to have vibrations.
    I told Ford in my e-mail that I was going to
    trade mine in for a Volkswagen. I had a Passat before this
    car that cost maybe $1500 than the Mustang and was built like a steel vault, no rattles, vibrations etc... and
    it never went back to the dealer at all. :confuse:
    I just come back from the dealer. They relocated the damper. It is better, but the problem is still there. I will go Toyota dealer to trade it in for a Camry Solara on this weekend.
    Good luck with the new car, I don't blame you
    at all for trading the Mustang, for what cars cost now you should be totally happy with how they perform.
    If I wasn't so upside-down on my loan I'd be next
    in line to trade mine in. :)
  • husker5husker5 Member Posts: 15
    I revved my GT manual close to or at the red line and suddenly lost power. Is there a rev limiter or some other protection to keep from revving the engine past 6000 RPM?
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    yes there is a rev limiter.
  • tampabilltampabill Member Posts: 5
    Mine too. 2006 Vista Blue with parchment interior convertible - it has been a great car so far.
  • paulctpaulct Member Posts: 16
    Latest update on the GT Dead Battery problem.
    My car is back at the dealer for some kind of smart module replacement. The dealer recommends turning the radio off before turning the car off. Apparently there is a power drain with shaker radios when the car is off. Ford is becoming more aware of the problem and is zeroing in on the GT with Shaker radio combo. Anyone with this combo should pay attention, it's not just an isolated case anymore. I will keep everyone posted on the latest fix but I suspect that there is more to this than just a module replacement!
  • mfulfordmfulford Member Posts: 8
    I recently bought a 2006 from Ernie Haire Ford. They said no one has ever had this problem brought to their attention. Please!!! Where are you with your solution? I would be happy to go over what I've been through.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    I think we all know that Ford is not the most reliable and refined car out there but many of these post are just ridicules. There is no reason to be retarded and imply an issue you have with your car applies to us all. So many of us do not have any of the problems many list. I for one am one of them and am very satisfied with my 06 GT. Very fun to drive, hauls [non-permissible content removed] and gets many looks and compliments. Plus gas mileage is pretty darn good considering the output from that 4.6L I personally want the pure HP.

Dan
    cai,sct,headers,borla,cats,hurst.
    382 HP at the flywheel.
  • alex197alex197 Member Posts: 15
    i have an 06 GT and i just recently heard a noise coming from the rear end when i turn 90 to the left or right, i immediately took the car to an empty parking lot and did a series of slow circles. Upon doing so, the noise remained until i straightened out. the noise sounds like a bearing is going however the noise is gone when driving straight. Anyone have the same problems?
    It would make no sense honestly for a noise to come from your rear end while turning. Nothing while turning affects the differential. If it is a kind of popping or binding sound it is coming from the front. There is a TSB out on some bushings that can be replaced very easily. This most likely is what you are hearing.

Dan
  • wrekramblerwrekrambler Member Posts: 8
    There are some little widgets in your differential called spider gears (or differential side gears) that only move when the car is turning (when the outside wheel is moving faster than the inside wheel). If you have a limited-slip differential, there are also some clutches that control the left-right wheel motion. Sound's to me like something is amiss in the rear end... I'd take it to the dealer and be sure that he hears the noise.

Do you have traction control (a computer that senses one rear wheel slipping, and applies the brake to the other rear wheel)? If so, turn off this feature (button on the console) and see if the noise persists.
  • weenaudweenaud Member Posts: 1
    I have an automatic 06 GT that has acted like it wanted to die when taking off from a stop. It has only done it twice, both right after getting gas. It seems like it temporarily loses power, but then it is okay when you get up to speed. If anyone else has also experienced this, feel free to email me.
    ethan7625@aol.com
    yeah i have tcs and i tried turning it off but it still persists, i took it into ford and they called ford engineers and their sending a rebuild kit for the clutches but not the crown or pinion gear, i'll let you know what comes out of all this.
    definately coming from the rear, technicians are replacing the internal clutches. fod engineers recommended commencing the tsb for this problem.
  • casing1casing1 Member Posts: 7
    Just the other day I filled my car up and when I got back it was reading empty. It said fuel data error. So I took it to the dealer and they said it was a known problem. I recently found out about Mustangs having problems with the premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle. Which they didn't tell me that when I bought the car new. So know the dealer basically said that all 2005 Mustangs made on or after 4/26/2005 and 2006 model year vehicles were built with the revised design fuel tank. That's another thing they didn't tell me. So my question is. Has anyone else been having the problems that I'm having if so did they tell you basically to just live with it.
  • 40yearswaiting40yearswaiting Member Posts: 17
    Did this happen just the one time or does it always read empty? I have a 2006 Mustang and I had the problem once with the empty reading. I also had the premature automatic shut off once. It was at a local Shell station. I have not had the problem at any other station so I just don't go there with the Mustang. Funny thing is that I had a problem a couple of times at that station with my 96 Celica so I now attribute it to a problem with the station.

I was going to have the dealer check it out, but since it hasn't happened again I didn't bother. I actually found this forum because I was looking for information on that problem.
    Funny that you should say that. It was a Shell gas station but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I've been getting gas there and this last time is when it started doing it. It's still running on the same gas but the dealer added some additive to the gas and now the gauge is reading like it should. I don't know. The manual says to give the car 87 unleaded regular and not to add any additives. The dealer says to put a higher grade and to add additives to the gas. It's just a headache more then anything. Just not getting a straight answer. The car is great except for the fact that FORD can't give me a straight answer.
  • smeadows1978smeadows1978 Member Posts: 10
    I was just at a Ford dealership (in New Jersey) yesterday having the driver's side door handle of my 2005 V6 replaced and the two other people in the waiting room with me were both having fueling issues with their Ford automobiles. I don't believe either had a Mustang as mine was the only one in the service bay, although I have the fueling issue, too (not the sensor issue). While I was waiting for my car one of the service guys came in and told the woman next to me that the sensor issue has to do with an additive that is put in some gas--there's a component of the additive that corrodes a metal strip in the sensor and that's what causes the gauge malfunction. He said by using a different additive you can correct the problem and clean the metal strip. As for the fueling issue, another service guy suggested not using the fastest flow rate on the gas nozzle. Unfortunately this isn't an option for those of us who live in N.J., where we can't pump our own gas, but I have noticed that the problem seems to be station specific. Hope that sheds some light on your problems!
    We have been having the same problem since we purchased a 2006 Mustang in October. After months of fighting with dealership I took the car back to them. I spent 8 hours and traded for another 2006 Mustang. How stupid could I be. Now I have same problem with new Mustang. Again fighting with dealership. We are meeting with Ford Field Engineer June 28th. I don't know where this will take us but I want out!!! I've asked for my money back and never will I buy another Ford product. The dealership tells me no one has ever had this problem but yet he hands me Fords notice when I went in for service. I have tried every gas station in town and only get about 3-4 gallons of gas. Well hurricane season is here and we can't evacuate if we had to. The dealership said I won't get far with no gas. Thanks a lot! Its not funny.

Marcia
    So the dealership said that no one has ever had this problem but they can hand you a slip that says there is a problem. This is what doesn't make since. Hopefully your meeting with Ford can correct the problem. I'm currious on what they have to say. I just got the car back from the dealer yesterday so I'm waiting to see what happens. I'm sure that having them rotate the tires is not going to solve the fuel problem. Maybe if enough of these people are having the same problems as you and I they'll have a recall. The dealer said also that it's all 2005 mustangs made on or after 4/26/2005 and 2006 mustangs that have the revised fuel tank. I guess some have the problem and some don't. They should have put in the manual that you're only able to take your car to 1 of 500 gas stations.
  • orocksorocks Member Posts: 1
    We to have had fueling problems w/our 05 mustang which we purchased 3/05. Ford told the dealer to change the tank. They did and other problems resulted from that change. Our car has been in the shop about 45 - 50 days total. Still have the fueling. We can not put more than 6 gals sometimes. Was told it was due to the amount of fuel pressure from the gas stations. We have been to several stations and speedway is the best for full fueling. We still have problems w/gas gauge going to empty & low fuel light comes on. This is after they changed the gas tank and figured out sensors were shorting out in the fuel tank. We love the car and have tried to get it replaced but Ford only came up with a small settlement. Also have had drive shaft problems due to the tank change. Mechanic not so good I guess. Tried the lemon law deal but Ohio laws are real strict. Dealer was going to do a buy back but who knows.
  • husker5husker5 Member Posts: 15
    What a coincidence!!. I have a 06 GT Mustang with 1500 miles. Having read other posts, :confuse: I too was concerned about fueling issues. The first 5 times I refueled, no problems. Then I tried to fill up at a brand new Holiday gas station in a suburb of St. Paul Minnesota where they advertise some fuel additives with their fuel, and I could only get 3/4 of a tank. Went to Wisconsin and refueled to the max, and again no problems. The next day with the tank initially reading 1/2 full, upon driving to work, noticed the fuel gauge suddenly dropping to <1/8 tank and the computer read 0 miles to empty. After sitting all day, and restarting it that evening, the fuel gauge initially read 1/4 tank and then in several steps went back to an accurate 1/2 tank. Meanwhile, the computer initially read 40 miles to emply, then 60 finally stopping at an accurate 119 miles to empty. Went to refuel the car back to full at still another station and have not had any problems since. Go figure!!
    husker5
    Well, what I feared the most!!! Not getting this problem fixed before hurricane season. Two years ago we had to evacuate 3 times. The dealership addressed this problem last week saying "You won't get far"! Doesn't that make you feel good?

Has anyone called the 1-800 #? I have registered all my complaints with Ford. You can do it on line and then they give you a reference #.

I am so tired of dealing with Ford and hope some answer comes from meeting with Field Engineer June 28th.
    Did you ever try turning the gas pump upside down, or sideways? Others have said this has helped them. I'm sorry to hear you are having so many problems. I have not had any with fuel or otherwise.

D
    Yes, we have tried everything. Nothing seems to work. We have gone to different stations and still no help.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    I would want my cash back. Or how about an Fusion V6 w/side air bags? If there is no fix for the gas fueling problem, it seems to me they would have to give you another car, or cash back. Why again did you get another Mustang if the first one could not be fixed?
    -Loren
  • riverronriverron Member Posts: 26
    Oh, look whose back. Hey Loren one quick question. Why do you bad-mouth these Mustangs so much when you admit you don't even own one and would never buy one?
    I LOVE my 05 GT, and am so impressed with the car that I've already ordered an 07 GT. The dealer I've ordered from wants my 05 on trade so badly that we closed the deal with me getting $2,000 less than the MSRP was 2 yrs ago.
    I believe 90% of new Mustang owners LOVE the cars and a majority of the people with complaints on this forum would not have complaints if the service depts that they are going to would fix the cars instead of giving excuses. I had a few problems with my 05 but the service dept FIXED everything and I'm extremely HAPPY.
    Regarding mfulford's gas tank problems,,,, his car does have a problem, BUT his biggest problem is that the DEALER SERVICE DEPT sucks and they don't want to fix it. My 05 had the filling problems and my service dept fixed it in 3hrs after picking it up at my home and delivering back, with not even a fingerprint on the car (and the car is Black).
    The only reason we got another Mustang is because that is all the dealership would talk. They wouldn't give us our money back. We tried trading it at Nissan but would have negative equity and we couldn't afford to lose $10,000.
    So why is it that we have someone who doesn't even owns a mustang talking trash on this forum, im mean she got a dodge stealth up to 110 mph once. When she gets a gt and she learns about the mechanics of a mustang then maybe she could warrant an opinion. For those having problems with 05 gt's, have you tried going to a different dealership? the reason is dealerships make their money off of non warranty work. Doing TSB jobs is like working for free. Therefore the quality of their work could be poor. Some technicians actually are technically inclined while some are not. For instance i had that rear end growl that some people has seen before, the end result was replacing the ring and pinion gear. Sound familiar? my dealership technicians were technically inclined and realized that the TSB job for this would not fix the problem, turned out that the internal clutches needed to be replaced. So it all comes to this, do you know who is working on your car.
    Alex
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Please, no "brand-bashing" in the forums. State your gripe if you have one, but please don't overload the forum with negative comments that are not constructive ones (i.e., "solutions")---ESPECIALLY if you aren't an owner. If you're a non-owner and you can be helpful, fine, but don't nettle the other guests.

Thank you.

Host
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    1) Did not bad mouth anything. Simply stated fact. Should get money back if the car did not work and can not be fixed or another car within the brand.
    2) Why would you be happy if they did not fix your problems?
    3) What was the incohent rant about in the next post from Alex? What girl is he talking about? Some other car? And who was talking trash about anything? Someone is getting too near the fumes I guess. Relax. Must be something these days making people get overly defensive about everything. Even when no one attacked them or their car.
    -Loren
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... We tried trading it at Nissan but would have negative equity and we couldn't afford to lose $10,000.

How in the world would you have lost $10K?? :surprise: You must've taken a bath on the sale price of your Mustang! :confuse: These things are hardly depreciating at all.
    We took the car to two dealerships. Both only offered $15,500.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Do you have the V6? Even then, why in the world would you have paid $25,500 for a V6 Mustang?!? :surprise: I just can't see how you would lose $10K to depreciation in one year. The only other things I can thing of is that you have relatively high mileage for the car's age or you paid a ridiculous dealer markup to get the car.

Take it to a local Carmax and see what they offer you. Also check Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds to get a valuation on your car.
    I was at the Ford dealer today getting my Mustang serviced ( I own a beautiful 2001 GT) and I asked the salesman about all the problems that the new 05 and 06 Mustangs have. He told me that he wasn't aware of them having any problems. He never knew that they had fuel and gas tank problems. But he did tell me that Ford is NOT giving any rebates on ANY of the Mustangs. I was told that another dealer in the area was selling the 5 speed Mustang GT's for $5,000 MORE than their sticker prices. WHAT A RIPOFF!
    Stupid people are getting ripped off by Ford dealers on their brand new 05 or 06 Mustang GT's and V6 Mustangs. Don't pay over the sticker price. Try to buy the mustang for BELOW the sticker price. Don't be stupid and let the Ford dealers rip you off. I would wait until these cars are sitting on the dealer lots for a very long time and until Ford gives rebates on them before I would purchase a Mustang and get raped buying one. That's just my .02 cents. I know that up here in my area, there are a lot of Mustangs sitting on the dealer's lots UNSOLD. They have more V6's than they do GT's and most of them are automatics, but NONE of them are selling. They are just sitting there on the lot. I think that the Ford dealerships will start giving decent rebates on the Ford Mustangs when the fall and winter comes around when these cars are still sitting on the dealer lots. That's when it will be a good time to start buying up these lemons. :lemon:

As for me, I am going to wait until the next Mustnag body style comes out before I buy another car. If Ford screws up the design, I will buy the Dodge Challenger or the Camaro.
    So just to let you all know that I've been having the same problems with the fuel issue as you may already know. We went on a road trip and the problem started up again. Engine light came on, beeping noises gas gauge was going crazy. Not even a week after getting it back from the dealership. So we took it back to the dealership when we got back and said fix it. We weren't going to settle for a lazy answer from Ford. In our suprise they called up and said that they are ordering new fuel sensors which they have them ordered for other customers and these are not the revised ones and that most likely Ford is going to have a recall for this issue. They were very helpful in taking care of the issue. The car hopefully will act like a new car in a couple of weeks. And if anyone goes to a Ford dealership and they don't know about this fuel issue, "these are the same people working on your vehicle with other problems that occur", tell them to pull their head out of their [non-permissible content removed] and hire a mechanic. Two words, "Fix it". Worked for us!
    Ford dealers don't want to admit that there's a problem with the new 05 & 06 Mustangs. And they want TOP DOLLAR for the current new Mustangs? Ford will have a lot of the Mustangs sitting in their lots UNSOLD if they don't start giving some decent rebates on them.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    How often do you take inventory of these so called unsold lemons? I wish I had that much free time.
    I guess I am one of the few lucky ones that has had no problems with my '06 GT...
    ... on second thought I bet there are more satisfied customers like me than dissatisfied.
  • 40yearswaiting40yearswaiting Member Posts: 17
    Ford Dealers are not ignorant, consumers are. It's the old rule of supply and demand. The new Mustangs were in such demand that people were very willing to pay sticker price plus. The local dealer in the town where I live was marking his up several thousand dollars and couldn't get them in fast enough to meet the demand. You couldn't even test drive one, they were gone as soon as they came in.

As much as I wanted a Mustang I wasn't going to give the dealer his price. So when I was ready to buy I went to a dealer that was a one-hour drive from where I live and got a great deal.

If people weren't so anxious to be the first on their block to have something consumers would always be paying a fairer price for whatever it is they buy.

I love my '06 yellow chariot. It's real looker, it was worth the wait, and I paid a fair price because I did my research before making the deal.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Amen to that. My '05 GT Premium's going strong. Had more problems with my last car, a new fully loaded Accord EX, Honda being one of those supposedly infallible foreign cars that are reputed to be so much better than American cars. :shades:
  • rubatyrubaty Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2005 GT in Feb 05 and I love her to death but she has a big flaw...the fuel tank!!!! I have had my fuel tank replaced twice and it still doesn't work properly! Ford and the Military Car Sales Program are saying that it is the gas stations fault and not theirs. Click on the following link to see the article that was written in the European Stars and Stripes on May 17th 2006:
    http://stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=36359&archive=true
    Does anybody know of any pending lawsuits against Ford to have them take back or swap out the vehicle?
    I posted an email earlier about my 05. Gas problems were bad. What they told me is that the 05 that was made after the 4th month and 06 mustangs have a revised fuel tank. Dealership was trying to tell me that it was the gas stations and it's not it's the sensors that are not reading properly. I told them to fix it so they ordered sensors that are not revised and they said most likely they will have a recall. It was easy. Just don't take any excuses.
This discussion has been closed.