Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• mustangkmustangk Member Posts: 11
    i have a $$$$ deposit on a '05 V6 Automatic Mustang w/ 11,406 miles. not sure of the yr. it was built but i was told by the dealer (not a Ford dealer) that the original owner purchased it in april or june 05 & i have 2 more years of bumper-bumper warranty. (or remainder of 36,000 miles) I AM SCARED TO DEATH AFTER READING THIS FORUM & THE NIGHTMARES OWNERS HAVE HAD TO ENDURE. I recently lost my Mother & i am so heartbroken & i thought this purchase would help console me, somewhat.. i can't afford to get stuck w/ a lemon as i do not have dependable people in my life who can help me w/rides, etc..nor can i be at the dealer on a constant basis because the car was a trade (so i was told) and not a ford dealer. do you think it is a good idea to go thru with this purchase? what is a fair price for the basic '05 in miami w/air,automatic, keyless entry, antitheft alarm, etc??? the car is gorgeous but i never bought anything used so i can't tell when i gave it a test drive...what do i know? i appreciate any/all advise as i am considered pretty but alone & can't be breaking down all over the place...plus grieving from a death, etc... ALSO, i was told of a '06 V6 automatic w/10,700 miles purchased in Nov. 05 but used as a rental car. would that be a better purchase year? the price seems good ($15,000plus)but again, i am worried as $$$ is an issue plus insurance is high. there are hurricanes all the time & i am disappointed that you, the true owners, are experiencing trouble. and your purchases were probably brand new... HELP ME PLEASE THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH, K.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Not sure if I can tell you yes or no on the purchase, but remember that this is a "problems" forum so 100% of the posts you read here should include a problem. I'm sure there are '05 V6 owners that have had no problems at all and love their cars.

I happen to have a 06 GT Manual and love it.

See if you can get the deposit back and think about it some more. Best of luck with your decision and everything else in life. :)
  • 40yearswaiting40yearswaiting Member Posts: 17
    It sounds like you have too many issues to deal with to decide on this car. Don't make a decision with your heart when it comes to needing reliable transportation. You need a "trustworthy" mechanic or someone to test drive it for you.

I have an'06 V6 Mustang with a stick that I love, but came to this forum because of some issues I had with it. My daily driver is a '96 Celica. I purchased it new and will never part with it as much as I love the Mustang. If you are looking for reliability look at a Toyota. A new Corolla is about the price you are thinking of paying for a used Mustang. You would even be better off buying a used Toyota. I had an '82 Corolla for 14 years that had more than 211,000 miles on it when I finally had no choice but to get rid of it. It still had the original clutch.

This forum is for people with problems so you don't really hear about the good experiences people have with their Mustangs.
    you probably are right. i did look a Toyota & it was pretty but i thought it wasn't me. it does have an excellent reliability record. it's just i need major cheering & i thought a fast, cool Mustang would be great. i currently have a chrysler convertible so i like that type of fun car. i don't need another convertible & thought the Mustang coupe would be PERFECT...this was BEFORE i started reading about the constant & continuous problems of the 05 & maybe 06... miami is not a small conservative place where people are mostly honorable. it is a fast tough town & i think $$$$ is the name of the game so it's hard to find truthful people. the dealer is considered a reputable one but he is not a ford dealer & just said you have a great warranty & go to a ford dealer if anything happens. they want to make that sale! ford dealers have mainly new models for sale & not many "deals"... thank you for your comments & advice, k.
    2nd reply to you. what happened to 1st? thank you! i appreciate your kindness... it is just that i am scared. i love the Mustang & think it is so cool but am not in any position emotionally or financially to be traumatized by a possible? lemon... your car sounds totally awesome & i am glad it is ok... maybe the 06 would be better because the kinks would be worked out? i need something w/ a warranty or i would try for the 04 Mustang which was always fun to rent & not as problematic (i think) as the changed 05. 1st model year... i know a "little knowledge" can be dangerous but i think it's better to know the possible pitfalls than not. they want $16000 plus tax, tags, transfer at the dealer for the 05 which may be a little steep considering the 07 is here...i was told NEVER to believe car salesmen..(sorry if i offended anyone but i was told that) maybe i will try for the 06...confused...k
  • husker5husker5 Member Posts: 15
    I have an 06 Mustang (GT manual trans) and love it. No problems yet. I'm sure if you read the toyota forum they have problems as well.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I have two Toyotas and they are excellant vehicles. I also have an '07 GT Convertible on order. Accept each make for what they are and ALL makes can have problems - they are machines made by humans. I have had other Toyotas and other Mustangs previously, Some were very reliable, others not so.

Notwithstanding that, the tone of your posts indicates to me that you are totally freaked out at this point (maybe understandably), and IMO the best thing for you to do is back off the entire deal. Buying a car, particularily used, to boost your mental state may just be chasing smoke. Back off, settle down, and then approach getting another vehicle in a slower, more logical manner. You sound too mentally distraut to make this purchase right now. That's just my opinion based on the tone of your posts and nothing else. I could be wrong, and if so, ignore this and move on. Good luck, and I'm sorry about your Mom.
  • amorgan98amorgan98 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2006 Ford Mustang v-6 coupe from Troy Aikman Ford on April 14, 2006. By April 21st, the "Service Engine Soon" light had already come on. I took it in for service and was told the problem was "no big deal", a hose had more than likely wriggled loose when the car was in transport from the manufacturer to the dealership.

By May 5th, I'd figured out that every time I turned on my right blinker, my rear-window defroster came on. When I pressed the rear-window defroster button, the right blinker illuminated. Also, one of my fog lamps had already burned out. I took it in for service that Saturday morning. After keeping my car an entire weekend, Ford assured me that my wiring problem had been fixed. I picked up my car Monday evening after work. Tuesday morning I realized that my door lock remotes didn't work. When I took my car in to get them reprogrammed, I realized that it was my fourth trip to the dealership (including the day I bought my car) in four weeks. I believe the mechanism that controls rolling my automatic passenger window up is malfuctioning.

Very long story not quite as long as it could be, I asked Troy Aikman Ford to give me another Mustang. They refused. They did offer me a free warranty, which I accepted. I requested a refund on the warranty I'd purchased with the car. It's been six weeks and, after seven unreturned phone calls, I finally found out that my paperwork "could not immediately be located". (i.e. It's going to take another six weeks to get my money back.)

Please don't buy a Ford product. If you absolutely have to have a Ford, please do not purchase through Troy Aikman Ford in Dallas!!
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    There is not a brand of car brand made in the world that basically has not had this same scenario happen. It does not mean that all mustangs are junk, it means you got one that needed to have some troubles worked out.
  • amorgan98amorgan98 Member Posts: 2
    You do have a valid point.

I don't think the Mustang is "junk". I think it is a sub-standard product when compared to other manufacturer's sports cars. I think it's important to put my testimonial out there for other consumers trying to make an informed decision.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    mustangs, pony's and gt's, are popping up on the roads like bunnies, whereas just some months ago they were a rare sight. if they were such lemons, this would hardly be happening. :shades:
  • kdana78kdana78 Member Posts: 1
    I'm debating purchasing an '06 convertible Mustang, but I've heard some not-so-hot things about the durability of the top. Has anyone in here had to replace the top? If so, would you mind telling me approximately how much time passed before you had to do so and exactly what went wrong with it that caused you to need another? I'll feel less anxious about my purchase if I know I've done the research. I'll get a hard top if the convertible has been known to give people problems. Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Mustang: Car and Driver 10 Best. My favorite car ever.
    Sorry you got a bad one. I know someone that had wiring problems with their BMW. All brands have problems, some more than others.

You are correct, all consumers should do research. I did mine and couldn't be happier.
    Thank you... i was told that it's because i am reading a "problem" thread & got scared. Maybe the 06 would be better for me... it's alot of $$$.. can't afford your GT...
    yes, i guess i am under too much pressure. plus my bldg. does not want me to keep two cars here. (one i own: chrysler convertible & one i am using: rental car) so that compounded with the recent death has me quite shaky... i thought i found the perfect deal (mustang) but did freak when i read this post. it seems like it was a reoccuring problem w/fuel tank, sensors, engine light, 'beeps'etc...BUT the strange thing is that after reading these posts i contacted the dealer where the Mustang in question is (with my $deposit) & asked to see the service record from the "one prior owner" & i never heard back from them! so obviously there is something peculiar going on. maybe the gorgeous car isn't so worthy...do you think carmax mechanics are reliable? also the price seemed BELOW blue book! i was just wondering if the 05 is as bad as what i read... thankyou for your kindness.,k.
    yes, that is true! do you think the 05 is well-made? do you think the 06 was refined a bit more to get rid of the so-called "new issue 05" problems? is there a particular MONTH of manufactured car i should look for in the 05? 06? ugh...not easy for me...thanks,k
  • trantitranti Member Posts: 51
    Hi!Amorgan98,
    I understand how painful you are. I hope after reading this message, you fell better.
    I bought 2005 Mustang from Sunnyvale Ford, CA ,the last on the lot because it was $4000 off from sticker on Jan 28, 06. It was made in March 05.
    1)On Feb 4, 06, I came back to the dealer due to bad rear pad ( brake).
    2)On Feb 7, 06, I was at the dealer due to whining noise from rear axle, clunk noise when turning right or left and drivers door handle was mis aligned. They ordered parts.
    3)On Feb1306, I came back. They replaced ring and pinion, bearings, strut mount, and door handle.
    4) On May 5, 06, I went to the dealer due to vibration at 1500 rpm. They order parts.
    5) On May 8, 06, I came back. They attached a damper to the exhaust pipe. It is better, but the problem is still there.
    6) On Jun 1,06, I came back to the dealer due to thumping noise between 60 and 70 mph. They said that it was normal. It was just slight wind buffeting. Terrible!
    7)I thought that was enough, I went to a Toyota dealer to trade the Mustang for a Toyota Camry. They offered the Mustang ( V6, Coupe, Premium, Traction control , AT, Interior upgraded ) for $15,000. I could not afford to lose so much; So, I left.
    8) On Jun 23,06, I took my Mustang to another Ford dealer, Fremont Ford, CA. They recognized the problem ( thumping noise between 60 and 70 mph). After rotating tires, checking shocks... they didn't know what happened. They called Ford tech support and found out the problem was bad driveshaft. They fixed and the problem was solved. I thanked the advisor and the tech million times for what they did for me.
    Right now the car runs like dream. I hope all bugs were gone.
    I am happy that the Toyota dealer did not accept my offer of $ 16,000 for my trade in.
    I hope you feel better.
    Hi! Mustangk.
    Buy brand new one. Don't buy used or rental Mustangs. Most of owner trade their cars, especially Mustangs, due to problems. People usually abuse rental cars.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Good advice.
    yes, you are probably right. i never purchased anything used but i cant afford a new mustang. thought 05 V6 basic mustang at $15000 was ok..(with two full years bumper-bumper warranty remaining plus what's left on limited powertrain) car has 11,400 miles...i found out today that the car was manufactured/built 1/31/05...do you know if that was a good month because i read certain months were less problematic than others??? thank you, k.
    Hi! Mustangk. The price $15000 for the car is OK. My second thought is a brand new 06 V6, base Mustang with AT is less than $17000. Why buy used? 05 Mustangs have many problems. I agree that problems can be fixed; But, the big problem is some dealers, not all dealers, are not willing to fix the problems. They just want us to go away. They consider we bother them. You can read my post at" Read before Buying a Mustang".
    thank you for your reply. i found out today that the dealer (not Ford) wants $16000 (not 15000)for that 05 (has some extras: anti-theft alarm, etc.) BUT i think you are correct that maybe a new base V6 06 would be better for me. i will read your post. i am not sure i can afford a base 06...does "AT" stand for "automatic"?...also is it necessary to have anti-lock brakes & traction control as an option? i am really grieving badly from my mother's death & i am just afraid to buy something used (that 05 we are talking about...11400 miles). i know anything can be wrong w/06 but maybe the kinks are fixed w/gas tanks, sensors, etc. which i have been reading are horrendous...ALSO, TODAY someone said "ford" means something like f(for)o(only) r(repairs) d (daily) UGH!!! any idea what a base 06 should cost in Miami? thank you.. i really appreciate your help..i have not been feeling well about this whole mustang thing...i am really NOT a toyota person but people say they are dependable and last for a lifetime???? i rather have the mustang....
    i forgot to ask you if the "17000" for the base 06 includes tax, that dumb destination charge (approx. $720 here) someone looked it up in one of those internet places and they told me $18341 was what the going price is around here...seems HIGH for a basic v6 (06) with air & automatic... help me if you can...i want to find your post...thankyou very much, k.
    TRANTI, please give me your post number to read "read before buying a mustang"...i cannot find it...thank you, k.
    Hi! Mustangk. In California, you can buy a Mustang V6, Coupe, base with AT automatic transmission for around 17,000. This price including destination charge, but before tax. I bought my 2005 Mustang V6, AT , premium, Traction Control 6 months ago for 18,400 before tax . My post" Read this prior to purchasing a Mustang" ( Sorry! Not Read this before Buying..) was moved to this title, Ford Mustang 2005+ problems and solutions # 1348.
    hi! i read your story & am SO HAPPY you found another dealer & your car problems were solved...i don't know if i could go thru all that...i hope everything is still fine w/your car...WOW, i wonder why the price is cheaper in CA than here, Miami...i think i am going to pass on that 05 on hold for me (they would lower the price) and try for an 06 -new...I just don't know if this whole mustang chic is a "lemon" or if its a great car...i never had problems when i rented them but it's NOT the same as owning...also i am still scared about getting "stuck" w/problems with a Mustang...UGH...is there any certain month i should look for (when it was made? in 06?) when looking for a new 06 coupe??? they are running over $18000 here which is alot of $$ for me...by the way, what color is your car? i hope you still love it as you endured too too much...try & let me know if certain months were better than others in an 06, ok? how would i know, anyway? thanks alot, k.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    You seem super worried about the Mustang's reliability. I seriously suggest you go and read the regular 2005+ Mustang board to see that the number of people that LOVE their 05+ Mustangs (myself included) far outweighs the number of folks with real problems and folks that are just complaining for complaining's sake. It will ease your mind.
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    I have an Oct 2005 build date for m 06 V6. And Im quite satisfied with mine. I didnt have any of the problems like many 05 buyers had.

Look for a late 05 or 06 build date. You can see the date on the sticker which is on the drivers side door well.

You know you love the car. Go for it.
  • krez31krez31 Member Posts: 1
    Hummm, this is weird. I just got my '06 Mustang V6 Coupe in May. I love the car but I too am having a fueling problem. Although it is pretty much the opposite of what you all are talking about. The auto shut off doesn't work. Twice now I've filled at different stations one was a mobile and one was a Hess and and the gas has overflowed the tank without shutting off. I have been really careful with it since then. I guess it isn't as bad as the problem you all are having but it is just annoying to buy a brand new car and not have things work properly.
  • riverronriverron Member Posts: 26
    krez31
    I would think that the nozzle not shutting off, would be a GAS NOZZLE problem, NOT a gas tank problem. I realize it happened twice but I don't think that is a Mustang problem. Did you have the nozzle set on the slowest fill position?, if so some nozzles will not work on the slowest setting.
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    I bought a new 2005 V6 auto mustang in Dec. 05. Since then this is how the car has performed for current or propective buyers. When new, it had a rear brake noise, clunking sound from front end and fueling problem. All corrected under warranty from dealer. For the next year, no problems. One year later, the fueling problem reappeared. At first, Ford said there was nothing they could do, but a very good service manager at Mccoy Mills Ford in Fullerton California went the extra mile for me and installed a 06 fuel tank for my 05 car even though ford said it was not necessary. Anyway, it worked; no more fueling problems. So, at this time, the car runs good, no problems and I intend to keep it.
  • otterwayotterway Member Posts: 10
    I have problems. I have imported an '05 GT into the UK. When this was done an SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) conversion was done to add turn signals to each side of the car, plus make the rear light cluster indicate with an amber light. (we have to do this in the UK even though it ruins the look of the car!)
    I have had the car for 14 months and suddenly it had decided it want to keep the right side turn signal ON permanently.
    I have done a little research and found that there is a chance the "smart junction box" has failed due to the effects of the SVA conversion. Does anyone know about he "Smart box"? Can it be reset somehow? I have found a guy in the UK who says its costs £490 GBP to replace the box!!!!! plus £999 GBP to sort out the lights again properly.
    Any info on this would go down very well.
  • silverstrksilverstrk Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know a reliable way to remove the caution sticker from the visor?
  • pambopambo Member Posts: 1
    I just got back from the dealership with the same problem on my new 06 GT. I just turned 8000 miles. He said it was an internal clutch problem that seems to be common. He drove my new car and of course it didn't want to make the really loud groan and moan that it does when colder so he put it up on the rack and examined it. He pulled off the web some common problems with the new 05-06 GT's and he said this problem occured most often when making slow 90 degree turns. He ordered the parts and said it would take about 3 hours to fix. My husband who is very mechanically inclined also thought it could a differential problem. The dealership said it was not.
    Have this checked while still under warranty!
  • wrekramblerwrekrambler Member Posts: 8
    In defense of your hubby... the internal clutches referred to by the dealer control the left/right power split between the two differential side gears. They are inside the differential case at the rear of the car. I suppose, strictly speaking, they are not part of the differential. However, fixing them requires removing and disassembling the differential. I think 9 out of 10 mechanics would consider these clutches as an essential part of a limited-slip differential.
  • joelbjrjoelbjr Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had issues with the convertible top? Mine is almost impossible to close or release on the right hand side. I have had this car since last July ( 6k miles) and other than a loud click when the A/C compressor engages (fixed but back again) have had no problems
    2005 V6
    5 speed
  • 2006_redfiregt2006_redfiregt Member Posts: 1
    FWIW I have the same problem (rear end gear noises on slow full turns). Going to get it checked this week (or get them to order the parts). I am sad.
  • silverragtopsilverragtop Member Posts: 7
    I'm having an issue with my convertible top. The inside head liner is pulling away from under the first bow at the front of the top on the drivers side. I took the car to the dealer today. They called this afternoon and said that this issue had been resolved. I picked up the car this evening at 7:00 PM and the head liner was still pulled away from the first bow. I think the liner will in time, pull away from the entire bow and leave the front porion of the liner just hanging all the way across. I'll call the dealer in the morning and see what they have to say about their fix.
  • wahea1wahea1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    The problem with my ford may be generic.Many times my drive gear will only engage after several attempts.It seems to occur especially when the car is sitting on an incline,although it does when sitting on a level surface.

I suspect that my gear box maybe in trouble.Thats my novice analysis.Can anyone confirm what the problem may be?

tnx
    Winston
  • silverragtopsilverragtop Member Posts: 7
    I took my Mustang convertible back to the dealer for a second time today. The dealer called in an interior specialist to look at the head liner where it is pulling away from under the first support bow. Their conclusion is that the head liner is too short on the left side and will continue to pull away from the bow each time the top is put down. Eventually the entire head liner will pull away from under the support bow. The dealer suggested replacing the head liner with a new one. The problem is the dealer said that this repair will be very difficult and time consuming and they did not want to make the repair and suggested taking the car to a larger service department that has a body shop.
    I took a good look at the way the head liner is attached to the inside of the roof and believe replacing the liner properly will be difficult. The liner is attached to the first bow with a plastic lip and is then sewn to the roof in 3 or 4 places. I do not belive the head liner can be replaced without making a big mess of the car. The dealer said the rear seats will need to be removed to get into the convertible top well. Tearing apart a 2 week old car is just not a option in my opinion. I'm taking the car to another dealer on Thursday morning to get their opinion on a fix. I'm going to suggest they replace the entire top with a new one.
    On a lesser note, the finish on one of the silver air vents is starting to peel off.
    After owing this car for 2 1/2 weeks and driving it less than 100 miles, I'd have to say this car is nothing but junk.
  • posxmusicposxmusic Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had any problems with their gauges and milage reading wrong? I have the 06 mustang v6, and twice now they both have fliped out on me, i put 20 bucks in gas tonight, then ran some errands and went to work. the car sat for 8 hours, then when i started it, it said 112 miles to empty, before i even pulled out of the parking lot, it beeped and only 12 miles to empty! and never reset it self, i stoped, turned off the car, let set for a few mins. Re-installed the gas cap, and it still read only 12 miles left. it did this a month ago as well, at first i thought my gas was ripped off, i bought a locking gas cap and now it is doing it again. I checked ford site, there are no recalls on this, and i am calling my dealer to have it checked out, but wanted to see if any problems were reported on here first. Thanx for any info!
    Gene
  • bobcathbobcath Member Posts: 13
    Recently have had to have the gearshift replaced (under warranty) because lever wouldn't click into park.

Also getting a low growling noise in rear when making slow turns.

'05 GT convertible w/ 6000 miles.
  • casing1casing1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 05 and the same thing happened it's the sensors in the fuel tank or whatever. I had them replaced with the ones that should be in there and it's doing fine. Ford know's about it. It happens with the 05 and 06 models. Not all of them but some. Take it in and just have them replace it. I'm surprised they haven't had a recall yet.
  • husker5husker5 Member Posts: 15
    Yes, this is a known problem and there is a TSB on it. It has something to do with sulfer in gas. Mine did this once and the dealer has agreed to replace the 2 fuel sensors and sending units in the gas tank. I haven't scheduled this yet.
    On my way to work today, it jumped from 10 miles left to 68 miles, i know for a fact i have over a half a tank. got an appointment Thursday at 8:30 am. they said i will be in a rental, said 2 hrs just to take apart to see. But i will give detail as soon as i hear what the problem is and the length one may be looking at to fix. as for cost, i'm still under warrenty but i'll get a guestimate to for those that may not have a warrenty. Thanx for the Info! ;)
  • stpstarnstpstarn Member Posts: 9
    Although my problem is different, the entire frame was bent on my convertible top and would come up at an angle, they did replace it and yes they had to take out the back seats and you can still tell they had to do this on one side and it took several trips to get the top on just right, buttons would pop looses straps would hang out when the windows closed, that sort of thing, but so far so good, (knock on wood) I haven't had any more trouble out of it. Good Luck to you!
    Got mine back from the dealer today, they had the car for 2 days, upon my arrival, they said they could not find anyhting wrong with it! I had told them what you guys told me about the sensors on this, and how it had fixed yall's...i was told to come back next week when i go to get gas to take one of the mechanics with me...how lame is this?..i guess as i read from someone in here..dont tell them what you think is wrong with the car! Now i feel like one of those wifes that tells the grumpy hubby that something is wrong, and the hubby sais he cant find anything...lmao...this sux, so i guess we'll see. :confuse:
  • alex197alex197 Member Posts: 15
    Well, did the new clutch package fix this problem? In my case, they tried to blame the ring and pinion gear so they replaced it, ford engineering told them to replace the clutches. Well they did both and the noise went away but they introduced a new noise because they didnt get the backlash set properly. Soo, ford told the dealership to put in a new rear end and they did. After 500 miles on the new rear end, the same noise came back when turning at low speeds. Now, im working with fords problem and solution team to get it fixed. Ford came up with a new internal clutch package and im waiting to get it installed. I just wondering how many of you guys out there have the same problem?
  • alex197alex197 Member Posts: 15
    Did the same problem come back?
  • bobcathbobcath Member Posts: 13
    Just started having the same problem, but don't know if it's that big a deal? Does it get worse?
This discussion has been closed.