Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    White Mustang, with blue stripe has always been to American racing colors. They do race Mustangs. As for chrome wheels, they can look sharp on a black car, like a Mercedes, BMW or a Stang. Do you need 18" wheels -- I think not. Hood scoops can look good, or they can be a bit too large looking like on the WRX. Yeah, non-functional on the Stang, but it may not be an overdress. I personally dislike the spinner wheels, which aren't real.

Don't care for the manual tranny on the Mustang, so would buy the automatic. It is one of those drive it, and if it feels right to ya, and you are thinking of buying a stick - go for it! In this case, I do not like the tranny.
    -Loren
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    What don't you like about the manual tranny?
    Clutch seems too heavy. The point of catch seemed a bit hard to get use to, but I did not drive it too long - just short test drive. The stick is a bit notchy. Mostly it is the really stiff clutch. For driving on a track, or just a fun run, it may be OK. Would not want to live with it for daily travel around town or stop and go traffic anywhere.

Best manual transmission I have found so far is on the Miata.

On a Mustang, I think I would go with the automatic. Wonder if some sort of shiftronic - tiptronic or whatever so called tranny is in the cards for Mustangs? And the new 3.5 V6 is a go?
    -Loren
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    A heavy-duty trans, used also in Ford trucks, I believe, is needed to handle the high horsepower and torque. Has a short smooth throw, ultra quick shifts. I found it's much easier to use, actually quite easy, quite fast, if one moves the seat up a bit closer than one is used to.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    These transmission are over spec for the cars. The V6 uses the Tremec T5 which was previously on the Mustang GT.

People report that the notch lessons with time.

As for the clutch, most of the effort is probably a result of you stretching. I wish the car had either adjustable pedals or telescoping steering column.

Mark.
  • 40yearswaiting40yearswaiting Member Posts: 17
    I purchased a 2006 V6 with a stick and took delivery in December 2005. In the beginning I was disappointed in the shifting. It was rough and stiff and I had a lot of trouble getting into reverse. That's how I found this forum.

I have been driving stick for more than 25 years and my daily driver is a '96 Celica which shifted smooth as silk from day one.

Anyway, in April I spoke to the service manager and he was aware of this complaint and checked for TSBs. There weren't any. His technicians suggested that I need to drive the car more to break it in. They were right. The shifting has become easier. I have also found that if I don't put the clutch down to the floor I have trouble getting into gear. I am a short woman which means I have to keep the seat up close. I also find that depending on the shoes I wear my shifting changes. What I mean is if I wear a shoe with a thin sole it takes more effort to get the clutch pedal all the way down.

I would still never buy a Mustang with an automatic. It's a sports car and has a "heavy" clutch. I also would not buy a car like this if I had a commute that required sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.
    Last time I had a car with the clutch not shifting until fully depressed, it was the master slave cylinder going out. It finally got to the point that even all the way in, it barely would allow a shift into a gear. I think it should be more like the last third out, or in when depressed in-which it engages or disengages. The GT I tested out seemed to grab around a the last third letting it engage. Check for fluid level.
  • sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    new mustang owners please consider a 3M clear bra. having the clear bra installed will save the paint on the car's front end from rocks that will cause the fragile water based paint to chip. i reccommend the extended kit with the door cups (will protect your door cups from scratches caused by nails or rings). probably one of the best initial mods, please consider.
    Clear bra - interesting! Oh, on your car. Not too sure I'd go for that.
    But you'd go for a clear one of "the other kind?" :surprise: Oh my, m1miata, I wouldn't expect to hear that from a woman! :P

Actually, the clear bra is a pretty good idea. The only thing that keeps me from getting one is that line that you'd see at the edges. It would drive me nuts.
    what makes that line worse is that it gets more visable over time as dirt collects there. Plus if you wax the car its a total mess at the edge.

Mark.
    Hate bras on cars, almost as much as carpet on the dashboards.

And last time I checked, I was not a woman. :shades:

And yes, the clear bra, may be a better alternative to the ugly black ones.

OK, who votes for the clear vinyl covers on the seats? My aunt use to have those on her Galaxie 500. :D

Maybe some curb feelers, so those fake spinners won't touch the curb? :surprise:
    -Loren
  • mahmommahmom Member Posts: 1
    Well today I have taken my 06 Mustang GT Manual Premium Package in to the shop AGAIN!! I bought it June 10,2006 and it only has 5,000 miles on it. I took it in this time because it kept telling me to check my fuel cap and wouldn't go away. I was also having the same problem with the noise when I was turning worse in reverse and in first gear. They informed me that they have fixed the fuel cap problem and that if I come pick it up to bring it back next week and they are going to put a new clutch package in it. I am a little annoyed because I also had to have a new alternator put in not even a month and a half after my purchase when it had less than 1000 miles on it. I hope that this doesn't continue I am beginning to believe the old FORD stories I hear.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    The clear bra is like plastic slipcovers on furniture. :(
    It's not that bad guys.

And my bad, Loren. :shades: I've never known Loren (alternately Lauren) to be a "male" name. Innocent mistake on my part and the correction is duly noted. :)
  • rexmrexm Member Posts: 1
    My 05 premium convertible is now going back for the second time in a month for a repair of the headliner. It pulls loose from the hard section on the front edge.

Has anyone seen this successfully diagnosed and corrected? :mad:
  • madboutmustangmadboutmustang Member Posts: 3
    I could have written any one of these entries unfortunately I have had all of them happen to my 06 mustang. Ford had my car for a solid month while they threw parts at it trying to "fix" it. It being the check engine light coming on, and finally the car dying on me and going into the "limp home" mode on a fairly regular basis. It took a Ford salesman picking up the car and having it die on him to get the ball rolling as far as a serious repair. From what I'm told they replaced several sensors, the pcm, and finally the throttle body. The throttle body was supposed to be the "fix". Did'nt keep the car long enough to find out, Ford would not buy the car back, so we wound up trading out of it. As far as a new car, Ford as to determine that it is a lemon and approve a buy back, which they may or may not do depending on which day you catch them. We just happened to have a great dealership in our hometown willing to trade us out of it. Good luck to you, It's maddening huh !!!!
  • silverragtopsilverragtop Member Posts: 7
    I have an 2005 Mustang Premium convertible and the headliner pulled loose from under the first bow. The first dealer I took the car to put a wad of masking tape between the roof and the headliner to stick it to the roof (real nice). I took the car back and they decided that the headliner was cut too short and suggested installing a new one. The problem was they said the replacement of the headliner was hard and time consuming and they would not do it. I took the car to another dealer and they ordered a new liner and sent the car to an interior trim shop for the install. The new liner lasted 4 opens and closings of the roof before it fell out again. The dealer sent the car back to the trim shop and they determined that the attachment design of the headliner is poor. When you open the roof all of the tension on the headliner is removed causing it to fall out of the track it sits in. The interior shop used some kind of waterproof cardboard shims and placed them along the track above the headliner under the first bow. I have not opened the roof since I got the car back. I'm in the process of lemon lawing the car, so I don't care if I ever open the roof again. My attorney said that shimming the headliner in place is not a real fix to the problem. I've had nothing but problems with the car since I purchased it and I've had enough. The rear wheel bearings and seals have been replaced, the front and rear rotors have been cut, the silver finish was peeling off one of the A/C vents, the rocker flairs were loose and falling off in front of the rear wheels, the parking break lever broke and I have a clicking sound coming from the front end every time I apply the brakes. All this with less than 730 miles on the clock. This car is bad news and I can't wait to get rid of it. I'm going to purchase a Honda S2000 after this mess has been resolved.
    I looked at a used 2005 Mustang convertible sitting on a dealer lot and the headliner was falling out of that car as well. The headliner setup in this car is poor.
  • sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    the clear bra is almost a neccessity if you want to preserve the car. if you don't care about chips and scratches then its not for you. but believe me, you will get chips on the hood, fender and front bumper within a thousand miles or so. the water based paint is so fragile. lead paint was much much stronger but now outlawed. for owners with darker colors, your door cup areas will scratch easily from everyday use (the area underneath the door handle). clear bra will protect this area as well. also, DO NOT take the mustang or any other new car for that matter through a brissel/touch automatic car wash. either hand wash (with micro fiber spounge) or touch free wash. the brissels on the autowash WILL give you swirlies that are only completely removed by a wet sanding. i would also reccommend a shorty antenna as a mod, that and the all weather floor mats are pretty sharp. shorty antenna here:

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?follow-pro=2&vwcatalog=mustangtuni- ng&query=antenna&catalog=mustangtuning

regards to all new mustang owners. she is a beautiful car, please take care of her.
  • cpelusicpelusi Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Gt that ran fine until the beginning of August this year. It all started with hesitation on accelaration, then progressed rapidly to stalling when I was at a stop and hit the gas. Took the car into the dealer the first week of August. They replaced the fuel pumps in the car. Got the car back and two days later same symptoms reappeared. Back to the dealer where it took several days for them to duplicate the problems. They re- calibrated and sent me on my way. Car stalled again, back to the dealer where they installed a flight recorder. I drove the car for two days, experienced several hesitations on accelaration and two stalls. Back to the dealer, checked the data on the flight recorder , and they diagnosed it with a bad mass airflow intake. Replaced that part, they test drove it for 70 miles and it stalled on the tech. Still at the dealer, getting no help from them or customer service. Do I need to get a lawyer? Anybody with this same problem? :cry:
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    While driving over the weekend I got a cycle of error messages. I can't remember them all, but remember Oil pressure low, check braking system, emergency brake on, etc.
    The gauges did not function nor did the turn signals. I shut the engine and restarted and all was fine until the next day when it happened again and restarting wouldn't clear the error messages. The next day the messages did not appear, but the check engine light remained on. I took the 550 mile trip back home last night (1st long trip) and reflashed the computer back to original backup (was at a 93 performance tune) and the engine light has not appeared since.
    Any clues to what might have happened? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • mtang69mtang69 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Mustang, first sports car..so far everything seems fine..after reading some of the msgs in this site, yall have me worried. Anyway back to my question, I have a white stang and the paint seems to have little specs of yellow and black in the paint, at first I thought that it was sap off of trees. Have washed it several 100 times..still there..and then I looked at my sisters car and she has a 2005 stang, white also, same problem. Can anyone help or give advice. Thanks :blush:
    If you have a paint defect, it is imparitive that you immediately go to your dealer. Paint defects may only be covered for 12 months/12,000 miles.

Don't be afraid to assert a warrenty claim. If your dealer fails to help you, go to another one. You at least want to get a response from Ford, not just the dealer.

Make the dealer take digital photos of the car and submit the claim to Ford.

If the problem is in the paint though, it may be something you have to live with, even if Ford offers to paint the car for you. A full body paint will negatively affect your cars value :(

One other option is to consider getting Le Mon strips. I saw a white GT500 yesterday with the Blue stripes and it looks awesome!

The Vista Blue stripes are as metallic as the Vista blue paint and the stripes REALLY kick!

Mark
    My car has 13,000 miles on it..But the specs are all over the car, but mostly in the rear...and the same with my sisters car..Thanks for your advice
  • joelbjrjoelbjr Member Posts: 5
    Yesterday I received a pretty good scare when the passenger door opened as I was making a turn. No warning prior, no buzzer or alert to let me know the door was ajar until it opened. Noticed two things that may have contributed: 1.) exterior door handle is sticking ( both sides) and 2.)If you just push the door closed it apparently engages just enough to keep the sensor from tripping but not enough to keep it closed if there is any force against it. Car is a 2005 convertible with 8K miles. No other real problems that have been persistent or a pesterance. Anyone else had this problem?
  • joelbjrjoelbjr Member Posts: 5
    Mine came with the clear bra on all front surfaces. Dealer is not sure how it got on the car since they claim they did not install it nor did any of the other Mustangs on the lot have one so they didn’t charge me the $500 or so . This has been great! I have taken some serious hits in the front and not a scratch.
  • silverragtopsilverragtop Member Posts: 7
    You have every right to be worried. The Mustang is junk. I've had nothing but problems with mine and am in the process of a Lemon Law battle with Ford. We go to court on 12/20/06 and hopefully shortly there after I'll be rid of this junk.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Not likely it's a paint problem given that the vehicles are two different model years. Water will cleanse tree sap so it can't be that. If you haven't already tried doing so, apply some wax and see if it cleans up. Failing that, use some light polishing compound.
    My '06 Mustang ran great untill just over 5,000 miles. Same "symptoms" as yours. Ford actually kept my car for a month, replacing sensors,several other parts, installed recorder box, replaced pcm and finally the throttle body. At that point it stopped dying on them and they deemed the car fixed. Dont know that a lawyer at this point would do you any good. They pretty much have to deem your car a lemon, and then it's up to Ford whether they deem it a lemon and will replace it for you. Unfortunately, best they will probably do for you is offer a 5 year extended warranty. Good luck, we traded out of ours by the way. :)
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    Get some claybar and see if it removes it. It does wonders!
  • auburn1616auburn1616 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Mustang is making these terrible noises. When ever I turn (either way) it makes this TERRIBLE squealing noise. We took it to the dealership, they claim nothing is wrong with it. My husband is going to take it in again soon. Also, I just feel like it swerves all over the road. I don't feel like a car that is less than a year old should be doing this!!!!!!!! Anyone else experienced these problems?

Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like a very loose power steering belt.
  • spcardspcard Member Posts: 5
    I just took my 06 GT to the dealer service center last week, with the exact same problem. It turns out that Ford is aware of the problem. I was told there is a "tech bulletin" in regards to the problem and how to fix it. It even states this on the work order I was given after the work had been done. I was told the "clutches" in the rear axle needed to be adjusted and a synthetic lubricant was used. A spacer was also added. since I got it back , which was the next day, it sounded just fine. and its still ok. The service advisor rode with me so he could hear the noice. Right away he heard it and called it a "howel" coming from the rear end. I think next time you should make a service advisor go with you so he can hear it for himself. Also let them know there is a tech bulletin in regards to the problem. Ive had my share of problems with my car also, so I can really relate. I have a post on here about it. My car is only a month old. At one point they had it for almost three weeks for another problem !!! But thats another thing. Well good luck and I hope you get it taken care of soon. take care.
    I had almost the same problem with my 06 GT. I wrote a post about it. My car was only a week or so old when it started to idle rough. And at a stop light it almost died twice. My engine light went on too. I took it to the dealer and I was told the PCM ( power control module) was bad. It took three weeks to fix it. They had it the whole time. They gave me a loner car and a rental car, but still that doenst make up for the fact that a new car shouldnt have that problem. Id say at least bring it up to the dealer. It couldnt hurt. But watch out, it took three weeks just to get the part and they had the car the whole time. I went and saw it while I was picking up the loner car. It was sitting in the back with the hood ajar, covered in like an inch of dirt. Im tellin you, it pissed me off. I hope you find out what the problem is soon. I really can relate. Take care. Oh and if they do need to keep it for a while, make sure you get them to give you a loner or a rental. I know for a fact they can do both. Take care.
    Your tellin me its maddening. I almost gave the car back also...but the lemon laws in my state, california, says it has to be in the shop four times for the same thing. And it has to be a mechanical problem. It only has to be in twice for problems that would result in death or great bodily injury. Now I drive it like its gold. I baby it when I drive because im afraid of something else going wrong. Go figure. Its too bad because it is a good looking car and ive gotten nothing but compliments on it almost everywhere i go in it. And when its running good...that sucker runs. I guess right now I kinda have a love-hate relationship with it. Well good luck with you new car and I hope you are happy with it. What did you end up getting? Take care.
  • 06v6lover06v6lover Member Posts: 4
    I had to take my 1 week old 2006 stang in to my service department for a loud rattle/vibration coming from the passenger side dash and after driving it with the serv. rep. and a tech they said oh yeah its a TSB so they took my pass. side a pillar cover off and supposedly put some foam piece in there. It fixed the problem.I havent heard it since. Only problem I had was the tech got grimy fingerprints all over my parchment leather trim and seats BOY WAS I HOT!!!!!!
  • 06v6lover06v6lover Member Posts: 4
    You think thats bad I had to drive a loner taurus for a week after i bought my 06 cuz first they had to repaint the entire front bumper cuz the paint peeled off, then they took it to get rustproofed (midwest) i got it back and refused to take it because the undercoating crap was all over my performance white paint so after detailing and buffing it out i go to pick it up and i tell them the back bumper is still not right so the kid from the body shop buffs it all out and just as hes finishing up he gets the buffer caught under the pass. side taillight and breaks the lens and burns a huge spot of the paint off all the way to the plastic. So i finally get it back the next day I take it home and i pop the hood to put on some parts i ordered and the bolts that hold the front bumper on are not tight and both my head light mounts are broken because some idiot torqued them down too tight. YEAH i gotta find a new dealership. :cry:
    As reluctant as I was, I traded into another '06 Mustang. We consistantly told them we love this car, but we felt like with that many issues already, there were bound to be more. So, I upgraded to the pony package with the Stampede Edition, Vista Blue with Silver Stripe. So far so good, we're keeping our fingers crossed !!!
    Congratulations! I'm glad you decided to Mustang another shot. Lemons do occur from time to time. You just happened to be one of the unfortunate few to get one. I'm sure your next experience will be much better!

What's the Stampede Edition?
    Well, I read in this site about the gauges messing up, I've had my stang for about a month now and everything was fine until I noticed that my trunk light wasen't working, so I plugged it back in, and headed to town..within 10 miles the gauges started blinking and telling me low fuel messages and low oil, the needle gauges started moving up and down , did this off and on till I unplugged my trunk light, now everything is fine once again...What do you think that was about???? 2006 Mustang
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    it's a regional edition. A few regions of the country offer their own version of the mustang with different badging and stuff.
  • lyssamarieglyssamarieg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 Mustang v6 and its a manual and my fuel cut off kicked in way early too. I got $4.20 in my tank before it cut off. I hear the "thunk" noise in my car when I am breaking or cruising to a stop and I installed a short shifter in my car, I thought it came loose and I was scared to drive it home thinking my transmission rod was going to come off and so I tightened it and lubricated it, then a few weeks later same problem. My mom told me to check my lug nuts and sure enough, they were loose as hell. So my tires almost did fall off when I was driving. my neighbor across the street tightened them, the first one, it spun 3 times before it locked and he had to go around the whole car twice. Plus I still have a think noise.
  • pettibonepettibone Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: :lemon: I also have a 2005 ford mustang and the gas tank has been replaced because it would keep shutting off even though the car was not full yet. After 3 months the problem happened again only the gas started coming out of the bottom of the car as I was putting gas in it! Ford also told me that they can not fix it!!!!! My transmission has gone out 2 times as well, I was driving down the freway and the gear shifter started to spin!! its been replaced 4 times. I hate my car and ford denies its a lemon after its been in the shop for over 28 days in 4 months! I will call the 800#
  • mfulfordmfulford Member Posts: 8
    I have suffered for one year with same problem. As of yesterday Ford bought back the 2006 Mustang. It can be done! Go straight to the owner of the dealership
  • harrerharrer Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 Mustang - beautiful car that I love... however... the dash board is noisy.. anyone else having this problem? I usually turn the music up loud enough so that I don't hear it - but... wondering if anyone has a quick fix.
  • yellowstangyellowstang Member Posts: 3
    Just got mine back from the shop for the 4th time. I still have the same rattle, although the dealer said it was gone. Wish I could help.
  • 40yearswaiting40yearswaiting Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2006 Mustang that curiously started making a creaking noise on the front passenger side about a month ago. I thought it was something in my glove compartment or the dash. I had it to the dealer last week and went for a test drive with the service manager. It turned out to be the right side trim on the pillar near the windshield. They put felt tape behind the trim and I no longer have the problem.
  • rgeorge1rgeorge1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2006 Mustang 4.0 V6 about 2 months ago. The first problem I had was it died after coming to a stop. It did restart but I have also experienced problems with getting gas in the tank when I fill up. This past weekend it died again coasting out into traffic coming off a busy exit. It did restart again but with about 200 miles from home I was a bit nervous about making it back. I have read about problems with fuel tanks and control modules and I'm afraid I made a mistake in purchasing this car. Anybody had similar problems?
  • wboltonwbolton Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info. I just printed and faxed to my dealer, who is trying to find the culprit for the second time. Sure hope it helps.
  • harrerharrer Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your the resoluton to your noisy dash... I am going to print out your reply and bring it with me to the dealership to have mine fixed as well! Appreciate the input!
This discussion has been closed.