Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• tazs05mustangtazs05mustang Member Posts: 11
    ya it is like a siren sound it's odd , after they put your new transmission in did you hear the sound again or no ??
  • mineralgreymineralgrey Member Posts: 4
    The whining sound is very annoying to say the least. I've brought it to the dealership's attention more than once, and they always say they could not hear it. The noise comes on when my has been driven for 5 to 10 minutes. Any time less than that the noise may not come on.

Anyway, did the new transmission Ford put in your car fix the problem? Do tell.

Thanks.
  • tmerrisstmerriss Member Posts: 42
    Problem SOLVED!
    I love these kind of posts:

********ATTENTION ALL 05 MUSTANG GT OWNERS********

The "3250 vibration is now solved"! :D This should please many GT owners. It seems that it is a faulty exaust hanger...and vibrates violently at 3250 and 1200 RPM. We found the problem this morning at my dealership. I'm sure Ford will issue a TSB in the next few days....I knew it was probebly something silly and it was. Similar to the very same probem I had with my 98 Corvette.

Still working on the "2900" problem (probebly rear-end or driveshaft), and are currently working on the "slow RPM drop rate issue". More info as soon as I get it.

Sucess!
    :)
  • stanggtstanggt Member Posts: 5
    Yes it did! Ford made sure that the new transmission had a different serial #. I must say that with all of the problems I've had with my stang, Ford has truly done a remarkable job! I take my car to Big Valley Ford in Stockton California and they deserve an A+ for service. They never question anything and ALWAYS provide me with a rental. They even went as far as to deliver my car to me when the work was completed!!! UMMMMM WITH A FULL TANK OF FUEL!!!!
    Other than a really LOUD squeeky/crunchy noise I have (sounds like its coming from the trunk) every problem I've had has been fixed! I haven't taken my car in for the squeek yet.
    I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!!
    You won't beleive this:

Ford had only 7 GT owners OFICALLY ON PAPER with the "3250 RPM vibration" complaint...but Ford claims almost EVERY 05 Mustang GT has the problem!! So why only 7 complaints on paper? Because Ford couldn't find the problem, so they advise the dealers to tell customers that it is "normal" WTF? :surprise: :surprise: Could that be true? That was what some annonomous people around the service dept. were saying.

Obviously, they didn't tell my dealership that it is "normal". For some reason in my case, they decided to push and try to find the problem. When they realized that it wasn't the tranny mounts, they asked my technician here to "push on" and try to figure it out. Here is how the technical description reads on the invoice:

"At About 1200 1300 RPM 3200 3300 RPM A Vibration All Over The Veh. Can Hear It More Than It Feals Any Gear Or Neutral. EVA And Diagnosis And Verify Concern And Run OASIS And Found 108 And 82 HZ At 3250 RPM Per Ford Neutralize Exaust At 6 Connection And Redrive" Blah Blah Blah (I'll translate the rest into english ;) ).....

It seems that Ford advised the my technician to check all mounts including motor-mounts tranny-mounts and exaust-mounts and brackets...and it was an exaust hanger that did it (slightly twisted I beleive). It was my service tech that found the problem and corrected it, but it was Ford that encourged him to try. Why the sudden about-face from Detroit is beyond me. Anyway, one problem down, two to go!

Yippie!
    :)
    That's good to hear! I am going to let my dealership (Keystone Ford in Norwalk, CA) know about it, and hopefully they can take care of the whining sound with a new transmission.

I'll post the result afterwards. :)
  • hollenbeckhollenbeck Member Posts: 1
    I have the GT model, I got it back in January of 2005, but had it garaged until April. After a few weeks of having it on the road I also noticed the brakes were squeaking and brought to to my dealership. After going for a test ride they looked at the brakes and said that everything looked fine. They told me that Ford has been using a crushed metal for the pads and it's that metal rubbing up against the metal of the disks that causes the squeaking. He said that the squeaking was normal in this situation and there was nothing they could do. Does anyone have a different opinion? I don't think that this is normal. In fact while my car was in the shop for reasons stated below Ford has given me several loners, all 2005s, and none of their brakes have made any noise.

When I brought it in for the brakes we heard a noise coming from the front near the dash. The dealership first replaced the separator plate which didn't help. We brought it back and they replaced the rear gear shift, which didn't help. Finally this last time when we brought it back again they had a engineer from Ford look at it and they are in the process of waiting for a new transmission to come off the line so that they can put it in. We'll see if this helps. :sick:

I saw a lot of people having problems with rear noise, but any have the same noise it the front? It really sounds as if it's coming from behind the radio and it's almost like a rubbing/grinding noise, but it's only audible when the car is quiet. You can't hear it over noise from the radio or with open windows.
  • maxcat2maxcat2 Member Posts: 23
    There seems to be discussion of several problems affecting multiple cars. As these problems pop up multiple times does Ford address them immediately at the manufacturing level or will they be fixed as part the 2006 model year? Part of me thainks that since the new Mustang launch is so important to Ford they will want the new Mustang to have good reliablity and customer satisfaction/initial quality ratings. But the cynic in me thinks any large corporation will continue to do things improperly if they have enough money tied up in existing parts and will hope that not many cars will have problems and fix them at the dealer level. Thanks for any insights.
    Hey i'm taking my 05 Automatic GT legend lime factory made 1/05, purchased feb 27, in tomorrow to get the problems checked out for,

1.Gas tank issue.
    2.Brake fluid reservoir leaking on the plastic that holds the brake fluid.
    3.Brakes squeeking a bit.
    4.When from park to reverse or drive on my automatic shifter it makes a clunk sound.
    5.When taken off on freeway sounded like gears were shifting different from when I bought it
    6.Whineing siren noise come in from back when I accelerate on freeway.

All Keep you all posted after I get it back to let you know what happened thanks again.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I do believe there were some "teething" issues on earlier builds of cars.....say before Feb.

One was the "shaker" stereo, which Ford fixed quickly on the dealer level (TSB issued) and the production level.

The other was the "slow fuel fill" of the gas tank. Again, Ford issued a TSB to fix at the dealer level and made running changes in production.

I've seen a few who've reported some sort of "popping" sound coming from the front, but that has been sporadic.

Mine was built March 23rd. I've experienced none of these problems. That tells me that most of the issues have been addressed quickly on the factory floor.

I subscribe to about 5 other Mustang boards. Since they probably represent 100s, if not 1000s of '05 Mustang owners, I take thier reports of problems a little more seriously. That's not to say I don't think others here at Edmunds don't have concerns. It's just that I've not seen any of the issues mentioned here duplicated in those other boards.

I've bought many new cars, both foreign and domestic, for myself and family members over the years. Based on those experiences, I'd say the biggest stumbling block to owner satisfaction comes from the dealer's service depts. Some are good. Some are bad. If you have a dealer service dept that doesn't satisfy you, by all means, go to another. Any Ford dealer will honor your warranty. Find one that you like....whether it's at your selling dealer or not.

The 2nd biggest stumbling block is the actual owners. Some owners either don't understand what they've bought or they have expectations of the car that are outside the realm of what the car is supposed to be or do. I've seen a couple of posts regarding "strange sounds or vibrations". While I'm sure they exist and that there may be an issue, I do think they're clearly fixable at the dealer level. On the other hand, this car has a powerful V8. Ford purposely made it "rumbling" in the way it sounds. Those of us who are sports car fanatics, want and like those sounds. We didn't want a Buick or Camry.

Best advice I can give, find a service dept you trust and understand what it is you bought.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • jhipsterjhipster Member Posts: 6
    My 05 gt auto mustang is making the whine and howling sound loud enough to hear over the sound of the radio on at average volume. it sounds like it is coming from the back of car The dealer ship has put a new crown and pinion gear plus bearings in. this did not rectify problem. So from what i have read in this forum the exhaust hanger or auto transmmision need replacing Please send more info on this problem you mustang owners, it is much appreachated. thanks
    Yes graphicguy, we do get some sounds with a powerful V-8 that most other cars might not have. Of course there is the exaust, and most people WANT that rumble. Also, espicially in 2nd gear, you can hear the "whine" coming from the tranny, and it is damn welcome, for it is a whine that you get with a muscle car...in fact, it reminds me a little of the whine you get with a drag racer equipped with "gear drive", and I love it! :) I think most Mustang owners love it too. But vibrations that are not supposed to be there are irritating, and I must give credit to Mustang owners, because I think most of them can tell the difference between a sound that is supposed to be there, and a sound that is not supposed to be there. It's irritating when you go to a doctor, and he says "there's nothing wrong" when you KNOW that there is, and you know he probebly knows it, but dosen't know what the problem is, so he will conveniantly dismiss the problem saying it is normal....and that causes several problems...

For one, no progress can be made if a technician won't admit that there is a problem. For another, it makes you feel like there is something wrong with YOU when your told 'nothing is wrong", and that can be degrading. But mainly, when you spend $30K for a car, you WANT THE DAMN THING FIXED as fast as you can, because it puts a damper on owning your brand new car you worked so hard for, and you find yourself asking "why didn't they test the car more throughly BEFORE they released it to the public?...and "can they fix the bugs before the new car smell wears off"?
    :mad:

I know we are all human and make mistakes. But the bottom line is this: Any new car design will have many bugs in it. Ford should of tested this more througly before putting it into showrooms. That was just sloppy.....
    t.....I wasn't directing my comments to you, specifically. I was just making a general statement.

My previous car was an RX8. Rotaries are notorious for "flooding". Post upon post regarding the engine flooding was made. Using that as an example, the dealer should have warned the buyer that you have to warm the car up first if you're taking it on a short jaunt (less than a couple of miles). They didn't. I blame some of that in the dealer. The owners should have also read the owner's manual warning against shutting down the RX8 when cold. That would have allevaited much of the problem.

Talking about the Mustang (specifically the GT), I've found it to be smooth running. If you've got some untoward vibration, then by all means, have the dealer service dept. take a look. If one can't find the problem, go to another.

Having followed the '05 Mustang's development, over the last 3 years or so, I'd say it's one of the most thoroughly tested and engineered cars Ford has brought out in recent years. From what I've read about (in numerous other Mustang boards), whatever issues the Mustang has had, Ford made running changes at the factory to fix quickly. For the most part, those built from March on, have had few, if any problems.

While I know you must be frustrated with the vibration you're experiencing, I don't think it's as common, nor as widespread as you believe it is. It sounds like your dealer service dept is "hot on the case" and has narrowed down, at least, part if the issue. They sound like they can get the rest taken care of, too.

Personally, my GT is probably one of the best built cars I've owned over the last 5 years. It's been perfect since the day I drove it off the lot over 2 months ago. Talking to other owners both locally and throughout the country (via the other Mustang boards), I think the vast majority of us feel the same.

The only thing I've had mine back to the dealer for was to activate the "windows down from the remote" feature that comes with active anti-theft option. That was done the day after I took delivery (and after reading the owner's manual where I found out about the feature in the first place). It took all of 5 minutes.
    I appreciate what you are saying. I know you were only making a general statement, and I was only replying on behalf of some frustrated owners. I know there are quite a few frustrated owners, because I have been reading this forum. And I know my vibration problems are more widespread than you might think, because my dealer told me that Ford told him the problem was widespread!

Mabey it was well tested...but mabey not quite well enough. Those little bugs are not earth-shattering I know, but it is frustrating to order your car, wait two months only to have several "bug-a-boo's" when you get it. What's worse is that Ford was hiding this one ;) , according to a guy who posted earlier around page 4 or 5, and according to my tech! However, your right my tech is on it, and over time I'm sure we will work the 3 bugs out that I have. Now that I have said that, let me agree with you on this...

This is one car WORTH finding the bugs and fixing! It handles like a track car, it rides like a luxory car, it sounds very sweet, runs very smooth, and the looks....well more people in this town will turn to look than they did when I owned a new 98 Corvette! :) The interior is wonderfully nostalgic, very functional, and quite beautiful. I'm having more fun with this car than I did my Vettes, and the tires for this are a LOT LESS.
    All in all, this 05 Mustang GT is a very nice package. If it wasn't, I guess I wouldn't have been so upset at the 'bug's" in it.

05 Mustang GT Premium
    Built in May '05
    Mineral Grey - Interior upgrade
    pretty much loaded..

• howieheelshowieheels Member Posts: 4
    well said tmerris! I agree with all of your comments.
  • jaddayjadday Member Posts: 4
    Hi there,

I just got my first '05 gt automatic transmission last thursday 02/06 and allready seem to have my first problem. It's the same described here; When form park to reverse or drive on my automatic shifter it makes a clunk sound.

Anyone had this same problem and if so, anyone got it fixed allready? What was the cause?

Besides that, it runs gr8!

Thnx..
  • hot_rodhot_rod Member Posts: 13
    My Mustang was built in Oct. 04 and was purchased Nov 6th. I have absolutely loved my mustang considering it is my first. I've been experenced many of the same problems that others have had.

I've been having the gas tank problem since I first bought my car. I have since had it replaced and now the new gas tank is having the same problem as the original.

Also I am about to have my 3rd radio installed. The original would eject the CD and say bad disk and also while playing a song it would stop and skip to the next track for no reason. The 2nd radio installed worked fine until I realized that the lights wouldn't work and the speed volume doesn't work either. Without checking it out they told me that they would replace it again.

Now here's one thing that I haven't heard anyone talk about and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem...... When my fuel gets down to 3/4 tank full, my gage will go to E and my gas light will come on. It's happened on my original gas tank and on my new gas tank. Ford has ordered me a new fuel sensor and I'm waiting for it to come in to replace it. I'm about to the point that I am starting to check out the :lemon: laws for some information.
  • chris72chris72 Member Posts: 2
    I took my '05 V6 in to dealer for 5000 mile service... I had a couple of things I wanted them to check. One was a humming coming from the rear at about 40mph and above. BUT I only heard this when I had my foot on the gas. This problem started at about 2500 miles. I thought it may be the tires at first, but when I'd take my foot off the gas and coast, the sound went away. The dealer called the Ford main office and described the problem to them; the office told them to order a new rear axel assembly and replace the entire assembly rather than taking the thing apart (under warranty). They've had my car now for 20 days....... I had to also get the gas tank thing fixed, and that's the part I've been waiting for on back-order.... Hope everything goes well for you..... but your problem sounds very similar to mine.
  • 5twenty5twenty Member Posts: 11
    That 3rd radio you are about to have installed will not work either if the technicians don't read the TSB and do the proper programming of the OLD and NEW unit. Your 2nd radio isn't broken, it wasn't programmed. Tell you service manager to have his/her technicians READ THE TSB's. Once the proper programming happens, the lights in the buttons and speed volume will work fine.

This same thing happened to me and it really pisses me off that the technicians don't read TSB's when you bring in your car. Shouldn't that just be standard operating procedure whenever you bring your car in? Now you are about to take the trouble to bring in your car and be without it for a day because some lazy technician didn't read the TSB that SPECIFICALLY says if your don't do the proper programming the lights on the buttons won't work. :mad: .
  • hot_rodhot_rod Member Posts: 13
    I figured that it was something that wasn't connected or something small like that. I thought it was kinda weird when I told the service dept. what was going on when I got there and after waiting for over an hour the tech came and asked me what it was doing also. Seems like to me that they would rather get rid of you asap instead of making you wait forever and then do nothing while you wait. I've had problems with other Ford dealers on past vehicles, but I think that this takes the cake.
  • hughes200hughes200 Member Posts: 7
    Here's my list of issues with my 05 stang V6 automatic:
    Exhaust Vibration - fixed
    Front End Popping
    Paint Stripes Peeling
    Slow Fuel Fill
    Passenger Air Bag Light Stays Lit
    Hesitation in Acceleration
    Clunking Sound From P to R

Other than that, I love the car.
    Looks like we're having the same problem with the clunking sound. I'm taking mine 2morrow to see what's wrong.. I'll keep ya'll posted...
  • jfrayzierjfrayzier Member Posts: 1
    I have a V6 Coupe. Built in April, 05.

I have it in the shop right now for a couple of issues, but they called and said it's ready to be picked up now.

The only thing major is the fuel tank. I have filled my car about four times so far and it’s only done it to me at the Kroger pump.

I went to fill it from about 1/8th of a tank and it cut off on me twice right away. After that, it filled fine until I got to $14.99 and it cut off. I didn’t figure this was enough gas, so I tried to add a little more and it overflowed.

I got in the car and I had only about 5/8 tank. I went to Citgo and filled it the rest of the way without incident.

They’re going to replace the tank.

Anyways, the only other issues I’ve had are that there is a small part of the driver’s floorboard that pops when pressure is applied to it. Like a piece of the metal above the floorboard, but under the carpet, is bubbled up or something. Similar to those little popper things that you train a dog with or use to “buzz in” in a board game.

Also the passenger door is rubbing against the striker when the door closes. This isn’t a big problem, I just want to get it fixed. When you close the door slowly you notice that it rubs it and the door actually lifts up ever so slightly as it closes.

The last thing is the drop glass on the driver’s side is rubbing against the frame when it opens.

No driving problems at all. I’ve got about 1,100 miles on it so far and it has driven flawlessly.

Anyways, they said it is done now and they replaced the tank. The driver's door drop glass is fine. They looked at others on the lot and they rub the frame as well. They adjusted the passenger door and I will have to schedule an appointment with the body shop about the popping in the floor board.

I'll let you know all the details after I pick it up.
  • howieheelshowieheels Member Posts: 4
    I also took my auto v6 in for the clunking sound. They told me it was normal for that car. They even had me try 3 new cars on the lot and they all had the same sound from park to reverse. Let me know what you find out. I still do not believe that a new tranny should sound like this.
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    In August of 2004 I placed my order for the GT Mustang Automatic. In four months the car appeared at the dealership. It had everything wrong with it that has been discussed here, and I refused to take delivery of a car with so many things wrong with it. This car also had one problem that I have not seen in this thread: The rear suspension bounced up and down so hard that I thought that Ford had forgotten to install the springs. After reading this entire thread, I am glad that I would not take this car. I decided at that time to wait for the 2006 car and see if the problems have been corrected. It seems that little if anything has been done by Ford to this date. Car & Driver tested the convertable recently, and went on and on about how Ford had corrected the rough ride of the coupe by several suspension changes, and my question to anyone here who might know, is has that change been incorporated into the 2006 GT coupe. I intend to order another GT coupe, but only if these problems have been corrected. Does anyone here know anything about what changes might be made on the 2006 cars? I really feel that this Mustang would be a great car if it worked right. Who wants a car that spends most of its life in the dealers repair shop? In my opinion, a car that is not reliable is worthless, and the makers of such a car should be punished by the consumers not giving them their money. They would soon get their act together if the buying public stayed away in droves. Look at GM.
  • tha1tha1 Member Posts: 7
    Hey Guys,

Anybody have any luck with the hesitation problems on the GT automatic? I swear there is a hesitation in the low gears. Also when I am in stop and go traffic seem to rev engine after braking and getting that feeling of a "thunk" from the engine. Do you guys think driving with overdrive off would give the GT a smoother ride in the stop and go traffic.

Any ideas?
    I think there were running changes made to the suspension (both coupe and convertible) from those that were tested by the trade rags with early models. While Ford won't say, I don't think there were any major changes to the suspension, just tweaks.

That said, the Mustang is NOT going to ride like a Lincoln. What you should notice is the ride is firm and the suspension planting the wheels firmly on the road.

Mine was built March 23. I've never noticed any "bounce" in the suspension at all. Maybe the one you drove had a broken shock from hard test drives?

I do think some earlier builds had the slow fuel fill and skipping shaker stereo, but I believe the changes made at the factory from the end of March going forward, fixed these issues.

No changes to the '06 aside from colors and wheel/tire options.
    Try this on...

I order my GT in a beautiful "Mineral Grey" and pick it up, and I notice the light bounces differently off a small part of the front of hood (about the size of my hand) then it does the rest of the car...so I take a closer look. I go to the car wash and the problem is still there, and I realize my worst fears are confirmed: It looks as if some DOPE mechanic shut the hood leaving a bit of dirt on the hood, so then stupidly wiped the dirt and grease off with a rag, destroying the clearcoat in that area. I don't kow if it was in Michigan, or here at the dealership, but after spending 30K this IDIOCY does not make me happy. Going to FORD right now and see about it...
    Oh boy, that hurts. My GT is the same color, and I'll wash it whenever it gets dirty. :P
    I thought the stiff ride in the rear suspension on my V6 was the way the car was designed. After reading some of the posts, it seems like it's not suppose to bounce if it goes over a small bump. Has anyone had any corrections made to the rear suspension to get a smoother ride?
    Graficguy suggested that my car ( which I did not take) had a broken shock, or perhaps I was expecting a softer ride. None of these things are the case. The one I ordered was so stiff that even the salesperson agreed that it was way too bouncy, and when Consumer Reports tested the 05 GT, they too said that it was too harsh in the rear. Ford cheaped out by using a solid rear axle instead of IRS, and they gave a bunch of hot air excuses for the 50 year old design that makes no sense in the 21st century, and the more I think about the Mustang, the less inclined I am to order another one. When I refused to take the car I had ordered, I went and purchased a 05 Honda Accord EX V6 coupe, and after 22,340 miles, it has never been back to the dealer for anything except oil changes. It has IRS, a 240hp engine, a five speed automatic and every luxury item known to exist, it is silent, fast, fairly good handling, with excellent brakes and on trips, it gets 32MPG. I got this car as a substitute for the Mustang until Ford cleaned up their problems, but the more I use the Honda, the better I like it, and the chance of my ordering another Mustang seem to be fadeing away. I may try the convertible, but I think I will stay away from the coupe. It is just too stiff. I just wonder how many of you guys on this thread wish that they did not take delivery of their car, or wish they could get their money back. I would really like to know the answer to that...Anyone?? This car just has too many problems to give Ford my money,
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    "The one I ordered was so stiff that even the salesperson agreed that it was way too bouncy"

Well, I'll say you and the salesman must have an awful sensitive bodies. Today was our day to go an p/u the long awaited GT convrt. My wife (who's car this is) drives a Chrysler T&C Ltd Minivan and I drive a Taurus. Neither had ever driven the GT prior to ordering. We drove it today for the first time and let me state that one of the first things that impressed both of us was the smoothness of the ride (particularly on bumpy roads). My wife even indicated she thought it rode much smoother than her Minivan and that doesn't have IRS. Maybe because it's a convertible, but we were both impressed.

"More I use the Honda, the better I like it, and the chance of my ordering another Mustang seem to be fadeing away" I'd say go drive the convertible it'll make a believer out of you.
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    First time ever driving the new GT was today when p/u'd up Windviel Blue model with the auto trans. It's been so COOL driving this thing since. Absolutely loving it. The sound of the V8 needs to be heard to believe, it's the sweetest thing.

For fun tonight, I really jumped on it leaving an empty parking lot (back end of airport), had TC set to off, then put it to floor (acting like an imature little kid, this car does that to you) and although super quick takeoff couldn't spin the tires. Seems like should have gotten the Stick if wanted to that eh? Just curious if anyone else tried this and is that just something not going to happen with an Automatic? Also, car does seem to hestitate (when stepping on gas) little bit which surprises me, but when talked with Sales guy he didn't have any ideas, other than engine is new and maybe needs to have some time on it to eliminate the hestitation? Appreciate some feedback on this and wether I should be concerned at all.
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    Regarding noisy rear brakes, I had that. I took it to my dealer and they replaced the pads. But I think that was not the cure. The tech also put swirling grooves on the rotors. It looks bad but this is a good fix. That was 3 to 4 months ago and the noise has not come back. :)
    If you like the Accord more, looking for 30+ MPG, soft ride, quiet, etc, I'd say you were never a good candidate for the Mustang. Accords are fine cars. They aren't performance cars, though. The Mustang is. It's going to have a firm ride. It's going to handle very well. It's going to be loud. It's not going to get 30 MPG. It's going to be "in your face".

I wouldn't think that anyone who is a performance car fan would be satisfied with an Accord or Camry or any car of that ilk.

Enjoy your Accord. I don't think a Mustang or GTO fan would consider one to meet our expectations of what we want out of our cars, though.
    I never said that I liked the Accord more than the Mustang. I said that I liked the Accord on its own merits, and a Mustang with all of the problems stated on this thread is not a car that I would want in preference to an Accord which has no problems at all. I am very familiar with performance cars, and I have owned several Camaro Z28s and Mustangs of prior years, and I know what to expect from such a car, and I can tell you that the 2005 Mustang which I would not accept was not right. The last performance car I had was a 2002 Z28 Camaro, and It was a very good car from day one. It had very few problems, (alignment from factory was off) but other than that I drove it 63, 000 miles with no trouble. My last Mustang, traded for the Z28 was also a very decent car and a body creak was the only problem I had with it. I am telling you that the 2005 Mustangs V6 and GTs are just not right, and you can make excuses for them if you want to, but I will not spend my cash on a car with all of the problems mentioned on this thread. Also, I find your assumption that I have no knowledge of performance cars, and your put=down of me because I made a comparison between a reliable, fuel efficient car and a car which has all kind of problems just seems to me that you have your mind made up and you do'nt want to be confused with facts, or another view of reality. Yes, the Mustang GT is faster, and handles better when it works, it just don't work often enough.You may like getting your car fixed so many times, but I have better things to do with my time than standing around in the dealers shop hoping he can find out what is wrong with the car. If Ford starts producing these cars without all the problems, I will be getting another Mustang, or even, by that time a new Z28 Camaro. Word is, that they (GM) are considering a new Camaro on the new rear drive platform, maybe that would wake Ford up, I hope so.
  • gener2gener2 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2005 GT, manual trans, since December. It has always had, among other problems, a clunking noise in the rear-end, especially when turning. I see alot of people here heve this problem, has anyone had it fixed yet? A Ford Racing Performance "Tech Advisor" at the Nostalgic Drag Races this weekend told me Ford knows what it is but he "wasn't allowed to tell?" I'd like to know if anyone has gotten an answer.
    Well I went to the car dealer but believe it or not the clunking sound did not sound there :mad: I couldn't believe my ears at that moment and untill today it didn't come anymore neither. I do believe too that it wasn't a normal sound but I hope that it stays this way..

Besides that, now, the dashboard (interior upgrade package) has been tickling sometimes by the passenger side. I think/hope this is easy to fix by my dealer. Also when running like 30 minutes and then taking a left turn, I've starting to hear a strange noise in the back. It's like a gear on gear sound.

Anyone has heard this sound? Besides these ones, I still DO love my 2005 GT. :)
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    From the talk here of all these problems, I take it a best bet is to buy a pre-'05.
    Looks like the typical two to three year blues for domestic new model cars. Oh
    well, the more things change, the more they stay the same. - Loren
    the "ticking" noise by the passenger side is a problem I had too but I too care of it. Do you have manual tranny?

It was bugging me and I just could not figure out just where it was coming from. Then I noticed when I shifted into second gear, the sound "broke" for a second. My radar told me to look at the shifter. It seems I had the shifter twisted to the left (toward me), which is something I did on purpose weeks before because I liked the way it looks (the manual shifter is easliy turned either way if you haven't noticed). It seems the leather shift boot which was slightly twisted (because I had slightly twisted the shifter) and it was the SHIFT BOOT making the sound! :surprise: I strightend the shifter and no more problems....
    Appreciate your comments. No put down intended. Just saying that if you consider an Accord more to your liking, then you probably aren't part of the intended market for the Mustang. Ford has sold 120,000 of these so far (on the way to 190,000 for the '05 MY). From looking at several other boards related to the Mustang, I've not heard of any similar complaints to yours.

While I have no recent experience, I've had less than sterling ownership experiences with 2 Hondas. I don't consider those experiences indicative of the brand, however.

Personally, the Accord wouldn't be to my liking for various reasons....mainly to do with performance. I'm certain your Accord is a good car, however. They're nice cars for what they can do.

I'm used to very good handling cars, and prefer those over ones that are more "middle of the road" in their performance. My previous car was an RX8. While the Mustang won't outhandle that car, the ride is better in the Mustang. Mine has had no pops, creaks, groans, squeaks, rattles, vibrations, runs, or errors.

The ability of GM to bring out a Camaro is a dead issue (they certainly can't build them in Canada and their's no plant here capable of making them. They've said numerous times they have no future Camaro plans. It is a shame since I think healthy competition is good.

But, the closest to hope for would be the GTO to survive with an update in the '07-'08 timeframe on one of the General's more modern platforms.

To say the Mustang is somehow "not right" isn't right. It has ferrocious acceleration (GT model). Handles well. Rides nicely. It's comfortable. And, is built well. No excuses need to be made for it.

If it's not your "cup of tea", I don't have any issues with your assessment. If you like your Accord more, you chose your purchase with your pocketbook. That's the right thing to do. But, I think if you took something like a 350Z, RX8 (or any other high performance gear) out for a test drive, I'd bet you may have the same complaints about their suspension, too. They all ride firmer than your Accord.

The Mustang GT will certainly outhandle and ride better than any recent Camaro/Firebird examples (based on some seat time in a Z28 SS).

You might want to take a look at the GTO as it's more softly sprung than the Mustang is.
    Unfortunattely I have a automatic transmission one. Thnx for your comment cause now I can use this information to the dealer so they can trace where it come from. Besides that the car runs gr8 and I wouldn't change it for nothing right now! :)
  • otterwayotterway Member Posts: 10
    I ve just got my 05 V8 auto mustang and have been very pleased with it so far. Ive been driving it a month and have started to notice a few "funnies". I dont know if its me just tuneing my hearing in but Im sure the transmission is getting noisey. It seems to be throwing off a grainy churning kind of noise. Has anyone else noticed this?
    After reading other peoples posts i also have a skipping Shaker 1000, "thud" shifting from park to reverse and cant fill my tank up with petrol at nearly 50% of petrol stations I stop at.
    I also find that even with TC off i cant spin the wheels off the line. should have gone for the manual tranny.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    If you and the other fellow want to spin the tires at a launch. Simply press the brake and the throttle at the same time. the rpms will hold around 200rpm and let it go and smell the rubber.

By the way, I second graphicguy's opinion on the person who got an Accord coupe. My brother's 350Z is harsher in ride. the G35 coupe too. The Mustang, for me, was actually too soft. My Eibach Pro0Kit fixed that and it now feels like a sports car. Thing is, there are concessions to be made when getting Mustang, 350Z, etc...part of the package of getting sports car, not a sporty car.

Also, my shifter boot is noisy only in second gear, I will try moving it around because it sound like something is rubbing and making a obnoxious noise. I still have the rattle from the passenger side dash, under the aluminum because when I press down...it disapeears. The good thing is I don't hear it much when the windows are down. UNfortunately today is raining! :mad:
    Hi when you guy's took your car in for the gas tank problems and etc. did they have your car for about 2 weeks?? Cause it seems like it is takein a long time im getin sick of this rental car and waiting please respond thank you .

Joe,
  • lori376008lori376008 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A BAD PROBLEM WITH MY 05 GT CONVERTABLE. IT SEEMS THAT FORD HAS USED NYLON BUSHINGS IN THERE STRUTS, MY CAR SOUNDS TERRIBLE GOING OVER ANY BUMPS! IT HAS BEEN 8 WEEKS AND STILL NO FIX, THE DEALERS SAYS THAT FORD IS WORKING ON THE PROBLEM. I AM WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS THIS ISSUE?

I HAVE CONTACTED FORD, TO HAVE A VERY SNOTTY PERSON TELL ME THEY CANNOT DO ANYTHING, JUST KEEP WAITTING FOR MY DEALER TO CALL ME BACK! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Mine is still in for the gas tank. I'm hoping it won't be two weeks. Did the dealer give youa loaner?
    If it's a popping sound you are hearing from the front end, check out TSB 05-9-11. That may address your front end issue.
    Ya they gave me a loaner but it seems like its takein for ever. I brought it in on the 3rd of june and still havent got it back. I hope there not driveing it around puting miles on it . I'm stuck with this crappy 2004 hyandi accent. How long have you bein waiting for your car for huges200?
    cmnott....good analogy between the difference between a "sporty car" (Accord Coupe) and a sports car (Mustang GT). As you say, Accord may handle decently, but it's still FWD. That in and of itself will detract from the way it handles. Out of the 350Z/G35c/RX8 triumverate, all of those cars will have a "harder" ride than the Mustang. I do feel the Mustang's ride is a bit on the softer side, but not enough that I'll change anything. Those Eibachs are nice, though.

I've never heard any noise from the shifter boot. But, I treated it with leather conditioner. No noises out of it.

While I've not driven an automatic GT, the manual tranny in the Mustang GT will smoke the tires easily with a little RPM action and a clutch dump. I would imagine the same would be true if you built some RPM with your foot on the brake in the automatic version and then let it rip.
This discussion has been closed.