Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    If you like the Eclipse, get it. Then all you have to do is pray that Mitsu is still doing business in the U.S. 10 years from now to cover your warranty. As it stands, Mitsu is in worse shape than GM and may pull out of the market.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    I cannot believe that I really agree with you, but the advice about the Mitsu that was inquired about is right on dead center. I would be more afraid of that company than any other that I know about. Also, I do thank you for your friendly advice to me about the stang, but I have gone paranoid since the Honda debacle with the alignment problem, and I just do not want to get stuck with another car that cannot be fixed by the dealer. When I traded with Honda I drove my current car 60 miles before I agreed to take it. I have had no trouble of any kind with the second Honda Accord, but it is NOT a car that performs in the manner I would like. It is just reliable and gets good fuel mileage, but it has no excitement. I have had several performance cars in the past and I really do know what to expect from the ride and handling, but I DO NOT want a car with problems. Maybe you are right about most of the new stangs being ok, and only a small percentage of the 05 cars are haveing trouble. I still intend to get a sport or performance car in the future, but I am not in a hurry, and I will wait until next spring to buy.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well, true the caster would have to be out of whack but alignment machines measure caster in fairly small amounts, so it must be important enough. One good pothole can affect caster considerably.
  • wildhorsewildhorse Member Posts: 10
    On the 350z problems...we had it down to the 05 350z and 05 Mustang to choose from. I did some searching on the internet for problems and boy did that open my eyes. So went to a dealership and asked questions about the problems and I got two different stories by two different salesmen. The first one had to leave so handed me over to the second one and I asked the same questions and got way different answers. That told me the issues are not resolved to walk away fast and please never bs me on it mr. salesmen! . It was then we got it down to the Mustang and which one (V8-v6) should we buy. Luckly we were able to finally find one of each to test drive and the v6 convertable had us sold on the Mustang. Then asked the salesman to find us one in the color/package we wanted, within minutes he found one out of state and we drove it home the very next day. :)

I should mention the 350z uses premium gas only and the first salesman told me those tires cost 400$ each! :surprise:
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Another thing that I don't think I mentioned. I get the vibration at 50MPH+ and sometimes when I hit a bump. I'm thinking there's something loose. And I might know what it is, but I'm still open to suggestions.
    If you get a vibration when you hit something, then definitely there is something worn or loose under there. I was experiencing a similar problem on my car, somewhat subtle, but sure enough I just found a worn tie rod after careful checking on the tire rack...
  • msbmustangmsbmustang Member Posts: 1
    chiefmac,

My GT was built in Jan as well and I have the same problem. Your description is exactly what is happening in my Black GT. I have tried hitting the gas just a bit before low speed shifts and that seems to help sometimes but not always. I have 6500 miles on mine. Has anyone else out there experienced this problem? Also I was wondering if an aftermarket shifter would help with this?

I also have a new gas tank which helped a lot with the fill problem but I still have trouble at certain gas stations and have to invert the nozzle to get a full tank. I also had the front end shock mod which did eliminate the front end popping on low speed turns.

By the way "I LOVE THIS CAR". My wife says I spend more time waxing the car than I should! I don't think I spend enough time...on the car!
  • hot_rodhot_rod Member Posts: 13
    I miss my car. Ford has had it a week now and I just found out that they ordered the 2nd fuel sensor/sending unit and the 4th Shaker 500. I hope others are having better luck than I am. If I'm lucky, I might get it back by next weekend.
  • sonicbluechiefsonicbluechief Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mustang GT with 5-speed manual transmission. After driving the car awhile and then parking I am hearing a noise coming from the transmission after I take the car out of gear and let off of the clutch. My friend said it sounded like the throw out bearing. It is also a little difficult to shift, first gear sometimes takes two moves to get it in gear, I can also hear the shifter hitting against the bottom of the console. Car runs fine, no other problems. Just curious, I have been driving an auto for several years and my 88' GT was an auto. I am depressing the clutch fully and sometimes I get drivetrain noise. If anyone has had this problem or has any good information I would greatly appreciate it. :confuse:
    My plan is to get the GT in the spring of 2006. I would advise you against the Mitsu car because I do not think the company is very stable, and you might wind up with an orphan car that would lose a LOT of its value. I have thought about getting the Pontiac Solstice, but I think I will stay with the Mustang GT. I think that the V8 is the way to go as its resale value will probably be much greater percentage wise than the V6. I am just going to wait a while (the spring) to buy the Mustang because I hope Ford will have corrected at least some of the problems that some are having with the 05. Also, I am going with the automatic a silver exterior, and a dark charcoal interior, the spoiler delete option, and the bright wheels along with the interior upgrade pkg. I have looked at the V6 cars without the spoiler, and I think that they look so much cleaner without that wing that I am going to have the spoiler deleted. I have a dealer quote on this car for 26200 plus TTL, and I think that is a fairly good price. This quote is from a dealer with whom I have been dealing for the last 20 years so I do not think that it is ficticious. Best of luck with whatever decision you make.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    There is a product that you spray on the outside of the brake pad itself and it is supposed to significantly help on that high pitched squeal we hear. I have been told that this squeal is from a vibration.
    Second I have a V6 Automatic and I have replaced the stock intake with the MMR High flow intake http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05AirFuel.htm and also the stock exhaust with the Magnaflow custom 05 muffler. Then just add the SCT tune and you have a gain of nearly 32hp and 26 lbs of torque. Plus the Tune does wonders for off the line power on the auto and firms up the shifts. All around good flash for whatever octane you choose. Just thought I'd share. Wish you all luck and safe driving.
    There is a product that you spray on the outside of the brake pad itself and it is supposed to significantly help on that high pitched squeal we hear. I have been told that this squeal is from a vibration.
    Second I have a V6 Automatic and I have replaced the stock intake with the MMR High flow intake http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05AirFuel.htm and also the stock exhaust with the Magnaflow custom 05 muffler. Then just add the SCT tune and you have a gain of nearly 32hp and 26 lbs of torque. Plus the Tune does wonders for off the line power on the auto and firms up the shifts. All around good flash for whatever octane you choose. Just thought I'd share. Wish you all luck and safe driving.
    Bill...I've seen that silver. It's very sharp. It is indeed "very silvery" looking. Looks good with the black interior.

I'd say that some of the early builds....say through February....had some "teething issues". Most, if not all, have been addressed with anything built from March on, though. Will Ford make some other production changes for '06? Probably! But, I don't know that there's much they would change given they are producing 50,000 more Mustangs than they originally projected.

Spoiler/spoiler delete option will cause a debate in and of itself. I like it both ways.

If sales in '05 and orders for the yet to be released '06 are any indication, at least for the GTs, I'd say resale is going to hold well, for at least the next several months. I had a stranger offer me MSRP for mine about a month ago. That was with 2,000 miles on the odo.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    It depends. I picked up my car with the Eibach ProKit and had a vibration. The tire have been rebalanced countless times. I would feel it a 50+mph then it goes away at 53mph. then at 80mph and it goesd away at 83mph.

The thing is it doesn't happen at other times on other stretches of roads at those speeds.

When you lower the suspension, you are going to feel the road more. Simple as that, the car will feel more nervous, edgy but provide much better performance. You have to keep in mind that these suspensions were not designed for the drop, but they do take to it as well with a little trade off.

I have over 2000miles on my lowered GT and wouldn't have it any other way. My thinking is that your radar is on high right now...unless it always vibrates then there may be a probelm, if not, I think just see how thiings settle.
    That's the thing. It doesn't matter what road I'm on, it always vibrates when I reach 50MPH and continues on up. It's not that my "radar is on high," but you can visibly see the steering wheel oscillate back and forth. When I lowered my '99 GT with the Prokit springs, I didn't have a single problem. Didn't even get it realigned.

There is definitely something wrong this time around. Sadly, I think it's the wheels/tires. I will have to make a case with Tire Rack and send them back and wait again for another set. This weekend, I will be putting the stock wheels/tires back on to eliminate the possibility that it's the suspension.
    My dealer had a V6 and a GT on his showroom floor, and I kept looking at them like a startled idiot until I figured out why I liked the V6 better. No spoiler. That was the reason I am going to get the delete option. It looks so much cleaner to me. By the way, what about the price quote for the car mentioned , which may have to change for the 06 if there is a price change, do you think that is a good price? I think I can do a bit better if I wrestle them two out of three falls. Your opinion?
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I agree. Time to shell out the $$ for Hunter 9000 force variation balancing. the better Discount Tires stores have them.
    Bill....V6 Mustangs should be easy to get for $500 over invoice (non verts). GTs are still holding MSRP....either '05s or '06 orders. If I were in your shoes since you're not in a hurry, I'd go to a dealer and ask them to order an '06 with spoiler delete. I don't think '06 pricing is out yet (could be wrong....dealer can tell you). Offer $1,000 off MSRP and settle for anything in between.

An '05 with manual tranny, Shaker 500, IUP, ICAP, Anti-theft is going to run somewhere around $28,500 MSRP. If you can get the '06 for $28K even equipped as above, I think you'll have done good.

Hopefully, the dealer you choose will consider a "pre-sale" of little effort and will make the deal below MSRP. That said, dealers in OH are holding fast to sticker.

Or, as I did, wait until this winter, when there's snow on the ground and coupe sales have stalled, go in and try for an X-plan deal (~$100 below invoice......if you need a pin number, let me know....I might be able to "hook you up"). No one that I'm aware of is doing X plan now, however.

My deal ended up being X plan in February when I ordered. MSRP was $28,080. Purchase price was $25,600.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
  • vppreachervppreacher Member Posts: 72
    "An '05 with manual tranny, Shaker 500, IUP, ICAP, Anti-theft is going to run somewhere around $28,500 MSRP. If you can get the '06 for $28K even equipped as above, I think you'll have done good."

graphicguy, you are right on the money with MSRP. I just picked up my GT on Monday with all those options except ICAP and it was $28,315.00 (price increase). Adding the $175 for ICAP puts it at $28,490.00. I haggled with the dealer and since it was an order they gave it to me with the $500 Ford military discount and without the price increase, so I walked out with it $800 below MSRP.
    Bill,

I have an answer to your question. If you want, send me an email.
    Invoice plus 100 dollars seems like a really good deal to me. My dealer said that the price they quoted for me is 500 dollars over invoice. I like your deal better. I am going to give it a try. I will let you know what they say.
  • mrq0529mrq0529 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 05 GT conv. I think with the same problem. It has been at the dealer for a week. They did find a cowl leak, fixed that, now we are waiting for the electrical part that the leak shorted out. What did they do to fix your car and were you satisfied when they got finished ?
  • gregb3gregb3 Member Posts: 1
    i have rented 3 different 2005 Mustangs over the past 3 months and all 3 have had the fueling problem where the pump cuts off. You have to keep working the nozzel and it can take 30 tries to only get a few gallons of gas in the tank. A major problem.
    Good news! My dealer was able to get rid of the vibration, for the most part. Now there is a very, very slight vibration. The guy I talked to the last time at the dealership didn't know what he was talking about. My normal service writer got them to square me away. He wanted me to give him a call if there was still any vibration. I'll let him know, but I'll wait a while before taking it back in. The vibration was so bad that I might have some cupping on the tires that needs to wear in before it goes totally smooth again.

And my gas tank and brake fluid reservoir are on order.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    What the heck did they do? Was it just a bad install?

Like I said, there will be more vibrations because the car as a whole is more sensitive. This morning, I went through a stretch of road with the cruise on a 90km/h. The car vibrates on one stretch, then nothing on another stretch.

I am very impressed with the ride overall. I kinda think it should have came this way, but it may be a little much for many out there! I found the stock GT felt too much like a sedan to me, now it feels more angry, like someone who didn't have their morning coffee!

My next mod is a 4.10 gear. Possibley exhaust as well.
    All they did, as far as I know, was rebalance the tires (guess third time was a charm). My service writer told me they have a machine that can check the roundness of wheels/tires. He didn't say if I had one out of round or not. He just said that the tech was able to get them balanced out, which he did for the most part.

However, I think you're confusing feeling vibrations with simply having more road feel after installing performance springs. I installed a set of Prokit springs on my '99 GT and the only thing I felt was a tighter, more responsive ride. There were no vibrations then and there should be no vibrations now. Vibration is not the same as road feel.
    "...they have a machine that can check the roundness..."

Probably this one.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=40
    Even better news! I just got off the horn with Tire Rack and they are going to refund the cost of the two balancing jobs I had to have done! That's great news!
  • putangloverputanglover Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 6 cyl, midnight black, 5 speed. All I can say is SCHWEEET. Of course, would have liked the 8 cyl but no patience to wait. Anyway, I hear a "clunking" sound sometimes as I release the clutch, an occasional sound. Yes, my primary car is a 5 speed as well, so I know how to use a manual transmission. Sounded like the transmission? It is infrequent, so I'll wait until I get a few K miles on it to take it back unless you all have heard the noise and know what it is.
    Also, anyone put on flowmasters?
  • putangloverputanglover Member Posts: 3
    Too bad for you. I took delivery of my 6 cyl, 5 speed, midnight black convertible. All I can say is SCHWEET. Had it for 1 month and haven't even put the top up. This isn't our primary car, but our weekend car. You don't by a mustang for its great engineering or because it is a FORD, you buy a Mustang because it is a Mustang. If you don't have the emotions for a Mustang be happy with an accord.
  • jhipsterjhipster Member Posts: 6
    If you are serious about get rid of brake squeal noise, go buy cearamic raybestos pads. They are great.
    Does any one have a solution to to my howling sound at 40 mph to 60 mph on my 05 gt auto mustang . my dealership has given up.
    THANKS JHIPSTER
    I put on the Magnaflow stainless steel and it sounds and looks great. Pretty slight performance gain, maybe 2 or 4 hp. I have heard the catback systems for the V6 are pretty much pointless besides the looks. The stock piping is big enough. The Magnaflow sound is more refined and less noisy especially on the highway. It gets really annoying to have your trunk turn into almost a speaker box with all the resonation from a loud muffler. If anything go for the MMR Intake and SCT tune.
    tanglover.....Actually, one of my buying criteria was the Mustang had to be built well. Mine is. But, I do agree.....you buy it because it's the best Mustang ever designed and made. Plus, it's performance is just thrilling. It's comfortable. And, even after I've had it for several months, it still gathers a crowd wherever I go.
    Good deal. I've always heard that TIRE RACK was good. Although, I've never done business with them, it's good to hear their reputation is intact. :shades:
  • mitcharonmitcharon Member Posts: 1
    If you remove the gas cap as soon as you enter the gas station to let the tank "vent", you will not have the fueling problem. It seems like there is pressure in the tank that causes the fuel pump to shut off. Once the pressure is diminished the pump will not shut off. I discovered this by accident and I no longer have the fuel pump problem. I usually let the tank vent for about 30 seconds, while I'm processing my credit card.
    That's exactly the way I do it. I remove the gas cap. "Swipe" my debit card and wait for authorization. By the time that's finished, I pump my gas with no issues whatsoever.
  • chiefmacchiefmac Member Posts: 10
    msbmustang

Good to know I am not alone. I have an appt. at my dealer tomorrow concerning this.

I experimented today and found that I have been driving with the traction control system ON since I took delivery. I turned it OFF and the clunking and slop in the drivetrain went away completely. Possibly the TAC system is only to be used as needed? We have no snow, ice, or gravel roads here so what do I know! I'll see what the dealer says. You might check your performance with, and without TAC. :shades:
  • gtvehiclesgtvehicles Member Posts: 3
    We have shipped a 2005 Mustang V8 auto overseas and now the trade/client is reporting: fuel injection system has malfunctioned and caused the engine to seize - too much fuel has been pumped into number 6 cylinder.

If there are any such known problems it would be very helpful for me to advised.
    Hmmmmm.....I can see where that would cause flooding, but seizing the engine? THe only things I could see seizing the engine would be over reving (but the computer whould hav keptthat from happening), no oil in the crankase, or continuing to run the enigne if it's running too hot.

I get a sneaky suspicion there's something here your client isn't telling you.
    I agree, a most dubious diagnosis....severe oil dilution can cause a seizure, but really, the engine would be running so badly beforehand, and the oil pressure light would be on, and fuel mileage would be horrendous. Sounds like somebody asleep at the wheel.

You need more facts, definitely. Was the oil level checked just after seizure (it should register quite overfull--extremely so). Are there pictures of the seized cylinder (color photos)? If the engine hasn't even been torn down yet, then nobody really knows anything.
  • hughes200hughes200 Member Posts: 7
    I think I've isolated the passenger side rattle to the triangle are by the window and dash. Has anyone had that repaired yet by a dealer?

Also, the hesitation when stepping on the accelerator continues to be a problem. It almost caused me to get into a collision. Any one have any updates on that issue?
  • chiefmacchiefmac Member Posts: 10
    Took the vehicle to the dealer on Thurs. The service tech drove with me and agreed the slop in the drive train and the thunks while the TCS was on didn't seem right. He said they would check it out. Later in the day he called to tell me an employee had damaged a rear quarter panel by hitting it with another car. Large gouge about 2ft long under the gas filler door. It is now in his bodyshop.

No resolution to my problem until the bodywork is done I guess. Pending :sick:
  • hdfxrhdfxr Member Posts: 6
    I just bought my Mustang a couple months ago and noticed the same thing at some of the gas stations I've used since the purchase. The solution is not to push the pump nozzle all the way into the gas tank tube. There must be a difference the angle of the typical gas pump nozzle and that of the tube that causes the pressure sensor in the nozzle to kick off. Put the nozzle in and back it out an inch. This relieves the restriction.
    I bought my 2005 Mustang in April and noticed the same popping noise in the front end when backing up out of my driveway at the point I begin to turn out onto the street. I use to own a Cougar that had the upper control arms replaced after 9 years on the road. Driving it after I picked it up from my mechanic I noticed the same popping noise in the front end in turns. I took it back and they tighten down the bolts on the bushing clamp. Fixed the problem. I've got my Mustang at the dealership now to fix this problem and hopefully it's as easy as the problem with the Cougar.
    Just this morning I had the same complete electrical failure, but fortunately in my garage. It'd ran fine yesterday, but wouldn't turn over this morning. Checked the battery and it had a full charge. I have the 05 V6 with the interior upgrade package including the message center. It's diagnostic message said "Check Charging System". I had it towed to the dealership for them to figure out what is the problem. Here in Florida we've been having a tremendous amount of rain in the last month or so and I'm now wondering if a water leak has shorted out a relay or something based upon some of the responses you have received to your posting on April 12, 2005. Has your dealership come up with a solution? I'd be interested in finding out the solution so I can tell my dealer.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    if it were me, i would press them to conceed a free extended warranty to you following the fix, and their body work guarenteed for the life of the vehicle. either that or another vehicle. hopefully they put you in another ride at absolutely no cost to you.
    I am approaching my first oil change in my V6 and I had purchased a case of Mobile One Super Syn and I plan and using synthetic from this point on. Does anyone have any information or opinion on why I should not. I know from the factory the GT's have synthetic in them but the V6's don't. The only information I have heard about not using synthetic is from a Ford performance specialist and it had to do with the Taurus SHO's and something to do with eating away at cam lobes. Anyway would love any advice.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Ford recommends a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic for use in the Mustang.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    you buy a Mustang because it is a Mustang. If you don't have the emotions for a Mustang be happy with an accord.

LOL :P
    What kind of emotions must one possess to have a Mustang? Where did you get your degree in psychoanalysis? Just wondering.
This discussion has been closed.