Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Let's be honest, these are not reliable cars so you must have a love of Mustangs to buy one. :P
  • golfnut7golfnut7 Member Posts: 34
    We just got my daughter a black '05 Mustang and I rode with her last night for the first time at night. On low beams, the head lights were set so low she was over driving her lights at 35 mph. I looked but couldn't see and easy adjustment. Does anyone know how to adjust the elevation of the head lights or should I just take it back to the dealership? Normally dealerships don't want to adjust the factory settings on head lights.
  • mustangsally3mustangsally3 Member Posts: 18
    There's a technical bullentin out on the front end noise. The Ford dealerships have it...parts need to be replaced not just tightened down, thought you might want to know. I just had mine fixed about 3 weeks ago. It took them over 3 weeks to get the parts in.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Not reliable? Mine has been one of the best new car purchases I've ever made.....Zero problems since I drove it off the dealer's lot. I don't know of many (except a few posters here at Edmunds and some on other Mustang boards who had fuel fill and stereo issues from early builds) who have had any issues, at all.

Certainly understand if you're not a Ford or Mustang fan, but Ford did their homework (and engineering work) on this one. All 190,000 '05 owners can't be wrong.

While I don't know what the definition of a Mustang owner is, I've seen young and old, male and female fall all over themselves regarding this car. I still can't go to the grocery, gas station, even a stop light, without getting comments and answering questions.

Now, if I could just find a way to keep fingerprints off the car and noseprints off the glass, I'll be happy.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Look deeper behind the headlights. There is a large Phillips-head screw down there to adjust the headlights. That was one thing I noticed the first time I drove my GT at night on a dark road. The lights were so low that it seemed like I was overdriving them at 45MPH. I gave them about 1.5 turns up and now they're fine.
    American cars have improved reliability significantly over the last 20 years, I agree.

Now, if I could just find a way to keep fingerprints off the car and noseprints off the glass, I'll be happy.

LOL :P
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    My 99 GT was perfectly reliable, requiring only oil and gas.

With my new GT, there were some stumbles at first, with the gas tank issue and a rattle on my passenger side dash, but that is it.

I am having much more fun with this car than my 99, that's for sure.

Mustang owners will always be more tolerant with little niggles because they are in love with the car. When an Accord breaks, it is the end of the worl because people are expecting an appliance on wheels, no hassles.

Guys with Bimmers, Benzes, Audis and yes, Mustangs, will put up with more because they really enjoy their car.

Can you imagine an Accord owner suffering the gas tank issue? They would probably request a refund or go to the newspapers with a page 1 story! :P
    Most reliable car I ever had was a '69 390 Stang, and it was a big, beutiful car!!! :P
  • theshadowtheshadow Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I'm new to the board. I'm impressed with the levels of discussion and info here on our 05 Mustangs so, I decided to join.

I have an 05 GT with an Automatic Trans. The car is 3 months old and has 967 miles on it and is basically a weekend driver. Last saturday, I backed it out of the gargae for a bath only to find a 3 inch diameter puddle of tranny fluid on my new RaceDeck garage floor, and after jacking it up and looking at the underside, the entire bell housing is red and covered in fluid. There is NO fluid forward of the bell housing so I know it's not power steering fluid "blown" back. Took it to the dealer immediately and they called this morning. They said they have no idea what's causing the leak and that they have to pull the tranny today and get into it to root out the problem.

Anyone else heard of this problem or anything similar?
  • pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    My dealer told me that the noise on my car was from the IUP aluminum panels on the airbag rubbing against each other. They removed the airbag, installed some foam and reinstalled the airbag making sure to center it properly. It helped, but occasionaly I hear the noise. I think it is the hvac dusts behind the vent. They tell me no. Problem is I now have a Bassani full exhaust with Ford Racing headers and there are a lot of new rattles ;)
    Stanford :P
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    OK, good school, but I did not know they had an advanced program in Psychology, however you are sure right about these cars not being reliable, in spite of Graphic guys perfect car., Ford would not get my money at all. The more I think about it the less I am interested. I think a Japanese car is in the cards for me. G 35 coupe, Miata, or possibly a S2000 Honda. I give up on Ford.
    You're all over the map, aren't you, snaker?

First you don't like your Accord because of front end problems (slammed it repeatedly in the Accord forums and bought back by Honda), then you slam the Mustang as riding too hard and being too loud, then slam it as being unreliable because of a dozen people who logged a concern.

As I did before (and I do this in a friendly manner), I recommend you DON'T buy a Mustang. You would be the first person that I'd try to steer away from the Mustang.

Stick with your Accord, or buy the Miata, or buy the S2000.. Those are fine choices. I'm afraid the G35c is going to ride to rough for your tastes, though. The Miata is going to be marginal from what I can gather as your "ride" preference. The S2000 is going to ride worse than the Mustang, however.
    I am sure the new Mustangs are more reliable than the old ones, most cars are. The best car I ever had was a '69 Mustang fastback, it was so cool. And I have owned a lot of cars. Great speakers.
    Outside of a rare (very) brake failure I had with a just purchased Tacoma, nothing I've owned over the past several years, regardless of manufacturer, has been less than sterling in reliability and build quality.

The art of building cars has exceeded even my lofty expectations. It's very difficult to buy a poorly built (or even mediocre built) new car (well, maybe with the exception of KIA).

My son has a Hyundai Elantra that's 3 years old. Outside of oil changes and tire rotations, it's never been back to the dealer for anything. Over the last 10 years, either my personal experience, or the experience of family and friends, would give me pause to buy any make or model based on build or reliability concerns. That covers, Chevys, Fords, Toyotas, BMWs, Mazdas, Jeeps, Minis and Hyundais.

Bet you wish you still had that '69 Mustang back..... :shades:
    Bet you wish you still had that '69 Mustang back

You know it!!! :cry: I knew I made a mistake the same day I sold it.
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    Perhaps you did not read this entire thread. There seems to be a lot more trouble than kudos. I just want to buy a car that will not strand me on some dark road in the middle of nowhere. All other concerns about reliability are somewhat minor, but when a lot of people (on this thread) have so many problems, something is wrong. I just do not want to waste my cash on cars that are not right in the first place and are put on the market for the customer to act as a tester to help the Mfg get rid of all the bugs they should have corrected in the first place. When I spend 30 large plus, I want to get value for my money. The old saw, a fool and his money are soon parted is really true in the automotive world, and one reaches the point of diminishing returns very quickly when your car dont work right and most of the time is spent at the dealers trying to get this thing fixed. I am tired of spending my money on cars that have problems, and that is why I am trying to prevent getting cheated again. I will look at cars until I find a good one. Surely one exists.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Perhaps you did not read this entire thread. There seems to be a lot more trouble than kudos."

Um, this IS the Mustang Problems and Solutions thread, isn't it? I don't know how many folks with zero unsolvable problems would be hanging out, randomly sending out posts with nothing but kudos for the Mustang. I guess the "Honda Accord: Problems and Solutions" thread is filled with people saying "nope, no problems here".

"I am tired of spending my money on cars that have problems, and that is why I am trying to prevent getting cheated again. I will look at cars until I find a good one. Surely one exists."

Any and every make and model of car sold on the market today can potentially have 'problems'. The question then becomes how many 'problems' (and of what nature) are acceptable? I don't want to aim this comment at you personally, but I'm under the impression that as the general quality of autos has increased over the years, buyers are less and less willing to put up with any, ANY minor little idiosyncracies in their new car.

You need to realize that the Mustang is in the first year of production for a brand new car; demand has been overwhelming so they've had to quickly ramp up production; AND (most importantly) virtually NONE of the problems noted here would in any manner leave you stranded on some dark road in the middle of nowhere. I think I remember two occurances of complete electrical failure which has been attributed to moisture somehow getting into the system. I invite you to peruse ANY other 'problems and solutions' board here on Edmunds and find one with ZERO instances where a car left the owner stranded.

As far as I can tell, most of the problems with the Mustang are due to minor squeeks/rattles, gas tank filling issues, radio problems, and unexplained thunks in the drivetrain. I also get the impression that while posters are a bit annoyed with the problem (and/or the dealer's response to the problem), that generally folks with the problems are still overwhelmingly happy with their Mustang.
    snaker....A Honda or Toyota have reputations as having little in the way of issues. But, they do exist, as you've found out with your Accord.

I just had a brake issue with a newly purchased Tacoma. I wouldn't even think of indicting all Tacomas because mine had the issue (although, it was a serious one). Matter of fact, after the dealership took it back with less than 200 miles on the odometer, I turned right around and bought another Toyota.

Cars/trucks are complex mechanical machines that are expected to run in hot, cold, wet, snow and they are expected to do so safely. Add to that, it sounds like you want a high performance vehicle, to boot. So, just multiply the stresses and strains many times those of a more "run of the mill" car and you begin to understand that there is no such thing as the perfect vehicle, regardless of model or price.

As rorr points out, you are in the "Problems and Solutions" thread. That's all you're going to hear about.

Most cars today are about as trouble free as they've ever been. Does that mean there won't be someone who has a complaint? Look at any brand or model here at Edmunds. They all have their quirks and complaints.

Since you said you test drove a Mustang and found it to ride harsh and be loud, it wasn't you're cup of tea. That's the entire reason I warned you off the Mustang. It's a high performance, "in your face" car that handles very well, is hellaciously fast, with a burbly exhaust (I happen to love the sounds it makes and the ride it offers) and a firm ride. It's built very well and has all the comfort you could ask for, IF (Big, bold IF) you understand what you are buying. Matter of fact, any of the cars you're looking at are going to be louder and stiffer than your Accord. They are also going to be much faster and handle much better.

You've mentioned some you are looking at. I've always been a sports car fan and have either owned or test driven many. The Miata is a good one. It handles great, is quick, but you're going to not like the ride (since that seems to be something you're sensitive to). The G35c rides better, handles nicely, but still rides stiffly. The S2000 handles great, is quick, but you're going to have to wind it out into the upper reaches of the RPM band to get that power. Plus, it will be loud and stiff.

All of them will be just as reliable and well built as the Mustang, but they will also have their own quirks and there will be no guarantees any of them will be free from complaint (as you'll see if you venture over to their "problems & solutions" threads.

None of them will be any better or worse regaridng reliablity by any noticeable amount than your Accord. That's why I say, keep your Accord. It's a good car and it sounds like it fits what you're looking for better than anything else.
  • tazs05mustangtazs05mustang Member Posts: 11
    1.Gas tank issue.
    2.Brake fluid reservoir leaking on the plastic that holds the brake fluid.
    3.Brakes squeaking a bit.
    4.When from park to reverse or drive on my automatic shifter it makes a clunk sound.
    5.When taken off on freeway sounded like gears were shifting different from when I bought it
    6.Whineing siren noise come in from back when I accelerate on freeway.
    ..........................................................................................- ...........................
    (Know I have to take it in again for these other problems)
    1.oil cap has being off since i got it back from the shop on the 21st they for got to but it back on and I noticed it yesterday and I have bein drive in alot with it off can that mess your engine up any ????
    2.brake fluid master cylinder still leaking .
    3.mufflers back fire when i rev it up .
    4.mufflers make cracking sound after I turn off Car after i drive it for like a half hour
    5.like a computer engine plug unplugged its by the brake fluid resivor.
    6.shaker 500 skips with new c d's
    7.after i started up the car their was a constant clicking noise .
    ..........................................................................................- ...........
    GET IN IT TOWD TO SHOP 2MARROW IF ANYBODY HAS HAD THESE PROBLEMS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I AM GETIN TO THINK THESE NEW MUSTANGS ARE :lemon: this will be the third time it has bein back to the dealership :cry: anyway's please respond if you have any info on any of these problems thank you very much take care everyone.

they told me from park to reverse clunking noise was the transmission. So they told me they adjusted the gears and trans but i got it back and it still sounds like it does it :mad: if any but got told elese please let me know thank you
    page 11 you asked what car i owned prior to my current mustang it was a 1995 chevy impala ss that halled [non-permissible content removed], but threw out my familys generations they have owned mustangs so they have bein in the family .
    I alluded to what some perceive as issues with the Mustang, when in reality, that's the way the car is supposed to be.

Case in point, you mention the car backfiring. First, it's not backfiring. The exhaust was tuned to give you a few "pops". To me, it's automotive music. When you shut your car down, it's not unusual to here a few cracks from the exhaust as heat dissipates...simple physics.

Couple of questions, if the oil cap was off, why didn't you just put it back on? Why schedule a service visit for something that would take you less than 5 seconds to do?

Gear whine is another "trait" of a performance car. You probably notice it more since you seem very sensitive to it in this particular car. Another case in point, before I bought the Mustang, I test drove a couple of GTOs. Gear whine was present there, but much more muffled. My guess is GM added some sound deadener to make it less noticeable (and added weight), but it was still there. Can't comment on the "clunk". Don't know what you're hearing.

What makes you think your master cylinder is leaking? Is there less fluid in it? Or, is there just some residue around the cap that makes you "think" it's leaking? Do the brakes operate OK? IF you've got IUP option, you can do a total "system check" via the on board computer display. What does that say?

Shaker 500 seems to be more sensitive to "burned" CDs. Unless you are using good quality CDs and high quality burning software and CD burning hardware, you MIGHT have some issues with skipping and errors (the errors are going to be there on any burned CD, good burning software will eliminate most, though....I use ROXIO, which does a fine job).

Slow fuel can be addressed by letting the tank "breathe" if you wait a minute or two after you take the gas cap off before refueling.

Why are you having the car towed?
  • hot_rodhot_rod Member Posts: 13
    I've had my gas tank replaced, fuel sending unit/senor replaced twice and now I'm waiting for the 4th radio to come in for them to install it. I've seen some comments that were said that the mustangs that were built first has some problems and I can agree with that, considering mine was built in Oct 04. I was given a Chevy Malibu to drive for 1 1/2 weeks when they were trying to fix my car for the um-teenth time, and I can tell you, I really missed my car. Makes you feel bad when you are driving a Chevy POS and you see others driving a mustang like yours. But anyways, so far so good on the fuel gage reading correctly and the gas tank issue. Now if they can install the 4th Shaker 500 and it actually works (on other radios - lights didn't work, speed volume didn't work and current radio won't even load a CD) I'll be doing good. Other than that I haven't had any other problems.....So far.
    taz, most of that next set of "problems" you listed aren't problems at all.
    1. Oil cap off? So what??! Put it back on! That's not the car's fault.
    3. Mufflers "backfire?" The exhaust was designed to do just that.
    4. "Mufflers" making cracking sound? It's not the mufflers, it's the heatshields around the catalytic converters cooling off. All modern cars do that, and have been since the '80s. Some do it more than others, but it is totally normal.
    5. "Computer engine plug." I just checked mine. That plug should be plugged into your brake fluid reservoir. That is not the car's fault. It's your service department's fault and this and #2 are no doubt related. You should be getting a break fluid fault light on your dash. Go plug the thing back in and it just might take care of #2.
    7. Clicking noise after starting the car. That could be anything. It could be the hydraulic valve lifters. Check your oil level. I'm betting that it's just your fuel injectors.

You've become so sensitized by those very minor problems you had initially that you've become hypersensitive to even NORMAL sounds/behavior. A Monte Carlo is NOTHING like a Mustang so you shouldn't be expecting a Mustang to behave the same as your Monte Carlo. Even if it was an SS version, your Monte was still just a family coupe. The Mustang is a sports coupe with more in common with a full fledge sports car than a family sedan, as is the case with your Monte.

graphicguy,
    he said he was having skipping with "new" cds, not burned ones. I, too, get the occasional skip with brand new discs. I don't worry about it since I prefer listening to my GT's rumbling exhaust more than listening to the radio. Besides, I'm so spoiled with listening to Sirius that I hate listening to regular radio with all it's static and commercials.
    Your solution for the slow gas tank is simply unacceptable. Yes, it's viable, but it's impractical. It just needs to be fixed. I have that problem, too, and it's aggravating to have to use a special technique just to fill my tank.

Granted, most of tazs' gripes are petty (some he could even fix himself), but don't take away from his legitimate ones.
    I'm thinking there was nothing wrong with your other radios that the lights didn't work on. And there's probably nothing wrong with the current one. When you have the radio replaced, it's not just a take-one-out-put-another-one-in thing. The new one has to be programmed. Why? I don't know. But it has to be reprogrammed so the lights and stuff will work. That may be some kind of system Ford put in place to recognize a stolen unit.
    Truthfully, I don't dismiss anything. But, what I've found (particularly in this case) is that some are looking for problems that really aren't problems at all.

New CDs, I assumed were ones that are freshly burned (since that's the majority of the ones in my changer). I didn't think that they were commercial ones bought from a store. I've never had a commecial CD skip. I have had burned ones skip on occasion, but after I started using Memorex blanks and Roxio to burn MP3s, I've had no issues at all. The Shaker seems to be particularly sensitive to the media used and the software used for burning.

The "pop" from the exhaust? What those folks don't realize, this is something that is by design. I love that sound.

As you say, "oil cap off"? Put it back on. No need for a service call. Unplugged from the brake resovoir? Plug it back in. Again, no need for a service call. Clicking exhaust? Normal....on just about every car I've had in the last 10 years in varrying degrees. As you say, it's probably the heat shields dissipating heat.

While I know some have had the "slow fuel fill", I've experienced that with other vehicles. It seems to be more pump dependent than anything else, from my experience. If it's happening all the time, at a variety of stations, then yes, take it in to have the TSB done. I've found that once you let the gas tank "vent" a bit before refueling, those problems go away, however. I had my Mustang experience it once in the last 3 months of ownership. But, that was when I took the gas cap off and immediately started refueling. Since I usually wait a minute or two after I remove the gas cap before putting the nozzle in, it's never happened again....even at the station I originally thought was the culprit.

I guess seeing that the car needs to be towed in, I have to wonder why? Most of the issues, aren't issues at all. And those that could be legitimate, have TSBs on them. None of them make the car undriveable so you have to have it towed. Kind of making mountains out of mole hills.

If the guy doesn't like his Mustang (and it sounds like he doesn't), sell it. There are bunches of people that want one and can't get one. I'd make a bet he could sell it within $500 of what he paid for it, if it's in new condition and he didn't pay over MSRP. Maybe even sell it for exactly what he paid for it. I'll assume it has tiny miles on it since he's in the service bay so much.

As you can tell, I do get frustrated when folks blame the car for bad service depts (find a different one) or a lack of understanding what it is they bought. Then calling it a lemon.

Ford will end up selling 190,000 '05 Mustangs when all is said and done. I personally know 4-5 other '05 owners. All except for one, are extremely happy with our cars. The one that's not happy, is an older lady who thinks the backpressure "pop" means her car needs a tune-up. No matter how many times I tried to explain to her that it's normal, she refuses to listen. Consequently, she's been in the service dept 5 times in the last 6 weeks. She's had new plugs and new wires put in it at Ford's expense....still not happy. She's frustrating herself and the service dept.
    She's had new plugs and new wires put in it at Ford's expense...

What wires did she get changed? The Mustang doesn't have spark plug wires, at least not the GT.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "The Mustang doesn't have spark plug wires, at least not the GT."

Hmmmmm, how do we know the dealership did anything at all? Is it possible that EVERYONE has tried to tell her the sound was normal, but when she insisted that they 'tune-up' her car, they SAID they would replace the plugs/wires just to 'prove' that wasn't the 'problem'?

gguy - Have you tried showing her the exact same backpressure 'pop' in your GT to show her it was normal?
    That's what I suspect they've done. One thing I wonder is why they haven't told her the classic "They all do that." Only in this case, it would be true.
    Tried to tell her the same thing....no plug wires. But, she insisted that's what the dealer did. Who knows if they did anything at all. I think she's been listening to way too many of her "Saturday bridge cronies" on what the dealer did.

I did, indeed, let her listen to my exhaust. She said it must be a chronic problem with ALL MUSTANGS, since mine did it too.

That's what gets me so frustrated. No matter how you try to 'splain things, some people just refuse to believe that there is no problem. This is the same lady, by the way, that was coming from a Solara. She said that her Toyota never made those kinds of sounds.....well, "duh"!

Same goes for the guy that had the Impala SS. No doubt those cars had their own following, but they had floppy, mushy suspensions, rickety build that squeaked and rattled their way down the road. Nowhere near the performance of the Mustang GT and weren't built nearly as well. They were relatively quiet vehicles, too (with all the weight and sound deadening, they better be quiet). Still, since the General decided to "Ax" it just when it was getting good, they are thought of as somewhat of a "cult" car.

That's not the Mustang, though. By design, you're going to hear the exhaust. You will hear some gear whine. That's part of the mechanical allure of it.

When I had my deaparted and much loved RX8, I heard some of the same things. People complained that they could hear the car's mechanicals. Again, with a 9K redline, I sure wanted to hear that. That was part of it's allure, too.
    If you don't want to hear anything buy a Camry. A Mustang GT explodes with cool sounds, like I said, if you don't like that, buy 210 hp Camry. :P
  • jhipsterjhipster Member Posts: 6
    I have got my gas tank and front end brackets replaced, this has resolved gas filling and front end popping sounds problems.
    The whineing from the rear of the car between 40 mph and 60 mph when decelarating is still there. Even though a new crown and pinion was replaced.
    I am starting to wonder if some of the people who are writing into this chat forum are ford representives or paid by ford to defend the 05 mustang reliability reputation.
    When i pay out 30000 dollars i want quality. AS FAR AS IAM CONCERN IAM NOT GETING IT.
    Please let me know if any one resolves there whineing issue
    thanks jhipster
    I am sure car companies have people here hyping thier cars, that's why I use Consumer Reports for all my research. CR is non-profit which means it does not take advertising money from car companies. Additionally, I have posted here that my first Mustang fell completely apart in 3 years, including the transmission. So I am no Ford Shill. If you pay 30k for a car, you deserve qualtiy. :cry:

But I love the look and power of the new GT.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    I would just like to mention that I have had my 05 V6 for about 3 months now and am very pleased and love the ride and power. It's not the V8 but I put an intake, tune and Magnaflow on it and it will outrun a good amount of cars out there. Sure the shaker 500 will skip a little every once in a while on a burned cd and I am fixing one TSB on it, the random popping from the front end on slow turns but overall it's a fantastic car. You should see it riding on 20" chrome rims, oh it's lovely. I'm sure the 2006 models will have a few of these bugs most of us have experienced worked out but I would say that a vast majority would not trade their car back in if they could. I know I wouldn't. I do recommend the SCT tune to all of you out there, it's a wonderful little mod.

Daniel
    http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/25334/cat/500/ppuser/23762
    Go check out how it looks on 20's
    Great looking car!!! :shades:
  • wildhorsewildhorse Member Posts: 10
    we got to test drive a 05 GT and a 05 V6 convertible before we decided on what we wanted. We found the GT to be "LOUD" with that engine roar and the V6 was quieter even with a convertible top. . We also found the GT had a stiffer suspension than the V6. These two basic things turned us to the v6 as the Mustang type we wanted. Ford must be catching up with their 05 inventory. I saw alot of them now at our local dealers in their inventory lists online. No..I haven't been to the lots to see if they are still flying off the lots as fast as they had been. I wonder now if the 06 v6 is going to be stiffer suspesion as I understand they are making something simular to what the GT has?
  • gtogmgtogm Member Posts: 31
    Consumer Reports/car testers iare very BIASED against American cars, as are other magazines. They don't have much credibility. I get a laugh out of reading CR for free from a freind that gets it.
    Lets be subjective here, the Impala SS did not have rickety build or squeak and rattle down the road as you claim. Build quality was just as good as 1994 to 1996 Ford Full sized cars! Many police were annoyed when they had to go the Crown Vic squad car, slower and less performance then their Caprices... 260hp vs 210hp, big dif. Impala was cancelled to make more production for trucks and SUV's, GM's and Ford's most profitable vehicles.

I would hope a 2005 Mustang has a better build quality then a 1996 Impala !! Mustangs were never known for their build quality.
    My opinion and 2 cents, but After you put all this money into a V6 mustang, tune, intake, magnaflow, 20" rims etc, you could have almost just bought the real deal, the V8 Mustang. I would rather have a base V8 Stang then a tarted up V6 one. To each their own.
    So it's suppoed to be hard to refuel, Or have a radio/CD player that works, or be clunk free from R to D or no popping sounds front end in a NEARLY $30k car?? I don't even except that on a 5 yr old used car, let alone a new one. Many of these problems have TSB on them so Ford knows there is issues. Probably mostly on the early build 2005's. As they say, NEVER buy a 1st year, car, esp. American.

The Mustang just like all new cars has it problems, it's not perfect like you make it out to be!
    Actually when there is a recall or problem with a GM or Ford car it makes the front pages-headlines. But when Honda-Toyota have a recall or problem it makes the back pages in small print, if it even makes the newspaper at all.

I agree a Mustang, Camaro, Vette, GTO etc owner will put up with more because they enjoy their car.
    Actually Ford did NOT fully do their engineering work on 2005 Mustang. Thats embarrassing when you can't even put gas in a 2005 car or get sounds from front suspension, or thunks shifting from Park to Drive on Auto tranny. Most of these problems have TSB on them. It's more then just ONE person, Gguy. I'm sure the majority are ok though.

All 400,000+ Mustang or 300,000+ Taurus owners can't be wrong either, right?

Hopefully this isn't another, my car sells better so it's better car argument again !!
    Most of the issues, aren't issues at all. And those that could be legitimate, have TSBs on them

How do you know they aren't issues? Not being able to REFUEL your $30k 2005 car would be a MAJOR CONCERN and ISSUE to me !! You make so many excuses for the '05 Mustang. Are you sure your not a Ford Employee or being paid by them to promote this car? Then you cover up the issues saying there is a TSB. That means it's an issue that the MFG is aware of. Yes some people do make mountains ouf of mole hills, over-exaggerate etc. But most have a legiimate complaint. And now it's the service dept, not being good and the car is fine? The person wouldn't have brought it in if the car didn't have a problem, now would they?

You crack me up. I have never seen someone defend a car so much.
    Let me go check my mailbox and see if there's a check from Ford waiting for me.

Nope....nothing there.

Hmmmm....does your user name have anything to do with your protests?

In all seriousness, if someone is unhappy with their Mustang GT, then sell it. There are so many people who want one and can't get one, the cars are selling for crazy money, even used.

I do believe some bought the Mustang based on the looks, alone. Once they live with it for a while, they realize they've got themselves and out and out modern day hotrod, when what they were really expecting was something a lot more tame.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Actually considering I paid under invoice for my V6 and the GT's were selling in my area of as much as 3 grand over MSRP I saved a ton. Now my mods did cost me about 3 grand but factor in fuel, insurance and a 30K+ price tag on a GT the cost difference was pretty big. You know what would be interesting to see is when the Vortech super-charger for the V6 comes out I have heard it will add as much as 150 hp, wonder if it would be faster then the stock GT? Would be interesting to see.

Daniel :D
    There is a reason CR slams American cars, they are not as reliable as Japanese cars. They also slam German cars because of poor reliability, CR does not recommend the 5 or 7 series BMW for the same reason and they also slam MB. So don't give us the BS they hate American cars, just because they are American. I posted elsewhere that I think American car companies are run by MBA yuppies, and not engineers, and Japanese car companies are run by engineers.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    What us the point that you are trying to prove?

gtogm, sounds like you may be a gto fan? Good for you.

The reason why gguy is defending his car is that he loves it, as I do mine. if I bought a Honda and needed a gas tank to be changed, I would want my money back, because appliances are supposed to run trouble free.

If you are waiting for a Mustang GT owner to poo-poo his car, dream on. Most will put up with some teething issues if they enjoy their vehicle.

By the way, you can refuel, it just takes a very long time. Get your facts straight. Many first year crs have teething problems, whether Japanese, Euro or American. To single out the Mustang is unfair.

The Mustang does not have the problems of an X5, Toyota Camry or Volkswagen Passat. Let's keep the problems into perspective.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This forum is for Mustang Owners to discuss Problems and Solutions. It's not for model comparisons to other cars, so please post those types of comments in one of the forums that invite comparative posting on different models.

If you don't own a Mustang or didn't own one recently, you really shouldn't be posting here---wrong place.

Thanks!

MrShftright
    Host
    Never needed to defend the Mustang. We already know what it is and what it can do.

Anyway.....Just saw the most recent MT....Charger and Mustang GT on the cover. Of course, they're trying to "replay" the famous scene in Bullitt. Not an "apples to apples" comparison today since the Charger is an automatic, 4-door....but interesting, nonetheless.

As Shifty says, since this is a Mustang forum, I'll limit myself to what MT said about it....

"The more we drive the Mustang GT, the more we love it. There's an....honesty and integrity to this car that goes way beyond retrostyling. It goes hard, sounds awsome and doesn't cost a bundle. And that's exactly the way GREAT MUSTANGS have always been."

Couldn't agree more.

If you get a chance, pick up the issue, if for nothing else to see the Mustang in the same settings in San Francisco that Bullitt was filmed.
This discussion has been closed.