Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    fris....I'm kind of torn on the issue of American iron build and Japanese iron build. I also own a Toyota. I think they do a great job in building their vehicles. But, I'm also impressed with the Mustang's build.

I travel a lot (am in Miami, FL as I type this). That means a lot of rental cars. My current rental is a Solara. Yesterday it was a Subaru Outback. I can say in all truthfullness that I've seen the distance between American cars and Japanese cars close so much as to be unnoticeable in the past several years. That's not always been the case, however.. I drive rental Buicks, Fords, Subarus, Toyotas, Nissans, etc and even drove a rental Accord a few weeks ago (which is something I've never seen before). Granted, they all drive differently, I don't know that one would be neccessarily built better than the other.

Do I think my 4Runner is built better than my Mustang? They're both relatively new, so I can't say for certain. Plus, they are both on such opposite ends of the spectrum in what they do, I'm not even sure a legitimate comparison could be made. What I can say is that they both are tight, with good paint, close panel gaps and are squeak and rattle free. The Mustang is far louder (but in a good way).

I will say that the Toyotas I've owned and driven have all been tight, with narrow seams and good build. 5 years ago, I couldn't say the same for American cars. Today, I can.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Actually the Mustang has a great reliability record with CU - check the chart. I agree that there are problems with the '05's but this is practically a completely new car and the problems will most likely be fixed on the '06 or on the '05's under warranty. My old 2000 V6 convertible is fun to drive but I don't worry about the fact that the interior looks like it was all snapped together in pieces. I just enjoy spinning my back wheels occasionally. I've had front wheel drive cars for years and years and this brings back memories of the cars I had as a kid. If I had wanted a Lexus convertible I'd have bought one.
  • vppreachervppreacher Member Posts: 72
    For what it's worth, my dealer told me most of the TSBs have been fixed in cars coming off the line after April.

Anybody else heard any truth to that?
  • sonicblucrisissonicblucrisis Member Posts: 52
    Well, 216 Miles on the ODO, and what do you know!
    1) I have been shifting gears, with no "clunking" although if I put it in Drive in the Garage without my foot firmly on the brake, I catch a little chirp ;)
    2) I had to fill up tonight, and dreaded the famous pump shut-off problem. But wait, I put the nozzle in, pulled the lever all the way up, set the little holderthingie, and it pumped all 12 gallons in !
    3) When I let off the gas, especially in lower gear I get the most wonderful music I've heard since my friend's AMX 390 back in '77
    4) Old CD's, new CD's, and so far one burned CD aren't skipping. Sorry, I'll keep trying
    5) and I need help with this one, guys, When I drive for a couple hours with the top down, I geta sunburn! What am I supposed to do, there's nothing in the manual about this :surprise:
    NO Ford employee here. Actually I'm a cable guy. Actually I swore off Fords when I sold my '78 Mustang II back in 1983, THAT was a piece of ____
    That was then
    Hopefully the bugs that have been well overstated here were just that, a few new car bugs. It sounds as though Ford has apparently done a pretty fair job making some mid-production changes to fix those bugs. If I encounter a real problem with my Baby I promise Y'all will be the first to hear about it
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Actually, sunburn is a common problem with the new Mustang convertibles and is another reason why the GTO is the best car in the history of the known universe. I think it's absolutely appalling that Ford would allow cars with this kind of built in liability out in public. Not only are they a danger to their occupants through increased exposure to solar radiation, but the appearance of these convertibles in public could be distracting to other drivers as they watch your car rather than the rest of the road. This is yet another reason the GTO is the best car in the history of the known universe; no likelihood of distracting other drivers in a GTO! :P

I think Ford should put out a TSB for the convertibles addressing this problem. Perhaps they should just weld the top latches to the top of the windshield frame...... ;)
    rorr....LOL!

sonic.....I think most of the cars manufactured after the latter part of March had the "glitches" worked out. I know mine was made 3/22 (got the exact build date from vin# and a Flat Rock employee). I had one CD skip, but it was a burned CD using some "no name" bulk, blank CDs. Since I've changed to "brand name" blanks, no problems.

I've never had a fuel fill problem. No clunks, no drips, no errors.

Had the "automatic windows down" activated on my remote. So, in short, very pleased with this "first year" car.
  • lucretiakatzlucretiakatz Member Posts: 4
    Hi! I bought my 05 Mustang GT in November 2004. Simply couldn't wait to have one. I have had the front end popping problem. I had the car to the dealer for insulators on the coil springs, but still have the popping. I've never even had a CD in the player, so I don't know if it skips or not. The 1000 watt system is kind of lost on me...I hadn't had any fueling problems until just last week. Couldn't figure out why the nozzle kept turning itself off. I guess it just wasn't me holding the thing funny, huh?

Even so, I LOVE my car! But, what is this "automatic windows down" function on the remote? I've never heard of it (of course, I haven't read the owners manual, either), but would love to have it. Tell me more!
    "remote windows down" was an original function from the remote. You can hold down the "lunlock" button on the remote and both windows roll down.

This came with the active anti-theft option, if you have it.

Because of some innane alleged safety issue, Ford disabled the feature at the factory. It can be "re-enabled" at you dealership with an easy reprogram.
    I have the dash rattle and the interior upgrade package...drives me nuts. I also have a rattle coming from the rear interior. The dealer said it was the jack rattling in the trunk and said they took it out and wrapped it in foam before putting it back in. However, still rattles. So, two rattles are driving me nuts along with the clicking when using the AC and the front-end popping. Who knew a new car could make so much noise?
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    Make sure it isn't the passenger seat. I swore that there was a rattle that was either in the pass. door or from behind. The tech got int the car and it wwent away. This time he sat in the back and found it was the seat.

Of course they are giving me grief along the way because I lowered the car, the stiffer ride will priduce more rattles. Other than the one in the pass. side dash near the airbag, I don't have any. In fact, the one in the dash only appears when it is cooler. Right now? Nada. In April it was there and I imagine in October it will be back. By then, i assume that there will be a TSB on it. The tech guy refuses to touch it because of the airbag. I think that this complaint is quite common from other forums and it will be addressed at some point.

Other than a little rattle, the car, even in its lowered state, is amazingly solid. In fact, that was a huge selling point when I first testdrove this car.

My '99GT was solid too, as Mustangs have been very good lately.
  • dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    Some of that has to do with most US branded autos being built in newer factories with a variation of the Toyota Production System.

In some catagories the foreign brands have slipped in quality in order to get higher volume. Fortunatly these brands have a lot of quality in the bank, so they can get by. Unforunatly the reverse is true for the US brands who have a long history to overcome.

I'm a huge Mustang fan, but I still get that uneasy feeling looking back at the previous Mustangs I've owned(86 and 89 for new ones). They had some rough build quality, and the worst paint jobs I've ever had on a new vehicle. From what I hear things have changed, but even for me old feelings make a tough sell.
    I'm pretty sure it's not the passenger seat...I hear the rattle when someone sits there and when someone doesn't. The noise seems to come from the rear seat/trunk area, but I can't pinpoint it. The first dealership's solution was to buckle the rear seatbelts. I haven't been back to that dealership since. The current dealership is more responsive, but still didn't fix the problem. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks!
  • mrq0529mrq0529 Member Posts: 5
    The dealer has my car (GT conv.) for total of 20 days now and counting. The factory engr has been out twice to make test but cannot duplicate the problem. It has happened 3 times now, one time at the dealer. The car set for a few days and the battery goes dead. Has any body had this kind problem?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Sounds like you're having a problem with the retained accessory power. If you've got some time, go to the dealer and get in the car. Turn the key to the ACC position and turn on the radio. Turn the key off and remove it from the ignition. DO NOT open any doors. Wait 10 minutes. The radio and window functions should shut off.

It could also be that the delayed lighting isn't shutting off after you get out of the car. They should go off after about 10 or 15 seconds.

If it's neither of those, you probably have a bad ground somewhere.
    I can certainly understand your feelings. It took me a mighty long time to venture back into the American iron waters. I had some pretty poorly built GM cars in the early 90s and almost gave up on them. Same with Ford. Chrysler was even worse. My general feeling was GM CAN build a good car, but not right out of the shoot. It takes them a couple of years of building the same model to get it right. The most recent JD Power survey that gave kudos to GM was mainly for models that had been in production for awhile (like their trucks, LeSabres, Centurys, etc).

Personally, I don't think it's the UAW that is the culprit (although, for many years, they didn't seem to care much other than to get a new and better contract). I believe it was the manufacturing process that got in the way. After years of Big 3 and UAW arrogance, they finally woke up after plants started closing. They either became competitive or would find themselves losing the car market (which is what has been happening recently). I don't attribute the loss of car marketshare to shoddily built cars, though. They just took their eye off the ball to focus on trucks (which in turn were all the rage from the American buying public up until recently).

Since my sister is a Mustang fanatic, she forgave a lot of the foibles of the earlier models. She would actually buy a new one every year or two. After she turned me on to the early "looks" of what was to become the current Mustang, I took an interest in it. I began researching the '05 Mustang. Plenty was written about them after it's debut at the North American Auto Show in Detroit about 2.5 years ago.....including their new assembly home in Flat Rock. Mazda introduced their manufacturing techniques since the 6 is built in the same plant.

End result is, this Mustang is built worlds better than any of the previous versions.

Having already done a lot of research, when my much loved RX8 was rear ended, and subsequently totalled, the '05 Mustang was on my short list of replacements.

It's not disappointed me.

I do believe that some of the problems that have surfaced with the Mustang have to do with people buying it because of the styling, and not realizing it was going to ride firmer and be louder than whatever it was they owned previously. Some of it is related to the fact that there were a couple of hiccups early in the production cycle, namely slow fuel fill and some Shakers skipping. But, Ford quickly issued TSBs and made running production changes for models built after the first few months of production.

Only time (and miles) will tell whether it remains as totally solid as my 4Runner (or vice versa).
  • ghodgeghodge Member Posts: 2
    There is a TSB for this problem. The TPS is bad and will be repaced under warranty I had mine replaced today as well as the gas tank and the front strut bearings and spring insulators.
  • gkirilgkiril Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, 6-cyl, 5-spd here. I had the rattle in the dash also and a bracket came loose underneath that sounded frightening during acceleration (none of the other problems thankfully). I reported it and had the car back at the dealership before I discovered this forum. They fixed the loose bracket, but it took a while for the dealer to acknowledge the noise in the dash. When they did, they said they thought it was the transmission or the clutch, both of which were replaced. I don't believe it was related to either, but the noise IS gone. Anyway, since I've had it back, I have a new intermittent problem. When I shift into fifth it sounds as if the gears are grinding, or you could describe it as that sound you get when you try to put the car in reverse and it doesn't want to go at first, but after releasing and re-engaging the clutch you get it there. It's like it's being forced. The girlfriend took the car in, but because it's intermittent and it couldn't be duplicated, they said there was nothing they could do. I understand that, to a point, but I'm concerned about being stranded on the highway or the flywheel getting damaged. They did document the complaint, but right now, we have to drive it this way. Has anyone experienced this type of problem or does anyone have any suggestions? We had thought the dash rattle was one of those obscure problems, but after reading this forum we realize it's pretty common. I'm like everyone else, I hate these problems, but we love the Mustang and we are very happy with it. As long as the dealership/Ford is cooperative, we won't regret our purchase. It has been a great car to have. Any info on the shifting problem would be appreciated. Thanks, Keven.
  • mudpie70mudpie70 Member Posts: 1
    my '05 GT went into the shop today. i took it in saying there was a loud popping noise when i turn sharp to the left and right, and it occurs over all 4 wheels. i was told initially that there isn't a problem with the cars, then later they called me and said there is a problem with bushings in the struts on the new mustangs. i've only had mine 3 weeks. and also, i have the rattle problem in the back right quarter of the car too that i cant seem to narrow down.
    I'll post this hear since others may be interested, too.

One of the features of the "active anti-theft" option was the ability to roll down the windows with the remote by holding down the "unlock" button.

For some sort of "safety" issue that's something I don't understand, Ford "disabled" the feature.

My owners manual outlines the feature (it is outlined on page #65 in my owners manual under LOCKS AND SECURITY...Opening All Windows). Show that to your dealership's service dept to have them reactivate it (if they will....it's a simple 5 minute process).

Truthfully, the dealership isn't supposed to "reactivate it" because of the alleged safety issues. But, mine had no issues doing it. That said, there was a rumor that Ford totally did away with the feature starting sometime in April or May. Don't know how true that is, though. Since all owners manuals and MSRP stickers state that Ford with holds the rights to change features at any time, they may have indeed, done just that.
  • newmustang_guynewmustang_guy Member Posts: 3
    You are probably right about Ford taking away the feature. My manual (3rd printing April '05) does not mention this feature ANYWHERE. Plus, my Mustang GT was made early June '05 so I guess those of you with earlier build dates "have" the feature and those of us after won't since Ford probably won't activate it.
    Well, Looks like I found one.
    The paint has three swirl marks on the drivers side. You can't see them in the shade, but they reflect light differently from the rest of the paint, kind of a slight "prizm" effect in bright sun or (in my garage) under flourescents. I didn't see them when I picked up the car because the drivers side was in the shade. The first time I saw them, I thought I had more handprints (Actually been a problem, every time I return to the car in a parking lot there's finger prints and even nose prints on the windows!!) I think the detail guy at the dealership was overzealous with the buffer, but no matter. The dealer wants to take it in and wet sand the marks. I'm assuming that they will need to reapply the clearcoat when that's done, but I need to call him back and get more details. Any comments?
    Those marks must be pretty deep since the dealer wants to wet sand it. And, yes....they will have to reapply clar coat after wet sanding.

I just wonder why they wouldn't try to "buff" the marks first.

I do agree. A detailer who is too aggressive and/or is using a dirty bonnet, will indeed leave swirls. Does the dealer have one of those automated car washers that uses nylong bristles? Any sort of "spinning" car washes will leave swirls, too.
  • alex141alex141 Member Posts: 1
    All four windows work intermittently. This is a third car that doesn't get used much. (30,000 mile 1993 convertible) Don't work when I start the car. After a 20 -30 minutes of driving they work. For no apparent reason. When I stop the car, sometime they work some times they don't. No pattern. As though the "pressure" builds up in a vacuum line and allows them to work...

Please help. This drives me crazy!

Alex
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I wish I could tell you something useful. But it's funny that your problem is EXACTLY like a problem I am having with the navigation system/radio in my other car. No pattern whatsoever. Sometimes it works like new, sometimes it takes 15 - 30 minutes to "boot up." Drives me nuts. I know I should just replace it, but at ~$1600, it's not exactly what you would call an "expendable" item.
    Could be a number of things. Since you don't drive much, moisture could be creepeing on somewhere along the line. That could be anywhere from the switches, through the wiring, to the motors themselves. Since after you start driving for awhile they work, I'll assume the moisture is evaporating, evenutally.

You should still be under warranty. Take it into the dealer (preferably cold and when the windows don't work). It will probably take a while for them to find out where the actual moisture is, so be patient with them.

Probably best to take the car out and run it a little more, though. That will help with a myriad of things.
  • tha1tha1 Member Posts: 7
    Hey Guys,

Get this - I had to take my new mustang in because when it rained the back windshield was leaking. So I brought it in Ford brought in a subcontractor to take out the window and reseal it. I called today the asst service manager says that they resealed it and I could pick it up. I had to go after hours because of work - I look at the window and see the following:
    --glass chipped where they removed the windshield
    --paint chipped where they removed the windshield
    --trim runners on the roof are now loose
    --besides all that where the problem with the leak was there is now a glob of sealant that can be seen when looking at the windshield!!!!!!!!!!!!

I left the car there (don't know why - because if they have to order me a W/S it will probably take forever)

What do you guys think I should have then do? Do you think I need to escalate this or wait and see what the local svc dept says?

I am totally disgusted at my Ford service dept..

TH
  • mustangsally3mustangsally3 Member Posts: 18
    I have a sonic blue GT and the paint job is not up to par. The clear coat has orange peel all over it (dimpling in the paint). And it's showing micro-scratches like crazy. A local Ford dealer is going to re-surface it in a couple of weeks, dust it with the paint, and then up to 3 new coats of clear coat. It makes me kinda of nervous messing with factory paint, but it doesn't look right now and they say just buffing it won't work. Ford's regional rep. refuses to entertain the idea of a "buy back". I'm between a rock and a hard place. Any advice or opinion on having the clear coat re-done. I've also owned a '92 and '95 new (and a '67 that's half way restored and on the road) and the paint was fine on the new ones. Thanks for a response.
    mustangsally3
    Call Ford Direct and issue a complaint, then tell your local dealer you want everything fixed NOW and you want a loaner the entire time they are fixing it. I have a new '05 GT and it's been in the shop a total of 8 times for technical bullentins. It's ridiculous and I'm a Mustang lover. They just didn't get their stuff together before they released this pony. That's forsure! Just my opinion.
    Mustangsally3
    To:sonicbluecrisis
    I'm having the same problem with my sonic blue GT. And some fool body shop manager wanted to blame me for washing it with a new sponge. I had an environmental protection coating applied by the selling dealer, I think that's when the micro-scratches appeared especially on the hood. And it's true, you can only see them at an angle and it bright light. And my clear coat is very dimply (orange peel). The orange peel is a factory defect. I got another opinion and they are re-surfacing my entire car, dusting it with sonic blue paint, then applying 3 coats of clear coat. I'm a little nervous. It'll take about 3 weeks to complete. Let's stay in touch on this subject if you don't mind. Do you also have the orange peel??
    mustangsally3
    Actually, Mustangsally, My Sonic Blue looks great. The only problem I had looked lke someone with a buffer was detailing it at the dealership before delivery and put three small swirls on the drivers side. Actually I'm being nit-picky, but for 34K, who wouldn't be! the swirls are very small and you can only see them in bright light. No "orange peel" as you call it, the rest of the paint looks fantastic. But, my dealer didn't add any environmental protection to the car. I'm assuming an overzealous detail guy. they have the car now, and are going to wet-sand and reapply clearcoat. Good luck with yours!
    tha1....I certainly would want a new paint job since the contractor clearly was to blame. I'd definitely escalate that to the service mgr and/or Ford Customer Service. Since the dealership authorized this contractor to do the work, then it's the dealership's responsibility to stand behind it. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Sally....a certain amount of orange peel is noticeable on all cars. The only way to get no orange peel is to go to a custom paint shop and have them sand, paint, saind, paint several times. That said, the times I've seen those "environmental packages" (or super fancy wax jobs) applied by a dealer, more often than not, they do more harm than good. In general, those packages are little more than a profit maker for the dealership.

I've yet to see one of those applied that did a better job than a good old fashioned wash and wax detail I do myself. As a point of reference, I never let a dealer even wash my new car before delivery. I don't want them to use whatever "shop rags" they've got lying around to mar my finish. Again, since this was a dealer application, they should stand behind their work and correct the swirls.

taz......I have absolutely no idea what your post means. But, glad you're happy!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I see orange peel on a lot of new cars...it's the kind of thing I always look for...fit 'n finish issues....I think that unless it is REALLY outrageous and unsightly even to the untrained eye, you should just live with it rather than mess with it...if it were an $80,000 Lexus or Benz I'd whine louder but really with a Mustang you are getting a lot of bang for your buck so you have to be realistic about mass production cars...I've seen Chevys, Subarus, Hyundais, Hondas, etc. with these problems.

Graphic is right---if you want totally flawless paint, you'll have to give a custom body shop $6,000--$8,000 to do it right. I once paid $1,600 just to have the FENDER paint on a car made perfect. I wanted to be able to shave in it, and that's what I got. But that was a car of considerable value that I needed to sell for a tasty price---it had to be perfect.
    Hmmmm.....just curious, what mods did you do to get that Impala to 600 HP? What mods did you have to do to the tranny and suspension to handle it? How much did all the modding cost?
    To sonicbluecrisis, I'm glad you don't have orange peel on your paint and that the swirls are only small. Wish mine was that simple. Thanks for a response. My sonic blue will be going into the shop Aug. 1st for 3 long weeks. Atleast I'll be on vacation during that time and it'll take my mind off the fact that my car is being dis-assembled to have the paint and clear coat applied properly. They wouldn't even entertain a back back offer...
    mustangsally3
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    numerous posts have been deleted for flaming, profanity, etc., so there may be a few "gaps" in the sequence of the posts as you read them.

Any posts that violate the rules of Member Conduct will be quickly deleted, so if you don't want to be writing in disappearing ink, think before you hit the keyboard.

Thanks and we now return to our regular programming,

Shifty the Host
    Thanks, Shifty.....things didn't "smell" quite right with some of those posts to begin with.

On with another question for MustangSally....I'm a little confused about your dealership's statement that they are going to take your car apart and "dust it with paint". Did they mention exactly what they meant by that?

I'm curious for no other reason than I've never heard of that process. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I'm just curious as to what that process is.
  • dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    That has me wondering too. Plus three weeks? There are custom car shops that will take less time than that. :confuse:
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Be sure to record the odometer reading when you drop the car off.
  • jopjop Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the UK and just shipped over the first 2005 yellow GT convertible in the country. This means I have no warranty because I've taken the car out of the States (Ford won't sell it in the UK). The paint job is really poor - where the bumpers are attached to the car, you can see grey plastic. The paint is so thin you can see the undercoat. I had DiamondRite put on, but that obviously won't cover up the missing paint. This cost me over £32k all-in, that's over $45k and now I'm scared.

Does anyone else have a problem with the radio / computer too. It's only intermittant, but every 3rd journey (approx), I start the engine and the miles have been set to km, the radio settings are all wiped, and the clocks been reset.

I'm also having a problem with the trunk. I've had the tape up the internal trunk release as the trunk kept opening when I was driving along. The internal release is so sensitive, that a slight bump in the road opens the lid. The tape seems to have worked.

I really welcome any tips re the radio, and as for the paintwork, wellI 'm having to seriously consider spending another $2.5k on a re-spray for the car.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • otterwayotterway Member Posts: 10
    Hello mate. Im in the UK too and have a Mineral grey GT imported from Texas. I am working on getting the warranty transferred. The sales people are total idiots but I have been told I can get the warranty stamped and fed exd over. We just get a 2 year rather than a 3 year. I also know of someone else who has successfully had one transferred.
    Ill keep everyone posted but KEEP THE FAITH.
  • jopjop Member Posts: 3
    That's brilliant news. My main concern is the paint job - it's appalling, and really noticable on a yellow car. The radio is an irritation which'll probably get to me after a while, but I can live with for now. Who'd you use to import it? Are you a member of the MOCGB?

To be honest - a 2 year warranty would be brill. I'd imagine (or hope) that once these initial probsare sorted, there shouldn't be anything else needing a warranty. I've spoken to Ford UK and, just like when I asked them about importing through them, they don't want to know.

What have you been told re servicing intervals? In my handbook (I'm guessing the car came from Canada, as it's in French & English), it's sayingit should be serviced every 5k km.
  • otterwayotterway Member Posts: 10
    Im not a member and I bought off another guy so didn't have to soil my hands with the nastiness of importing. I have spoken to Ford UK who are a bunch or chocolate tea pots... totaly useless!. They reckon they dont even know how to get the parts into the UK which I find very difficult to believe. I have used a local guy Billy at North American Motors in Farnborough, Hants to get all the stuff for my old yank tanks. Ford also in Farnborough said they would probably go through him!?! Very odd.
    In terms of ford UK even knowing how to work on a V8 I am still to be convinced. Im very dubious when Ford UK say "we would have to read about how to fix the problems". Surly there must be some step by step instructions available within Ford to tell them how to do things?
    Im not sure if I want my GT to be ford UKs guinea pig.
    As for the servicing Im going to do my first at the 5K mark then 3K after that.
    I need to get my problems sorted as I have only found one petrol pump in the surrounding area that allows me to fill up without cutting off.
    All you American owners be glad that you can at least go down and have it out face to face with your dealer!
  • kaihenrykaihenry Member Posts: 5
    Hi rorr, can you tell me how to get the production date from my vin? I would like to that info... Thanks a lot!
    Kai
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Kai -

I think you've got me confused with graphicguy....... :confuse:
    Sorry, but I have to ask
    Chocolate Tea pots?
    rorr....how can we possibly be confused with each other..... :confuse: ;)

Build month/year will be on the driver's side door sill with all sorts of other info like tire size, etc.
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    A tea pot is made to serve hot tea. Think about it, it means that it is useless.
  • passionspassions Member Posts: 3
    :sick: I have owned my 2005 Mustang since March and have been having the same problem. At first, I thought it was a problem with the pumps at the gas station. It kept cutting off without filling up. I also tried switching pumps. I finally got the gas to fill up, but sometime later the emission light (check engine soon light) showed up on my panel. I took it in immediately and two hours later was told by the service advisor that they cancelled emission light after they "tested" it for some kind of leak, and that it was "safe" to drive and if the light did come on again, to bring it back. So, after driving back home, I decided to fill up my car and encountered the same problem at the pump. Frustrated, I called about the problem and was asked to bring my car back that same day. Thinking that the problem was a minor one, I called to check when I could pick up my car. I was told that FORD said that it was necessary to change the entire gas tank because of a defect (something to do with a flap in the tank), and because I live in Hawaii, it would be towards the end of the week to for them receive the part. It has been five days now since I brought my car in and I'm driving around with a FORD FOCUS.

Another incident which happened in the first week that I purchased this vehicle is that the hose to the windshield fluid came off and most of the fluid drained. I discovered that accidentally when I stopped on the side of the road to buy something at a fruit stand.

It is very frustrating and disappointing to experience something like this, especially when a lot of money is invested into something you would think you could rely on. I'm a single parent and don't particularly like the feeling of having to complain about something that I am paying a lot of money for.

Something has to be done about these complaints.
    A TSB was issued for the slow fuel fill. They are replacing gas tanks. That seems to me to be a bit dramatic since the "goose neck" filler tube seems to capture the fuel fumes and cause some pumps to "click off". But, that's Ford's answer.

Windshield washer tube is an easy fix. If you purchased this in March and it happened in your first week of ownership, this should be fixed already.

Getting parts from the mainland will take a bit longer, but look at it this way......you're living in paradise...... :shades:
  • finishnailfinishnail Member Posts: 1
    i purchased a 2005 mustang v-6 in nov. of 04. i have a problem with acceleration or the lack of it. seems as if the automatic transmission is spinning and the car is not going for a few seconds. have tried accelerating with the traction control on and off. no difference. also the suspension is extremely firm. i drove two other v-6 autos. at another dealer and they rode noticeably better. also most of the air from the heat/cooling goes through the defroster to the windshield. anyone have any suggestions to remedy these problems.. the dealer doesn't have a clue.
This discussion has been closed.