Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XIII

Comments

• markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Same filter box, just a deeper element. Probably slightly more surface area....

You can run either filter element regardless of what you order originally.

I went for the $$ filter option when I ordered, at one year and about 23,000 miles, filter was barely dirty and the pressure drop indicator had not moved past the halfway point.... and on my old diesel, the filter would be dark colored after just 6,000 miles of the same type of driving.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I went back and checked, I paid $275 for the flares I put on my 99 Silverado 4x4. But, I remember they said some accesories were sold to me at cost when I bought the truck. Don't know what the normal price is for the flares.

I do know the $180 to have put on a new truck is a much better price. They came on my OO Silverado 2500 Carmine Red with black flares - very nice.

Mike L
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    A guy with a 2000 (at the time wasnt an option) white silverado had shiny black flares. I asked him if they were put on at the factory he said no the 1500's dont come with them i said yea they are an option now mine have them. He said how much were they i sadi $180 his jaw hit the floor. he paid $600 for a set of 4 plus installation he said it came out to be $750 he was pretty pissed. I bet he called his dealership up that day.

Ryan
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    here we go, what about the color matched flares?
    are they more money, are any holes needed to be
    drilled, will they squeak if not assembled at the
    factory, can you mount them yourself, is there a
    part number, and how long does it take to get
    them if ordered?
    try these websites out

http://www.shush.com/

http://www.shuttheheckup.com/

http://www.gobuggsomeoneelse.com/

I would give you some more but i think i would be permanetly banned from these forums.

Ryan
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    Why did you remove the factory installed flares? I think the flares are ugly & am glad that they are not on my truck. Someone (a bonehead) once said that the Z71 package should include the flares...I'm glad that's not part of the package!

It looks ok... on the 4WD 3/4 tons, because it separates the 1/2 from the 3/4 ton.
    but will you please answer my questions.

...red
    RCOOS - Guess im the bonehead
    RED - What questions???

Ryan
    1. Doesn't seem to be a price difference based on color. However, when I ordered mine only the semi-gloss black ones were available. Fortunately that is the color I wanted anyway.

2.No holes to drill (for factory flares)

3.They will not squeak if you install them yourself.

They mount with plastic barbed fittings into existing holes in the fenders and with doublesided tape that is on the flare.

Remove all wax from the area you will mount to. You mount them with the barbed fittings first. When you have them in place, then you pull out the paper release tape from the double sticky stuff. Then push firmly all the way around to ensure a good bond.

I put 25,000 miles on my 99 since I mounted the flares, and they have never moved. The paint on them was not good when I got them, so I repainted them with some hardware store satin black with good results.

p/n's 12495830 and 12495831 One is for front, and the other is for the rear. Both are Satin Black. For more part numbers (different paint colors) check the GM Goodwrench website under accesories.

Mike L
    Nobody can bug you unless you let them!

Mike L
  • khharriskhharris Member Posts: 51
    00 1500 LT Z71 ext cab 4DR pewter,so far I have added,Lund Interceptor bugdeflector,Weathertech side window visors,tinted front windows to match rears,husky floorliners,catback exhaust with Magnaflow,mudflaps,hitchcover and first wax job.Also have Edelbrock shocks on order, came out to $50 and change each with the 1/3 discount from car parts.com and the $27 rebate from Edelbrock,and will probably add new speakers an amp and subwoofer to the sterio.So far 2900 miles on the 5.3L and flawless.BTW the magnaflow sounds excelent,went straight out the back with chrome tips that are slant cut.

Kirk
    thanks for the info.

ryan's a great kid. don't know when to have fun
    with him though. sometimes you can pull his chain
    sometimes you can't. maybe when girly gets back
    he'll calm down.

...red
    Shes back spent yesterday evening together woohoo she came to my bball game then we watched a movie.

You guys just never take me seriously thats what bothers me

Ryan
    Does anyone know if you can buy gm rims from a dealership (parts dept)??? My salesman is supposed to get back to me but i thought i would ask. I am thinking of getting a set of rims that the tahoes have (either the LS machined alum or LT alum) to use during the winter months. Probably get some michelens or BF goodrich tires same size 265's. i really like the look of the tahoe rims. They are the same size and can be used on the silverado right??? Thanks

Ryan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    seriously......

..Excecpt for all the stuff you say..

hehehehee

How's the Tundra?
    - Tim
    The silverados great.

It rained though and my waxing job went to waste :(

Ryan
    chill dude... your suppose to come here and have
    fun. edmunds did'nt set this thing up for people
    to get angry. sure things get silly once in
    awhile but heh, that's life right?

on the wheel thing though you might try some of
    the tire shops, sometimes guys get a credit on
    the factory wheels (not much either) towards
    their favorite aftermarket wheels. they then will

try to sell them to some unsuspecting patron for
    top dollar. be patient and play with them if you
    find a place that has what you want. trust me (or

not) they want nothing more than to unload them
    so bargain with them. hope this helps ya.

...red
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I know we've probably covered this in the past, but what price have people been paying, and where did they get them (web), for the following parts...

Lund Interceptor p/n 18063:
    Westin CPS Step Bars p/n 26-1680:

So, I crawled under my '89 Silverado this weekend and tried looking for where that jolting sound and feeling I get in my rear end when stopped maybe coming from. Remember this is where when I'm stopped and just as I release my brake I get this jolt like someone just bump me from behind. I took a look at the rear leaf springs and how they are mounted to the frame. There is an arm with bushings on either end that attaches the aft part of the rear leaf spring to the frame of the truck. These bushings looked a little seized, so I sprayed them with a lot of WD-40 (couldn't get any 5W-30 in there, it's too tight). Looks like that may have fixed my problem. On the way to work today I didn't notice any jolts when stopped. Hope it stays that way.

-David
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    When I get my 2001 Silverado LS in October, I'm putting custom wheels on it. If you are interested in the factory wheels that I'm taking off of it (16" Polished Cast Aluminum from an LS), I'd make you a great deal on them.

-David
    David woah thats exactly what i am experiencing on my truck a jolt after i stop and when i hit the gas. It has only happened 4 times. Could you email me some more detailed information on what you did and what was wrong and how you could tell what was wrong.

Ryanb0928@aol.com

Red- that was actually a good idea thanks. I was also thinking of something else. My mom works for a place um i dont know how to explain it better than a junk yard. They have a big yard with crashed cars and stuff that have been totalled. They sell parts to customers. My mom works with insurance companies getting them parts and such. Well i know the owner real good. he is always buying wrecks and i figure ill talk to him about trying to get me some tahoe wheels that are in good shape. I doubt ill have to pay all that much if anything at all. My alternator went bad in my S-10 and they gave me one for free. Oh the perks in life haha

Ryan

Thanks
    I already have those rims on my truck. I want the tahoe rims which just have the chevy bowtie in the middle. Thanks anyways.

Ryan
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    I've got the same exhaust and love it. When you do more with the stereo let us know. There has been some good advice on the Bazooka here before and I'm still considering doing that at a minimum. Let us know what you put in.

Greg
    The wheels will be fine in the winter...are we getting a little anal here or what?

- Tim
    I want "snow" tires more aggressive tread and i figure why switch tires just get a set with em on the rims and store them in the garage. I think they will look nice and it will be "origional" How man silverados out there have tahoe rims???

Ryan
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    try this place...

http://www.capitalwheels.com
    wannabe? Maybe you should have spent the $4k and got one... I mean with the rear seats folding down, you would have additional covered space in the back to do WHATEVER, instead of the open space now in the back of your truck. Maybe a burb would actually work better for you, it's a bit more spacious in the back... ;)
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    david -
    Westin CPS Nerfs:
    I called the contact number, found a dealer near where I live and got them for about $340. Self installed, so not sure how much that runs. Recommend you not go to the "napa, pep boys, advance auto" kinda joints. all those around me were looking to get $400 PLUS s/h for them. local accessories/off road store charged me exactly what westin retails them for.

kyle
    did you get the On/off road tread tires?....they work fine for snow..

- Tim
  • 99crewcab199crewcab1 Member Posts: 79
    Ive been follwing you guys for the past couple of months, but this post is for Ryan.
    Try www.aaarims.com They have an online catalog and probably have the rims.

Nick
    Another place to look for wheels is a dealer that sells trucks (or Tahoes) with lift kits and big wheels/tires.

We have such a dealer here in San Jose, CA. They charge $10K for the lift/wheels/tires and then the turn around and sell the take-offs for $400 complete -Wheels, caps and Tires. That is about the cost of the tires, and far less than the cost of the wheels from a dealer. Even places that specialize in used wheels charge $100-150 for a cast wheel.

Good Luck,

Mike L
    Salesman found out for me if i get em from gm they are $464 a piece so about $1700 a set all i have to say is F that. Its a hundred something dollar option. Hmm they didnt jack up the price a lil huh? Thanks guys for the input.

Ryan
    I have the firestone WOL P265's

Ryan
  • khharriskhharris Member Posts: 51
    Does anybody know where I can see a picture of the new orange and green,if the orange looks like the ford orange I want one.

Kirk
    ..OK..but are they all season or On/off road?

- Tim
    ..OK..but are they all season or On/off road?

- Tim

Kirk,

it is like the Ford Orange
    exhaust system for their Silverado, check this link out first. The HP and torques gains are impressive:

http://jwfcs.webprovider.com/index.htm

I currently have a Gibson swept side single in single out and the resonance is a little irritating...so I ordered one of these which promises absolutely no resonance. Will post results after install...
    Ok this morning before work i go to dunkin donuts. When im leaving i put the truck in reverse ok then i put it in drive hit the gas and i go absolutely nowhere. So i ease off the gas. I hit it again and a second later my rear drivers side wheels squeeled (i think i left a tire mark) and i jolted forward. It was wierd i was in a parking lot and barely hit the gas. In total about 3-4 seconds went by before the truck even budged forward. Anyone here of this before. Please no smart remarks (red). Im not to happy right now. Thanks

Ryan
    was the truck still rolling a little backwards? Did you put the selector in the "D" slot? There seems to be a delay in the forward gear engaging. Might just be an isolated incident. Though some people have complained on this issue. I would wait and see if it happens again and take note of the conditions under which it happens...my $.02
    meant to say when placing truck into forward gear
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    What was the cost of this system? Looks to be top quality, but I'm a little confused by comparing hp/torque to mph and not rpm. They show a hp peak of only about 160 hp. Seems a bit low, even if this is (and I'm sure it is) at the rear wheels. Of course, in top gear at 70 mph, my truck is only turning about 2000 rpm, and the hp peak is up around 4400 rpm, I believe, so this may be the reason for the low numbers. Still, the improvement is dramatic, if their chart is true and acurate.
    I was quoted $525 for the single in single out catback with free delivery in continental U.S. As far as verification of the numbers, an independent shop owner dyno'd a stock Silverado before and after and the net gain at the rear wheels was 18 hp. This was only with the catback and not the headers. The reason I sought out this brand was due to resonance...after awhile, it just gets to you...sort of numbing effect...of course the HP gain isn't too shabby either.

Dean
    what happened to post #296? Don't think Meredith was lurking this morning. so did you scribble your own post?

Dean
    like oby said, not too sure what the conditions were. mine does this occasionally, but only seems like when i'm rushing it. never happens for 3-4 seconds though. only thing i can say is what i've done and that's: take your time. back up, stop, change gears, wait for that subtle jolt that tells you the forward gear is engaged, and then accelerate. (note: i'm NOT trying to teach you how to drive). if you do this and experience the same difficulty, take it to the dealer. also, personally, i would be prepared to be an a**hole. have a photocopy of the section of the owner's manual handy that tells you how to put the vehicle into operation. basically the gm version of what i said above. say...hey, i followed these instructions, and it ain't workin'...my 0.02

kyle
    soundsd like maybe it just wasn't in all the way??

...or a freak thing..

...BTW...I told ya it was ragged on!

hehhehhhee

(sorry..i gotta be me)

- Tim
    Yea Kyle i did shift correctly. Reverse, complete stop shifted into drive then hit gas. I know what your saying and your not trying to teach me to drive but they will tell me i did it to fast or something but i didnt i had to stop completely to let a guy cross the parking lot. If it does it again im taking it in next wk or maybe friday morning. I dont wanna not have the truck this weekend though but i think i could manage if i had to.

Tim it wasnt ragged on. Its great except for this. I am kinda thinking its the locking differential for some reason. Also my dad has a friend who has a 99 silverado and the rear end went out on him. Hmmm hopefully mine isnt going out. Whats the indications of this???

Thanks guys

Ryan
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    What is the brand name of better running boards for a 00 1500? I am wanting pewter ones that not only have the step for the driver, but also extend back with a step for the extended cab doors. Appreciate your experiences with them. Thanks.

Ryan, just a thought. Might be worth a minute to check your transmission fluid level. Probably okay, but there is a slim chance that you got shortchanged on the assembly line. Bob
  • smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    I stopped by the dealer I've been working with to have a look at their 2001 GMC Order Guide (2001 Chevrolet wasn't in yet). The colors are supposed to be the same between the two lines. I saw a color swatch of the new metallic sage green and the medium neutral II interior color. Sorry didn't look at the orange... The medium neutral II doesn't look tan at all. It really looks like Taupe (tan and gray at the same time, but neither)
    For those of you that have seen the running boards on the Expedition...the ones that are all black with a little light raised on a diagonal at each end. My neighbor has a '00 1500 that he found them for...not sure where, but if you'd like info on them, email me at kwerking@aol.com and I'll ask him where he got 'em, how much, etc...

kyle
    For more information on the Zummo PowerVault go read at Pacific Audio. The exhaust topics have been going for many months and in great detail. I believe it is John from Zummo posts there daily. As well there are people that have the product installed. Do a search for Zummo, or any of your favorite brand mufflers and you'll be reading all day.

The are several guys there into the serious engine mod for torque and power.

The link is http://www.pacific-audio.com/performance/discussion.html .

Greg
    Your problem has been reported before, but its been several months since I heard anyone mention it. Call your service technician.

Greg
This discussion has been closed.