Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    "i used to pull those kind of stunts"

What are you talking about? You think I was trying to slip and slide down an onramp? You think I want to put a $29,000.00 car into a guard rail with only 800 miles on it? Well anyway, I was just sharing an experience and by no means was it fun or a stunt, more like a wake up call.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Good, I should hope so. It's probably not for me to judge in that I have no idea of what kind of driver you are, other than for the image of you skidding sideways down some highway ramp.

What riles me, tho, are those guys I constantly see everyday weaving in and out of traffic at 100 mph, with kids and families in cars right beside them on the road.

Frankly, when I first started driving my GT, I found it kinda scary, especially after having driven mostly Hondas for 20+ years. I would constantly look down at the speedometer to find that I was doing, say, 40 in 25 mph zones, without even blinking. Even now, about 1500 miles later, I still keep the radio down so I can hear the engine. I find it's all too easy for my attention to wander and the car to get away from me, to find myself flying down the highway at 90 mph without even knowing it. :shades:
    Yeah I know what you mean about not being aware of how fast you are going unless you look at your speedometer. Especially from a dead stop at a light, I engage the clutch in first gear; barely on the gas then you zooming up on the rear end of the Honda in front of you. I do love the car though, my first real V8. I did own an 80 Olds Cutlass with the 4.3 V8 but that thing was slow as no tomorrow. My old 4 banger Saturn was faster then that Olds.
    It's real nice having that kind of problem, huh? That is, too much power. :shades:
    I have a question for you all. It's not the issue many have experienced with not being able to fill the fuel tank without the pump shutting off; the one I am experiencing is fuel overflow when the tank is full. For instance when you are filling the tank and you set the switch to hold the pump on so as not the have to sit there and hold it, well when the tank is full and the pump shuts off I get a nice little burst of gas come out of the tank and run down the side of the car and onto the ground. It has done this at different pumps and different stations. This I can't stand knowing also what gas will do to your clear coat. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • bobcathbobcath Member Posts: 13
    Happened to me once at a Walmart gas pump. Think that some pumps are really fast and toward the end I just slow down the fuel flow. No problem after that.
  • cobragtcobragt Member Posts: 95
    That happened to me once or twice, its not your car, its the gas station. I even asked on of the guys, and he said it was his fault.

The gas won't do anything to your clear coat. Obviously you don't want it to just sit there for a month, but in reality it could, because it has no effect on the paint or clear coat.
  • oksooneroksooner Member Posts: 1
    I bought my GT Dec 9,2004 in Paris, Tex. From the get go I noticed the fuel shut off problems, then the poping coming from the right front tire area. The dealership has pretty well blown me off on both problems. The local dealership fixed the poping problems by replacing the strut bushings. At least that what they told me and the problem seems to be fixed. They have however said that FORD is still working on the problem. The most anowing problem is I have a water leak that comes in from the right fender and gets the right kickpanel wet and drains down th the carpet. They have worked on it 5 times now and even pulled the fender off once and still couldn't stop it. This last time they said it was an electrical gromet that wasn't sealing. We'll see of this does it this time. I was told by the Paris, Tx delership,the slow gas filling problem was something I had to live with. But with all I have read here it seems the gas tank will be brought to their attention.
  • klavitolaklavitola Member Posts: 4
    Well, I am happy to report that I got it all fixed ! They fixed the front end cranking noise - gave me a new Shaker stereo (on my word that it skipped and they didnt test it) - my emerg brake was freezing up and they found water in the cable - so I got a new one - I got a new door handle - they adjusted the window where it skips down when you open the door - They replaced the gas tank -- They did a great job (Princeton, NJ Conover Ford) - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !! I also had a remote start and alarm put in while they had the car :-) :shades: :) :P ;)
    Ah yes, you just answered my question about the E-Brake sticking.
    So its water in the line? Mine does it too, and I was told not to use the E-Brake when its cold out, to just park it in gear.
  • stpstarnstpstarn Member Posts: 9
    After a letter to the Manufacturer and talk with the Manager at the Ford Dealership they gave us an extra 2 years or 75,000. mile full warranty on the vehicle. Which helps me sleep a bit easier. So if your having trouble out there, don't give up.
    ;)
  • sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    yeah just leave it; and if your going to clean it just pour some warm water on it; do not wipe it off, as this will scratch the clear coat; again, the best thing to do to clean a gas spill is just pour some lukewarm on it and not even wipe down

PS touch free washes only
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Touch-free washes are horrible! It's a crap shoot. If they haven't changed out the filters for that recycled water, you'll get a nasty, filty haze all over your car. Happened to my GT once. That was the first and LAST time I will use one on it. Had to take it home and break out the pressure washer followed by the Zaino detailer.

Luckily, though, I haven't had to actually wash it in the 13.5 months that I've owned it. :blush: It's nice to be able to take it out only on sunny and/or dry days. ;) All I ever have to do is spray the dust off occasionally. I used the California Duster two times. Noticed that it was leaving scratches so I won't be using that again. :( (At least not until the clearcoat has become sufficiently swirled as to not matter anymore; which is what I'm desparately trying to avoid like the Noid.)
    I only take mine out on dry and Sunny days too. But what do you do about that brake dust? Mine gets all over the rims and if my car wasnt black I am sure you would be able to see at the very bottom of the car.
    To be honest, I don't have a problem with brake dust on my GT. Not even when I had the stock aluminum wheels. At any rate, my pressure washer takes care of that. ;) But all you have to do is use an old rag and dust them off if you don't want to keep breaking out the hose and bucket (or pressure washer for me.) It works wonders and it only takes 5 minutes or so to do all the wheels.
    What about brushless car washes? Are they bad or OK?
    I like using a sheepskin mitt. They clean nicely while not holding onto dirt and other objects that can scratch the paint like brushes or sponges.
    What about brushless car washes? Are they bad or OK?

They're bad if you're anal about your car's finish. :sick:

I tried a sheepskin mit once years ago. It was lousy so I stuck with the cotton mits.
    Wow really? Mine get loaded quick, but thanks for the tips. I cant just dust mine though I use armor all and it makes it gooey. I don't have a pressure washer so I am stuck with the bucket of water. lol. Thanks again. :)
    It's funny how the last like 9 post still have my original question header "Gas Tank" on them yet have nothing to do with that.... You guys are funny... :P :)
    My job takes me out of town for a week to two weeks on end and I have only had my GT for less than a month now. It's killing me... I lay here trying to get to sleep in this hotel room dreaming of punching that accelerator and roaring up the speed limit or so... Never in my life have I truly missed my car, this feels kind of wacky. But at least I have had time to pick my racing stripes out, 12" rally style. I decided to go with white being that the base color is torch red. Going to go with the GT 300 rocker panel stripe. I want to go home so I can just take a trip to the store, figure out some errand to do just to get behind the wheel. Oh and one last thing, I found a cool site you can see what stripes will look like on your car no matter what color your base is or what color of stripes you like. Click below then click the picture that says "click for stripe color options".

link title
  • artgartg Member Posts: 7
    The retro Mustang is wonderful and much admired on the road. Love my '06 GT.
    Question for those with the 5-speed manual shift: Do you occasionally hear a distinct clunk when engaging and releasing the clutch?
  • pnypwrpnypwr Member Posts: 1
    I have had the car for 5 months and every time I fill it with gas, it overflows. Ford has put in a new gas tank, a new filler pipe, a second modified filler pipe that Ford has recent come out with, and a couple of other things.....ALL to no avail. The Service manager filled it himself after each attempt and has informed me that it is still overflowing. If anything, it is a safety hazard to have a puddle of gas on the ground. The head Ford guy is to comment on the next step. VERY frustrating. If I park in the garage after filling, it will smell of gas. The gas also runs thru the slot at the top of the filler and down behind the back panel, where you can not just wipe it off. The manager said he tried a new mustang on the lot and it did the same thing..........duh!! Why haven't they got a fix yet??? I'll post the final resolve when I get my car back (already been 2 weeks)
  • rimfirerimfire Member Posts: 5
    I have 05 gt manual and i also hear the clunk you speak of, but it us usually when i shift at low rpms.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    use some wheel cleaner and a long bristle paint brush to clean the wheels. there is also a wheel wax that is supposed to keep them cleaner.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • emberglow66emberglow66 Member Posts: 3
    Did you like the power boost with the cold air intake? I got the word that my GT Convert (on order since Aug 15) is due in end of Feb, and am considering having Ford dealer install their cold air kit before I pick it up.

Thanks, John
    I absolutely loved it. If you are seriously considering it though, in all honesty I would say to not have Ford do it, and to just get it done after you get the car. I say this for a couple of reasons.

One, drive the car for just a wee little time, so you see what it feels like before the kit. Then put on the CAI, and you can appriciate the difference.

Two, there are better kits out there, where you can get more power then the Ford kit. Don't forget you need to get a tune too.
  • dogonedogone Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone put Raised White Letter tires on their 2005 Mustang GT? I'm dying to do this. I think it would look great and complete the retro feel of the car. It's hard to find them for the stock wheel size. Maybe they don't exist. Also, what kind of performance would I lose if I changed the wheel size to something smaller like is on the V6? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Thank you for the tip, I will look for some next time I am out! ;)
    I can't imagine you would loose any performance. I do know the tire size is programmed into the computer and directly affects the speedometer. I assume you have the standard 17" rim size that came on the 05 GT's and were thinking about going to a 16" that were stock on the V6's. I would think you would save a little bit of weight going with a smaller rim but such a small amount you would not notice any gain. Going with a smaller rim could also mean a smaller width of tire, less rubber on the road and reduction in traction. Just something to consider.
    I would have to agree. You are said to take only a 10th of a second off you 1/4 mile time for every 100lbs lighter you make your car.

From what I remember reading, the V6 rims are only a couple pounds lighter then the GT rims. You definitly will not notice it.

As lavrishevo said, you are putting less rubber on the pavement, which means less traction, which means you are loosing that performance handling. I personally would not go that route.
  • sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    what, are you serious??? are you saying take the mustang through a touch/brush wash??? go ahead. ruin your paint. im advocating touchless washes over brush/touch washes, plz understand this. If you take any color besides satin silver or performance white through a touch wash you will get swirlies; not sure about redfire or screaming yellow, but im pretty sure a touch/brush was will give you the swirlies

touchfree or hand only
    Hey Cobragt, correct me if I am wrong but I am under the understanding you are running an 05 GT with a supercharger and other bolt on's, headers, exhaust, and such. I am considering going this route before to long and am wondering how you like the supercharger? How many pounds of boost can you safely run on the stock engine? What kind of 1/4 mile and 0-60 times are you getting? Is there anything you don't like about the setup? Also if you don’t mine, how many HP are you putting to the wheels?

Daniel
    You got it. I 100% love the setup. I have a Vortech blower, running 10psi. A safe amount of boost for the stock engine? Hmmm...well, mine has been running fine, without a problem in sight. I do believe it greatly has to do with the tuning of the car. I've read reviews of 05 GT's running over 16 pounds of boost. I wouldn't go that high, but they claim its safe.
    The Saleen blower that is out, runs at 4-6psi from factory, unless you order a different pully for it. The Saleen is a twin-screw though and the Vortech is a centrifugal type supercharger.

Prior to getting the blower, (exhaust, headers,cai,tune,and 4:10 gears already in) I was running mid 12's, a best of 12.5.
    With the blower I was able to pull off an 11.3 in the 1/4 mile. That was my best. Good days, I'd say mid 11's. Unfortunatly, the track here has been closed for about 3 months now due to construction.
    Oh and I'm putting down about 465-475rwhp.
    Here is a link I think you might be interested in.

Alternative Auto
    what, are you serious??? are you saying take the mustang through a touch/brush wash??? ...

No.
  • 06mustanky06mustanky Member Posts: 10
    I wish it was just hypocrodria. The drivetrain vibrates so bad that the service manager described it as unbelieveable.

I drove it for two months trying to convince myself that nothing was wrong before i finally took back to the dealer where i recieved the above comment from the service manager.

I've probably had about 50 cars in my life, many new ones. I have never had one that the drive train rose to a level of awareness that it was there, like this one. The faster you go the worse it gets. You can't drive over 50mph without getting a serious vibration. It got worse as time went by.

The car looks good and has good power. If you had mine instead of yours you wouldn't be able to take off like a rocket or drive it as though it's a dream. The whine of the rear end would wake you up. :confuse:

The dealer has had it for three weeks and a ford engineer has come to help them determine what's vibrating that they can't stop.

There are other comments on the forums about these same problems. I guess with my luck and hypocondria, waiting to the 06 year model didn't help at all.

Hypocrondriacs are like that. I was the opposite. I thought it was my lack of time in the new car. I waited to late. You know, like the guy that had a heart attack but thought it was GAS, He didn't have it checked and now he's dead. :lemon:
    I'm sooo jealous.... :D Well maybe one day before to long I can save up the $$$ for that baby. Must be a blast to drive, if the GT is exciting as it is stock.
    I think a little ways back there was a post saying the Shaker radio was capable of displaying text from radio stations. I was going through my menu on my Shaker 500 and have yet to find any setting to enable this feature. Does it even exist? If so, any of you guys know how to enable it?
    I honestly haven't seen anything about that feature. I know the radio displays text from cd's like when you put in an mp3 disc as long as the mp3 files are tagged correctly.

Other than that, I don't think the radio dispalys things from actual stations. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Oh and L, yeah, its fun lol. Just save, you'll get it.
    Yes, it will display RDS data. You have to hold the menu button down for a few seconds. Then the option will appear on the display to turn it on or off. Press the UP/DOWN arrow beside the CD slot to make your selection then don't touch the menu button anymore until it returns to the radio station display.

You're welcome! :P
    Wow, I didn't know that, thanks for the tip! :D
  • dennisfrancisdennisfrancis Member Posts: 2
    I wrote about my top flying off while going down the highway on 1/5/06. I still don't have the car back from the dealer. I guess I will have to invoke the Lemon Law with this vehicle. In total, I have not had the car for over 11 weeks since the purchase in early Nov. Have to admit, I'm very disappointed in Ford as a company. This was my first and last Ford purchase.
  • tarheelertarheeler Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 auto v6. the first issue with the trannie appeared when i pulled out to pass at about 65mph and stepped on the gas, nothing happened except the rpms soared like it was in neutral. a few days later the car would not move when put in drive. finally got it going in low then shifted up. the dealer found a gasket with a chunk out of it and replaced some parts. car is running ok but still has a problem after you stop, it lurchs into gear after revving up.
    anyone else having this problem.
    Good link. :shades:
    Your problem seems far from normal. I traded in my 05 V6 auto with about 4000 miles on it for a 06 GT and never had any tranny problems. You situation is unique at least to my experiences. If the transmission does not act "normal" and perform without flaw in a sense it is totally unacceptable and Ford needs to know this. Don't let them get away with "quick" half fixes that don't truly eliminate the problem.
  • smeadows1978smeadows1978 Member Posts: 10
    I seem to be having the same transmission issue (2005 V6 auto with almost 11,400 miles). Maybe only 75% of the time do I have clean shifts, especially in the lowest gear, and its particularly bad after keeping the car in drive for long periods of time, stopping, and then starting again--like after long trips on the highway. I've had it to two different Ford dealerships in two different states and they say because they can't "replicate" the problem they can't fix it. I can't think this is a "normal" problem either, but I wind up wasting my own time when I take it to the dealership. Has anyone had a positive experience with Ford with respect to this problem? Does anyone have a good solution to the problem?
    Edmunds keeps track of the recalls and TSB's for the '05 Mustang:

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.do?step=tsb&year=2005&make=Ford&mod- el=Mustang&style=Deluxe+2dr+Convertible+%284.0L+6cyl+5M%29&zip=94530&synpartner=- edmunds

I would think this might be good to bring to the dealer if you're having one of these problems.
  • bobcathbobcath Member Posts: 13
    Have a very short-term buzzing or vibration under the hood only when I startup my '05 GT in the morning. Is this going to lead to a bigger problem later on?

Thanks.
    Short term buzzing or vibe...does it sound like metal against metal, or just a vibration?
This discussion has been closed.