Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• dodging1dodging1 Member Posts: 4
    I used to own a 2004 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7L V8 and consistantly got 15MPG city and 18 highway. I just got a new 2006 Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition Hemi and get 15 city and 17.76 highway. It has the MDS which cuts off 4 cylinders when under a light load. I couldn't be happier with the Hemi it has a lot more power and I almost get the same mileage.

Dodgin1
  • chillin669chillin669 Member Posts: 9
    Hmm 17.76 does not really sound all that great for the MDS. I was interested in that system because i was looking for a way to get a full size truck that got the mileage of the smaller trucks. From what i ihave been reading though it seems like most of the full size f150, dodge1500 and chevy silverado seem to get that kind of mileage on the highway without MDS. I know Chevy added a similar sytem to their trucks, but have not really found much usefull info on the "real-world" mileage of those trucks.
  • aardaraardar Member Posts: 2
    Just test drove 06 Mega Cab. Nice drive and power, with great room in back. Somewhat scared about the mileage. I have seen mileage posted for the quad cabs, however the Mega Cab I believe is on a 2500 frame, and I am worried the mileage will be much lower than what I seen posted for the quad cabs. Anyone have information about mileage on new Mega Cabs.
  • c130herkc130herk Member Posts: 2
    I have a Mega Cab with just under 500mi so far I am getting 16 mpg in the city. I haven't taken it out on the road yet so we'll see.
  • aardaraardar Member Posts: 2
    Was the Mega Cab mileage much worst at the beginning. I have been test driving one for two days now, and have put 100km on it, it right now has total of 260KM. My rough calculations tell me I am getting 10 mpg and the truck has a mileage reader on the ceiling and it is also indicating 10 mpg. I had a Chev 1500 4.8 before and I figure I was getting around 18 mpg. I really like the truck however if the mileage I get is around 10 mpg I probably won't buy it.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Is it a 4X4 version with the 5.7 liter HEMI? If yes, 10 MPG is about what you will get. The mileage will improve slightly with time, but do not expect anything past 12MPG, despite all the rosy figures you see posted.
  • c130herkc130herk Member Posts: 2
    My Mega Cab has the cummins TD and I was getting about 13mpg in the beginning. The mileage reader is telling me I'm getting 16.8 but my rough calculation are closer to 16. I have been told by many different people that mileage will improve with time. As always MPG will ultimately depend on the persons driving style.
    Just came from the Colorado Mountains pulling a 5000lb camper trailer and only got 8.8 mpg. Very disapointed at that number but it pulled 60mph up a steep 6% grade with no trouble.
    Is this a CTD truck? Auto or 6 speed manual? 2WD or 4WD? What year and body style?
    Actually, 11.5 MPG towing a 7000 pound trailer is not that bad, but not great either. More than the trailer weight, aerodynamics of the trailer plays a big part, as does the traveling speed. Mileage will be substantially higher at lower speeds. If he was doing 75 MPH all the way, I am not surprised.

I too would like the know the mileage figures on an '06 quad and mega cab 4X4 2500 with both 6 speed and auto. I am looking at these trucks seriously becuase there are some great deales out there - $ 10-11K off the sticker.
  • silverbullet06silverbullet06 Member Posts: 13
    I have owned a 2006 Mega Cab since Dec 05 with a little over 4000 miles on it. It is a 1500 Laramie, Hemi, 4X4, auto. The fuel economy is terrible!! 8.5-9.1 in town 11-12 on the freeway at 60-65 mph, if you baby it.

Anyone had air conditioning problems????? I have had two dealers check it out and they just tell me its all good! I live in central Cal and it is just starting to get warm 90-100 degrees F. The air on high and recirculating takes about 15-20 minutes to reach 60F at the vents. If you go on a trip over 30 minutes it will finally hit about 49F at the vent. I am going to eat the cost of having an independent air conditioning shop check it out, it was 100 here today.
    Thanks in advanced for any help!! Jeff
    Jeff, you are only confirming what an older gentleman in his late 60's told me about his 2004 Hemi quad cab 4X4: he simply could not get past 11 MPG no matter what! My '06 Silverado Z71 4x4 crew cab gets about 15-16 MPG, so I should be happy with that. And the A/C works well. I live in Florida, so I need a good A/C system.

Sounds like you may have an A/C issue with your truck. When you get into a hot vehicle that has been sitting in the sun for hours, it is a good practice to open several windows to let the hot air out while A/C is trying to cool off your truck. A good windshield sunscreen helps as well to keep the interior temperatures down when you park your truck on a hot day in the sun.

I am wondering: did Dodge increase the A/C capacity in their Mega cab pickups? The cab volume is much larger than in the quad cab, so maybe the present A/C system is marginal by design.
  • ttheriotttheriot Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Quad Cab and I have a simular problem, I have checked the temp at vents and found the passenger vents do no cool at all. Had it in the shop for 4 days and when I got it back it still had the same problems. They replaced controller and vent doors under dash but it didn't work. They want me to bring it back but I don't want them to work on it. I will bring it to another dealer first. On days when it gets to 90 degrees F it takes about 30 minutes to cool truck but passenger vents only circulate air in cab. No cold air always about 10 to 20 degrees warmer then drivers vents.
  • dubbsdubbs Member Posts: 2
    Hey Bob- Did you ever get an answer to your question on the 20" tires and gas mileage?
  • dubbsdubbs Member Posts: 2
    Hey dodging- Still happy with your '06 1500 Big Horn edition? I am looking at that exact truck (20" wheels, MDS, 5.7 Liter Hemi) and will probably make a decision in the next couple days. Would love to hear from you.
  • mmmiller53mmmiller53 Member Posts: 1
    My 06 Mega Cab is just approaching 4000 miles. I made a 1400 mile trip to northern Wisconsin with 4 adults, a dog, a load of luggage and stuff, and ran the AC for a good part of the trip. My mileage was 15-16 on three consecutive tanks of gas--about 400 miles on each tank. I was also running between 70-75 the entire time. My in town mileage is right at 12 consistently. Not near as good as my 2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew, but good given the extra size and weight.
    Just came back from pulling my trailer to Yellowstone and it did great. Only around 10 mpg pulling 5K lbs but plenty of power. Have had no problems and seems like the build quality is the best I've had (including Toyota). Have over 3k on it now and averaging 15 mpg city and almost 18 on highway. I also added a soft toneau cover that looks great and probably helps with wind drag.
    Go for it.

dodgein1
    1500 slt Big Horn Package with 20" rims and 5.7 Hemi.
  • stylin06stylin06 Member Posts: 2
    I pulled my new camper last week through the rolling hills in eastern Ohio. 7600 pounds and she did fine. My mileage was around 9 mpg. I was hoping it would be a little better, but it is what it is. With no load at 55 mph, I'm getting about 21 mpg. 65 mph I'm getting about 18. City driving drags it down to about 14. These numbers are with the Tonneau cover I bought. Without the cover, subtract about 2 mpg from all numbers. The tailgate is just a big air-dam without the cover.
    2006, 1500 Big Horn 5.7 with the 20" rims. I'm gonna cry when it's time to buy tires!!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Let's keep this to MPG reports... I'm moving the AC messages to the AC discussion: Dodge Ram: AC Problems

kcram - Pickups Host
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I've talked to a number of Hemi RAM owners (including three I know personnally), and none have reported fuel consumption that low. I had a company 4x4 RAM with the 5.7 for over a week and I averaged 16.6 around town. And that one had a plow frame on it.

Dusty
  • morganvmorganv Member Posts: 49
    Hi dustyk! long time been busy with other things around the farm and with kids. we have 3 rams with the hemi and the one 1500 i drive gets around 16 or so around town. On the highway it has gotten better than 18 and I think once we hit 20. the others are heavy duty models and they typically get around 12 or 13 but that's a lot of back and forth between lots and carrying stuff. When were towing a trailer and horses the big Ram gets around 10 to 11.

morgan
  • dodgeguy35dodgeguy35 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '06 QC 4x4 (Big Horn) MDS Hemi 1500 with the 20" wheels and 3.92s. I get a consistent 14MPG around town. On the interstate with the cruise set @ 75 I average about 17.5 depending on the weather/wind. With the cruise set @ 55-60 however I see an easy 18.5MPG+. These numbers include the occassional heavy right foot. On a side note, I also have 2 waverunners totaling ~1600lbs on the trailer that i just towed yesterday. The trip was a little over 100mi and I averaged between 60-70mph (never set the cruise) and averaged 15.4MPG there and 14.7MPG back. The truck rarely kicked down out of overdrive (which gives a clue as to the type of highway I was driving on) and it was 102F outside. Hope this helps. Chances are if you're looking for something with excellent mileage you won't buy a truck anyway. :)
  • autoodysseyautoodyssey Member Posts: 10
    I have an '02 1500 quad cab, 4.7 V8. Gets about 11 around town, about 16 on the highway. Am thinking about getting a Superchip or other type of chip. Has anyone had experience with these? Can/Do they improve gas milage?

Lee
  • ctassectasse Member Posts: 1
    What is the expected gas mileage dry and Towing ~8000 LBS
  • newcaraddictnewcaraddict Member Posts: 1
    I can not speak for the Cummins engine and Gas Mileage, however I just had the 1500 Mega Cab with 5.7 Hemi and MDS - the dealer swore to me that I would see 15mpg in city and 20 on freeway.. I averaged 11 in town, and 18 on freeway - this was dry - did not haul anything - returned the truck after two days - as I can afford the truck - but not the 300+ per month in fuel.
    Keep in mind that you were driving a fresh engine that wasn't broken in. Dodge motors are notorious for slow break-ins.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • pparamorepparamore Member Posts: 3
    I have a '01 3500 Cummins with 3.55 rear end and have been told that by intalling the Juice and Attitude by Edge that my power would increase and I should see increases in MPG. As this is a $900.00 investment, anyone have experience with these products??? Mine is NOT the HO diesel as it is an auto.
  • sirradiodudesirradiodude Member Posts: 10
    What kind of MPG can I expect out of a 2006 2500 CTD QC auto 4x4?
    I have heard milage increases significantly after 10K, any truth to this?
    Should I wait on a chip until after 10K breakin?

Will 2wd offer significantly better MPG?

THX
    Depends on your axle ratio as well... the 3.73 will do much better than the 4.10 unless you significantly upsize your tires.

The engine does improve over time, provided you work it. After the rest of the driveline gets its bearings (500-1000 miles), you need to load up the engine and really heat it up. The usual recommendation is to get a small trailer with at least 1000 pounds of cargo on it and do some hill/mountain work.

A 2wd will definitely get better mileage, thanks to a large weight savings and better aero (less frontal area).

kcram - Pickups Host
  • sirradiodudesirradiodude Member Posts: 10
    4wd is 300 lbs heavier... and taller (which i really dig)

mine will have 3.73 gears (standard), tires will most likely be stock for awhile.

I live on the gulf coast no hills or mountians....or anything to tow for that matter so I dont know what to do there.

How long should I wait for a chip?
    If you have no hills or trailers, throw about 1500 pounds of something in the bed and do some serious interstate highway running.

You probably don't want to use chips until the first oil change, just to make sure all is well with the engine.
  • austinstiguyaustinstiguy Member Posts: 13
    on the highway @ 70-75 mph i consistently get 20-22 mpg with the AC running. (not towing or hauling) mixed city driving is usually 15-17 (3.73 gears, automatic trans, all stock (not for long though!!!))
  • mongo65mongo65 Member Posts: 8
    Generally speaking, what is the mpg difference between the 4:10 and the 3:73. I currently have a 2006 4x4 cummings with a 4 speed auto and it turns around 2000 rpm at 70 mph. New engine not broken in yet. I am considering getting a 2006 4x4 Cummings with a 6 speed manual and 4:10 gears. What affect will that have on mpg? Also how much bigger do the tires have to be to make a difference. If I have the standard 265-70r 17 on there now and switch to 285s is that a big enough change? Thanks for the info.
    I'll save you a little trouble right away... you can't get the Cummins, 6-speed manual, and 4.10 gears. The 6-speed manual's ratios are lower, so the 4.10 was only made available with the automatic; otherwise you'd get terrible fuel economy.

The overdrive gear with the 4-speed automatic is 0.69, it's 0.79 with the manual. As far as larger tires, they will reduce your rpm pretty much by the same percentage factor as the increase in tire size.

For best economy with the Cummins, you want to be just above the torque peak - around 1700-1800 rpm.
  • mongo65mongo65 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for that information. Like I said before I have driven the Cummins with the automatic and turned around 2000 rpm at 70 mph, but with the 6 speed I only got to around 62-63 at 2000 rpm. I got 14 mpg around town and 17 on the hwy at 70-75mph with the auto so I was wondering what the net effect of the 6 speed manual with the lower gear ratios would be. I have heard in general terms that manual trannies get better mpg than automatics and found that to be true with my Tacoma I had. But wondered what would be the net of the manual vs. the auto would be. I know one thing, 1rst gear is one low gear! Thanks again for your help.
  • ramtough07ramtough07 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 quad cab 1500 with the 5.7L. I can tell because the fuel mileage starts to spike. A 4 hour trip home over hilly terrain which I make often (i'm in college) averaging 70 returns 20.8mpg.

The vehicle has 9k miles on it. I'd also recommend using premium, whereas 89 is required.

Keeping a very steady speed seems to do the trick.
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I currently own a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. It's a great pickup I love it. Today I was hauling about 500 lbs in the bed and the truck had me and my father in it. We averaged 20.6 MPG. I was very impressed, I went from my house to our business which is about 80 miles away from my house and the needle on the fuel meter did'nt even move. This truck rocks.
    Here are my best and worst gas readings.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

Best Gas Mileage: 21.5 MPG
    Worst gas Mileage: 7.9 MPG
    Average Gas Mileage: 17.5 MPG

What more could you want! 345 hp/375 lbs ft torque average of 17.5 MPG. ;)
  • edededskiedededski Member Posts: 5
    can anyone explain why i am going through heater cores .60,000 miles and in the shop now getting 3rd. other than that its the best truck i got yet. thanks for any help.
    You should post in the Dodge Ram: AC/Heat Problems discussion - you probably won't get much help here in the MPG discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • dean3169dean3169 Member Posts: 2
    I Love This Truck!!
    It is very nimble in traffic and has tons of power. I was getting 15-16 mpg in a small town stop and go. I change my oil at 2400 and went on a 400 mile trip avg speed 70 mph with an avg mpg of 18. I pulled a Tacoma 4X4 on a tandem trailer for 75 miles and avg. 16 mpg. This past week I went on a trip of 580 miles all on the interstate avg speed 75-80 mph, (I set my cruise at 75-78) and left it alone as much as possible. I had 3200 miles on the truck and I filled the tank until I could see the fuel about 2" from the edge of the fill nozzle. I averaged 20.8 mpg. I couldn't believe it.

I have been very happy so far. I plan to continue my "break in period" and then I have been considering a programmer, AFE air filter and +/- dual exhaust. Any thoughts out there?
  • zeniffzeniff Member Posts: 7
    Doesn't all this worry about gas mileage and owning a Dodge Ram seem like an oxymoron? If you wanted optimal gas mileage, you should have purchased a truck from a company that cared a little about those things -- gas mileage, pollution, etc. Check out these articles on Daimler Chrysler's thoughts along these lines:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119166

http://www.inform.kz/showarticle.php?lang=eng&id=147616

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6247371.stm?ls
  • 97dodgeram150097dodgeram1500 Member Posts: 2
    i am looking into the 2500 like a 03-05 with the hemi, 4 door and 4 wheel drive i would like to know the mpg on this truck only. THanks
    ...Dodge Ram MPG-Real World Values discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • rgilmanrgilman Member Posts: 2
    hey numb nuts:

I get ~10mpg with my new '07 and smile every time I fill this fine machine. Please, go jump off of a melting ice berg will ya?
    Not necessary. You can disagree without the name calling.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • jjn3jjn3 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '06 2500 Cummins 4wd with the 6 speed manual transmission. This is the third new truck with the Cummins I have had since my first '01 model. My '01 and '03 models were automatics and got great mileage on the highway while not towing. I am not happy with the rpm's my '06 turns at highway speeds. I generally drive 75 to 80 when not towing and this thing is turning upwards of 2400 rpm. It does best around 1900 rpm but that means I have to drive at 65 mph. I don't mind doing that when I am towing but it is a pain when empty. Does anyone know of a solution to this besides changing ring gears? If I do change the ring gears, what all is involved?
    Looking through your past posts the anti-Chrysler bias is clearly evident. Besides the cooments on the Smart Car, I could not help but notice that in the one article it was stated that, "Niether Ford's chief economist Ellen Hughes-Cromwick, nor, General Motors' chief economist Moustafa Mohatarem....questioned [Jolissaint's] assertions." Yet your criticism was leveled only at Chrysler.

Mr. Jolissaint's comments aside, it is a fact that the issue of global warming as well as the cause has not reached a consensus across the scientific community. And for good reason. The global warming alarmists have based their predictions on a modeling that has too many inconclusive or incorrect assumptions. In my opinion, global warming alarmism has reached the pious stature of a religion.

Since Chrysler, like any other automobile manufacturer, must play in the field of the free market system, as a company it cannot ignore the market forces that affect sales. All companies have had to respond to the pressure of increased economy. The fact that Chrysler makes a Mega Cab is not a neceesary indicator that they have no respect for the earth, as you submit.

It is also curious to note that the Mega Cab consumes no more fuel than 3/4 or 1 ton light duty pickup. In reality the Mega Cab brings more room to a light duty pickup configuration than any 3/4 or 1 ton version from Ford or GM, which I might add, will outsell the Mega Cab hundreds of times over, yet get gas mileage in the same range. Like many of those that hate the SUV, this leaves me with the impression that maybe what offends you so much with the Mega Cab is based on class envy more than any supposed concern about the earth.

Dusty
  • bigdave4269bigdave4269 Member Posts: 4
    Lets start with saying i pick up my 2500 hemi 4x4 slt 4.10 on thursday with 200 miles on it. I was told that the 2006 hemi had the (mds) system in it to get better fuel mpg. Well just found out that the 2500 doesnt come with this option. Any of you guys help me out on giving me any idea what kind of mpg i will get without any type of load on it? nobody seems to be able to give me a reasonable figure. Thanks for your time

dave P.s any mega owners be able to tell me first hand?
    The problem is the gearing on the new 6-speed manual (G56). Overdrive is a rather short 0.79:1 - by comparison, the 48RE automatic is 0.69:1. There's no factory changes you can make to improve your mpg - the rumor mill said AAM was working on a 3.42 diff for Dodge, but so far, no dice.

kcram - Pickups Host