Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• 98ddgram150098ddgram1500 Member Posts: 16
    No, a CAI at best would only give you +1MPG, IF that much. I have read where you could lose MPG because of the computer trying to adjust the fuel to air ratio.
    Your best bet is to go to full synthetics, and look at your tire size. Some are equiped with larger optional tires. Best to go back to the smaller, and skinner tires.
    Also, a tune up is in order. Plus, keep in mind, the smaller the motor and the bigger the the truck the lower the MPG. Sure its a V8, but its underpowered compared to a hemi. It has to rev higher and harder to do the same amount of work.
    If thats a standard you would get better MPG.
  • liny3liny3 Member Posts: 7
    when you say full synthetics are you talking about motor oil only??. I have to say I am on my 5 tank of fuel and I am only avg. close to 12 mpg. thats both local and highway. I have to think I am in need of a tune up. But I still think there is something not right. I have 17 " tires on the truck 35psi in all of them I think they are 245's. Anyway I love the truck just thought I could avg. about 14-15 mpg.

thanks for any suggestions
  • 98ddgram150098ddgram1500 Member Posts: 16
    You should join dodgeforum.com they have an entire section of people with the same truck and tons of threads regarding MPG.
    Full synthetics, I mean, have all oil, such as front differential, rear differential, transmission (if possible, some dodge transmissions will detonate with anything other than ATF4), and of course motor oil. But going from "Dino" oil, to synthetic could cause some slow leaks.
    Sounds like you have standard sized tires, I'd look at a tune up, and maybe your O2 sensors. There are many other tips and tricks, but you will have better luck at the forum I mentioned than here.
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    Unless you have a 2006 and newer RAM with MDS (Multiple Displacement System), 12 to 13 MPG is all your going to get on average. I have a 2007 RAM HEMI with MDS and I consistantly get 14 to 15 MPG city/highway combined. "But", I drive very lightly too to get this MPG. Your'e supposed to get a 20% increase in MPG with MDS which is about what I get over what you get. The MDS system works as it should.

Ski in TX
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I think the comment of 12-13 MPG on ALL 2005 RAMs and older is a little overstated. Although I've had people tell me they get "around" 13 average, I've also had people say they get better and worse than that. First, it is dependent on the motor (3.7, 4.7, or 5.7), transmission type, the state of tune and number of miles on the engine.

A good friend average 15.5 on his 2005 Quad, 4.7 4x4 automatic. Eighteen or better highway. I work with a fellow that has a 2004 Quad, 5.7 automatic and averages 15, and does about 18 on the highway. Others I've talked to, and still others that have commented here, are doing better than 12-13.

Just like my experience with the 4.7 in my Dakota, I have found that those with higher miles on the engine seem to be reporting higher MPG. Mommy Mopar seems to make her engines real tight. The 20 lb. piston ring pressure is the highest I know of in any current engine series, and way higher than the current trend (about 6 pounds). GMs are spec'd at 2 lbs.

I believe this is one of the reasons why Dodge trucks have a reputation for poor gas mileage when new, for not burning oil, and not having piston slap issues. This is just the reverse with GM truck motors. This was sort of reinforced just a couple of weeks ago when I talked to a man that had a 2003 5.7 with 170,000 miles on it. He claimed his total average was just over 17.5. He also said that his 5.7 uses not one drop of oil between oil changes (4500 miles). (Listen to a Chevy or GMC motor with 90,000 miles on it!)

I know a few that have had O2 sensor issues on older 5.7 RAMs and this could explain why some are not as good as others. At the same time, driving style is the predominate influence on MPG. When I had a 2004 RAM 5.7 for a week I did better than 17 in mixed driving with next to none on the highway.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • derbs24derbs24 Member Posts: 17
    I've owned them all (Ford, Chevy and now Dodge) and the best was the Chevy. As a life-long mechanic, I would also recommend a good tune-up to make sure everything's in top shape. I personally stay away from anything claiming better mileage. I've spent alot of money as a guinea pig over the years and have found nothing increase mileage like the advertising says it does. It does move product for those companies looking to make a buck off of you and I though!!!
    Keep it in great mechanical shape, drive it like your Mom would and that's about as good as it gets.
    My 2007 1500 2X4 w/ MDS get about 14 avg w/ 21,000miles. I was able to get around 17avg on a recent 3,000 mile trip w/ 3 kids, topper and luggage but it varied greatly due to outside temp.
    I drive a 1991 cavalier as a commuter to increase my "Fleet Average". ;)
  • dlb2002dlb2002 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500,360 auto,reg cab,long bed.Bought it new and love what I got.Driveing with a good name gas with stp additive I get between 18 to 20 miles to the gallon and the mileage dose not drop every much when pulling my 30 ft. travel trailer I have plenty of power to spare.Its all in the FOOT all in the FOOT.
    None of my Chevies ever got good gas mileage. My '71 with the 350 V8 was the worst. It's best was 13! The '93 with a 305 never did better than 16.

My son's '03 Ram 1500 with the non-MDS Hemi averages around 15.5. I have two friends with the Ram 4.7 motors and they usually do a bit better, especially on the road. The 2006 Ram I had for a week did quite well, I thought. I averaged slightly better than 17 in moderate combined driving.

Regards,
    Dusty
    I heard that the new 2009 RAM with MDS has a light that comes on when the MDS is functioning. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, Id like to hook up a light somehow on my 2007 RAM with MDS. Can anyone shed any light on how I might be able to hook up such a device??

Ski in TX
  • mboemmelsmboemmels Member Posts: 7
    i have 90k on it. synthetic blend 10-30w and completely stock everything, new plugs and air filter, cap/rotor and get 12 general hauling, 14 avg combination driving city and hwy and 17 best at 65 on the hwy for trips drops about 1 mpg for every 5mph i go over 65.
  • mek0123mek0123 Member Posts: 33
    My friend from work just got an '09 Ram Quad Cab. He bought it on a Friday and the following Wednesday, he was heading to Tennessee. He didn't really pay attention to economy during the trip there, but he did pay attention when he filled up in Louisville, KY during his return trip to Michigan. When he arrived back in Detroit, he had the cruise on 95% of the time at 75mph and according to his fuel economy computer, he averaged 21.4mpg. Coincidentally, when he filled up in Louisville, he dte (distance to empty) read 534 miles upon departure. He can't wait to hit the road again and limit his speed to 65mph. He may get 23mpg or close to it. How's that for MDS? He has nothing over the bed of the truck either, and he's got 20" aluminum wheels and the trailer tow package. He also stated that he had his front windows cracked for ventilation, blower set on low and the rear power sliding window was open. Nothing in the bed of the truck and no passengers. I thought it was impressive! My 2001 Grand Caravan ES with a 3.3L engine at 75mph won't get that kind of economy. That 5 speed automatic in the Ram helps too. 70mph he said he's turning 1600 mph which is excellent. (3.55 axle ratio).
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    I bought this 2007 MegaCab 1500 new and have driven it very conservatively since owning it. I run full synthetic 5w-30 in it and premium fuel. I keep the tires inflated to 70PSI. Well, let's just say that I won't be winning any Eco awards. My average city mileage has been between 8-10MPG and my highway mileage has been between 14-16MPG. I will say that this is a extremely heavy pickup though. Empty, the truck weighs just over 6500lbs with no one in it. It runs great, lots of power, but wow it's one thirsty beast.
  • fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    I have the exact same truck . I've put just over 25,000 miles on it the past two years. In traffic I try to drive fairly conservatively in traffic and I've averaged between 11 and 12 mpg city rush hour traffic in miami, and between 15-16 mpg driving hwy miami to atlanta. Note my rear end ratio is 3.73. Beyond the mpg I absolutely love the truck. There is no other truck on this planet with the rear cabin space and reclining back seat and storage behind seat.
    I might have missed part of the conversation but from what I understand, ALL HEMI 5.7 engines made for the 2007 truck year were MDS. I believe the MDS 5.7 HEMI started with the 2006 truck year.

Ski in TX
  • mboemmelsmboemmels Member Posts: 7
    I get 16 unloaded on fwy trips keeping within 65-75mph 14 around town mixed driving and 13fwy loaded with 4k lbs and 10-11mpg same load around town w/some fwy mixed driving for my firewood delivery business. this is common mileage (terrible). every smog tech will tell you the dodge trucks especially 5.2 is fuel rich across the board and falls in the middle to high polution range even when fully tuned up. there is a resistor that some guys put on the air flow sensor to trick it into thinking it's even richer so it leans it out a bit and then that improves mileage by 3-5mpg and still keeping it rich enough to maintain reliability. I think the air sensor is a piece of junk so an aftermarket on or this resistor would probably be a big help mpg wise. why doesn't someone take one of these trucks and make an entire package that will give you the most hp with the best economy for a grand or less! I'm talking, chip, air system, lubrication, thermostat, plugs, wires, and muffler or exhaust recommendation with a switch in cab for different driving situations. I select tow and bam! richens the fuel and changes timing and shift points to get more power and driveabilty then drop the trailer and hit fwy setting to lean it out and advance timing for speed and mileage. they only sold about 300000 of these vehicles from 97 to 02 I belive so you could make some decent cash on that!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The 1500 MegaCab is really a 2500 with a "1" on the door instead of a "2". The HD trucks did not use MDS, thus the 1500 Mega did not either.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    You are absolutely correct. The MegaCab 1500 5.7 Hemi was the only model not to have the MDS as a option. I don't see too many of these beasts running around.
  • majefskimajefski Member Posts: 2
    I can't confirn that the 2009 has a light showing when MDS is activated, but I can tell you that I added aftermarket exhaust to my 06 MDS and am now able to tell when MDS is activated. I made several runs from Houston to Dallas averaging over 20 MPG (one time, I averaged 23.9MPG). On a recent run to Waco from Houston (200 mile round trip) I averaged 21MPG on the way up and averaged 17.3 on the way back towing an auto-hauler trailer with a 300zx on the back with an extra set of wheels and spare parts in the bed (combined weight of around 6,000 - 7,000lbs). Normally I run about 16-18 in town though. The exhaust definitely made a difference though as I could tailor my driving habits to maximize the MDS feature. Sometimes I could drive 70+ and keep it in 4cyl mode, and sometime I could only drive 65. It all depended on wind resistance. But knowing when it was activated was the key. I would never have known without the exhaust.
    Also, I'd like to add something else. Aftermarket companies like to say that their products give more power and better fuel economy (and in some cases they do...), but I'd like to share my experiences. I've added a K&N filter, aftermarket exhaust, a Diablosport Predator programmer, and Royal Purple oil to my 06 Ram. Of all the changes I've made, the switch to Royal Purple oil made the greatest difference and was the cheapest. I gained between 3-4 MPG with the new oil.
    I know Royal Purple oil isn't cheap, but at least here in Texas, when you use RP, you get the first oil change and pay full price (around $90). They set your next oil change at 5,000 miles. When you come in 5,000 miles later for your next oil change, they change the filter only, reset the oil for another 5,000 miles, and charge you ONLY for any oil they have to replace due to engine usage. I haven't had to pay any additional during the second oil change yet in over 30,000 miles. So if you do the math, it all equals out to less than $30 per standard cheap oil change... plus, it adds to your MPG. I have a buddy with a new Challenger SRT8 that told me the same thing. He added RP oil and added around 4 MPG.
    I'm sure there are other high-quality oils that may give you even better MPG, but RP's oil change program made it the best value for me.
    Thanks Majefski, this is helpful. I average about 14 mph lately (hway and city combined) and I drive like and old lady which is sad to do when you have a HEMI under the hood. I sure would like to get over 17 MPG on average. I changed to synthetic oil (not royal purple) and have put in a K&N air filter is all. Didn't notice any changes in MPG or maybe? 1 at most on average. I'm running syn Kendahl right now but was with Mobil 1 before that. Not sure if Royal Purple is the ticket or not to increase MPG a few more??? Maybe thats the next step. Don't really want to mess the computer or exhaust at this time but if I did, what you would you suggest??

Ive noticed when I run the AC alot, mileage decreases by 1 MPG or so and when I run just regular gas (as opposed to mid-range) the mileage also decreases by about 1 MPG or so. No other issues with my RAM. Runs good and has been reliable.

Ski in TX
  • majefskimajefski Member Posts: 2
    If you're really that concerned with mileage, I'm not sure you'll ever really break even on the computer or the exhaust. I put on the exhaust primarily for the sound of it, and the programmer for the HP boost. If you go with exhaust, please heed this warning. I first had my exhaust dumped behind the cab, and figured out real fast that it was a mistake. I loved it on my F150, and it was great in 8 cyl mode...but when the MDS kicked on in the Dodge, it felt like the cab was vibrating apart, and sounded like a big rig with his exhaust brake on. I went with a Flowmaster 40 and had them run the pipes all the way out the back. Now an hear when MDS turns on and it's not obnoxious.
    I also noticed that on my 06 Ram, it specifically says not to run anything less than 89 in it. I have been running 93 in it since day one. if you run a low-grade octane, the engine computer has to compensate in such a way that you lose HP, efficiency, and could end up with engine deposits over time with the cooler burning fuel. I realize that higher grade fuel costs more, but it has the ability to give higher MPG also. Remember, the higher octane you run, the less your engine has to work to hold you at speed (because your engine is now producing more power). This translates into lighter pedal pressure, which means your MDS stays on longer.
    Is it cheaper? Who knows... I pay more for gas, and I get more MPG... All I know is that I like my numbers. Also, 93 octane was easier to get during the hurricane than 87 was.
    It was hard to tell if the programmer did anything for mileage, because I added the programmer and a new very aggressive set of A/T tires on almost at the same time. So, I'm sure the tires hurt my MPG, and the programmer probably helped a little. I'm running about the same mileage I was before the programmer and tire change. I should also point out that my Ram is 2WD. I will say for the programmer though... WOW!!! The throttle response was great. I'm still a little unsure of the shifting though. It felt a little strange to me at first, then a new program was introduced which made shifting a bit more pleasant. At full throttle, I can get 2nd gear chirps with those new heavier meaty tires. I would've melted my stock tires.
  • alanstevenalansteven Member Posts: 12
    hi.. i own a Ram 1500 4.7 Quad cab ,black,( 2002) I live in Kent U.K...it`s impressive results from the new Ram...although the difference in engine size ,I get a regular economy figure of 18-20mpg,with 3-5 passengers. I think U.K.gallons are measured slightly larger than U.S. gallons but as the Ram is a direct import I think it still is configured to U.S. gallons making it even more impressive. I also have a fibre cover that also adds to economy.What with build quality and being very reliable,with easy importable spares, I can order spares on the phone and they normally arrive in two working days,and forums like this ,owning an American car in the U.K. is a better deal than a "British car" (do we still have any?).I owned a import Ford Explorer for 10 yrs before,and it did not let me down once in 175000.00.miles..
  • morganvmorganv Member Posts: 49
    wE finally traded in our 2003 RAM in january for a 2009 same thing except this ones a 4x4 laramie. we just turned 14,000 after 9 months and already we can see this trucks doing better than the 03. around town i'm averaging 16-17 with some weeks getting in the high 17s. weve taken it on several road trips and averaged 22.4 on the last trip of 635 miles. thats driving between 65-75 mph by the way. on one trip pulling a single horse trailer i got 19.2 on country roads. the 2003 best was just over 20 on the highway. this 2009 is one sweet truck. it rides better than any of our ford or lincoln cars and handles better too. if we didn't need a one ton truck on the farm wed buy another 1500!!!
    I run a 1500spt..2002..4.7..as a rule I normally get around 14mpg around town and about 18-20mpg on a run.that does sound very impressive ..with gas in the U.K. at approx $10.00 a gallon it would be a good idea to upgrade..luckily my annual mileage is only 9,000mls..the reliability and build quality of U.S. motors make buying them a good option over rice burners(am I allowed to say that.?)....
  • wisconsindavidwisconsindavid Member Posts: 1
    We just recently bought this rwd ram 1500 for 6k, with 85,000 on the odometer. It runs great, gets about 15mpg avg and seems very sound. The purchase price will allow a lot of room for repair and gasoline, in comparison to purchase of a new ram truck. This is my first dodge pickup and so far love the performance, style and power. Anyone have best advice for an inexpensive add-on to help mpg (if one exists). This came with a drop in K&N filter. Thanks
    Inexpensive add-ons?? There aren't any there Hoss. Cold air intake, pipes, control unit, etc. will increase both HP and MPG but none are cheap. Best thing you can do put good gas in it and drive it lightly, thats your best bang for you buck.

Ski in TX
  • judgejustinjudgejustin Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone help me? I have an 07 1500 MegaCab with the 5.7 Hemi auto trans 4X4. 69,000 miles. I have put 3500 miles on it since I got it. I am getting 8.5 to 9 mpg town and 10 - 10.5 hwy. I don't drive crazy am very careful have never had this bad before even when I had a V-10 years ago it wasn't this bad. Can anyone give me any suggestions? Please anything.
    The 07 Mega 4x4 is a BIG truck. I have an 07 quad cab two wheel drive and only get 15 mpg (1/2 Hway - 1/2 City) on a good week. Mine has the MDS, I dont believe the Mega does so 10 MPG may be all it gets. Sounds a bit low to me though, You should be in the 12 to 14 range I'd think overall.

Try: Mid range 89 octane, cheap 87 will get you lower MPG. Change the plugs if they havent been done for over 30K miles (expensive). Running the AC will make it run 1 less MPG too or at least mine does.

Let us know if anything improves.
    HI..I agree with stanoski...Higher octane does improve mileage..I have a 4.7 in U.K. and it does approx 10-12mpg even after english conversion(+10%)under inflated tyres can make huge difference..as does carrying loads..open truck beds..a/c might need re-gassing/turning down a notch..I dont use my a/c..(it does get hot in the U.K....ha ha ..)the back slider is fine....hope it helps..regards Alan
  • 70dodge70dodge Member Posts: 2
    Got 15 mpg around town which is right on the money with the recurring gas mileage meter. Did 10-11 towing a 28 ft travel trailer. Havn't done a good solo highway run but I should be able to knock off 20 mpg.

I tach 1800 rpm @ 60 mph solo.

I tached 2500 rpm in 4th gear while towing.
    Have a dealer check this out. It might need routine maintenance, or you could have a punky O2 sensor or something like that. My son put a scanner on his '03 Ram 5.7 and even though he never got a check engine light, he thought the voltage was off on one sensor. Replaced one of the O2 sensors and his gas mileage went up 2+ miles per gallon.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • 4jenks4jenks Member Posts: 1
    I'm hoping someone can help answer my question, quickly because I have an opportunity to purchase a Dodge Ram and don't want to miss out.

Does anyone have a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 3/4 NEW HEMI??? Please fill me in on your gas mileage.
    What about the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi???

Thanks for any advice!!
    edited June 2010
    I have a 2-wheel drive 2010 Ram Quad 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi, 5sp automatic, 3.92 Limited Slip Differential with 20" wheels (Big Horn package). This truck has a curb weight (unladened) of 4945 pounds. My to-date calculated average gas mileage is 17.71 with a weekly average of 90% around town and country roads, 10% expressway. My daily commute to work is only 4.1 miles one way.

NOTE: I do not rely on the vehicles fuel consumption display. So far it has proven to be off by as much as one-half mile per gallon.

My lowest trip mileage was 15.34 towing two ATVs and camping equipment in hilly terrain with an average speed of 74.3 MPH. On the return trip, same route, same weight, I got 17.82 MPG but kept the top speed at 65 MPH.

I haven't hit 4000 miles yet, so the engine and drivetrain are still breaking in. This truck pulls 3400 pounds like there's nothing attached to the truck at all!!

Regards,
    Dusty
    I should add that I had the air conditioning on both ways.

Filled up this morning and my trip mileage was 18.4 and it matched the EVIC display (18.4). That's the third time out of ten fillups that the display agreed with the actual. No expressway driving on this tank.

Based on what I'm being told by acquaintances with other trucks, the 2010 5.7 with 390 hp appears to be the equal in fuel consumption of any other truck regardless of engine with the exception of the Tundra, by about 0.5 to 0.7 MPG better.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Filled up in Webster, NY, some city driving, 9 miles of four lane expressway. headed south on NY 96 to Ithaca, New York. Headed back on route 89 northbound. State route speeds are 55 MPH, except on RT96 and RT89 south of Waterloo, much of it is 40 or 45 MPH. Including 31 miles of around town driving, total for this trip was 20.6 MPG (measured). Had the air conditioning on for the full trip. Anyone familiar with this part of western New York State and routes 96 and 89 will know that these are not flat highways! Just turned 5000 miles.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • obrut69obrut69 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I have an 07 Quad Cab Hemi and I get any where from 18 to 19.5 on the hwy and 13 to 15.5 around town. Two things I have done to help is I put a cover on the bed and added a cold air intake. Now, I have big advice on the intake. Do not run out and buy the K&N. Order online or go to summit racing and get there version. I think for 07 Hemi the part number is SUM-F1112. It is 288.00 vs the 339.00 for the K&N and the best part is they are the same. When I say the same I mean the same. I paid the 288 plus some tax and when I got home and opened the box I had a cold air intake made by K&N.

My truck is a 2wd so that makes a big difference compared to your 4x4. Is your Hemi a Magnum or just a regular Hemi? I think the Magnum hemis have 16 spark plugs 8 of which are 30k mile plugs, meaning they needed to be replaced 39k ago based on you mileage.

Good luck

Chris
  • armyman6564armyman6564 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    so far i've gotten around 470 miles doing 75 on the highway at 1900 rpm with 87 octane. its got a 3.27, 20 in rims with full size tires and a 27gal tank. in the city i get about 350. i love this truck.
    Hi Armyman,

I think you'll find that your Ram has a 3.21 axle ratio. The available ratios in the 2009-2010 Ram 1500s are 3.21, 3.55, 3.92, and 4.10 (RT only).

Did the twenty-inch wheels come from the factory as a package, or were they after market? With that axle ratio and twenty-inch wheels, that 5.7 in your truck must be turning real slow RPMs at any speed.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Now at 7014 miles, last three tanks, mathematically calculated (not relying on the EVIC) were 17.4, 18.01, and 18.04. Total average to-date is 17.67. Most driving were on country and suburban roads and streets; hardly any expressway driving. Seems to get slightly better gas mileage on 89 octane and noticeably performs better. For the last three tanks, the EVIC told me I was getting 0.20 miles per gallon better than I actual did.

This compares very favorably to my '03 Dakota Sport Club Cab, 4.7 with automatic and 3.55 LSD. At this mileage the Dakota was giving me 16.4 MPG average. So it looks like I'm actually doing better with the Ram. However, the Dakota was much snappier off the line.

Regards,
    Dusty
    First road trip of any real distance. Took my daughter from Rochester to Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, PA, via Route 15. Quite a bit of hilly terrain, kept to the speed limits all the way, including the many towns along the way. Approximately 75% highway, 25% local traffic (city) mix.

Rochester, NY, to Gettysburg, PA, averaged 20.4. Had rain most of the way and four road construction slow-downs.

Gettysburg back to Rochester, got 21.7 on the tank.

These were computed the old fashioned way, using gas slip (gallons) and pencil and paper. The EVIC readings were 0.20 MPG off going to Gettysburg, 0.30 coming back.

Not bad considering the mountainous geography.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • bigdave4269bigdave4269 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2010
    Wow! Must be nice i average about 14mpg for all around trips. I have a 2500megacab. 4x4
    .5.7 hemi and 410 rear end. I have had no luck getting better milage.
    Well I have a 2007 1500 megacab 4X4 with the 5.7. I only get hi 9s and sometimes around 10 or 10.1 when in town and very lucky sometimes it is only 8.8 or 8.9. Best on the highway is 12.3 ever. I got it with 65,000 miles and that is all I have ever been able to get. I live about 10miles from town so it is killing me. I love the truck and the room but I go through a tank and a half a week. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I do not drive crazy either, easy accelerator no sudden stops. Never gotten this bad of mileage out of anything. Granted I always had diesels before but this is a nightmare. I also check the computer by hand it is very close not always perfect but the numbers I posted are confirmed.
    I had not seen the replies to an earlier post I put out to this same problem. For some reason the e-mails had not gotten through. Going to try a couple of things will post back and let you know what I do and how it works. Thanks guys for letting me know I just hadn’t seen them yet. Also not sure how to tell if I have a regular Hemi or a Magnum. I didn’t even realize there was a diff engine.
    You have a very BIG truck there Hoss. Mega + 4X4 + No (MDS) I believe on your model will only get you 10 mpg. I have an 07 + Quad and 2X4 + 3.92 gearing and drive like I have an egg on my gas peddle and only get 14.5 mpg. Looks like your getting what its made to bro.

A change of spark plugs / air filter may help (if its been 30K+) since your last change outs but at $400 (+or-) to do it, it will take a lot of extra mileage to make it back up. The 09s & 10s get better mileage than the earlier models by the way and increased horsepower too..
    Yeah. I wouldn't expect much in gas mileage from a MegaCab. I don't know what they weigh, but I suspect with four-wheel drive they're around 6000 pounds. My '10 Ram 1500 two-wheel drive is 5156 pounds.

My son bought a used '03 Ram 1500 two-wheel drive conventional cab, short box with the 5.7 (no MDS). He seemed to get no better than 15.5 or so. After a year he had a check engine light come on and traced in down to one of the upstream O2 sensors. After replacing the sensor his gas mileage jumped to over 17 MPG. I talked to a Dodge technicial who said he finds the O2 sensors on older 5.7s go out of range after they get 60,000 or so miles on them. Might be worth anyone with an older Ram to check out.

Starting in 2009 the 5.7s got fuel shutoff besides the MDS. This shuts off fuel to the injectors during periods when the vehicle is in the deaccelleration mode.

By the way, just for comparison the honest Chevy/GMC and Ford owners I talk to indicate gas mileage in the range of 18-20 on the GM 1500s, to 14-18 on the F-150 series. Even if I was getting less, the power from the new 390 HP 5.7s just blow the Fords and GMs away.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • lordwaylordway Member Posts: 1
    armyman6564 - The thread is "MPG"...were you trying to say you get 17mpg on the highway and 13mpg in the city???
  • big_trucksbig_trucks Member Posts: 1
    I'm in process of purchasing a 2003 RAM 1500 SLT with the 5.7...
    been looking at different websites for MPG and have read anything from 11mpg to 17mpg. I know it's a large engine and there are modifications for some models that can be made. Anyone have an honest range of MPG for this truck? or anything I can do to help out the MPG?
    Thanks!!
    I would suggest looking more at the 11mpg. My brother has an 03 quad 4x4 he gets 11 in town and 13 hwy. I have an 07 mega cab and get 9 in town and 11.5 hwy. As far as mods the only thing I haven't tried is a cold air intake. Just haven't been able to swing the money not knowing what it will do. Other than that nothing. I have had any type of dodge V8's and V10's and Ford gas engines and Ford Diesels. The Hemi is the best gas by far but the down fall is the fuel they require. I am unfortunately having to look at getting out of my mega cab and head back to a diesel with the gas prices on the rise again.
  • dodgeowner2500dodgeowner2500 Member Posts: 1
    i used to own a 98 dodge diesel an just bought a 2010 mega cab diesel averaged 18 to 22 miles per gallon highway miles. the new truck mileage sucks, 14 to 15 is the best i get in town as low as 10 is this normal. If it is is there a way to fix this. If not normal what did dodge do to mess up the cummings diesel
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    I have an '09 Mega cab, HEMI, not diesel. This truck will get 20MPG+ on the highway, but town driving is poor. I have noticed that it goes into 4 cylinder mode when cruising in the suburbs, and stays in that mode by downshifting on small rises in the road - rather than cycling back into 8 cylinder operation.
    As to your new diesel, nonhighway driving in combination with winter/cold conditions will kill any vehicle mileage. It's not just the extended warmup time, but fluids are thicker - axle grease, etc. - so the engine works harder in colder weather. I have found that my truck coasts surprisingly well, so whenever possible I let off the gas early and coast to stop signs and red lights. The HEMI, like most new vehicles, shuts off ALL fuel flow during coasting, so coasting to a stop can make a big difference
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Big part of the reduction in fuel economy is the injection sequence. The 12-valve mechanical and first 24-valve electronically injected engines delivered just one shot of fuel to the cylinder. Starting with the 2003 engines, this changed to a multi-shot sequence to improve emissions and reduce combustion clatter. You now get a small shot of fuel to set the cylinder, the main injection for combustion, then another small shot.

This was acknowledged to use more fuel, but the improvements in emissions and noise were deemed reasonable trade-offs. I had a 1996 12-valve and I had to shut it down at drive-thru speakers... my 2005 isn't much louder than a gasoline engine at warm idle and I can easily be heard without the need to turn off the engine.

In response to the fuel economy claims, Dodge began offering a 3.42 axle ratio which helps some over the 3.73 and 4.10. With the next engine upgrade (likely to take on the revamped Ford and GM diesels), you may see Dodge match the competition with axles as numerically low as 3.21... this allows the engine to turn much slower in most situations and allows the torque to move loads (instead of needing the more aggressive axle ratios to multiply torque output).

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host