Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Owners: Meet the Members

13»

Comments

• bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    My 1st question would be do you live in ice & snow contry? I have an 06 Limited and love the VSC & Trac Control--but--we live in Missouri and it does come in handy on the cury and snowy roads. I tend to drive "faster" than I should--the power of the Limited takes this 62 year old back to his youth! I say for the $600 get it if ya live in snow country or you also have a tendency to "Mario Andretti" around the curves! Love our Avalon--it is a machine!! One thing--make sure to chk with your local Michelin dealer about tire pressure---mine said use 40 lbs in the 215/55/17 low profile tires--not the 32 lbs on the door seal ID plate---he said tires will definitely last longer. I know you'll love the Avalon---faster than aBMW--quieter than a church, seats more comnfortable than your sofa and built like a tank! It also helps to get an "honest" 26 MPG in combo town & country driving---probably would be better if i didn't have a "led foot!!" We'll be taking a trip soon and I expect 30 MPG + on the trip. I use 89 Octane which is 10% Ethanol. Hope this helps! My email is fishing9209@aol.com and email me if you have any more questions! Bob
  • reitsterreitster Member Posts: 2
    I have had by 06 Limited for about a month after trading in a 2000 Camry. My ez pass tag has not been working through the windshield although it still works if I hold it up through the sunroof. I'm thinking this might be attributable to the extra acoustic insulation that is supposedly on the interior of the LTD's window glass. I've since ordered an external tag....but wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue.
  • andrejakandrejak Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 Avalon Limited and no problems with EZ Pass up here in New Hampshire
  • murph777murph777 Member Posts: 1
    I too have an '06 Av, Ltd. Fabulous car. You spoke of body side moulding. Interesting. I'm really concerned with the "new look" on cars with doors waiting for dings. How does it look and did a Toyota dealer do it?
    Hi Murph: yes, I had the body side moldings installed by the dealer. They look great! Another point of interest. Talked to our local Michelin dealer as i wanted to make sure i had the proper PSI in the tires--car data plate calls for 32 PSI--he said NO--should be 40 PSI--rotated, kept properly inflated and balanced--they'll last 80K miles +--hope this helps!! What color did you get? I got Silver Pine Mica.
    Bob
  • jondjond Member Posts: 43
    Just bought a new 2006 Avalon Limited. About to take a long trip. Do I need to be concerned about the break in period where the manual says not to drive for extended periods at the same speed until you have 2000miles. Is this necessary? Any experiences?
  • b1gatorb1gator Member Posts: 12
    I'm Brian and I own a 2005 Limited. I have had my share of frustration with the navigation system. However, this car is one of the most roomy, fast, quiet,and smooth running of any car I have ever owned. We traded in a 2000 Camry.
    :)
  • fuzzymanfuzzyman Member Posts: 5
    I'm John and I just purchased a 2006 Limited. I am also concerned about the Engine Break-in Question posed by jond.
    John: Vary the speed--don't stay too long at any one speed--I took mine from stop to over 80MPH--some 30MPH--some 50 MPH--etc.--I just kept varying the speed. Its hard not to "give her the gun"--what incredible machines these Avys!! I got Silver Pine Mica--awesome color--got body side moldings and door edge guards--they work!! Enjoy your Limited!
    Bob
  • niteoneniteone Member Posts: 41
    could you tell me where you purchased the door guards?
    niteone: I got the color keyed door edge guards, body side moldings, splash guards, window vents, tinted windows and splash guards installed at the dealership, I didn't get color keyed splash guards--just figured another area to get chopped paint & dings on---I've seen color keyed splash guards on other Avy's---look great--but----as they are close to the ground they get chipped and dinged. Hope this helps!
    Bob
  • jcouzjcouz Member Posts: 1
    Brian, what type of problem did you have with the Nav system? I'm about to buy an Avalon and was wondering how well the voice activation feature works? My son has an Infinity and his Nav system seems to understand all the primary code words. Thanks, John
  • steve326asteve326a Member Posts: 58
    My Name is Steve, from MA. I'm a retired 48 yr old and awaiting a small settlement very soon. All my adult life I've driven mostly GM cars, the latest a 90 Celeberty Wgn w/ a modified eng. It's been a good car. BUT, I am now ready for a "Real Car"! A few years ago, I got to ride in a 98 Avalon XLS. I was like "WOW". I haven't to this day forgot that. I swore from that day on that if I ever got the opportunity to get one, I will. Although I can't afford a newer Avy, I have researched 4 candidates ranging from 96-97. One of them has very high mileage(over 200k) but I hear 200k is like 100k on a GM in comparison. Some of the other candidates are 150-180k. You can't find an Avy in New England in good shape for less than 5k. I found ones in NJ, VA, & FL for between 2900-3900. It's worth the 400 in gas to go to FL and back if necessary to save 2k. Of course if anyone one this forum who lives in reasonable distance wants to sell me their 96-97 XLS for the same range of the candidates found, I would like to talk to you. Be advised though that I have a few prerequisites. 1 a bench seat w/ shift on columm. 2- CD player. 3 full maintanence records w/ good carfax history. I prefer any color but green but will still consider it if other conditions are met. BTW 3900 assumes less than 100k mileage. Looking forward to being an Avy owner VERY SOON! I'm counting the days.
    Thanks,
    Steve :)
    jcouz: Read the Forums about the Nav System--its a JOKE----sorry I got it--same with Remote Start and Laser Cruise ( unless you're in an area with little traffic!) I use my manual cruise more than laser cruise. The Nav Syste is antiquated 20th Century technology. TRY TRY TRY it before ya buy it!!!! Avy is a SUPER car--30+MPG at 75 MPH and I get 27 MPG running around the Ozark hills! Body side moldings are a MUST--they work and for $150 you'll be glad ya got them! Good luck!
    Bob
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Sounds great that the problem was solved, now remove plugs from other doors too.
  • krekre Member Posts: 2
    YES ! That's the ticket. For some reason they left the drain plugs in the doors. If you look along the bottom edge of the door there is a black plastic trim piece. At the front there is a small round plastic plug, remove it. Also another one at the other end of the trim. Just use a screw driver and it will pop out easily. When I pulled that plug about a quart of water drained out!
  • fadilfadil Member Posts: 21
    I just bought a new Avalon 07 from Crown Toyota- Lawrence (Kansas). After several email messages and several phone calls the deal was reached. I went from Illinois on seven hour trip to Lawrence. To my great surprise, a young internet manager (whose name I can't mention here)made my buying experience a pleasurable adventure. No games, no tricks. I felt like I was buying a TV.I was very impressed with this young gentilmen service and treatment.
    Good job, Crown Toyota.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Congratulations & enjoy your new car. I was interested in your post because others have recently mentioned that Crown Toyota in Lawrence, KS offers one of the best deals in the country on Toyota's extended warranty plan (typically for 75,000 or 100,000 miles and for 6 or 7 years duration). Did your salesman happen to give you any information on the cost of these plans for your Avalon?
  • rogerdougcanrogerdougcan Member Posts: 12
    Hi Bob: I have read several of your posts in the Avalon discussion groups and feel very informed by your comments.

I just turned 50 and I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I traded in my 2006 Honda Ridgeline for a new Avalon, right before Christmas. This is my second Avalon, and it is a 2007 XLS Titanium Metallic with Navi, upgraded JBL stereo, traction control, rubber floor mats (front and back), trunk liner, mud flaps, 3M treatment for rock chips, extra undercoating and block heater. My previous Avalon was a 2000 XLS with all available options, except Navi. So far, I have not noticed significant differences between the two cars, except for the engine, which is more powerful but also quieter in the '07 version. The trunk seems a bit smaller in the '07, but I appreciate the practicality of a full-sized spare on an alloy wheel, which takes up some of the trunk space. I like the reclining back seats and flat back floor, which was a key feature for me for family trips with my two offensive lineman sons. The navigation system has taken some time to learn, and it is not user friendly. It often suggests busier, less efficient routes than what one would expect. I think I blew that call! I will be adding aftermarket Bluetooth and MP3 capability, but am holding off on the backup camera for now. I have read previous comments about the "floaty" ride, but when you drive on bad Canadian roads all year (potholes, frost heaving, tar strips, etc.), you appreciate the softer ride. I had no problems with traction on snow and ice in the past 2 weeks (kept tire pressures at 35-37PSI as recommended in another Edmunds forum). I may increase it to 40PSI after reading your posts.

I paid a little extra for a 5-year, 120,000 km extended warranty, but the dealer took $1,000 off as loyalty discount, added 3M treatment, protection package, rubber mats and trunk liner at cost and free oil changes for as long as I own the car, plus I negotiated a sweet deal on my trade-in.

I am interested in anyone's opinion on whether a moon roof deflector worth it? I haven't tried one before and an debating its practicality.

Also do you have any picture on what the body side moldings look like on the Avalon? I can't seem to find on the web.

BTW, the rubber mats are essential for drivers in snowy regions to keep the carpets clean.

Roger
    Hi Roger----love Canada--go to Saskatchewan, Lac La Ronge and Besnard Lake fishing every June!! So I don't forget--DO NOT inflate your tiores to 40 PSI---35 PSI is perfect--I talked to our local Michelin dealer and he said--in no case go above 37PSI. Ride at 35 PSI is fine and MPG improves! i have the body side moldings and they look GREAT--better yet--they WORK!! I don't have any pics. They do not detract from the lines of the car. I also have the pin stripes and color keyed door edge guards. Love our 06 Limited---a big Lexus at 1/2 the price! I do not have nor do i feel I need the moon roof deflector--I want the breeze! I also had the dealer install side window deflectors--they allow you to have the window cracked w.o having the wind blowing right in your face. Did you get a Toyota Extended Warranty? I got the 7 year 75K Mile "0" Deductible Bumper-to Bumper Warranty for $695 from www.toyotaofgreenfield.com (413) 773 5455 (Troy)--I also understand there's a dealer in Kansas who also "discounts" the warranty--and --they ARE a Toyota warranty. I know the reference to the Kansas dealer is somewhere in the Posts--just not sure where--maybe someone will read this and remember. I do agree about the Nav System--it is a JOKE and I know Toyota has taken a lot of heat ovber its user unfriendliness! I love the ride and crypt quietness--test drove an infiniti G35--thought I was in an Army 2 1/2 ton truck! All the best Roger and I hope you enjoy your Avalon as well as we do! Happy New Year!
    Bob
    Hi Bob: Thanks for the update on the tire pressure. I will stay at 35PSI. I think I am going to check out the body side moldings, pin stripes and door edge guards at my dealer, since I am concerned about door dings and rock chips. It is funny my salesman never mentioned those last 2 options, but he did mention the body side moldings. I did get the Toyota extended warranty for 5 years and 120,000 km, which includes roadside assistance. It was available through my dealer and not too much more, about $500. Too bad about the Navi, but everything can't be perfect, right? I also checked out the Infiniti G35 and the Lexus ES350, but did not like either car. There are many used Infinitis for sale in my area, which usually means something is up with the car. On the flip side, there are hardly ever any used Avalons for sale in this area. I think we made a good choice. I also fished in the Lac La Ronge area many years ago and had a blast. In 2005 I fished for salmon and halibut at a floating fishing lodge in the north end of the Queen Charlotte Islands, off the west coast and caught my limit. Cheers, Roger.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    "So far, I have not noticed significant differences between the two cars, except for the engine, which is more powerful but also quieter in the '07 version"

Definately more powerful, but I swear that the 3.0 in my '03 was quieter than the 3.5 in my '06.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Roger---my body side moldings were $150 and door edge guards $65. My son, 40 years old loves the Infinit G35---said that's what he's going for when he trades-in his Maxima. You'll have to get over to Lac La Ronge again--great walleyes and lake trout! I use my Nav sparingly and I told my dealer it $2,900 and the Remote Start, $499 we a TOTAl waste of $$$ I LOVE the Laser Cruise---it works PERFECTLY!! I keep my tires at 35 PSI and I checkk them every 2 weeks. Also have Michelins on wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd and same PSI in them. I wish the front end had more protection--too many "little" rock chips on a car with only 7,800 miles and not a year old until the 26th of this month. All the best and I'll watch for you the Forum! I'm retired Air Force and Air Force Civil Service--spent 13 years in England spread over 1969-1973. 1988-1993 and 1999-2002--loved it! Cheers!!
    Bob
    Bob
    Hi tjc78: What I remember of the 2000 Avalon XLS engine was that it was super quiet in the lower RPMs, but howled when I punched it to merge on to a freeway, say above 5500 RPMs. It could be the higher HP and torque in the new 3.5 engine means the power is available at lower RPMs, so less noise.
    Roger
    Bob: Thanks for the prices on the moldings and guards. To protect against rock chips, take a look at the paint protection film made by 3M. It is very popular for new cars in Canada. Here is the link to view the product: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer- /
    I have it on my new Avalon, had it on my Ridgeline and my son has in on his 2006 Corolla. It really cuts down on rock chips, especially if the highway maintenance crews use small gravel for icy roads. It is clear and they can install in on the front bumper, front fenders, front of hood, rocker panels and side mirrors.
    I work in the oil and gas industry in Canada and USA, with a focus on shallow gas and coalbed methane (I have worked on CBM projects in WY, MT, UT, ND, CO, KS, KY and OK).
    Roger
    Thanks Roger--appreciate the info and I'll check into the website! I had the dealer do my body side moldings and door edge guards--tht way if something is wrong-they fix it! I think they're doing a bunch of that kind of work in NE Wyoming around Gillette. I go to my buddy's place in Gt Falls, MT and then we leave from there for Canada. Keep in touch and all the best!
    Bob
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    I can agree with that, you have to rev the 3.5 a lot less than the 3.0. However, it still has a ton of power over 3500 RPM.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Roger--got 2 quotes to install the #M Coating----one for $575 and one for $550. Getting it done in 2 weeks! Thanks again for the info!
    Bob
    Roger--got 2 quotes to install the 3M Coating----one for $575 and one for $550. Getting it done in 2 weeks! Thanks again for the info!
    Bob
    Bob: No problem, glad to help. I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. I only wish this product was out there sooner for my previous vehicles, as it really keeps the front edge of the hood, front bumper and side mirrors free of rock chips. It is a lot cheaper than a paint job every 3 - 4 years. Cheers, Roger
    tjc78: I wound it up on the freeway today, while keeping it in fourth gear, and it only started to howl at 6500 rpms. What a great engine. I assume it is the same engine (or close to) the one in Lexus ES350, RX350 and IS350.
  • krekre Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Avalon that is getting water in the trunk. I took it to the body shop and they were able to eliminate some of the problem by removing the rear bumper cover and sealing the bolts that attach the bumper assembly. But there is still an annoying small abount of dripping going on that I cant figure where it is getting in. I am beginning to think it is getting in via the rear window seal and somehow working its way along the top of the trunk cavity or trunk lid and then drips into the left side of the trunk and down into the the cavity at the leftmost of the trunk. I've removed all the floor coverings so they dont get wet but I need to solve this, any ideas will be helpful.
    Roger--I know you're an "oil man"--but--I think the oil companies, car manufacturers, parts stores and body shops are all owned by the same people!! Just like jewelers own all the watch battery manufacturers!! The 3M product should save a bunch of $$$$ on front end painting! Get the body side moldings--you'll be glad you did----same with door edge guards!! because no matter how far away you park in big parking lot--"Ole Murphy" will park right next to you!!
    Bob
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A post was moved to a discussion where it is better placed. Here's the link: ogunba, "Toyota Avalon - Engine Questions (Check Engine Light, etc.)" #248, 29 Mar 2007 12:37 am.
  • northwestohio1northwestohio1 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone installed a roof rack on a 2006 Avalon. We want to take a long road trip and need more space than the trunk provides. Any thoughts on a roof rack and luggage holder?
  • saturn90saturn90 Member Posts: 3
    I don't know if you still have your 97 Avalon with the leaky trunk, if you do this will help. I had the same problem with a 96 Avalon with water leaking in on the left side. I removed all the cardboard from the interior of the trunk, got in the trunk with a flashlight and had a helper hose down the rear of the car. It took a few minutes, but water started leaking near the left front corner of the trunk. I lifted the trunk seal off of the ridge in the area where the leak was coming from. There was a problem with the way Toyota welded the panels together in that area. The ridge was not the same height through that area. When they welded two of the pieces together, they were not the same height. This caused the trunk seal to not be able to be pushed down all the way and caused a gap under the trunk seal where water could go under the trunk seal and into the trunk. I put a lot of silicone sealant under the seal in that area to fix the problem. I think it would also be a good idea to grind the ridge down to the correct height, but then you would have to paint the bare metal and take the risk of damaging the paint on the top pf the quarter panel.
  • hphilliphphillip Member Posts: 1
    i want to have a discusstion with you.
    Hi, welcome to CarSpace!

That post was made quite a while back. Why don't you let us know what's on your mind? We'll try to help!
    I don't really need any help with my car at this time. I just wanted to post an answer to the person that had the leaky trunk in case he was still dealing with it. I have owned many Camrys, but I just bought the first Avalon about a month ago. It seems to be a pretty good car now that the check engine light is off for a knock sensor problem and the trunk leak is fixed. Thanks
    Thank you for the help! Your thoughts will be helpful to someone, perhaps many people, and we appreciate it very much.

I was actually asking the person who posted after you what we could do to help him since he didn't really say, but I'm glad to see that you are still around. You might enjoy some of our other discussions in the Avalon group as well.

Welcome!
  • jarvisguyjarvisguy Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I'm Jim and I'm looking at buying a '97 Avalon up here in Canada with 108,000 km.on it(about 70,000 miles).Just wondered what mpg you got from your '96 Avalon. Haven't had any experience with this make or model but always admired their style and of course their reputation for reliability.Wondering if there are any quirks to the car but primarily what mileage per gallon I might expect.
    Thanks
    I just took a 900 mile road trip with my 96 Avalon. I got 26 mpg on one leg of the trip and 27 mpg on another leg. There were some hills, but mostly flat land. I had the curise control set between 65 and 75mph depending on the speed limit I was in. It gets about 23 mpg around town and rural type driving. Thanks, Dana
  • tomfletomfle Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Avalon Limited is making a lot of valve noise at idle that was there when I first bought the car used two years ago but is getting much worse. I have 111,000 total miles on it and am wondering if this is to be expected. It's noisier than any other Toyota that I have owned with the V-6 engine. (T100' Three Siennas, and an FJ Cruiser.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Some of this noise can be fuel injectors, especially at cold start-up. I notice the fuel injector "click" a lot of the time on first start-up of my 2007. It generally goes away as the engine warms up.
  • tomfletomfle Member Posts: 2
    The noise doesn't change with warm up. It's consistent whenever the engine is running and varies directly with rpm.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Sounds like your diagnosis is correct. I haven't heard anything like that from my 2007, but it only has about 1/2 the miles.