Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Aura

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Did not test drive the XR yet. When I talked previously with them at the local dealer, they only had fully loaded, then topped off models of the XR. I test one, and if I liked the car, could order the base without fluff for $25K. Have to determine if that is a value. As for the Altima V6, they are getting pricey, and I do not want the CVT. If I want a CVT or the 6 speed stick, I would go four cylinder, which is 180# torque -- that is until I heard of possible excessive oil consumption problems. For now the 2007 Altima is not on the list at all.

I see you posted that you liked the Intrigue. Perhaps the LaCrosse is close. They have terrific deals on used ones, or left over 2006.

Aura sales appear to be slow. Maybe there will be a $1,ooo rebate?
    Or maybe they will deal more on the trade-in price?
    -Loren
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    less roomy interior, I feel the the driver's space is less than my little geo/prizm (hard to believe, right?);

That is why the LaCrosse is still based on the old W car. We wanted a Buick midsize to have lots of room (also 6 passenger capability). The Epsilon architecture, while newer and with a lot of benefits, is just smaller and tighter in the front wheel wells. Hopefully the Eps 2 will greatly improve on this.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    So Eps2 will be like Fusion in width, even in Europe?
    No idea of the comparison between the Fusion and Eps 2 but Eps 2 will be common around the world. Of course there is flexibility in dimensions but width of the under body is not one of them normally. Seat placement laterally will be fixed but wheel base can be revised by using slip joints or even different tooled up metal.

Mot likely it will have mimimal front overhang and a longer wheelbase than today.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I just read something stating that the Greenline will start at $22,700 and be the cheapest hybrid on the market. Sounds like a good strategy to me.
  • curt_51curt_51 Member Posts: 6
    I traded a 06 TDI Jetta completely loaded with package 2 in on the Aura EX with one option, the power seats and heated mirrors. I used the refund from the extended warranty from the Jetta to go title for title. I liked driving the Jetta, but hated the maintenance and inconvenience and the manitenance cost. Also looking for diesels stations which for me were out of the way, a real pain. I have owned too many new cars. Had the new Honda Civic for a few months and traded it on the Jetta. The Jetta had 30 K miles on it the Honda less than 10K. I owned several Camry’s too. V6 automatics is all I drive because I can't stand 4 banger automatics.

So far I love the Aura’s ride and power. No it doesn't get 40 MPG like the Jetta but I don't care, and I drive 135 miles daily. I wanted a good comfortable ride with plenty of power, traction control and power seats. I have them all in the Aura and my insurance dropped $250 a year too boot.

My only regret being: I didn't go for satellite radio as my Jetta had Sirius radio with I grew to like. Oh well there is always after market but I will probably just do the CD thing. Happy safe motoring everyone and thanks GM for the Aura because I didn't like your 2007 G6/G5 or the Buick line.
  • cla1cla1 Member Posts: 27
    I think my dealer said when I got our XR that the XM chip can be added later, or that GM was going to make this option available later. Based on that, I opted to not get the XM option. We do have it in our Terraza but opted out of the subscription after a year. It's really nice on trips, but my commute is shorter than yours and I mostly listen to public radio locally.
  • cla1cla1 Member Posts: 27
    I've been away awhile, but thought I'd give a report on my first 7 weeks of ownership. I have about 1700 miles on the XR, and so far have zero problems. The fold down back seat was difficult to operate until I found that if I pushed back on it, then the latch would release OK. I lubed the latch mechanism with a door latch wax grease and it's fine. There was a mention of an idle problem by some; I haven't had that at all. Very satisfied overall, gets about 20-21 mpg with a 20 mile commute in typical city traffic. I leave the auto climate control on auto and the initial fan noise is high until it warms up a bit. I don't like the steering wheel audio and cruise controls as well as the system in the Terraza, but you get used to them.
  • tmc1688tmc1688 Member Posts: 28
    Hi all, I just wondering why the Saturn XE and XR have such a low low top speed? The XE's top speed is 106 mph and the XR is 115 mph. Both of which are governor limited. These are the only deterents for me from wanting to own such a nice car. Don't get me wrong I'm not a speed freak but the Camry SE V6 top speed is 145 mph. The Camry could pull away easily from the Aura if needed. Is there anyway to defeat the governor limiting system?
  • isartamisartam Member Posts: 13
    I don't have the info in front of me, but the most common reason for limiting top speed concerns tire speed rating. But you can check it out.

Just curious, however: Just where do you plan on having top speed shootouts with Camrys? Seriously, if you're into a mano a mano with a Camry, I think it would more likely be in acceleration. Nothing personal, but one wonders about people who boast about top speed in family sedans. What's next, bragging about lawn tractor tow ratings? :shades: Cool.
    The tires are definitely the reason for the Aura's speed rating. I believe it has T or S rated tires instead of the more commonly used V or H rated. I don't know why they did this but suspect it's related to quietness.
    V and H are not more commonly used tires.

To get to an H rating you have to add different belts which compromise other criteria in the one of which is quietness. Also a big one-cost.
    The Camry could pull away easily from the Aura if needed. Is there anyway to defeat the governor limiting system?

Speed limited (no such thing as governors any more) has nothing to do with "pulling away" at speeds less than the top end limit.

The Aura is not meant to be a "racer" car as the SE Camry tries to be (but is not).
    The Opel Vectra top speed is 155.3 MPH electronically limited speed. But then again, it has a different engine, different tires, and different freeways to play on.

I am sure the XE and XR could go faster, though we don't have an Autobahn here in the USA to try speeds of more than 106 MPH anyway. Where would need such speed? Once again, it is logical that the 3.6V6 in the Aura would propel this car much faster than 115 electronically limit speed. Tire costs would go up, as required to match those higher speeds, as would insurance rates. Why push it? Well, unless you are taking it to the track. Anyone know if they are racing the Aura or Vectra?
    -Loren
    Whoa, I thought the Aura was a sports sedan class. Has better cornering and handling than the Camry. As for SE model of Camry, I don't think it is trying to be a racer, but hopefully just a little better steering feel and cornering ability. More GT class. Yeah, I know towards the bottom in that respect. But the SE in that line is better, and the engine is very nice indeed. The XE and XR Aura are more sports sedan. Seems like there are fewer choices in coupes these days, so sports sedans is the more focused target. Toyota knows people love the 0-60 figures, and power, so they packed the V6 with lots of power. I think the SE tries to be a bit sportier looking, without turning into a boy racer look. And the Aura models are tastefully done.

For speed, the new hatchback coming to Saturn showrooms some months down the road, may be the ticket. Smaller, lighter, and with a turbo charged engine. May have a higher electronic limited speed. How many people are doing track time though?
    -Loren
  • trauppiustrauppius Member Posts: 31
    I have been driving my XR for nearly for months now, and prior to purchasing I researched ant test drove many alternatives (new G35, new Altima, Camry SE, Passat, Accord EX V6, and others). I think the Autoweek comparison between the Camry SE and the Aura XR is very close to my own impressions. I went in thinking the Camry SE was would be the de facto winner of my evaluations but was unexpectedly swayed to the Aura by the back-to-back driving feel.

I drove the Camry twice and the Aura three times, as the "feel" behind the wheel was strangely (for GM) very good and the build quality is approaching parity with the good Japanese brands.

The Camry's 6-speed/engine are very eager, smooth, and a touch more powerful than the XR. however, the XR feels much much more brawny due the low end torque; more like a small block V-8. The Camry tranny is smoother on downshifts...but slow; the XR has to be prodded a bit for downshifts and is a bit abrupt but very positive. Camry is bigger inside,especially head room; XR has bigger trunk and nicer trunk finish. Road holding is about the same with XR doing slightly better on fast sweeping turns due to bigger rubber. Camry ride is hard and twictchy; XR is smooth and composed. Camry is choppy over on uneven/rough roads, XR rear multi-link gets the job done effortlessly without rear hop/bounce. Camry engine and wind noise (moderate) is higher than Camry XL model; XR is very, very quite (almost Lexus like) at all speeds.

And finally, XR has a few minor flaws in interior design and materials selections to be sure, but both Camrys I drove has unexpected (for Toyota) fit/finish flaws.

Overall, I choose the XR over the Camry due, in order: driving feel, looks, quite composed ride, torquey engine/tranny combo, more exclusive (not a me too, everyone has one car), ~ $2k price advantage, dealer paradigm. Choose leasing over purchase to preclude/offset faster than Toyota depreciation. After nearly 4 months I would still do the same thing :).

Todd
    i think H rated tires are pretty common. The W cars have H rated rubber and the Alero and Grand Am had V rated. I think most midsize V6 sedans have H or V rated tires even though they often are limited to speed much lower than the rating of the tires.
    I gotta disagree on the tires. I grabbed 5 random midsize and compact cars on Edmunds and they all were standard S rated all seasons tires. I picked 5 more and only the Honda Accord was V rated.
  • nrborodnrborod Member Posts: 79
    Why all the worries about going faster than 115? Anybody driving THAT fast in this counry is crazy anyway and shouldn't be on the road. Question is , how does it ride, handle and feel in normal , reasonable use? If you want an INDY 500 car, buy one!
    How is your gas mileage on your new XE or XR Aura?

And thanks to those have given some early reports on their Aura autos.
    So far it seems as though all are happy enough. Any updates or other new owners reporting in???
    -Loren
    Don't worry - no worries! Just some replies, mine included, to one post someone made about the limited speed. It is but a curiosity of sorts.

BTW, I found a 0-60 figure of 7.5 seconds for the XE model. Does that seem right. The XR model pretty much matches the Accord and Camry -- close enough, better or worse. So it is quick or fast, with neither too slow. Amazing when you think of the power today from a six compared to the so called good ol' days when you did not have as much from a V8.
    And, I may add twice the gas mileage, or better.
    -Loren
  • sberry19sberry19 Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking at the Aura and was interested in ordering the panoramic sunroof option. The dealer in MD I was working with told me for the 2nd time Saturn was not taking orders for new Auras w/Pan sunroofs. I inquired as to why and they said Saturn wasn't happy with the loud noise of the sunroof when opened and closed. They said their engineering dept was seeking a fix.

I asked around to multiple dealerships and found out that this is the 2nd time they've stopped production on these pan sunroofs. The stopped for a couple months in November also, then came out w/a 2nd generation sunroof that was quieter.

As of today (Feb 15th) I found out that Saturn has stopped taking orders for them and that engineers were going to make a decision by early March as to it's "fate/availability".

Anyone else know any details about all of this? Any current owners have any reviews of the Pan sunroof? Is it loud when you open/close...or is wind noise loud?

Thanks
    this seems highly unlikely when the G6 has had this roof since 2004 and the new Malibu will have it as well. I cant imagine that "new" noise issues have surfaced on a device that has been used for years.
  • sberry19sberry19 Member Posts: 2
    I agree it seems highly unlikely but they said Saturn is going for a higher quality product than Pontiac and Malibu and that the sunroof wasn't up to Saturn's standards yet.
    but they said Saturn is going for a higher quality product than Pontiac and Malibu

Could you point me to this quote?

thanks.

OK I looked at your original message and it looks like it came from a Saturn dealer.
  • logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    Saw the Aura XR at the Baltimore auto show last week and I was very impressed with the style, and especially the brown Moroccan leather seats. They are gorgeous. However, since I live in a hilly area I will not consider a car without all wheel drive. Does anyone know if the Aura will be coming out which what has become a fairly common drive option on upscale cars.
    I have not considered owning an American car since my
    last one, a 1954 Ford, but if awd were an option I think that I might bite.
    Does anyone know if the Aura will be coming out which what has become a fairly common drive option on upscale cars.

Not with this generation but the next one may. Which vehicles in this market have AWD available? I only know of a couple and that is the Suburu and Ford 500 which are not exactly high volume vehicles/upscale.
    I made one post about my experience with buying the new Aura, this is my follow up:

I had a change of heart on buying a Pontiac G5. I love the Aura so much and want it to last knowing my long daily commutes will shorten it’s life and at the same time cost big bucks in fuel so I bought another new car one week after buying the Aura. I ended up buying a G5 and that was after not liking the seating comfort in the G6 thinking the G5 was a downgrade, NOT TRUE, for me anyway. Bought the base model G5 with the one year XM radio promotion prepaid with an excellent discount to boot. It was called [out with the old in with the new]. Had to settle for red because that’s all that was left. With my suppliers discount I did real well buying two new cars in as many weeks.

I read most of the posts on the Aura. I write this post having owned many new cars. For example: Camry’s-- both 6 and 4 cylinders, VW TDI, Honda Civic. The VW handled the best by far of any car I have owned although I have yet to push the Aura that hard, to what end really. But the VW’s ride was hard, not a GM ride, not even close. I also test drove the Hyundai cars, several of their models but was not impressed enough to buy. Yes they equipment them well, so what, I don’t like them regardless.

After driving foreign cars for around 20 years and knowing how America car companies are hurting making this country hurt with them I bought two GM’s back to back in one week and not sorry at all. They have come a long way since I drove them in the early 80’s, a L-O-N-G way to the positive side on all levels.

The Aura had one small fault I wanted to mention. The truck lid was tweaked on the left side looking from behind. The dealership body shop told me they would just drill out the round hold fastener making it oblong for adjustment. At that point I called Saturn national customer service and they initiated a three way conference call to the main man at the dealership I bought it from. It was agreed upon that if they couldn’t fix it without drilling holes in my brand new car they would replace it. Well suddenly the body shop didn’t need to drill it. It’s now fixed like it should have been when it left the factory. It was overlooked obviously and it’s hard to believe it made it that far past QC because I could slide my pinky into the gap it created being misaligned. [I was in a hurry on delivery and missed it]. It’s fixed and I am happy with it plus the fact they were actually going to replace the car if it couldn’t be accomplished minus the drilling. After driving the G5 around the Saturn feels like a big luxury car, and to me that’s exactly what it is.

I am back to American cars to stay whether it’s assembled in Istanbul matters not to me, it’s one of the big three regardless and that’s what matters to me a retired [young] union worker still working. As far as Aura’s speed being limited to 115 MPH or so I say , get real fellow.
    I think that is two American car companies, GM and Ford, which are left. Yes, better cars since 80's. Not always the best choice car, but nonetheless they have improved. Resale values typically suck.

I do agree the Aura XR is one impressive little rocket ship. Plenty of power, it has stability control, and fairly good road feel, and lean on cornering is controlled. I liked the brakes on the second car test drive, which was the XR, better than the feel of the XE, though both work well. Engine on the XR sounds best, and the cabin is pretty quiet while cruising.
    -Loren
  • monkstermannmonkstermann Member Posts: 27
    HP figures vs American "application" thereof.

Though it's rated at "only" 251 HP I believe many are confused in a way. I believe Americans drive "torque" and are infatuated with HP. They thereby confuse lower HP ratings (blue 330xi) as being inferior to comparative vehicles with more that the discussed one.
    Another way of understanding it is "seat of the pants". Torque one can more readily feel from the "git go" and is more tangible than HP.
    So, with 251 lb. ft. of torque in the Aura, it definitely gets your attention and gets you going faster than the 220 or 230 of the competition.
    Just my 2cents worth. :)
    Though it's rated at "only" 251 HP I believe many are confused in a way. I believe Americans drive "torque" and are infatuated with HP.

----------------------------------------------------

If this were true everyone would own a diesel which are the definition of [torque].

The average Joe doesn’t know nor care what his car's HP is rated at, what it red lines, or that 3000 mile oil changes are an asinine waste of time and money dreamed up by the quickie lube joints that sprang up since the American [full-service] gas station disappeared when at one time they even made toys of such stations they were so popular.

If you can't read or write ten different languages in America today you are falling behind, just like everything American these days. Bye Bye American Pie…….
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "If you can't read or write ten different languages in America today you are falling behind"

How about ten different computer languages? :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The Camry is only about .2 of a second faster to 60 than the Aura which is hardly noticeable in everyday driving. The Camry has a substantial weight advantage over the Aura and that is likely why its faster but its no big deal. The Aura is still faster than the Accord, Sonata and Fusion with V6 engines.
  • bdc2020bdc2020 Member Posts: 58
    Does anyone have the Aura and use it with child seats? I'm curious how they fit.

I have 2 booster seats and 1 actual full size car seat (which has it's own 3 point harness).

So I'm wondering if I'll be able to fit those 3 across in the back.

thanks.
    True, you can feel the torque of the 3.6 V6 = very good indeed. I have driven the V6 Accord, and it is very smooth and plenty fast. That said, if you are looking purely for a kick, jump start, blast of a drive, the Aura seems to pack more of a punch. Both are excellent engines and cars. When talking HP, I guess it is possible the Altima or Camry could beat the Aura on the drag strip, but I doubt most people take their sedans there. On a road course, the Camry is not going to corner as well, the Altima should hang in there, and of course, the Accord with double wishbone suspension will do fine. But then again, most people are not taking these cars to Laguna Seca. Feel wise, I like the Accord and the Aura. The new Altima I was not overly impressed with. Did not try out a new Camry. Too many problems reported, and my Dad has a 2000 model, so I drive it now and then = safe handling, nothing too exciting.

As far as 251 vs. 270HP in a FWD sedan, who cares? Both will be more than quick, as in fast 0-60 speeding ticket, and anything over 200# torque is gonna spin those front wheels until the traction control kicks in, or you get off the gas to let things settle down. I may just give the Aura XE another test run - it may be more than enough power. Once again, the XR is a rocket, and feels like you have a V8 under the hood. At $4K additional price, plus it is hard to find a base XR model, I assume most will opt. to buy the XE. I do NOT see this car as a $26K or more car - sorry, personal opinion, but I feel there is a price cap of which anything above seems inappropriate for its class. And I must consider resale hit, as in total in and out on this car. XR at $24K is pushing the limit - $26K+ is into other classes.
    -Loren
    If you think $26k is too much for a midsize car than perhaps you need to recalibrate your expectations. These days $27k doesnt get you into another class by any means. Aside from the TSX and a few others, there arent many luxury branded cars available under $30k. The Altima, Camry, Impala, etc. all cost over $30k with all the options checked off. I believe a loaded Altima is over $32k and by comparison the XR's price is very reasonable. 10 years ago $25k was the price ceiling for most midsize cars but increased technology and power means that family cars are approaching entry level luxury prices.

They priced the Aura GL at $22,700 which is about $1700 more than the XE model but I think the GL has more standard equipment.
    How is your gas mileage on your new XE or XR Aura?
    ------------------------------------------------------

At 65 MPH going a distance of 53 highway miles daily realized 23.9 MPG with the XE's 3.5 V6 with around 500 miles on the car.
    Well I got prices on an XE with a couple of options, but they could not come up with the price I wanted on my trade. Ended up with the Accord SE V6, which is more engine, with a larger discount off sticker and they came up with a better trade-in price. Considering resale value, I saved thousands, and the Accord has more HP and stability control, plus 6 disk CD changer. There are some discounts on the Aura, and the trade-in price was not the worse quote, but in the end it fell short.
    -Loren
    That last line should have read, was not the worse of all the quotes, though it was second to worse, and in the end it fell short.
  • aamixyaamixy Member Posts: 69
    Loren, so you settled with an SE V6 too? I chosed to lease one. Could you take a look at my post regarding the steering wheel on the Accord forum? Thanks.

Hope Aura is still doing well (and gets a little bigger) in three years. At that time, I'll come back. Or maybe I'll just pick the Outlook.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please be sure to share your purchase experience in Saturn Aura Prices Paid!
    I took my 2006 Jetta TDI to a big Saturn dealer here in the Pittsburgh, Pa area and traded it on a Aura EX with one option, the 8 Way Power Seat with Lumbar and Steering Wheel Controls and Heated Outside Mirrors with sticker of $20,970. I wrote a check for $795 and now own the Aura free and clear. They gave me exactly $1000 more for the VW than a VW dealer would on a comparable priced VW model.

I know all about the Hondas and other comparable foreign cars but wanted to buy strictly American for a change. I have no stability control like the VW had and don't really care. I have been licensed to drive since November of 1967 and know how to drive in Pennsylvania winters minus all the fancy new gadgets we all of a sudden can't live without.

I feel Saturn made money of course and I did ok as well, no regrets and being the Aura is going to mostly sit in my garage, I hope to have it for at least a decade and probably a lot longer. To me it’s a BIG car, bigger than I drive everyday anyway.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    "If you think $26k is too much for a midsize car than perhaps you need to recalibrate your expectations. These days $27k doesnt get you into another class by any means. Aside from the TSX and a few others, there arent many luxury branded cars available under $30k. The Altima, Camry, Impala, etc. all cost over $30k with all the options checked off. I believe a loaded Altima is over $32k and by comparison the XR's price is very reasonable. 10 years ago $25k was the price ceiling for most midsize cars but increased technology and power means that family cars are approaching entry level luxury prices.

They priced the Aura GL at $22,700 which is about $1700 more than the XE model but I think the GL has more standard equipment. "

A fully loaded '07 Impala LTZ (all options) can be had for $26K when you consider the current incentives and the usual dealer discounts. The LTZ Impala is the closest match to the XR.

A fully loaded XR (all options) would be $26K after incentives. When the panoramic sunroof is chosen the XR goes up another $600.

There are some bargains to be found in the marketplace if you are willing to give up some things. For example, if you want an Impala with the 3.9L engine but no leather, you could choose the 3LT and choose every option except leather. The price with incentives and dealer discounts would be around $24K, which is very reasonable for a midsize/large sedan.
  • flash11flash11 Member Posts: 98
    Before ordering my new 2007 Saturn Aura XR (love this car, will save for 2008 purchase), what is the best way to get the 18 inch standard ultrabright alloy wheels changed for 18 inch chrome wheels, as part of the order ? I think the upgrade would be worth it considering it is within my price range. Or should I just arrange with the salesman to sell me after market 18 inch chrome wheels or get the standard 18 inch wheels electrocoated with chrome if that is possible ??
    Also what is the best navigation system I can put in this car that you guys would suggest ? I saw a full color screen Garmin Navi (it is a removable handheld) for $600 at Best buy, is there a better navigation system out there? what would you suggest for this car ?
    I drove this car today, she has exactly what I have been looking for, speed with good gas mileage (20/28) and great price $26K. The salesman warned me the prices would be going up, doubtful knowing the situation GM/Saturn is in right now, they better keep the price right where it is considering the Toyota Camry got best car of the year and beats the Aura's 0-60 mph rating at 6.3sec, toyota 6.0 sec. see Jan.2007 Motor trend magazine. I will stick with the Aura solely based on price. If they raise it, it is off my list of cars to consider purchasing, depreciation is too great even though it is a great car. They will compete and beat the competition considering all factors if they keep the price where it is.
    DO NOT get the wheels chrome plated. Would be very expensive and chrome would not hold like original ones.

Buying from the dealer will probably be expensive but ask. they might be able to swap from another car. They also may have a program to do what you want through the accesory program.
    The reason why the Aura, and progressively fewer and fewer GM makes and modes, do not offer a traditional (i.e. a screen, buttons, voice activated combo gizmo in the dash)is that the new generation of integrated radio/CD/MP3/Aux-in/XM/Onstar gizmo provide a better navigation solution for many users. The basic Onstar package of tracking, emergency notification, and satellite phone with linkage to you cell phone account (if you have Verizon) also includes an amazing turn-by-turn navigation scheme that uses voice recognition and directions combined with simplified graphics that temporarily/periodically override the two-line radio dot-matix display with guidance arrows and icons. Rather than pay >$2k for a nav system that most folks use a few times a year and, regardless of claims to the contrary, require you glance at the screen and poke some virtual buttons on the screen and thus present a driving hazard due to driver distraction. The Onstar merely requires you to press on button and then speak to the operator to select your destination. The operator interacts with their up-to-the-minute route database, including current traffic and weather modifiers, and then the route is downloaded and stored in your car's computer and integrated display. You can activate the route immediately or postpone for later use (it is stored), and then the system tracks you position versus the route and gives you turn-by-turn (including a preliminary overview if desired) direction and graphics on the radio display head. Pretty neat, and much cheaper and safer the the gizmo-in-the-dash schema. The system is free for one year and then about $12-17/month depending on the level of service desired.

Check it out at Onstar.com (the have an interactive demo).

Todd
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Sounds better now that someone has explained it. But a question popped into my head......Does GMs new system have the little features like the more traditional NAV systems i.e. nearby dining, theatres, fuel stations and the like?
    Yes but even better. You just ask the person and they look them up for you and then can download the data for the place you want to go.
    Not in same way that an onboard navigation unit with database can display choices (which may be out of date, by the way - unless you pay for an update service).

You can ask the OnStar operator to locate a certain type of establishment in a selected area, and then the directions can be downloaded to the car's computer for subsequent use.

For a higher monthly fee OnStar offers a "concierge" service where you can just bark orders for just about anything you want arranged or done for you; it just cost more, and you have to have a credit card setup so they can charge goods and services in your behalf. I guess this feature would appeal to big shots and/or folks with plenty of money and not much time to spare.

Functionally, the OnStar navigation feature gets the basics done very nicely, but there is not much WOW factor in showing it off to the neighbors compared to those cool looking color LCD Nav displays. For me, the 4th generation OnStar stuff was an unexpected and somewhat under appreciated bonus that came with new Aura.
  • dehg7019dehg7019 Member Posts: 2
    On start-up with temperatures below 60 degrees, my Aura with 4,000 mi emits a strange noise. Sounds like low rev jet engine whine. It is affected by radio on/off, turn signal on/off, even opening/closing door. Within a few minutes noise goes away. Local service dept. does not know what problem is and called Saturn engineer who claimed it was caused by electric power steering motor. Illogical to me since noise is in passenger compartment, not engine area. No solutions have been offered. ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM OR A SOLUTION? Overall, I really like this car.