Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Aura

Comments

• 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    The Aura's build quality is likely the same as the Malibu. They are built at the same plant on the same platform. The current Malibu isnt all that attrative but it's build quality is just fine. The 2008 Malibu is much better looking though. Saturns actually had worse build quality than other GM makes until recently because of the polymer panels. Cheap the gaps on the S series, Vue or Ion and compare them to steel bodied GM models.

There are some nice deals on the Aura now, $1750 cash back in my area.
  • chiefloadchiefload Member Posts: 31
    $2,250 discount in Northern Virginia (as confirmed today by Saturn of Sterling, VA) for non-GM owners... valid through 05/23/07, then down to 1,500 through 7/9/07....or 1.90 - 5.90 percent financing through 7/9/07..

Test drove the XR today (black, with Morroccan brown interior). Very, very classy....Great space too (I'm 6-6 and had no problems..)...
  • phaetondriverphaetondriver Member Posts: 175
    I just read, on the Cadillac web site, that the 3.6 VVT engine in the CTS will be bumped from 255 H-P (2007) to 300 H-P for 2008.
    What are the chances that most of that increase is in the EMC and that the Cadillac EMC would be "Plug-n-Play" with the Saturn Aura??????
    you mean 'Aura with afterburner'?....
    No Aura redline has been announced but some believe if it is announced it will have either the 275hp or 300hp version of the 3.6. I highly doubt GM will use the direct injection V6 in a Saturn. Who knows, if sales dont pick up the redline model may never come.
    A 300 H-P Aura (Red Line) would be a real contender down here in the SoCal desert cities. I see more European and Japanese Hot Rods than you can believe. This has to be one of the most fun areas to live if you can afford these mega-dollar factory street racers. I even saw a V12 Audi a couple days ago.
    The Aura Red Line with 300 H-P and a six speed would sell like hotcakes at IHOP down here if they can keep the price under $30K.

What I want to know is how much of the H-P increase is from the EMC and how much from other (physical) changes to the current 3.6 VVT twin cam engine?
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ...I wonder why GM doesn't use VVTI technology instead of just VVT? Not only could they get more HP, they'd also get better fuel economy.
  • bob919344bob919344 Member Posts: 29
    Turning in a 2004 Caddy and thinking of getting a Aura XR Loaded.....

*** Can anyone tell me if SATURN discounts off LIST PRICE or wont they ????? Cant seem to find out ??

Also.....do you think i will like the Aura...seems to be a nice car for the $$ ...hope gas mileage is not too bad ??

Hard to find the " Real LEASE Rebates avail too " ??

anyone have info avail ?? THANKS LOADS !!!

for Central New Jersey
    ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA OF LEASE DEALS FOR EASTERN REG. ??

NEW JERSEY LEASES ON AURA XR LOADED !!

LIST PRICE $ 27120.00 INV PRICE $ 25,368.00

over $1700 profit.....any idea what discount you can get ??
    PLEASE HELP ME ASAP !!!!! thanks
    It is my understanding from talking to the good folks at Saturn of Sterling (Va) that they discount off the list prise.
    Check the saturn web site for deals and rebates
    http://www.saturn.com/saturn/FindOfferController.dyn?intro=y
    this link should take you to the page requesting your zip code.

I have a cad Sedan De Ville and just bought an Aura XR.
    I am relegating the Cady to short trips to the store and home depot runs, like a truck...

The XR is the most comfortable, fun to drive car I have had in over 25 years.
    Go to the new owner report form for more info.
    Thats the problem.......its not that CLEAR.

you are not sure if rebates are good for leasing or only cash deals or financing....

Did you BUY or LEASE your AURA ???? so you do like it ?

you get the XR ??

what state you from ? thanks for reply !!! and help
    Many car companies give factory rebates to both, buyers and leasors, You will have to go to a dealer to find out. You will have to ask for it, don't count on them offering it up.
    I LOVE THE CAR.
    Read my other reports such as
    phaetondriver, "Saturn Aura" #1250, 7 Apr 2007 12:26 pm
    and phaetondriver, "Saturn Aura New Owner Reports" #11, 17 Mar 2007 6:54 pm

There are also reports from other new owners. I have been reading this, Aura forum and the Chevrolet Malibu/Impala forums. I think the owners here seem the most satisfied. I see some complaints on the chevy forum.
    Now I wish I could get a job selling them :shades:
    THATS the PROBLEM...

i cant get a straight answer from them....I tried 2 dealers and get them same , im not really sure what the rebate $ is....

I HATE SHOPPING for CARS !!! Did you get a discount on yours ???

LEASE OR BUY YOURS ?
    I got my car used (rental)
    I bought it not leased, I wouldn't lease a car.
    Saturn doesn't generally discount their cars, but they do offer rebates. Right now it is about 1750 on the west coast.
    I think, when you compare the price of the Aura XR with other cars in the same class, it is a fair bargain, if you can get $1750 off, IMHO, it's a great buy.
    So Check the Saturn web site for the rebate in your area.
    Go drive an XR.
    Find a color and interior combo you like.
    Then your decision will have been made :)
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    HP is not from EMC changes. it comes from DI.
    I thought so :(
    How about the 275 H-P Outlooks EMC? Might that work in the Aura?
    I think the car has plenty of power, except for an old hot rodder like me. Always looking for a little extra. As I have always said, "There is no such thing as too much horsepower" :shades:
    Not sure how they get all the HP but I believe I have read that some of it comes from the larger intake manifold that is used with the extra room from the higher hood of the SUV look. Not sure though.
    HAS ANYONE who had a 2007 Saturn AURA XR driven the car in SNOW and ICE with the 18" all season tires on the car ??

Wondering HOW the car handles in the SNOW ????

i am planning on leasing a new XR by the month end and was
    wondering how they handle in the SNOW and ICE ?

thanks for any Help !!!! NJ here :confuse:
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Any new on changes for 2008 yet? Just wondering.
  • chicagodrive1chicagodrive1 Member Posts: 64
    This week I'm renting an Aura for business, and as a harsh critic of past GM efforts, I am impressed by the Aura.

My main criticism of GM cars have been lack of style, cheap interiors and uninspired driving. The Aura has proven to me that GM finally gets it.

I own an Accord and would seriously look at the Aura as a replacement.

Bravo GM!
    very minor changes for 2008, nothing notable at all.
    DOES ANYONE OWN A 2007 AURA XR ???

Wondering how the car drives and handles on SNOW ???? I am getting out of a 2004 Caddy which is very good in snow due to its FWD and Weight....I know the AURA had FWD but wondering if ANYONE has the car and has driven it in the SNOW and how it performs ???????????????????????

PLEASE REPLY WITH ANY INFO TO HELP ME... thanks

NEW JERSEY ....
    The car is heavy and has all season tires as opposed to performance tires. I would assume it does as well as your caddy in the snow. Most FWD cars are going to be decent in the snow if they have all season or snow tires.
    Thanks..............figured that

Do you own one of these ??? I am picking mine up this Friday. A 2007 Aura XR Loaded with every option....Cant wait and sure hope the GAS mileage isnt bad.. My Caddy actually is great especially on Highways, and I only used reg gas in it too, even with big V8 engine

Wont miss the $670 mo lease pmt compared to $325 on the Aura though !!!!!!! BIG BIG diff....
    I don't drive in the snow since I moved from Denver to Palm Springs area. I had a truck and a jeep and when winter hit I put studded snow tires on all four wheels on both. Problems solved.
    As for driving in the cold white slippery stuff, the traction control should be a big help, unless you get stuck and can't move.
    Well Bob, What do you think now that you have had your new Aura XR for 5 days?
    I have not taken delivery yet.... This Friday

Hope I am not sorry... 1 st time i am NOT in a Caddy
    and its a big difference. But hope i will be happy with it.

Actually cant wait to get it Friday ...

i will keep you posted....just remind me after the weekend of me driving it
    Sorry I thought you picked it up last Friday.
    I have a Caddy too, it's a few years old, and is now relegated to short trips to the grocery store and Lowes. It is now my truck.
    I have zero regrets at this time, I have had my XR for a month now. Well one regret, I don't drive it as much as I want to. I have to make excuses to take it out of the garage and go some place. Going is so much fun again.

I'll check in with you next week
    Well Bob? How was the first weekend?
    You might want to post your reply/report on the Saturn Aura New Owners Report forum at http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f11c540/15

I hoe your first impression is as good as mine was.
    SO FAR :

Car is AWSOME !!!!!!!! Fantastic Car so far..

After working for BMW for over 15 yrs in mgmt.. This is a very surprising Vehicle ...Tight handeling with the 18" wheels and car rides great..I got it with every option avail. Only few things I will miss are the Heated St wheel in the winter and Air Cooled seats in Summer, other than that i love it.. Gas mileage so far is Fair !! not much more than i was getting with my Caddy. However, $355 less a month in lease pmts !!! Well worth the same gas mileage

Car gets a 9+ so far..... Very european Ride

Tight handeling and really great looks
  • jpolwortjpolwort Member Posts: 27
    I have the opportunity to obtain a Saturn salesperson driven Aura demo, which I've been told, has 6K miles on it. This puppy is loaded (conv. pkg, pref. pkg, enh. conv. pkg, 17" twin spoke alloys, sunroof, and leather). MSRP is $24,195.00. Color is Midnight Blue (which I've seen, and is quite nice). The salesperson indicated there would most likely be a discount - but she "guessed" only $500-800 off. To me, that's not much of a discount being it's a demo. I'd like some serious replies if you think this is worth persuing. I'm going to find out what the in-service date was. Does anyone think this is "typical" mileage for an '07? Also, searching for a (new) Berry Red, as that is my 1st color choice. I test drove an XE on 5/11. The drive was short, and I couldn't really do much, but I did like it overall. Should I stay or should I go?
    $500 off for 1/2 years worth of miles? Sounds way too low to me. It's a used car!
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i'd say pass. 2-3K? maybe.
    THATS NO DEAL FOR YOU but it is for them !!!!!

I just leased a New Aura XR LOADED With every option List was $27,319 and after shopping and busting them i was able to get $1000 off + all the rebates on a brand NEW one with 3 miles on it... I only paid about $25,500 for a loaded XR not a XE that has no liles on it and NO one drove it... Thats NOT a deal for YOU !!!

That car should have a $2000 min + rebate deal easy
    I would have to tell them they need to come down at least 5K or more. I bought an XR with 5000 miles on it and got $5K of MSRP (over $27K) without a hassle. I also got full trade-in value for my Dodge truck ($10K) as a trade in.
    So 7K miles on an XE, should have a price close to $19K. IMHO
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    A used XE should be under $19K, at the very highest price. I would not pay more than $18K. Go try out the XR and feel the difference. A loaded XE is not worth it. No way. Look at a base XR and do the math, then shoot for $1,000 or is it $1,500 off the base XR, whatever the current discount is in your state. Edmund's site here has the discounts listed, so check out the latest. They do change every month. Once an XE goes much past the base model, you are best to go up a grade and take advantage of the wheel, transmission and engine difference, to name a few points, of the XR. For $24K, you are talking XR territory. If they don't have the base XR or will not give you a good trade-in allowance, the option is to walk.
    Loren
    I just got a NEW 2007 XR Loaded with Every option they have

turned in a 2004 Caddy Deville and to be honest , as of now, I LOVE the Aura XR !!!!!!!!!! especially the alomst $400 lower lease payment !!

The car is fantastic.....lots of power in the XR , nice 18" wheels and it handles Great !!!! IT has a very european ride and handels like a european car...very tight and not all over the road...Actually at 75 mph....the car had a better and smoother ride than my Caddy !!

but.....Go for the XR, its a awsome car !!!! So far

( hope it stays that way )
    the XE and XR are barely different. I dont know why you continue to argue the XE is totally inferior to the XR and unacceptable at its current price. The ONLY differences between the models are wheel size, 2 gears and 28hp. There are no suspension or interior quality differences between the two models. The XE is not a bad value, nor is it far worse than the XR. Most Auras I see are the XE model.
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Hello! I have a seven year old Dodge Intrepid that is starting to show its age badly, and I've been casually looking here and there at different things. I haven't made an exhaustive search of what's out there that's in the same price range, but I've looked at the Buick LaCrosse, the Camry, the Accord, and the Impala. All of them had their good points and bad points, but I haven't had a "THAT'S THE ONE' moment until tonight. :D:DOh my gosh!!!!!!!! :D:D I fell in LOVE with that car. It was ALL I could do to keep from hopping up in down in front of the salesman and handing him a check. But using every last bit of self control I had, I smiled, thanked him, said "I really like it" and left. ( Which, if you knew me and my impulsive nature, you would all be very proud.)

So has anyone had any bad experiences? Know any reason I shouldn't watch for a really great financing deal and get one? Anybody want to play devil's advocate here? I said I'd never get a first year car, but wow. :D Somebody tell me why I shouldn't.......

Thanks
    Karen
    I sure would not talk you out of it and neither would the auto media in the US. They voted the Aura to be the best car in the US.

Buy it, you will love it.
    Wrong
    The ONLY differences between the models are wheel size, 2 gears and 28hp.

Wrong

Other than the engine/trans and wheels what else is different? Some equipment is standard on the XR that is available on the XE(about $2000 worth) but that is why there is a $4000 delta. You are paying $2000 for the DOHC, 6 speed and wheels.

Seems like the XE is a pretty nicely priced package.
    There is a HUGE difference in a 4 speed VS 6 speed trans !!!

There is also about $1600 of Rims on the car...+ the 18" tires alone.. probably about $1800 easy for tires and rims alone !!!!

And the addtl Horsepower !!!

The 18" rims and tires and the 6 speed make the difference for the MONEY !!! If you are not into that than go for the XE.....BUT the XR is well worth the Money !!

No comparison the way a 4 speed trans and 6 speed tran shifts gears....much softer gear change with 6 speed .
    I was replying to:
    " I have the opportunity to obtain a Saturn salesperson driven Aura demo, which I've been told, has 6K miles on it. This puppy is loaded (conv. pkg, pref. pkg, enh. conv. pkg, 17" twin spoke alloys, sunroof, and leather). MSRP is $24,195.00. Color is Midnight Blue (which I've seen, and is quite nice). The salesperson indicated there would most likely be a discount - but she "guessed" only $500-800 off. To me, that's not much of a discount being it's a demo. I'd like some serious replies if you think this is worth persuing. I'm going to find out what the in-service date was. Does anyone think this is "typical" mileage for an '07? Also, searching for a (new) Berry Red, as that is my 1st color choice. I test drove an XE on 5/11. The drive was short, and I couldn't really do much, but I did like it overall. Should I stay or should I go? "
    --end quote--
    When my friend [1487] stepped in to tell me what I was saying and then some. Now, what you said before makes sense, in that the price for this used car is too much.

As for the XE vs. XR, they do drive different. Perhaps not day and night, but for $24K XE vs. $24K base XR, I would say the bargain goes to the XR indeed. With discounts, the XR should be around $22,500, which is about what I would say is fair. Others may disagree, as it is IMHO. You can dress a base anything up to the top of the pricing list, but the return on investment gets slimmer than moving up a grade. The XR is clearly up a grade. The four speed is going to be discontinued, I think. If you are talking smooth ride and not considering performance, the hybrid has the gas mileage for $22K.

Once the NEW Malibu is introduced, the Aura is going to have some stiff competition from it brother car. May actually be the better looking car. Should they price the Malibu 3.6 V6 below the Aura 3.6 V6 XR, then look out for falling prices on Auras. The XE is not a bad car for under $20K. If you got one with say one set of options, like the adjustable pedals or whatever, and then got say $1,500 off, the price should be around $19K to $19.5K. It is going to get to the point of some price crowding here with the four cylinder Malibu, then the hybrid Aura, then the XE, followed by the XR. Now if it is price be damned and value who cares, the leather, and moon roof, loaded XE sounds great for some. But a used one should not be over $18K -- $19K is a stretch. I would not like the see this gal get overly enthused by a car, only to be had on the price.

As for driving dynamics, they seem like two different cars. Well, at least considering not too much of a price difference. Just go drive the two. The XE may be, as you say, good for the money. Once you drive the XR, you may want to see if you can get the price on down on the real performer. GM is going to suggest that dealerships have a Camry at the dealership to compare the NEW Malibu with. I say, why not. And why not drive the Camry, Accord, and Altima too. Compare the XE to the 4 bangers from Japan, and the XR with the V6 competition and see what ya think.
    Loren
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I actually really like this car. I prefer non american cars, but this car is absolutely amazing. I have yet to take one out and really feel how it drives, but it looks great. Although I do think they could work on the interior a bit, but it is a great start for saturn to finally up the scale a bit on their cars. Hopefully they will retain their value more now as well. If I were to get one, I would get the XR, go all out and get the fully loaded XR. This car would still be less than the new 07 accords, with more options. I love the optional sky panaramic sunroof, I think many cars should use this. I feel there is no reason to put such a small sunroof in cars, when there is much more roof room. If your going to put one in, go all out. This car is very nice, and I would entertain getting one, but the 08 accord is coming soon. Excellent job Saturn!!
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    '08 Malibu is related to Aura, but will be a first year car.

Would you rather drive a first year car, or one that has had some time for the Manufacturer to sort things out?
    Should basically be the same car, with perhaps a more styled interior. If you are talking anything with a record to go by, that be the G6. The New Malibu or the Aura certainly looks better, IMHO. Generally speaking, the bugs usually start to be eliminated more so by the third and forth year of production, though I would agree the second year offers the first fixes. You would have to wait longer than a year to get the complete picture of reliability of the Aura and Malibu cars. The G6 appears to be average.
    Loren
    The new Accord is indeed coming out but based on the pics I've seen thus far it doesnt appear to be a looker and I suspect it will be priced more dearly than the current car. You can get a deal on the 2007 Accord, but we all know there will be no deals on the 2008 model which is likely to mean the Aura will be available for thousands less. I would guess the Accord is going to have more than 252hp and the interior is probably going to be a little nicer than the Aura's. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend for more generic styling and more hp.
    Who Needs more than 252 HP ????????????

especially with GAS prices......i actually wish my XR had the engine HP of the XE so it would burn LASS gas..who needs these BIG Horsepower engines...where you going with traffic lights every 500 yds ??? Makes no sence to me...

252 HP is plenty !!!!!!!!!!! especialy with the cars weight. We need to STOP these Gas GUZZLER engines !!! NO NEED !!! Where you going to use it....?