Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Aura

Comments

• phaetondriverphaetondriver Member Posts: 175
    Remember promotions change all the time.
    You can always fing the current promotions at the Saturn web site. here is hte link to the Aura promotions.
    http://www.saturn.com//saturn/purchasing/findoffers/offers.html
  • bob919344bob919344 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2007 Aura XR I leased about 4 months ago.....I was also a GM of a auto dealership for past 30 yrs before retiring last year.

Here is how the Conquest works and all you need to qualify

1- You need to have SOMEONE in your house that owns or leases a NON-GM car....any car BUT GM . It can be anyone as long as its in your house and has the SAME address.
    2- The PROOF of this rebate is simple and the ONLY way anyone can get it - GM requires a copy of a registration for a Non-GM auto to get this $$$ as a adtl rebate. ( Thats the only way you can get it ) my son had a Toyota but lived at a different address, has the same name BUT different address, this does NOT qualify for the rebate.
    3- There is NO way around this but 1 way !!!! You would need to buy a $100 non GM junker from a junk yard and get it registered and use that registration for your Conquest $ only if its worth doing after buying the car and paying for motor veh to register it. Also.....it has to be a NON GM junk car

SORRY>>>>>>>>>> thats the ONLY way you can get the $$
    no other way possible around it. Trust me I worked for them for 30 yrs

good luck
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    I did buy an XR, and did get the conquest money. I was surprised because I too thought it was only good for the XE's. The dealer did say that the deal was only good through the end of the month (August), putting extra pressure on me to pull the trigger and get the car since it was August 30th. Perhaps the conquest deal on the XR expired at the end of August, or perhaps the dealer goofed, I'm not sure. At any rate I got the conquest rebate and am happy with the deal.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Thanks for posting the response; I knew your previous post was recent, but I didn't know how long ago you bought the car...it could well have been a promotion that ended in August. In any event, I told my boss to at least ask when he goes back to the dealer; I figure it can't hurt.
  • sr71sr71 Member Posts: 8
    What! G6, Malibu, can you say Opel Vectra. The Aura is a 6" stretch on the Vectra. Take a look under the rear suspension of the G6 or Malibu. You will find that Aura suspenion is nothing like the Chevys. Does this car look like anything GM has ever procuded? No! This car is a close clone of the Vectra. All of the Saturn models will be Opels by 2014.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Who doesn't know that? It's not a secret!
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    Sorry to disappoint you but the Malibu and G6 are closely tied to the Vectra underneath the skin. The Aura basically has the parts and suspension of the Malibu SS and G6 GTP/GXP more or less. The base Malibu (current) and base G6 have a softer riding suspension and electronic steering.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This topic is to discuss the various aspects of the Aura. Some posts have been moved to a new discussion for Saturn Aura vs. Honda Accord.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Actually it's the Electronics. The Electronics in the NA epsilon 1 platform doesn't work with in dash nav. They would have to retool it. The 09 Aura could get a revised interior. Maybe indash navi and arm rest. They will put in navi for the Epsilon 2 platform.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Has anyone driven both a 08 Malibu LTZ and a Aura XR?

Wondering how they compare back to back.
  • mrsyjmrsyj Member Posts: 77
    anyone hear a low frequency sound above 40mph coming from the front end. I thought it was a low tire but thats not the case. I cant figure it out but I would like to know before I take it in for oil change. The car is so quiet that you can hear every little sound, including this one.
    What does it sound like, is it high or low pitched?
    The only sound I hear up front is the stinking power steering pump. If the darn engine would make more noise like my Cadillac, I'd never hear the pump and be happy.
  • jano7jano7 Member Posts: 1
    We have had the same problem with the thumping in the steering wheel. They replaced the part about a month ago & now it's back worse. Went today to get oil changed & pointed out the problem, said it needed to be greased & the guy who did it was not there on Saturdays . Showed him the separating of the panels under my drivers side door, he came back & said it's exactly the same on all 4 of your doors & that's normal. We have brown leather interior & it's starting to show wear & peel where the seat belt hits it on the drivers side door. He told me they'd replace it only once. But he came back & said that until there is actually a hole there they won't touch it. I've only had this a car a year, I expected more out of this car & more out of service. This is the 3rd Saturn we've bought from the same dealership but their customer service has gotten really bad. I will fight to get these things fixed, it will be the last Saturn I buy.
  • brad30brad30 Member Posts: 5
    Did any of your saturn dealers "require" the add-on paint/fabric protection. I have either gotten some half-truths from a sales person or the dealership I had hoped to purchase from "requires" this protection plan ~ $400. I haven't seen anything about it in Saturn corp materials (but I may have overlooked) but I am not sure if I can negotiate this away (given Saturn no negotiation) or simply negotiate by buying elsewhere.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    One word regarding the "Required" package: SCAM!

If this dealer is your only Saturn dealer around, tell them that you're going to talk with the BBB. If they're not the only dealer, don't walk, RUN away.

Another thought regarding the limited number of dealerships scenario, if they insist on scamming you, start talking to your local Chevy dealer. I've looked at both the new Malibu and the Saturn Aura, and while I may well be missing something, I'm hard pressed to see any significant difference between the two cars.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • steelermansteelerman Member Posts: 36
    I too ran into this issue with my 07 Aura XR. The dealership in Savannah wanted to charge over $1,000 for dealer add-ons and would not negotiate at all. When I asked to speak to the Sales Manager, she confirmed and said that there wasn't a Saturn dealership within 200 miles that would budge on dealer add-ons.
    So I went to Jacksonville, FL (about 120 miles from me) and bought a car from them without the dealer add-ons.
    Bottom line - play hard ball and find another dealer if you have to. We shouldn't have to pay for something we don't want!
  • nicerideniceride Member Posts: 3
    The dealer we bought our car from also had a hidden $400 dollar charge never mentioned.... for nitrogen filled tires plus paint and cloth protectant. My wife found a small piece of paper in the glove box with the extras listed at $400.
    That was 2 days after paying cash and bringing the car home! She said no way and demanded a $400 refund check which we did receive. Before paying for the car I had the dealer install splash guards and an optional rear cargo net & a container of touch up paint at no cost.
    JAY
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    I purchased an 08 XE 3.5 this weekend. I noticed that the dealer was going to charge me $795 for fabric and paint protection. I just told the salesguy - either that goes away - or- I'm outa here. It quickily disappeared from the deal, and, I took delivery on Sunday afternoon. The Saturn made my old car, an 05 Chrysler Sebring, look sick.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • jimmyrevitjimmyrevit Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a used 2007 Aura 3.5. I test drove new accord and Camry, but decided I wanted a some what American vehicle. I want to see our great country prosper. So far we have been very happy with the vehicle. Nice ride, power and comfort. MPG I'm not sure about yet. So far Hwy 25.5 MPG City-Hwy 19-21 MPG. Much better ride and power then the Japanese imports, (Honda/Toyota). Test drive the accord Camry and then test drive the Aura, you won't be dissapointed.
  • bob919344bob919344 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2007 Aura XR loaded with every option avail with only 8K on it now, my wife has a new 2008 XE only 2 months old and my daughter just leased a new 08' Vue.....

NOW the news.... I am retired from the auto industry after 30+ yrs and here is my take on Saturn as a car Mfg. ( i just retired from BMW after 15 yrs and also had GM exper of over 15 yrs )

NO !!! This is NOT a BMW or a Lexus or Infiniti or any other premium auto, it s a SATURN by GM and I think a lot of people forget that..... It is what it is, a fairly good car for the $$ in todays market. You cant expect anything more than what it is...a GM product. Over the years GM has improved, just NOT as much as they can or should have. The car to me is fine for the $$ of todays market. You get what you pay for !! Remember its a car in the mid 20K range and today thats not much. You cant compare this quality and workmanship to Toyota or any German manufacturer, the Japanese put out a fantastic product for the $ , bu8t even those are suffering due to increased volume of production in past years.

All in all for the money, Saturn is not a bad product, Yes there are some interior aspects that sure can be a lot nice especially for the XR top of the line. Also the problem with the side rocker panels, thats something SATURN should be addressing ans find a fix if it separates and not ignore the customer, as they will lose them next time to another mfg.

Remember......we bought SATURNS, NOT a BMW, BENZ etc.... and dont think they dont have similar problems, because they have plenty. Only differance is they do whatever they need to do to make a customer happy and fix the problem, something GM is clueless about.

hope this helps from someone in
    the auto industry for 30+ yrs and
    NOT a sales person !!! and now
    we have 3 Saturns
  • winterescapewinterescape Member Posts: 5
    Yes, In short all 2009 Saturn Aura will be 6speed automatics, the 3.5 V6 is gone, and the 2.4L takes over...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116096
    3.5L was really not needed in 08 but for whatever reason they kept it around.
    I disagree with you. I've put 3K miles on my 08 Aura 3.5 so far on business trips. The car gets the same fuel economy as a 4 banger, yet, has a decent performance level. I think Saturn is making a mistake by dropping this combo in 09. If they married the 6 speed automatic to the 3.5, it would do even better.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
    Perhaps, but 3 combos increase costs and GM needs to cut them desperately. I think most people are looking for a 4 these days anyway, even if the mileage numbers are mostly optics vs. the 3.5.
    If you ask me, and nobody did, I have to agree with terminating the 3.5.
    GM could easily retune the 3.6 so it produced LESS H-P, duplicating the 3.5's H-P and torque. This would probably give slightly better MPG than the 3.5 does now and would keep production costs down.
    Still gives the buyers what they want and eliminates one whole engine/trans choice.
    Of course this will probably be the cause of 10,000 lost jobs shutting down an entire engine factory, but who cares about a few jobs as long as the stock holders are happy.
    Oops, bad tangent, sorry.

so you could have a choice of 2.4L-140 H-P, 3.6-180 H-P and 3.6-250 H-P and 3.6-305 H-P (direct injected from Cady CTS :) )
    Maybe add a 1.8 L-100 H-P with Electric Hybrid (hire back those 10,000 workers) but I think the Hybrid should be in the Astra size not the Aura size cars IMHO
  • dinofdinof Member Posts: 106
    You are correct in saying that the Saturn is a good buy for the money. However, they offer a new warranty attempting to show
    that their product is just as good as higher priced brands.
    However, they will not honor their warranty, as in the case of the
    separating rocker panels................they simply get away with not
    repairing the panels by declaring that they are a design/manufacturing DEFECT and therefore exempt from warranty coverage. In other words, the problem has to be called a REPAIR in order to qualify for warranty coverage. :confuse:
    I, too, do not see the place for the 3.5. Many people are choosing the 4 cyl with today's fuel prices. Those who want the power of a V6 and can afford the gas will be more satisfied with the 3.6. The Malibu is doing just fine with no 3.5 L option.
    I was reading on the Saturn fans site the new 6-speed with the 2.4L boosts highway mileage to 33 mpg from 30, just about best in class (excluding the Malibu).

Seem like a great option in the $4 / gallon world we seem to have suddenly entered.

That said, I still want a 3.6 XR.
    I guess you don't live in a moutainous state like I do. The 4 cylinder cars I've owned (including Hondas) never did well on fuel economy or longevity. The 3.5 has enough HP so that it doesn't scream at high RPM much, and, its consistently giving me over 30 MPG on business trips. Adding a 6 speed automatic to the 3.5 would improve its EPA numbers , as well as its 0 - 60 numbers. I passed on Malibu because the 3.5 wasn't offered.

Regards:
    OldCEM
    No I do not live in a mountainous state, but have visited them and I can imagine a 4 banger not being much fun. Still, if you live in such an environment and feel you need a V6, the 3.6 liter is still an option. It is a more refined and powerful engine than the 3.5 for not much more money.
    When I priced the Auras - the models with the 3.6 would have cost me about $4K more + the hit on fuel economy. For my business driving the 3.5 fills the bill perfectly. I'm well aware of what a more refined, more powerful V6 runs like. My Saturn's stablemate has a 240 HP 3 Liter in it, and, its substantially quicker than the 3.5 Aura is. Downside is - it gets about 26MPG on premium gas.

Regards:
    OldCEM
    Has anyone out there tried a 2.4L / 6-speed?

Tested an XR last week and I loved it but will gas spiraling, I may go with an 09 XR-4.
    This is NOT a BMW or a Lexus or Infiniti or any other premium auto

Because of changing job situation, I actually traded in my 07 Aura XR for a 2008 Infiniti G35X, which I am leasing. I've had the Infiniti for a couple of weeks now. The Infiniti stickered about $10,000 more (37K vs 27K).

The Aura actually does hold its own to the Infiniti in many ways. It has many of the same features (leather power everything, etc.) Some similarities and differences:

The Infiniti's leather feels softer and more luxurious

The Infiniti just feels more substantial and solid, like when you close the door or move around in your seat. These first two differences, I feel, are the meat of what the extra 10 grand buys you. You can simply 'feel' the difference.

Both cars have nice sound systems, but the Bose in the Infiniti sounds a little richer.

Both cars handle well, I'd say about the same.

Both cars feel powerful in normal driving, the G35 feels and is a little quicker when flooring it (306 hp vs 252), 0-60 in about 5.5 sec vs 6.5. The Infiniti's accelerator is more difficult to modulate, difficult to go somewhere in between all and nothing. The Saturn's engine note is actually more refined and quieter than the G35's, especially at full throttle.

The Infiniti's brakes are touchier and more powerful.

I do miss several features of the Saturn not on the Infiniti, such as the OnStar, remote start. I had hooked up a Verizon line to the OnStar and that handsfree phone system was more user-friendly than the Infiniti's blue tooth system.

I recently drove a friend's 97 TransAm. While very powerful, it otherwise felt like a dinosaur compared to the Saturn and Infiniti, with mushy brakes, ponderous handling, unrefined engine noises, and uncomfortable seats.

All-in-all, I think the Saturn is a great car for the money. As you said, it is a 20-something thousand dollar car, not a 30-something thousand. Remember that and you will be very happy with it.
    Can anyone comment on the Aura's trunk and how golf clubs fit and which way they fit? I am toying with an Aura XR but I also golf and I want to know how 2 sets of clubs work in the trunk.

Thx
  • dinofdinof Member Posts: 106
    Lower the rear seat "pass-thru" and it will fit................maybe !
    :confuse:
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    I would take your bags to the dealer and try it.
    After much consideration I decided to go with a Chev Malibu over the Aura. The main reason was price. I wanted a 3.6L and the 2LT optioned with the sport package was over $3000 less than an Aura XR after negotiation and all I gave up really was fog lights and climate control.

I really prefer the exterior of the Aura and the Saturn brand has a much more exclusivity to it but in the end, there are too many other things I could do with $3000 and still have fun with my car.

Still look forward to popping in here, after all the Aura and Malibu are very close cousins.
  • alero02alero02 Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased an '09 Saturn Aura XR-4 and found out some interesting details in the process. We got the XR-4 with the 6 speed automatic transmission which is standard for the best fuel economy. I was just checking the Saturn web site to check out some of the listed features on our car. To my surprise the base price of $23,450 on our car sticker is $1,755 less that the new base price ($25,205) on the Saturn web site for an XR-4. I noticed the comparable Chevy Malibu is also up this year on the Chevy website. But some models currently on lots have lower base prices than on the Chevy or Saturn web sites. GM has done this traditionally on new model year cars delivered to dealers. After a few weeks or up to a month or so, the base price creeps up sometimes. I think this is a marketing thing so that when rebates kick in later in the year, GM is really not taking as big of a hit on prices as it would seem. However, if a person happens to FIND an earlier released car from the beginning of the model year release, it can be a real savings.
    Having said all this, there is also a LARGER GMS rebate then the current $1,000 on Auras . If you can qualify for a GMS family/friends purchase, you can qualify for a $3,000 rebate on Saturn Auras. Malibus only have a $1,000 rebate for anyone. The bottom line is we did get the GMS price, with a $3,000 rebate and it was on a car with the LOWER 23,450 base price. Combine that with $1,755 less than the current base price as shown on the Saturn web site and it is some real savings. These saving are good till either Nov. 3 or October 31.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    GM has done this traditionally on new model year cars delivered to dealers. After a few weeks or up to a month or so, the base price creeps up sometimes. I think this is a marketing thing so that when rebates kick in later in the year, GM is really not taking as big of a hit on prices as it would seem.

Actually all car makes increase the prices over the year not just at the beginning of the model year. Makes some sense since cost go up during the year not just once a year.
  • alero02alero02 Member Posts: 2
    "Actually all car makes increase the prices over the year not just at the beginning of the model year. Makes some sense since cost go up during the year not just once a year".

Yes, it is true that most auto makers do this during the year. What I have seen over the years is what amounts to an "introductory price" on first release autos, and in just a few weeks to a month or so a marked increase after rebates start to show up. My vehicle was made in late September and here only a few weeks later the website MSRP is $1,755 higher. What I am saying is that if you find an early release vehicle on a dealers lot, it can be a real savings when the rebates show up versus new arrivals on a dealers lot.
    I noticed this for the Malibu also.

4.9% APR for up to 60 months on '09 Pontiac G6; Chevrolet Malibu, Light Duty Silverado and HHR; Saturn Aura; and Light Duty GMC Sierra
  • ilovecars89ilovecars89 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know who is the Area Manger of Saturn in Maryland?
  • brybrybrybry Member Posts: 25
    Bought this car used 90K 2007 Aura XE. Replaced steering column. Rear defog wasn't working, loose wire. Door lock delay switch was replaced. Now I have a gasket that is leaking coolant. I'm fortunate GM has 5 yr 160K powertrain warranty as they fixed all this with no charge. Still a hassle to take in for repair but they give me a loaner car every time. Not sure if I'd buy a saturn again, my Pontiac and GMC have been incredible cars with hardly any maintenance. Still like GM products. Will never own another Toyota!
    To be honest I would not buy any used car that had 90k on it. Thats just way too much used to be worth it because thats when a lot of parts begin go fail. My current car ( a 99 Infiniti G20) I got used at 45k. Although its a good car all around by the time I about 80k miles I had to replace major components of the braking system (1400 bucks) and by 92k I had to sink 1800 bucks into the exhaust system. Now im at 110k on this thing and just replaced the alternator for another 600 bucks and last year replaced the starter for 900. The trick is to buy a used car with low mileage but you always have to take into consideration that the previous owner may not have taken good care of the car.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    In reading the post I suspect that the OP is from Canada and that the 90K is KM, not miles.

This equates to about 56,000 miles.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I always use K as short for 1000....but who knows....but per the statement....even if they wanted to buy another Saturn...would be tough since they are all gone now....or going quick....

would agree...need a used car under 40K....but you still never know how a previous owner cared for the car.......wow..lots of expensive work on a japanese "quality" car...even if new....and one thing I note about all non-domestics.....is that repairs and parts are far more expensive than the GMs or Ford of the world.

guess Im lucky here...04 Chevy..with 158K on it...only thing I have replaced is a right rear caliper (leaking) and right front tire rod (worn connector)....total for both repairs less than $600 to include parts..........
  • brybrybrybry Member Posts: 25
    The car does have 90,000 kilometers. It was a lease car from GMAC. Once I get the bugs worked out I'm sure things will be fine. I haven't taken a dime out of my pocket and GM has covered it under their 5 year/160,000 kilometer powertrain warranty so I can't complain. The other little things were done by the used car dealer with a 30 day warranty. Drives great and I'm getting about 27mpg with half city and half highway. Sounds like you've got a good chevy truck, can't beat their trucks for looks and dependability.
    OH you don't know the half of it. I've alwasy been a GM guy myself but finally fell for the kool-aid and bought this 1999 Infiniti G20. All around a very good car. But Ihave spent over 5k in repairs and I have done a lot of those repairs to critical parts that died between 80 and 100k miles.

I sitll have the car but will be soon replacing it with either an Equinox, La Crosse, Regal or SRX.

I tll you I cannot wait to get back into a GM car. And I have to say that even though Consumer Reports said my first car an 89 Baretta GT was not recommended. It was the most reliable car I ever owned. My second car was an Geo Tracker. Loved that thing to death but not as reliable as I'd liked it to be. The G20 is very well put together but Im somewhat nervous every time I take a trip to the beah which is two and a half hours from my house and I do that a lot during the summer.