Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Aura

Comments

• aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    I recently rented a Chevy Classic from Budget. Didn't know that such a car existed until I rented it. Is Classic the same as the Malibu? It had plenty of power, plenty of room and a refined ride. What it lacked, in comparison with my Maxima, is a steady steering. You don't get the feeling that your car tires are gripping the road. You always worry if your car would stray into the adjacent lane. On my Maxima I feel so confident when driving because the tires grip the road so well and the steering is very steady.

I hope on that score Aura in an improvement over the Malibu. If only it rides quietly and its steering is steady I am going to buy one. The car looks fabulous in and out otherwise.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    The Classic is the old Malibu. Reports indicate the current model is much improved over the one you rented. The Classic has the 2.2L Ecotec four-cylinder.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    If you like the old "Classic", try a new Malibu. Much better car.

The 2.4L will be much better power wise for a car this size.
  • fbcjrfbcjr Member Posts: 19
    Are there any insiders with any knowledge as to what's happening with this car? It's probably the first non-Cadillac or Corvette GM car I have ever considered buying. I'd be willing to wait for it if it faithfully keeps the look of the concept, has the 3.6L V6 @ at least 250 hp, AND comes in at a price (with options) that is competitive with the G35 and Acura TL. A tall order, most likely, but that is what it takes to compete in the near-luxury market today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good news.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I don't really think the Saturn Aura will compete in the near luxury market. It doesn't carry enough brand prestige, reliability and build quality are still in question.

The Saturn Aura is directed toward high end Toyota Camrys, Honda Accords, Nissan Altima/Maximas, and the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan.

You can bet the Aura will be cheaper than the TL and G35. After all, it is nothing but a midsize GM car. I do think the Aura is Saturn's best car ever, and it is a worthy opponent to the class leaders. The interior is great, too bad they couldn't apply a similar treatment to ugly Malibu's dash.
    The Aura will get the 3.6L as the V6, that's a done deal. Whether it's tuned for 240 or 250hp is yet to be seen. From what I have read, the interior will be kept as close to the show car as possible. Saturn is going up market, no doubt about that now. The SKY and Aura are both much nicer cars than anything Saturn has ever put out and the VUE is suppose to get an all new interior and face lift for 2006.

No not Acura levels, but VW or Opel like for sure.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I have high hopes for Saturn, I hope GM can pull this off like they did with the Cadillac renaissance. There's a huge amount of moving and shaking going on in this particular segment, and GM needs a hit that will sell without HUGE incentives. The Aura may be just the car to do it, if:
    1) the overall quality of the vehicle is kept high
    2) the interior is well thought out and efficiently packaged
    3) the vehicles retains the concept's eye-catching styling
    4) the 3.6L DOHC engine is available at the same price points as Accord and Altima V6s, for example.

In the next year, there is formidable competition: the new Sonata is about to debut and just may end up really shaking things up, theres the Fusion/Milan which are both attractive, seemingly high quality, and ride on chassis that feature a great ride/handling compromise (though engines are nothing that impressive), the next generation Camry is rumored to debut slightly early, in Spring of 2006, the new Altima will debut a few months after that....

Very interesting, indeed.

~alpha
    Thanks for the responses navigator89 and vanman1. Your logic is sound, but the concept sure looked like a near-luxury model. If the production is a Camry, Accord, Maxima fighter, I highly doubt it will keep that sweet-looking leather and all of the metal (or metal-look) accents (like those on the pockets on the back of the seats). That would be too bad. It's my understanding that the 3.6L is in the CTS, so I assume the motor qualifies as near luxury in quality. I'm just not sure I'd be interested in this car if it dispenses with all of the luxurious-looking goodness of the concept. Shouldn't Chevy be the brand that competes with the Toyota, Honda, and Nissan monikers, or has GM given up on ever achieving that goal with Chevy?
  • aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    All these days I used to feel that bigger the engine the better. But with gas prices likely to go up again and stay there ( from what I am reading in magazines and newspapers ) perhaps the Aura also needs a fuel efficient engine to attract more buyers.

The car's exterior no doubt looks good, even grand! Interior looks upscale. My concerns at this point are fuel efficiency, a quiet cabin and a steady steering. I keep harping on steady steering because in order to attract buyers of Japanese cars you need to be good on that front. I don't know if a steady steering is a function of the steering column, the weight of the car, the tires, or all three.

The Aura will be a winner if they concentrate on those 3 things besides offering a big trunk space and air bags everywhere - front, side , top, bottom .. just kidding .. you know what I mean!
    If you are concerned about mileage, the 2.4L 170hp inline 4 will be available as the base engine. The Pontiac G6 will be getting that same engine in it's base model coming in about 2-3 months.

Chevy does compete with Honda and Toyota also but Saturn has a better rate of conversion from the Asian cars than Chevy. Saturn's no hassle buying and higher customer service are part of that attraction I guess.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280

It's halfway through its generation cycle now (the outgoing Vectra had Fusion-like headlights). Does that mean the Saturn Aura will only last three years in its first generation, or will GM pull a Focus and keep the old one around for longer than in Europe?

The car gets good reviews in England (as a Vauxhaul, not an Opel).
    Looks like the next ION.

Great pictures!!
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    by proposed pricing. From what I've read, pricing is expected to top out around $27,000+ (US). That concerns me and here's why:

I read an article in Detroit News on the 3.5 Altima. A Nissan Altima 3.5 SL starts at $27k. After options you're kissing $30k. The article wisely pointed out the senselessness of buying a $30,000 Altima V-6 when you can get it's "alternate reality" twin -- the Infiniti G35 for the same price.

If GM really wants to sell this car, they may have to cut their throats on pricing in order to get non-GM customers. It's the age-old dilema: price it high and sell a few or price it low and sell a lot? If GM's going to throw money down the toilet in rebates after introducing the car (which is their practice), why not just give up $2,000 - $4,000 off the top? This is oversimplified, of course, but why would I buy a $27,000+ Saturn then option it to $30,000 when I could get a Cadillac CTS for $31,000?

Hyundai did this. They sold cheap cars (and everyone KNEW they were cheap!!!) and people bought them because of pricing. Now Hyundai is outselling the Big 3 and is developing an impressive lineup (probably using all that money they made pricing cars cheap :P ) If GM wants the same sucess, they'll have to price lower than market. That's the only way to get Japanese car drivers to chance GM. If they don't feel they're out a lot should they become disappointed with the car, they'll be more prone to buy it. If they like the car, all their friends will try it... and so on, and so on....
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    A 30K Altima has NAV and a lot of features that a 30K G35 absolutely doesnt, and by the time negotiations are done, that decked out 3.5SL can be had for 28K plus TTL. There are many people who would rather have the feature rich vehicle, given the same excellent engine (3.5L).... and there are still a lot of people who don't want an RWD car. Food for thought.

~alpha
    I agree with you Alpha01. By the time I get most of the near-lux models optioned up to where I want them, they look a lot closer to 40k than 30k. I definitely fall in the category of going for a model with a lower, initial sticker price and getting all the options rather than going for a stripped, higher sticker-price car. To me, things like heated seats and remote start make all the difference in the day-to-day usability of the vehicle -- now that I've had them, I can't do without them.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Saturn never offered OHV engines. Using DOHC engines was Saturns philosophy from the beginning. For this purpose they developed unique DOHC four used only in Saturns, or used Opel or Honda sourced V6.

Regarding price – fully loaded Camry also costs around, if not more than 30K. It is matter of how luxurious interior and how many gadgets do you want in car and how much do you want to sacrifice ride, braking and steering quality. On luxury brands for the same price you will get much better car, but in basic form. Some prefer basic car that drives good, others – gadgets, high quality leather and wood accents.

VW, Opel and Saturn – all are moving up. GM wants (Korean made) Chevy to take Opel place in Europe. VW has already moved up. VW Golf is not your typical econobox like Civic or Focus. All other VW cars look and even feel luxurious as well.
    I agree, $27K sounds a little high. That said, that must be for the V6 version as there is suppose to be a 2.4L 170hp base model also,
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I think that it is a little high, 25k would be just right.
    That's how AutoExpress decscibed the Opel/Vauxhall Vectra (the Eurpoean version of the Aura - http://vauxhall.co.uk/showroom/search/brand.jhtml?brand=Vectra&vehicleType=Car )

Now if GM doesn't dumb it down for the states and Canada (which they usually do), I think we might have a winner.

I'm assuming the Vectra is rear wheel drive while our version will be front wheel. Perhaps after its introduction they'll give us an all-wheel drive version.

Wouldn't that be funny - Saturn competing with BMW?!!! :P
    "Vectra isolates and insulates like an Audi A4" - EVO Magazine

"Comfortable, spacious, refined and reliable, the Vectra has the air of an executive class leader" - Auto Express

"...gives phenomenal acceleration and really does purr along." - Daily Star

(these are quotes from the website listed above after clicking "Find out more")

I'm surprised GM isn't trying to hype this car up. The 300 C had a lot of excitement before it was released. Shucks, there's more excitement for the yet-to-be-released Dodge Charger! We're probably doing more to hype up this car than GM. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for disappointment by reading the good reviews of the Vectra.
    I'm pessimistic. Ford dumbed down the Focus... in Europe it was available with three suspensions, and we only got the softest one, plus the middle one in a few select models.

Saturn's demographics (due to the no-haggle dealers) might be more reason for Saturn to feel that they have to change the car before it gets here.
    I understand the "dumb down" for the Malibu as it was suppose to be an entry level sedan. Saturn seems to be moving swiftly up market so my guess is that if it's "dumbed down", it won't be much. Saturn finally seems serious about selling some good product with the SKY and AURA.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Having had the pleasure of driving a loaded Vectra in the UK for a couple of weeks last year I can honestly say that the car is really nothing to write home about.

Admittedly I was driving a 2l turbo diesel but the car has long gears and is very slow. It seemed well appointed enough but could not describe it much because it was instantly forgettable.

For handling I would rate it as average to good. If the Vectra is dumbed down for the Saturn then it would be a very dull car.

All the reviews that that have been linked to above seem to give the car just an average rating. The statement "The most refined car this side of a BMW 5 Series" must have come about from a heavy dose of advertising dollars. Call me a cynic but in the UK from my time I lived there, the Vectra was only ever the car you got if your company gave you one as a fleet car. You would never choice to actually buy one for yourself.

I hope the Saturn Aura is a good car. The concept is certainly promising, but lets not get too excited about it being based on the Euro Vectra. Its not all that exciting!
    Was that an old Vectra or one of the new ones?

The Saturn Aura will have a 240hp 3.6L V6. Should be much more exciting to drive.
    I also read similar things related to your experience. That's why I had to be careful to find reviews based only on the new model, as vanman1 pointed out.

Nonetheless, your experience counts for something and is appreciated by me at least. I only hope that the new Aura/Vectra has the same reversal of opinion for Saturn & Opel/Vauxhall as the 300C and its siblings has done for Chrysler's image.
  • caddys4lifecaddys4life Member Posts: 15
    the new aura will be designed based on the opel vehicles in Europe not that much on Holden or Vauxhall. Nonetheless this car is going to be an amazing vehicle and will help to turn Saturn's image around. :)
    All the Opels are sold in England as Vauxhalls. The Holden Monaro is sold as an Opel or Vauxhall depending on where it is, but it's the only Australian car sold as one of those two brands. All the rest are designed together as Opels/Vauxhalls.
    kjnorman is correct in his review of previous Vectras. Here's a clip of what one article said about it:

"The old version had become so outdated that rivals never even bothered to consider it as a direct competitor. And so familiar that user-choosers usually opted for something else."

However, referring to the latest Vectra, the article concludes:

"So, the second generation Vectra has strong styling, is good to sit in, has a range of decent engines and is up to high class standards when it comes to handling. Given that its forgettable predecessor sold so strongly, it's understandable that this car has got off to a good start already."

We shall see.

http://carsearch.yahoo.co.uk/b/a/cr_12257007-141/100354123.html
    Great news. I am hoping for big things from Aura. It will very likely be on my short list in a couple of years.

Is this car coming in the fall? Does anyone know?
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    this car looks like it could be a big hit for GM!

judging from the last 36 posts i read the aura is attacting a lot of interest from non GM customers. i think that this is exactly what GM was hoping for.
  • froggersjcfroggersjc Member Posts: 51
    The overview here on edmunds continues to say spring 05, I am assuming that is not accurate. I too hope saturn hits a home run here, it is absolutely the only vehicle that GM may have that interests me in the least. They have some redeeming to do after killing off the only franchise that i liked. (I really liked my Olds intrigue). I never thought i'd do it after growing up a di-hard GM and American fan, but my eyes are starting to turn toward the Asian brands.
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    Exterior: Fantastic! Unfortunately I expect GM to slap a regular tail pipe on instead of the clean looking exhaust ports. Also I'm sure they will put on wheels that are too small with tires that have WAY too much sidewall.

Interior: Where to start? Wow there are a few problems here.
    1. Take all the pleather/plastic? material off the steering wheel and make it a tad smaller.
    2. The instument cluster.... talk about DULL! That area needs to be completely re-designed.
    3. The climate control/radio area... Pull all of that forward and TURN it toward the driver. Why don't manufacturers do this??? :confuse:
    4. The shifter area... make it smaller! Way too much wasted material there.
    5. The seats... WHAT were they thinking!! Those things are ugly!!!

The biggest problem this car has is it's front wheel drive! YUCK!!!! :mad: FWD has long overstayed it welcome!!! Get back to rear wheel drive GM.
    I think Aura is coming in the fall.

I'm looking at it for a replacement for my Intrigue also. Still love my Trig though, another 2-3 years before I will trade her.
    I don't understand the "Hony, I shrunk the kids" thinking. The shifter is the same size, and in fact, is the very same shifter used in the Maibu Maxx. It's actually smaller than most shifters in comparable vehicles (take a look at Pontiac G6, Camry) or the same size (Altima, Sonata). If you want big, jump behind the wheel of Bonneville!

" The instument cluster.... talk about DULL! That area needs to be completely re-designed."

You have got to be kidding!!! As earlier posts have shown, the interior is what most folks on this board like--especially the intrusment cluster. I certainly hope they don't take your suggestions. Then everythink will look like a Honda Accord. Just look at the new Sonata. Dull as dirt.

If GM does what you say, this car is destined for destruction. As the car stands, they're getting lots of positive feedback. To do what you say is for GM to do what they've always done to concept cars--dumb them down so they're no longer recognizable then wonder why nobody wants to buy it.

Tho I am with you on the FWD :-)
    Don't mess up that fantastic interior. That and the modern V6 are what makes this car interesting to me. As long as it doesn't drive like a pontiac, the G6 has no sporty feel whatsoever. Here they need to take a cue from the mazda6!
    "G6 has no sporty feel whatsoever"

I would disagree. The G6 handles very well. Did you test a GT??
    Yes, it was a GT that I test drove. Personally to me it has the same driving "feel" as my parents' Buick LeSabre. The steering is completely numb and there is no feedback from the road. Have you driven a mazda6? We own a mazda Protege and it is by far a more entertaining drive than any American car i have driven, speaking of which all my personal cars have been domestic. Of course i have never driven a corvette! :) My point was simply that I can't understand why GM can't make a car that is fun to drive. It can't be that hard with all those high-payed engineers?
    It is too bad though, i really looked forward to the G6. 5 minutes of driving one and the optimism was gone. I'm just hoping they don't give the Aura numb and sterile driving dynamics.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I rented a loaded Mazda6, with the V6, sports suspension and manumatic for a weekend last Fall. About three weeks later I rented a Malibu Maxx LT, which is heavier and not as stiffly sprung as the Pontiac G6 GT.

The Mazda6 and Maxx had pretty much the same, modern, stiffly sprung fwd feel. Moderately fun for fwd. Not as good as, say, a Saab, Volvo or Audi fwd with sport suspension. No where near the fun of a RWD. Neither of these cars are a match for their own brand mates such as the afore mentioned Covette, the RX8 or the Miata.

The only possible prop I would give the Mazda6 is the Mazda has conventional power steering. The Maxx (and G6) have pure electric power steering. But from an engineering perspective, electric power steering uses less energy, and is more reliable. GM's new vehicles have been trouncing Mazda in the JD Power rankings.

I think people decide a car is more sporty based on their preference for looks and brand. Unless you are willing to pay a whole lot more than either a G6 or a Mazda6, fwd is never going to be sporty. Saying one is less sporty than the other is meaningless.

If you want a sporty Saturn, get the Sky.
    The steering is electric so perhaps you didn't like that but the G6 will probably out handle a Mazda6. I drove one when it came out so my memory of the 6 is not fresh but.. I also think the G6 is a more attractive pkg over all.
    There is no doubt that a person's definition of "sporty" handling or responsive handling is subjective, but it seems to be quite agreed upon in the car community that the mazda6 is more entertaining to drive than GMs current offerings. (Car and Driver, Edmunds, Automobile Mag etc.). While i wish i had the bankrole to have a second dedicated sports car like a miata, S2000, or even corvette - for now 4 doors and entertaing must co-exist. I do hope a lot of American's feel your guys' enthusiam for GM, for i always root for the domestics, but there is nothing good out there for a young professional with a family. If the Aura handles like a CTS and isn't overpriced i'll be once more tempted by GM.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Edmunds says it may start under 25k.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Subjective, but ...

I believe a G6 did outhandle a Mazda6 in some categories. The buffs did not like the feel of the electric steering. You do not say how your G6 tester was equipped. If it had the panoramic sun roof, it gave up some handling (weight on top bad) for a pretty cool feature.

A young professional should be able to swing a pretty good lease deal on base CTS. Base rwd will always be more sporty to drive than a family sedan mid-market fwd. Even if your heart is set on buying, you could probably pick up a base CTS in the high 20s.

No fwd will handle like a CTS. Even if you pop for a Saab Aero or an Acura TSX, power to the front wheels feels different than power to the rear. It may still be fun. Some even prefer it. But it will not be the same.

My ideal garage would be a Sky for fun and an Aura for serious.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    if the aura drives and feels anyway like the G6 then to many of us this car will be a big let down. this car is targeting the TL not another car with GMs typical FWD driving dynamics.
    Maybe if i just keep pumping synthetic in my Intrepid it'll run forever and i'll just buy a sky to get my weekly fix. Oh and logic1, a professional yes, but 4 years of grad school = nastly little student loan bills :cry: !
    The TL is a lofty goal indeed. If i had the money, that is the car that I would be driving right now. If they keep the price on the V6 reasonable and get halfway to that goal - here comes a bigger and better car payment. Although if it had rear wheel drive and stability control, even better.
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    Nope I'm not kidding. Three gauges equals plain jane! The seats look like something out of a 80's Buick. The steering wheel is to big too! And the radio/climate controls are too far away from the driver. I don't know how much there thinking of charging but I want much more that than.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Version with 3.6 does have stability control, I think ;)
    I was reading the Aura will not be available until spring/summer 2006.

:-(

Oh well, I won't be in the market till 2007 / 8 anyway, just wanted to see one sooner.