Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>But simply twisting a non-traditional key in a still traditional manor somehow escapes them. Go figure.

The difference is simple - with a traditional key, you have to turn it all the way or you can't remove the key, there is no chance of error. With the keyless switch, you don't have that fail safe. I thought I had it down with no problem until Sunday. I was only off by a millimeter, but that made all the difference. I'd probably have had a dead battery if I'd left it parked for several days.

Your condescension aside, I suspect most owners do get it, but on occasion have hurried a bit to get out of the car and made the same mistake I made.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I'm not sure what there is to "get" :confuse: I own an '04 FX35 w/ Keyless entry and have NEVER had any issues whatsoever; no learning curve to go thru or anything. Since so many RL owners are having problems I suspect that there must be something about the RL's system design that leads to it.

BTW: I have NEVER seen a dead-battery discussion that is tied to the keyless entry system on ANY of the various Infiniti FX forums I participate in! Either RL owners are in more of a "hurry" than FX owners are; or the RL HAS a design flaw!!!!!
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Don't blame the victim. If people with much above average intelligence (people on this board!) are having dead-battery problems, then the real problem is in Acura's design of the system. I have read of absolutely no problems with the new Lexus GS series and its keyless start system. Are you saying Lexus buyers are smarter? Or is it that Toyota's design is fool (!) proof and superior to Acura's?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I'm not saying either is the case. I'm just saying that the Acura system functions exactly like a traditional key and I'm not seeing how something that simple could be "overlooked" as it were. It would seem that since push button start is a more foreign concept that it would see more problems/complaints because of the process of using it. But I haven't seen a single report of it in those applications. I just can't quite wrap my brain around the notion that these, agreed, higher-than-average intellegence people would have these mishaps with something so simple. All you have to do is turn the thing all the way back until it stops.

But, being in the I.T. field, I will admit that sometimes just ONE thing or another can be too simple on an over-complicated machine. The thought, "It can't be that easy" will often enter the mind when, in fact, it truly is that easy. This appears to be the case with the RL's "keyless" start.
  • billfinkribillfinkri Member Posts: 4
    The car, (my 2K5 RL, anyway) beeps like crazy when you get out of the car and your ignition is "half-way" off.
    My '04 FX35 functions "exactly" like a traditional key in that there is a knob that must be turned to turn ON the car and to crank the engine. That very same knob is used to shut off the engine and turn off the car. Yet there are NO (make that ZERO) incidents that I am aware of on any FX forum where an owners battery has died.

Why is it only RL owners that this is happening to, IF its not the car? :confuse:
  • billfinkribillfinkri Member Posts: 4
    My 2K5 RL works flawlessly with the Sony Ericsson phones. (T-Mobile's OR Cingular's - I have them both.)

My phone shows the battery and signal strength.

I had to read the manual and on-line documentation 'bout four times before I realized the "star" or "notation" next to some of those phones. They said something like, (some features are not available on all models) which led me to getting a $49 Sony Ericsson cell phone.

Been happy ever since.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Perhaps the Infiniti system includes some sort of battery-saver feature that turns off all accessories even if the "key" is not completely turned to OFF?
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    IMO, it would reduce confusion if you could rely on the GOODBYE display to confirm that everything is totally shut down. Similar to shutting down a computer, if it said "sayonara" on the final click, then people could rely on that.
    I think that would help, but I'd bet there'd still be a large group of people who would not bother to look for the "Goodbye" before running off. nebraskaguy mentioned the car cannot be locked unless the key is turned all the way off. But that's not foolproof because a large % of people don't lock their cars when parked inside a private, locked garage.

It comes back to the question, how much do you need to do to protect people from themselves?! :confuse:

But I would be very interested to know what technological measure is employed by Infiniti to avoid similar "accidents".
  • hadhad Member Posts: 32
    FYI,

You have the option to adjust the external temperature = or - I believe 5 degrees. See owners manual
    It comes back to the question, how much do you need to do to protect people from themselves?!

But I would be very interested to know what technological measure is employed by Infiniti to avoid similar "accidents".

I don't think Infiniti is "doing" anything - they are just designed correctly. Apparently FX owners do not "need" to be protected from themselves! I must say that my decision is swinging toward the M35 after this line of conversation!
    OK, but how exactly are they "designed correctly"? What's different?
    Could we please take a time-out and step back for a second. First, a couple of RL owners on here talked about their dead batteries. Second, a couple of RL owners said their dealers speculated that their problems might have been caused by not turning their ignition all the way off.

From those few posts, the discussions on here have degenerated into condescending rants about how stupid RL owners must be if they can't figure out how to turn their cars completely off when they work exactly like a traditional switch with a key. Now we're seeing a bunch of rants against Acura for their supposed flawed design that makes it difficult to turn the ignition all the way off and that is apparently at the root of all the problems.

All of this is as a result of a couple of postings!! I don't see any evidence of a massive problem that could possibly justify all of the anti-Acura and anti-Acura driver posts which I've read on here the last couple of days.

Don't get me wrong, there may still be a problem that is causing the dead battery issue, but to attribute it all to stupid drivers or some design flaw in the keyless ignition switch is not warranted by the evidence I've seen here.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    I think the dead battery problem may be greater than a couple of posts here--is that all it's been--would suggest. For example, a friend of mine, a lawyer who is computer savvy, has a TL and has had dead battery problems in that car, too. I think the problem is probably more widespread than Nebraska suggests. CR reports that the Acura TL last year had only an "average" reliability rating (highly unusual for Japanese cars). Also, besides the dead battery problem, haven't a number of people reported RL problems with locking, unlocking, etc. related problems to the keyless entry/start?

And by the way, compared to the RL, the new Lexus GS does not even have a "Problems and Solutions" board on Edmunds. Does that suggest no problems? Maybe. Granted the GS has not been out very long, so problems may not have accumulated yet.
    Calm down, nebraskaguy. Nobody's giving rants against the Beloved Honda/Acura company, and nobody is calling Acura owners stupid.

What I was saying is that maybe some of the owners are simply getting confused by Acura's version of keyless start. For whatever reason, they aren't realizing that the thing is just a built-in key. It's function has ZERO difference from a traditional key other than not having to insert or remove a key from the ignition switch. You still have to twist it through its various positions. That's all. No need to get defensive or offended and try to downplay a possible issue.

Like the saying goes, for every 1 person that has an issue or feels a certain way, there's probably 100 more just like him that aren't saying anything.
    And by the way, compared to the RL, the new Lexus GS does not even have a "Problems and Solutions" board on Edmunds. Does that suggest no problems?

Not necessarily. The Problems and Solutions board has to be created. The RL didn't have one either until I created it. The RL's problems were being conveniently hidden within the regular board, so to the casual viewer, it would seem the RL was perfect. I felt it was shady and unfair to people who might have problems or concerns and need to find a possible solution without having to skim through all the "Acura is perfection" posts. I think every vehicle forum here should have a Problems and Solutions board.

That being said, if a Problems and Solutions board was created for the new GS, you'd find posts in it as well. There's no such thing as a perfect car, no matter how Relentlessly it is Pursued. :P
    Calm down, nebraskaguy. Nobody's giving rants against the Beloved Honda/Acura company, and nobody is calling Acura owners stupid.

One of your originals comments was "The thing works EXACTLY like a traditional key in having to twist it to the various positions! If the owners would simply realize that, there would be no dead battery issues." A pretty clear inference from that comment was that some RL owners must be stupid if they can't figure it out. You conveniently ignored my statement that even though the two operate the same, the difference is that with a keyed switch, you can't accidentally not turn it all the way off since you can't remove the key unless you do. With the keyless switch, there isn't that fail-safe.
    I think the dead battery problem may be greater than a couple of posts here--is that all it's been--would suggest.

That very well may be. However, my point was, that based on a couple of posts here about a couple of dealers who suggested the problems might be caused by owners not completely switching the ignition off, postings have segued into criticisms of Acura for some supposed design flaw with the keyless switch. All this on the basis of a couple of dealers' speculations.
    nebraskaguy, I didn't "infer" anything. If that's how you took it, then that's your problem. None of the other owners seem to have taken it that way. My comment was simply that the owners are overlooking that simple fact in light of all the other complex systems in the car.

And I didn't "conveniently ignore" anything, either. With some cars you can remove the key without the ignition switched all the way back; when they're malfunctioning. And based on your statement that it's possible to not turn the key all the way back and have everything turn off, it's might very well be a design flaw on Acura's part. You'd wonder why they didn't have the forethought to have a chime activate when the driver's door is opened and key isn't turned all the way back. I was trying to avoid going down the "design flaw" road and leave it at a simple owner oversight, but since you insist that I'm calling the owners stupid...

Now you're dancing on a double-edged sword. Do you want to insist that some of your comrades are stupid or do you want to concede that Acura made a mistake in the design of the keyless start systems function?
  • 18pctgray18pctgray Member Posts: 6
    Gentlemen, in another RL forum it was announced that most of the dead battery issues stem from a flaw in the internal trunk release mechanism.

Here's what happens: when the engine is turned off and the truck in opened using the internal trunk release (on the driver's door) it continues to drain the battery. I can't tell you why. However, this creates a dead battery many times when someone goes to the airport, takes their luggage out of the trunk and leaves the car for several days.

However, this can be avoided by either using the internal trunk release prior to turning off the ignition or opening the trunk with either the key fob or external trunk release handle.

Prior to this discovery many dealers have looked for logical reasons this may have happened and have found that driver error revolving around the keyless ignition made sense. As a result, many people may still believe that it is a driver error issue when it has to do with a manufacturing error.

The net result is that Acura RL drivers are no more stupid than anyone else who spends $50K on a first model year car. (That includes me.) ;)

Hope that helps.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Well said 18pctgray!!!

Everyone needs to calm down. I think I will go to the M35 and GS300 boards and add a discussion for problems.
  • kacuratkacurat Member Posts: 33
    I seem to be having this very strange message coming up every once in awhile (each month or two). The message is that the active front headlights are not working. It suggests shutting the car off and then starting it again, if it doesn't go away to contact Acura. Usually when I do shut off the car and restart it, it doesn't return. But I have no idea why I am getting this message.

Karen :confuse:
    You can shut off the active headlights with a button on the dash. I assume you haven't activated this, right? I believe it resets each time you restart the car, so that would not explain the intermittent message you are receiving, unless you are shutting it off with the override button somehow.
    The car, (my 2K5 RL, anyway) beeps like crazy when you get out of the car and your ignition is "half-way" off.

Mine does, as well. However, this particular time, it wasn't "half-way" off, it was just a millimeter from being all the way off, and the car did not beep like crazy. I've not been able to recreate the situation. No matter how I try, I can't get it to stop at the point it did that time. I don't know what happened.
  • frugalguyfrugalguy Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2002 RL and I have used regular gasoline since purchasing it used with 9000 miles. I get 22 mpg hwy (90% of my driving) and the owner's manual indicates that the vehicle can use regular with a slight drop in Horsepower (which I would never notice). Am I correct to assume that the antiknock sensor handles this well and that the recommendation for premium by Acura is not for significant operating reasons?
    I am not sure what button on the dash you are talking about. I think the message is indicating that my running daytime lights are not working properly. The reason I believe this is I think that is what they refer to them as when you put the parking break on. Either way, I have no idea....
    There are 2 buttons on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. The one labeled AFS OFF manually turns off the adaptive front lighting system. (It's just below the button for VSA OFF, which turns off the vehicle stability assist system.) But shutting off the AFS doesn't seem to explain the message you appear to be getting.

AFS has nothing to do with daytime running lights. There is a message which may display in the center pod that says DRL (daytime running lights) is off, which emits when you have the ignition on and the parking brake on.

I don't think I'm really helping you with your problem. Sorry....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes you can assume that.
  • hadhad Member Posts: 32
    This AFS issue happened 4 times over the last 6 months. The last time I was within 2 blocks of the dealer and brought it in never turning the ignition off. They could not find the problem. However, since that time it never came on again.

Also having problems with rear exhaust all over (white car) bumper I was told they are looking into a fix. The exhaust should be extended more.

And, the front bumper is chipping up. Told the car is low to the ground. Will have to repaint within the next 6 months. No fix.
    What is the nature of your "AFS issue"? Can you provide a little more detail?

I have a white RL as well. The black residue around the tailpipes cleans off easily with just about any household cleaner. It's not that big a deal, IMO. Retrofitting longer tailpipes would not look very good, IMO.
    And, the front bumper is chipping up.

That means you're following too closely behind cars. A VERY good wax job will prevent a remarkable amount of chipping and pitting. I highly recommend you get a few coats of Zaino on it right away to minimize the damage.

I put Zaino on my car (don't have an Infiniti M yet) and after almost 3 years, I don't have any chips or dings in my front fascia. If you keep the surface slick enough, pebbles, sand, etc. will deflect away instead of chip away at your paint.

My other half has a two year newer car and she gets chips all the time because she doesn't wax her car. About the only thing I have to worry about damaging my front end is full-fledged rocks/stones or large road debris. I've even had wood kicked up in front of me that left no damage; not even a scratch. Zaino is your friend.

Hey! What happened to the smilies??
    And, the front bumper is chipping up.

That means you're following too closely behind cars. A VERY good wax job will prevent a remarkable amount of chipping and pitting. I highly recommend you get a few coats of Zaino on it right away to minimize the damage.

Not necessarily. Parallel parkers will do that too. Because I have the back-up sensor, I've not bumped my rear bumper into anyone else. However, I still have some chips due to other people hitting my bumper. One nice thing about the color I chose, Blue Pearl, the chips don't show very much since the black under the paint isn't that much darker than the paint. If you have a light colored car, the chips will really show up.
    I guess I have no idea then what exactly the AFS is, or what it does. If I figure that out, then maybe I can figure out why it gives me that message.

Has anyone had problems with an accident indicator (the yellow triangle) never going away for an accident that occurred 2 months ago? I had the car updated and used the new DVD update that came, but it is still appearing. :confuse:
    Maybe they haven't removed the body yet? Still waiting for Grissom and the rest of his CSI team to finish up? :P
    I asked this before, but no one responded...

What would you do with your old steering wheel after the wood one was installed? Everyone said to keep it, but it is just taking up space for now.

Thanks,

Karen
    Okay, I just can't resist...

TOP TEN SUPER FUN THINGS TO DO WITH A SPARE RL STEERING WHEEL

1. Auction it off on ebay to someone who wants to retrofit it to their Civic coupe.
    2. Pretend you're a rapper and attach it to a chain and wear it around your neck.
    3. Brag that you own the only leather-edition frisbee at the beach or park.
    4. Hang it in the family room as early 20th century avant garde artwork.
    5. Bury it in a time capsule with the caption "Precision Crafted Religious Artifact"
    6. Return it to the dealer and loudly complain that the buttons aren't working.
    7. Toss it in the air, take photos, and sell to National Enquirer as UFO evidence.
    8. Sit on a park bench and steer imaginary car, making "vroom vroom" sounds.
    9. Weld it to the passenger side and instantly own an Acura Driver Training car.
    10. Order 3 more steering wheels, plus 2 chainsaw's, and refine juggling routine.

Okay, make it eleven...

11. Remove the airbag, and wear the steering wheel on your head like a hat.

I recommend option #1....in fact, there are several already on sale there.
  • steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    That top ten list is truly funny!!
    Amazing what a few pints of Guinness can do to the imagination!

#12....You can also attach it to the roof of your car, so the mother-in-law has a place to sit and truly appreciate SH-AWD

Time for another cold one...
    Ok, that was hysterical!!! :P
  • rl newbierl newbie Member Posts: 17
    With the keyless remote is sitting on the front passenger seat and the engine running, someone in the back seat opens the rear door to exit. The message comes on about keyless remote not in the vehicle.

Anyone else having this problem?

Anyone have a solution?

My dealer says they'll be happy to reprogram the computer again, but they don't really know what is causing the problem.
  • dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    Addendum to earlier message. The fix for the suspension noise lasted about three weeks. Now, the same noise is back and the front brakes also squeal the first few times in the morning. Acura dealer phoned Acura about the suspension noise and they said they were aware of other cars that had this and are working on a fix. The noise stops when the brakes are applied, even when driving over bumps.

Has anyone else had this issue?
  • dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    Did your noise ever return? I had the same problem, but the noise returned after 3 weeks. Do you know which wheel the brake pad was on and inner or outer? Did they replace any parts or just tighten?

Thanks
  • bucketsbuckets Member Posts: 6
    is anyone having this problem? when a new piece comes on, the screen does not show what is playing for about 25 seconds.was okay until dealer installed an update to the realtime traffic unit. have been back twice to have fixed. first time dealer disconnected battery. seem to work when i left dealer, but then starting acting up, with delay about 5 seconds then to 25 seconds. went back to dealer . they installed new unit. worked okay for a day. now back to 25 second delay.
  • rlownerrlowner Member Posts: 12
    i've had the same problem since the XM module was replaced. Have reported it to my dealer, but no fix has been identified yet....
  • rlownerrlowner Member Posts: 12
    after several frustratig months of SH-AWD and VSA failure messages, my dealer tore the inside of my car apart and traced every wire from the front end control module back to the rear drive. finally found a loose connection on a bulkhead connector behind the rear seat. tightened the screws and, viola' no more messages!

now if they can just fix the XM message center display update problem, i will finally have gotten the last remaining bug out of my car.
  • steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    I'm having the exact same problem (20 second delay in display of new artist and song) and it started when the recall service was done. Not really earth shattering, but it is a small annoyance. Please notify the board if anyone finds a solution. Thanks!

I have also just started having some shudder and erratic idle on a cold start, like first thing in the morning--and only occasionally--particularly if I am driving near idle speed or very slow. Ironically, my RL never had this problem before the recall (one of the recall fixes was designed to address this problem), only several weeks after the recall. Took it in to the dealer, but they could not replicate the problem--said all is within specs, so no fix needed. This is also somewhat frustrating. Love the car otherwise, but the erratic idle is a causing me some concern.
  • steve95008steve95008 Member Posts: 11
    There is no setting to shut-off the annoying chime when the lights are in AUTO mode. I have complained to Acura several times and they keep saying it is "working as designed". So I asked "What am I expected to do in response to that chime?". Their answer... "shut the door". My question "so how do I get out of the car with the door shut?" Their response "The chime is a reminder to shut the door so that the (customizable) headlight shutoff timer will activate. Leaving the door open w/lights on will drain battery". My response: "So will leaving door open w/o lights on, but that doesn't trigger a chime.". Bottom line: don't expect a fix anytime soon... :mad:
    I've received 4 or 5 of those messages. When I took it in for its last service, the diagnostic messages were still present, but they could not find any problem and/or cause for the messages. The first time it happened, I was passing a semi-truck in heavy rain (lots of water flying around) and I thought that might have been the cause. Subsequent occurances were during dry weather, which blows that theory.
    Since my dealer did some recall work (replaced XM box, door handles and something else), I've thought the lumbar area of the seat has felt slighty warm (as if the seat heater is on very low). I've been wondering if this was my imagination or just the weather warming up... After seeing this post, I'm beginning to believe there might be a problem. Anyone else out there experiencing this too??? :confuse: