Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    Anybody had any experience with the optional back up sensor accessory that Acura offers for the RL? Also, anyone added the spoiler or wood sterring wheel and any problems reported? The spoiler seem to improve the looks of the car a lot! Also, what are your thoughts on favorite color, inside and exterior?
  • randyl712randyl712 Member Posts: 29
    Over $600 (PLUS INSTALLATION!!!) for the backup sensor - no thanks. I'll turn around, or even get out of the darn car to save a grand ;)
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    Anybody had any experience with the optional back up sensor accessory that Acura offers for the RL?

I had the backup sensor installed on my RL about a month after I purchased it. It is really great. It makes parallel parking a snap - which isn't easy for the RL without the sensor since you can't see where the car ends. I also like it for parking in my garage at work. It's an awful garage with pillars, illegally parked cars, etc., that make it a nightmare to maneuver. With the backup sensors, I can navigate the various obstacles easily.

As far as the $600 list price, that's negotiable, as with everything related to purchasing a car..
    As far as the $600 list price, that's negotiable, as with everything related to purchasing a car..

Okay... so what did you pay for it including installation?
  • kacuratkacurat Member Posts: 33
    After 7 months my subscription was cancelled. XM said the dealer signed me up for 6 months only. I know with the RL you get 1 year free. I called the dealer (Paragon) and got no response, what else is new...

I finally called Acura headquarters, they are looking into it.

Has this happened to anyone else? I am pissed, I love my XM!
    Okay... so what did you pay for it including installation?

I think it was about $500, but I don't recall exactly.
  • philbakerphilbaker Member Posts: 12
    I'm experiencing a clicking sort of noise in the left door or under the left part of the dashboard. It sounds like a relay click, sort of like the door locks but not as loud. They occur several times over a few seconds and can last for 10-15 minutes or go away for a while. It occurs only while driving at most any speed. Anyone experience this or have any idea of the cause?
  • steven9179steven9179 Member Posts: 36
    I have heard this noise--it is an auto door lock repeat noise. I have been told by acura they are looking into the fix--not found yet I understand.. I have been told that the disconnect of the battery cables and subsequent reconnect does fix this ---I will have it done by the dealer before my next car trip in about 2 weeks

hope this helps

steve
  • jsmaz1jsmaz1 Member Posts: 16
    My 2-week old RL's front-right window will not go down. In addition, my seat memory buttons are completely inoperable--no lights, no indicator at all.

I am dropping my car off to Acura for service to take care of these issues tomorrow.
  • flyaway123flyaway123 Member Posts: 9
    Rest easy. You are having a similar problem as I had but all is well. The dealer checked/replaced a fuse or two, reset the car and all is working fine.

Don't you love this car.
  • birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    All this talk of mechanical or electrical problems with Acura RL on the message board has me worried. I may be buying or leasing a new 2005 RL soon. Will all these problems have been corrected in the stock now being sold by the dealer or should I expect these troubles being reported here? When problems are discovered with a new model like this, isn't the dealer supposed to make factory corrections in the stock on hand? Or, should I wait and get the 2006 model?
  • jsmaz1jsmaz1 Member Posts: 16
    I do love this car!

I have never purchased a new vehicle that didnt have a thing or two the matter with it. So, whether its the '05 RL or '05 Mercedes, there is no doubt that there will be things that crop up. The biggest item you need to look at is how inconvenient will these issues be to you; and will the dealership effectively and quickly take care of them?

I have no doubt that Acura will take care of everything and that these issues will be addressed with the proper fixes. Besides, most of the issues Acura has are "convenience" items, not engine issues--which is what I had with my BMW, Mercedes, Jeep, Audi and just about every other car out there (but never with my Acura MDX)......
  • acusactoacusacto Member Posts: 7
    Bought by RL about 10 days ago and everything is working well. (I do agree with earlier design complaint about the warning chime going on whenever opening the door while headlights are on auto.)

The day after I got the car, I gave it to a valet who must have separated the keyless remote from being near the car. When I got the car back, it displayed a diagnostic meassage saying that the keyless remote had been separated from the car, and that the car will not start the next time without the keyless remote being near.

Even though I had the keyless remote with me in the car ever since the valet incident, the diagnostic message will not go away. There are message options to have the message read, or to locate nearest Acura dealer, but there is no option I can find to delete this message.

Anyone have a solution?
  • steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    There is a very easy solution which has been branded the, "three finger salute" on this board. Please refer to my message number 255 on this board. If you need more help, let me know--I've had to delete the message a few times and it's very easy to do, once you know the secret!
    Thank you Steveindy. Three-finger salute worked like a charm.
  • smolnarsmolnar Member Posts: 5
    I ditto the comment made by the TL owner. I, too, have a 2005 TL and the low beams definitely don't light up the road. I live in the Bay Area on well lit roads, and didn't really notice it a lot until I took a long drive up the coast. The high beams could land space ships !
  • echangechang Member Posts: 5
    To Stuckintraffiq:
    Your post sounds like you are aware or part of some effort to rectify the many incorrect traffic problems with XMNavTraffic. Is there a phone number, email or website we can use to report the errors we see everyday? The incorrect traffic information (at least in San Francisco bay area) is absolutely frustrating, and just makes the system useless. If the traffic info does not get fixed, I will not resubscribe to XM after my free 1st year trial period.
    Below are examples of the incorrect traffic information I see almost everyday. Note the errors are usually showing heavy traffic when actual traffic is light or vice versa. I have not seen significant errors with accidents and incident locations.
    1. I-85 between I-280 and I-101.
    2. I-237 between I-101 and I-880
    3. I-280 between I-85 and I-880
    Has anyone been told that a TSB is imminent for the auto-headlight-reminder-ding issue?
  • getakeygetakey Member Posts: 23
    agree with you on frustrating traffic data in bay area.
    Often 92 (San Mateo Bridge) is wrong in reverse commute direction. Will sometimes show yellow or red when everyone is going 70+

Traffic flow on 280 has dissappeared from mine, but they seem to have added some stretches on 580 that were not there before.

Also, the traffic flow has a signficant lag time even when it eventually becomes accurate. I see an incident icon appear pretty quickly, but if I'm in the area and experience slow traffic, flow does not show for at least 15 minutes. Similarly, does not clear back to blue for at least 15 minutes after clearing.

My RL does not show any traffic info 30% of the time - do you experience this as
    well?
    If your RL does not show traffic info and XM radio is working, it's most likely due to the SW. Acura had a SW patch sometime in May to fix this. I brought my Acura in for an update and it's not failed to show traffic so far since then.

You may be right there is a lag time when the flow info becomes accurate, but I've not been able to validate it since I don't stay in the location long enough to check. If it's really updating after 15 minutes or more, it makes the system even more useless.

I also wonder if the flow inaccuracy is partly due to car-pool lanes, since the website claims it shows the average of the lanes. Another thought is maybe only newly renovated lanes (like carpool lanes) have the underground sensors, but not the standard lanes. If so, the flow info is wrong based on the usually free carpool lane. Any thoughts on these hypotheses?
    I took my RL in to get the front-end rattle fixed after I read here about the Service Bulletin. It's now fixed and it's wonderful to drive it on city streets now - it's like driving a different car.

Now, if they could only fix the headlight warning chime!
    thanks for feedback on sw patch - I'll check with dealer. (I'm also having some volume issues with XM - there is a significant volume difference between some stations - perhaps all these problems are related.) Are you talking about the recall item or is this a separate patch?

That said, my observation of incorrect flow is generally on freeways that do not have carpool lanes.

I have yet to be able to use the system to make a decision on alternate routes. One-time I almost changed course because of displayed flow problems, but it did not materialize when I got to the displayed problem area. The other route would have been significantly longer.
    I do experience the volume difference between some XM stations, but I thought it is normal even for other XM radios. The SW patch did not fix this.

I also found out from XM website that we can report traffic errors from XMNavTraffic by calling XM Traffic at this number - 1-866-374-9396. I called this morning when flow was incorrect on CA-85. Surprisingly, there was no hold time, and I reported the problem. The person I spoke to informed me he will get someone to look into this.

I think ALL of us RL owners who use (or try to use) XMNavTraffic need to call into 1-866-374-9396 to report traffic errors when we encounter them. If XM hears enough complaints from us AND if they get enough information on the error locations, they may finally fix the problems. Come on everyone, CALL XM TO REPORT YOUR TRAFFIC PROBLEMS!!
    I was informed by XM website to call 1-866-374-9396 when our XMNavTraffic on RL shows traffic errors (like incorrect traffic flow and accidents). If all of us call XM when we encounter these traffic errors to complain as well as to provide information on the errors, XM may finally fix the problems.

I called this morning to report a flow error while driving to work, and there was no hold time. The person I spoke to informed me he will get someone to look into the problem I reported.

LET'S ALL HELP EACH OTHER AND CALL XM TO REPORT THE TRAFFIC ERRORS YOU SEE.
  • bucketsbuckets Member Posts: 6
    regarding messages 196 197 and 199. xm screen not in sync with what is playing. has anyone had this problem fixed? i have been waiting since july for acura to call. no response. thanks
    thanks for the call-in number. They will get plenty of calls from me

Regarding the volume changes between channels, I called XM support and they said that was not supposed to be the case and to go back to the dealer.
  • jsakabuckjsakabuck Member Posts: 11
    My RL is just one week old. After years of being a real stickler for regular tire pressure checks, I'm happy to have the TPMS. Of course, old habits die hard, and I got out my digital tire pressure gauge and checked the tire pressure this morning after a chilly overnight. I found a 2 psi difference between my digital gauge and the TPMS on the car. (My gauge showed 32 fronts, 30 rears, while the TPMS indicated 30 fronts, 28 rears. Has anyone else experienced this? Can this system be adjusted? Has anyone else experienced this? Can this system be adjusted? Which should I trust.......new technology or my trusty gauge? Any input is appreciated.
  • michaelbmenakemichaelbmenake Member Posts: 12
    Trust your gauge. The TPMS is NOT accurate for pressure. However, it will alert you to an incipient flat. I don't believe the system can be calibrated
  • spacklebucketspacklebucket Member Posts: 5
    I found my TMPS to be off by more than 2 psi.....and I double checked 2 different pressure gauges. The pressure gauges were correct while the TPMS was off by 4-6 psi. All in all, its still a really cool thing to have.
  • skitappsskitapps Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone encounted losing the titles of your pre-set xm channels. It wasn't like this when I first got my car, but now, when I turn the car on all but the current xm channel are labeled with only the channel number. If I change to FM and then back to XM I get the labels back. Also if I just select another xm channel that channel label comes back.
  • skitappsskitapps Member Posts: 2
    I presumably programmed all doors to unlock when I shift to park. But none of the doors are unlocking. Anyone encounter this and have a fix?
    The same thing has happened to me ever since I bought the car a month ago. I asked the service folks at the dealer about this, and they claimed everything on the XM was working fine. I don't think so. So I too am looking for the answer. is it Acura or XM?
    my experience with XM:
    Channel Titles go off/on - I have assumed it is a signal/reception issue.
    Difference in volume levels between channels - called XM and they claim this should not be the case. I have yet to take this to dealer because it is variable. Sometimes it is significant, other times not.
    Bose noise cancellation - I do not notice any noise cancellation using CD or XM. Have tried turning off/on while driving - no difference in road noise.

Anyone else have similar issues. Would like to have some background before taking to dealer. My experience is that these issues will be hard to explain.
  • jsakabuckjsakabuck Member Posts: 11
    There has been a considerable amount of discussions on http://www.acurazine.com/ regarding this very subject. The talk over there has been that there is a subtantial delay in the refresh time for song titles when a song ends and new one begins. Acura has traced the problem to the XM unit and will be issuing a Technical Service Bulletin very shortly. Keep pressing your dealer for updates on when the TSB is issues. I believe Acura is replacing the radio units.
    The talk over there has been that there is a subtantial delay in the refresh time for song titles when a song ends and new one begins.

I've never experienced this. I've only had two problems with XM. Several months ago, I kept getting a message saying my XM was updating and I could receive no channels but #1 and the emergency channel. When I called XM, they refreshed it. After it happened the third time, they told me I needed a new unit, which the dealer installed. The second problem - two weeks ago, the channel kept changing. It wouldn't stay on a channel longer than 10 seconds. After being parked and restarting the car, the problem disappeared and has never recurred.

Other than that, no problems, and I love XM. I will definitely renew my contract when the free period ends next month.
  • tonyinoctonyinoc Member Posts: 23
    I had exactly this problem in San Diego beginning on Friday afternoon. XM worked fine all day; I parked in the late afternoon and after starting up, I got the "XM updating" message. I didn't get XM the remainder of Friday and most of Saturday, until about 9 p.m., after returning to Orange County, when all channels were back and working fine, again after parking and restarting. So far no problems today either (Sunday). I'll wait and see if this occurs again before calling XM, but I will mention it to the dealer next service.
    Haven't noticed the difference in volume levels in XM stations, but will check.

Have the same experience with no noise cancellation--can't tell any difference.

Another experience is that, during the first 90 days, Acura link is supposed to send daily feature guide messages. My experience is that these are arriving about once a week.

Also, when driving in SF Bay Area for the first time, I noticed the real time traffic data were wrong. For example, showed congestion in several places and an accident where these did not exist. Similar experiences ar reported in Acurzine web site.

I agree the dealer service folks are not receptive to these issues. After explaining some of these porbkems to one of them he trld me they couldn't replicate the problems, and that I know more abouth the tecnololgy than he does. Not very comforting.

Anyway, if anyone elarns of an Acura technical service bulletin or other fix, please let us all know.
    Agree with you on the traffic in SF. I have yet to find the SF traffic flow reliable enough to make a decision about alternate routes. Most of the time its wrong and I have been calling the Navtraffic support line to report.

The dealer situation is very bad. First many of the problems are sporadic, so its virtually impossible to reproduce. Also, they do not know how things are supposed to work, so you tell them of a problem and they have no clue what you are talking about.

I'm taking mine in for an "A" service this week, so I hope to bring up some of the other issues.
  • lynnminnylynnminny Member Posts: 49
    Please -- if you are still here, let me know. I also have a 2005 Acural RL bought in November. The thing is just awful!! As of today they have had it at the dealership for two weeks!!! They are trying to fix a noise in the back end. It sounds like the car is falling apart. They have replace many parts and still can't fix it. It is the second time for this problem. Not to mention the door locks and other problems. This is our third Acura and it is a major disappointment!!

Thank You!!

Debra
    SUCCESS!

The good news - Took in for an A Service and Dealer said there were 3 TSB items - one of which was the XM fix. Artist/Title change instantly. I believe they change out the AcuraLink copntrol unit.

The bad news - did not seem to fix traffic flow, but I need to verify more tomorrow.

They could not do one of the TSBs as they did not have the software patch info - it has something to do with Onstar (which I have yet to use anyway).
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    Once your free twelve months are up, do you plan to pay for NavTraffic? Curious as to whether you think it's worth it. I'm doubtful.
    Once your free twelve months are up, do you plan to pay for NavTraffic? Curious as to whether you think it's worth it. I'm doubtful.

Yes, you have to pay. I believe it's $3.95 on top of the XM subscription fee. Unless they get the problems fixed, I'd have to agree it's doubtful that's it'll be worth it.
  • sgl1sgl1 Member Posts: 34
    NavTraffic isn't perfect, but it's pretty convenient. I will re-subscribe for $3.95/month. It works pretty well for me in the northern VA area (Rt. 66 and 495). . As for On-Star, I don't think so. . .
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    Yes, I do realize that I would have to pay to continue it, my question is whether you feel it's worth it.
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    NavTraffic is great in concept and I think the interface is fine in terms of being able to read the differences in traffic volumes in various areas. What is missing in the Seattle area is enough consistent accurate information that you can actually rely upon it. I am an early adopter having purchased the RL in October 04. Early on there was considerable geographic gaps where no traffic information was available even though the state DOT has complete and accurate graphic information on its website, if we only could access it while traveling in the RL.

In recent months more information has become available and there seems to now be pretty complete coverage, BUT the informaton is often wrong and thus unreliable. I want it to work and am willing to pay for it but at this point if they ask me next month to begin paying for it I will have to reject. Since this first year has been pretty much a beta test and the testing seems to continue, I would like to see Acura/XM extend the service at no charge for another 6 months or so to see if the accuracy improves. Once the service is turned off most including myself will not likely return but if we can continue to get the service while the beta testing continues then it is more likely that we will get hooked when it becomes reliable. Same thing goes for the XM service as there has been enough issues with it during the first year that it would be good cusomer relations to extend the free service period until they are sure they have all the kinks out. I am on my second XM receiver and I suspect with the new service bulletin out it may again be replaced next week when I go in for servicing. Outside of the XM receiver, which is not an Acura product, my RL has been outstanding this first year.

My comments about the NavTraffic service should be taken as only applicable to the Seattle metro area as other areas may be having better or worse experiences.
  • steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    I took my RL in for unrelated service, and I too was told there is a Technical Service Bulletin recalling and replacing the Acuralink Control module. Once the module is replaced (free under warranty), XM title delay is fixed. My dealer said it needed to order the part, so I have to wait a week. They did the other two TSB items (onstar and driveability software update). I am curious--does the Acualink fix address the change in volume between XM channels that now exists? For example, my channel 22 is much louder than my channel 41. The dealer thought everything would be addressed, and XM says there should not be such a dramatic volume difference between channels. I'll report back after the install, but what was your experience getakey? Thanks for reporting on this issue. Steve
    Yes, I do realize that I would have to pay to continue it, my question is whether you feel it's worth it.

Not for me, it isn't. I rarely drive at times and locations where it would be helpful. My daily commute is almost totally on city streets. If I were to have commutes similar to many of my coworkers, and if NavTraffic were more accurate than some of the comments on here make it out to be, it would be worth it.
    The XM TSB does fix the Title delay problem. Artist/Title change immediately now. However, I still have the volume discrepancy and agree that channel 22 is louder than the others. I know XM says that it should not be that way, but wonder if anyone can validate this on a different XM receiver.

When I had the update done, the Navtraffic flow went away. Took it back to dealer this morning so they could verify. They checked with XM and say it is a problem with my account set-up and it should be back up later today.
    I'm in the SF Bay Area and Navtraffic would be of great benefit if it was accurate. Right now it is not. I have reported many problems to NacTraffic so hopefully they are working the bugs out. Biggest problem is that it is often completely wrong (not just a delay), i.e., stopped or slow traffic reported in a place that it was never a problem. Second issue is the delay. I have seen cases where it takes more than 30 minutes for the flow to show a problem that was reported on the radio or that I saw.
    I agree with you that Acura/XM should extend the service at no charge for more time after the 1st year until they get all the kinks ironed out. I'm canceling my XM and Navtraffic after it expires in November, unless it miraculously shows improved and correct traffic flow information. Once I cancel it, for sure I won't be evaluating it to see if it's working or not, so it's unlikely I'll restart the service again.

I doubt this latest TSB will fix the traffic flow info. Reading the TSB on acurazine.com, it implies it only fixes why the flow does not show if your car comes out from a covered building.

The source of the incorrect traffic flow information is likely with NAVTEQ. I had called up the XM Traffic 800 number to report flow problems, but learned they are only responsible for displaying incident/accident reports. Flow information is fed from NAVTEQ to XM Traffic. I don't have a NAVTEQ tel number to call to bug them - maybe the dealer will have it but I haven't had a chance to find out. Someone please post the NAVTEQ tel. no. if you have it.