Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• veritas7veritas7 Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone ever had this problem???

Over the weekend my remote stopped working. I purchased my 07 RL two weeks ago and came out to my car only to find that the remote didn't work at all. I entered with the key but then I couldn't start the car. It was almost as if my settings had been erased. Earlier that day, a friend showed me how to let the windows and the sun roof down with the remote. She put the key in manually to let them back up at the same time. I don't think this would have made a difference (it's in the manual I later found out) but it's the only thing I can think of we did in terms of "tampering" with the car.

Long story short: took it in to the dealership yesterday and it was working fine. But for a least three days it wasn't. Has this happened to anyone?
  • bobrlbobrl Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem with my 06. Took it back to dealer and had the remotes reprogrammed. At first they told me that the door handle had to be replaced, but when I asked them what that had to do with the car not starting, they couldn't give me an intelligent answer. Eventually they called back and said reprogramming fixed the problem.
  • veritas7veritas7 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks, I'll suggest that. I doesn't help that when I got there the problem didn't exist anymore but I'll have them reprogram anyway. Heaven forbid I'm out of town somewhere and that happens. Luckily my brother was able to bring me the other working remote.
  • ticker2ticker2 Member Posts: 2
    My 02 RL has 80k miles and has been a great car(my third Acura)but has one annoying noise problem. For the past two years, the combination of summer heat(+80 degrees) and about 40 minutes of driving results in a loud creaking or popping sound coming from the front. I can actually feel it traveling up the steering column. It seems to be weight bearing related as it makes noise when the weight of the car shifts forward when stopping and when I shift my weight exiting the front door( even when the engine is off). The dealer has checked it out several times without a solution. They acknowledge the noise but have no idea what is causing it.
    Has anyone had a similar problem or can recommend a solution?
  • islagypsyislagypsy Member Posts: 1
    I think I have a blown fuse for a 2002 RL. I have checked each fuse (under hood and under dash) and can't find a blown fuse. I called Acura and the local dealers and they have not been able or willing to help.

I thank anyone who can help.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The cigarette lighter might have an in-line fuse as well. A wiring diagram would show this.
  • tizertizer Member Posts: 23
    I have had my 06 RL for 8 months and have been very happy with the car except for an intermittent problem where there is a knocking noise heard and felt through the steering wheel.(sounds and feels like something is rubbing) It never happens when I drive the car in the morning after it has been sitting overnight. Usually happens in the afternoon and is felt more at slow speeds when turning or driving over speed bumps such as where I live. I took it to the dealer and they drove it and acknowledged the problem, but when I dropped the car off the following week this time they could not duplicate the problem..Not something they have seen before, or Acura is aware of either they say. The dealer checked suspension bushings and lower steering components and everything is ok there as well as removing the steering column cowling in the car. It does not feel like the bushings are worn-car only has 9,000 miles and I have had Mercedes where the bushings have worn and that felt more like a "front end" problem where this is more coming up the steering column. The dealer is trying to be helpful and said they would try again if I leave the car wih them. I am just waiting to see if it gets worse so there will be a better chance of duplicating the problem when the dealer has the car.
    The hardest thing is it is an intermittent problem. After the dealer could not find anything and i picked up the car and it drove 300 miles before the problem returned. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Did they check the front brakes? I seem to recall a post from someone who had their RL brakes adjusted or tightened, which eliminated some rattling that was emanating when the car hit a road irregularity. Not sure if this is your issue, but I suppose it's possible that such a rattle may be heard and felt through the steering column?

Someone else posted this but I don't recall who it was.

Good luck.
  • ppeter58ppeter58 Member Posts: 4
    My fobs for my 05 RL suddenly quit linking as Driver 1 or Driver 2. Followed the instructions for pressing the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously to try to re-link several times and also changed batteries on 1 fob. Took the car to dealer and they said they fiddled around with the fobs and the problem went away and they didn't know what else to do. Linking worked fine for two days, then car recognized fob 1 as Driver 2 and then stopped recognizing any driver the next time I entered the car. Anyone have a similar problem that got fixed?
  • lorenzo2lorenzo2 Member Posts: 16
    I have a service due soon light with remaining 10% service oil. My question is do I have to wait for service due now light for the reset procedure to work. I tried going through the procedure page 350 2006 RL and I can't get it to reset. I change my own oil every 6 months.
  • ppeter58ppeter58 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 RL and have reset the oil life indicator without waiting for 0% to show. My Acura dealer and another service place, in addition to myself, have done so also. The procedure described in my owner's manual worked fine.
  • crazyfurbycrazyfurby Member Posts: 9
    I had the same problem on my 06 RL. You can ask XM to refresh your service and the problem should go away. Just make sure you follow their instructions about keeping the XM radio on a particular channel for a requested period of time otherwise the refresh will not work. It worked for me on the third attempt. Hope this helps.
  • lorenzo2lorenzo2 Member Posts: 16
    2006 rl just had the same problem car speeding up.
    Left car running got out opened garage door put the car in drive and likely my brake was on and my foot was on the brake pedal car started speeding up. Any one elese had this problem/solution. Hope this was a one time problem.
  • atlanticrlatlanticrl Member Posts: 2
    The AFS warning light on my '05 RL goes on intermittently, but I notice that not only do my headlights continue to work (the manual says they should) but that they continue to swing as I round corners. Anybody have a similar problem?
  • scottjohnsonscottjohnson Member Posts: 61
    I was getting random AFS warnings in my '05, never many, maybe one every couple of months. Dealer replaced steering position sensor and I've never had another one. That's the ONLY warranty repair I've had done on my RL.
  • jim_agnew_2jim_agnew_2 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, DO you have the Tec Package? If so was the cruise in ACC mode, I.E. was the radar system on? I filed a complaint with the NTSB and have not heard a word from Acura or the NTSB. I've been told that I will hear nothing from the NTSB, that there is no tracking mechanism to find out where in the process it is, may take up to one year and I will find out if and when they issue a recall. Acura told me that they didn't know if or when they would fix the problem. I could post the exact detail that I sent to the NTSB.

As far as I'm concerned the NTSB is worthless.

Jim
  • atlanticrlatlanticrl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Scott. I'll try that on my dealer.
  • hercules05hercules05 Member Posts: 2
    This is an awsome forum, I am in the market for a newer car & I really like the RL. This forum definetly has more Info than any Acura dealer actually knows.

I am looking for a used RL under 15k miles. I wonder if any of you have any advice, if I should get an '05 or '06.

Any feedback, would be greatly appriciated.
  • wkercherwkercher Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 RL -- and just purchased from Dice Electronics an I-Pod connector along with the digital FM component to attach to the existing radio.
    I will need to take apart the dash to get to the radio.
    Do any of you know where I could get instructions to do the disassembly?
    It would sure help to have this as oppose to doing it by trail and error.
    Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    Warren
  • klisterklister Member Posts: 8
    I would definitely go with the 06. The 05 was the first year and there were a number of electrical, sensor, and brake pad issues that were fixed with the 06. There were TSB's for most 05 issues so you can find one that will be fine, however, I never could get all the bugs fixed on mine and worked out a deal with an Acura dealer to trade for an 06.
  • niclio5niclio5 Member Posts: 2
    My '01 started to get noisy and creaky when slowing and turning sharply into and out of my sloped driveway or when traveling at slow speeds over speed bumps. I suspect the car also made noise at higher speeds under certain conditions, though road noise probably drowned out the creaking/groaning. I brought the car to my independent mechanic (a trusted source who is always my first pass diagnostician) who looked at it and diagnosed a bad wheel bearing. At the time the car was still covered under the Acura Certified Used warranty, so off I went to the Acura dealer who replaced the wheel bearings on both sides up front free of charge to me.
  • carcrazy37carcrazy37 Member Posts: 12
    Not sure if anyone with an '05 RL could have put over 40K miles yet. Really wondering how the AWD mechanism will hold up after warranty. Also probably too early to tell how the electronic gizmos will hold up over the years (for those who want to buy and keep a car at least 5-7 yrs). Anyone with major mechanical problems (not including lemons)?
  • kanghagaskanghagas Member Posts: 1
    None...from 2005 RL with 44,000 mi since late Sept 2005. Just got back last two weeks from Washington DC round trip to Blue Ridge, GA via a weeklong Charlotte NC, Charleston SC, Savannah GA, Atlanta GA and back. And this past two days, round trip to Kykuit Rockefeller Estate in Tarrytown NY via Brooklyn. Average hi-way mileage 26 with four people plus baggages and 27 with three without baggage respectively.
  • bc2005rlbc2005rl Member Posts: 10
    I have 43,000 miles on my 2005 RL and I was wondering whether to get an extended warranty because of all the gizmos and gadgets. I haven't had any issues as of yet. Have you heard any compelling information for or against an extended warranty?
  • r79207r79207 Member Posts: 9
    has anyone installed an after market remote starter on their acural rl? I was considering it and wanted to know if it works well?
    acura dealer referred me to a place that will do it for $299. I assume i need to give up one of the keys.
    also does acura offer a valet key? i only received 2 keys when i bought the car and they were both with a remote.
    tony
  • sagrennsagrenn Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 97 RL w/ 180K miles on it. I am the original owner and have never had any real problems. Since my cost of ownership is minimal, I will probably drive it into the ground. The car looks like it only has 60K on it.

Has anybody had problems with the power window motors/lifts breaking? I've replaced 3 window motors in the last 3 years.

Thanks.
  • mungoacmungoac Member Posts: 16
  • slynch1980slynch1980 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I was driving home on the Highway in my RL and I had what I think was a power surge? No idea why, that had never happened before. But the car seemed to go faster then slow back down to normal. When that happened the lights in the instrument pannel went out, as well as my power windows. Everything else works, idiot lights, interior lights, the radio, the power mirrors. For what ever reason the Instrument pannel is completely dead, and the windows won't open (the sun roof works though)

I already checked the entire fuse block twice over, and pulled all the relay's and tested them. Any other thoughts?
  • b18cmyrrb18cmyrr Member Posts: 2
    I have 2000 Acura RL with a 12' sub and Alpine tv and everything has worked fine for 2 yrs. I was driving home 2 days ago and my tv completely goes out, wont even turn on. Then my check engine light/ warning light and traction control light came on. Now my alarm doesnt work, locks work when car is on and doors are closed, the clock and mileage reset every start up. My headlights being left on makes a beep, that doesnt work, my steering wheel goes up and down auto. when u start and turn off the car, that doesnt work. I checked the battery-it's fine, checked fuses-those are fine. I have no clue what the hell it could be. The car has never ever had any problems.
  • 4bearhug4bearhug Member Posts: 52
    Yeah, that's a common problem on the RL. As far as I know, it's the only widely reported common parts failure. I don't recall the specifics, but apparently a design issue with plastics components instead of metal on the lifting mechanism. Do a search and you can find some history. I guess that you can do it yourself if you're skilled, but I never tried it.

I've got a 96 RL w/ 175k mi. and I've replaced 3 lifts so far. All have gone out once except front passenger window. I even bought the replacement kit off of Ebay several years ago for it in anticipation of needing to replace it. So far it's still working.
  • b18cmyrrb18cmyrr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Acura RL n I had that problem so I went and bought a $2000 Alpine TV n stereo set up and LOVE it accept some electrical issues with my cars ecu I think
  • skbelskyskbelsky Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Acura RL. I have always had an accumulation of soot around both exhaust pipes. Recently, the paint on the bumper started to peep around one of the pipes. My dealership insists this was the result of flex (compromising the bumper). I insist that it was from the soot, excess heat, or some ancillary problem related to the exhaust pipes (it is just too coincidental that the paint chose to peel in this exact spot). Has anyone else had peeling caused from this exhaust problem with an 05 Acura?
    I have a 2005 Acura RL. I have always had an accumulation of soot around both exhaust pipes. Recently, the paint on the bumper started to peel around one of the pipes. My dealership insists this was the result of flex (compromising the bumper). I insist that it was from the soot, excess heat, or some ancillary problem related to the exhaust pipes (it is just too coincidental that the paint chose to peel in this exact spot). Has anyone else had peeling caused from this exhaust problem with an 05 Acura?
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    I do not have any paint peeling, but the tailpipe extensions were redesigned in 2006 and our dealer replaced them with the new ones on our 2005 RL at no charge approximately 2 years ago. The new extensions go out a little bit further, and do not cause the same soot buildup that we originally experienced on our white RL. If I were you, I would go back to your dealer and ask them about the new extensions and at least see if they will swap them out for you, as they did for us. Once they admit that the extensions were replaced in subsequent model years, they may consider addressing your paint issue? Good luck.
  • wmengelwmengel Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2008 Acura RL. I really like this car...but, I have noticed a random pulsating vibration coming from the gas pedal. It usually occurs between 1,000 and 2,000 rpm. The vibration doesn't last long (maybe five or six "cycles" [vibration for a second, then no vibration for a second, then another vibration, etc.]) I have searched the Internet for the answer and have noticed references to drivelines but it seems that these all reference TL's or MDX's...not RL's. This vibration is irritating to say the least.

I went back to the dealership and they took it for a test drive but did not notice any problem...probably because the problem is random (maybe happens every two days or so).

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks.
  • ed111ed111 Member Posts: 22
    I have read in the Acurazine forums that some owners have noticed the engine "pinging" at low RPM's.
  • ackndaaackndaa Member Posts: 2
    This problem is intermittent. Starting from a cold start, the car drives ok. Changing into gears are a bit rough. After a short drive, and the trans dip stick is checked, the fluid is dark brown, smells burnt, and has small bubbles. The problem, after a while is that when the car is placed in any of the four gears of forward drive or reverse, the car doesn't move. This is the first time I've experienced trans issues, and the car has 200k miles. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • ackndaaackndaa Member Posts: 2
    While checking the oil after filling up, I noticed the P/S fluid bubbling/boiling inside of the res. What does this mean??? Is there something wrong with my pump, rack and pinion, and/or lines??? There's no indication when driving. There's no leaks either. All belts are new, connected correctly and taught. This too is the first time I've experienced p/s issues. My car has 200k miles. Any info would be greatly appreciated. As with my previous entry, thanks in advance.
  • bfrancobfranco Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had problems with the HFL while making calls? 2007RL purchased new. Almost immediately began experiencing problems with the Hands Free Link in making calls (doesn't get the numbers right - repeats back numbers that weren't spoken), drops calls, voice quiality both speaking and receiving is poor. Dealer replaced HFL unit twice, even supplied a new (supposedly compatible phone) but the problem still exists. Hands free phone operation is soon to be mandatory in our state and this will be more of an issue for us than before. Any ideas or similar experiences out there? :(
  • ascott1ascott1 Member Posts: 2
    Had my new '08 RL for about 4 months and car would not start today. Called the my salesman at the dealership and he suggested that I get a Sears battery. He insisted that the battery is a maintenance item and not covered under the warranty. After AAA started my car, all of the warning lights for the brakes, ABS, SH-AWD were flashing. So, I drove straight to the dealership service dept. I turned off the car in the service bay before they took it and started it back up and all of the warning lights were off then. The dealership said that there must have been a bad cell in the battery and that they would replace the battery. Funny though, when they returned my keys with no paperwork and the stereo was still working. I had to punch in the security code after AAA started it. I asked the serviceman why my stereo was still working if they had replaced the battery and he said that the service people have a way of replacing the battery without causing the security code having to be set up again. I also would think that the dealership would not be able to install a new battery without a record in their system.
    Has anyone had trouble with a very short battery life? Unfortunately, I didn't read the reviews on Edmunds about dealerships before I purchased the car, or I would have shopped elsewhere.
    Yes they can install a new battery without a complete electrical disconnect. They put a little maintenance battery in the circuit.
  • autojamesautojames Member Posts: 1
    How to replace the water pump for a 1995 legend?
    This is too complicated to list in steps here. You have to remove the timing belt as well, and disarm the air bag system (so the book says).

Anyway, I'd suggest you get a workshop manual for this job, either on eBay, Amazon, or at your local library, because you'll need a step by step, tool recommendations and also diagrams for the timing marks, pulleys, etc.
  • ff100ff100 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2006RL and use the HFL everyday. Occasionally the system does not understand the numbers or the stored caller, but most of the time, 95% I would say, I had absolutely no problem. If you have trouble, try to close the sun roof, windows, etc., and speak louder and slower toward the upper middle section of the windshield (where the microphone is located). I've paired two phones that work flawlessly with the system. Overall, compared to Toyota, the Honda HFL system is far superior. The Toyota system (Avalon model) can not understand me at all. Good luck !
  • wm97rlwm97rl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Acura RL. The cigarette lighter 12v accessory outlet doesn’t work. I can't find the fuse for it.
  • wm97rlwm97rl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 RL also and have had to replace 3 rear window regulators. It seems if you don't use them a lot they stick and break a plastic part, which means you have to replace the whole regulator. It was not that bad to replace it myself. Delray Acura online was the cheapest for parts.
  • desert_ratdesert_rat Member Posts: 23
    I am about to purchase a new 2009RL. How easy is it to install the Splash guards. The dealer wants too much.
    I think they went into the winter position. I adjust this by manually pushing wipers back down into the regular position - might want to check the manual, but I think gentlelly prodding them back down will work AOK.
  • blloydblloyd Member Posts: 4
    I have had good gas mileage, but just this week, with 58,000 miles, my AC condenser failed. Cost $2,400.00. OUCH! Have complained to Acura; results pending. Anyone with AC issues?
  • blloydblloyd Member Posts: 4
    Anyone with AC issues