Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• dave82dave82 Member Posts: 43
    Mitsubishi just laid off another 5% of their workforce at headquarters this week, and closed their Chicago office. Sales have dropped about 70% over the past three years.
  • dsellersdsellers Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in the 2007 Spyder, but saw that it requires Premium unleaded fuel. Does anyone who bought the car know whether or not you truly need to use premium gas, or is regular fine to use? Will it have much impact on the driving of the car? Thanks!
  • drew119drew119 Member Posts: 2
    i have the gt and i put premium in it but i've heard that it probably necessary to fill up with premium every tank. i've heard that every 3rd or 4th tank would probably be fine. the thing is though its almost stupid not to fill up with premium every tank. if you think about it and do the math it will only cost you about $150 more per YEAR! to fill up with premium every time as compared to filling it with regular every time. so whether or not its completely necessary i'd say its a moot point. why take the chance for about 12 bucks a month?
  • llonasllonas Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I purchased a 2007 Eclipse Spyder Gt last Saturday. We love it and my wife enjoys driving it more than the 2003 Saab Conv. we just turned in. We were also concerned about Mishubishi future but when they are offering a good warranty program and knowing they have alot a ground to make up, we felt comfortable in purchasing it. Only problem for us , I did my homework but Car was at sticker price and no break due to shortage and dealers are only getting 2-3 cars every 6-8 weeks. I feel this is going to be a real solid car and a pleasure to own and drive. Good Luck!
  • jym626jym626 Member Posts: 21
    I won't repeat everything I wrote in the "buying experience and prices paid" thread (please read the full post there), but we will be picking up a 2007 Ultra Red Pearl GS automatic this afternoon, and are paying $400 UNDER INVOICE!! Can't get around the destination charge, so our drive-out price will be $25,076 plus 6% tax. We are thrilled!! It is a base model (no leather or other packages) but that's fine. The leather would have been nice, but we can't beat the price! We were able to deal directly with the General Sales Manager on the phone (he gave us his personal cellphone #) and finalized the deal over the phone this morning!!
  • jym626jym626 Member Posts: 21
    update:
    We ended up paaying that pesky "document prep" fee, but the deal was still good. And the charcoal cloth interior is actually quite attractive. We enjoyed watching heads turn as we drove today! What fun.
  • bullseye3bullseye3 Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone make a grill similar to the one that is in the upper portion of the hood opening on the 2006 & 2007 Eclipse. The upper one is like an egg crate. There is no grill on the bottom and you can see all kinds of nasty things. On my old Miata I was able to find a grill for the bottom opening.
  • mikey06eclipsemikey06eclipse Member Posts: 2
    dont worry thats where the intercooler will go and you wont have that hollow looking space below!! ;)
  • philsarsphilsars Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing a 2007 Eclipse GT in the US, due to the very favourable exchange rate (roughly $8,000 CDN savings after accounting for the GST requirement at the border, plus customs levies); but apparently the US model doesn't meet Canadian bumper requirements (the intercooler can be damaged in an 8 km/h impact); does anyone know the approximate cost I'd be facing to bring the vehicle in line w/ Canadian bumper requirements?
  • rms1rms1 Member Posts: 3
    I just recently purchased a 2007 Eclipse Coupe and have been noticing substancial tire ringing, or droning, at highway speeds, expecially on concrete surfaces. I drove a similar model at the dealer and noticed it. I feel it is the 17" tire and may be a normal occurance. Does anyone know how to reduce this noise. Is changing to another tire brand a solution?
  • jwhitneyjwhitney Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 06 Mit. Eclipse GT and was wondering how much people usually pay for regular maintance, i found the website with some numbers but I wanted to know what people are really paying. also, do most people get their car done at a Mitsu dealer? any suggestion on Maintance is appreciated.
  • smodersmoder Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the reply. I made the mistake of taking my daughter and wife to the dealership. While she liked the scion see prefers the mitsu. I told her the difference was sunroof(didn't care), ipod(I can burn cd's she says). And of course the extra dollars didn't seem to matter. I told her and my wife the price had to start with a 1. Needless to say, my wife has been on the phone. Thanks
  • 06eclipse8606eclipse86 Member Posts: 1
    I have a GT and have almost gone blind searching the net for performance parts such as bolt tubo-kits. All I have mannaged to find were a few intercoolers and exaughst kits. :mad: Wondering if anyone else has been haven' the same problem.
  • jbickertonjbickerton Member Posts: 1
    We have a Mitsubishi 2006 gt. Love the car, but lately a horrible odor has been noticed around the right side of the engine and the driver side front wheel well. The dealer replaced the brake pads and fixed the rotors two days ago, alas the odor is back. Anyone else having these problems? Going back to the dealer tomorrow.
  • josherzjosherz Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Eclipse GS. Is there anyway I can change the digital display near the odometer to read MPH instead of KM? I have no use for knowing kilometers per hour!! Thanks in advance.
  • ozzexozzex Member Posts: 10
    is that smell all the time or when you turn on the air. i have 15,000 miles on my gt now and i was thinking its the a/c air filter
  • cdn_eclipsecdn_eclipse Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to import an Eclipse GT now also. I am having trouble finding information on the changes required for the bumpers. Were you able to import your eclipse? If so could you let me know about the process? Im most concerned with learning how much it cost? What had to be replaced or modified? How did you prove the work was done?

Thanks so much.

Sean
  • 2007eclipse2007eclipse Member Posts: 6
    I can't believe how many people complain on here about the styling and features on the new Eclipse. I just bought the 2007 GS Eclipse in Sunset Pearl, and I love the car! They have really loaded up the base model. I also owned a 1999 Eclipse for over 7 years, so obviously I love the eclipses! You cant beat the price, styling, warranty, and aftermarket potential of these cars!

I do think they could improve the back end slightly but think about it, the eclipse is one of the top cars for aftermarket potential. So if you dont like it then change it. I'm thinking of adding chrome rims and possibly a body kit or new fenders to make it stand out.

I haven't found out mpg yet b/c i've only put about 800 miles on it and the first two tanks were free from the dealership, but i'm estimating around 20mpg or about 340 a tank b/c I used up two tanks at about 700 miles. So I think it could be better, but i'm quick off the line and you know when they tested the car they probably let a granny dive ;) They obviously want it to sound as good as possible.

And for all of you who are complaining on here about how ugly the car looks then what are you doing talking on this forum???? Get to a forum with the car you like and talk about that one. I mean if you own a 06+ Eclipse and you really don't like it then let us know about it but if you haven't bought one then keep the comments to yourself.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, 2007eclipse,

We welcome everyone and their opinions here, whether they're owners or not -- it keeps things interesting.

Enjoy your new ride :)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Why did Mitsu neglect the '07 GS version of the Eclipse by not offering traction control as an option? I'm sure that not everyone wants to go with the GT in order to get tc.

Any 4-1-1?

Peace! :shades:
  • weegemanweegeman Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I recently got a 2007 eclipse. I decided to look around for a kayak rack and/or a bike rack for it but am not really having any kind of luck. Thule doesn't have any and neither does Yakima. Anyone have any ideas or options for either?

Thanks!
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,650
    Has anyone driven both the Altima coupe and the Eclipse. They look pretty close on the spec sheet but I'd like to hear from the real world.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I wonder why Mitsu doesn't offer a traction control for its base GS model...A traction/ESC would even be better! I refer to the 2008 versions. Could it be that the GS is not a good seller for Mitsu? Not even the new upper level 4 cyl SE model features it.

Hmmmmmmmmm... :confuse:

I'm curious to know.

Peace!<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
    "...I wonder why Mitsu doesn't offer traction control for its base GS model..."

Doesn't traction control limit wheel spin on take-off? Maybe the GS doesn't have the power to spin the wheels. On the other hand in winter it could come in handy.

The stability control is IIRC only available on the SE version. The 2008 SE is different than the 2007 SE (which is just confusing). The 2007 SE was the 4-cyl. with some of the GT options (like 18 inch wheels). The 2008 SE has the stability control, an ugly big wing and a bunch of cosmetic stuff.

Why they wouldn't offer SC on all models is beyond me. After all, someday someone is going to fit that 4-cyl with a turbo and then it will come in handy.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Understood, oldfarmer, and I TOTALLY agree with your comments on the '08 SE... ;)

Mitsu should turn on to the fact that maybe their sales would increase, with the Eclipse, if it offered more features on its GS line like stability/traction controls, instead of cosmetic big wings and assorted boy racer nonsense. Not everyone wants the GT version. Oh well...I speak for myself on that one.

Peace!<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Anyone here see the new Mitsubishi Concept RA over at Autoblog.com ?

Supposed to be unveiled at the Detroit auto show.

AWD, 4 cylinder turbodiesel and more...looks awesome.
  • strkngfangstrkngfang Member Posts: 1
    I love my 07 spyder GT V6. It looks and runs fast. The reports say 0-60 in 6.7 sec, try around 5.5!!, and that is my automatic without really trying. That was just from a launch onto the highway, I'm no racer by any means. This car has gotten so many looks and people can't believe it is actually an eclipse and under 30,000?
    There is so much more room than the previous generation with the exception of the backseat and there is an adequate trunk as well. The turning radius is wide due to its larger frame and the blind spot is pretty bad but I have found little tricks around it. I've been getting around 19mpg (mostly city driving) which isn't too bad. This car is a ton of fun and I recommend it to anyone looking for an all season sports car. I live in Ohio so any rear drive Miata, Solstice, Sky or S2000 will spell disaster in snow. I do like all of those cars though.
    "...anyone here seen the new Mitsubishi Concept RA?..."

Is that the one they were talking about on the "Mitsubishi News" forum? If it is it looks interesting. I'd like to know what kind of power plant it would have for the US market.

• elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Sorry if this is old news now but the concept itself is said to possess a 2.2 litre 4 cylinder turbodiesel ( I detect a whiff of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries ) with MIVEC valve timing technology. Reported to produce 200+ horsepower. A turbo in the U.S. would be awesome as you wouldn't need to worry about octane ratings plus Mitsubishi has previously said it plans on diesels in the Lancers and Outlanders around 2010 anyway.

I would guess that a "base" model of this concept might have the upgraded 2.4 litre power plant going in the soon-to-arrive 4 cylinder Outlander and the new Lancer GTS. Around 160 horsepower I think. Also, I'm sure most Mitsubishi fans would demand the option of having the same engine as the upcoming Evo X. Those three options would make a lot of sense to me.

I'm assuming this car, if it went into production, would be geared toward the North American market since they chose the Detroit show to unveil it.
  • clovismanclovisman Member Posts: 5
    Love my Eclipse! I drive it like a sports car. Handles good at 140 MPH.
    City 22-24....City/Hwy 27-28.... Highway 32-34.5....Premium only please!
    Get one of those oily pink cotton air filters ($55.00), adds about 4.5 horse.
    Engine oil additive, 1 pint bottle, clear/purple in color $20.00, FAA approved.
    BLIND SPOTS! Buy some of those rectangle wedge mirrors, 1.5 x 1 inch. they fit perfect in the bottom inner corner of your side-view mirrors. If you can see a car in that little mirror, you had better turn your head before you take the lane, and you can see that car in the mirror even when his front bumper is even with you door. If you can't make out if it's a car, go!! $7.00 at any auto store.
    Come on folks, $7.00 buck vs. a wreck + $5000.00
    Don't know about you, but on those long trips that brake handle digs into my leg. You'll have to do a little self-work on this one but it works great. One-1/2" pipe foam insulator (black, 3' long, buy any hardware store). One-safety belt shoulder cushion (they come in many styles and colors, 10" long or so, any auto store). Cut your foam insulator, about 6-7", install around brake handle. Wrap the Shoulder Harness cushion around the foam insulator (the cushion has velcro), you might have to cut the cushion to size. Looks good, works great. Make sure you don't cover your brake release button, PLEASE!
    Sorry to hear you have poor dealership. Try this line next time, "Who should my lawyer contact and which one of you are planing to pay for his expenses and services?" All in all, if the carpet came back a little damp I would not worry. They put a lot experience in today's cars. They know the carpet and backing has to put up with a lot of abuse, I.E. rainy days, snow, mud, ect. The carpet and backing are tested to make sure they won't mold over-night and even the interior floor has the same paint as the exterior. However, if the carpet is deformed from being wet, and they will not fix the damage; please refer to the above sentence that starts with "Who".
    I've heard a lot of reports on blind spots on the Eclipse. Go to any auto parts store and buy a pair of rectangle convex mirrors, 1.5 x 1 inch, $7.00 (do not buy the round ones). They will fit perfectly on the bottom inner corners of your side-view mirrors and you will still have use of your side view mirrors. These are a must! I can still see the car in these little mirrors even when their front bumper is even with my car door. Rule of thumb, if you can make out a car in these little mirrors, you better turn your head before taking the lane. If you can't see a car or make it out in the mirror, then go. Makes driving in busy traffic a breeze.
  • albuqnowalbuqnow Member Posts: 2
    I've had the 07 for about a year now. Also seen several issues about the 'blind spots'. However, if the side mirrors are correctly positioned then I find no issues with the visibility. The mirrors should be set so that when you're in a comfortable driving position, you only see a small part of your own car and a significant part of the lanes on either side. With the rear view set correctly and the side views as suggested, I find complete visibility all around
  • toragttoragt Member Posts: 1
    Hey clovisman ... what brand of air filter would you recommend? Looking to upgrade the horse to help with the weight ... :shades:
  • ati24kobeati24kobe Member Posts: 1
    That's what thier missing, the AWD Eclipse. Cause 263hp to the front wheels is just not right, when u have AWD systems that can do it so much better, and I think theres enough people that would pay an extra couple grand to get that pre-installed(GSX).
  • 19kat8519kat85 Member Posts: 1
    hey guys
    i need the data for the new eclipse gt v6 se we moved to germany and i need the data to get some offers for getting it converted to the european standarts, normally my husband would do all that but he's deployed at the moment and i can't find any data.
    Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
    Could you be more specific about what data you need?

• shadowdwshadowdw Member Posts: 2
    I wanted know if anyone knew it was possible if the 06 eclipse can have a custom stereo put in it. I can't see the dash being changed. And if not can the stock cd player handle an amp and more subs?
  • shadowdwshadowdw Member Posts: 2
    does the cd player have a hookup for an amp and can it handle the power. Can the stock cd player be changed to a custom one.
  • classico12classico12 Member Posts: 1
    how good is mivec compared to v-tec and how much horespower does a 2006 4 cylinder eclipse gs stock manual transmision and if so can anyone give me some helpful tips for performance
  • jaredloves90jaredloves90 Member Posts: 11
    I have just purchased 2008 mitsu eclipse 4 cylinder, it has 164 hp and a 2.4 liter engine, i love itttt
  • mamiyamamiya Member Posts: 21
    500 miles so far, good: looks,handling,sound sys(fosgate),color pearl red is beautiful,bridgestone tires great, mpg not sure yet, seat real comfy, engine response good for 4 cyl, Bad: engine noisy, blind spot, long time to warm up, little delay between shifts
  • emc17emc17 Member Posts: 26
    I own a 07 GT. After a tire rotation I started to hear a noise coming form the brakes. Could they have done something to cause this? :confuse: Thanks.
  • mamiyamamiya Member Posts: 21
    did the dealer do it? if so you should talk to them! I have'nt rotated mine yet
  • emc17emc17 Member Posts: 26
    It was not done by the dealer. I took it to Firestone for an oil change and decided to rotate the tires also. After that I noticed the noise. Maybe I should take it back.
  • sliceopizzasliceopizza Member Posts: 26
    Hi, I'm looking at a used 2007 GS and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the insurance rates for this car. I realize everyone will pay a different amount based on driving history, geographic location etc. I'm just looking for info on whether eclipse owners feel their insurance is high, low or about the same as a civic, tc or other similiar coupe. I could call my insurance lady but I don't want to bother her with ANOTHER insurance quote request. Thanks in advance!
    "...Can the stock cd player be changed to a custom one..."

I can't help you there, I not a tech guy. Just a guess though, since they put the 450 watt system in the same place as the standard 140 unit I would think you should be able to upgrade. I would check with your local custom audio shop to see if they could do the job.

You might also check with the dealer. I seem to remember a post on this board where the poster had the dealer replace the standard unit with the 450 watt one. The only thing was that they didn't get the big woofer in the trunk.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. I have a base 2008 Eclipse and I've wondered if it would be worth putting in a better system.

"...how good is mivec compared to v-tec..."

As I understand it both those systems are similar. They time the valves to offer good fuel economy at regular rpms and better performance when you want to rock & roll.

The 4 cyl Eclipse has 162hp in both manual and auto. I've driven the GS model and for most applications it has more than enough power. When the mivec kicks in at 4000rpm it seems like the power just keeps coming. It's no hot rod but I was very impressed.

I supose if you are a real gear-head you would want to install a tubro.

"...After a tire rotation I started to hear a noise..."

Do you also feel a pulsation through the brake pedal? I understand that if the mechanic torques the lug nuts back on too tight it can warp the brake rotors and cause problems. Ask the shop if they used a torque wench or just an air gun when they put the tires back on.