Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Care and Maintenance

2»

Comments

• tveilleuxtveilleux Member Posts: 15
    I have had the throttle cable problem in my 2002. It was not related to braking. You are clearly experiencing a problem with the braking system, most probably associated with the ABS since your hear some pump-type of noise from the rear end. The ABS should not be kicking in under normal driving conditions. However, the ABS might be reacting to some external signal that tells it to kick in, so it may be working fine itself. There may be a problem with the master cylinder or power booster that is giving you the hard pedal sensation and fooling the ABS as well.
  • genome1genome1 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for your astute diagnosis. Now, what's the best strategy to get the problem identified? Mazda Canada has taken the position that they have never heard of it before and won't get involved in the absence of the dealer finding a problem. Because the dealer has been unable to duplicate the occurrence during roadtests over the past week and has found nothing amiss with the ABS, Mazda will not pay for a rental vehicle under my extended warranty. I've just faxed your comments to the dealer. Because this is a significant safety issue, I reported it to Transport Canada today, but I have no idea how aggressive they will be in investigating. The bottom line: I've been without wheels for a week already and I believe it is unwise to accept the vehicle until the problem is resolved. How does one put the screws to Mazda?
    Perhaps take the vehicle to a Toyota dealership for diagnosis?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    How about a Ford dealer. The Tribute is a Ford Escape with a Mazda badge.
  • tribute3tribute3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Tribute and had almost the same issue this evening - many similarities. In my case, the engine would not start. Once started the engine sounded like it was idling extremely high, however the tachometer was at 1.5. All of a sudden there was a loud sound like an explosion out the rear of the car. To be honest, the engine sounded like a race car. I put the car in reverse to back out of the garage - no change in the engine sound. Brakes were not soft, but felt like I had no braking power. Once I backed out of the garage, I shifted to 'Drive' and although my foot was on the brake, the car proceeded to move forward.

I was hoping to drive it to the dealership, but decided it was unsafe. Am having it towed in the morning. Will be happy to let you know what they find out.
  • tribute3tribute3 Member Posts: 2
    I originally reported that my engine was revving although the tachometer did not show it. By the next day, the tachometer was about 3000rpm while in park.

My problem has been corrected. Here's what the dealer found:
    The throttle was stuck in the open position due to carbon build-up. Throttle was replaced and carbon cleaned out (induction service). The dealer said that would cause the car to continue moving forward although my foot was on the brake.
    I would suggest you take your car to a different dearlership.
    Good Luck!
  • alannaalanna Member Posts: 2
    That should fix the problem for a while. But stand warned. You must have the throttle body cleaned avery 30,000 miles or so. I have a 2002 Tribute and I've had the revving while idling happen several times and had to have the throttle body cleaned numerous times. Once it to 8,000 RPM with the brakes on. If I had let go the brake, who knows. Scary stuff. Good luck.
  • zoom_utezoom_ute Member Posts: 13
    there should be a fuse for the ABS system that can be pulled or a connector on the controller itself that can be disconnected. This will prevent the ABS controller/pump from doing anything ie you'll just have "standard" brakes. This will set a light on the dash for a fault. You could try this and see if the brakes behave normally...then you know they are mechanically ok and therefore it is something with the controller or it's related systems...ie not a stuck throttle or a bad master cylinder, brake booster, etc.

just an idea!
  • stacyboydstacyboyd Member Posts: 3
    Are any of the parts interchangable??
    I need two door handles inside both R and L
    Rear wiper motor
    Front hood molding
    alloy wheel 16"
    Anything at all?? :confuse:
  • luvmyescape1luvmyescape1 Member Posts: 4
    read motor-oil bible.use 5w30,synthetic.ford recommends 5w20 just to eke out a tenth or two mp for cafe ratings,because before 2001,same engine and they had 5w30 on oil cap.year later SAME EXACT ENGINE!! oh,only thing you get with tow pkg is the actual hitch.the transm cooler same w or w/o tow.go to u haul and add one 49$ and 66$labor ford tech says thatll keep tranny fluid cool
  • CindySFBayCindySFBay Member Posts: 5
    I am having very similar problems with my 2003 Mazda Tribute and my Mazda dealer said that they won't be responsible. I have noticed a number of Mazda's in my area with peeled paint. My car has 74000 miles and is almost 6 years old but I don't think that the paint should be peeling off and rusting. Has anyone else had this problem? Who did you contact to resolve this? It would be nice if they paid at least 50% of the repair price.
  • stacyboydstacyboyd Member Posts: 3
    Replaced front drivers side Wheel bearing but when turning to the left it still wobbles, all but three inside door handles are broke (which happened in less then a year) Water light stays on, engine light stays on, ABS light stays on, back hatch latch only works some times. And even though brakes have been replaced still not working properly. Master cylinder cap leaks!!! Has a loud bang noise when I hit a bump. :mad: :sick: :confuse:
  • barfeningjodibarfeningjodi Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering if you were able to find a good solution to your paint issue. I have a 2003 Tribute and less than 75000 miles on it and the paint problem just started with mine-- it came off in a huge sheet in one area while I was driving- I thought it was a piece of paper! It was the first sign and now there are more spots. I took it to a body shop who said that it was a faulty manufacturer's paint job-- I guess they didn't use a sealant coat between the color and the E coat. Would love to know if anyone was successful getting Mazda to deal with the cost or repair of it.
  • ms1215ms1215 Member Posts: 1
    I ALSO HAVE A MAZDA 2003 TRIBUTE. THE PAINT IS COMMING OFF ABOVE THE WINDSHIELD AND ABOVE THE BACK WINDOW. I CALLED THE MAZDA REPAIR LINE @ (800)222-5500. I TOLD HIM OF THIS PROB. HE SAID THAT THEY HAVE NOT REC'ED ANY PROB'S ABOUT THE PAINT.HE CAN'T DO ANYTHING TILL I BRING IT TO THE DEALER (BILL HOOD MAZDA IN HAMMON LOUISIANA) AND EVEN IF I DO THAT THEY PROB WILL NOT FIX IT BECAUSE IT IS OUT WARENTY. NOW WHAT?
    I called my local Mazda dealer where I bought the car (Putnam Mazda in Burlingame California) and they told me to send a detailed letter which I did and I NEVER heard back from them. I decided that I had to fix the paint as it was beginning to rust so I took it to a body shop that I know and they fixed it for me. They couldn't even get the roof rack off, apparently it is soddered on or something like that and they painted most of the top roof. I must say that I see that another spot on the very top is peeling now. I have NEVER taken my car to the dealer again and although I really like my Tribute I would think seriously before buying another one because of this issue. Please let me know if you get anywhere with this as I still have a problem and spent over $300.00 fixing the old one. I would be happy to further discuss this with you. I can send you my email if you would like.
    Hi there, I just replied to another owner with similar problem so check that post. I sent a lengthy letter to my Mazda dealer and never got a reply. I fixed the problem and paid for it myself but I see another spot of peeling paint developing on the top where it wasn't repainted. I would be happy to join together and contact Mazda again. Send me email at cindycal_00@yahoo.com to further discuss. I completely agree with you that is what I was told that the roofs are not painted correctly. The body shop I went to was going to paint the whole roof but they couldn't even get the roof rack off, apparently it is soldered on....
    Definitely! I just heard from our dealer after 2 body shops said that to fix the problem meant stripping the entire car & painting the whole thing again from the start (over $5k)-- when I first took it to the dealer after calling Mazda, they said-- oh that looks awful, we will call you and let you know, but I'm sure we'll be fixing it-- they had to get the Mazda rep for my area to review the photos-- but then they called and said no, that I was out of warranty and it was my problem thtat they hadn't seen any other issues-- which to me says-- that Mazda knows there's an issue & just doesn't want to pay for it. I'm going to be working on my dealership to help me first, but I'm wondering if those of us with problems could somehow help each other? Please contact me and let's email each other. I would love to hear more of what you have gone through.
    Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it!
    Yes, please anyone else with this same problem please let us know! I just checked the roof of my car and the part of the roof where the roof rack is peeling now! I am going to contact the dealer and corporate Mazda again.
  • mtcarmelfoxmtcarmelfox Member Posts: 13
    Automakers while retaining ownership of the paint facilities have outsourced process and quality responsibilities to the paint suppliers in a number of facilities. The automakers require the paint suppliers to provide vehicles painted to the automakers' specifications.

A visible manifestation of low film thickness is paint peeling, body rusting and stone chipping. The vehicle may be a factory paint defect. A review of the vehicle's film thickness per individual layer (electrocoat, primer, basecoat and clearcoat) will objectively answer if the vehicle was painted to specification.

The automaker, auto dealer and consumer should receive what they paid for:
    a vehicle painted to the automakers' specifications.

Environmental conditions do have an impact on the vehcile's finish. However,
    the vehicle should not be a factory paint defect at the time of delivery.

Conduct an internet search on the topic: "Automotive Paint Operations Outsourcing".

There was a press release on Vehicle Paint Quality Flaws associated with Outsourcing.

It described a study correlating factory data with paint failures.

Apparently there has been multiple newscasts throughout North America documenting automotive paint failures.
    Thank you for the info! I will definitely do a search.

I know in my case, the body shops have confirmed (and the dealership service shop) that even with the naked eye there is a layer of paint- the sealant between the top coat and the ecoat is missing. Mazda currently is refusing to correct the situation because it happened outside of warranty, and are claiming they have never seen or heard of this prior. If anyone else *even with it being corrected by Mazda* could let it be known when they contacted them, I'd be very interested!

I'm going to read up on the internet more about the paint failures you mentioned above. I really appreciate the help!
  • cmccaughncmccaughn Member Posts: 1
    It appears that I am having the same problem as several others out there. Last year I saw a spot of paint peeling on the roof just above the windshield. Later is was all over the roof . I originally thought this may have been caused by automatic carwashes, but it appears that several people are having this same problem. Has anyone know if this is a factory problem or recall. I really hate to spend several thousand dollars to have my vehicle repainted, but it looks horrible. I don't think I will ever own another Mazda.
    I'm so sorry it's happening to you, too. I've done all I know-- from sending formal letters to Mazda, calling Mazda, bringing the car back to the dealership, appealing to the dealership's owner, sending letters, calls, etc. Mazda claims they've never seen anything like this-- but funny how there are so many of us with the same issue! They are refusing to help as it is beyond warranty. I'm not sure what else to do. I have sent some photos and letters to media in my city, but haven't gotten anything back. If anyone else has any success stories or if there was a way for us all to band together to push this issue, it would sure be great. I've been so upset about the situation
  • tnpeopletnpeople Member Posts: 1
    Just to let others know. My 03 Tribute is peeling on the roof as well. Right above the windshield and two spots right behind the roof rack (on the back door/hatch). This sucks. I took it to have the back painted and was told the was it looks that, the whole roof would peel..
    Did you take it to your Mazda dealer? Were they able to get the roof rack off? I have all my paperwork ready to hand deliver to my local Mazda dealer where I bought the car. Then I am going Corporate and to the local consumer spokesperson at a local TV station to see if he can help!
    Check out the vehicle sticker. More than likely your vehicle was painted not by Mazda, but at a Ford Facility. Inquire of the paint durability criteria for each of the four layers. That is the only way, anyone will know if the failure is not due to a factory paint defect.
  • dissatisfied5dissatisfied5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my paint, peeling off in sheets in the same places! Has anyone tried the Better Business Bureau? This is what I found:

STANDARDS OF THE NORTH CAROLINA LEMON LAW
    The following is a brief explanation of most relevant provisions of the North Carolina
    lemon law. The complete text of the lemon law can be found at North Carolina Gen.
    Stat. section 20-351 et seq.
    VEHICLES COVERED
    The North Carolina lemon law covers any new motor vehicle or new motorcycle, sold or
    leased in the state. The lemon law does not cover used vehicles, mopeds, house trailers,
    or any motor vehicle (1) purchased or leased before October 1, 2005 that has a gross
    vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or more or (2) purchased or leased on or after October
    1, 2005 that weighs more than 10,000 pounds.
    CONSUMERS COVERED
    The lemon law covers the following consumers:
    1. The purchaser, other than for purposes of resale, of a motor vehicle;
    2. The lessee of a motor vehicle from a commercial lender, lessor or manufacturer or
    dealer; and
    3. Any other person entitled by the terms of an express warranty to enforce its
    obligations.
    VEHICLE CONVERTERS
    The lemon law applies to vehicle conv erters.
    PROBLEMS COVERED
    The lemon law covers any defect, condition, or series of defects or conditions that
    substantially impairs the value of the motor vehicle to the consumer. This is referred to
    as a nonconformity.
    The lemon law provides manufacturers with an affirmative defense if it can be shown
    that an alleged nonconformity or series of nonconformities is the result of abuse,
    neglect, odometer tampering by the consumer, or unauthorized modifications or
    alterations of a motor vehicle.
    MANUFACTURER’S DUTY TO REPAIR A VEHICLE
    If a new motor vehicle does not conform to all applicable express warranties, and the
    consumer reports the nonconformity to the manufacturer, its agent or authorized dealer
    during the term of the express warranties or during a period of one year following the
    date of the motor vehicle’s original delivery to the consumer, whichever is greater, then
    the manufacturer must make or arrange to have made the necessary repairs to conform
    the vehicle to the express warranties.
    This information is not intended as legal advice. Please direct specific questions to your legal counsel.
    © 2005, Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.
    North Carolina

I haven't tried this yet, but let me know if this helps, because it is after all, the MANUFACTURER'S PAINT!!!!
  • hunter68hunter68 Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list... I have a 2003 Tribute with paint peeling problems that began in '05 with hand size area peeling on the roof behind the windshield. My Mazda dealership did cover the costs of repainting the roof even though the vehicle was out of warranty; however, I had just purchased a 2nd vehicle from them which may be why they were so cooperative. A year later I hand another hand size paint area peel off my rear hatch. I covered the cost of this repair which was ~$350. Now I have more paint peeling off the edge of the right rear door cavity and a second area above the top of the right front door cavity and the edge of the roof molding.
    This is unbelievable! It is very dissappointing to see that Mazda is not acknowledging what is clearly a manufacturing paint defect. I'm not sure what my next steps are, but I can't keep sheeling out $300-$400 every 6 mos when a new paint peeling area appears.
    The 2003 Mazda Tribute was painted in either Ford's Kansas City or Ohio Assembly Plant.

Plenty of documentation exist on the internet (including factory data) that this year's model was released to the market below the automaker's required factory paint thickness specifications.

Do a fast internet search for Ford Factory Paint Defects.

Factory paint defects were sold to the consumer.
  • weeluboweelubo Member Posts: 1
    Mazda tribute06,V6 3L.Engine light on.code misfire on cyl.2.

O6 tribute has had the engine light on.the code read misfire on cylinder #2.Changed out coils and sparkplugs.After driving it home noticed i light came back on.Also it seems to misfire when its in idle.And it hesitates a little when i first accelerate until the car warms up.When i listen to the engine it makes a popping sound?However the car drives real good besides the first couple of juices on the gas.Please help. my mechanic thought he may have to take the engine apart to find the issue
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    just came to my mind....have you had the injector replaced or even check the electrical connector going to it?
  • wcwebheadwcwebhead Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Mazda Tribute that is the beige/grey color. After the first year or so the paint began peeling from the roof of the car in large pieces. Mazda repainted the roof for free at the time however the paint is now peeling from the hood, the roof just above the doors and in the crease of the door just behind the window. Mazda has said that they will not repaint the car even though I had a documented paint failure shortly after it was purchased.

I have taken it to several independent body shops and one said that he would not touch it unless I was going to repaint the entire car because any factory paint remaining will continue to peel. Another body shop said that he would repaint the peeling areas and thought that it may have occurred because the paint may not have been applied soon enough after the primer was applied. He said that he would be reluctant to apply any tape to the paint because he fears that the tape will pull off the factory paint. And Mazda says there was no problem!!!!!
  • tiljamestiljames Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have the same problem. Took it to the dealership and was told it was out of warranty. Contact several people about this problem and nothing. If you have any results please let me know too.
    Thank yo
  • tiljamestiljames Member Posts: 2
    Yes I have the same issues. Really need to band together with someone to get this problem fixed. I've tried everything. Maybe if we join forces that will make Mazda fix the problem with their paint.
  • cajun1955cajun1955 Member Posts: 3
    Last weekend I thought I would change my oil, change my transmission fluid, and change the cooling system water and antifreeze. Draining the cooling system was easy enough. However, refilling the system was nothing but aggravating and nearly cost me an engine! What the two repair manuals I have neglected to tell me is that, in refilling a system that doesn't have a radiator cap (Why not?), you MUST SLOWLY add the water/coolant mixture to the coolant tank and that you MUST also access and REPEATEDLY SQUEEZE THE UPPER AND LOWER RADIATOR HOSES, while setting the inside heater setting to WIDE OPEN, WITH THE BLOWER OFF! Apparently, this helps to purge the system of air. Additionally, I noted that, even after the thermostat opened and hot water began flowing through the upper and lower hoses, the heater core was getting no hot water. It seems that an air embolism still was evident. This resolved quickly, though, when I drove the vehicle.
  • rockin74rockin74 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same exact issue with the paint on my 2003 Tribute. Peeling above the windshield, hood, and now under the back license plate. Took it to the dealership this morning...service guy said "I ran a body shop for years". Big deal. Tried to insinuate that the peeling was caused by "tailgating". I then asked him if I was tailgating while going in reverse also. Very happy to find this forum. Have you had any luck with Mazda covering this problem? I would love to find out since my believe is that in order to resolve this issue the car will have to be completely sanded down...re-primed and then re-painted. Money that I really can't afford to spend.
  • keely430keely430 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been able to get anything done about their paint problem on their 2003 tribute?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    A 2003 Tribute would be at least 10 years old by now. What are the expectations for paint at this age?