Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Sunfire

Comments

• dissatisfieddissatisfied Member Posts: 2
    Well I finally got my car back after another 9 days of being serviced at the dealership. It turns out, that every time they removed the tank to run the smoke test, they never thought to look at the O ring seals on the fuel feed lines. This time they finally looked at them and realized that one of the O rings had broke and slipped out of place, which is what was causing the minute leak causing a loss in pressure which set the check engine light off. So, they replaced the tank completely as well as the fuel feed lines and ran the test again. Thankfully no leaks. So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the check engine light does not come on again because I really don't want to have the car replaced. I tinted the windows back in January (which cost me about $250) and GM is only responsible for replacement of the vehicle, so I really don't want to have to spend another $250 to get the windows tinted again. Other than this repeated problem, I am satisfied with the overall performance and handling of the vehicle.
    :)
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Welcome to the Forums, gkneebone! You might also want to post your question in the Got a quick, technical question? Forum.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• cindy10cindy10 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem (my car has 255 000 km !!) My traction control light stays on all the time now. Shifts gears really hard too.
  • rbellevillerbelleville Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know, the cooling fan has not been turning on when the engine gets really hot. I changed the rad fluid and just recently changed the sensor in back of the thermostat thinking that was the problem because when I unplug the wire harness on the sensor the fan goes on an as soon as I plug it back in it shuts of and never comes back on.
    I do not have air conditioning and it is an automatic if that can help.
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Forums, rbelleville! You might also want to post your question in the Cooling Systems: Problems & Solutions Forum, to see what the experts there have any advice for you.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sunfire2002sunfire2002 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used sunfire 2002 few months ago with only 33k km! After one month the light ABS started to go on with SERVICE! However, the brakes are working fine. I didn't take it to service yet, and now after 2 months i noticed that it is started to give some sound when braking. Pedal somtimes doesn't feel right!
    Can you give me some hint on this.

• chickschicks Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door. The problem I am having is that when I push down on the passenger side fender there is a knocking sound. I thought first maybe it was the strut mounts which I changed with no effect. I had the rear end checked by my dealership and the only thing they came up with was a bad muffler hanger. That was replaced and it still makes the noise. Also, now it seems that when I apply my brakes I hear a clunking sound coming from the same area, the clunking almost sounds like something rubbing.
    I re-adjusted the back brake drums but it still continues to aggravate me.
    The knocking sound is also there although slight when I am driving, especially when I go over a bump.
    I have been told the problem MAY be in the axle bushings, but have not tried anything with that as of yet.
    Any ideas would be appreciated...
  • redtide98redtide98 Member Posts: 3
    1999 Pontiac Sunfire It has like 120K on it since around 100K spark plugs started to just wollow out the thread and start bouncing around in the hole, causing misfiring etc. I have re-threaded two already and now its doing it again. Any ideas as to what is causing this?
  • elifelif Member Posts: 1
    that would be the coolant light.

in my 1995 sunfire, that light comes on even if it is full, possible faulty sensor or blockage somewhere, after a few minutes of 65mph+ driving it goes away. even after a full flush and refill serviced by a local dealer it still came back on.
    so i ignored it. took it to another place and it hasn't come on since.

good luck
    You should have your CV joints checked before you find yourself on the side of the road most cars around that or higher mileage have CV joint problems. Usually you can have them replaced for around $100 each or less.
    If you have Antilock brakes try pulling the fuses for the antilock system sounds like your anti lock system thinks your brakes are locking up releasing them slightly and then reapplying the brakes causing a "clunking" sound. If you pull the fuse and it stops there is no reason other than a annoying light why you can't continue driving.
  • etaketak Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sunfire SE two door, manual transmission. I've had the car for 2 months (so far so good) it has 50,000kms. I was given a saftey, inspections and emission when I bought it. However, I have noticed the car makes a lot of noise. When I go over bumps the boot covers sweaks and the heat shield rattle, and the car feels wobbly. As well when I change from first into second the heat shield also rattles. The performance of the car is in no way diminished with the noise, however, it is annoying and embarrassing to explain to my passagers who think the engine is going to fall out or my wheels fall off. Any help would be great, I would love to have an idea of the kind of repairs needed before some repair shop tries to rip me off.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I know this question was asked back in early May, however; has anyone heard any late up-to-date rumors about the Pursuit being available for 2006 in the U.S. or will Pontiac only carry the Vibe as a compact type vehicle???? I have a chance to get a loaded 2005 Sunfire with sport pac, etc. but if I know for sure the Pursuit will be available, I would rather wait until 2006???
  • budolegbudoleg Member Posts: 1
    does any one know how to take off manual window handle without breaking it
    tried to pup it off, but it does not come off must have some lock on it but I can?t find any thing
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    GM is adding the Torrent SUV, G6 4 cyl., G6 Convertible, and Solstice Convertible to Pontiac in 2006. Pursuit is Canada only.
    will up the $2000.00 incentive on the 2005 Sunfire and 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier in the next couple of months???? along with continuing the GMS pricing? I see they will extend the GMS pricing thru July (Detroit Auto News) :confuse:
    Hi, nortstr1,

Since this topic is for discussing the features, attributes, etc. of the Sunfire, you might want to talk about this in the Pontiac Sunfire: Prices Paid & Buying Experience or Rebates, Incentives, APR - Questions & Comments topics.

• 00pontiac00pontiac Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE...first you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on GM cars...I've only owned Honda for the past 10 years! This is my wife's car. Anyway, two weeks ago, the serpentine belt come off (the belt that runs the AC, power steering, etc.) The mechanic replaced a pulley (cracked) and the tenioner, however the same problem occured just last night!? What is happening is there is fluid (power steering fluid, so the mech. says) all over the passenger side engine bay. The mechanic said this two weeks ago, that the power steering fluid tank was over it's limit, and is that way again...

My question is this...Has anyone had this problem? Is it simply that the fluid is overfull and is leaking, making the belt slip off the pulleys? Or is it some other fluid, coolant?

Thanks!
  • lrmmflrmmf Member Posts: 2
    I bought my car with 19k and now I have about 50. Let me tell you, the reason WHY you have had problems and WHY your brother-in-law has had problems is because the Mustang is a Ford and who know where Lexus comes from- but my next car in going to be a DODGE! My boyfriend's whole family drives Dodge/Chrysler cars and his has almost 100K miles on it and has never even had to replace his clutch. There never should have been as many problems on my car as I had. A 1999 needing a new radio in 2002? Come on!! Also, in response to "could you really mean the head gasket?" I may be a girl but that doesn't mean I'm retarded. I did not have to replace my head gasket- it was LEAKING from the crankcase seal. I've had my check engine light serviced before and it came back on a day later. YOU TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT THEN. Even my grandma's car which is a CAVALIER has every single light on in it, and it has been "fixed" by a mechanic. Some things are beyond repair. "Believe" what you want but don't try to tell me about my car. I know it's a piece of crap!
    Can someone tell me what the "easy entry"seat is in the sunfire and how it works??? Does it rotate toward the drivers door when you go to enter or exit????
  • swrenswren Member Posts: 2
    The owners manual won't tell you where the flasher is, and it is not in the fuse panel. It is most likely under the dash on the drivers side.
  • swrenswren Member Posts: 2
    thats the "low coolant" light
  • nerdanerda Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a 98 Sunfire, and recently purchased a new battery and got a new alternator put in. Today, my car wouldnt start. When I turn the key forward it does nothing, and then after I take the key out of the ignition, a clicking noise starts (it sounds like it is behind the glove compartment). When I try to put the key back into the igniton, it beeps. Not sure what is going on here. A friend thought it may be some sort of alarm, but we dont have an alarm.
    Any info would be wonderful!!
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    We have a 98 Sunfire too. I replaced the battery my self just last year, I believe, and had no problem or had to reset anything after replacement. (Some vechicles need to be reset after changing or taking out the battery). Not sure about the beeping, but the clicking noise usually means the battery is low on power or the connection is bad. Did they check the battery to see if it was good before putting it in? Also, check the battery connections. Make sure the battery post covers are off and that the batter cables are tight. Make sure the battery post have no corrosion on them. You wouldn't believe how corrosion build-up on the battery post would cause the vechicle not to start. :D
  • xendlessinyxxendlessinyx Member Posts: 6
    I have 99 2.2L sunfire.
    I've been trying to install this fuel ionizer.
    But the problem is I dont know where the fuel line is.
    Can anyone please tell me where the fuel line is.
    I would be great, if you guys have pictures.
    Thank you :) :confuse:
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    5600 miles. Replacement of Airbag module and plastic trim on BPillar. Oil change and tire rotation. Well, it is not problem free, however, the Ecotech is proving reliable.
    Overall, the car is a good value.
  • masterchiefmasterchief Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2004 Sunfire 2.2 L, automatic, Moonroof, premium audo, XM radio, Alloy wheels, After market tail lights, an AEM cold air intake, 16000 miles, body in great shape except some tiny dents on the roof above the driverside door, I want to get rid of the car for an RX 8. Any ideas what price I should try and get for it :confuse: , I know right now isnt a great time to be trying to get alot for it since GM has the Employee discount thing goin on.
    masterchief, have you tried using the Used Car Appraiser at http://edmunds.com? It should give you an idea of what the car would sell for.

• 0tt00tt0 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    The light in the floor shift console has gone out. I haven't been able to find anything in the Owner's Manual as to how to repair it. Can anyone tell me where I could find information on how to repair this problem myself?
    :blush:
  • ipfooetteipfooette Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 Sunfire with 56,600 miles. My check oil light came on 2,000 miles after an oil change, and when I checked, the oil wasn't even to the dipstick. I thought it that was due to a loose plug in the oil pan, but now it has happened again. My coolant light comes on every time I turn, but I have made sure that the reservoir is full to the cold fill line. I've heard that Sunfires have had problems with the coolant light, and I know that most cars eat a little oil, so should I worry about this? I don't want to ignore it and have it turn out to be a bad head gasket. Help!
  • ipfooetteipfooette Member Posts: 2
    You need a special tool to take that off. It's shaped sort of like a disc with a notch cut out of it. You slide it under the crank to pop off a clip that's underneath. It's a pain without it, but if you have the tool it's a piece of cake.
  • greimergreimer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire, and I am having a problem with the door close sensor. My radio / CD won't shut off after the driver's side door is opened. I looked at the door sensor located near the bottom of the driver's side door, and it does not appear to be stuck. Any ideas on where to start looking?
  • gotaquestiongotaquestion Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Sunfire. I have replaced engine module and crank sensor, and I still do not have spark. What should I look for?
  • skyyvskyyv Member Posts: 13
    After reading through all the problems listed here, I feel very lucky. I have a 1997 Sunfire that I bought new eight years ago almost to the day. I went through some of those little nuisance new car bugs including having to replace the radio (which was under warranty) three times (After the third I demanded my money back, got it, my husband fixed the radio and it has worked ever since. :D ), but other than that, I have had few problems.

Over the past eight years, I have put nearly 180,000 miles on my car and the only major repair I have had to make was a new water pump this past February. The battery went 7 years before it died; the tires over 70,000 miles. It still has the original clutch and other parts including all the original bulbs which are all functional. Cosmetically it looks quite good considering its age and mileage (glossy paint with a few dings and very minor chips). I've never driven the car hard, have always done regular maintenance, and cleaned it regularly. Best $16,000 I've ever spent.

As much as I love the car I have now, I have decided it's time to get a new one. I've got several on my list that I'm looking at including another Sunfire. I can only hope that my next car will be as good as this one has been to me.
  • cotton2cotton2 Member Posts: 1
    That is the raditor/coolant light. Mine also came on, took it down to the station and I need a head gasket which will cost $1200.00. I have a 1999 sunfire

Check you coolant fluid you are probably getting low :) :)
  • masterchiefmasterchief Member Posts: 10
    Anyone have any idea whats the deal with the Supercharger for the 2004 Sunfire? I read an article about it in the Pontiac owners magazine, it said it was supposed to come out in summer of 05, but I can't find info on it anywhere, any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • crash29crash29 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I recently bought a sunfire with a 2.2 engine, 32,000km, 5 speed and when I stall it by letting the clutch out to fast, it's hard to start. It's like it's getting to much fuel. It only happens when i stall it. Is this normal?

Thank you
  • sorniesornie Member Posts: 1
    I heard that under neath the steering wheel are some wires. If you pull the right one you can disable your car, keeping it from being started. Can anyone tell me which one it is? I really need to know before tomorrow morning. THanks if anyone can help me out.
  • k2the1k2the1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently took out stock radio and put in aftermarket...Dash lights are no longer working after installing this, just wondering if it's possible that the reasoning why is because the stock radio controls these??? Any other ideas or know if this is true? Let me know please, going crazy without being able to see how fast I'm going at night. Oh...it's a 2005 Sunfire.
  • sunfire05sunfire05 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone I have an 05 Sunfire. So far I really like it but I am approaching 30K and I was wondering if there is anything I should pay particular attention to. I have been reading all of your comments but there seem to be quite a few problems. It is also hard to tell if your cars were bought new or used and how many miles are on the cars. Any ideas would help! Thanks.
  • kevinandkarynfkevinandkarynf Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 Sunfire recently started dripping fuel at a fuel injector. I pulled the injector, the o-rings looked OK, and I was told the injector had to be replaced ($75=ouch). I replaced the injector with a Borg Warner brand from the local auto parts store. There is no more fuel leak but now the car idles rough and the check engine light is on. Any ideas?
  • beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    kevin: I had a similiar experience on my ' 03 with 2.2 ecotec engine. Replaced #3 injector (total failure no leakage) with a Bosch unit. It ran poorly as well like yours. Bottom line, I was told by a GM technician that if you change out a injector you must use a OEM part (GM) or replace all four with the same brand or it will not be compatable with the EMC. I had 90K on the car @ the time and was ready to trade anyway. I think the $ of a GM injector @ the time was somewhere north of $100 per, OUCH !! The General is quite crafty, eh ?

believer
  • jricha08jricha08 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '03 Sunfire that I take awesome care of. I get my oil changed every 3000 miles, I still drive it like its brand new, and i take it to the dealership every once in a while to mkae sure everything looks okay. It has 42K miles and my fuel pump just went bad without any other signs. Repair guys say it is way too early for the fuel pump to go out. Anyone else had this $500 problem?
    jricha: had one go @ about 40K on my wife's Buick Century and one on my Olds @ 66k !! However $500 is a huge rip-off ( I assume a GM dealer did the work) Any good independant (ASE rated) shop wll do it for about $200, at least here in Florida. It is a big job and usually means dropping the tank etc. Not a DIY job unless you are a real wrenchhead ! If you make a habit of running your tank very low before filling up this is hard on the pump and will shorten it's lifespan.

Stay away from the dealerships for service as they only have the service operation to really make any money from. To hear them tell it they don't make ANY money selling cars anymore. When was the last time they gave you a new car ? LOL !!

believer
  • ab111ab111 Member Posts: 1
    There is no such thing as a pursuit, the papers lie, its not going to be replaced.
    icarbo: Hmmm, new fuel pump @ 85K miles. Did you get a OEM part or a el-chepo unit @ Peb Boyz ? A lot of the non OEM stuff out there is borderline junk.

A intermittent problem can be a real booger to find. If they (dealer) cannot observe or duplicate the problem and there are no codes set in the ob computer it can be VERY hard to find. I'd look long and hard @ that pump. Did this same dealer put in the pump and was it a GM part ? Just curious. Just because it is a dealer of your make car it is not above these jokers to put in a junko piece.

believer
  • babygirl24babygirl24 Member Posts: 7
    I put an alpine in my 97 as long as you have the adapter it should be fine. But with having an 05 the adapter may not exist yet or be defective. Call a pontiac dealer, and ask the service manager if that would create a problem with your dash lights. Just hope its b/c of the radio, b/c i had a car once that when you went to put the headlights on there was a problem in the switch and the dash lights and tail lights would both go out. If you've been driving for awhile you should know how your car feel at certain speeds. Pay attention to that. good luck.
    call a pontiac dealer and talk to the service manager and get his advice. Hey its free.
    My 97 sunfire is having so many problems with the clutch. I tried pricing out a new clutch and I was outraged b/c I got quotes between $700 & $800 dollars. I used to have an accord and the clutch only cost $250, I dont understand why its so expensive. I have been having this problem since last spring when its hard to shift the gears or even get into 1st or 2nd. I have been refilling the clutch fluid and it helps the problem. In the beginning it was once a week I had to fill the fluid now its once a day, and I even got stuck with the car this morning. Is there any recalls on any part of the clutch or the fluid parts? I really dont want to spend so much money on replacing the clutch, so I am opened to ideas. I live in suffolk county new york, does anyone know of a good mechanic that doesnt rape you with their prices, b/c my mechanic closed shop about a year ago and I've been in denial about any car problems since then. Thank you.
  • ajc422ajc422 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 gt and have had absolutely no problems with the car since i bought new. now i have an issue with the abs system. my abs light came on and i checked things out and found that i had no brake fluid coming out the rear brake ports at the master cylinder/abs module. had it scanned at the garage for the codes and it showed the abs module being bad. went to the junk yard and got a new master cylinder/abs module and still the same damn problem. anyone have any ideas. could it be the abs computer under the dash? going to a different garage this week to get a diagnostic test done. any help would be appreciated.