Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Sunfire

Comments

• lmf1313lmf1313 Member Posts: 2
    1999 pontiac sunfire passenger door power window, goes down a little then stops a few minutes later same thing same problem going up lmf1313
  • dodge9160dodge9160 Member Posts: 1
    I have 96 sunfire that sat all winter now there is a anti theft light flashing and it wont start anyone know how to reset it?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, dodge9160,

Try posting your question in the "Ask the Community" box on the lower right-hand side of this screen too. It's a great place to get a quick answer to a quick question.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• michelpmichelp Member Posts: 3
    have you tried disconecting the battery for a couple hour and replug it.to reset the computer
  • thebigbkthebigbk Member Posts: 3
    The only way that i know of is to have it towed to a dealership, because they have to go into the computer and reset it. There's nothing you can buy to reset it cuz then whats the point to have an anti theft system. Thats what i had to do when i tripped it when i put in a new battery.
  • lucho2lucho2 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 99 PONTIAC SUNFIRE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM,,,DID YOU FIND THE PROBLEM? REGARDS
  • fergie6868fergie6868 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 sunfire, the ac wont work. I recharged the ac system. The fan came on but not the compressor. There is power at the compressor and I have tried all ac settings?
  • mains1mains1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 sunfire that will not start. I thought it was the starter but I replaced that and nothing it still wont start. when I turn the key all the dash lights come on, the fuel pump turns on but nothing afterthat. I have no clue what this is can anybody help me???? :cry:
  • wawazatwawazat Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 Sunfire in which the temp gauge has gone erratic. When the prob 1st started, with the car cold, the needle would read something ridiculous like 200 degrees, then just climb from there once the car was running. The temps seem normal. Now the gauge is pinned all the way to the right, all the time. Anyone know how to fix this?
  • hollynjthollynjt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 sunfire... it runs great! I started having problems with the car shutting off quickly after turning it over... it only does it sometimes ....:confuse: its so weird some times the theift system light comes on but goes off quickly.. then again it sometimes stays on and blinks, could it be an easy fix??? PLEASE HELP!!! :mad:
  • mandykmandyk Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyone that can help me on this problem I'm having with my car. I replaced the starter, fuel filter, igniton switch, spark plugs. And it still won't start. It will turn over but it won't start. The theft system light stays on. I don't know it that matters. But then I noticed that when I go to start it and the little orange triangle isn't lit on the dash above the P (park) then the car will not start. I hoping that this makes since on what I'm trying to say. If anyone knows what might be the solution, please feel free to let me in on something. I just bought this car in Feburary. I know nothing about Pontiac's. Nor does my father. :sick:
  • driston1974driston1974 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1998 sunfire,and the problem is it wont take gas after it gets hot. it will sit and idle but when u try to give it some gas it chokes out. after it cools off some it runs fine. i dont know what the the problem is. please help :)
  • mtm6042mtm6042 Member Posts: 2
    try the ignition switch same thing happend to my 98 sunfire
  • mtm6042mtm6042 Member Posts: 2
    try the ignition switch same thing happend on my 98 sunfire :shades:
  • wade11wade11 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this site, so I may not be in the right place. I'm looking for some ideas on figuring out this code. I bought the car not running. Found it to be a broken timing chain. The car starts but idles rough. Smoothes out about 1500 rpm. Get to 4000 rpm and it starts missing and can rev no higher. MIL is flashing. Had coil pack/ignition module checked at Autozone. Replaced wires, plugs, throttle position sensor, number one fuel injector, fuel filter. Found an old code reading in the glove box for a PO300 random misfire, but not sure when it was taken. Anyone got any more ideas?
  • caylahrcaylahr Member Posts: 1
    ok i am looking for a transmission for a sunfire. what kind of transmission do i look for. What other cars can it come out of?
  • alpharecon91alpharecon91 Member Posts: 23
    cavalear
  • jaco0062jaco0062 Member Posts: 8
    To reset anti-theft light, leave ignition on for about ten min. You must have a good battery as the headlights will be on. Don,t touch the car untill time is over.This is also to fix start and stall problems. Alsoo if vehicle has a remote start, often the security bypas screws up and sets theft light.
    Everybody who owns a sunfire seems to neglect to change the fuel filter. The fuel pump can handle only so much. Put a fuel pressure tester on and note the fuel presure should be about 40 psi.I have been a tech for about 5 years and have had probably 200 cars that req fuel pumps due to improper maintainence. Fuel filter needs to be changed 1 a year. If fuel pressure spec is too low rec change fuel pump and filter
    Sounds like timing might be out a tooth
  • scuba1819scuba1819 Member Posts: 1
    My car's air isn't working. When I turn it on it works fine unless I am stopped, then the RPMs jump from 500-1500 and everything in between instantaneously and drops just as suddenly. It also blows hot air instead of cold air when I am stopped. The last time I used it, it smelled like it was burning. I took it in to get it recharged because I thought that was what was wrong, but they said the freon was full that it was an electrical problem. It also never sounds like it turns on if you listen to the engine. Any idea what this could be?
  • chneelchneel Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem as Dodge. The scanner states that it is the passlock device. Is there a way to disable this anti theft feature?
  • chneelchneel Member Posts: 2
    A/C clutch?
    No u can't bypass the system. Theft shuts down fuel injection. Rec u take to a qualified tech. Most likely cause is the ignition switch. Proper testing is req to confirm. Theft system is not very complicated tech should not have very much trouble.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    We have a 98 Sunfire and are experiencing the same thing. The air is very cold when moving, but when stopped at a light or so, I can tell the compressor cut off along with the cooling fan. Are air feels, warm and humid when this happens. Is the A/C clutch easy to replace and where is it located? Thanks :cry:
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Took our car in to have the problem checked. Our A/C system was fine. The problem was the Cooling Fan Motor. (This explained why, in hot weather in stop and go driving, the temp. gauge would move up in the high normal range.) The motor was replace for $286 at the dealership and the problem is gone. :)
  • gtomaniac1gtomaniac1 Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 sunfire 2.2 is starting to make an anoying strange grinding noice when driving. comes from the steering. does anyone know how to fix it or what is wrong.
  • slackermanslackerman Member Posts: 43
    Help, My '96 Sunfire with 2.4L and 5 speed manual is hesitating when I try to accelerate. It feels like when I learned how to drive a manual transmission. The car jerks, then accelerates. I know the clutch is starting to slip, but this happens at speed when I try to accelerate and when the car is already warmed up. Any ideas? My wife wants me to start looking for another vehicle; and this one is only twelve years old. Help!
  • 3ofjacks3ofjacks Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sunfire that had bumper stickers plastered directly on the trunk...right above the PONTIAC logo. In trying to remove them I ruined the paint and plastic on it.

In looking at the trunk, it appears that this is a trim piece that can be removed and replaced...( This is the large plastic piece that has PONTIAC on it and also has some red reflectors on it.)

The problem I am having is trying to find this part because I do not have NAME for it. Any one have a name and or a place to buy a replacement.

Thanks all.
  • mrjones4mrjones4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I started having a problem today with shifting gears. It's very hard to shift almost like there is not clutch. I don't know much about cars so I don't know if the clutch is gone or if its the transmission. Any info you might be able to give me would be great.
  • kcovekcove Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I own a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L and it has been a nightmare since I bought it from my neighbour. We knew it needed some work, but we didn't think this much. I'm at the point of deciding if it's worth sinking more money into it, or throwing in the towel :(

When we got the Sunfire, she was running a little rough. Through changing what we knew had to be changed and what came up when we used the code reader, we're still having problems.

So far, we have changed the intake manifold gasket, new plugs and wires, the Crankpositioning Sensor, the MAP Sensor, fuel pump (second hand), fuel filter, muffler (was backfiring and we blew a hole in the muffler so it looked like it had a pacman mouth! LOL). She was still sounding rough and we discovered that the fuel injector for the 4th cylinder needed to be replaced.

We did that and now the car keeps flooding itself. We discovered on the weekend that there was ALOT of gas in the oil pan and my hubby drained all that, checked all connections, checked alot of plugs & sensors for corrosion or damage and things seemed fine. He's obviously changed the oil and filter.

Can anyone help me??? Any ideas of what the heck is going on with this piece of junk?

Thank you!!
    :confuse:
  • lugwrench3lugwrench3 Member Posts: 1
    Got a 95 Sunfire 4 door.

How do I remove the front seat headrest?

Thanks
  • rousearousea Member Posts: 4
    The first problem occurred a few months back when my digital odometer went out. It has never come back on. I had to take my car to a mechanic to get new brake pads and I mentioned this to him and he said he would have to take the whole dash out to get in there to see the problem. I was in a hurry to get my car back and figured "taking the whole dash out" would mean a bunch of money.

I haven't taken this back to get fixed b/c it sounds costly. Anyone have an idea of how much it would cost?

I just noticed the second problem this morning. I have the daylight running lamps on my 2002 Pontiac Sunfire. They come on when I put the car in reverse or drive. This morning, the icon came on and then flashed a few times (and made a sound, like when you're turn signal is being used) and then went away and the "service" icon came on my dashboard.

I looked in my driver's manual and it says, "a flashing DRL light indicates a possible burned-out headlamp, or that the vehicle may need service to repair a stuck DRL relay."

Does anyone know how to know which one it is? And if it's a stuck DRL relay, how much would that be?
  • screwedupdudescrewedupdude Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 sunfire 2.4 liter, bought it recently as a fixer upper. I replaced idler pulley and belt to make car stay running. Car idles great, havent really had a chance to run it on the highway yet, but when parked or in nuetral it will not rev over 4000 rpms, it drags when it gets to that point and the needle bounces back and forth between 3500 and 4000 when accelerator is pressed to floor.

What could be causing this? anyone out there have the same problem and fix it simply? I cant afford to take this car to mechanic for diagnosis and unecessary repairs. PLEASE HELP!!! ASAP!!!
  • zdk3xzdk3x Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 sunfire and have had it for years with little problems. Now I have two different problems. Lately it has been whining/ticking. At first I thought it just needed oil, but that is fine. A friend said that it might be my belt but what about my belt? The other problem is my coolant light is on, I don't know much about cars but I figure check the coolant level and refill if needed but it is not low. After about a week it starting running high temp. Simply warming up my car for 10 minutes had it on the line to the yellow warning, but if I turn my heater on it goes back to normal range with no problem. When I turn the heater back on it heats up again. :cry: If anyone can help, plzzzzzzzzzz.
    Have you ever had the dex-cool coolant replaced? I know it says "lifetime", but it starts breaking down after five years...and that was five years ago.
    the ticking is really common with that engine my sunfire's got it too. its inside the engine nothing to really worry about tho when i took it to my mechanic to have it fixed he said its not worth fixing the engine will run a long long time even with the ticking. mine has had the ticking for about 2 years and no problem so far.
  • pale2112pale2112 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 1995 Pontiac Sunfire, the car revs at 2500rpms at 60km/h and 3000rpms at 80...is there a way to fix this myself i don't have the money to bring it in anywhere

any help would be nice
    plz email me
    palekid_04@hotmail.com
    Have a story y'all might like. A guy at work is planning on selling his 2003 Toyota Corolla. Seems it has some problems, these include the headlights coming on whenever it gets below freezing and the battery draining at other times of the year. As the proud owner of a 1996 Sunfire what was my reply? "Should a bought a Pontiac"
    :)
  • pale2112pale2112 Member Posts: 2
    yeah lol i love the sunfire great car, sure they have thier problems but they are a great car, i've never got stuck in snow or anything...besides the damn car reving too high its fine
  • WhpRdrWhpRdr Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody, I'm a sport compact enthusiast, really I'm a Toyota/Nissan guy, but alas I own this 2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE only got 74k mi. I'm going to put some work into as it continues to get older and require maintenance, until I have decent performance out of it.

For starters, I put 17" Momo rims w/Tsunami N2 tires, a sport (adjustable) strut and coilover package from Mantapart.com, strut bars, beefier front sway, tower bracer (front and back). I've got cold air intake on the engine, 58mm throttle body.

Going to put exhaust/cat convert/header package on it, maybe do a port and polished head, and call it a day. I'll be looking for advice and help from any of you guys in the community.

I won't be doing any sort of body kit mods or any of that garbage, I just want a zippy everyday driver, a sleeper whip.

I recently took some pictures, I'll edit and post them soon on my myspace page.

hasta luego,
    andy ;)
  • pengy68pengy68 Member Posts: 1
    Ok...here goes, i own a 2000 pontiac sunfire...the other day i left my lights on...killed the battery...tried a jump car would NOT turn over. I bought a new battery but the car will not start, has plenty of gas..used liquid starter and the car attempted to start...im thinking fuel pump? coil pack? stupid [non-permissible content removed] mechanic wont get back to me...
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Put it on your CarSpace page -- that way you'll be able to show the photos here.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

try putting more gas in it then turn the key about 15-20 times but don't crank the engine. just turn it enough so the dashboard turns on and stuff. this should build up the pressure in the fuel line. if this works, and then you have the problem again a few days later, it is probably the fuel pump. a fuel pump for this car is very expensive because you have to get the whole canister assembly, gas sensor, fuel pump, etc. if you turn the key and dont hear the fuel pump rev that could also indicate a bad fuel pump, but on some cars you don't hear it anyway.
  • byrd13939byrd13939 Member Posts: 1
    I have 97 sunfire 2.2
    I have very weak accelaration.
    I have changed
    Ignition control module
    Plugs and wires
    coil packs
    throttle sensor 4 times
    temp sensor

Can anyone plz help
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • mish2mish2 Member Posts: 1
    problems: drivers side headlight always looks as if it is not on to everyone coming at you, but it is on, very dim but on, pulled over too many times to explain, changed bulbs checked wiring anyone else, there are 4 other sunfires in our town with same problem. also get to a stop sign it kills. tranny problems, lots 2.2 auto trans. revs up high at about 25 to 30 mph then shifts, tranny just quit on me replaced but does same thing. anyone else with the problems. oh also always says its overheating and its not, so took out the sensor so i don't have to look at it.
  • maroufmarouf Member Posts: 1
    I have 99 Sunfire SE 4 DR 2.2 L
    Due to using my reserve key in the ignition, a problem took place. Its result is the the light is on all the time in spite of turning the ignition switch off. Is that mean i have to replace the ignition module ?
    I need HELP and an ESTIMATE , Please
  • fallen2fallen2 Member Posts: 1
    hi mi name is bart. i have the same problem with my girlfriends car. did you figure it out? please let me know. my imail is b.brzezicki@gmail.com
    A guy came by my house today to buy a trail-a-bike. He saw my car with the top down and asked what it was. He was stunned to find out it was a 1996 Sunfire convertible. "Sharp", he said.

Nice to know my old car is still getting compliments.
  • armada23armada23 Member Posts: 2
    hey, i have a 2004 sunfire and i was just wondering if they have a govenor? and if so where is the location of it