Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Hybrid - worth the extra $$$?

1235»

Comments

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    this reviews says it was the weight - Oh My Gosh those Sunroofs are SO HEAVY !! :)

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.cfm?id=16693

THIS review says elminating the sunroof adds 5% more interior space:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2004-09-23-accord-hybrid_x.htm
  • joonjoon Member Posts: 121
    I read comparisons between the PZEV and HAH. I have not seen one comparing the PZEV with regular Accords? I noticed that the prices are pretty similar (couple of hundred bucks apart). What are the downside (if any) of the PZEV? Thanks.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I am still looking for Accord Hybrid PZEV specifics, but in the CIVIC HYBRIDS, the AT-PZEV rating makes a minor sacrifice of MPG to achieve greater exhaust cleanliness.

"AT-PZEV model mileage range will be lower."
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    Weight = doubtful; it's ony 1/2% more weight.. trivial
    Interior space = no..... I've got a moonroof, and it doesn't subtract any interior space.

How about "aerodynamics"? Having that bump on the roof might increase drag.

troy
    Where are you guys getting the "sulev/pzev" rating? Even in California, the Accord Hybrid is only a ULEV.

The reason the Civic Hybrid lost MPG when adjusted to Sulev/Pzev standards is due to the lean-burn. Lean-burn produces a lot of NOx... too much to pass... so the California CH had to limit lean-burn to near-zero usage... which of course impacted MPG.

The Accord Hybrid doesn't use lean-burn, so Honda might be able to clean it up w/o impacting the MPG.

troy
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    According to Honda, adding the sunroof to the Accord sedan takes off five cubic feet from the interior room.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_full_specs.asp?ModelName=Accord+Sedan&C- ategory=2
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    backy:

That seems reasonable. Two inches less headroom, multipied by the square footage area of the interior roof, could equate to the sunroof taking up about five cubic feet. That way, if they continue to sell the HAH without a sunroof, Honda could lower the entire roof by two inches, thus reducing air drag and the coefficient of friction. Just think of the exponential increase in fuel mileage with less frontal area.
    I still don't understand? The sunroof in my old Dodge was flush-mounted. It didn't take up any interior space. Why can't Honda use the same design?

troy
  • grove4grove4 Member Posts: 95
    It was only a weight issue that is all.They had to cut weight b/c they were adding weight with batteries,motor,generator,etc,etc.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Flush mounted as in the glass roof raises up over the car body as it opens? Exposing the glass roof to all sorts of flying debris, stress from wind shear etc.? I prefer the kind that retracts into the car body, as on the Accord--it takes headroom but seems more reliable over the long term.
  • bar10dahbar10dah Member Posts: 4
    Is the HAH worth it? My answer is yes.
  • cleviclevi Member Posts: 6
    Unfortuanately you dont get this kind of mileage in the real world
    24MPG is typical for suurban driving. :lemon:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    If you want a high-performance sedan that delivers the economy of a large 4-cyl in real-world (say 25-30 mpg), then heck yes! Where else can you get a car with the performance of 250+ hp with all the amenities you need (power and leather everything, Auto CC, 6-disc changer, etc...) for $30-32k?
This discussion has been closed.