Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    BINGO!

You ARE the FJ demographic. You want to look 'cool' and drive on gravel roads once a month.

Thanks for being the only FJ wannabee with the gonads to admit this.

Maybe now the swaggering poseurs who claim the FJ will out off road a Rubicon will join you in revealing their real concerns: colors and stereo choices.

Meanwhile, in the west, we'll pass the Toyota dealer (again) and go get a Jeep or an Xterra. It will soon be revealed that either will eat an FJ in a tough off road situation.
  • 25yearsofyotas25yearsofyotas Member Posts: 11
    Well said.
    Actually, I bet it's more like 15% of 4x4 vehicles ever see dirt road use, 2% see real trail use and .01% see actual rock crawling.
    That's exactly why I ranted on those guys who were bitching about the plastic bumpers. For anyone who really goes offroading, we all know that stock stuff gets torn up. We either just live with that or put armor on. Adding stuff to make it more trail-worthy is a big part of the fun anyway.
    Oh Yes, 4wheeling is alive and well in the Pacific Northwest where I live. It's a way of life out here for a large percentage of the population. Some of us actually NEED an actual capable 4x4 just to get to where we work certain times of the year, let alone hunting, camping and fishing spots.
    No STOCK rig, H-anything, X-anything, Jeep-anything is ever going to make it down the trails we routinely play on - deep ruts, deep mud, big rocks, etc.
  • zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    From a build your own email I got from Toyota-4x2 auto-$21,710,4x4 auto-$23,300,and 4x4 manual-22,890. Very reasonably priced,but I bet most come with the more expensive option packages which will drive up the cost by thousands.There are 3 packages listed,the convenience package,upgrade no.1 and upgrade no.2 with both upgrade packages requiring the convenience package.Supposed to be a build your own page,but no price on the packages or options you select.Figures,typical Toyota,keep it a secret until the last possible second.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Whoa, I guess it does pay to be a poor cousin of our American friends :) Get this, in the states one must choose a convenience package before they can get an off-road package for FJ. But in Canada, it appears there's different, more affordable packaging. You can get an off-road package, or a convenience package, or both. It doesn't look like getting the off-road package (B package) depends on getting the convenience package (C package). Both packages list "roof rack," for example. Plus, many more details about the production FJ have been posted on toyota.ca

Here's a direct link: FJ Canada
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Saw the new FJ at the Washington Auto Show. It really looks cool. Unfortunately, it is nothing I would purchase. The suicide doors are small and impractical, as are the rear seats. Don't count on getting anything bigger than a small child in the back with a normal person in the front seats. The dashboard also reminded me of a New Beetle--vast expanse of unusable space. Very un-Toyotalike.

Too bad.

Regards,
    Tom
    Don't count on getting anything bigger than a small child in the back with a normal person in the front seats.

That's what 4Runner is for. Since FJ's wheelbase is 11 inches shorter than 4Runner, Toyota had to reduce internal length somewhere :)
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    I don't disagree, but I was hoping that, given the length of the FJ, it would be somewhat more practical than, say, a Wrangler. Not really the case unless kids are going there. Kinda like the wasted back seats of a Porsche 911. They should either remove them altogether or move them back far enough to be usable.

Regards,
    Tom
  • mickybajwamickybajwa Member Posts: 8
    Hello again!
    I have another pricing question. Does anyone have an idea on the "Invoice" pricing for the FJ and the packages?

Thanks!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    They are not publised yet but typically it's 8% lower than the sticker price.. However if you can find one when they come out I wouldnt recommend mentionting 'invoice' and 'purchase' in the same sentence. ;) JMHO
    Totally. I have an "in" (as in I know the dealer manager) at the local dealership and I am hoping to strike a deal but I sincerely doubt that it is going to happen.
    Plus I plan to head back to school so FJ may not be as wise of a purchase.
  • bowmar9bowmar9 Member Posts: 10
    code.......Model........Invoice......MSRP

4702.......4x2 AT.......$19,756.....$21,710.
    4703.......4x4 MT......$20,827......$22,890.
    4704.......4x4 AT.......$21,203.....$23,300.

For the 4704 model:
    Invoice MSRP
    UP..........................$2,024.......$2,560. Upgrade Pkg #1
    UR..........................$2,069.......$2,620. Upgrade Pkg #2
    CQ..........................$1,472.......$1,840. Convenience Pkg
    AL...........................$520.........$650. 17" Alum Wheel w/spare
    DL...........................$272.........$340. Rear Dif Locks
    GY...........................$559.........$650 Driver & Front Airbag incld 1&2 row side curtain
    RB............................$276........$345. Running Boards
    ...............................$605........$605. Destination Charge

For the 4703:

Code..........................Invoice.......MSRP
    UP............................$1,696.......$2,150.
    UR............................$1,741.......$2,210.
    CQ............................$1,472.......$1,840.
    DL................Not listed
    AL.............................$520..........$650.
    GY.............................$559..........$650
    RB.............................$276.........$345.
    ................................$605.........$605. Destination Charge

For the 4702:

Code.........................Invoice........MSRP
    UP............................$1,888.......$2,390.
    UR............................$1,933.......$2,450.
    CQ............................$1,472.......$1,840.
    AL............................$520..........$650.
    DL............................$272..........$340.
    GY............................$559..........$650
    RB............................$276..........$345.
    ...............................$605..........$605. Destination Charge
    Great info ... tks. Do these exclude TDA and SET Admin Fee in the Base Prices? I assume yes.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is the rear diff lock standard on the 4x4 MT? I like the idea of that.

Get one upgrade package, a 4x4 MT stickers right around $25K. Sheesh, if you look at the new RAV, FJ seems like a really good deal. For the little AWD car (RAV), it costs $23K and change to get a 4x4 (auto only), which wouldn't have ANY of the hardware you will get on the FJ 4x4. Not to mention the RAV at that price would be the 4-cyl, while the FJ would be the V-6.

It looks to me like FJ will come in at least $1000 cheaper than XTerra (and $3K less than Rubicon) when comparably equipped.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Thanks Bowmar9!

nippononly - I believe DL is standard on 4x4 MT.
    >>Sheesh, if you look at the new RAV, FJ seems like a really good deal. For the little AWD car (RAV), it costs $23K and change to get a 4x4 (auto only), which wouldn't have ANY of the hardware you will get on the FJ 4x4. Not to mention the RAV at that price would be the 4-cyl, while the FJ would be the V-6. <<

.Not to mention a RAV at ANY price is a car, (it's based on the Camry fer goshsakes) so any fair comparison of the two is essentially pointless. But I agree by comparison the FJ is a deal. Except for daily commute gas mileage...

And at 25k the FJ stickers at 10k less than a Rubicon!
    I also have a tame dealer. She has informed me clearly that a MT will be rare (as has been posted here) and that the rest of the ATs will be loaded (also as has been posted here) and they will go dearly with all the ADM the traffic will bear (contrary to much of the opinion I've heard but mostly not here) She says in regard to the rumor that Toyota has decreed MSRP (or less) but no ADM allowed - she says that is pure B.S. She owns her dealership and Toyota has never has any right to tell her what she can attempt to retail a vehicle for and they aren't about to start now. She warned me that in certain regions like the PNW the first MTs will be dearly bought, and lifetime friends or not, I cannot have dibs on one if she even gets one in the first year.

So that made up my mind for me. I'm going TJing. Probably... :shades:
  • portolaportola Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in the new FJ as I think it could fit a lot of my needs. I read at toyota.com, and elsewhere, that the turning radius for this little truck is 41.8 feet. The other specs sound like Toyota has some idea what off road use requires, but where the heck did they get the idea that you could navigate tight off-road trails with that kind of turning circle? It's beyond absurd--four feet more than the 4Runner!
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Well, I told you so(as did others). It's like a Toyota Discovery or Toyota H3. All yuppie and eye-candy and very little bare-bones off-roading. I can attest, though, that a 4-Runner sport with the active suspension is amazing off-road - actually better than a (2006 and older) Wrangler V6 or a Land Rover even.

The 2007 Wranglers, though, especially the extended wheelbase model, is amazing - much better interior and engine. Decent on-road manners, too, from what I hear.
  • vunicovunico Member Posts: 1
    hi folks...a little advice if you can...i'm #1 on the local fj list and i live on cape cod.this means my adventures will be on beaches ,dunes, hills and snowy roads,rather than the colorado rockies of my previous off roading.
    is a mt still the way to go or would an at serve me better?and please don't recommend the at just so can get a better chance to get my mt!!
    also,any recs on good forums for new england off roading?thanks in advance
    the mix of manuals will be that low. This is a model primed to have a manual, seeing as it is offroad-oriented. If 20 years of buying Toyotas has taught me one thing, it is that Toyota dealers generally know little accurate information about the product before its launch (and often even once it is on their lots!).

Now I am very surprised to hear of a more-than-40-foot turning radius. That certainly is extreme for a vehicle targeted at the trails and the rocks. I wonder how accurate that is though? I mean, how could it have a larger turning radius than the 4Runner with an 11-inch-longer wheelbase? That just seems physically impossible.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Depends entirely on you.
    Either transmission will do the job 100%.
    If you prefer manual transmissions and have used them off road (which is different entirely than using a MT on road) in the past, then you might prefer a MT. If you are manual trans novice, you might wanna stick with the AT.

Also, Autos are indeed great for sand. It's the only time I would like one, personally. (Well, driving in the city is nicer with an Auto too. I must be getting old...)
    this torquey, the manual should practically drive itself, even on the sand or in difficult conditions.

• endoriceendorice Member Posts: 2
    Ouch. That really hurts.

I'll start by saying that I've loved all my Toyotas, and I currently drive a 99 Tacoma TRD. My off-roading is done in the mountains of Colorado.

I hate the turning radius of my Tacoma. It feels like a freakin' school-bus.

Glancing through this fourm, I'm really surprised at the number of people who think that the FJ is in the same league as the Rubicon. Sorry, for the off-roading that I do, it won't come close. If you take the driver's ability out of the equation, the Rubicon is going to be a more capable vehicle. Look at clearances, departure/approach angles, turning radius, gearing and the Rubicon will come out on top. And the suspension on the Jeep is easy to modify, if you're really serious about crawling.

With that said, Toyota quality far exceeds what Jeep puts out there. I just wished the FJ was more of a contender.
  • absolutboy20absolutboy20 Member Posts: 24
    I've been reading this forum for a while and I am DEFINITELY what some of you would refer to as the yuppie mid 20's guy who is interested in the FJ for it's looks rather than its abundance of off-road prowlness. The most this vehicle will see in terms of dirt and muck would be an unshoveled parking lot filled with snow at the resorts. And as I do love the exterior of the FJ in black, I am a little dismayed by the lack of interior features and the price tag once the bells and whistles are added.

If I just did a quick calculation, and adding Upgrade Package #2, convenience package, airbags, running boards to a 4x4 auto, the MSRP is around $28,755. I would also want the other accessories including the wind deflector with offroad lights, aux driving lights, and ARMREST?! So I'm assuming this will push the MSRP well over 30k.

I've been pretty much set on getting the new Rav v6 Limited fully loaded with dual climate, leather, heated seats, optitron gauges, etc. etc. Although pricing for the 6 banger hasn't been revealed yet, it would put it around 31k I assume. Why I like the Rav is because of its fast acceleration, regular fuel, and better mpg. UNFORTUNATELY, I wish it had the unique styling like the FJ has.

So now I'm faced with whether I want to give up practicality and features for an awesome style... And for the folks who have seen the FJ in person, here's a yuppie question: Does it have an AUX input for the stereo? (Gotta be able to connect the Ipod directly. The wireless FM transmitters never work).
    if you can stand the 10 hp hit, you can run the FJ on regular unleaded as well. And with what, 240 hp or something like that?, you probably won't miss those 10 horses too much...

• alaskanroveralaskanrover Member Posts: 2
    I tend to agree. Though I don't consider myself any sort of seasoned rockcrawler, I think the FJ is built to a marketing demographic, not to true off-roading. However, I do think it can make a decent run with a few good mods along the way.

Looking through the threads, a lot of folks are buying for looks, and not really for what it should be intended for. Not to discount the FJ, because I can't wait to get my hands on it, but I have a few thoughts myself. It may not be the perfect product, but hey it was an offshoot for toyota anyways. How many serious rock crawling capabilities can you have on an island, and when you don't have a real japanese word for "truck" either?

I can't wait to get ahold of an FJ, it promises more capabilites than my 4runner proved roaming around in the interior of Alaska. Also, I'm not worried about plastic bumpers or rear visibility, since Iam planning to mod and customize it to what I think I want anyways. Good baseline for a start.

Besides...you're not playing hard enough if you don't break something in the process! :shades:
  • alaskanroveralaskanrover Member Posts: 2
    To me, I thought the V8 model 4runners lost a lot of capability. Sure, it was nice to be able to pull a few more things with it (and still be able to accelerate), but it was also slightly taller with less ground clearance. Plus the styling just made it plain ugly. At least the 96-04 varieties still had some reasonable clout within their class. I had the 99 variety in Alaska, and put it to the test, and agree with road & driver & other mags at the time that it was the top of its class for capability. It was narrower, had higher ground clearance, better approach angles, and felt like it was worth the price. Looks like the FJ is taking the same drive train right now, but I would expect this to change in 2-3 yrs as the design evolves in typical toyota fashion.

I've never owned a wrangler, but had spent a lot of time in New Mexico where folks have nothing to do but climb over rocks and trails. Got to be something to the jeep setup, otherwise it wouldn't be a top choice of many...
  • justfredjustfred Member Posts: 9
    ...from Longo Toyota in El Monte, CA. 4x, auto, loaded, blue. Put down a $500 deposit and I guess I'm around #70 on the list. This gives me "right of first refusal" when they come in; if I test drive it and don't like it, I get my deposit back.

My current vehicle is a 1998 Land Rover Discovery. I drive mostly on the road but occasionally down rocky trails and out to the desert camping; sometimes on trails and beaches in Baja. I don't like getting stuck. The Disco has been awesome, but it's got 180,000 miles and is leaking oil, and the leather seats aren't very comfortable for long trips, you tend to slip off. I also own a Pinzgauer and a Haflinger, as well as a Vanagon camper, tho I'll probably sell the camper.

My main concerns with the FJ are the visibility - if you're a passenger in the back seat, does it feel like you're in a cave? - storage - I carry lots of crap around with me, have appreciated all the little cubby holes and spaces in the Rover, especially the center console, not sure if the FJ even has one. And of course, comfort - how will it be to sit in for hours on the freeway waiting to get out to the desert? I know I can't sleep in it, which is disappointing; and I would rather have a tailgate, tho the tire on the back is nice for use as a bike rack. Apparently you can't order dealer accessories yet but I'll probably throw on a bunch of those. I know I need a tow hitch and I hope it'll be able to tow the Pinzgauer, which I've done with the Rover. I also wish it came in green; I know you can paint new vehicles but that seems like such a waste!

The other vehicles I considered were the Xterra - for such a big vehicle, it feels really small inside! The Freelander SE3 - cute, small, a bit difficult to get in and out of but I like the the removable top and sunroofs, don't like the lack of 4low and the way the muffler hangs down (if I pass on the FJ I'll probably get one of these tho). Didn't even consider a Jeep - I think they're overpriced and very cheaply constructed. Wish they still sold Defenders but they were especially overpriced when used. Also considered dropping just driving the Pinzgauer, which isn't comfortable at all and won't fit in most parking garages.

In any case, I'm in line to test drive the fj, and looking forward to it.
    Justfred, you sound like you really need a 1997 Defender 90. It's going to out-everything the Wrangler and FJ, and you can find a low-mileage yuppie driven model for about 20-24K now. Worth every penny, IMO.
    I've thought about the D90; but they're just too expensive. At 60K miles (about where the $30 and under ones are), the engine is just about ready for some expensive servicing (I know, my Disco had 30K when I bought it). A soft top isn't practical - I park outside and it's loud on the highway; and besides U-haul won't rent a trailer to you if you have a convertible. And why bother with a D90 if you have a fiberglass hard top? Plus it's smaller; my girlfriend borrows the truck to carry stuff around. Probably not that much smaller than the FJ, but at least I can lock the doors in the Toyota.

I should know; I've owned several 88"s and several 109s. If I could get a 110 3-door or pickup I'd be all over that. I've even thought of getting a D90 and swapping out parts to turn it into that.

But practically speaking, I have to drive from LA to San Diego about twice a month, on the freeway. I want a truck that has everything, even if it isn't perfect at anything.

BTW I also considered the Touareg. Too much leather and carpet. If they made a utility version, I'd be much more tempted.

In some fantasy I'd like to own a used truck lot, exclusively for 4x4 (and in the case of the Pinz, 6x6) expedition vehicles. Maybe sell BMW enduro bikes as well. Work my way up to amphibious and STOL aircraft. But that way I could have all the vehicles I want, and use them whenever I needed. Maybe rent 'em out as well.

We'll see. I'm still considering the FJ a "reserved test drive".
    bringing back the Defender on a shortened LR3 platform next year? Much like the FJ's relationship to the 4Runner. If you can get by for a year, LR may yet have the vehicle for you.

• fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    If I could afford one of those and a sports car I would be in heaven!!! :shades: Anybody want to loan me $70K for ever?? :confuse:
  • freaking102freaking102 Member Posts: 11
    Sounds like you would like the 4runner. Comfy on the highway, plenty of room inside, decent offroad capabilities for what you do, and mechanically dependable. Surpassses the freelander and xterra in my not so humble opinion.
  • portolaportola Member Posts: 2
    There is little doubt that the FJ Cruiser is going to be a great car, but that turning circle shows that it is not really a champion off roader. No problem, though, because there are lots of other areas in which to excel.

For me, I think the 4Runner is a better proposition. Same drive train, excellent ability in moderate off-road terrain, and true enjoy-the-ride-anywhere. Take all your stuff too.

The FJ may be a little better than the 4Runner in the really fun stuff, but then I already have a Wrangler Rubicon for that. I just need both.
    www.real4x4.com

Me? I want a Volvo 303. 16 inches of clearance should be enough. Lol.
    All the Volvo 303s I've seen were in pretty bad shape. It's a lot easier to get a Pinzgauer, and they seem to be more ergonomic anyway. I was trying to get a Land Rover 101 when I found the Pinz. And I also bought its little brother, the Haflinger.

My pictures are at

http://www.obtainium.org/gallery/Vehicles

in case you're interested.
    You could always get a UniMog. Nothing wrong with that. But, me? I've seen a mint condition 303 before and it's amazing. Everyone stares at it as well - you definately are the only person driving one :)
    The first allocation on the FJ's came out today. We 'earned' in Toyota's system, two 6 spd MT's and 6 AT's - all 4WD. The release date is March 27th here in CAT.
    Where will FJ be built? Does anyone know? Thank you!
  • bowmar9bowmar9 Member Posts: 10
    Tahara Japan
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and over the last ten months various reviews of the FJ show different dimensions for the length of the FJ.

The most recent Motor Trend lists the length of the FJ at approximately 183.7 inches.

Past articles have listed the length as 177.6 inches.

I have also seen conflicting numbers regarding gas milage?

Does anyone have the unshakeable facts regarding length and gas mileage?
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    I'd guess that 6 inch difference is about the width of the spare tire hanging on the bback.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    18/22 (2WD AT) 16/19 (4WD MT) 17/21 (4WD AT)

Toyota lists length as 183.9 inches.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    I am very much looking forward to a testdrive. The FJ reminds me of a genetic cross between a Mini Cooper and a Hummer with Toyota quality.
  • bcb1bcb1 Member Posts: 149
    Hmm. Wife has been looking at the FJ and kinda likes it. We have Carmax Laurel, MD about an hour or so away, and they sell brand new Toyotas for a reasonable cost over invoice. They'll probably be sellin' like hotcakes when they first get them, though.

Ah, no problem. That'll just give me until late this year or early '07 to save up a few more pennies so we won't have to take out a loan for one. I hate having car payments anyway! ;)
    Unless for some reason the initial reaction is a THUD... I believe that with the limited supply that it may become a Prius-like situation with orders out 2-6 months. Addendums will abound if this is the case. Dont be surprised if the initial several months have the lot vehicles decked out to the hilt with accessories.
  • bcb1bcb1 Member Posts: 149
    I'm fully expecting it to be quite a hit. Nice looking in a weird sort of way, with Toyota quality, the heritage to the original FJ, and a decent low to mid $20's price...that all adds up to be quite a winner, in my opinion.

I'm not so sure that it might be a little too spartan for our taste. We'll have to drive one and find out. She also likes the newer body style 4 Runner, so a used one might be a better choice for her. And there's always the possiblity of getting her a used '99 or '00 Toyota Land Cruiser...they're really nice, and they would be in the high teens/low 20's range we're looking at.

I'm one of those buyers that is really never in a hurry. Since we pay anywhere from 75% to 100% cash, and we take our time, buying a car is actually fun for us.
    I've given up on this board and moved to:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/

..which seems to have more frequent traffic. If you're still checking this board, you'd probably be welcome there!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    If Toyota were to put a diesel in the FJ Cruiser I would probably come back to the fold. I did love my 1964 Land Cruiser. It just had a lousy engine. If the FJ lives up to it's off road heritage, it should be a winner in that price range.